Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,682 members, 7,955,523 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:18 AM

Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank (44375 Views)

Woman Loses Husband, 3 Kids And 5 Relatives In Boat Accident In US. Pics / I Am Turning Into A Tenant In My Husband's House / Man Curses Out Families Who Squander Money Sent Home By Relatives Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by Nobody: 12:45am On Jun 28, 2016
An 11 YEAR OLD GIRL did all that? Is she possessed?, 'cos I am sceptical about your narration.

1 Like

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by ligopedro: 12:54am On Jun 28, 2016
RichYoungNigger:

We don't fuccking care about you and your husband.
You want everyone to know you live abroad ?? Well 85% of Nairaland members Lives in the USA, we're not moved by the mention of dollars or abroad.
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by kobonaire(m): 12:56am On Jun 28, 2016
Chai - poor OP don inherit a child with clear behavioral issues!

1 Like

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by OPCNAIRALAND: 12:58am On Jun 28, 2016
MarryMeee:
I have been with my husband for a while now and I can say we have been doing well for ourselves. But i have a problem with some relatives that are turning us into their atm machine. My husband has an uncle who has always had other people taking care of his children (5children from 3 different women) for him whilst he goes out to enjoy himself without a care in the world.

Last year my in laws asked us to take in one of his daughters so she could go to school in the city. I was hesitant at first since i did not know much about her or the father, but eventually I warmed up to the idea. Fast forward 6months later, I am sick and tired of it. She does not do her homework without being forced and sometimes she skips school. I have already been called 3times by her teacher making complaints about her attitude in class and her perfomance. If you do not dig for her homework from her bag she will not do it. This girl is already 11 and she is only in grade 4 and she bed-wets.

I do not usually resort to beating a child because I have told myself that should be the last resort, but at the same time I am tired of buying things for her because she is always destroying them. She will wear her best clothes to go play with mud outside and she has turned her school shoes in slippers. She is always losing her stationery and she has torn 2 of her school uniforms already. She once broke the toilet and we had to get a new (not toilet seat, i mean the actual damn toilet) and she broke the plasma in the living room barely 5months after we got it.

As if she is not a big enough headache, her father always finds himself in my house almost every month and he will not leave until you compensate him for coming to your house uninvited. Of course he will expect you to give him money and groceries to take home.

Everything has been frustrating my husband as well and he is considering taking the girl back to her father's house as soon as schools closes and to be honest i really do not have a problem with that, but my issue is that his family is against the idea because its not a christian thing to do (1Timothy 5v8)

To those who have been in the same situation, how did you resolve it amicably and where did you draw the line?

Can you kindly change your handle to Married instead of Marrymee.

On the issue of your ward, I have no input.
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by Nobody: 1:05am On Jun 28, 2016
@op, having relatives live wt a couple is never a good idea. There are different expectations from d adults & different expectations from d children. The adults expect someone to help & not add any headache to their life since they're helping financially, d children are expecting love & attention they normally get when they visit. Well, living wt someone is not d same as visiting.

The best solution to all these family issues is never to bring them in, in d 1st place. I'm not talking about adults dt are just staying wt u to find their feet for a while o. But children. It never ends well. Once u start, d child & their family already start feeling entitled. The best help is to provide at arms length. Give monthly allowance & help wt school fees. I have seen this situation in several families. Dt child will grow up & never love u because her expectations of u will NEVER be met. Children crave love & care & are extremely sensitive abt d littlest thing, in a way dt adults are not. You could never have treated her like ur daughter, no matter how nice u are. Neither could ur husband ever treat ur small relative as his daughter. But a little child living wt u expects dt, so will constantly be dissappointed.

1 Like

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by heavybullets(f): 1:19am On Jun 28, 2016
For the sake of the girl's future, please learn to give corrective measures for wrong behavior and tell her the implication of ending up in a wrong place. You shouldn't force yourself to harbor a child who refuse to take correction. Start with corporal punishment then strokes of the cane, she will learn to adjust by force. if your in-laws don't want you beating her then they should train her themselves!

2 Likes

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by sweetilicious(f): 1:25am On Jun 28, 2016
dfrost:

God bless you for this post. Wish I could give you a hug and a glass of chilled smoothie for this comment.

OP just help her please. A lot of people especially young ones need love and attention nowadays. Don't worry about her folks attitude and don't be sentimental about raising her.

Just pray to God for the needed strength unless you never wanted our advice in the first place.

