Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism (9871 Views)

Isaac Newton On Atheism / An Eckist's (personal-view) Thread On Atheism Vs Christianity Feud / Why A Preacher Gave Up On Jesus And Became an Atheist Activist; Jerry DeWitt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by winner01(m): 10:20am On Jun 25, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:
@ realmindz - you have officially won the award of an eristic with the worst arguments after antiparticle and thehomer cool . Dalaman and his threadbare arguments - he'll soon beat realmindz to this .
realmindz replies are just offtrack, devoid of common sense and repititive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by KingEbukaNaija: 10:22am On Jun 25, 2016
winner01:

exactly ! !!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by realmindz: 10:23am On Jun 25, 2016
winner01 u are too arrogant and ignorance is bliss.

who told u otem is not being persecuted, go check out threads created to threaten him by your fellow religious folks and atheists...

But ur arrogant thoughts have made u believe the devil is out specially for ur religion..

KingEbukaNaija, don't u think this guy deserve an award too...? pls get him a medal
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by realmindz: 10:25am On Jun 25, 2016
winner01:
alryt wisest and holiest. wen I have a party I'm gonna invite u, pls don't decline my invitations grin
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by KingEbukaNaija: 10:33am On Jun 25, 2016
winner01:
My sister, even your ancestors will be looking at this comment like:

Oh dear ... lmaoooooo .... lwkmd !!!!

Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by KingEbukaNaija: 10:38am On Jun 25, 2016
Antiparticle:

He needs to justify the Old Testament actions of Yahweh commanding mass murder and infanticide left and right. He needs to help theists understand why Yahweh is a just god and is real.

God who needs to be proven to be real also commanded mass murder and infanticide ? How is that even possible ?! If God is not real then why should you accuse him of commanding those acts

Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by KingEbukaNaija: 10:42am On Jun 25, 2016
realmindz:
winner01 u are too arrogant and ignorance is bliss.

who told u otem is not being persecuted, go check out threads created to threaten him by your fellow religious folks and atheists...

But ur arrogant thoughts have made u believe the devil is out specially for ur religion..

KingEbukaNaija, don't u think this guy deserve an award too...? pls get him a medal

Brother realmindz , there is nothing real about your mind - it is factitious grin . All what mi bro is doing is letting you know that you are making egregious arguments and being obstinate that you are right makes it even more worrying . That is not arrogance , he is just being real with you . cool
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by realmindz: 10:54am On Jun 25, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Brother realmindz , there is nothing real about your mind - it is factitious grin . All what mi bro is doing is letting you know that you are making egregious arguments and being obstinate that you are right makes it even more worrying . That is not arrogance , he is just being real with you . cool
and when did u become his mouthpiece, u are as arrogant as your bro. I'm beginning to doubt both your honesty and reasoning abilities. Well, I sud not ve expected much from u as u are even capable of kissing his as.s at this stage....

One asks u simple questions u have no answer and begin to prove 0 and arrive at 0. Oh king ebuka, u reign in the kingdom of fallacies, delusions and lies
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by KingEbukaNaija: 11:07am On Jun 25, 2016
realmindz:

and when did u become his mouthpiece, u are as arrogant as your bro. I'm beginning to doubt both your honesty and reasoning abilities. Well, I sud not ve expected much from u as u are even capable of kissing his as.s at this stage....

One asks u simple questions u have no answer and begin to prove 0 and arrive at 0. Oh king ebuka, u reign in the kingdom of fallacies, delusions and lies

Read my first response to you . You could not even reply , and you doubt my reasoning abilities ?

And lies ? Lol , the atheist can't deal with facts adduced from credible sources
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by Ranchhoddas: 5:58pm On Jun 25, 2016
winner01:
This is actually proof that there is something about christianity that atheism seeks to suppress.

You have been following his posts but have never spoken against it. Same with ifeness who believes in the annunaki, he identifies as an atheist and no atheist has ever questioned him or any other sick ideas.

The reason is simple:You do not waste your time with a lie..

If domino whoever has turned his life around, i smile and pass whenever i see his comments. He's been posting such on nairaland for a while and i've also been here long enough to notice it. "But i've never spoken about it because i simply do not believe. The belief is just not there. Same goes with the annunaki.
I would never call his ideas or any other sick if he didn't quote me. I'll probably smile and pass like always. That is the definition of unbelief.
The difference between me and you is that I do not believe in his deity. You on the other hand claim not to believe in God and you spend your life speaking about Him. This is simply my point.
Nothing in this world will make me ever spend my life talking about domino whoeever the way you talk about God.

I'm at loss on why most atheists around the world are inclined to fight christianity. Worse is, even muslims turned atheists too. So what then is it about christianity? undecided That singular reason keeps me eager.

“A thousand times over, the death knell of the Bible has been sounded, the funeral procession formed, the inscription cut on the tombstone, and committal read. But somehow the corpse never stays put.”
“No other book has been so chopped, knifed, sifted, scrutinized, and vilified. What book on philosophy or religion or psychology or belles lettres of classical or modern times has been subject to such a mass attack as the Bible? With such venom and skepticism? With such thoroughness and erudition? Upon every chapter, line and tenet?”
- Bernard Ramm.

