Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ (17830 Views)

The Reason For The Resurrection - Joseph Prince / 10 Reasons To Accept The Resurrection Of Jesus As An Historical Fact / Why Is The Sunday Before The Resurrection Of Christ Called Palm Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by KingEbukaNaija: 8:06pm On Jun 27, 2016
ikombe:
Are you saying God had no purpose for us . That he gave only the white people the brain to build schools and other health facilities. Mind you before the white people came we have been treating our selfs traditionaly which has and will still be 1 of the most effective way of threating illness. The same people who brought dis things to you is telling you a gay has right and even d pope is telling christians to apologise to the gays. Are you saying God promotes gay . 50% of there ungodly teachings is what they are promoting now undecided .

Oh dear !

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by KingEbukaNaija: 8:08pm On Jun 27, 2016
khaynoni:

Don't let's derail boy, focus on the topic at hand.

Haha ... another craven atheist who stirs up a fight and then gives up halfway
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by malvisguy212: 8:10pm On Jun 27, 2016
khaynoni:
They will rather insult and call you names than refute it. Sometimes I wonder why some people deliberately turn blind eyes to the truth when it's staring right at them.

what is the truth ? Do you know the truth ? Have you search for the truth ,if truly God does not exist ? Or do you take everything science provide as the final truth ? I know their is God, this I know, with 100 percent.
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by khaynoni(m): 8:11pm On Jun 27, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Haha ... another craven atheist who stirs up a fight and then gives up halfway

Clap for yourself, you just won yourself a gold medal. Now can you please address the topic raised. Thank you
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by GreatOlu1: 8:28pm On Jun 27, 2016
Seun:

No pestilence has struck down Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, and the many other successful unbelievers in the world, so don't hold your breath. The closest thing to a pestilence in my life actually started when I was a very sincere and devout Christian.

I'm pleased that nobody has disputed my actual arguments. I guess I am right.
Egbon seun, Bill gate is not an atheist o,
that's defamation... I should ban u sef.

1 Like

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by virginboy1(m): 8:31pm On Jun 27, 2016
Paradox hovering all over the thread. .
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by SirDavico(m): 8:34pm On Jun 27, 2016
Seun:
Please let us stick to the topic or we will be banned. Rule 1 says, "don't derail threads by posting off topic." Thank you.

We You mean N'Landers minus You grin

Who dares ban a whole oga seun himself? sad Even Mynd44 no dare grin

4 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by SirDavico(m): 8:35pm On Jun 27, 2016
Seun:
I guess nobody wants to shed more light on the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus Christ, which is what this thread about. Not atheism.

[b]

This might help.

...I'm sure you've heard of the various theories used to explain away the empty tomb, such as that the body was stolen. But those theories are laughed at today by all serious scholars. In fact, they have been considered dead and refuted for almost a hundred years. For example, the Jews or Romans had no motive to steal the body--they wanted to suppress Christianity, not encourage it by providing it with an empty tomb. The disciples would have had no motive, either. Because of their preaching on the resurrection, they were beaten, killed, and persecuted. Why would they go through all of this for a deliberate lie? No serious scholars hold to any of these theories today. What explanation, then, do the critics offer, you may ask? Craig tells us that "they are self-confessedly without any explanation to offer. There is simply no plausible natural explanation today to account for Jesus' tomb being empty.
If we deny the resurrection of Jesus, we are left with an inexplicable mystery." The resurrection of Jesus is not just the best explanation for the empty tomb, it is the only explanation in town! [/b]

Read more here: http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/historical-evidence-for-the-resurrection

1 Like

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by khaynoni(m): 8:36pm On Jun 27, 2016
malvisguy212:
what is the truth ? Do you know the truth ? Have you search for the truth ,if truly God does not exist ? Or do you take everything science provide as the final truth ? I know their is God, this I know, with 100 percent.

