Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,060 members, 7,835,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (421) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816598 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (418) (419) (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iconbull: 10:11pm On Feb 02, 2008
trustboy:

Firstly,I have some unit of COSTAIN PLC shares. I qualified to purchase some 'rights offer' during the recently concluded PO exercise.
Prior to this, my broker requested me to send a scanned application addressed to the Registrar for the rights circular. I did this and kept following up with phone calls. He recently sent me a text to forget about the rights offer, without offering any explanation.What should i do?

Secondly, i have exercised restraint in mentioning the brokers name, but i owe it a duty to other members of the board simply because i opened an account with the company based on recommendation from somebody on this board.
GTI CAPITAL LTD.
They will buy you stock you did not request, they wont execute your buy or sell order, they wont reply your mails and they treat you like dirt.
i second ur opinion o! traders beware. i had a client in my office on thursday lamenting about treatment received from this same GTI stockbroker at ikeja.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ben0524(m): 10:55pm On Feb 02, 2008
HURRAY!!!

HURRAY!!!, Good News for all DANGOTE FLOUR MILL Fans, It will be listed on the Exchange by Monday 4Th, Feb. 2008.

Get your KILISHI Ready ,
I don talk my own o,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 11:42pm On Feb 02, 2008
@princesege,
thanks prince for ur suggestion but with all the bad news i have read about cashcraft on this site and my own cousin's experience that not really an option for now. i think i prefer to register with CSCS direct.

@pumping777, @dollyp @all
i think u said u r subscribe to CSCS in a previous thread, pls tell me how u can go about subscribibg if u r non-resident. have tried all numbers and webpage, no luck so far.

PLS HELP A NEWBIE OUT!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 11:53pm On Feb 02, 2008
sorry it's Ololufemi that said he subscribes

@ololufemi  please advise on how i can subscribe to CSCS to view my account details would be appreciated
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 11:55pm On Feb 02, 2008
pumping777:

Na small he remain make you list the entire NSE ke grin grin grin The net is too wide. You should dig deeper and pick a few that you think will perform best.

Anyway, I have to disagree with you that ALL the stocks above are cheap based on forward projections from what we know now.

Examples. Japaul, CILeasing, Nascon.

I am not saying that these stocks will not do well but they are definitely not cheap based on fundamentals. Japaul is way way expensive.

@Pumping777,

You may be right, but I look at growth stocks like Japaul, C & I Leasing and NASCON differently.  Since they are growth stock, i enter them when i have the means.  I never treat growth stocks as expensive so long as their potentials remain unchanged and are even improving.  For sure, in the next few years these three stocks alone can grow to make anyone bouyant. At current price for me they are ok, as I am a medium to long termer.  They still remain for me cheap grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:11am On Feb 03, 2008
Mr. Risky:

@Pumping777,

You may be right, but I look at growth stocks like Japaul, C & I Leasing and NASCON differently.  Since they are growth stock, i enter them when i have the means.  I never treat growth stocks as expensive so long as their potentials remain unchanged and are even improving.  For sure, in the next few years these three stocks alone can grow to make anyone bouyant. At current price for me they are ok, as I am a medium to long termer.  They still remain for me cheap grin

That these stocks have good potential is not in doubt. I am only trying to correct the impression that they are cheap. They are not.

The reason for choosing them is quite different which you have also confirmed.

The fact that a stock has the potential to make 100% capital gain does not mean it is cheap. There are cheap stocks on the exchange that will make very little capital gains. Japaul is growing based on sentiments. Based on the projections from the PO, the stock cannot justify it's current price but I suspect the price will continue to rise until the bonus issue comes to pass.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 12:14am On Feb 03, 2008
QUESTION TO ALL

How many stocks should be held in the portfolio of:

1) A Short Termer (one month to one year)?
2) A Medium Termer (One year to 4 years)
3) A Long Termer (Five years till hand over to children)?

How many stocks can be sure to give maximum returns.  Or rather, in what way can a portfolio holder maximise or optimize his portfolio in the various horizons given above?  

