Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,799 members, 7,831,598 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (192) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816060 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by feelgood(m): 7:22am On Nov 29, 2007
@fatherof2,
Thanks. What do you think of japaul - do I buy now or the price is high?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 8:12am On Nov 29, 2007
@ Wanajo,

Ololufemi, on why do you think that ETI is expensive?

@ 173 now 181 per unit, how many units I go buy with just 200,000. It has even started its bull run and I am not willing to collide with it.

I dey try reach your level.

I know its a great stock and wish i could purchase it. A miracle might happen and I may get another 1.5 million loan from somewhere or can you please borrow me. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Thanks a lot bros and lot of respect.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Pennywise(m): 8:29am On Nov 29, 2007
@ ALL U NOT ON BOARD

INTERCONTINENTAL TRAIN IS ON THE MOVE. WHEN ITS GONE, ITS GONE. AND YOU WILL FEEL PAIN.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by st1(m): 8:46am On Nov 29, 2007
All The Gurus

Pls advice me on this. I bought Mbenefit @ 3.58 and Crusader @ 4.72 in August. Now Mbenefit closed @3.88 and Crusader 5.60 yday. Do you think I should bail out now and move in on other vibrant stock? Or what is the best exit time?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Bosy(f): 9:07am On Nov 29, 2007
The proffessionals should help a sister!
I have consistently instructed my broker on a sell order of my Wema, Mbenefit, Crusader and a balance of my money sitting in their A/c since August to purchse stocks like Acces, NGC & stocks that have made 25% returns within 2months but he has always been telling me the that the Bullish run is only temporary. But temporary or no temporary peeps have been taking profits. Do I have to wait for donkey years angry
Even @ then he doesn't give any advice.
Do you guys think I should look for another broker?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 9:15am On Nov 29, 2007
feelgood:

@fatherof2,
Thanks. What do you think of japaul - do I buy now or the price is high?

On your last question, pumping gave you an apt response.Which i agree with.
On this japaul. I haven't really looked at japaul.Its not liquid enough for me.
Japaul is currently on full bid hence the daily 5% jumps.
I would not normally advice you to buy a stock when the train has left.
The electricity on the tracks may shock you while you're trying to chase it.
Its better to be in position before TS is lifted.Leave Japaul now.Weekly opportunities abound in the NSE.

@ALL
On this issue of TS, why has Zenith and BankPHB suddenly moved off the offer chart.
It seems all the trading members of NSE are on this thread.You're all buying Zenith and BankPHB on the floor
and nothing for me to buy.Time never reachnow.Zenith starts on Dec. 6th,but its not on the offer table.WHY.
I'll see the position two weeks before the offer closes,maybe i'll offer N48.50 (N2.50 premium) to buy it off someone.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 9:20am On Nov 29, 2007
st1:

All The Gurus

Please advice me on this. I bought Mbenefit @ 3.58 and Crusader @ 4.72 in August. Now Mbenefit closed @3.88 and Crusader 5.60 yday. Do you think I should bail out now and move in on other vibrant stock? Or what is the best exit time?

You bought those two stocks at high prices relative to todays prices.You need to be patient for the next cycle and that'll be when full year results are ready for release.Most insurance companies are loosing steam fast.But for crusader that's 18% so far.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Bosy(f): 9:25am On Nov 29, 2007
@FattherOf2

Thanks for the reply
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:32am On Nov 29, 2007
finally caught up with the pages i missed. busy day at work yesterday.

on bros wanajO's point about having 40 securities in his portfolio, there's a lot of wise gist in that one piece of information guys.

one of the great investors of old said, "he that resteth upon gains certain, shall hardly grow to great riches; and he that puts all upon adventures, oftentimes breaks and comes to poverty; it is good therefore to guard adventures with certainties that may uphold losses".

i agree with Ben Graham who believes that diversification doesn't just minimize your odds of being wrong. it also maximizes ur chances of being right. i like the analogy of the haystack- think of the market as a large haystack. only a few needles ever go on to generate truly gigantic gains. the more of the haystack u own, the higher the odds go that u will end up finding at least one of those needles.