I usually smile when I see stuffs like this. In case you've forgotten, atheists were once theists so talking about search for god isn't new to me. I've been in your shoes before and I know how it feels (nothing but delusion).
Abeg no let me chop ban grin
Focus! Address the contradictory passages he quoted from your so called holy book.
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by byteHead(m): 8:39pm On Jun 27, 2016
malvisguy212:
please, stay mute if you don't have anything to say, we are dealing with first hand witnesses, not just a religious people.

Religious people.....when it is obvious that the truth contradicts your personal beliefs, you call it illogical and not sensible...

In this age of information, ignorance is a choice.

2 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by ikombe: 8:53pm On Jun 27, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Oh dear !
lol. Funny meme
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Rilwayne001: 9:33pm On Jun 27, 2016
malvisguy212:
can you put your view concerning islam ? Have you ever create a thread about islam ? You are free to question christians, but I found this post as bias. Are you afraid of the muslims ? Why did you give them separate section ? And on top of that, before someone post on islam section, he must renounce his faith ? This is clear evidence, you are afraid of the muslim.

Shut up! angry

Why don't you just check his threads instead of spitting rubbish here?

6 Likes

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by babysmart(f): 9:45pm On Jun 27, 2016
Honestly, anything could have happened to the body. My major issue is the Ascension. Was it only the disciples that met him at Galilee? Are there any non disciples that saw Jesus after the so called resurrection?

BTW...To those insinuating that seun has been attacking Christians alone because he's scared of muslims...He was once a Christian and not a Muslim. Obviously he knows a lot about the religion he left. He has done his own research and is clearly trying to open everyone's eyes using his forum.

If you haven't noticed Christianity has a great deal of loopholes and yet it's only Christians that you'll see evangelising up and down. It would be a lot more sensible if Christians search for evidence to back their claims rather than calling seun an antichrist. Seriously? Is that all you guys have to say?

Lastly...he was named Oluwaseun by his parents. Surely you don't expect him to change his name because he is now an atheist.

Hope I didn't derail sha. I really like what you're doing seun. It has been somewhat educating. When I tell people I'm a free thinker, they gimme this really weird look and say, 'How can a girl be a free thinker? '

Maybe I'll graduate to atheist level very soon. cheesy
I would really like to read your materials. Could you help with some sites or something?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Seun(m): 9:50pm On Jun 27, 2016
malvisguy212:
address my first post, will the disciples ready to die for something that is lie?
There are so many possible answers to that question:
1) People often risk their lives for lies. Someone who lied for a long time might rather risk death than allow the truth to destroy his life's work.
2) When death came, they may not have been given the option of telling the truth in exchange for their lives. They may have had no choice.
3) It is possible that a third party was responsible for the missing body and the disciples only saw Jesus in visions rather than bodily. Then over time the stories of their spiritual (imaginary) encounters with Jesus might have been spiced up dramatically by people trying to prove that Jesus rose physically from the dead. In this case, if they were in fact martyred, they would have chosen to die for what they thought was the truth but was only in their minds. In the time of Paul there were Christians called "gnostics" who believed that the resurrection was only spiritual.
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Rilwayne001: 9:51pm On Jun 27, 2016
malvisguy212:
you fail woefully, first, the resurrection was preach in the SAME city were jesus was buried, will the disciples preach the resurrection if the body is still in the tomb ? Will the disciples DIED for false report ? If the disciples wanted to lie, they wouldn't have preach the resurrection account on the same city.

That's your opinion, and like Seun said, "Jesus closest followers had everything to lose by his death, and everything to gain by getting people to believe the resurrection story. They had sold all their posessions and left their families and professions to join Jesus' ministry. With his death, that ministry was finished, but the ressurection story brought it back to life. Knowing about this serious conflict of interest, it reasonable to accept their testimony as evidence that the resurrection actually happened?"

Secondly, the jews claim the disciples stole the body, this means, the jews admit, the tomb was empty. Now, why will the religious leader claim the body of christ was stolen ? will the disciples able to defect some well train romans army to steal the body of christ ? In fact, the romans army NEVER claim jesus body was stolen, it was the religious leader make the claim of the stolen body, we all know how jesus condemn the act of the same religious leaders, jesus never had a good time with them when he was alive, so you don't expect them to believe His message or resurrection.