Do not share your unbelief with me and then falsely claim that i throw my belief in your face.
What kind of strawman is this? Is this what I asked you? Are his claims any more absurd than yours? Note the word 'absurd'.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by winner01(m): 6:04pm On Jun 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
What kind of strawman is this? Is this what I asked you? Are his claims any more absurd than yours? Note the word 'absurd'.
Re-read my reply. This time be a little open-minded, you will wonder why you cant do without God.

2 Likes

Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by Image123(m): 9:59pm On Jun 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Demons are afraid of atheists -Plaetton, (NL 2016).

You believe Plaetton based on?
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by Image123(m): 10:00pm On Jun 25, 2016
realmindz:

How do u know all these things. ?...truly, the religious ones are the wisest ones, they know by what they ve been told then images of their thoughts begin appearing in their minds. From there they establish an everlasting belief.

Young man, you are as foolish as any other person with a contrary religious belief. You are nothing special

The Bible said so, how do you not know these things?
You forgot to ask Ranchhoddas when he was asking questions about the devil and his activities? His questions get answered and you come up with an emotional outburst. Watch that bp.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by ifenes(m): 10:07pm On Jun 25, 2016
winner01:
This is actually proof that there is something about christianity that atheism seeks to suppress.

You have been following his posts but have never spoken against it. Same with ifeness who believes in the annunaki, he identifies as an atheist and no atheist has ever questioned him or any other sick ideas.

The Church started killing unbelievers as early as the 4th century. The killing (often with torture) of heretics, church splinter groups, dissenters, atheists, agnostics, deists, pagans and unbelievers was supported by almost all mainstream Christian theology for over a thousand years, starting with the intolerant St. Augustine (died 430 AD). Christianity had a long run as the world's most violent religion.

The Crusades killed 1 million innocent civilian men, women and children (not in combat).

In 1095, Pope Urban II made this speech to launch the blood-letting of The Crusades.The capture of Jerusalem, 1099. When they took Jerusalem, the Christian army butchered almost every man, woman and child in the city.

St. Bernard of Clairvaux (you can look it up) said when launching the Second Crusade: "The Christian glories in the death of a pagan, because thereby Christ himself is glorified."

In 1209, Pope Innocent III (look it up) called for a crusade to exterminate the Cathar people of France (the Albigensians), simply because they had different superstitious beliefs to his own stupid beliefs. Men, women and children were butchered by the Pope's forces. Rudolph J. Rummel estimates they butchered 200,000 innocent men, women and children.

In 1233, Pope Gregory IX encouraged the extermination of the Stedinger people of Friesland, on the imaginary grounds that they were in league with the (equally-imaginary) Devil. "The devil appears to them in different shapes", said his holiness, "sometimes as a goose or a duck". The entire people were exterminated.

What a shamful past you,winner01,are not aware of maybe due to little or no research about you beloved faith. You are living in a time when christianity is dying out,the reason why you think it is being persecuted.

I will add more;

Witch-hunting - perhaps Christianity's worst crime. Think how many poor innocents have been killed for God; how few have ever been killed for Satan. Many people think 1 million innocents were killed by the witch-hunters, a fella called Rudolph J. Rummel thinks 100,000.

The Church's crimes of witch burning were based on the grossest superstitions - for example, the weather cannot have natural causes but must be caused by witches. This would be comical provided we do not think about what happened to the utterly innocent victims of these delusions - men, women and little children picked from the populace at random and tortured and put to death. The Church should hang its head for ten thousand years in shame for what it did. How dare you defend and believe such a shameful institution.

Protestantism had no problem with the witch-burning, and continued the butchery of innocents long after the Reformation. For example, the "King James Bible" comes from one of these murderers. Luther, Calvin and Wesley supported the killing, just as they opposed science.

I will not talk about the Anunaki simply because it is beyond your understanding. You are a christian. Meaning,you support what the barbaric church did in the past,you oppose science and it will be pointless discussing science with you.

You represent the church and its past dealings. You shouldn't be taken serious because your reasoning and thoughts are 1000 years behind....

If domino whoever has turned his life around, i smile and pass whenever i see his comments. He's been posting such on nairaland for a while and i've also been here long enough to notice it. "But i've never spoken about it because i simply do not believe. The belief is just not there. Same goes with the annunaki.
I would never call his ideas or any other sick if he didn't quote me. I'll probably smile and pass like always. That is the definition of unbelief.
The difference between me and you is that I do not believe in his deity. You on the other hand claim not to believe in God and you spend your life speaking about Him. This is simply my point.
Nothing in this world will make me ever spend my life talking about domino whoeever the way you talk about God.

I'm at loss on why most atheists around the world are inclined to fight christianity. Worse is, even muslims turned atheists too. So what then is it about christianity? undecided That singular reason keeps me eager.

