Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,042 members, 7,845,394 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (817832 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 10:30pm On Aug 16, 2007
@ all,
What dyu all think about the idea of purchasing some Nairas ahead of the anticipated increase in worth/value?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 11:56pm On Aug 16, 2007
crazyT:

@ Temmie, Easimoni and wanajo and others who contributed one way or the other to my LASACO question

Big Thanks to you all!!!

I think from the way Easimoni has drummed the idea into my head I'll still hold on to it.

I bought about 200k units @ 1.80 about 2 months ago (or thereabout), so if it goes to 15 Naira (before November) the way Easimoni put it; Na im bi say I don hit jackpot bi that o grin

Based on Temmie and Wanaj's info, I'll have to revise my projections downwards. Turns out Lasaco did an offer last year and will list additional shares. Can't remember how much but I did the math and Lasaco may have another 50% to go over the next 6 months or so. Still hold but don't dream about N15. sorry!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 12:00am On Aug 17, 2007
NBA, the quote you have is an excerpt from the report that Omoba has posted.

All, read the report. Interesting accusation. CSL (I think an FCMB subsidiary) has since fired the analyst who wrote the report.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 12:15am On Aug 17, 2007
Rob-roy:

@ all,
What dyu all think about the idea of purchasing some Nairas ahead of the anticipated increase in worth/value?

The naira is not billed to increase in value. don't waste your time.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by valhalla: 1:11am On Aug 17, 2007
@ Tammie 10, frankiri, Shigidi, Wanja and all the other gurus in the house

Pls, help with information on Sterling Assets Management Trusts Limited. I am about to go into an agreement with them and this involves a loan and assets management of about N1 million.

pls let me know the kind of people they are b4 I go and make a mistake o!!! can they manage my assets well, buy and sell promptly, give valueable info??

pls respond. Thanks in advance
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 3:34am On Aug 17, 2007
Nicklee:

Y'all
Something doesn't add up here.

NBA's attachment purportedly to be from ARM is actually a subsection from the CSL report uploaded by Omoba3.

So, Is ARM and CSL ( or whoever authored the analysis) in some connivance in this issue?

easimoni:

Nicklee, Easimoni (thanks!) is correct, it is an excerpt from the CSL report. ARM never claimed ownership, the ARM reference at the end of the message is just a standard email disclaimer.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mcsamson1(m): 4:42am On Aug 17, 2007
hello gurus in the house. i dont know if i should sell my first bank shares now or later. i bought at 40.40k.what do u think will happen after august 20th.i need urgent answer plz.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BabyGaddy(f): 6:45am On Aug 17, 2007
Dear All,

easimoni, temmie10 etc (all the gurus) i keep hearing about the following: (investopedia.com and Warren Buffet's book)

which of warren buffetts books.

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by polonet(m): 7:11am On Aug 17, 2007
hello all,

I am new, i sent my M&B certificate for verification in May this year and till date my stockbroker says cscs is yet to finish verification and listing, is this normal and what can i do.

thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:13am On Aug 17, 2007
polonet:

hello all,

I am new, i sent my M&B certificate for verification in May this year and till date my stockbroker says cscs is yet to finish verification and listing, is this normal and what can i do.

thanks

Not normal. Try and find out the cause of the delay. Mine already credited into my CSCS.

BTW, Danjuma don buy that company finish. Out of about 365m units the man bought almost 130m!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ebos(m): 9:32am On Aug 17, 2007
So, First Bank Share is at what rate now? I bought at N33.00 per share.

Again, I will advise Seun (Admin) to always bring up this thread. Pls, don't allow it to disappear at the signing in to Nairaland. I'm still going through all the posts. It's quite educative and helpful.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 9:54am On Aug 17, 2007
@ valhalla, really dont know much about sterling trust and asset managers, but if u are going into a loan of 1 million, i hope ur knowledge of fundamentals are good cos the interest rate might be high.
what r the loan conditions?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 10:34am On Aug 17, 2007
easimoni:

All, read the report. Interesting accusation. CSL (I think an FCMB subsidiary) has since fired the analyst who wrote the report.

The analyst wrote the report in bad state.

I don't like Access Bank but there is no sense in what the guy wrote.

On Audit committee, no executive director is on Access banks audit committee. I have the report here. Only two non executive directors are in that commitee (Otubu and Maduka). What the ignorant analyst was referring to was the boards internal audit committee which is made up of board members. That is chaired by Otubu.

He talked about the audited account beiang qualified. Yes that is true. It was because of the goodwill. Can't lay my hands on the interview by Atedo Peterside now why he mentioned treatment of goodwill as part of why he is against consolidation. Access does not want to amortise its goodwill so as to pay dividend. The treatment Access gave to teh goodwill is not supported by Companies and Allied Matters Act 1990 and Access Bank's accounting policy. However at an AGM of 31 August 2006, the shareholders approved the directors resolution on the proposed treatment of the goodwill. Based on this they got a Federal High Court sanction for the treatment. There is also a CBN circular BSD/24/2006 of 17 October 2006 to ALL banks allowing such treatment! All these info are available to this analyst.

