Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,365 members, 7,861,003 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:43 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (157) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (819993 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by toyibanj(m): 8:24pm On Nov 17, 2007
Geees:

Good idea set price limits that way you don't buy at the top especially for the short term.
I prefer this oreder though UNIC, Law Union and Crusader.
Cheers
@Geees
Could you please explain why unic is your 1st choice before law union and crusader. We can all learn something.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:32pm On Nov 17, 2007
Sorry oh, But there seems to be a lot of recycling/repetition on this thread. If you get any info,act on it. Price dey run leave you oh.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:38pm On Nov 17, 2007
The coming week should be upbeat especially for investors in the Insurance sector. If the hold back by sellers persists it could be a positive driver for other companies as alternative opportunities are sought for.
Article,

Get ready to exit insurance stocks by Friday 23rd latest.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 8:52pm On Nov 17, 2007
personally i dont see the need to rush out of fundamentally sound stocks in the insurance sector by thursday or friday.
most companies at still releasing their Q3 results and this should help them rally further. Well am neck deep in MBenefit and as such my initial exit plan was for Q2 2008 when their end of year results would be released. if something significant happens before then, i will bail out. Kind of weary of this 25% strategy dont think it can work all the time. i might be wrong though.

PS. read somewhere on this thread MBeneifts are planning a PO, is this true and where did that info originate from. They already have the highest number of outstanding shares in the insurance secotr if my calculations are correct. make dem no gree make i vex oh, grin shocked
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 8:54pm On Nov 17, 2007
toyibanj:

@Geees
Could you please explain why unic is your 1st choice before law union and crusader. We can all learn something.

Unic is quietly making money.
It also has good fundamentals and in a unique business idea of health insurance
Results published show over 50% growth from this period last year.  According to Nigerian securities site their current PAT is half way near their projected PAT.
They have a smaller outstanding number of shares than the other two.  So the chances that they'll meet and surpass their target is higher.
Strictly for short term if you buy all three Unic , crusader and Law who do you think can easily appreciate in price if many people go into insurance as its going to happen?
I think its the one with lesser outstanding share,
Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 9:40pm On Nov 17, 2007
Mr. Cee:

@ GEEES, EASIMONI AND PUMPING.

Some one suggested Staco Ins. as a good buy because of being liquid and some good fundamentals please guys do you see some of these fundamentals the price is not as high as the Top three.

I dont know much about STACO.
I found this about them online http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1608&Itemid=49
Think they want to raise additional funds.
Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 12:42am On Nov 18, 2007
kpineo:

PS. read somewhere on this thread MBeneifts are planning a PO, is this true and where did that info originate from. They already have the highest number of outstanding shares in the insurance secotr if my calculations are correct. make them no gree make i vex oh, grin shocked

My friend, before you begin vex na my broker tell me and I have this to back it up:

Nigeria: Mutual Benefits to Raise N10b From Capital Market

28 October 2007
Posted to the web 29 October 2007

Shareholders of Mutual Benefits Assurance Plc (MUTUAL) has endorsed its directors' plan to raise an additional N10 billion from the capital market, to boost its capital base.

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/200710291017.html
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 5:43am On Nov 18, 2007
@ Frankiriri

I saw ur post on SMN about Bagco being a potentially reasonable buy. May I ask you why? Considering that they went into debt heavily, has the reason why they went into debt being addressed? I know they did some restructuring and positioned themselves for growth but all that debt cannot be for some minor restructuring right?

Then with the 1 for 10 stock split and excessively high PE ratio do you still think it is a good buy?

As Easimoni said this is the most expensive IPO i've seen but I am stilll open to some hidden but important points that I have overlooked. Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 5:45am On Nov 18, 2007
And I just read Zenith Securities Analysis and they recommend a "buy" with approx: 70% price appreciation within 6-9 mnths. Not bad at all for the number of shares one can get,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by toyibanj(m): 7:46am On Nov 18, 2007
Rob-roy:

And I just read Zenith Securities Analysis and they recommend a "buy" with approx: 70% price appreciation within 6-9 mnths. Not bad at all for the number of shares one can get,
Don't forget that zenith is underwriting the whole offer by 80%. There may be some conflict of interest here. Please be careful and do your homework.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 12:38pm On Nov 18, 2007
At the last count, it was discovered that not less than 10 insurance firms are at the verge of either having their shares listed or approaching the market to raise more funds.