[b] We all know this account was according to Matthew and we know what Matthew was trying to do here. This is a ploy to start the so-called "rumour" that Christian's have found useful ever since – the "stolen body" straw man which you are trying to use here:Matthew 28.11-15 " While the women were on their way,some of the guards went into the city and reported to the chief priests everything that had happened. When the chief priests had met with the elders and DEVISED A PLAN, they gave the soldiers a large sum of money, telling them, "You are to say, 'His disciples came during the night and stole him away [size=13pt] WHILE WE WERE ASLEEP [/size] .' If this report gets to the governor, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble." So the soldiers took the money and did as they were instructed. And this story has been widely circulated among the Jews to this very day ." –

This^ entire episode is directed at the objection that if the body wasn't in the tomb then an obvious explanation would be that somebody had removed it. The guards and the "sealing of the sepulchre" are intended to silence this objection.

Why did the guards have to be made "as dead men"? Surely extra witnesses to the momentous event would have been useful? Precisely because the story is a fabrication. If it had really happened the testimony of a squad of temple guards,not followers of Jesus, would have started a chain of events that just did not happen.

As a "real event" the passage is beset with problems. [u] How on earth did the comatose guards know "everything that had happened"? How could they admit to being asleep yet be certain that the disciples had stolen the body? Even more difficult to explain is how is the author of Matthew could himself possibly know of the dastardly plan hatched by the chief priests and elders? [/b]

Thirdly, did you know that in the first century, the bones of holy men is venerated in their shrine ? Yes, it was. Jesus' tomb was never venerated as a shrine, this prove the tomb was empty and christ is risen.

This amounts to nothing. I was expecting you to counter his valid points in the op, all I see here are woeful lies and rants that hold no water..

BTW where is truthman2012, I haven't seen that old clown for weeks?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Omooba77: 9:56pm On Jun 27, 2016
babysmart:
Honestly, anything could have happened to the body. My major issue is the Ascension. Was it only the disciples that met him at Galilee? Are there any non disciples that saw Jesus after the so called resurrection?

BTW...To those insinuating that seun has been attacking Christians alone because he's scared of muslims...He was once a Christian and not a Muslim. Obviously he knows a lot about the religion he left. He has done his own research and is clearly trying to open everyone's eyes using his forum.

If you haven't noticed Christianity has a great deal of loopholes and yet it's only Christians that you'll see evangelising up and down. It would be a lot more sensible if Christians search for evidence to back their claims rather than calling seun an antichrist. Seriously? Is that all you guys have to say?

Lastly...he was named Oluwaseun by his parents. Surely you don't expect him to change his name because he is now an atheist.

Hope I didn't derail sha. I really like what you're doing seun. It has been somewhat educating. When I tell people I'm a free thinker, they gimme this really weird look and say, 'How can a girl be a free thinker? '

Maybe I'll graduate to atheist level very soon.
I would really like to read your materials. Could you help with some sites or something?

You cant do anything against the Truth,was once in the same shoe Seun is founding himself. Every proof shows God exist and Jesus resurrected. Life is a choice

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Rilwayne001: 9:59pm On Jun 27, 2016
angels09:
the fact that you believe does not make it TRUE, and stop mocking my faith in whatever form, stop spewing profanities against our faith just because we r peace loving, only a coward does that! Try it with Islam!!!