“A thousand times over, the death knell of the Bible has been sounded, the funeral procession formed, the inscription cut on the tombstone, and committal read. But somehow the corpse never stays put.”
“No other book has been so chopped, knifed, sifted, scrutinized, and vilified. What book on philosophy or religion or psychology or belles lettres of classical or modern times has been subject to such a mass attack as the Bible? With such venom and skepticism? With such thoroughness and erudition? Upon every chapter, line and tenet?”
- Bernard Ramm.

Do not share your unbelief with me and then falsely claim that i throw my belief in your face.

2 Likes

Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by KingEbukaNaija: 7:01am On Jun 26, 2016
[s]
ifenes:

The Church started killing unbelievers as early as the 4th century. The killing (often with torture) of heretics, church splinter groups, dissenters, atheists, agnostics, deists, pagans and unbelievers was supported by almost all mainstream Christian theology for over a thousand years, starting with the intolerant St. Augustine (died 430 AD). Christianity had a long run as the world's most violent religion.

The Crusades killed 1 million innocent civilian men, women and children (not in combat).

In 1095, Pope Urban II made this speech to launch the blood-letting of The Crusades.The capture of Jerusalem, 1099. When they took Jerusalem, the Christian army butchered almost every man, woman and child in the city.

St. Bernard of Clairvaux (you can look it up) said when launching the Second Crusade: "The Christian glories in the death of a pagan, because thereby Christ himself is glorified."

In 1209, Pope Innocent III (look it up) called for a crusade to exterminate the Cathar people of France (the Albigensians), simply because they had different superstitious beliefs to his own stupid beliefs. Men, women and children were butchered by the Pope's forces. Rudolph J. Rummel estimates they butchered 200,000 innocent men, women and children.

In 1233, Pope Gregory IX encouraged the extermination of the Stedinger people of Friesland, on the imaginary grounds that they were in league with the (equally-imaginary) Devil. "The devil appears to them in different shapes", said his holiness, "sometimes as a goose or a duck". The entire people were exterminated.

What a shamful past you,winner01,are not aware of maybe due to little or no research about you beloved faith. You are living in a time when christianity is dying out,the reason why you think it is being persecuted.

I will add more;

Witch-hunting - perhaps Christianity's worst crime. Think how many poor innocents have been killed for God; how few have ever been killed for Satan. Many people think 1 million innocents were killed by the witch-hunters, a fella called Rudolph J. Rummel thinks 100,000.

The Church's crimes of witch burning were based on the grossest superstitions - for example, the weather cannot have natural causes but must be caused by witches. This would be comical provided we do not think about what happened to the utterly innocent victims of these delusions - men, women and little children picked from the populace at random and tortured and put to death. The Church should hang its head for ten thousand years in shame for what it did. How dare you defend and believe such a shameful institution.

Protestantism had no problem with the witch-burning, and continued the butchery of innocents long after the Reformation. For example, the "King James Bible" comes from one of these murderers. Luther, Calvin and Wesley supported the killing, just as they opposed science.

I will not talk about the Anunaki simply because it is beyond your understanding. You are a christian. Meaning,you support what the barbaric church did in the past,you oppose science and it will be pointless discussing science with you.

You represent the church and its past dealings. You shouldn't be taken serious because your reasoning and thoughts are 1000 years behind....

[/s]

No christian assents to the supposedly despicable acts done by the Catholic Church . Christianity is about adhering to the teachings and life of Christ - any abberant should not be described as a christian or be called a Christian community because their acts are not under the aegis of the bible .
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by blueAgent(m): 4:20am On Jun 27, 2016
HardMirror:

There are hundreds of well established pastors, evangelists etc who ended up being atheist. All I can say is, I sought the God with all my heart, I tried real hard not to give up on all the years of my assumed relationship with God, but in the end I had to yield to reason (common sense) for to believe in God, you have to allow your emotions make decisions for you and not your common sense.

Clown.were is the common sense in believing that life came by Chance?

1 Like

Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by blueAgent(m): 4:25am On Jun 27, 2016
Antiparticle:

I never claimed that atheism has done anything for humanity -- atheism is merely the absence of belief in gods or god concepts. Atheism makes no claims. Science is what has done loads for humanity. You seem to claim that science and Christianity are self re-enforcing, and you seem to make wild claims that religion is responsible for science. You do not realize that correlation does not imply causation.

If we were to follow Jesus's words, we wouldn't build hospitals, all we would do is pray endlessly for healing. If we were to follow Yahweh's or the Apostle Paul's words, Africans would still be enslaved today. If we were to follow the Bible's claims, modern medicine's understanding of genetics would be false, yet we know it isn't false because we have been able to develop genetic therapies as well as developments that are based on evolutionary biology.

Genetics, archaeology, paleontology, geography, and astrophysics tell us much more about nature than the Bible ever did.

If we were to follow Yahweh's words, slavery and mass murder would be the order of the day. If we were to follow Jesus' words, why is it that he hasn't come back yet even though he told his followers that he would be back within their lifetimes?

