Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,140 members, 7,835,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (170) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816640 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 3:48pm On Nov 22, 2007
Naijadr:

I use UBA stockbrokers through their Non Resident Nigerian Program (UBA NRN), its def a good option if u live in the US, UK or Canada. I get very prompt responses to my email within mins and no more than 1 business day, matter of fact just got one to confirm that they received a request to purchase shares that I sent barely an hr ago.
Everything is accounted for, plus I like the fact thats its a 1 stop shop, bank acct and capital market. Plus I've access to other options like home mortgage loans and all that comes with the NRN program, takes me 2 days to send money to my bank acct using ubaremit, cheaper than western union plus it goes to my acct and not someone else's central acct.
Online portal isnt functional but should be in a few mths, e-banking is available, now i make transactions by issuing purchase/sell mandates to the UBA-US rep who is extremely efficient. 2 business days to buy/sell unless the stock is unavailable or very hard to get. Being a huge bank and because of the importance of the NRN section, they bend over backwards. I've canceled sell orders successfully as long as I do it within 1 business day.
Minimum to start is N250k

I like this one -stop -shop idea. How does your CSCS NUMBER look like when you registered with your present broker?. Is it numeric or alphanumeric and do they charge you money when you buy IPO/PO through them?. Let me know in your response.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 4:11pm On Nov 22, 2007
upward:

Oga pumping, I no de work for floor of the stockmarket-o, just trying to be diligent in learning, and sourcing for info, hoping that one day I would be like you guys(the big boys).

You are on the right track. Thumbs up. wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 4:12pm On Nov 22, 2007
Brothers and sisters in the house,

I need help . I am at present sitting on money but I don't know which stock to buy with it.

The stocks I have in mind are doing free fall at present and I was seriously advised not to go near insurance coys now.

My plan is to turn this money around within 6 months and move on but now, no good stock to buy with the money.

Brethren, what should I do with the money?. Is there any new stock out there that one can watch closely and invest in later?. I need advice.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 4:23pm On Nov 22, 2007
Ah ah! Tonyjon! Na u dey talk like this? You dey read this thread everyday. A bunch of us are sitting on a ton of cash (30% of my 'folio). Now is a classic bullish/sellers market. Not a good time to buy. If the run continues, we'll all be whining by xmas about how we missed making some money or (if the bears come back) we will be whining about how we bought over-priced shares. My bet is on the latter so I'm holding off further buying till the heat subsides a little. Paraphrasing Wanaj0: "It's not illegal to keep your money".
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by youngdoc: 4:26pm On Nov 22, 2007
@tonyjon

Thanks for your reply. I know both PHB and bagco are good but I want to pick JUST ONE and hit it real hard. Hence my dilemma. Which would u back 100%?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 4:35pm On Nov 22, 2007
@ easimoni,

Thank you very much o o - a friend in need is a friend indeed. I really appreciate your advise. I did not forget STOCK FIELD MARSHAL WANAJ0 AND HIS ADVICE but I just want to know if there is another short cut to the whole thing. At least man must chop now.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 4:46pm On Nov 22, 2007
youngdoc:

@tonyjon

Thanks for your reply. I know both PHB and bagco are good but I want to pick JUST ONE and hit it real hard. Hence my dilemma. Which would u back 100%?

Then go for BANK PHB. Banks at present are like money spinning machine. Apart from this, BANK PHB have good fundamental and there is hope that you will make your money back within a very short time. You can also read their prospectus before you make up your mind.

Good luck.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:06pm On Nov 22, 2007
Anyone buying now must be buying for the long term. Hence, you must go for fundamentally sound stocks. Flour Mills, Dangote and WAPCo comes to mind.

Nigerian German still moving on. 5% gain today in 16 deals with only 61,094 traded. Hopefully it will get to 28.00. Chellarams also is not slowing down. Now 9.34! Only 18,000 units traded in 1 deal!!!!

Hope NAHCO will get to 30.00 so that I can bail out. That is a seriously OVER VALUED stock. Same as Ecobank.

The insurance companies still have a lot of issues to sort out. I will stay clear for now. I will put a HOLD on them.

Access gained today. STill bullish on Diamond. First Bank is creeping up gradually.

For the short termers, better lock in some profit before a U turn is made.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:11pm On Nov 22, 2007
wanaj0:

The insurance companies still have a lot of issues to sort out. I will stay clear for now. I will put a HOLD on them.

Access gained today. STill bullish on Diamond. First Bank is creeping up gradually.

For the short termers, better lock in some profit before a You turn is made.