Can we all make our comments please.  I am sure everyone will benefit.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:19am On Feb 03, 2008
babagboin:

@princesege,
thanks prince for your suggestion but with all the bad news i have read about cashcraft on this site and my own cousin's experience that not really an option for now. i think i prefer to register with CSCS direct.

@pumping777, @dollyp @all
i think u said you're subscribe to CSCS in a previous thread, please tell me how u can go about subscribibg if you're non-resident. have tried all numbers and webpage, no luck so far.

PLS HELP A NEWBIE OUT!

Register on the CSCS website. Eventually you will be sent an email confirmation asking you to fill the identification form and make payment.

Download the form from the website, fill it and ask your broker to fill their portion, make the N2,500 payment for you and send in the form to CSCS. In a couple of weeks you should be set.

Note that you cannot register with CSCS directly. You still need a broker to complete the process.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RolandE(m): 12:30am On Feb 03, 2008
GOOD DAY BROTHERS N SISTERS. I WANTED TO BUY ZENITH BANK FROM THE
SECONDARY MARKET @ N46.09k. PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME AROUND WHEN IT
WILL BE LIFTED FROM TECHNICAL SUSPENSION. I WANTED TO BUY BEFORE THE PRICE
STARTS GOING UP. I KNOW THE PUBLIC OFFER CLOSED
ON THE 17th OF JANUARY. THANKS N GOD BLESS U.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:53am On Feb 03, 2008
Roland E:

GOOD DAY BROTHERS N SISTERS. I WANTED TO BUY ZENITH BANK FROM THE
SECONDARY MARKET @ N46.09k. PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME AROUND WHEN IT
WILL BE LIFTED FROM TECHNICAL SUSPENSION. I WANTED TO BUY BEFORE THE PRICE
STARTS GOING UP. I KNOW THE PUBLIC OFFER CLOSED
ON THE 17th OF JANUARY. THANKS N GOD BLESS You.

Zenith should be out of TS between the next one or two weeks.

Personally, I don't expect any major rise in the price of Zenith short term after TS. At most, maybe 10% short term. I think there are too many traders that have positioned for this one and those that did large volumes will start profit taking early which will depress the price.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 2:27am On Feb 03, 2008
Princesege:

Quote from: blueband on Yesterday at 03:00:46 PM
Has anyone been able to view their cashcraft account online?

@blueband.
Yes you are right. The trouble started thursday night and I have not been able to view my cashcraft account online. One would have expected them to infrom their customers of the development. Well ,lets wait till Monday, hopefully the problem will be fixed.

Blueband and Princesege: I'm quite surprised you have just noticed this about Cashcraft This problem has been ongoing for a while. My only hope is that it's not related to something else. If the site isn't up by Monday, I'll share what I know.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Jideams(m): 3:29am On Feb 03, 2008
@Ben0524
HURRAY!!!

HURRAY!!!, Good News for all DANGOTE FLOUR MILL Fans, It will be listed on the Exchange by Monday 4Th, Feb. 2008.

Get your KILISHI Ready ,
I don talk my own o,

Personally, is great news that this stock will be listed on Monday. But left to me i would not be saving my money for buy the stock now, rather i will be concentrating on stock which will be sold in the name of picking up dangote. It will be a good time for a bargain.

Always look at the other side of life and try not to follow the crowd. This is my advise to this house.

thnxs
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumice(m): 3:54am On Feb 03, 2008
pumping777:

Personally, I don't expect any major rise in the price of Zenith short term after TS. At most, maybe 10% short term. I think there are too many traders that have positioned for this one and those that did large volumes will start profit taking early which will depress the price.