Ciao.
I just had to make use of my brain and be human enough.
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by Jeffy1206(m): 1:26am On Jun 28, 2016
The girl might be possessed by an evil spirit... Take my word for it. Send her back and do a home deliverance before... Speaking from experience tho.
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by InvertedHammer: 2:03am On Jun 28, 2016
MarryMeee:
I have been with my husband for a while now and I can say we have been doing well for ourselves. But i have a problem with some relatives that are turning us into their atm machine. My husband has an uncle who has always had other people taking care of his children (5children from 3 different women) for him whilst he goes out to enjoy himself without a care in the world.

Last year my in laws asked us to take in one of his daughters so she could go to school in the city. I was hesitant at first since i did not know much about her or the father, but eventually I warmed up to the idea. Fast forward 6months later, I am sick and tired of it. She does not do her homework without being forced and sometimes she skips school. I have already been called 3times by her teacher making complaints about her attitude in class and her perfomance. If you do not dig for her homework from her bag she will not do it. This girl is already 11 and she is only in grade 4 and she bed-wets.

I do not usually resort to beating a child because I have told myself that should be the last resort, but at the same time I am tired of buying things for her because she is always destroying them. She will wear her best clothes to go play with mud outside and she has turned her school shoes in slippers. She is always losing her stationery and she has torn 2 of her school uniforms already. She once broke the toilet and we had to get a new (not toilet seat, i mean the actual damn toilet) and she broke the plasma in the living room barely 5months after we got it.

As if she is not a big enough headache, her father always finds himself in my house almost every month and he will not leave until you compensate him for coming to your house uninvited. Of course he will expect you to give him money and groceries to take home.

Everything has been frustrating my husband as well and he is considering taking the girl back to her father's house as soon as schools closes and to be honest i really do not have a problem with that, but my issue is that his family is against the idea because its not a christian thing to do (1Timothy 5v8)

To those who have been in the same situation, how did you resolve it amicably and where did you draw the line?

/
I got one thousand problems...
And relatives aint one.
\
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by babooshka: 2:28am On Jun 28, 2016
Seriously, we sometimes give ourselves unnecessary headaches. If u can't put up with it, send her back. D idea of her even living with u is uncalled for, it's not necessary, even if u want 2 support her thru school. U should send d financial needs home 2 her ppl, yl she lives with her parents. Send her back, and send money 2 her ppl 4 her regularly, and av ur peace.
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by mikolo80: 2:32am On Jun 28, 2016
MarryMeee:

discipline the child.
punish bad behaviour (make her hand wash her mud stained clothes and sew the tears )
reward good(ice cream when she makes it through a week without forming Spencer

tell parents to sign undertaking to pay for future damage

empty all the food in the house and eat out next time the leech visits

or call him out if you have the balls

1 Like

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by bakila: 2:38am On Jun 28, 2016
@@marrymee, cococandy, valprof, SamMilla. First marrymee's motto is "take me seriously at your own risk"
Cococandy if you are a relation of the husband you might not like the op's write up, you will be thinking of trying to give the girl a chance and will do give her one if she is your relation. The other guys I mentioned have a point but were harsh.
Marrymee, if you are serious do not think of giving that girl a bad name to hang her. You do not know how deep the relationship is between your husband and her father. Because you are in a flat today does not mean the girl may not be in a better position in the future.
@Lastpage you have a point.
Again if you send that girl away through the design you have outlined above or due to the girls behavior your husband may never forgive, if he owes that uncle anything on his way "up" to Marry you. If your relation replaces his own it might be worse.
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by teenagetalks(f): 2:54am On Jun 28, 2016
why are people always quick to say because one is not your sister or brother, that is why you want to send him or her packing.why do we bring sentiment into one's pains.I really know what the op is talking about because I have experience it first hand and the culprit was even my brother. l mean my parents went through hell and even we,his siblings. my brother will come back from school before any one else and consume almost every one food,he was very lazy,steal ur little change,spoil people things I mean he was very destructive. you all needed to see him being beaten by my parents,you will cry for him.but what happens the next minutes same story. infact,my parents had to sent to him go stay with our grandpa,a retired army man for more than 2yrs and he came back a better person. so op if you cannot cope send that child back to the parents and reserve your energy for your kids cos you will surely need it.haba,if you can breed children everywhere, then also bear the responsibility.

2 Likes

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by krak101(m): 3:20am On Jun 28, 2016
Get a dog and that man will never step fiot into your house again grin grin grin
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by Nobody: 3:24am On Jun 28, 2016
MarryMeee:
well i wasnt the one who brought up the verse. I just wanted to know how others have handled a similar situation so i can know on how to go about it the right way.

