Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,808 members, 7,866,137 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 12:14 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (657) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (820780 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (654) (655) (656) (657) (658) (659) (660) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 12:40am On Mar 14, 2008
@AKT,Invisible

Thanks AKT for warning off Invisible.
He wants to challenge for Chairman of Transcorp!!! CHEEKY!!!

I will upgrade your AK to the latest Beretta sniper rifle.
Deadly at a distance of 2 miles - in my hands, I don't know if you've had much practice at shooting accuracy. Seeing that AK is notoriously inaccurate - like we learnt on special ops along the Khyber pass.

Anyways, Invisible can become 3rd assistant, to the second vice-president in charge of my trumpeters.
He can get the silver Independence day style Chevrolet but without the fancy horns. He has yet to earn that.

Competition hotting up to buy Nitel. Have inside track on one of those positioning.

Samstone4 for Perpetual Transcorp Chairman. That will forever have immunity from prosecution, like Odilli.

Samstone4 cool cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:41am On Mar 14, 2008
nazzyon:

Somebody advice say make person no dey dry if you dey talk to ya broker.

That wan na TIP for me sha.

I am always like straight to biz everytime I am talking to mine.

I guess it explains why I had problems.

I no go mind to put darling if necessary.

grin grin grin

Oh my darling!, My sugar! I will love your forever! Oh! Yea!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by TheSly: 12:43am On Mar 14, 2008
I must confess. . . . .i like this ur ''logo'' which u always put at every single post of urs. . .

keep it up. . . . . . cool cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by AbuMaryam1(m): 3:43am On Mar 14, 2008
[code][/code] deleted[tt][/tt]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Spitzer: 3:45am On Mar 14, 2008
You guys don't know what you are missing. Spending all your money on stocks, when you could be spending in on .em,em,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by AbuMaryam1(m): 3:55am On Mar 14, 2008
@Pumping 777
oh my sugar ! My darling!! Iwill love 4ver. Nice one!  grin angry shocked
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by AbuMaryam1(m): 3:59am On Mar 14, 2008
[tt][/tt][code][/code]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 4:41am On Mar 14, 2008
@ Samstone, so you wan relegate me to second assistant chairman? Okay o, but make sure I dey sit for board meetings cause I go dey vote for your side on all matters.

Up samstone for chairman!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 4:52am On Mar 14, 2008
But samstone, why una dey waste money také buy Berreta for an invisible man?

For where you go see am?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by moneybags: 4:53am On Mar 14, 2008
invisible!:

Nobody seems to be talking about Ikeja hotels and its impressive two day full gains, abi them wan give bonus also like as una dey rumour on this forum, good stock, sound management.

Hi, i'm new to this thread but have been a silent reader for a few weeks, as I'm not too familiar with the NSE. You guys are doing a great job here, I must say.

@invisible, after seeing your comment above, I just couldn't help responding. It's windy's fault that ikeja hotel has done this two day full gains. From reading through this thread, it seems like anytime she mentions a stock, it runs away  grin That woman get winch, no be small  smiley (madam abeg no vex o). Anyway I'm still learning!

See her post of march 11 below:

windywendy:

bypass you ke? I fit??  shocked I no fit by pass good choice na, God forbid bad thing! grin grin

Ikeja hotels, I used to have but have since sold. Forward P/E based on a projected PAT of 649 (which they projected in their prospectus) is 22, which is fair in comparison to the other valuations we're seeing in the sector. Infact considering that they've already done 632m PAT in their 9months of FY07, I'm thinking that a more realistic projected PAT will be about 800, bringing forward P/E to about 17. Although the caveat here, as easimoni has been pointing out, is that they might make a loss in their final quarter (I seriously doubt that though).

It's a very solid fundamental stock. I'm not sure it's good for cico, but if you're into anything other than cico, it's a BUY. From TA though, it looks like there was some heavy selling on Mar.3 and 4 and some heavy buying in the two days subsequent to that. Yesteday and today looks like the stock experienced some selling pressure. Results should be out around July (i'm guessing here) and if it's anything better than what they projected (and suspect it will be), the share price should head north -- esp. if there are good rewards to back up the results. Now seems a good time to buy, if you're in for the medium term. I don't foresee it falling any more significantly that it already has. As usual, caveat plenti.