I agree. Besides there are other banks (that have been mentioned on this thread) which are in a position to make better gains. And they make sense both technically and fundamentally wink.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 10:08am On Feb 03, 2008
Blueband and Princesege: I'm quite surprised you have just noticed this about Cashcraft This problem has been ongoing for a while. My only hope is that it's not related to something else. If the site isn't up by Monday, I'll share what I know.
[quote][/quote]

Omoba3,please tell us what you know now!Please.This cashcraft people are not it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 10:39am On Feb 03, 2008
cashcraft is up and runnin now,
i think portfolios r still with thursday prices.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 10:50am On Feb 03, 2008
@ PUMPING

I bought UNIC @ 4.23 and i have made roughly 28%.
do u see dem going on TS any time soon? do u think the price can go any much higher or d profit takers have started settling in.
30% was my target but should i leave now?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Pennywise(m): 11:12am On Feb 03, 2008
@pumice

I agree. Besides there are other banks (that have been mentioned on this thread) which are in a position to make better gains. And they make sense both technically and fundamentally

Good reasoning. But sentiment rules NSE. Fundamentally.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 11:44am On Feb 03, 2008
Pennywise:

@pumice

Good reasoning. But sentiment rules NSE. Fundamentally.

The above statement remains true in BULL season, but in BEAR season as we all witnessed during the second half of 2007, FUNDAMENTALS, not sentiments, rules, hence it is always good to play safe.

which stock can remain afloat or even perform during bear time - that is often one of my questions when selecting stocks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 12:06pm On Feb 03, 2008
I have just looked at my cahscraft account and I can see they have bought shares I did not ask them to buy.I am now in red to the tune of 3 million naira.Am I supposed to pay back the 3 million naira for shares I did not ask them to buy?I can see almost every share in my portfolio.When I received the trade alert I thought it was a joke.

What should I do?I don't have plans of trading with cashcraft anymore and whatever money I have now is planned for my other reliable broker.OMG!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Pennywise(m): 12:26pm On Feb 03, 2008
Mr. Risky:

The above statement remains true in BULL season, but in BEAR season as we all witnessed during the second half of 2007, FUNDAMENTALS, not sentiments, rules, hence it is always good to play safe.

which stock can remain afloat or even perform during bear time - that is often one of my questions when selecting stocks.

Playing it safe led me into UBA which has turned into a mule. Most annoyingly its not even moving backward so I can have a reason to get it slaughtered and have it fed to the dogs doing all the work right now.

Perfect stock for all season? While it will do a lot to please the mind of persons like me, I have to say it remains in the realm of imagination.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 1:09pm On Feb 03, 2008
blueband:

I have just looked at my cahscraft account and I can see they have bought shares I did not ask them to buy.I am now in red to the tune of 3 million naira.Am I supposed to pay back the 3 million naira for shares I did not ask them to buy?I can see almost every share in my portfolio.When I received the trade alert I thought it was a joke.

What should I do?I don't have plans of trading with cashcraft anymore and whatever money I have now is planned for my other reliable broker.OMG!

How do u normally issue ur buy and sell orders?
if u send an e-mail, do they have a record of u e-mailing these buys? obviously not since u said u didnt authorize these buys. if they have no record of this or any other form of communication from u eg phone calls, authorizing these buys i suggest u make an immediate representation to them before this gets cold.
i am saying this based on the assumptions that a) ur account with them isn't a discretionary account where they make the decisions on what to buy or sell and b) even if the companies they bought are companies u like and u allow this to continue, there will come a time when they will buy some u don't like, what will happen then?

should they want to play hard ball aka ogboju, then u may need to take it to their oga patapata or even higher to the regulators cuz they will be expecting u to pay for the N3M u are in red with them for.

all the best
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 1:29pm On Feb 03, 2008
I have come to accept over purchase as a normal thing with my brokers, and I think I even enjoy the benefits these days. They don't ask me for any extra fees, for the free overdraft, I just buy and sell irrespective of what level of debit in my account.

Until such a time I notice any extra charges in my account, AM okay with this arrangement. grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 1:40pm On Feb 03, 2008
invisible!:

I have come to accept over purchase as a normal thing with my brokers, and I think I even enjoy the benefits these days. They don't ask me for any extra fees, for the free overdraft, I just buy and sell irrespective of what level of debit in my account.