This is sound advice for Insurance, I dont expect this trend to continue. I doubt next week will be this rosy.

Xmas is around the corner - people need money to celebrate.

The only issue is, if you sell now, what do you buy?

Buying even for long term now is not advisable, because entry price is steep. Flour Mills is already over N80.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:14pm On Nov 22, 2007
tonyjon:

@ easimoni,

Thank you very much o o - a friend in need is a friend indeed. I really appreciate your advise. I did not forget STOCK FIELD MARSHAL WANAJ0 AND HIS ADVICE but I just want to know if there is another short cut to the whole thing. At least man must chop now.

Peace.

Who dash me? Abeg, I just dey learn for here OOOOOOOO. Na the guru's we supose dey call those BIG names.

We the boys go just continue to grow our wealth little by little.

BTW, if your cash is disturbing you and you cannot put it under your pillow, you can send it across to me. tongue

I can see that a lot of people are worried that there is nothing to BUY. If you BUY and see a correction resulting in a loss of 25% in a week how would you feel?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:18pm On Nov 22, 2007
yodiyokun:

This is sound advice for Insurance, I don't expect this trend to continue. I doubt next week will be this rosy.

Xmas is around the corner - people need money to celebrate.

The only issue is, if you sell now, what do you buy?

Buying even for long term now is not advisable, because entry price is steep. Flour Mills is already over N80.

Insurance companies are already taking a beating.

Must you buy when you sell? Is it a crime to keep and watch your cash? At least you can preserve your capital from losses even if you are not making gains!

If you are buying for long term, you are less worried about the daily fluntuations. Flour Mills is relatively stable. Being hovering between 73.00 and 82.00 for a while which is just about a band of 10%. No movement yet. By teh time the movement will start on those stocks (Dec/Jan), you will not be able to catch up with them.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 5:22pm On Nov 22, 2007
wanaj0:

Who dash me? Abeg, I just dey learn for here OOOOOOOO. Na the guru's we supose dey call those BIG names.

We the boys go just continue to grow our wealth little by little.

BTW, if your cash is disturbing you and you cannot put it under your pillow, you can send it across to me. tongue

I can see that a lot of people are worried that there is nothing to BUY. If you BUY and see a correction resulting in a loss of 25% in a week how would you feel?
True talk, Taking profit is a perfectly economically right thing to do,
I don't understand the obsession/compulsion to always buy.
Wanajo, Easy with the humility abeg, where is the small boy?,
No be u scare me out of my seat yestada with that 5 million american dollars gist. shocked still shocked
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 5:23pm On Nov 22, 2007
tonyjon:

Then go for BANK PHB. Banks at present are like money spinning machine. Apart from this, BANK PHB have good fundamental and there is hope that you will make your money back within a very short time. You can also read their prospectus before you make up your mind.

Good luck.

Peace.

[/quot

Afribank, N100BN
BankPHB, N75bn
Zenith, N130bn
Total, N305BN
Add  135% Oversubscription(Conservative), N412Bn

This is one good reason the bears will send us our Christmas gifts this December.That money will have to leave the Secondary market to the primary.
Meanwhile did anybody observe that on Tuesday, FCMB had just  22deals, 348000000 UNITS worth  N6.6Bn.
My take on this is that their stock broking arm is doing some mopping up to ensure FCMB rallies after TS is lifted.
So much money for just 22 deals shocked.
FCMB is on my buy list.6 months results will be due very soon and they will deliver on projections.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:24pm On Nov 22, 2007
Temmie10:

No be u scare me out of my seat yestada with that 5 million american dollars gist. shocked still shocked

No mind @Wanaj0,

Just being humble!.

Yes oooo whats up with the MTN gist, they want to chop from Naija Market as well   grin

I think the complusive buying is as a result of the hype and too much adrenaline.

But its better for my money to be looking than it to be reducing.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 5:25pm On Nov 22, 2007
Afribank, N100BN
BankPHB, N75bn
Zenith, N130bn
Total, N305BN
Add  135% Oversubscription(Conservative), N412Bn

This is one good reason the bears will send us our Christmas gifts this December.That money will have to leave the Secondary market to the primary.
Meanwhile did anybody observe that on Tuesday, FCMB had just  22deals, 348000000 UNITS worth  N6.6Bn.
My take on this is that their stock broking arm is doing some mopping up to ensure FCMB rallies after TS is lifted.
So much money for just 22 deals . shocked
FCMB is on my buy list.6 months results will be due very soon and they will deliver on projections.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 5:28pm On Nov 22, 2007
HAHAHAHAHAHA,

We were adviced on insurance earlier on.They opened on offer today.
Some of us moved away on Wednesday and took seats in the Access Train.