E be like say I go commot now o. Happy investing everyone. cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 5:08am On Mar 14, 2008
@Moneybags, that Windy babe is soo sharp. Whatever she points at will fly.

I will sit on my Ikeja holdings, seems the announcements will be juicy.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LastKobo1: 5:16am On Mar 14, 2008
@ Pumping abeg make you help a brother out, i go appreciate am if you fit send me that your stock table( the updated version, if possible). I know you are not obligated to do so, i am in dare need of it, my system just crashed, and you can imagine the confusion! I fit give my e-mail if you so wish. Thanks in advance.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 6:02am On Mar 14, 2008
@ Invisible

You never heard of Infra Red scope?
Less said the better. It makes it easier for the sniper to catch you - like overconfident soldier who thought he had bulletproof juju.
We wont even need the Baretta. An Enfield will do.

All my trumpeters will get the vote on the board but it will be purely an advisory board to our majesty.

@ Sly from Baghdad.

A lot of our ops in your region in recent years.

Our erstwhile chum has gone to meet his maker.
At least he didn't flee into exile with loot like our immune leaders will do before you can say "international warrant for arrest".

Ever heard: "My future's so bright I gotta wear shades"

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:42am On Mar 14, 2008
FatherOF2:

But some of all these Nigerian companies dey lie oh. How person go make N13m from N1.7billion.

If i sell N1.7b worth of groundnut for Lagos Island, my profit go pass that one 10times.

Just shows you how unprofitable the company is. But with the stocks being scarce, expect the price to start to trend up as the people start to jerk the price up.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tkb417(m): 7:46am On Mar 14, 2008
@AKT
Thanks for your candle on Bigtreat. I just told my broker to sell and get Livestock. if i can get 20% on Livestock, then im ok. Thank God for Etherna, Big treat would have given me some scare
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 8:05am On Mar 14, 2008
@Wanaj0

What's your take on Unionhomes? Any better for him okro soup?

Bought some few units few weeks back now contemplating to add more or just CICO out (though just 10% gain)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tyademolu(m): 8:13am On Mar 14, 2008
@ all

Talkin about agbero brokers and ajebo brokers.

Whats your take on zenith securities?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by TeeHay(m): 8:22am On Mar 14, 2008
as we start the last trading day of this week: let's look out for Dunlop (bear reversal??) & Ikeja Hotels (sustained resistance breakout??)!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mishooo(m): 8:48am On Mar 14, 2008
Hullo Crazy Tee. I sent a mail to your box about the Cassava thing 2 days ago. You never try reply oo. That one fit no disturb Stocks now. Just wanna diversify. Stay cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:03am On Mar 14, 2008
Prince11:

@ALL, any technical way of knowing when a stock bottomed out?

I want to buy some more IEI to average down entry price.

I[b] hope someone is keeping an eye on Academy press, e be like say na only me dey for Union Dicon ride, round 2, no shaking! grin[/b]

i no know say plenty winch people dey dis forum o!! i thought it was only roughcut and pumping wey bin chop winch.

i was looking at academy last night, i no fit shout. it is looking quite good u know but is not yet showing recovery signs. might do early next week or if u really want to be bullish, even today. time will tell

My prince, pls no vex, i could have sworn i saw a uestion from u yesterday but i am not sure if i replied u, if i didn't pls repost it let me see if i have any thots on it. thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mishooo(m): 9:10am On Mar 14, 2008
AKtopgun, I dey HAIL oooo grin grin

Abeg, keep up the Splendid work. Tobe nko??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:11am On Mar 14, 2008
faketan:

i think the RSI is a good tool that suggests when a security has bottomed out.

Anything below 30 shows that it is oversold meaning it has bottomed out assuming you are using 70-30.
IEI may still go down a bit. It is already in the oversold region, but if a 'three black cow' forms by tomorrow, it means reversal may not be far away.

The guru have the last say please.