Until such a time I notice any extra charges in my account, AM okay with this arrangement. grin grin grin

methinks this is a dangerous and if i may say so, unsustaainable arrangement, especially as it is ur money we are talking about here boss!

well each to his own sha but when it comes to financial matters i think u need to be more circumspect than this u know. what happens if they decide to start charging overdraft esp with their reconsolidation going on? u may not have a leg to stand on an dthey may want to hold ur shares as collateral or not execute future orders. i know u dont want that.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by walcolm(m): 2:09pm On Feb 03, 2008
blueband:

just like Aktopgun pointed out, you don't want to set a precedence you wont be able to control in future. i had d same experience in the past with my stockbroker and i made them reverse the trade promptly (in retrospect, should have held on to the stocks cause it appreciated more than 100% within 3 months of that episode embarassed)! it has not happened again

other things you want to consider before bringing down the hammer is, is it free overdraft they are giving you? the stocks purchased, do they fit into your portfolio plan?are they stocks you have been eyeing without the necessary resources to get them? if all of the above are yes, you might want to let them off with a STERN warning that you will not tolerate unauthourized trades on your account in future while you enjoy the free overdraft and make alternative arrangements to bring your account out of the red BUT if it is not, it is better to quickly squash the development before it becomes a regular practise
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by otokx(m): 2:32pm On Feb 03, 2008
What walcolm says is the best approach. Cashcraft also bought some livestock feed for me in error and I had to quickly dispose em even at a loss to purchase what i considered better stock alas there was some marginal improvement in price which if i had waited for like 3 weeks would have seen have some extra change.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by debenzd(f): 2:39pm On Feb 03, 2008
pumice:

I agree. Besides there are other banks (that have been mentioned on this thread) which are in a position to make better gains. And they make sense both technically and fundamentally wink.

Just heard from reliable sources. "Zenith is out of technical suspension tomorrow"

Certificates to be ready hopefully in a month.

There will be returned monies!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 3:01pm On Feb 03, 2008
@debenzd
U have mouth o!
which kin source?

pls if at any time u get any gist of insurance stocks going on TS
ABEG! LETS KNOW IN DA HOUSE O!

carry go mate!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 3:35pm On Feb 03, 2008
otokx:

What walcolm says is the best approach. Cashcraft also bought some livestock feed for me in error and I had to quickly dispose em even at a loss to purchase what i considered better stock alas there was some marginal improvement in price which if i had waited for like 3 weeks would have seen have some extra change.

Otokx,did cashcraft charge you for the overdraft?That will determine whether I will ask them to reverse the trade or not.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yeto(f): 3:48pm On Feb 03, 2008
my 1st experience of shares' buying- i bought dang sugar @ 47.00 i feel i shld sell it now but i was told to wait, what do you think? and also i bought intercontinental @ 6.00 shld i sell it now?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by edwardaigb: 3:50pm On Feb 03, 2008
i want to know of stock broking companies that can help me with loans to buy stocks (margins). I have some stocks with a particular broking firm but they don't do margin trading and there are times i see some opportunities and unable to take advantage.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Obalende: 4:23pm On Feb 03, 2008
Hi guys, I need your opinion.

Is it better to buy from primary market or secondary market? The answer is obvious - in most cases primary market may be better but the recent cases of over subscription is putting me off.

Q1: What is the likelihood of Niger Insurance Public offer being oversubscribed? I think they are raising 6 billion or so - so whats the likelihood of my money returned to me if i buy between 1million and 1.5 million naira worth?

Q2: How soon after public offers are application monies credited to investors CSCS account?

Q3: How good is CitiInvestCap with execution of orders (same day, 1 day delay, 2 days etc)?

Just answer the one you have the answer to - not necessarily all.

Regards.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by AbuMaryam1(m): 4:45pm On Feb 03, 2008
[b][/b]Reference please

(1) (2) (3) ... (418) (419) (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.