Send her home. Simple.

Its better than beating her before they say you killed someone's child.
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by Unionised(m): 3:26am On Jun 28, 2016
[quote author=MarryMeee post=46778066]I have been with my husband for a while now and I can say we have been doing well for ourselves. But i have a problem with some relatives that are turning us into their atm machine. My husband has an uncle who has always had other people taking care of his children (5children from 3 different women) for him whilst he goes out to enjoy himself without a care in the world.

To those who have been in the same situation, how did you resolve it amicably and where did you draw the line]

MINDSET OF A TYPICAL STEP-MOTHER

Unnecesary irritation.

Forget the father, You have no love for the daughter.

So send her back before you endanger her life.

Capisce?
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by crackhouse(m): 3:41am On Jun 28, 2016
@op, that girl is not ur daughter and that's why u always pick an offence at everything she does. you have succeeded in establishing the feelings that it's not ur responsibility to take care of her which is what is guiding u in ur sctions and u always nurture this feelings that her family are just there to liquidate ur husband but if ur husband is not complaining as much just forget it. it may even be that it was her father's father that train ur husband and u are here complaining. u just came into the family and u don't know How the family started or how they were living before they married u. it may Even be that ur husband is trying to return the favour they did to him in his own time and that's why he is taking it easy with them.

3 Likes

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by cole265(m): 4:15am On Jun 28, 2016
SamMilla1:
You are probably an evil woman.
Take that from me.
All those bunch of lies you told against this girl just to paint her black, would you say the same things if she was your sister?

I can easily tell that you are angry because she came from the husbands side. It's common with all evil women.

Change your ways when you still can, otherwise you will pour hot water or acid on her someday and end up in Prison.

She broke plasma, broke Toilet WC, really? That hard thing? How did she do that? With a sledgehammer or what?
What else did she do?
She broke her shoes, tore her school uniform.
Bed-wets, fights, never do anything such as assignment?

Why don't you just tell us you want her gone so you can bring your own sister?
I am way too intelligent to believe all the rubbish you said about this innocent girl.
Even Lucipher will find it very difficult to win a destruction contest with this 11 year old girl.

On top of that, her father comes for monthly salary in your place, of course with other incentives such as groceries etc.
Where is the mother in all this?
Do you really expect me to believe you?
No mention of one good thing from the girl, not even to fetch water or cook anything?

Your heart is black because I don't see why you were hesistant when your husband wanted to bring her. Do you know their family history?
Who trained your husband? What exactly are you bringing to the table?

You first of all painted the father of the girl with black paints as if you know anything about him.
Evil thing.

And all you people shouting send her home, do you really think this evil thing is telling you all the story?
Do you not believe that if this is a law court, the girl will have her chance to say her own version.
She never wanted her in the first place and she admitted it up there. She just wanted her own relatives to fill the house. It's common with evil women.

This is not about tribalism, but this op story and your outburst, are very typical of a nigerian tribe. Guess which?
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by markfoefish(m): 4:21am On Jun 28, 2016
pls send her back home,ooooo! I saw her father taking alomo last night send her to him pls!
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by Diamonddamsel: 4:25am On Jun 28, 2016
I can clearly understand the OP's issue cos I've been there at a point in time myself. My husband's half bro made my life difficult when he stayed with us.He never wants to assist with anything and wanted to be in control of the TV remote even with me the wife at home cos its his bros house.One day he broke my big tank cos I begged him to simply put d hose in it and check it on my way out so true some of these children can be very destructive.Thank God he came just for holidays. That was the last he was allowed to come over.Whatever we have we send to them.Pls send that child back and support them with whatever u can afford so u don't loose ur sanity.

2 Likes

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by Nyceguy92: 4:55am On Jun 28, 2016
[quote author=MarryMeee post=46778066]

There is nothing wrong in taking in and training a child of a relative, even non-relatives.
You and your husband seem capable of doing so.
Does she steal?

If the girl didn't have the problems you mentioned, I am sure you will find her very useful around the house.
Before you send her home, that is, if you decide to do so as some advise here, be sure to have made enough effort towards helping her condition.
That way, you have enough explanation for her parents.
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by Nyceguy92: 5:01am On Jun 28, 2016
[quote author=MarryMeee post=46778066]

There is nothing wrong in taking in and training a child of a relative, even non-relatives.
You and your husband seem capable of doing so.
Does she steal?

