Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Delta Igbos - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbos (39548 Views)

I Noticed Delta Igbos Have That Wafi Attitude / Delta Igbos In Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbos by SlayerSupreme: 9:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
Ugomba:
semi-literates? Hahahahahahahaha.
I am an Engineer and currently working in a federal govt. agency.
I just rounded up my masters in Cologne, Germany just this last february.
I am not your mate, i will buy you filthy thing up and dump you in any nearest refuse dump.
Ugomba Dike!!! That benin babe slave no reach naa!!! Ugomba Dike!!!
Re: Delta Igbos by PhilemonObende: 9:35pm On Jun 17, 2016
2kaybiel:
Delta igbo as you called it, cant even make them to claim they are part of you.

Similar situation for the Yoruba speaking people living in delta that were descendants of yoruba from ondo state don't even claim they are yoruba yet they speak yoruba, likewise edo people especially okada people who speak yoruba.

Let the igbo people put their house in order and you will see that many would want to claim igbo.
_just saying _

when will we yorubas put own house in order with many yoruba kwarans and Eguns claiming that they are not yorubas. grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbos by PhilemonObende: 9:46pm On Jun 17, 2016
Ishilove:

Unless we choose to live in denial, the igbo speaking part of Delta may be termed 'Igbos of Delta'. Our languages are dialects of the larger Igbo language and we may be grouped as 'sub ethnic' groups of the Igbo.

That doesn't mean I'm identifying with the Igbos. Heck no. Proudly Ukwuani grin

My lovely hairy sister, how you dey? long time. You have been fighting ipob on this forum, i want to know if your ukwuani village will enjoy staying with we yoruba and hausa muslims if the ibos are allowed to have their biafra. grin

10 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by SlayerSupreme: 9:46pm On Jun 17, 2016
Delta Igbo should be used exclusively to refer to Igbos in Asaba area in my opinion. There's Benin influence in ukwuani and Ndokwa. When I met some people from those areas I lost hope on their issue. Please they're not Igbos,when you see their perception to life and their Benin names you'd know they're not Igbos. Leave the slave descendants. THE IGBO NATION IS TOO GREAT TO CARE. Ndi Igbo Kwenu!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by naijacampu(m): 9:47pm On Jun 17, 2016
Nomswag:

na by force 2 join una.....shuuuoooo.......no bad blood j,ust dat i prefers 2 b called a niger deltan
Join una? Who needs and unknown confused person like you. Meanwhile -

Re: Delta Igbos by PhilemonObende: 9:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
Ishilove:

Don't let my father hear you. He will break ya head hecause he has declared to all and sundry that he is Ukwuani, not igbo. grin

But if we are to look at it holistically, the Ukwuani are part of the Igbo although we have long since denied this.

What is identity? "We see ourselves as multitudes' wrote the psychologist Walt Whitman. In other words, in that innate part of our psyches, who are who we say we are, even if it is different from how the world sees us.

Take for example, in a plane full of white people, you and another fellow are the only black people on board, you will find yourself subconsciously gravitating towards that black person because a bond has been formed based on your racial identities. The plane passengers see two black people, the black see people each other as 'brothers'.

Same with the Ukwuani. They have long rejected the ethnic nomenclature 'Igbo', even if the facts state otherwise. A core aspect of us have embraced the notion that we are a separate ethnic group and thus, we are who we say we are.

so you enjoy the fact that you and your father have been deceiving yourselves due to anti-Ibo politics. Do you people have conscience in your family at all? grin
Re: Delta Igbos by Ishilove: 9:51pm On Jun 17, 2016
PhilemonObende:

My lovely hairy sister, how you dey? long time. You have fighting ipob on this forum, i want to know if your ukwuani village will enjoy staying with we yoruba and hausa muslims if the ibos are allowed to have their biafra. grin
Mscheeew

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Ishilove: 9:54pm On Jun 17, 2016
PhilemonObende:

so you enjoy the fact that you and your father have been deceiving yourselves due to anti-Ibo politics. Do you people have conscience in your family at all? grin
Emmm... hold on...

Re: Delta Igbos by PhilemonObende: 10:00pm On Jun 17, 2016
Ishilove:

Lmao! cheesy

See ehn, it is not by force. We are not Igbo

'We ukwuani maintain that we are not Igbo/Ibo and will never be.~ ....................................................

If you are really serious about your views come out of anonymity and type your real ukwuani names in the blank spaces above for future reference if you are not deceiving yourself.

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by Ishilove: 10:02pm On Jun 17, 2016
PhilemonObende:

'We ukwuani maintain that we are not Igbo/Ibo and will never be.~ ....................................................