My 2 kobo.

ehem, faketan,

why na only so-so 2kobo u dey always contribute ehn  cheesy cheesy. with all the millions u don make for NSE. abi u dey stash all for a rainy day? cheesy cheesy

Oya pls from now on try contribute at least N1 per post. grin grin grin

I am only pulling ur legs mate. On RSI, u are right.
it may not be able to tell u when the stock may have bottomed out accurately though cuz it can be in th eoversold region (ie below the 30-line) for 1 day or 1 year. IF u are buying a stock for CICO and base ur decision on buying on a below 30 RSI, it would be disastrous if it now remained below the 30 line for 4 months or something cuz it could be dropping frther and still remain below the 30 line.

i hope u catch my drift. i like to see upward movement on the price charts after downturns (i use the candles to make judgements on this but i know not everyone likes candles)

just my N1.  cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:14am On Mar 14, 2008
@MISHOO

WASSUP MAN, U'VE BEE SCARCE LIKE THE BULLS ON THE NSE grin

Tobechukwu is fine, thanks for asking.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aftadocean: 9:18am On Mar 14, 2008
Hello ALL,

I must say i am very happy and privileged to read the daily analysis of the NSE here everyday. I am somewhat a silent reader, 'cos our people say a fool is considered wise if he keeps his mouth shut. What I'm just trying to say is that he be like say i be moo moo(and to imagine that I thot i was hot!) as far as this stock thing is concerned and I have honestly learnt a lot more than i could imagine just by reading everything here on a daily basis.

There are too many names to send appreciation to - Aktopgun, thanks for those charts, it looks like they really work for the NSE, you are just wonderful, Blueband, windy wendy, Mr. Risky, Invisible, Easimoni, Yodiyokun, Ioma, Pumping777, the list is inexhuastible.

I need your advice sha!, please help a sister here. I am a long term investor and so when I buy a stock its for keeps. I tried this CICO thing last year, but got my fingers burnt largely due to the stock broker I used then, but honestly I don't think i have the liver for such now.I kind of stopped investing in stocks towards the end of last year for the reason that i felt i needed to reorganise my portfolio, because 85% of my stake in the NSE is in the Banking sector, and the thot of that kind of scares me. So please look at the stocks i am holding unto for now especially the Banking sector and advice me on which i can do away with and reinvest in to another sector of the stock market( I actually do not want to invest any new funds for now, which is why I want to reallign my portfolio).

BANKS
Union Bank average entry 20.44
GT bank  entry at 2004 PO price
Sterling Bank entry at 2005 PO price( then magnum bank)
Ecobank entry at 2005 PO price
FBN average entry 36.00
Fidelity entry at 2.30
wema bank entry at 2.40
Intercontinental entry at 2006 PO price
UBA entry at 2007 PO price
Oceanic entry at 2007 PO price
Access entry at 2007 PO price
Zenith Average entry of 13.90 - Have actually placed a sale order on this.

OTHERS
Nigerian Breweries entry 36.91
Unilever entry 13.50
Dangote sugar 2006/07 PO price
May and Baker 2006 PO price
Dangote Flour 2007 PO price
Conoil entry price 72.00

Friends, Which should I sell in the banking sector(i.e. that you do not advice to keep for a long term) and which other stocks in other sectors would be good for the longhaul?

Thanks for your advice.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mishooo(m): 9:19am On Mar 14, 2008
aktopgun:

@MISHOO

WASSUP MAN, You'VE BEE SCARCE LIKE THE BULLS ON THE NSE grin

Tobechukwu is fine, thanks for asking.

Bros i don't miss anything that anybody writes since am always on the NET 16/24 (IT Guy) but am always learning from you guys from the past 6 months. You are all the BOMB. God bless you all.

But you, - - - - - - -. 2 much said already. Well done
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:34am On Mar 14, 2008
aftadocean:

Hello ALL,

I must say i am very happy and privileged to read the daily analysis of the NSE here everyday. I am somewhat a silent reader, 'because our people say a fool is considered wise if he keeps his mouth shut. What I'm just trying to say is that he be like say i be moo moo(and to imagine that I thot i was hot!) as far as this stock thing is concerned and I have honestly learnt a lot more than i could imagine just by reading everything here on a daily basis.

