Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,884 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

Delta Igbos - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbos (39558 Views)

I Noticed Delta Igbos Have That Wafi Attitude / Delta Igbos In Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbos by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:39pm On Jun 17, 2016
Lezzlie:
The emboldened underline your lack of political depth. And again your hypocritical segregational stance. Onitsha claim they aren't "Igbos" too. So there's no bases for your wrongly held notion of "our Ontisha" for people who deny you in reality or pretense.

And of course they share the same oral history with Anioma.
But you fail to see the huge geopolitical spread it would have done the Igbo nation: having a huge unbroken foothold spreading from the east onto the Niger-delta.
Do, which spread will it do igbos if they claim they are not igbos
Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jun 17, 2016
zendy:
I will never know how someone can be calling someone 'Delta Igbo' and still be asking if they are Igbo. I'm an Anambra man, if you call me 'Anambra Igbo', Im still Igbo? No doubt that the Western Igbos, sometimes refered to as Delta Igbos or Anioma have had a lot of influences from neigbouring tribes such Bini and the rest. That sort of thing can create an identity crises. It was made worse when many during and after the civil war, many people had to deny being Igbo due to repercussoons. But someone who is reasonable can try to identify who they are by the language they speak, their surname and where their ancestral land is
^^ My brother, APC dull@rdism has taken over Nairaland for many months now.

In saying, "Delta Igbo", the word 'Delta' becomes an adjective qualifying 'Igbo'.
Consequently, "Delta Igbo" refers to Igbo people who live in the Delta.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by Blacklight: 11:41pm On Jun 17, 2016
quid:

LMAO
Ukwuani is an Igbo word with a very clear Igbo meaning.
Anambra is also Anambra, but is part of the Igbo group.

Laugh on sir! Your laughter matters very little to me but could mean a lot for you.
Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jun 17, 2016
Blacklight:

Laugh on sir! Your laughter matters very little to me but could mean a lot for you.
APC dull@rdism has overtaken Nairaland for many months now grin grin

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by OMAR12: 11:44pm On Jun 17, 2016
we won't be having this argument if we had an Igbo country, If anioma state had been created and drafted into the south eastern region. some of u guys are looking at it as a regional issue, there is south east and there is aliigbo, all this will end when the anioma brother to the other state in the south east finally come home, south eastern need to push for the anioma state, for anioma has always paid the price from time inmemorial, from the ikas preventing the Bini head hunters from penetrating the other part of igboland to the massacre after the bridge was blow up. I support the creation of anioma state to join the east against Igbo etiti and the rest. anioma kwenu

5 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by ikechu1: 11:44pm On Jun 17, 2016
This thread is still going on. I swear something is wrong with SE igbos sometime.

Anyway continue.
Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jun 17, 2016
ikechu1:
This thread is still going on. I swear something is wrong with SE igbos sometime.

Anyway continue.

I agree with you. The thread should have died when it was exposed that the op is yoruba. If it were yorubas, they would either abandon the thread or mock the op; but my igbo friends will continue messing themselves. Truly, the yorubas are smart. Am just coming out of a long ban for insulting the yorubas; meanwhile I only responded to an insult.
Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
Afrobeau:
Hello my beautiful people, I was just wondering about this. My boyfriend is from Delta state and speaks Igbo and also has an Igbo last name. But my question is, why is it that some Delta-Igbos try to say that they are not Igbos? Why do they hate being associated with their Igbo ancestry? Don't tell me that Igbos don't like Delta-Igbos because that shouldn't be an issue, once you are Igbo, you are Igbo and have every right to claim your Igboness lol... And by the way, I don't know any Igbos that hate Delta Igbos, it's always Delta-igbos trying to make it clear that they are not Igbo Just like Mr. Sunday Olise. I understand that there are other tribes in Delta State that are not Igbo but since Nigerian cultural system is a patriarchy, there is virtually no way that you can get an Igbo surname unless your forefathers were Igbos and since Delta state has always been in the South Eastern part of Nigeria, it is very possible that the Igbos were settled there even before the so-claimed migration from the Benin-empire? I love Delta Igbos but I don't know why they dissociate themselves from their tribe. Some of them say their Igbo language is different but what they are actually referring to is their dialect, if a man from Awka in Anambra state speaks his native awka dialect a man from Eziagu in Enugu state may not understand it but they are both Igbos. I don't fully understand all of my boyfriend's dialect when he speaks in his Agbor dialect but I can piece the words together and make out the sentence... It's Igbo based. I don't have this issue with my boyfriend though, I was just researching on his origin and culture of his people and came across many delta-igbos claiming they are not Igbo. If your surname is Igbo but you don't think you're Igbo enough Why is that?
^^ Why are you recycling rumors when your fellow Nigerians are suffering ?