On this list includes such companies as Regency Alliance, Standard Alliance now S.A. Insurance Plc, Industrial and General Insurance, Staco Insurance Plc, Cornerstone Insurance and Consolidated Hallmark Insurance.

Joining the list is Crusader Insurance Plc which said that it has secured the approval of its shareholders to raise more money from the capital market It would be recalled that Crusader Insurance Plc was one of the insurance companies which public offer last year was successful.

The company had said that the new move was part of its growth strategy which would enable it pursue its diversification project into other financial services.

The approval, which was part of the major resolutions at the company's 37th Annual General Meeting, held in Lagos, included the resolution to increase the authorized share capital from N4 billion to N5 billion by the creation of two billion ordinary shares of 50 kobo each raking with existing shares of the company.

Shareholders also gave them the nod to issue by way of public offer for subscription and or right issue at a date and upon terms and conditions to be determined by the directors as well as to merge with or acquire the shares, assets, liabilities and undertakings of any financial services company or allied businesses subject to such terms and conditions as may be determined by the board.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 18, 2007
Please pardon me Mr Administrator for some diversification investment tips

Have you heard of the Diamond Cash Club and the 6Star travel club.

There is a club online where you need to register and the members help themselves cycle out.
All you need is $220 and a visa card or an e-gold account or e-bullion account.
If you don't have one, click www.graphcard.com

The reward for cycling out for DCC ($14,000) and 6star travel club($4000). you don't need to market any referal as the club below does that for you.

I advise on the 6star travel club as members cycle out faster

The club link is here
www.newhoperising.com

This is a return of about 1700% for a relative period of 2 to 3 months investment although you are expected to plough some of the cash back to help others to cycle out.

Thanks for the listening
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 18, 2007
An advise on the FXCM FOREX MANAGED FUNDS

Posted an earlier link on this but received a response from one Zenith Admirer here.
Just like a way of diversifying your investment if you have some plenty cash to invest.
Like the going says don't put all your eggs in one basket, so for me,

I invest in the Nigeria Stock Market (not measured), Chinese Yangtse funds (85% returns YTD) , Forex Managed Funds (50% 3 months returns).
It is fun to have your cash in different portfolios especially after the great bearish market we have since July of this year.

It is very easy to withdraw your funds and it takes a maximum of two days to cash out.

I can say I invested $5,000 at the inception of the FXCM Sentimental Aggressive fund and Now it is worth about $7,500.
It will only take me an internet connection and two days to retrieve my money in part or in full.

For those who are into the forex world, I advise you try this for diversification since the forex is a very volatile business.

Happy sunday to all and hope for a good bull run at the stock market
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbolex(m): 2:54pm On Nov 18, 2007
Hello guys,
Am yet to receive my TRANSCORP shares certificate could there be something going on or are they sending it in batches. Plz who is their registrar
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 3:55pm On Nov 18, 2007
gbolex:

Hello guys,
Am yet to receive my TRANSCORP shares certificate could there be something going on or are they sending it in batches. Please who is their registrar

AFRIBANK REGISTRARS is the registrar to Transcorp Plc. This is their address: 9, KEFFI STREET, SOUTH WEST, IKOYI,LAGOS. TEL: 234-1-269-1867. Get intouch with them ASAP.

I hope this info will be of help, good luck.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 4:06pm On Nov 18, 2007
Hello folks,
Just seen something disheartening about UNIC their results with a negative PAT
http://www.fidelityunionsecng.com/mediacenter.asp

With this that means they were not able to reach their target of last year.