As much as one can afford, one ought to diversify and WanajO has the right plan and i am hot on that trail too myself.
A stock thats good to buy during a p.o ought to be good to buy regardless really then or else why would people want to buy it in the first place.

as much as we can, lets diversify. pumping, roughcut et al, well said
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oore(m): 9:40am On Nov 29, 2007
FatherOF2:

@ALL
On this issue of TS, why has Zenith and BankPHB suddenly moved off the offer chart.
It seems all the trading members of NSE are on this thread.You're all buying Zenith and BankPHB on the floor
and nothing for me to buy.Time never reachnow.Zenith starts on Dec. 6th,but its not on the offer table.WHY.
I'll see the position two weeks before the offer closes,maybe i'll offer N48.50 (N2.50 premium) to buy it off someone.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
I cannot help this. Your students have learnt so fast that they are about to beat you. Please be proud of them
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 9:41am On Nov 29, 2007
@ Fatherof2

@ALL

I agree oh. I hope it will still be available a week before TS is lifted.

What's your suggested entry price for Daimond. I'm looking at 19 for now. Need to make a quick decision.

Thanks Baba ke
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:47am On Nov 29, 2007
on union bank people, interesting reading no?

http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_news.php?id=3278
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 9:47am On Nov 29, 2007
ololufemi:

@ Fatherof2

I agree oh. I hope it will still be available a week before TS is lifted.

What's your suggested entry price for Daimond. I'm looking at 19 for now. Need to make a quick decision.

Thanks Baba ke

N19 is just perfect if you can get it at that price.Diamond is an excellent short term buy.Take position for the 6month result.
GDR will not affect nothing.
It was the 1 for 4 Bonus that affected GTB sometime this year.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 9:48am On Nov 29, 2007
aktopgun:

finally caught up with the pages i missed. busy day at work yesterday.

on bros wanajO's point about having 40 securities in his portfolio, there's a lot of wise gist in that one piece of information guys.

one of the great investors of old said, "he that resteth upon gains certain, shall hardly grow to great riches; and he that puts all upon adventures, oftentimes breaks and comes to poverty; it is good therefore to guard adventures with certainties that may uphold losses".

i agree with Ben Graham who believes that diversification doesn't just minimize your odds of being wrong. it also maximizes your chances of being right. i like the analogy of the haystack- think of the market as a large haystack. only a few needles ever go on to generate truly gigantic gains. the more of the haystack u own, the higher the odds go that u will end up finding at least one of those needles.

As much as one can afford, one ought to diversify and WanajO has the right plan and i am hot on that trail too myself.
A stock thats good to buy during a p.o ought to be good to buy regardless really then or else why would people want to buy it in the first place.

as much as we can, lets diversify. pumping, roughcut et al, well said
Warren Buffet the greatest investor we have ever known happens to be a student of Ben Graham and he doesnt believe in diversification  or should i use the word over-diversification he  invests only in stocks that are in his domain of expertise

Hmnnnnnnn food for thought
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 9:55am On Nov 29, 2007
aktopgun:

on union bank people, interesting reading no?

http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_news.php?id=3278
I read that article i think the strategy i will adopt is to  take up my rights and sell my holdings. UBN has not been the business though shouldnt really complain i bought @ less than N20 can't remember when grin grin grin grin. I will wait for N45 before i offload. Still looking for what to do with the WEMA cash and now another shed loads of shares of UBN waiting to be offloaded

Happy days or is it  cash out days are here!

The stocks i'm looking for are not available and don't want to find out what happens when you stand in the way of the raging bulls so to borrow the pun i go just siddon dey look  while i brush up on my tech analysisgraduated from the Fundamentalist/Talibani school cant get away from that just briiliant no shaking cool cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 10:01am On Nov 29, 2007
@ roughcut

warren buffet doesn't believe in overdiversification not diversification which is why i added that "as much as we can".
there is such a thing as di-worsification too where companies just acquire subsidiaries that arent profitable and a few years down the line once they realise their mistake, they offload these, but not without their earnings taking a hit and invariably their share price and all there poor share holders

i think some companies in nigeria are just OPM aadicts (opm- other people's money) and just keep coming back to the market for more istead of utilizing maximally what they've already got
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 10:05am On Nov 29, 2007
@ roughcut