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by Igboid: 11:53pm On Jun 17, 2016
Realman87:

I agree with you. The thread should have died when it was exposed that the op is yoruba. If it were yorubas, they would either abandon the thread or mock the op; but my igbo friends will continue messing themselves. Truly, the yorubas are smart.

I disagree, issues like this need not be swept under the carpet, doing so don't solve them, or make them go away. They need to be discussed, so that we know those with us and those not with us, rather than merely assuming that because you speak same language with a person, the person is automatically allied to you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbos by Igboid: 11:56pm On Jun 17, 2016
Blacklight:

Why should it mean a lot to him? Ukwuani has no other meaning other than the one Igbo language assigned to it.

Ukwuani= Ukwu( low) + Ani( land) = Lowland.
As opposed to Enuani= Highland.

grin
Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 17, 2016
Igboid:

Why should it mean a lot to him? Ukwuani has no other meaning other the one Igbo language assigned to it.
grin
TOLD them grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by honourhim: 11:58pm On Jun 17, 2016
Igboid:

It's not. Ogbuefi a once prominent member of this forum is from Igbodo in Ika, and he was a proud Igbo man who stood against and repeatedly disgraced the likes of sony4all with historical facts. Go through this thread to see his exchanges with descendants of Bini slaves in Anioma and their Bini supporters:
https://www.nairaland.com/458875/delta-igbo-bendel-igbo-what

The Obi of Owa in Ika, once published a book reaffirming Owa Nri ancestry, see it here:[img]http://books.google.com/books?id=WXouAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA48&img=1&pgis=1&dq=%22Though+we+know+our+root+is+firmly+Nri,+(Nshi)%22&sig=ACfU3U3X_cnS3VZsWnf4ZNd4aWsukPCesQ&edge=0[/img]
..ok. I will check the link.
Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jun 17, 2016
Igboid:

I disagree, issues like this need not be swept under the carpet, doing so don't solve them, or make them go away. They need to be discussed, so that we know those with us and those not with us, rather than merely assuming that because you speak same language with a person, the person is automatically allied to you.

You are also correct. But the thread was opened by a hater to cause division. It wasn't opened by a delta igbo or SE igbo. It was opened by a yoruba who claims her boyfriend.... Since the op is a hater, you shouldn't fall for her tricks. And this ukwuani, ika ... has been dealt with severally in the past.
Re: Delta Igbos by Igboid: 12:00am On Jun 18, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

We would have had another Abandoned property saga on our hands, with Ndiigbo declared strangers and land grabbers in Onitsha.

But by keeping Onitsha, we have drowned Onitsha Igbo denials over time, and through that, we are reaching out to the rest of Anioma and will ultimately draw them into the fold. cool
Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 12:01am On Jun 18, 2016
grin grin grin grin
This thread is a distraction.
We should start preparing for the first Igbo governor of Lagos state

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 12:03am On Jun 18, 2016
Afrobeau:
Hello my beautiful people, I was just wondering about this. My boyfriend is from Delta state and speaks Igbo and also has an Igbo last name. But my question is, why is it that some Delta-Igbos try to say that they are not Igbos? Why do they hate being associated with their Igbo ancestry? Don't tell me that Igbos don't like Delta-Igbos because that shouldn't be an issue, once you are Igbo, you are Igbo and have every right to claim your Igboness lol... And by the way, I don't know any Igbos that hate Delta Igbos, it's always Delta-igbos trying to make it clear that they are not Igbo Just like Mr. Sunday Olise. I understand that there are other tribes in Delta State that are not Igbo but since Nigerian cultural system is a patriarchy, there is virtually no way that you can get an Igbo surname unless your forefathers were Igbos and since Delta state has always been in the South Eastern part of Nigeria, it is very possible that the Igbos were settled there even before the so-claimed migration from the Benin-empire? I love Delta Igbos but I don't know why they dissociate themselves from their tribe. Some of them say their Igbo language is different but what they are actually referring to is their dialect, if a man from Awka in Anambra state speaks his native awka dialect a man from Eziagu in Enugu state may not understand it but they are both Igbos. I don't fully understand all of my boyfriend's dialect when he speaks in his Agbor dialect but I can piece the words together and make out the sentence... It's Igbo based. I don't have this issue with my boyfriend though, I was just researching on his origin and culture of his people and came across many delta-igbos claiming they are not Igbo. If your surname is Igbo but you don't think you're Igbo enough Why is that?