Butthurt tongue tongue

E pain am

1 Like

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by malvisguy212: 10:23pm On Jun 27, 2016
Seun:
There are so many possible answers to that question:
1) People often risk their lives for lies. Someone who lied for a long time might rather risk death than allow the truth to destroy his life's work.
2) When death came, they may not have been given the option of telling the truth in exchange for their lives. They may have had no choice.
3) It is possible that a third party was responsible for the missing body and the disciples only saw Jesus in visions rather than bodily. Then over time the stories of their spiritual (imaginary) encounters with Jesus might have been spiced up dramatically by people trying to prove that Jesus rose physically from the dead. In this case, if they were in fact martyred, they would have chosen to die for what they thought was the truth but was only in their minds. In the time of Paul there were Christians called "gnostics" who believed that the resurrection was only spiritual.
So they were beaten, persecuted and killed for a deliberate lie ? What will they achieve for this lie ? One fact still stand, the TOMB WAS EMPTY, were would the body go ? What explanation will you give concerning the empty tomb ? to say the disciples stole his body is laughable. 11 people would not just give their life for something they know is a lie. Chose among this 3
1.Are they lying ?.
2.they hallucinated ?
3.They actually saw the risen christ ?

Chose among the 3, I have question for you. Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by malvisguy212: 10:39pm On Jun 27, 2016
Rilwayne001:

That's your opinion, and like Seun said, "Jesus closest followers had everything to lose by his death, and everything to gain by getting people to believe the resurrection story. They had sold all their posessions and left their families and professions to join Jesus' ministry. With his death, that ministry was finished, but the ressurection story brought it back to life. Knowing about this serious conflict of interest, it reasonable to accept their testimony as evidence that the resurrection actually happened?"

[b] We all know this account was according to Matthew and we know what Matthew was trying to do here. This is a ploy to start the so-called "rumour" that Christian's have found useful ever since – the "stolen body" straw man which you are trying to use here:Matthew 28.11-15 " While the women were on their way,some of the guards went into the city and reported to the chief priests everything that had happened. When the chief priests had met with the elders and DEVISED A PLAN, they gave the soldiers a large sum of money, telling them, "You are to say, 'His disciples came during the night and stole him away [size=13pt] WHILE WE WERE ASLEEP [/size] .' If this report gets to the governor, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble." So the soldiers took the money and did as they were instructed. And this story has been widely circulated among the Jews to this very day ." –

This^ entire episode is directed at the objection that if the body wasn't in the tomb then an obvious explanation would be that somebody had removed it. The guards and the "sealing of the sepulchre" are intended to silence this objection.

Why did the guards have to be made "as dead men"? Surely extra witnesses to the momentous event would have been useful? Precisely because the story is a fabrication. If it had really happened the testimony of a squad of temple guards,not followers of Jesus, would have started a chain of events that just did not happen.

As a "real event" the passage is beset with problems. [u] How on earth did the comatose guards know "everything that had happened"? How could they admit to being asleep yet be certain that the disciples had stolen the body? Even more difficult to explain is how is the author of Matthew could himself possibly know of the dastardly plan hatched by the chief priests and elders? [/b]

This amounts to nothin. I was expecting you to counter his valid points in the op. All I see here is just a woeful lies and rants that hold no water..

Address the OP or shut up there undecided

BTW where is truthman2012, I haven't seen that old clown for weeks?
okay.
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by macof(m): 11:03pm On Jun 27, 2016
Engrobiorah:
Full name OLUWASEUN Wats d full meaning abeg?
what dictionary told you that oluwa has anything to do with your religion?
I hope you know that Sango, Oduduwa, Orunmila etc are Oluwas in yorubaland?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Engrobiorah(m): 11:08pm On Jun 27, 2016
macof:

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by KingEbukaNaija: 11:10pm On Jun 27, 2016
malvisguy212:
So they were beaten, persecuted and killed for a deliberate lie ? What will they achieve for this lie ? One fact still stand, the TOMB WAS EMPTY, were would the body go ? What explanation will you give concerning the empty tomb ? to say the disciples stole his body is laughable. 11 people would not just give their life for something they know is a lie. Chose among this 3
1.Are they lying ?.
2.they hallucinated ?

No need to continue the argument . He is obviously making up anything as a rebuttal , nothing verisimilitudinous about his tale . What the heck is "people risk their lives for lies " undecided , the whole thing is becoming a child's play .
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Engrobiorah(m): 11:10pm On Jun 27, 2016
macof:

You are talking poo.
I asked a simple question.
He is an atheist, which means he doesnt believe in any god, den wat is oluwa which means god still doin in his name?