He talked about 'manipulation' of hsre price. Well tell me what happened to Zenith, Intercontinental, UBA, Oceanic etc before their last offers?

It just shows how stupid some of this analysts are.

I don't like Access but it is for things totally different from the hogwash written by this analyst!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 10:35am On Aug 17, 2007
easimoni, frankiriri, wanajo, shigidi et al.

I've been learning a lot from your contributions on the forum. I've not been an active investor but this forum has awakened my mind.I currently have a portfolio of about N1.2m all from IPOs (Oceanic, Prudent (now Skybank), and First Bank). I have about N1m to invest now can you advise on what stocks to go for? I'm currently looking at Access Bank's IPO but I'm open to informed advices.

I'm really investing time and effort studying on investment (investopedia.com and Warren Buffet's book) so hopefully will soon be able assess stocks well but I need all your kind help while I'm still "crawling" before I fully learn how to walk and soon run! wink

Thanks all in advance.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 10:43am On Aug 17, 2007
koksie boy, first of all, what exactly are u looking for. is it long term investment or short term of 6months? u have invested very well so far in first bank, oceanic and skye, but these are all long term cos u wont get ur certificates for some time(put a year in mind). if u ask me, the 1m u have now should be put in stocks u can get in the secondary market(from the floor) cos uve already tied down quite a lot of money.
for long term gains, go for intercontinental , oceanic(from floor), c&i leasinng, and maybe insurance stocks like wapic, crusader.
u should get some good gains out of those.
good luck cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 10:44am On Aug 17, 2007
oga wanajo, when our beloved wema go release result its getting frustrating.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by valhalla: 10:55am On Aug 17, 2007
@ Shigidi

@ valhalla, really don't know much about sterling trust and asset managers, but if u are going into a loan of 1 million, i hope your knowledge of fundamentals are good because the interest rate might be high.
what r the loan conditions?

they are asking for 19.5 percent p.a interest and 3.5% management fee per quatre. I am trying to get them to 17% interest p.a and 3% one time.

Im expected to provide 30% of the N1 million. I intend to use all the money to invest in stocks on the secondary market. I have some shares that i have bought over time but i need this kind of facility to really go into stocks fully.

I have a similar offer from Oceanic bank, with the conditions above. which really is better?

Thanks Shigidi. Pls would other gurus pls respond??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 10:58am On Aug 17, 2007
shigidi:

oga wanajo, when our beloved wema go release result its getting frustrating.

Wetin you need the result for?

Hope you know that WEMA is yet to release the AUDITED March 2006 result so don't expect March 2007 soon!

I bought at N3.50  so I don't need their result to sell.

On a serious note, WEMA is damn risky but under the current bullish market should do fine!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 11:04am On Aug 17, 2007
valhalla:

@ Shigidi

they are asking for 19.5 percent p.a interest and 3.5% management fee per quatre. I am trying to get them to 17% interest p.a and 3% one time.

I'm expected to provide 30% of the N1 million. I intend to use all the money to invest in stocks on the secondary market. I have some shares that i have bought over time but i need this kind of facility to really go into stocks fully.

I have a similar offer from Oceanic bank, with the conditions above. which really is better?

Thanks Shigidi. Please would other gurus please respond??

Well, it depend on your kind of person.

To start with, who is managing the portfolio? Are you sure of returning of 26%? Because the 19% and 3% plus transaction fees (4%) takes you to about 26% before you even start to make money. Thread carefully and be sure that you know what you are doing.

Secondly you need to be sure of the small prints as touching the other conditions.

I also hope that you are VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE about the market. Don't expect the bullish run to continue. If there is a correction, you may likely lose your 30% contribution. All that glitters is not gold!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jesuseun1(m): 11:15am On Aug 17, 2007
hello guys,has anyone receive his dunlop and trancorp share certificate.I am yet to receive mine.hope to hear from u guys.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by valhalla: 11:49am On Aug 17, 2007
@ Wanaj0

I also hope that you are VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE about the market. Don't expect the bullish run to continue. If there is a correction, you may likely lose your 30% contribution. All that glitters is not gold!

Thanks wanaj0. i av some experience but i'm also willing and humble enough to take lessons from all gurus.

I am looking at this on a long time basis. My strategy would be to pay back the 700k from the investment and personal funds over a year but have the portfolio running. what i need to know is if with a million i'll be in a position to do sticks at a relatively money making level. i am not looking for ward to doubling the money in 3months!! as i said a have a few stocks and 10% of my salary goes into stocks monthly already.

as per who would be managing the porfolio, they will give me one of their brokers but believe me i'll be on his ass 24/7 for performance.