If the girl didn't have the problems you mentioned, I am sure you will find her very useful around the house.
Cut back on what you people spend on her father to near zero, if you want, since you take care of his daughter.

Before you send her home, that is, if you decide to do so as some advise here, be sure to have made enough effort towards helping her condition.
That way, you have enough explanation for her parents.
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by san316(m): 5:04am On Jun 28, 2016
My parents have done this many times and it never came out positive. It is either the children become a plague in the house and get sent back or they grow up and turn my parents into foes. We currently have one in our house n she's similar to what u r describing. The girl is very playful outside n annoyingly dull at home. Very stubborn as well. A girl from the village oo but she only eats rice, give her other food and she'll waste it.

My advise, if you want to help raise a child, do it from the father's house. Send money for school fees so that whatever becomes of the child, you will not be responsible. It's very difficult to successfully raise such kids. Verrrry difficult.

3 Likes

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by HaneefahRN(f): 5:54am On Jun 28, 2016
Dyt:
For all the years the little has learnt to live
She has been that way
OK
I am not in support of all you wrote that she does
But what if she happens to be your daughter?
Will you sit and watch her bedwet?
Watch her doing all the things she does?
Have you showed her with love and care?

Ok sorry I am not giving you what you wanna read
Bye

Her child is her responsibility not someone else child, especially not when the parents are alive, hale and healthy and gallivanting around, producing more children, if what OP said is true. The girl should be with her parents not another person's headache. I hate it when people try to shelf their responsibilities on others, that's what some people do, keep producing children they can't cater for and scatter them round with relatives.

7 Likes

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by cococandy(f): 5:59am On Jun 28, 2016
Keep my name off your fingers. You and lastpage or whatever he's called.
If you have advice give it to the OP and ignore my post.

P.S it cannot be me or my relation because we know better than to reproduce for others to take care of. We didn't come to to this life to be an inconvenience and burden to others and judge them when they don't accept our baggage smiling.

Yes if it was OP relation, her family won't sit and decide she should take the child in and then foist the decision on the husband. The child's father won't walk into her home at his convenience and expect OP and her husband to give him money. Yes the woman's relations will most likely not do that. It's usually the men's family in that retardedd society who believe they've done the woman a favor by marrying her that often behave in such high handed foolish ways. Like the wife shouldn't have a say about what happens in her own home.

If it did happen that it was OP's family behaving in this nasty way, none of you here will tell the man he's evil for not wanting to carry that burden.

bakila:
@@marrymee, cococandy, valprof, SamMilla. First marrymee's motto is "take me seriously at your own risk"
Cococandy if you are a relation of the husband you might not like the op's write up, you will be thinking of trying to give the girl a chance and will do give her one if she is your relation. The other guys I mentioned have a point but were harsh.
Marrymee, if you are serious do not think of giving that girl a bad name to hang her. You do not know how deep the relationship is between your husband and her father. Because you are in a flat today does not mean the girl may not be in a better position in the future.
@Lastpage you have a point.
Again if you send that girl away through the design you have outlined above or due to the girls behavior your husband may never forgive, if he owes that uncle anything on his way "up" to Marry you. If your relation replaces his own it might be worse.

2 Likes

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by thedarams: 6:27am On Jun 28, 2016
I was once in a similar situation. Pls note that that child is a victim of a problem she knew nothing about...parental irresponsibility. Helping her out might be God's divine arrangement and assignment for you. It might even be a divine test. Pls don't fail, don't falter and complain less unless to those that are really ready to help you out. Someone asked an important question; what if she were to be your own child? Pls seek counsel for her from Psychologist, Doctor and Man/Woman of God, because it might also have some spiritual undertone. Pls note, try and keep records or visual/audio evidence of all these in case it all fails, then based on your efforts, you would have your husband to call for a family meeting of those concerned, and lovingly discuss all the efforts and frustration. Definitely, one or two persons will offer advice or suggestions that will take any blame away from you, in case you still have to return her. God help you.

1 Like

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by ourleader(m): 6:27am On Jun 28, 2016
SamMilla1:
You are probably an evil woman.
Take that from me.
All those bunch of lies you told against this girl just to paint her black, would you say the same things if she was your sister?

I can easily tell that you are angry because she came from the husbands side. It's common with all evil women.

Change your ways when you still can, otherwise you will pour hot water or acid on her someday and end up in Prison.