1 Like

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by KingEbukaNaija: 11:13pm On Jun 27, 2016
ikombe:
lol. Funny meme

Ikr ! That was my exact reaction to whatever you conjured up as a rebuttal . Come back with something worth paying attention to .

Peace
Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by malvisguy212: 11:17pm On Jun 27, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

No need to continue the argument . He is obviously making up anything as a rebuttal , nothing verisimilitudinous about his tale . What the heck is "people risk their lives for lies " undecided , the whole thing is becoming a child's play .
thank you my brother, 11 peasant were able to ROLL A GIANT stone and stole the body while the guard are still sleeping. Maby they put on ear piece while sleeping so they could not hear noise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by KingEbukaNaija: 11:20pm On Jun 27, 2016
malvisguy212:
thank you my brother, 11 peasant were able to ROLL A GIANT stone and stole the body while the guard are still sleeping. Maby they put on ear piece while sleeping so they could not hear noise.

Lmao . And they'll tell you its logical thinking . Atheism is a complete joke grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Seun(m): 11:39pm On Jun 27, 2016
malvisguy212:
1.Are they lying ?.
2.they hallucinated ?

Okay, let's do this. We could spend ages indulging in endless speculations that have nothing to do with reality, so let's not do that. Let's anchor our speculations in reality by discussing only the things we have evidence for.

You seem to believe that the 11 disciples were all beaten, persecuted and killed for insisting that Jesus rose from the dead. That they all had a chance to save their lives by confessing that Jesus did not rise from the dead, but they all refused to do that, and for this reason they were all killed. Show me the evidence for that.

(Rilwayne001, thanks for your insightful comments on the Matthew story.)

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by winner01(m): 12:32am On Jun 28, 2016
urahara:

Pretty girl no one is entitled to respect your religion smiley
But ur entitled to keep your freaking opinions to urself.
We will continue to serve Jesus, and He is your Lord no matter how much you fight Him, hate Him or want him not to exist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by macof(m): 12:35am On Jun 28, 2016
Engrobiorah:

You are talking poo.
I asked a simple question.
He is an atheist, which means he doesnt believe in any god, den wat is oluwa which means god still doin in his name?

oluwa means Master or Lord not God. so shut the hell up

1 Like

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by winner01(m): 12:39am On Jun 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Superior logic ? From who ?

Anyway, you always mention me when apparently you have nothing reasonable to say like you are doing now . I'm not gay by the way .

Atheism has nothing to offer humanity and it will never have . Winner01 and I have always delineated atheism for what it is . Which argument have you brought forward that is worth anyone's attention ?

Seun again undecided. Its not surprising. He's doing the little he can for his country. Ive missed the party though. Maybe he should tell us why anybody needs to believe anything since life is ultimately pointless.
I no get too time now, ill make my submissions tmao.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by KingEbukaNaija: 12:56am On Jun 28, 2016
winner01:
Seun again undecided. Its not surprising. He's doing the little he can for his country. Ive missed the party though. Maybe he should tell us why anybody needs to believe anything since life is ultimately pointless.
I no get too time now, ill make my submissions tmao.

lmao @ "he is doing the little he can for his country" . I've been asking the same thing oo in a different way , what's the point of atheism exactly? Maybe being an atheist automatically bestows intelligence on people , na him sabi o cheesy

If he doubts the resurrection story , how it take concern us undecided . Im very sure he believes in science myths like abiogenesis even with the apparent lack of evidence and he does not scrutinize these things . There are many beliefs atheists have that don't add up at all .

Remove the log from your eye before you try to do same to others .

North Korea's atheist president is planning to subjugate the world and is threatening world peace . No atheist bats an eye .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Why We Must Stop Defending Pastors / Apostle Mike Wealth: "Many Students Will Die In Rivers, House Will Be On Fire" / Is It Right For A Woman To Head A Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.