Christianity has done little to nothing to move the human race ahead, science has done much more. The Catholic Church fought science during The Age of Enlightenment (16th to 18th century Europe), with popes ordering the murder and oppression of rationalists & skeptics who questioned aspects of Christian doctrine about nature. The Age of Enlightenment was a period in Western Europe in which scientific progress accelerated, the impetus for this acceleration was that people/scientists realized that reason and rational thinking, not divinity or religion, is the primary source of epistemological authority and legitimacy. That many of the scientists of that era were loosely called Christians does not imply that
Christianity and science were ever self re-enforcing.

Anyways, here's my response for why people should not believe. It is a previous post of mine -> https://www.nairaland.com/3085047/part-2-pastor-atheist-why/12#45475099

Fix your brain. were did Jesus ask us not to treat ourselves when sick? and where does the Bible enforce Slavery?

1 Like

Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by blueAgent(m): 4:29am On Jun 27, 2016
winner01:
And now i'm telling you. Atheism has done far more havoc than good to humanity and i proved that HERE and HERE. Atheism is not merely the absence of belief in God or gods. Atheism is a belief system that seeks to compel people to join its train. I have an absence of belief in santa claus or superman. I do not spend each day of my life talking about them because the belief is just not there. If I see people who believe in them and are happy, i'll smile. Now thats what MERE UNBELIEF is. The time and energy you spend on this section proves that you people are battling with your conscience to suppress your belief in the existence of your Creator.

Science, science, science. You cant just stand on your own, can you? undecided You need to cling to science or any other thing to validate your claims. I've made claims on how religious minds are breathtakingly productive, disprove that and stop try to rephrase my claims to suit your arguments..

Jesus commanded his followers to make 'disciples of all nations'. And that is exactly what i see christians doing. I see christians building hospitals, I see christians building educational institutes, Prestigious institutes such as Havard, Princeton, Oxford, Cambridge and several others were founded by christians. I see christians building countless orphanages. Christianity runs the largest charity in the world, Christians spend their time in hospital deathbeds-giving hope to the hopeless, in prison cells-giving hope to the condemned, in camps of people who have been rendered homeless by terrorists spreading help and encouragement, consistently engaging in village outreaches amongst others. I see christianity putting smiles on the faces of people. Countless people have become disciples of Christ through the love shown to them so what exactly is wrong with you? undecided Just like several other christian organizations, the Christian relief organization Feed My Starving Children has a distribution partner in Malawi, Africa. In recent years, Christianity has seen a rapid growth in Africa. In 2005, there were four times as many non-Western World Christians as there were Western World Christians.

Jesus never said we should always pray endlessly for healing in churches. Jesus never said that people should not work to help people. Doctors pray, does that mean they wont do their Job? undecided Whatever opinions you have about christianity is your and yours alone.

I bolded 'we' in the above, Who exactly are these 'we'? undecided. And which developments are based on evolutionary biology?. I hope you wont start telling me about adaptation (micro-evolution). What exactly has darwinian macro-evolution done for humanity?

Because the Bible is not a science textbook. Nowhere does the Bible stop man from exploring his world. The Bible only contains historical occurences and documentation that can hep us know more about God.

Thanks to Genetics and paleontology, without these, we would take in the lie of darwinian evolution hookline and sinker. Thanks to archaeology, we have been able to confirm several historical occurences in the Bible. None of these fields was discovered by an atheist, neither do they present evidence to support atheism.

You see. i'm not supposed to reply all these rants, as a matter of fact, i've decided to waste lesser time with desperate atheists. I've gotten more concerned with disproving atheism, rather than arguing God or the Bible with any atheist. Most especially not on this forum, cos i'm beginning to get the point of this section of the forum.
Atheists have been the biggest mass murderers in history (source1, source 2). Till date, atheism still have suicidal and muderous tendencies, you may help yourself out with the links if you wish.

Look you need to learn how to learn, unlearn and re-learn, especially in this age. Ignorance can never be an excuse. Whenever you choose to discuss God, christianity or the Bible, Do not refer me to a site regulated by an atheist. Co-Founder of Wikipedia, the atheist Jimmy Wales

If you are interested in the bias of wikipedia against Christianity, click HERE.

Nairaland is also a good example of bias. The absence of a christian section is one, The kind of topics that are quick to make front page to defame God, christianity and pastors is also glaring for any sensitive christian to make inferences from, the more reasonable topics don't hit front page.

Atheism will do absolutely anything to further its cause. An example is the rise of atheist mega-churches, where people go every sunday instead of churches. Atheist leaders in the 20th century enforced a totalitarian law worse than islam which saw to the death of over 256,000,000 people.
What do we have today, Christianity is still waxing strong.
You see, atheism is not science and has absolutely nothing to offer science except maybe the religion of darwinian evolution. Atheism, if anything, has only suppressed science.(source1), (source2)

I agree that science has done much more for humanity. But you are in no place to tell me that. You are an atheist, not a scientist. Atheism is not science.
Those people who moved science forward were deeply religious. Research has shows that religiosity and education are directly proportional? (source).