warren buffet doesn't believe in overdiversification not diversification which is why i added that "as much as we can".
there is such a thing as di-worsification too where companies just acquire subsidiaries that arent profitable and a few years down the line once they realise their mistake, they offload these, but not without their earnings taking a hit and invariably their share price and all there poor share holders.
In the same way individual investors can "di-worsify" if in the name of diversification, they buy companies without studying them well enough. See the point always goes back to preparation and learning as u know well man

i think some companies in nigeria are just OPM aadicts (opm- other people's money) and just keep coming back to the market for more istead of utilizing maximally what they've already got
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 10:08am On Nov 29, 2007
@ All

Warren Buffet the greatest investor we have ever known happens to be a student of Ben Graham and he doesnt believe in diversification  or should i use the word over-diversification he  invests only in stocks that are in his domain of expertise

Roughcut is right about Warren Buffet. Even read it today in the Daily Wealth emagazine.

Simple Rules

The wider your stock portfolio, the less your portfolio risk and the less your expected returns on investment

The narrow your stock portfolio, the higher your portfolio risk and higher your expected returns on investment

For me, I feel I am still young and its better to take high risks now since I am not yet married with kids .

If I cant take risks now, when will I. Its better to take those risks now.

When you now have a family of yours, your risk appetite should reduce because you are not in the game for your own benefit but for members of your family.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 10:13am On Nov 29, 2007
aktopgun:

@ roughcut

there is such a thing as di-worsification too where companies just acquire subsidiaries that arent profitable and a few years down the line once they realise their mistake, they offload these, but not without their earnings taking a hit and invariably their share price and all there poor share holders.
In the same way individual investors can "di-worsify" if in the name of diversification, they buy companies without studying them well enough. See the point always goes back to preparation and learning as u know well man

Which is why you need to know exactly what stocks to pick and that is the point Warren Buffet makes you must KNOW the stocks you are picking and that comes with diligent analysis and research so as Warren buffet would say

Make the money for your clients

Dont lose the money
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 10:16am On Nov 29, 2007
@ololufemi pls read my reply to roughcut as per what warren buffet believes or doesnt

u are absolutey right about risk appetites and age and the stage of life one is at. we should all take this into consideration when making investment decisions and shakespeare comes to mind here,(or was it aristotle  grin) "to thine own self be true"

i like wanajo's idea of testing one's self psychologically and emotionally (probably cuz i'm a psychiatrist i guess)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 10:18am On Nov 29, 2007
ololufemi:

@ All

Roughcut is right about Warren Buffet. Even read it today in the Daily Wealth emagazine.

Simple Rules

The wider your stock portfolio, the less your portfolio risk and the less your expected returns on investment

The narrow your stock portfolio, the higher your portfolio risk and higher your expected returns on investment

For me, I feel I am still young and its better to take high risks now since I am not yet married with kids .

If I can't take risks now, when will I. Its better to take those risks now.

When you now have a family of yours, your risk appetite should reduce because you are not in the game for your own benefit but for members of your family.

Like a writer once said when you avoid the risks you also avoid the opportunities which is the reason all of us are on N'land to share and to educate and exchange ideas so we can minimise the risks in our investment decisions
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 10:21am On Nov 29, 2007
diligent analysis and research is spot on my friend

i just really get frustrated with the dearrth of info on nigerian companies. websites arent updated (in today's day and age where info is usually uploaded on the website before going to the press even)

the oversight fxns of SEC on this needs to improve drastically me thinks

i cant even get info on some companies to do a thorough analysis most times. thank god for this thread on that  issue
dont know what i'd do without the info thats shared here
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 10:27am On Nov 29, 2007
RoughCut:

I didn't want to talk yesterday when i heard 40 stocks.I say 40 (na wa oh,how many stock dey NSE).
Me don read many a time.Diversification is good to spread and manage your risks,BUT NEVER OVER DIVERSIFY.
Out of these 40 at least 15 will be stocks that cannot command good daily volume.You can put N200k here,N300k there and N250k there,when you add up all that small small money,they'll perform better in a well capitalized growth stock.
I dey back of Roughcut for this one (only for now oh).
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 10:35am On Nov 29, 2007
i see u agree on diversifying but not "overdiversify".