Lets leave the MTN gist.Focus on what our money can get.
The HUGE BOYS have their own forum discussing MTN right now.
Our forum speaks in Naira.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:30pm On Nov 22, 2007
I seriously Doubt the POs will be oversubscribed.

First Bank has taught a lot of people sense.

Meanwhile, I believe the Market will be depressed in December - lets wait it out for  2 - 3 weeks and see what unfolds.

Abeg @all,

Anyone dealt with GTB registrars lately? I need to verify my GTB shares, and its giving me a bloody headache. Its in my maiden name and i dont have any I.d  or Bank account in my maiden name.

What documents do they normally request for?

It's so annoying seriously it is.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:31pm On Nov 22, 2007
Temmie10:

I just reported the info about the MTN deal. So because reporter dey cover the activities of the president does not mean that he is on the same level with the president OOOO. N areporter of news I be OOOO

yodiyokun:

No mind @Wanaj0,

Just being humble!.

Yes oooo whats up with the MTN gist, they want to chop from Naija Market as well   grin

I think the complusive buying is as a result of the hype and too much adrenaline.

But its better for my money to be looking than it to be reducing.

One of the arrangers said if people can pull US$100,000 together they can be accommodated. MTN is not rasing money. I think some shareholders are selling their stakes. Things will become clearer once the full prospectus is out. For you people in Canada, US$100,000 na small money for una with the free fall of the US$ tongue

Compulsive buying is because people always WRONGLY assume that price will always go UP. Unfortunately, that is not the case.I always tell people to enter the train while still parked at the station. Once it start moving, just wave it bye bye till it gets to the next station.

So look at your money till you find a GOOD opportunity. Don't listen to the hype. Don't follow the herd mentality.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:34pm On Nov 22, 2007
yodiyokun:

Meanwhile, I believe the Market will be depressed in December - lets wait it out for 2 - 3 weeks and see what unfolds.

Abeg @all,

Anyone dealt with GTB registrars lately? I need to verify my GTB shares, and its giving me a bloody headache. Its in my maiden name and i don't have any I.d or Bank account in my maiden name.

Your PHYSICAL appearance may be needed. That was what my broker told me as per GTB registrar.

Well, try get a change of name sworn affidavit with the notice in the papers along with a bankers confirmation. Hopefully that will help. If not, come home for vacation and pay a visit to GTB registrar. Don't forget to introduce yourself as a majore shareholder of GTB. tongue

BTW, the interim result of GTb is getting late. What is their problem?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 5:37pm On Nov 22, 2007
yodiyokun:

Meanwhile, I believe the Market will be depressed in December - lets wait it out for 2 - 3 weeks and see what unfolds.

Abeg @all,

Anyone dealt with GTB registrars lately? I need to verify my GTB shares, and its giving me a bloody headache. Its in my maiden name and i don't have any I.d or Bank account in my maiden name.

Some People are offer crazy oh over here.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 5:49pm On Nov 22, 2007
wanaj0:

Your PHYSICAL appearance may be needed. That was what my broker told me as per GTB registrar.

Well, try get a change of name sworn affidavit with the notice in the papers along with a bankers confirmation. Hopefully that will help. If not, come home for vacation and pay a visit to GTB registrar. Don't forget to introduce yourself as a majore shareholder of GTB. tongue

@ yodiyokun,

Since your surname changed because of marriage, what you will need is a marriage certificate (photocopy and original)and they may also want to see you in person.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 7:20pm On Nov 22, 2007
wanaj0:

I was afraid of that Physical appearance wahala.

But I have all the documents you have listed except my bankers confirmation.

I only banked with one Bank in Nigeria, and the name has been changed to my married name.

Major shareholder ko! major shareholer ni! grin Na beans!!!

Ok I will wait till next year, na this thing go carry me come Naija next year by force.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by capuchi: 7:32pm On Nov 22, 2007
to all the gurus
When a company stock is placed on technical suspension and you want to sell it, does it mean that the stock can only be sold if another client of your own stockbroking firm wants to buy it?
in the case of wema, i can see that it is still being traded but my broker is saying she can't sell.

Also how is the closing price determined, because i know people buy a particular stock at differnt prices in a day though not exceeding 5%, but how is the closing price determined?