If you are really serious about your views come out of anonymity and type your real ukwuani names in the blank spaces above for future reference if you are not deceiving yourself.

grin grin
Okay

Philomena Obeta

That's my real name

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Delta Igbos by mightyokwy(m): 10:11pm On Jun 17, 2016
Imagine ishilove of all people. Ishilove u dy fall hand big time. Anyway like ugwumba has rightfully pointed out, we all know that there are two set of igbo people in Delta State, the freeborn and their slaves who migrated from Benin. Pls choose where you belong now before is too late grin cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbos by PhilemonObende: 10:12pm On Jun 17, 2016
Ishilove:

Okay

Philomena Obeta

That's my real name

Fear catch am! Now you and everyone else know you are deceiving yourself.

Let me show you an example..

'I am philemon obende, I am NOT Ibo. Let it be know for the next 300 years on the internet that I am not Ibo.'

This is what principled people do, not hiding behind NL to claim 'I am not Ibo' but your fathers are holding hands with ibos in ohaneze meetings in real life. Shame suppose catch you.

grin grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbos by mightyokwy(m): 10:15pm On Jun 17, 2016
Ishilove:

Okay

Philomena Obeta

That's my real name
No wonder, you are no where near igbo.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 17, 2016
A few claim to be Igbo. Some like Ika and Ukwuani are Igboid. The language sounds like Igbo but it's quite difficult for an average Igbo to understand. These Igboids don't understand Igbo well too.
Re: Delta Igbos by sarutobie(m): 10:20pm On Jun 17, 2016
Who even has time for such frivolous argument these days? when the gains of struggle is being shared tomorrow, you will see them coming out from their caves trying to identify...a chat with an urobo friend on Facebook illuminated this to me...they all want it but have no guts to fight for it..everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Ishilove: 10:24pm On Jun 17, 2016
PhilemonObende:

Fear catch am! Now you and everyone else know you are deceiving yourself.

Let me show you an example..

'I am philemon obende, I am NOT Ibo. Let it be know for the next 300 years on the internet that I am not Ibo.'

This is what principled people do, not hiding behind NL to claim 'I am not Ibo' but your fathers are holding hands with ibos in ohaneze meetings in real life. Shame suppose catch you.

grin grin grin

Philemon Obende, now I know you're trolling
Re: Delta Igbos by PhilemonObende: 10:35pm On Jun 17, 2016
Abagworo:
Igbos in Delta are found only in Oshimili and Aniocha LGAs with a spill over into Ika and Ndokwa. Ika and Ndokwa will do anything to sabotage Igbo and I have long blacklisted them when it comes to Igbo affairs. All well meaning Igbos should do same.

See who dey yarn!
I learnt you are the biggest saboteur of ibos, you can sell them for a nickel to fulani like our muslim brother Rochas. Have you also blacklisted yourself?

I bet some ibos here will give an arm to rid of you, they'll even prefer even the ukwuani over you. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by SonOfEl(m): 10:39pm On Jun 17, 2016
All this revisionists cloaking as concerned Igbo observers....just like the op....LEAVE IGBOS ALONE....na by force? Dem send Igbo swear for Una? There are indigenous Igbo's in delta, akwa ibom, cross river, and rivers states. Particularly in delta and rivers states.

I have a friend from ukwuani who is proudly Igbo, to start with, is UKWU-ANI not an Igbo word? Why am I even responding to some fake ukwuanis here on this thread? Mtcheeeeew......

Op, you are not smart, we know your type. You daydream about Igbo's everyday...leave igbos alone pls

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbos by PhilemonObende: 10:40pm On Jun 17, 2016
Ishilove:

If Americans say they have identified the superb intelligence of ibos and decide to make the US visa-free for Ibos, will you and other ukwuanis still maintain that you are not Ibo? grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by honourhim: 10:54pm On Jun 17, 2016
If any Igbo in Edo /Delta is denying being Igbo then its up to the person..
I as a person cannot favour a Yoruba man or an Hausa man more than a Delta man bearing Igbo name. For me, he is my brother. Except he denies being Igbo of which i will then treat him as a stranger.

An Ika man was once made a bishop in our church and the Yorubas fought him so much but all the igbos stood solidly behind him and gave him tremendous support which helped him to succeed. Today, everybody (including the Yorubas) are enjoying the worthy legacies he left behind.