She broke plasma, broke Toilet WC, really? That hard thing? How did she do that? With a sledgehammer or what?
What else did she do?
She broke her shoes, tore her school uniform.
Bed-wets, fights, never do anything such as assignment?

Why don't you just tell us you want her gone so you can bring your own sister?
I am way too intelligent to believe all the rubbish you said about this innocent girl.
Even Lucipher will find it very difficult to win a destruction contest with this 11 year old girl.

On top of that, her father comes for monthly salary in your place, of course with other incentives such as groceries etc.
Where is the mother in all this?
Do you really expect me to believe you?
No mention of one good thing from the girl, not even to fetch water or cook anything?

Your heart is black because I don't see why you were hesistant when your husband wanted to bring her. Do you know their family history?
Who trained your husband? What exactly are you bringing to the table?

You first of all painted the father of the girl with black paints as if you know anything about him.
Evil thing.

And all you people shouting send her home, do you really think this evil thing is telling you all the story?
Do you not believe that if this is a law court, the girl will have her chance to say her own version.
She never wanted her in the first place and she admitted it up there. She just wanted her own relatives to fill the house. It's common with evil women.

THIS MAN ARTICLE WORTH APPLYING, THIS IS REALLY TRUTH, MADAM THANKS TWICE! NO BODY KNOW TOMORROW
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by smileysmiley(f): 6:34am On Jun 28, 2016
MarryMeee:

op forget all this people saying "what if she was your child" cause that is total bullshit, there is a reason she is not your child... my mum is a philanthropist and she filled our home with kids of relatives while we were growing up, she took care of them like hers but when they grew up, they teamed up against her and almost put her in a state of bankruptcy... open your ears wide and listen carefully, bundle that girl up and return her to her parents this weekend, let them deal with their mess, they can like to take her to an orphanage or throw her away, its none of your business... stop trying to claim miss goody bag cause you were not the referee while they were f*cking like rabbits after all.... no matter how good you are to that kid, she will still grow up one day to know that you are not real mother and know that you bought a yellow dress for her and a pink dress for your own daughter cause you don't like her, it never works and it never will cause they'll always feel cheated.... if you need more convincing, you can pm me and I'll give you a breakdown gist of what my cousin's did to my mum for being miss goody bag, it wasn't funny at all, I caught the other one putting saliva inside my mum's food sef, they almost ruined my kid sister's life, after everything they left to continue wandering in the village, one became pregnant barely six months after she left our home, now she sells recharge card by the roadside, these were kids my mum was paying close to 100k every term for them as tuition in a private school... the school me sef attended did not pay up to that cause we were not buoyant enough then, now every investment in them is a waste.
moral of the story: cleaning a pig up doesn't mean it'll never return to its dirt.
a word they say is enough for the wise, I want to believe you don't have kids of yours yet, channel your energy into creating a family for your husband... don't make anyone make you feel like a wicked person for making this decision cause this is the time to selfishly invest all you have in your husband and kids, you can always visit them once in a blue moon and take any spare thing to them... have a good lif

7 Likes

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by Nobody: 6:35am On Jun 28, 2016
I am not married,but from what have seen in my young life, I can only say her problem is more psychological, unfortunately we don't do much of therapy here in naija,it's only seen for crazy people . A child that still bed wets at that age maybe a sign that she has been molested or even still being molested, and of course it's bound to affect other aspects of her life. Maybe you can start from there to get through to her.what she needs is someone who will show they care and not judgemental to get her talking.As far the issue of your inlaws are concerned you need to thread carefully, as whatever action your husband takes will be seen as being influenced by you,"never start what you can't finish", you started already, stopping midway now will only bring conflict between you and your inlaws
Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by AfroKnight: 6:39am On Jun 28, 2016
Valprof:
u r weak then

Re: Relatives Turning Us Into Their World Bank by Blackrhino: 6:41am On Jun 28, 2016
It's funny how people still get black mailed through religion, some saying the woman is evil, evil is a relative term , Even the god in the bible was evil by today's standards, he supported slavery, inequality, genocide by telling his so called people to kill others and take over their land, if this is not evil then what is, send that girl to her father and take care of ur own home, tell the relatives to go and kill themselves if they don't like, will they do the same for you ? Instead they are quoting bible passages, Nigga please

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I'm Struggling With Love In My Marriage / Man Recounts How Wife He Married A Virgin Slept With 15 Guys After Their Wedding / After 5 Years The Prophesy Of Her Real Man Has Come To Pass, "But She Is Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.