[size=18pt]If Delta-Igbos are not Igbo, why the historical classification of Nzeogwu as Igbo ? ? ?[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Igboid: 12:03am On Jun 18, 2016
Realman87:

You are also correct. But the thread was opened by a hater to cause division. It wasn't opened by a delta igbo or SE igbo. It was opened by a yoruba who claims her boyfriend.... Since the op is a hater, you shouldn't fall for her tricks. And this ukwuani, ika ... has been dealt with severally in the past.

The problem is that the Bini slaves descendants in Anioma are in the minority but are a very vocal minority in their attempt to impose a non Igbo identity on Anioma.

The proudly Igbo ones simply ignore them and go about their daily activities.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by Blacklight: 12:11am On Jun 18, 2016
Igboid:

Why should it mean a lot to him? Ukwuani has no other meaning other the one Igbo language assigned to it.

grin

Good for you, sir.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by Abagworo(m): 12:12am On Jun 18, 2016
PhilemonObende:

See who dey yarn!
I learnt you are the biggest saboteur of ibos, you can sell them for a nickel to fulani like our muslim brother Rochas. Have you also blacklisted yourself?

I bet some ibos here will give an arm to rid of you, they'll even prefer even the ukwuani over you. grin grin

Those Igbos don't know Igbo well and what we need in Nigeria. I am a realist to the fullest and mean well for Igbos and our unity. My fight with Anambra Igbos has yielded result of Igbos respecting every part of Igboland on Nairaland and it was my aim all along. No Igbo is bigger than the other but when one part tries to lord over others I get mad and cut them to size.

As for those still living in dreams of SS minorities loving Igbos they don't know reality at all. Our relationship should be strictly on mutual benefits and not sacrificial as some Igbos foolishly did and are still doing for Jonathan's loss. He got no love for us and never will. I know because I am rooted deeply in both zones hence my long drawn conclusion. In Nigeria the North is the beautiful bride.
Re: Delta Igbos by ikechu1: 12:13am On Jun 18, 2016
Igboid:

We would have had another Abandoned property saga on our hands, with Ndiigbo declared strangers and land grabbers in Onitsha.

But by keeping Onitsha, we have drowned Onitsha Igbo denials over time, and through that, we are reaching out to the rest of Anioma and will ultimately draw them into the fold. cool

I didn't plan on posting on this thread cause I refuse to give the yoloba op the satsification but this your post caught my interest as it is extremely stupid. You cannot force others to follow your mindset, you allow them the chance to follow their own mindset. Whether eventually join your own set is okay, if not, let it go and move on. After all, as Ugomba said, the deniers in Aniomaland are reducing on almost yearly basis and it has nothing to do with SE rambling online, it has everything to do with no one paying attention to them and the leaders getting more evolved.

For example: in the past the aka Ikega group were pro anioma/ika and anti-igbo. Currently, the group is the opposite...from what the media keep reporting, the group is going around calling themselves "igbo think thank group, etc". Do you think SE has a hand in that? No you did not. You played absolutely no factor to it, excluding maybe Nnamdi Kanu. The factor that very likely changed their mindset is because the obi of owa and obi of idumuje unor spoke. In addition to the recently found book written by the past Dein of Agbor played a factor into it, Not SE.

Constantly pushing your own opinion on others is just flat out stupid.

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Igboid: 12:20am On Jun 18, 2016
ikechu1:

I didn't plan on posting on this thread cause I refuse to give the yoloba op the satsification but this your post caught my interest as it is extremely stupid. You cannot force others to follow your mindset, you allow them the chance to follow their own mindset. Whether eventually join your own set is okay, if not, let it go and move on. After all, as Ugomba said, the deniers in Aniomaland are reducing on almost yearly basis and it has nothing to do with SE rambling online, it has everything to do with no one paying attention to them and the leaders getting more evolved.

For example: in the past the aka Ikega group were pro anioma/ika and anti-igbo. Currently, the group is the opposite...from what the media keep reporting, the group is going around calling themselves "igbo think thank group, etc". Do you think SE has a hand in that? No you did not. You played absolutely no factor to it, excluding maybe Nnamdi Kanu. The factor that very likely changed their mindset is because the obi of owa and obi of idumuje unor spoke. In addition to the recently found book written by the past Dein of Agbor played a factor into it, Not SE.