Please check the site and confirm what is wrong oh,
Many thanks
Chei
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gonziiii(m): 4:19pm On Nov 18, 2007
Guru's, at what price should i sell my lasaco (bought #2.75) and intercontinental (bought #26.5). I am new in the biz, i don't want to hold stocks, i am in it for profit, also wema (bought #10) , good advice needed. thx
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by chaj(m): 4:36pm On Nov 18, 2007
The UNIC result is "disheartening" o. I bought substantial units during their PO at N1.10

@gees
How do we reconcile it with this statement: "Nigerian securities site says their current PAT is half way near their projected PAT"

Anyway, GURUS: Do u advice i sell, and when?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by walcolm(m): 5:15pm On Nov 18, 2007
@ Gees & Chaj

guys you need to thread cautiously. you dont want to be responsible for misinforming over 150000 members of dis blog. i think there's an error in the page you saw concerning UNIC.

the table u guys saw (2nd one) is sayin unaudited half year result for the period ended june 30 2007 but the header is saying 2006 and 2005 . with a turnover that 's 61% more than d previous year, PBT that's 24% more than d previous year and similar taxation amount, there's no way u can have a loss after tax

the first table is the 2006 full year result and they made less profit than in 2005, it is not that they didnt make a profit. and they have already declared what dividend they ar giving for last year
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2007
Caution. UNIC did not make a loss.

These are UNIC's results. It was already posted on this thread last week.

--------------------

UNIC INSURANCE PLC UNAUDITED SECOND QUARTER RESULTS FOR THE PERIOD ENDED 30 JUN 2007
2007 2006 CHANGE % CHANGE
N'b N'b N'b %
TURNOVER 1.065 0.66 0.405 61.36
PBT 0.3 0.241 0.059 24.48
TAXATION -0.05 -0.05 0 0
PAT 0.251 0.191 0.06 31.41

UNIC INSURANCE PLC AUDITED YEAR-END RESULTS FOR THE PERIOD ENDED 31  DEC 2006
2006 2005 CHANGE % CHANGE
N'b N'b N'b %
TURNOVER 1.873 1.35 0.523 38.74
PBT 0.318 0.311 0.007 2.25
TAXATION -0.058 -0.02 -0.038 -190
PAT 0.36 0.291 0.069 23.71
PROPOSED DIVIDEND 5K
CLOSURE DATE 19TH NOV, 2007
PAYMENT DATE 17TH DEC, 2007

--------------------
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 5:38pm On Nov 18, 2007
So sorry fellas,
UNIC is ok.
Thanks Walcom for that, on closer scrutiny the site posted wrong results and i got to read it because it was marked new results,
My previous calculations and suggestions were based on the data from nigeriansecurities site and my knowledge of UNIC

On further search i found this on proshare site

http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_news.php?id=3183

The proshare figures are correct.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 5:40pm On Nov 18, 2007
Thanks Pumping/Walcom,
Will look again before i believe a web site.
Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 5:51pm On Nov 18, 2007
gonziiii:

Guru's, at what price should i sell my lasaco (bought #2.75) and intercontinental (bought #26.5). I am new in the biz, i don't want to hold stocks, i am in it for profit, also wema (bought #10) , good advice needed. thx

Depends on your plan
If you only want to make say 15% profit per trade including the transaction charges (which leaves you with roughly 10%)
Then its only when Lasaco for instance hits #3.025 before you can realise this.
or Intercontinental hits # 29.15 etc. As at friday Intercontinental had reached a 10% profit including transaction charges,
Hope this makes sense
Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 6:15pm On Nov 18, 2007
Bank PHB PO

I think short term or long term this is actually a good deal. That it is a good deal long term is not so debatable so I only want to review the short term potential.

My analysis is taking care of oversubscription, so the outstanding shares I'm working with is 14.29B. The prospectus is projecting a PAT of 16.1B for FY ending June 2008. Platinum is already on track for 14.1B at current levels so I think achieving 16.1 with the additional capital injection is practical.

One very good point is that new shares are entitled to dividends (or bonus but I don't expect any bonus) for FY ending June 2008 so the 33% discount is for real.

At the offer price of N17, the adjusted PE (assuming 25% oversubscription) is around 17. If you have at least 9 months to spare I think one can expect conservatively at least 50% returns on this one.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 6:25pm On Nov 18, 2007
Fidelity Bank PO

I know the general consensus is that this not a good deal at least in the short term but after the release of the last FY results, I think we need to look at this from another perspective. I was expecting that Fidelity was going to give bonus for the last FY results but this did not happen. Only dividends. It means that the 33% discount here is for real.

I know it still does not make sense but let me go further. Fidelity is projecting a PAT of 11B for FY ending June 30th. Fidelity is already on track for 10.6B. Based on over subscription the PE ratio at current earnings level is 18.