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by sonya4all(m): 11:06pm On Jun 17, 2016
Igboid:

Fair enough. Atleast you are intelligent and wise enough to not sttart making generalized statements.
On the marriage stuff, it's same even in SE, some towns would prefer marrying only from amongst themselves, for example the Ohafia and Abriba of Abia state are known for that, they hardly give their daughters away to any other non Ohafia/ Abriba clan.
And the ancient Igbos said: Uzo di nma, aga ya ugboro ibuo ( If a road is good, it will be passed through twice).
Families in SE that had bad experiences giving their daughters out to a particular Igbo clan or marrying a lady from a particular Igbo clan usually make it as a policy never to marry from that particular clan.
Ikas are just ignorant of the different clans in SE, so would obviously classify all Igbos as one, once they have a problem with marrying from SE.
The Aniochas and Oshimilis seem to understand the Igbo clan divisions in SE due to the fact they have come to have most of us live amongst them in large numbers, this is responsible for their better understanding of the nature of Igbo nation than the rest of the Anioma groups and inturn the ease of their acceptance of the Igbo tag.
The average Ika and Ukwuani knows next to nothing about the complexity of the Igbo clans in SE. They see SE as one big monolithic area, the Oshimilis and Aniocha know better.
you are more ignorant, its written all over your posts
Re: Delta Igbos by sonya4all(m): 11:07pm On Jun 17, 2016
first i would want to say that this issue had been trashed a long time ago on several threads in culture section, but because of some unpleasant things am seeing here i want to make it known like igboid said for the benefits of young people who wants to know about themselves in future via the internet,ANIOMA is a coinage of 4 different ethnicities namely,Aniocha,Ndokwa,Ika and Oshimili.with the last letters MA.to make it pronouncable,also Anioma is not listed in delta state constitution as an IGBO ethnic group like ugomba or someone mentioned here,i speak for myself and majority of IKAS,that we are not igbos though some of the other ethnicities might accept being called igbo,but am here for ika.and i respect their wish,but what annoys me is the immaturity being exhibited here by the some people by way of insulting people who wish to be identified by a particular name or tag obviously for reasons best known to them.this should not be so...i am proudly an IKA man.and that should be respected...cheers.

ishilove,bless you

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Sirsubway1: 11:12pm On Jun 17, 2016
Ishilove:

So you think his real name is Philemon? The kid is a famous troll here that clone peoples real name to cause trouble and do e-war. There is a poster called donphillous, I think he cloned his real name just to get back to the guy, and the real donphilous is not even Yoruba but that kid is trying to claim Yoruba just to cause trouble.

Check all his handles like Ooni, ArodeTsolaye, SegunAdewole, AdebayoTunji, e.t.c His fellow Ibos are even ashamed of his childish ways of bringing ridicule to them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbos by Blacklight: 11:15pm On Jun 17, 2016
I am Ukwuani only! Not because I hate Igbos or fear the "political" implication of being Igbo, as many Igbos persistently suggest but because I, and I dare say the vast majority of Ukwuanis simply want to be Ukwuani.

There's even little need for discussing the historical ancestrage of the Ukwuanis (which, from oral transmission has very little to say about the Igbos) -- what really matters is how the Ukwuanis define themselves now and for the future.

I read someone ask what it is that the Ukwuanis can bring to the Igbos that justifies the seeming pride. I admit that there really is little the Ukwuanis have to bring along and this is the more reason why they must chart their course independently.

Nice job Ishioma!! Take it easy. No views but ours can define us.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbos by honourhim: 11:20pm On Jun 17, 2016
sonya4all:
first i would want to say that this issue had been trashed a long time ago on several threads in culture section, but because if some unpleasant things am seeing here i want to make it known like igboid said for the benefits of young people who wants to know about themselves in future via the internet,ANIOMA is a coinage of 4 different ethnicities namely,Aniocha,Ndokwa,Ika and Oshimili.with the last letters MA.to make it pronouncable,also Anioma is not listed in delta state constitution as an IGBO ethnic group like ugomba or someone mentioned here,i speak for myself and majority of IKAS,that we are not igbos though some of the other ethnicities might accept being called igbo,but am here for ika.and i respect their wish,but what annoys me is the immaturity being exhibited here by the some people by way of insulting people who wish to be identified by a particular name or tag obviously for reasons best known to them.this should not be so...i am proudly an IKA man.and that should be respected...cheers.

ishilove,bless you

Its your choice and that's ok but i doubt if this is general view in Ika. Your brother who was once our bishop identified with we igbos as his brothers and we supported and shielded him against the many attacks of the Yorubas..
If its a general view in Ika land kindly let me know so that i will correct the wrong impression among my people that Ika people are not gbos. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by Igboid: 11:24pm On Jun 17, 2016
sonya4all:

you are more ignorant, its written all over your posts

You this descendant of a Bini slave, so you are still alive?
You survived the punches Ogbuefi gave you and Agbontae?