Why on earth would i want to be interested in the reason why some people believe that the samsung 15mp camera has a creator, and the 574 mp human eye arose by accident? undecided I'm not interested in the desperation of people who disbelieve in God, neither am i interested in the opinions of people who disbelieve in santa claus.

You do not believe in God, fine. You do not need to encourage me not to believe in God with you.

My bro that is called insanity.Lol......
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by blueAgent(m): 4:38am On Jun 27, 2016
CAPSLOCKED:

SOMETIMES, CHRISTIANS CAN BE ANNOYINGLY BLOCKHEADED.

A MAN'S ONLY SON DIES, HE CALLS IT THE WILL OF GOD.

THE BREADWINNER TO A FAMILY OF 13 DIES, THEY SAY ITS GODS PLAN.

A CULTIST IS KILLED BY A RIVAL TEAM, THEY SAY ITS GODS TIME.

YOU'RE 45 AND STILL BARREN, YOU WERE MARRIED AS A VIRGIN AND REALLY PRAYERFUL... THEY SAY WAIT FOR GOD'S TIME, AFTERALL GODS TIME IS THE BEST.
MEANWHILE SINGLE GIRLS THAT TWERK ALL OVER THE CLUBS IN LAGOS STATE GIVE BIRTH WHENEVER THEY WANT.

A BOY IS BORN WITHOUT AN ANUS, BORN BLIND OR WITHOUT LIMBS.. INTO A VERY POOR FAMILY. CHRISTIANS SAY ITS GODS DESIGN.
HOW IS IT GODS DESIGN THAT A PERSON IS BORN WITH VITAL BODY PARTS MISSING?
HOW WILL THE POOR FAMILY GET MONEY TO FUND HIS MEDICAL SERVICES ABROAD?
FUNNY ENOUGH YOU'LL HARDLY SEE THE GOOD PEOPLE OF GOD DONATING TO THAT. THEY'LL RATHER SPEND THEIR MONEY ON BEER AND PORK, IGNORING IT'S FORBIDDEN IN THE BIBLE.

THE BAD PEOPLE IN THE SOCIETY WORKING ENDLESSLY TO SEE THAT GODS PEOPLE SUFFER, GOD DOESN'T TAKE THEIR LIVES.. THEY LIVE VERY LONG. CRISTIANS CALL IT GODS WILL, THAT GOD WANTS TO SEE IF THEY'LL REPENT.

IF A CHRISTIAN IS POOR AND WRETCHED AND STARVING, HE'LL SAY ITS GOD'S PLAN.
IF A RICH MAN DRIVES BY AND DROPS HIM A NOTE OF 200NAIRA, HE'LL SAY GOD GAVE HIM 200 NAIRA THRU THE RICH MAN.
IF HE MISPLACES THE MONEY DUE TO HIS OWN CARELESSNESS, HE DOESN'T BLAME IT ON GOD THIS TIME.... HE BLAMES THE DEVIL FOR STEALING HIS MONEY. HAHA.

A PERSON SURVIVES AN ACCIDENT. WITH TERRIBLE INJURIES ALLOVER.
HE STILL THANKS GOD FOR SAVING HIM.
LOL, YOU DON'T THINK IF HE WAS REALLY INTERESTED IN YOUR SAFETY HE WOULDN'T HAVE LET YOU CRASH IN THE FIRST PLACE?

ONE TIME I WAS VERY SICK.. MY SIS STARTED TO COMPARE ME WITH JOB IN THE BIBLE. THAT I SHOULD FACE GOD, THAT MY BEING SICK IS BECAUSE I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD.
HAHA... PEOPLE DIE IN THE CHURCH EVERY TIME. IF THEY DON'T WANNA DIE BOKO HARAM WILL GO THERE AND BOMB THEM ALL.. WHILE GOD SITS IN HEAVEN WATCHING IN 3D WHILE DRINKING BEER.

BLESS THE DAY I DENOUNCED RELIGION. I RATHER WORSHIP MY BALLS THAN ANY GOD.
AT LEAST, THEY'VE BEEN USEFUL IN THE PAST 6 YEARS.
I'LL BE 24 SOON BUT SOON HAVEN'T FOUND RELIGION USEFUL.

MY BALLS OVER RELIGION MEHN.... cheesy

Idiot i have never seen you blame Evolution or nature for all the things you mentioned. so you only believe in God , when you want to apportion blame?
God is not responsible for the world's problems, Man decided to disobey God.so it is imperative for God to let man learn from his mistakes.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by blueAgent(m): 4:57am On Jun 27, 2016
Antiparticle:
To anyone reading this thread and wants to understand why winner01's argument that "religious minds have been more productive than atheistic minds" is a weak & fallacious point, here it goes:

Religion was psychologically soothing when humans had little knowledge about the mechanisms behind the workings of nature, and as a result most humans historically were religious. Scientists, mad men, murderers, good people, bad people, etc in Western Europe were almost all associated with the church because they either truly believed in the Christian god or they were culturally Christian.