Constantly pushing your own opinion on others is just flat out stupid.

No one is pushing any opinion on others. The Igbo is too proud a race to beg anyone to be part of us. This very fact should be obvious to you, seeing as you are Igbo,

Yes, there exists elements of Igbo denial in Anioma, and most of them are built around ignorance. Constant discussion of issues at hand will always help both sides understand the issues better.

And not silence.

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Lezzlie(m): 12:22am On Jun 18, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Everyone including Onitsha indigens who chant the Igbo denial song know it's all a hypocritical political expediency.

Western Igbos are part of Ohaneze. And Onitsha saying they aren't Igbo is also another way of alluding to their oral history of emigrating from Benin by their patriarch Eze Chime.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 12:26am On Jun 18, 2016

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by therevelation2: 12:30am On Jun 18, 2016
Ishilove:

Don't let my father hear you. He will break ya head hecause he has declared to all and sundry that he is Ukwuani, not igbo. grin

But if we are to look at it holistically, the Ukwuani are part of the Igbo although we have long since denied this.

What is identity? "We see ourselves as multitudes' wrote the psychologist Walt Whitman. In other words, in that innate part of our psyches, who are who we say we are, even if it is different from how the world sees us.

Take for example, in a plane full of white people, you and another fellow are the only black people on board, you will find yourself subconsciously gravitating towards that black person because a bond has been formed based on your racial identities. The plane passengers see two black people, the black see people each other as 'brothers'.

Same with the Ukwuani. They have long rejected the ethnic nomenclature 'Igbo', even if the facts state otherwise. A core aspect of us have embraced the notion that we are a separate ethnic group and thus, we are who we say we are.

You should be very careful Ishi***............

I will send you a message on facebook tomorrow...............

How is your son Soulsista?.................

I will stop here.........

Cc PhilemonObende

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos by Igboid: 12:34am On Jun 18, 2016
Lezzlie:
Everyone including Onitsha indigens who chant the Igbo denial song know it's all a hypocritical political expediency.

Western Igbos are part of Ohaneze. And Onitsha saying they aren't Igbo is also another way of alluding to their oral history of emigrating from Benin by their patriarch Eze Chime.

Onitsha of today are proud Igbos. The Igbo denial generation are almost close to their graves.

Listen to the Obi of Onitsha: https://www.naij.com/444165-bring-your-businesses-home-obi-of-onitsha-tell-igbos.html

With time, that Ezechime story will be cracked and more factual and Igbo one accepted, all that is holding this is "one Nigeria".

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Emeka71(m): 12:48am On Jun 18, 2016
I'm from Idumuje-unor; all I know is that I'm ibo.

6 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Nobody: 12:50am On Jun 18, 2016
Emeka71:
I'm from Idumuje-unor; all I know is that I'm ibo.
Welldone jare.
When it is time to appoint ministers now, they will marginalize you and call you Biafra. . . grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Ishilove: 1:08am On Jun 18, 2016
therevelation2:

Cc Phile.monObende
Lmao! Same old tactics. Ishi... ko, ihsi ni.

Mscheeew. Fuckoff

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Ugomba(m): 1:37am On Jun 18, 2016
@Sonya4all.
Don't mention my name in ur mentioning when talking ur ika crap.
My Ogwashi Ukwu and Aniocha people are important to me, I don't give a hoot about your ika.
Anypeople who want to be Benin slave are free to.. My origin in Aniocha have a strong link to the Ancient Nri kingdom and we are Proudly Igbos.

6 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by DLioness(f): 1:44am On Jun 18, 2016
All these bat ppl, neithr bird nor animal. Stop using igbotic names and Language so dt we cn be completely different. Create a new Language or beg God to gv u ppl one. Heediots!

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbos by Sirsubway1: 3:14am On Jun 18, 2016
[s]
therevelation2:

Cc PhilemonObende
[/s]

Lousy coward, get lost and stop disgracing your family.
Re: Delta Igbos by Dynamite02: 3:23am On Jun 18, 2016
Talking about delta igbos, are the ukwani's part of them? Why are they and every other tribe generally referred to as "Kwale"? People from Aboh belong to what tribe? Are they ukwani's too? Is the ukwani a local government or a tribe?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Royal Family Rejects Abdulwasiu Gbolahan Lawal As New Oniru Of Iruland / The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.