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by Ishilove: 11:25pm On Jun 17, 2016
Sirsubway1:

So you think his real name is Philemon? The kid is a famous troll here that clone peoples real name to cause trouble and do e-war. There is a poster called donphillous, I think he cloned his real name just to get back to the guy, and the real donphilous is not even Yoruba but that kid is trying to claim Yoruba just to cause trouble.

Check all his handles like Ooni, ArodeTsolaye, SegunAdewole, AdebayoTunji, e.t.c His fellow Ibos are even ashamed of his childish ways of bringing ridicule to them.
I know the handle is an alt used for the sole purpose of mischief.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by Ishilove: 11:28pm On Jun 17, 2016
Blacklight:
I am Ukwuani only! Not because I hate Igbos or fear the "political" implication of being Igbo, as many Igbos persistently suggest but because I, and I dare say the vast majority of Ukwuanis simply want to be Ukwuani.

There's even little need for discussing the historical ancestrage of the Ukwuanis (which, from oral transmission has very little to say about the Igbos) -- what really matters is how the Ukwuanis define themselves now and for the future.

I read someone ask what it is that the Ukwuanis can bring to the Igbos that justifies the seeming pride. I admit that there really is little the Ukwuanis have to bring along and this is the more reason why they must chart their course independently.

Ha, finally someone that READS. You have perfectly articulated the point I was trying to make all along, right from my first post here.

Thank goodness, so there are sensible people online after all

Bless you
Re: Delta Igbos by Igboid: 11:29pm On Jun 17, 2016
honourhim:

Its your choice and that's ok but i doubt if this is general view in Ika. Your brother who was once our bishop identified with we igbos as his brothers and we supported and shielded him against the many attacks of the Yorubas..
If its a general view in Ika land kindly let me know so that i will correct the wrong impression among my people that Ika people are not gbos. Thanks.

It's not. Ogbuefi a once prominent member of this forum is from Igbodo in Ika, and he was a proud Igbo man who stood against and repeatedly disgraced the likes of sony4all with historical facts. Go through this thread to see his exchanges with descendants of Bini slaves in Anioma and their Bini supporters:
https://www.nairaland.com/458875/delta-igbo-bendel-igbo-what

The Obi of Owa in Ika, once published a book reaffirming Owa Nri ancestry, see it here:[img]http://books.google.com/books?id=WXouAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA48&img=1&pgis=1&dq=%22Though+we+know+our+root+is+firmly+Nri,+(Nshi)%22&sig=ACfU3U3X_cnS3VZsWnf4ZNd4aWsukPCesQ&edge=0[/img]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
Blacklight:

LMAO
Ukwuani is an Igbo word with a very clear Igbo meaning.
Anambra is also Anambra, but is part of the Igbo group.

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Ishilove: 11:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
sonya4all:
first i would want to say that this issue had been trashed a long time ago on several threads in culture section, but because of some unpleasant things am seeing here i want to make it known like igboid said for the benefits of young people who wants to know about themselves in future via the internet,ANIOMA is a coinage of 4 different ethnicities namely,Aniocha,Ndokwa,Ika and Oshimili.with the last letters MA.to make it pronouncable,also Anioma is not listed in delta state constitution as an IGBO ethnic group like ugomba or someone mentioned here,i speak for myself and majority of IKAS,that we are not igbos though some of the other ethnicities might accept being called igbo,but am here for ika.and i respect their wish,but what annoys me is the immaturity being exhibited here by the some people by way of insulting people who wish to be identified by a particular name or tag obviously for reasons best known to them.this should not be so...i am proudly an IKA man.and that should be respected...cheers.

ishilove,bless you
Don't waste your mb on bigots, sir

Bless you too
Re: Delta Igbos by zendy: 11:36pm On Jun 17, 2016
I will never know how someone can be calling someone 'Delta Igbo' and still be asking if they are Igbo. I'm an Anambra man, if you call me 'Anambra Igbo', Im still Igbo? No doubt that the Western Igbos, sometimes refered to as Delta Igbos or Anioma have had a lot of influences from neigbouring tribes such Bini and the rest. That sort of thing can create an identity crises. It was made worse when many, during and after the civil war, had to deny being Igbo due to repercussions. Creation of states did not help either. But someone who is reasonable can try to identify who they are by the language they speak, their surname and where their ancestral land is. And if they can't, God help them

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Huge Crowd At Osun-Osogbo Festival (Photos) / Royal Family Rejects Abdulwasiu Gbolahan Lawal As New Oniru Of Iruland / The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.