There are too many names to send appreciation to - Aktopgun, thanks for those charts, it looks like they really work for the NSE, you are just wonderful, Blueband, windy wendy, Mr. Risky, Invisible, Easimoni, Yodiyokun, Ioma, Pumping777, the list is inexhuastible.

I need your advice sha!, please help a sister here. I am a long term investor and so when I buy a stock its for keeps. I tried this CICO thing last year, but got my fingers burnt largely due to the stock broker I used then, but honestly I don't think i have the liver for such now.I kind of stopped investing in stocks towards the end of last year for the reason that i felt i needed to reorganise my portfolio, because 85% of my stake in the NSE is in the Banking sector, and the thot of that kind of scares me. So please look at the stocks i am holding unto for now especially the Banking sector and advice me on which i can do away with and reinvest in to another sector of the stock market( I actually do not want to invest any new funds for now, which is why I want to reallign my portfolio).

BANKS
GT bank  entry at 2004 PO price
FBN average entry 36.00
Fidelity entry at 2.30
wema bank entry at 2.40

OTHERS
Unilever entry 13.50
Conoil entry price 72.00

Friends, Which should I sell in the banking sector(i.e. that you do not advice to keep for a long term) and which other stocks in other sectors would be good for the longhaul?

Thanks for your advice.

HA!! girl u re made for life with these stocks u have and the entry prices, too juicy. wow. u would laugh if i told u when i bought my first stock. i bow.

On trying to re-align ur portfolio cuz u have 85% in the banking sector:

Diversification is good, very. but i wouldnt diversify just for the sake of diversification. u are already well-spread as far as i can see and u hit the market when things were still affordable, right now there's a lot of manipulation and over-value on the market. Where would u diversify into. the only major sector i see missing is the insurance sector and thats really good only if u are adept at CICO which u dont like. besides as bros Wanajo has told us here several times and we have seen too, the insurance sector is shrouded in secrecy re: their figures and business.

If i had this portfolio i would hold it cuz its the banks for now that hold the most value in the market, even if u have 85% of ur portfolio in in them. at least u dont have afribank which may even still come good.

i Suppose u could look at transcorp cheesy cheesy cheesy. I AM ONLY JOKING ON THIS ONE O!! cheesy.

As Faketan would say, "just my N1 worth of gist" abi faketan cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Pennywise(m): 9:38am On Mar 14, 2008
I like to say hello to everyone on stock market tips.

I was having a ball in a separate thread having decided on a terminal leave of this one when someone hinted that there is a storm brewing here and so decided to have a look. Unfortunately the storm (an assymetrical one it was) has since blown away but the terrain and thread character hasn't changed much.

I tried to examine the anatomy of the root-cause of the storm and was able to come away with one deduction only and that is sycophancy.At first I decided it was a Nigerian cultural thing but that didnt wash. Maybe its a nairaland thing, hell no. I have been in other threads. So it has to be sth peculiar to this thread. But is this nauseous disposition really necessary in an anonymous forum? I think not.

Sycophancy presents in ways other than embarrassing praise worship. Like waging unsolicited proxy battles when the individual in question is not mentally handicapped. Which brings to mind the issue of a certain famous warrior who had successfully prosecuted many of life battles and was a recent member of this thread. He must have felt slighted that the courtesy being extended to him was less than the praise worship folks younger than his older children get. He is a gentleman and couldnt have put it in as much words.

It is very easy for someone who is not given to praise singing to be seen as arrogant in an environment of praise singers. Some unwary members of this thread who in the past many months have set the tone for discussions have themselves become victims of these sycophants. Humility is a virtue.

This is an anonymous forum. Anybody who prostrates for me risks getting kicked in the face. I don't need it. Its a different thing when you interact outside. Then I will have to insist on my due and if necessary take it by force. I hope the war hero gets a change of heart.This thread needs people like you. I see you have tried to obliterate your foot prints but they still linger.

Secondly I am surprised that all the illegal instruments of war that were deployed during combat was tolerated by Seun. I have seen a noticeable change of behaviour by seun since some one toyed with the idea of a fatwa in one of the religious threads. Or has he gone on Awol?