Back in those days, I probably too would have been Christian because we (humanity) didn't at the time have enough information and freedom to debunk the Bible's claims. Now we know that Adam and Eve are invented stories (see evolution). Now we know that the resurrection story, virgin birth, miracle claims, and more are complete bullshiit. We now know that nature fundamentally is well ordered and can be rationally described mathematically. This is why a much smaller fraction of scientists today are Christian than four centuries ago.

As a matter of fact most of western Europe today is majority unreligious! A majority! Also, a large fraction of Silicon Valley engineers and innovators are straight up atheists. Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook) is atheist. Sergey Brin (Google) is not religious. Bill Gates (Microsoft) is not religious. Our own Seun Osewa (Nairaland) is atheist. As a matter of fact, according to the Pew Research Center, a much smaller fraction of American scientists believe in god/gods compared to the general public! The Pew Research Center is a credible polling organization, as opposed to the random cherry-picked Facebook posts that @winner01 keeps copy and pasting. I am a physicist/engineer and I live in a western country, and it is the rare exception to meet a religious person at the researcher level in the pure sciences (such as physics, evolutionary biology, etc).

The more scientifically advanced a country becomes, the less theistic it becomes. This is why the west has gotten more irreligious over the past century. This is inarguable fact. @winner01's correlations about the religion of medieval age scientists is just what it is, correlation without causality. I can come up with outrageous correlations associating religious people to mass murder (and there's a whole lot of proof for this), hypocrisy, and obstructionism towards science but there's no point doing this. What matters is that his religion is false and he can't defend it so he has to resort to ad hominem attacks and weak correlational arguments.

@winner01 says I should tell everyone why I need people to not believe in God, well he is Exhibit A for the damaging effects of religion. Religion makes it difficult to distinguish fantasy from reality. Religion dulls rational thinking. Certain Christian ideologies promote discrimination and hate (e.g. homophobia towards gay people, racism towards arabs, prejudice against people of other religions, slavery, etc). Christianity causes people to waste their time on ineffective activities (praying & fasting, sowing seed offerings which is a total scam, wasting intellectual capital twisting science to fit the Bible, etc). @winner01 is probably an otherwise talented individual, but with Christianity he has to expend intellectual capital twisting reality to fit the fantasy of the Bible.

In short, theism is an anachronism that is past its expiry date. That scientists today are significantly less religious (given that we now know a lot more about the universe) than they were in the archaic Middle Ages shows the fatal flaw in @winner01's logic and arguments.

Clown. I laugh at your ingnorance .fool
You think the Bronze age people were religeous and hence uncivilized?

The same people who built Pyramaids, or the Roman empire that built the colosseum

All the past empires were highly religeous. the Europe and US you refer to .wikipedia tells me over 80% of their population identify as religeous.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by blueAgent(m): 5:02am On Jun 27, 2016
mmsen:

The Republic by Plato deals with 'forms of good'.

Aristotle dealt with what it means to be 'good'.

Aesop's Fables are a collection of tales with moral maxims, they predate the Jesus myth by at least 500 years.

Those authors based their theories on ideas that were already around at the time - several hundred years prior to the myth of Christ.

The Zororastrians also dealt with the matter of 'good' and 'evil' in their primary religious text - the Avesta, a book that is dated several hundred years prior to the earliest books of the Bible.

In the 20th century we had authors such as Betrand Russell who dwelt on the matter, amongst many others. I'm sure that you if you look in a book store or decent library you will find sufficient texts on philosophy that tackle the topic with far greater finesse and depth than the Bible.

I suggest that you broaden your reading, the Bible is far from the only or even the oldest text to raise the matter of morality. There were several before it and many after it. Most of the religions that came before Judaism and Christianity dealt with the matter in a non-linear, non-simplified manner.

Most of mankind's fables and fairy-tales deal with philosophical issues, the Bible is simply a continuation of that tradition. Sadly, some people have chosen to take children's tales literally.

Clown .Bible a fairy-tale? a book that stated that the Earth was hanged in the Universe on nothing. thousands of years before your so called science could put man in Space.

Job26:7

He stretcheth out the north over the empty place,
and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by blueAgent(m): 5:09am On Jun 27, 2016
winner01:
This is a baseless claim that holds no water. Religion was to many people in the olden days just as it is now. In this era when humans had little knowledge about the workings of nature, there were several people who did not believe in God. This idea of yours is a nothing but a desperate attempt to disprove the effects of christianity in the rise of science.

The information which has "liberated" you now, who are those that espoused much of them? undecided
And who are the we that know that Adam and Eve are invented stories? undecided. What is the proof of macro-evolution? undecided Why are the important fossils that can take macro-evolution beyond reasonable doubt missing in all the important places? undecided
Who are those that described nature? undecided And why have the "scientists of today" not been able to establish equivalent feats acheived by the greatest scientists of old?

Western Europe owes its rise in power to christianity, even though some rebellious folks may try to hijack the glories acheived by their founding fathers.
Mark zuckerberg: Is an atheist but unlike you, he does not spend his life encouraging people not to believe in God, same goes with Sergey Brin.
Bill gates: Irreligiousity is not the same as atheism. In fact Bill gates admitted how sensible it is to believe in God. (source)
Seun osewa: At least, he spends his time to further his cause in his own way.

