Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,468 members, 7,830,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (64) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (815951 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 1:33pm On Aug 17, 2007
See below what I received from Mutual alliance sec on their charges to buy /sell?

Is this representative of the market ? can anyone tell me what their brokers charge for their transactions?
Thanks

Buy Transactions: Sell Transaction:
Broker Commission: 1.575% 1.575%
SEC Fees 0.60% --
CSCS 0.105% 0.4725%
Stamp Duties 0.075% 0.075%
NSE Fees --- 0.525%
total 2.355% 2.6475%
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:34pm On Aug 17, 2007
its very wise to do that for access but thats if youll get it. i dont nkow of any1 who succesfully got first bank after the ts was lifted cos it was scarce. the same will probably happen with access but if ure lucky enough to get it go for it!!!
i think japaul is too far away from now for me to say.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 1:50pm On Aug 17, 2007
koksieboy:

@shigidi
I'm aslo open to 3 months returns too grin grin

I noticed with First Bank that many people bought after the technical suspension was lifted and sold with a month or two with handsome profit. Do you think it's wise to do that for Access bank and Japaul? One could always buy the stock back when the price is stable.

Shine your eye well well!!!

How many people got first bank to buy when the Technical suspension was lifted?

Try it with first bank and see your broker tell you not available!

Truth is you need to understand what is going on in the market or else you will get suckered in!

For me, Flour Mills is a stock to bank on for the long term. Good fundamentals and growth. That the stock did not get a beating after declaring only 90k dividend shows that it will hold good. It is 75.00.

Hope that helps.

Just to sound a note of warning, all those that started investing some 12months ago and have only witnessed the bullish run, don't be fooled! There are bears in the market. With the bullish run, every one is a stock guru. At least if you bought Wire and Cable that is not producing anything you still have capital appreciation! Soon there will be a shaking then everyone will find its level. Then there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Be warned!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:54pm On Aug 17, 2007
@ wanajo, but surely ,fundamentals will still hold sway even in the bearest of markets shouldnt it undecided undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 2:17pm On Aug 17, 2007
wanaj0:

Shine your eye well well!!!

How many people got first bank to buy when the Technical suspension was lifted?

Try it with first bank and see your broker tell you not available!

Truth is you need to understand what is going on in the market or else you will get suckered in!

For me, Flour Mills is a stock to bank on for the long term. Good fundamentals and growth. That the stock did not get a beating after declaring only 90k dividend shows that it will hold good. It is 75.00.

Hope that helps.

Just to sound a note of warning, all those that started investing some 12months ago and have only witnessed the bullish run, don't be fooled! There are bears in the market. With the bullish run, every one is a stock guru. At least if you bought Wire and Cable that is not producing anything you still have capital appreciation! Soon there will be a shaking then everyone will find its level. Then there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Be warned!!!

@wanajo,

You sound to me neither as a pessimist nor optimist but more like a realist so I take ur opinion seriously. My potential stockbroker also recommended Flour mills. thanks for your opinion.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ademiife(m): 2:23pm On Aug 17, 2007
Please, can someone knowledgeable tell if Sterling Bank Plc shares will be good for long-term [from 1 to 10 years or short-term [between 3 and 6 months]?

May I also commend everyone who's been genuinely concerned enough to give effective and practical replies to questions, suggestions and inquiries raised in this forum. Many thanks!

In view of this, I eagerly look forward to reasonable replies, and please, can one still get to buy Sterling Bank Plc shares at the secondary market?

ps: Pardon my seeming ignorance. I've never invested in the stock-market before. I've never had anything to do with it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by valhalla: 4:14pm On Aug 17, 2007
@ Shigidi

valhalla, if u already contribute 10% of your salary, thats a good step, as per the loan , i think its risky because most people are happy to get 30% returns on investment in a year. and u need to outperform that, i don't think its worth the risk, unless u can beat those rates down.

Thanks again shigidi, i really appreciate your assistance. I understand the risk involved. but you and I know that there's risk in every business.

Lets look at this scenerio: if i get N1million ( i want to start by sept ending) and i buy Japul or wapic or any of the prospective stocks from the floor b4 the IPO or buy IPO and hold for a year or as lond as reasonable. I then pay the interest on the loan from personal funds isnt this doable?

I'm just asking to see what my options are. i may end up not taking the loan, just looking for oppurtunity for heavier investment (and, yes i agree, heavier risks too)

10% of my salary is less than 20k per month, i cant rely on that alone as my investment if i wish to make some serious money, abi?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:42pm On Aug 17, 2007
shigidi:

@ wanajo, but surely ,fundamentals will still hold sway even in the bearest of markets shouldnt it undecided undecided

Yes but there will be a shift in PE. Up till 2005, Average PE's on the NSE was less than 10. Now companies with PE's of 30 are looking attractive especially with the bloated outstanding shares. Right now, the 'fundamentals' does not support the prices of most stocks. Most have returned over 100% while the earnings did not grow that much. Well, it is the bullish run. Let's take advantage of it while not forgetting the fact that when the bears come also you must be ready to ride the tide. I mean some peoples holdings are in stocks that are lot liquid!!!! In a beraish environment, you will hawk those shares around there will be no buyer! Same way they gained 5% everyday they will be losing 5% everyday and you can't do anything apart from screaming down your brokers neck!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 4:49pm On Aug 17, 2007
I am interested in purchasing the Japaul IPO. However, since it might take some time to get the share certificates, I am also thinking of getting about 20000 Japaul shares from the secondary market.
Will it be advisable to do that now, or wait till the technical suspension has been lifted?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:15pm On Aug 17, 2007
wanaj0:

The market dropped 2% today, after dropping 0.5% yesterday. Banks alone dropped 3% today. Is there not weeping and gnashing already? wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by TOLABABE1(f): 5:28pm On Aug 17, 2007
Do u mean no issuance of certificate?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:33pm On Aug 17, 2007
easimoni:

The market dropped 2% today, after dropping 0.5% yesterday. Banks alone dropped 3% today. Is there not weeping and gnashing already? wink

Easimoni,
can you imagine First bank is at 49.50 , there is indeed weeping and gnashing of teeth ooo, when some predicted it will cross 80.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:38pm On Aug 17, 2007
yodiyokun:

Easimoni,
can you imagine First bank is at 49.50 , there is indeed weeping and gnashing of teeth ooo, when some predicted it will cross 80.

Just wait till September when the amrket normally takes a slump and see what will happen!

Someone just used N8m loan to buy First Bank because of the 1 for 6!!!!

A fool and his money are soon parted!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:40pm On Aug 17, 2007
yodiyokun:

Easimoni,

LOL!  grin N80 for FBN? V Funny! And per Wanaj0's response, magin trading is dangerous business.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:45pm On Aug 17, 2007
wanaj0:

Just wait till September when the amrket normally takes a slump and see what will happen!

Someone just used N8m loan to buy First Bank because of the 1 for 6!!!!

A fool and his money are soon parted!

Easimoni,
You know our people dey too like speculate with no correct infor.

wanaj0,
I have noticed this trend in my recent analysis ojare, I am waiting for sept/October to enter the secondary market. my attitude now is siddon look.
If First Bank should make a mistake of sending share certificates by October, there will be profit takers which may further reduce the price.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:34pm On Aug 17, 2007
Its good to see that so many people are now in the market for the long term.
My philosophy is this- Invest in stocks with strong fundamentals only. If they do extraordinarilly well you can sell some in the short term and make some money.
I think a strategy of funding stocks from loans is doable but just ensure that you get them to agree to the possibility of an early liquidation of the loan without undue penalties.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by eny3: 7:59pm On Aug 17, 2007
Got an email alert today from proshareng stating that 'Dangote Flour will most likely now be a Private Placement due to the non-agreement of a fair value for the offer between SEC and the company. The PP should take place in the next few weeks.'

Has this happened before in the NSE??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Iwerebor(m): 8:37pm On Aug 17, 2007
Hey friends:
I stumbled on a statement from someone in another forum that buyers of FBN's last PO will neither partake in the 1 for 6 bonus nor the dividend payout. Is this true talk or misinformation?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:08pm On Aug 17, 2007
Iwerebor:

Hey friends:
I stumbled on a statement from someone in another forum that buyers of FBN's last PO will neither partake in the 1 for 6 bonus nor the dividend payout. Is this true talk or misinformation?

True talk it is. No bonus or dividend for people who purchased the PO. I believe the propsectus warned people beforehand.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by presido1: 9:34pm On Aug 17, 2007
Please what is happening to FBN share price, it keeps on going down and today its N49. Is the downward trend associated with the what is happening at NYSE. As at today Dow Jones is recovering.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:53pm On Aug 17, 2007
presido1:

Please what is happening to FBN share price, it keeps on going down and today its N49. Is the downward trend associated with the what is happening at NYSE. As at today Dow Jones is recovering.

I've always thought NSE was insulated from the events in the global markets. The decline in the NSE is likely jus market adjustments. Most of the shares (esp. banks) are over-priced. Plus the rash of more (bank) offers is adding fuel to the fire. N120B to be raised by Afribank I bet 95% of Nairalanders don't even know who the Afribank MD is! I don't! and I don't care to know! And they ask us for N120b? Anyway, that was not your question. FBN is over priced: N20B in profit btwn 15B shares (and u know the offer was mucho-oversubscribed) doesn't add up to more than N30-something.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by doncaster(m): 10:04pm On Aug 17, 2007
Ok will the price continue to go down or what?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 11:07pm On Aug 17, 2007
doncaster:

Ok will the price continue to go down or what?

I don't know if it will but I know it should.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by honeric01(m): 6:59am On Aug 18, 2007
lol marketer
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by youngdoc: 8:28am On Aug 18, 2007
So what happens to penny stocks with this new Naira policy? A stock that was 0.60 kobo like some insurance companies would have a base price below which they can not descend right? like 1kobo.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Vitastraka(m): 11:08am On Aug 18, 2007
No they will have to reconstruct shares
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by otokx(m): 12:51pm On Aug 18, 2007
and what will be the impact of share reconstruction?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 1:31pm On Aug 18, 2007
What exactly is share reconstruction and how does that affect our investments? More profit Less
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Vitastraka(m): 5:57pm On Aug 18, 2007
It is basically a reverse split, (or reverse bonus in naija terms) It does not affect the value of your holdings, for example, if you had 2 shares of 5 naira per share previously, they can reconstruct and say you will now have 1 share of 10 naira per share

No change in your money or the value of your holdings, but the quantity of shares you have decreases
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Stacks: 5:07am On Aug 19, 2007
Hello, i am new to this wonderful thread, great job guys.
Could you please tell me where to get accurate information on a companies outstanding shares. I go to africanselect.com but the information does not always seem to be on point.
Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 5:28am On Aug 19, 2007
Stacks,
try Zenithsecurities, Cashcraft or Afrinvest. Na Femi be dis?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Stacks: 5:43pm On Aug 19, 2007
Deleted,

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.