Thanks.

Tammie, frankiri shigidi and all pls contribute/
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 11:54am On Aug 17, 2007
shigidi:

koksie boy, first of all, what exactly are u looking for. is it long term investment or short term of 6months? u have invested very well so far in first bank, oceanic and skye, but these are all long term because u wont get your certificates for some time(put a year in mind). if u ask me, the 1m u have now should be put in stocks u can get in the secondary market(from the floor) because uve already tied down quite a lot of money.
for long term gains, go for intercontinental , oceanic(from floor), c&i leasinng, and maybe insurance stocks like wapic, crusader.
u should get some good gains out of those.
good luck cool cool

@Shigidi,

thanks for your response. I'm looking at short term investment for now. What do you recommend? I also intend to have more funds to invest later in the year. Please reply
ASAP. Do you know anything about Amyn Investment (Stockbroker)?

@Wanajo, frankiriri, easimoni
Still waiting for your wise opinions
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 12:06pm On Aug 17, 2007
koksie boy, one very important thing ive learnt on nairaland is there is no investment with at least six month time frame, there should be no rush in trading stocks.
the best i can say for short term is wema bank, oceanic, and crusader or mbenefit on the insurance side.
mbenefit still has to release their half year result and it should be impressive
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 12:18pm On Aug 17, 2007
koksieboy:

@Shigidi,

thanks for your response. I'm looking at short term investment for now. What do you recommend? I also intend to have more funds to invest later in the year. Please reply
ASAP. Do you know anything about Amyn Investment (Stockbroker)?

@Wanajo, frankiriri, easimoni
Still waiting for your wise opinions

Stockmarket is good for longterm investment. I don't invest in the capital market for taht your timeframe.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 12:32pm On Aug 17, 2007
shigidi:

koksie boy, one very important thing ive learnt on nairaland is there is no investment with at least six month time frame, there should be no rush in trading stocks.
the best i can say for short term is wema bank, oceanic, and crusader or mbenefit on the insurance side.
mbenefit still has to release their half year result and it should be impressive

wanaj0:

Stockmarket is good for longterm investment. I don't invest in the capital market for taht your timeframe.

@Wanajo
I think you got it all wrong. I've invested abt N1.2m on Skyebank, Firstbank and Oceanic all through POs which shigidi considers as long term investment (see quote above). I now have another N1m to invest possibly on the floor.  Personally, my objective is long term inestment but will also like to take advantage of any current lucrative short term investment.

I also have more money to invest in the next 2 months.

If you only consider long term investment then what are you recommendations?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 12:34pm On Aug 17, 2007
valhalla, if u already contribute 10% of ur salary, thats a good step, as per the loan , i think its risky cos most people are happy to get 30% returns on investment in a year. and u need to outperform that, i dont think its worth the risk, unless u can beat those rates down.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 12:37pm On Aug 17, 2007
shigidi:

@shigidi

As mentioned before I'm new to stock investment but my understanding of short term is approx 1yr and long term is above 4yrs. so I'm not keen on 6 months investments except its a unique opportunity.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by prince8319(m): 12:42pm On Aug 17, 2007
Buy your used HP. Dell, Compaq, IBM, GateWay, and Ace laptops from as low as N45,000.
All laptops have 6m0nths waranthy and come with laptop bags.
For more information, contact 08068229981 or greatprince8319@yahoo.com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by boulevard: 12:43pm On Aug 17, 2007
Hot topic
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 12:48pm On Aug 17, 2007
koksie boy, if thats the case then intercontinental, oceanic, mbenefits, wapic, crusader, japaul, the list is endless for 1 year return. u should get at least 40% on any of those in 1 year, its good to see uve already programmed ur mind to a year, when i first came here i was looking for three months cheesy cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 1:25pm On Aug 17, 2007
shigidi:

koksie boy, if thats the case then intercontinental, oceanic, mbenefits, wapic, crusader, japaul, the list is endless for 1 year return. u should get at least 40% on any of those in 1 year, its good to see uve already programmed your mind to a year, when i first came here i was looking for three months cheesy cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 1:29pm On Aug 17, 2007
shigidi:

koksie boy, if thats the case then intercontinental, oceanic, mbenefits, wapic, crusader, japaul, the list is endless for 1 year return. u should get at least 40% on any of those in 1 year, its good to see uve already programmed your mind to a year, when i first came here i was looking for three months cheesy cheesy

@shigidi
I'm aslo open to 3 months returns too grin grin

I noticed with First Bank that many people bought after the technical suspension was lifted and sold with a month or two with handsome profit. Do you think it's wise to do that for Access bank and Japaul? One could always buy the stock back when the price is stable.

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.