this is what was said actually. diversification is good and probably even necessary to hedge ur bets but as previously stated, look well before u leap in the bid to diverify cuz it may end up being a di-worsification which non of us want.

the old though of not putting all ur eggs in one basket rings true in investing more than anywhere else i think. the question for us to answer individually and collectively is "did u inspect all the baskets for holes first before u put ur eggs?"
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 10:43am On Nov 29, 2007
@ All,

For the Zenith Public Offer, You can put all your eggs and even the chickens in this basket. This is one of those rare baskets.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 10:44am On Nov 29, 2007
aktopgun:

i see u agree on diversifying but not "overdiversify".

this is what was said actually. diversification is good and probably even necessary to hedge your bets but as previously stated, look well before u leap in the bid to diverify because it may end up being a di-worsification which non of us want.

the old though of not putting all your eggs in one basket rings true in investing more than anywhere else i think. the question for us to answer individually and collectively is "did u inspect all the baskets for holes first before u put your eggs?"
Hmmnnnn you are a wise head on old or is it young?shoulders. You will kill another one o. You see a child that learns to wash his hands will surely eat in the court of the eldersi'm learning fast from jehoshapat the point being we are all here to share and learn nobody is a monopoly of knowledge.  Life is a network of relationships that is what  we are all about on N'land
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 10:51am On Nov 29, 2007
@ roughcut
i only aspire to be more like u bros cheesy cheesy

@ololufemi
if u are right man, i may even decide to buy more than a few baskets for this

from all indications (outside of seeing the prospectus with my 2 koro koro eyes shocked), it looks like zenith may be worth it, although i think its an OPM addict though.

lets wait and see what jim has to offer shall we
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 11:12am On Nov 29, 2007
aktopgun:

@ roughcut
i only aspire to be more like u bros cheesy cheesy

@ololufemi
if u are right man, i may even decide to buy more than a few baskets for this

from all indications (outside of seeing the prospectus with my 2 koro koro eyes shocked), it looks like zenith may be worth it, although i think its an OPM addict though.

lets wait and see what jim has to offer shall we
Correct me if i'm wrong the fastest growing sector of the Nigerian economy is Telecomms and yet there's not a single telecomms listed on the NSE at least as far as i know. I know there are private placements and stuff but it just occured to me none of them is quoted publicly on the NSE

Hmnnnnnnnn the next Gold rush whenever they decide they are ready to start playing on the NSE
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 11:22am On Nov 29, 2007
@roughcut

u are right on the telecomms thing as far as i can see. it is quite lucrative and all we have been doing is lining the pockets of our brothers in south africa.
the likes of mtn, globacom, celtel, etc must see the profits inherent in the NSE and hopefully will be coming sooner rather than later after their exclusive PPs

N'landers shall be waiting and watching with itchy trigger fingers i'm sure. cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 11:24am On Nov 29, 2007
i'm not saying glo and celtel are doing PPs now though. the only one for now is MTN as far as i know shocked
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 11:32am On Nov 29, 2007
aktopgun:

@roughcut

u are right on the telecomms thing as far as i can see. it is quite lucrative and all we have been doing is lining the pockets of our brothers in south africa.
the likes of mtn, globacom, celtel, etc must see the profits inherent in the NSE and hopefully will be coming sooner rather than later after their exclusive PPs

N'landers shall be waiting and watching with itchy trigger fingers i'm sure. cheesy

May be i should go and buy the shares of these companies on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. Surely they must be thinking of the nigerian stock exchange. I know Jim Ovia bought a telecomms company can't remember what its called now a while ago and knowing the man with his endless quest for stock-market domination we should expect a something soon. Hopefully he can build it into a world-beater  like Zenith.

Dangote also bought a telecomms not too long ago so i will watch the space. It just seems odd to me that  MTN and Celtel have not thought of exploiting the opportunities in the nigerian capital market.

Surely after South Africa the market to be in is Nigeria
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 11:40am On Nov 29, 2007
@ All

Pls after the IPO abi na PO in 2004, how many times hv UBA and Intercontinental bank declared Bonus Shares? pls i need this info urgently.

(1) (2) (3) ... (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.