I also noticed that PE ratio is becoming more and more irrelevant in the choices we make. Up naija.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 9:51am On Mar 14, 2008
aftadocean:

Hello ALL,

I must say i am very happy and privileged to read the daily analysis of the NSE here everyday. I am somewhat a silent reader, 'because our people say a fool is considered wise if he keeps his mouth shut. What I'm just trying to say is that he be like say i be moo moo(and to imagine that I thot i was hot!) as far as this stock thing is concerned and I have honestly learnt a lot more than i could imagine just by reading everything here on a daily basis.

BANKS
GT bank entry at 2004 PO price
FBN average entry 36.00
Fidelity entry at 2.30
wema bank entry at 2.40

OTHERS
Unilever entry 13.50
Conoil entry price 72.00

Thanks for your advice.

I will clear out of Union Bank, Wema, Fidelity and Ecobank. There is nothing they will deliver that the other banks will not give. Sterling will just be for speculative purposes.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 10:03am On Mar 14, 2008
wanaj0:

I will clear out of Union Bank, Wema, Fidelity and Ecobank. There is nothing they will deliver that the other banks will not give. Sterling will just be for speculative purposes.

@aftadocean

Agree with wanaj0 but just a quick question why sell Zenith though? I had Zenith around the same time as you i think but that is one of the stocks that will take care of retirement and children's school fees.

Just curious apart from that not sure there's anymore to be done to re-organise the portfolio other than to say when you sell those on the clear-out list add Ikeja hotels to the list.
Its inching towards my long-term portfolio i have been watching it since easimoni alerted us to this stock about 6 months ago and i must say its has not disappointed so far although it hasnt done the wild gyration i expect but no harm done.

It is stable and you can go to sleep on that one!

I will be correct in saying that you built up the portfolio by purchasing on the primary market. Well as you are probably aware a lot of water has passed under the bridge and the goal-posts have been moved. You know now that PO and IPO's now are the biggest jokes on the NSE so much so a lot of peeps are now chronically allergic to public offers my point being you cant rely on the primary market to add to your portfolio anymore!

Since you are a lifer you will need to select your stocks now based on sound fundamentals in the secondary market
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aftadocean: 10:11am On Mar 14, 2008
HA!! girl u re made for life with these stocks u have and the entry prices, too juicy. wow. u would laugh if i told u when i bought my first stock. i bow.

On trying to re-align your portfolio because u have 85% in the banking sector:

Diversification is good, very. but i wouldnt diversify just for the sake of diversification. u are already well-spread as far as i can see and u hit the market when things were still affordable, right now there's a lot of manipulation and over-value on the market. Where would u diversify into. the only major sector i see missing is the insurance sector and thats really good only if u are adept at CICO which u don't like. besides as bros Wanajo has told us here several times and we have seen too, the insurance sector is shrouded in secrecy re: their figures and business.

If i had this portfolio i would hold it because its the banks for now that hold the most value in the market, even if u have 85% of your portfolio in in them. at least u don't have afribank which may even still come good.

i Suppose u could look at transcorp    . I AM ONLY JOKING ON THIS ONE O!! .

As Faketan would say, "just my N1 worth of gist" abi faketan    

Thanks a lot Aktopgun.

I actually have transcorp, but have written it off as bad debt. That was one CICO too many for me last year. But I believe there is still hope. I am actually thinking of Nestle if it ever comes back to N210.00 and May be guinness at N110.00.(Tall Order abi!)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cj2008: 10:14am On Mar 14, 2008
Hello ALL,

BANKS
GT bank entry at 2004 PO price
FBN average entry 36.00
Fidelity entry at 2.30
wema bank entry at 2.40

OTHERS
Unilever entry 13.50
Conoil entry price 72.00

Thanks for your advice.

i think u shld sell ur Conoil,intercontinental,while u leave ur Ecobak till d merger with sterling is concluded.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cj2008: 10:19am On Mar 14, 2008
hw kan dangote sugar be giving bonus?

(1) (2) (3) ... (654) (655) (656) (657) (658) (659) (660) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.