If anyone has the patience to wait for a year, I will expect a profit margin of at least 50%. In other words, worst scenario, you sell Fidelity for N12 this time next year. I expect Fidelity price to drop after TS is lifted, but what I mean is that in a year's time, the price will not be less than N12.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 7:16pm On Nov 18, 2007
@pumping

well done
i finally have someone who agrees with me on fidelity, at least for the long term
but then again, is there or should there be any other time frame in this kind of investments

as i said before fidelity is not bad
FCMBmay be better but fits the profile for shorter time investors (some people would say "speculators"). FCMB for me is yet to lose the "baba's bank tag"
that said, both offers have their strong points

well said pumping!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 7:26pm On Nov 18, 2007
Fidelity Bank at least is one of the banks that has been appointed to manage the country's external reserve.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 8:17pm On Nov 18, 2007
Hi, Guys,

I learnt that Fidelity bank extended the closing date for their offer. When will the offer close now?.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 8:18pm On Nov 18, 2007
my UNION is my force,
who said you can't eat your cake and have it?
thank God for UNION BANKKKKK.
this is more than a jackpot grin grin grin

want some beer?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oawele: 9:39pm On Nov 18, 2007
whoa,
you have a new member that is unfortunately a rookie.
but i most confess this forum is one of the best i have come across.
i have gone through the thread and i am impressed with the quality of people in here.
you are GOOD people.

i`m going to read the tread again and do some reading and then i will be start adding meaningfully.
but till then i`ll be on the outside.

if there is any material that any one thinks will help me in my studies i wouldn't`t mind.

but permit me to say this again you are all GOOD people.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 10:43pm On Nov 18, 2007
Thanks bro for the info! I see they are based out of NYC, I like the aggressive funds making 50% from July till now. Def a great way for diversification outside of the stock market. I see minimum is at $1,000 and that'll be increased to $5,000 in Dec, aaah wish I had the money for it now. Please keep it coming through I'm sure most peope here wont pay attention to this, but I like it o grin Pls can I have more info also on the Chinese Yangtse funds, Thanks!
http://www.fxcm.com/managed-funds/managed-funds-programs.jsp

EMMAACHILElink=topic=31554.msg1693150#msg1692874 date=1195399167:

An advise on the FXCM FOREX MANAGED FUNDS

Posted an earlier link on this but received a response from one Zenith Admirer here.
Just like a way of diversifying your investment if you have some plenty cash to invest.
Like the going says don't put all your eggs in one basket, so for me,

I invest in the Nigeria Stock Market (not measured), Chinese Yangtse funds (85% returns YTD) , Forex Managed Funds (50% 3 months returns).
It is fun to have your cash in different portfolios especially after the great bearish market we have since July of this year.

It is very easy to withdraw your funds and it takes a maximum of two days to cash out.

I can say I invested $5,000 at the inception of the FXCM Sentimental Aggressive fund and Now it is worth about $7,500.
It will only take me an internet connection and two days to retrieve my money in part or in full.

For those who are into the forex world, I advise you try this for diversification since the forex is a very volatile business.

Happy sunday to all and hope for a good bull run at the stock market
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by toyibanj(m): 12:04am On Nov 19, 2007
pumping777:

Bank PHB PO

I think short term or long term this is actually a good deal. That it is a good deal long term is not so debatable so I only want to review the short term potential.

My analysis is taking care of oversubscription, so the outstanding shares I'm working with is 14.29B. The prospectus is projecting a PAT of 16.1B for FY ending June 2008. Platinum is already on track for 14.1B at current levels so I think achieving 16.1 with the additional capital injection is practical.

One very good point is that new shares are entitled to dividends (or bonus but I don't expect any bonus) for FY ending June 2008 so the 33% discount is for real.

At the offer price of N17, the adjusted PE (assuming 25% oversubscription) is around 17. If you have at least 9 months to spare I think one can expect conservatively at least 50% returns on this one.
@Pumping777
Please explain how you came about 14.1B shares. The present outstanding shares is a mystery. On nigeriansecurities 11.4B,IBTC 8B, meristem 6.4B. How can we analyse stocks when we don't have all the info. Welcome to the NSE.
One thing we know for sure is they applied for 5B(assuming 25% oversubscription) budget 6.25B.
Inputs welcome.

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.