I dont know whether you want to make this about wealth but 56.2 percent of the worlds billionaires, identify themselves as Christians when asked about their faith (nonpartisan wealth research, 2015)

Antiparticle has resorted to lies as on the same link he posted, 51.8% scientists believe in God or higher powers. People can check the link by themselves HERE.

Some Scientists have admitted to feigning atheism to gain scientific recognition. I gave examples in the link to causes of atheism which i posted earlier.

You have subtly shifted the goal post from atheism to irreligiousity. Irreligious countries are not atheist countries. You need to make up your mind instead of clinging on to science or irreligiousity to validate your claims. Countries that are also ruled by atheists today can be observed. North korea is a good example of what atheism can do to a country and its people.

Of course you can come up with proof associating religious people and mass murder. But you certainly cannot come up with proof associating religious people to mass murders of atheistic magnitude. The historical record of collective atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst and most infamous misdeed, the Spanish Inquisition. The average atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them. I have proved that in the links i posted. People can check out my threads too.

Those who are interested in how atheism has suppressed science can click HERE

You can not incite me to try to discuss my religion with you no matter what you type. I'm past all that. I know better than wasting my time on people who have closed their minds and feel they have a monopoly of reasoning.

No proof whatsoever. Actually, the opposite is true. The fact that atheists repeat these lines everyday does not make it true. Today, we build on the products of religious minds. You need people not to believe in God with you because you are unsure of your stand and insecure. Only unbalanced individuals spend each day of their lives talking about "someone" that does not exist. There are studies that confirm the correlation between religion and mental health.

The prestigious Mayo Clinic found that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better physical health and mental health outcomes

Religion has "enormous potential for lowering the risk of substance abuse among teens and adults," according to the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse

Christianity put smiles on peoples faces, I wont repeat myself, I've made this clear in my previous replies. Christ-ians are people who strive to be like christ. Whatsoever you claim christians do, can be judged from their standard, which is Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ taught love, not to christians alone, but to everyone.
Atheism on the other hand has done absolutely nothing for the human race, except maybe democide.

They waste their time praying and still come out to be far more productive than atheists undecided. Millions of people all over the world see the results of praying and fasting. We sow seeds into the lives of people and also to proclaim the Gospel of Christ. If you have problems with these, them i'm sorry, you will keep crying for longer than you expected.

You can resort to ad hominems, Its what you do when your stand is shattered.

If theism is past its expiry date, you wont work yourself up so hard to fight it. . Its funny Voltaire said the same of christianity in 1778. 50 years after his death, the Geneva Bible Society used his house and printing press to produce stacks of Bibles.
Hundreds of years later, christianity is still stronger than ever.

Voltaire said the same of christianity in 1778. 50
years after his death, the Geneva Bible Society
used his house and printing press to produce
stacks of Bibles.
Hundreds of years later, christianity is still
stronger than ever.

I love this point. the fool's house was used as a printing press for Bible.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by blueAgent(m): 5:11am On Jun 27, 2016
Antiparticle:
One of the oldest homo sapiens fossils is 160,000 years old, much older than the supposed ~6,000 years old that the Bible claims! This clearly debunks the Adam and Eve story. There are several other genetic and archaeological findings that have excavated other homo sapiens fossils that are within the 100,000 to 200,000 years old range.

You suggest that scientists have not been able to establish equivalent feats achieved by the greatest scientists of old! I'm about to laugh. What are you typing with? How are you communicating with me? Do you realize that there's more to know about the universe than we currently know? And do you realize that science has advanced significantly since the Middle Ages? Space travel, quantum mechanics, vaccines, antibiotics, and the like are incredible innovations that have vastly changed our quality of life.

In any case, you still keep making these indefensible correlational arguments.

Please pick up the book "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. Read up on history. This is another false correlational argument.

I won't toot my own horn here, I'll leave it at that.

Wealth can also be achieved through scamming poor people, manipulating capital markets, and more! This is another indefensible correlational argument.

Intellectual dishonesty 101. I wrote that " a much smaller fraction of American scientists believe in god/gods compared to the general public!", you will see that ten times more American scientists don't believe in god/gods or a higher power vs the general public (41% to 4%). Also, you conveniently lump all religions or claims of believing in a higher power together when you want to make arguments for Christianity. This is classically disingenuous and dishonest. If you were debating a Zeus worshipper you would be arguing that he/she worshiping a false deity, yet in this debate you would dishonestly lump him/her into the same camp as you. You can't point out arbitrary correlations and use them to make indefensible arguments.

Ok, you really think anyone will take your points seriously after reading this?

Correlation does not imply causation. Also, your data is cherry-picked and is purely correlational. I can do the same for all religions but nah!

You really think this is a credible website? This website (conservapedia) by the same Christian fundamentalists who fight against the teaching of the science of evolution in schools? The same Christian fundamentalists who attempt to teach the Genesis creation story as facts? You really don't expect me to take this seriously.