@fatherof2

your prediction on access bank was right o, but since d train don leave, which stock man fit enter wey do do like 20% before the year runs out?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gonziiii(m): 7:55pm On Nov 22, 2007
I bought more of transcorp today, hope to buy more as soon as i get more cash, guys i;m no guru but i advice u to log in, something is going to happen with transcorp pretty soon
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:08pm On Nov 22, 2007
Capuchi,
are you still trying to sell your Wema? grin tongue. Once a coy goes on TS, the whole world will be looking to sell. No one likes watching money tied up. Besides, if someone believes in the coy, why not buy the PO/rights at a discount to the current price?

Bottom line is Wema is on net offer (interpretation: much more sellers than buyers). Even though you see 2 m shares change hands in one day, I've heard estimates that 150M shares are being offered, your brokers chance of selling your shares is like 1 in 1000. Bottom line is if you wanted to sell your Wema, you should not have waited to see it go on TS. Once you are stuck on TS, it's going to be nearly impossible to sell.

Tough, isn't it? Even I still have ~20+ of my 'folio in Wema.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:11pm On Nov 22, 2007
capuchi:

Also how is the closing price determined, because i know people buy a particular stock at differnt prices in a day though not exceeding 5%, but how is the closing price determined?

The closing price is determine solely by the last deal that was completed that day, even if that deal was only for 1 share.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by toyibanj(m): 8:23pm On Nov 22, 2007
@ Capuchi,
Perhaps you can sell if you give a discount on the TS price. That's the risk you take for waiting too long before selling. I sold 50% of my portfolio for 12.27 and balance for 14.50 two days before TS. You may have to wait for months, hopefully not more than 2 months. Good luck.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by capuchi: 8:41pm On Nov 22, 2007
easimoni:

Capuchi,
are you still trying to sell your Wema? grin tongue. Once a coy goes on TS, the whole world will be looking to sell. No one likes watching money tied up. Besides, if someone believes in the coy, why not buy the PO/rights at a discount to the current price?

Bottom line is Wema is on net offer (interpretation: much more sellers than buyers). Even though you see 2 m shares change hands in one day, I've heard estimates that 150M shares are being offered, your brokers chance of selling your shares is like 1 in 1000. Bottom line is if you wanted to sell your Wema, you should not have waited to see it go on TS. Once you are stuck on TS, it's going to be nearly impossible to sell.

Tough, isn't it? Even I still have ~20+ of my 'folio in Wema.

u still did not answer the question ,,,i wanted to know if a stock is placed on technical suspension, does it mean that the stock can only be sold if another client of your own stockbroking firm wants to buy it or if it can still be sold if another person from a different broker wants to buy the stock
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 9:11pm On Nov 22, 2007
tonyjon:

I like this one -stop -shop idea. How does your CSCS NUMBER look like when you registered with your present broker?. Is it numeric or alphanumeric and do they charge you money when you buy IPO/PO through them?. Let me know in your response.

Peace.

My CSCS # is numeric, the CHN number is alphanumeric. I havent bought POs through them just yet, buy commission % is 2.6, sell % s 2.3
plus u can get home mortgage loans from USD $40,000-350,000
I also like how I can send money to my bank acct anytime which is great if I want to write checks in nigeria or if I'm traveling there, I can send ahead and then go to any UBA branch office and withdraw.
If I want to buy now, and all my capital market money is tied up, I send the money thru ubaremit to my current/checkings acct, once it gets there, i just issue a transfer mandate for them to transfer it to my capital market acct, and also send a purchase mandate. That process till they buy shares is about 2 business days. I can give u the email address of their US rep, not sure if he's the one doing Canada, but he can direct u further.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 9:56pm On Nov 22, 2007
@ wanajo,
with the diamond gdr offer, do you still think diamond will be good to enter now, it will add almost 4 billion shares which will bring their eps down to 0.8 or 0.9. also, look at gtb, do u think the gdr will affect diamond that way i.e limited price appreciation as a result of the gdrs on lse been unable to move at par with the listed shares on nse.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 10:00pm On Nov 22, 2007
@ pumping777, if ure out there, i was unable to get beta glass today and it has entered 14 naira. will try to get in under 14.5 if i can.
yhis market is frustrating for buyers oooooooooooooooooooo cry cry cry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 10:03pm On Nov 22, 2007
capuchi:

u still did not answer the question ,,,i wanted to know if a stock is placed on technical suspension, does it mean that the stock can only be sold if another client of your own stockbroking firm wants to buy it or if it can still be sold if another person from a different broker wants to buy the stock

No vex. It can be bought and sold like any other stock by any broker. But again, it's going to be v. difficult to sell.

(1) (2) (3) ... (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.