Ok. Good for you. Stick with your correlational arguments.

Correlation does not imply causation. Also, stop lumping all other religions together. If your religion is true, then defend it.

The website you lifted these images from is conservapedia again, a discredited source. Correlation does not imply causation.

You can't invent your own "facts". Give the readers just one single example of how prayer and fasting has solved a real human problem like regrowth of an amputated limb. The readers are waiting.

Evolution is a scam.

Man came from Ape. yet we still have Apes
why have they not transformed to man?
Fishes came from birds. how logical are this
claims? since we know each animal is well
designed to fit into their Habitant.so where
did the scales,fins,gills come from?how long
does Evolution take for it to occur? millions
of years i guess. but Since we know that the
oldest Man or animal cannot live pass 150
yrs. so when did your Evolmadness occur?
when the organisms are dead? idiots like the
one am quoting will believe all this lies.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by blueAgent(m): 5:13am On Jun 27, 2016
otemanuduno:

IMO, I think the atheists are not actually saying that there is no possibility of God's existence, but rather, all the so-called gods are not the GOD OF THE UNIVERSE. That's why you see atheists requesting for clear evidence of a true GOD(not gods).

I have an answer for all atheists, THERE IS GOD WHO CREATED THE UNIVERSE WITH A BIG BANG. HE CREATED THE FIRST HOMOS WHOM PEOPLE NOW KNOW AS Gods(e.g Vishnu, Jehovah(Allah), Odin, Olorun, Oghene, Jupiter, Mercury, etc.)

THE NAME OF THE GOD WHO CREATED THE UNIVERSE WITH A BIG BANG IS 'LORD'. HE HAS NO PERSONAL NAME, BUT FOR DIFFERENTIATION SAKE, I AM BEING INSTRUCTED TO USE 'DOMINO REVERAD'.

our God does not require WORSHIP FROM ANYONE. HE DOES NOT KILL. HE HAS COMMITTED THE AFFAIRS OF ALL HIS STARS AND PLANETS TO NATURE AND NATURE IS WHAT GIVES MIRACLES, HEALINGS, ETC.

that's why no matter the religion you put yourself in, when the time comes for nature to MANIFEST, IT MANIFESTS AND NO ONE CAN STOP IT.

dead people has risen by the power of NATURE. Mad people has been restored by the power of nature. I AM A TESTIMONY OF HOW NATURE BRINGS ABOUT GREAT CHANGE IN MY LIFE AFTER WALKING OUT OF THE RELIGION OF BONDAGE(CHRISTIANITY) MADE BY jehovah/jesus, one of the first sets of HOMOS created by DOMINO REVERAD OUR GOD in the periods of the NEANDERTHALS and HOMINIDS.

Another clown
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by otemanuduno: 6:23am On Jun 27, 2016
blueAgent:

Another clown

In your own opinion, right!
Proof that I'm a clown or adonbilivit.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by Antiparticle(m): 7:25am On Jun 27, 2016
Why can't you make your point without calling me an idiot? I taya for you o. Do you really claim to follow Jesus? And you are going to heaven? Smh.

I won't respond to your arguments against evolution because evolution is fact.
blueAgent:
Evolution is a scam.

Man came from Ape. yet we still have Apes
why have they not transformed to man?
Fishes came from birds. how logical are this
claims? since we know each animal is well
designed to fit into their Habitant.so where
did the scales,fins,gills come from?how long
does Evolution take for it to occur? millions
of years i guess. but Since we know that the
oldest Man or animal cannot live pass 150
yrs. so when did your Evolmadness occur?
when the organisms are dead? idiots like the
one am quoting will believe all this lies.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by blueAgent(m): 10:21am On Jun 27, 2016
Antiparticle:
Why can't you make your point without calling me an idiot? I taya for you o. Do you really claim to follow Jesus? And you are going to heaven? Smh.

I won't respond to your arguments against evolution because evolution is fact.

Sorry ,but that was the only adjective to qualify your post.
You have no facts about Evolution.just accept it.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by blueAgent(m): 10:22am On Jun 27, 2016
otemanuduno:

In your own opinion, right! Proof that I'm a clown or adonbilivit.
You need proof? look at your post.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by otemanuduno: 10:25am On Jun 27, 2016
blueAgent:

You need proof? look at your post.

Okay, I have done so. So what's the proof?
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by blueAgent(m): 10:29am On Jun 27, 2016
otemanuduno:

Okay, I have done so. So what's the proof?

You wrote rubbish.God did not use evolution to create anything.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by kumulus(m): 5:02pm On Jun 27, 2016
When you know the truth, indeed you're free.

*In all your getting, get knowledge.
Re: Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism by CAPSLOCKED: 11:16pm On Jun 27, 2016
LoJ:

It is my pleasure to (virtually) meet you.

THANK YOU.
WAS AWAY FOR SOME BORING TIME, HAD TO SERVE MY BAN LIKE THE NYSC!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Imagine If God Talks To People As Claimed. Challenge To Christians / Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional 2020 / Who's Your Favourite Bible Character?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 182
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.