Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (672223 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by masquellett(m): 7:53pm On Aug 20, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Only answer to the bold.... liquid must be in your checked luggage and not your hand luggage... so yes no liquid with you on flight /hand luggage check it in your main luggage
Okay. Thanks mam.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:29pm On Aug 20, 2016
masquellett:
Hello good people, please I have some key questions to ask.
1) I just heard no liquids on flight! Will I be told to drop my body lotion cream and perf before boarding?
2) Please, what's the cheapest route to Union, new jersey from JFK, I don't intend using taxi, cos of the high fair, a friend said train is cheaper! Any other option? Cos every dollar needs to be checked oo.
3) Say my parents wants to wire money to me, can they walk into any bank and wire to me, via western union or money gram?, then I get the dollar equivalent.

Thanks in anticipation.

Total cost should be less than $10 to 15.... will be stressfull dragging boxes but hey you just do it jejely ...and almost 2 hours because of the change change but you will sha get there and then rest and sleep

Train Route

1 and 2 : In JFK take the Airtrain from the terminal to Jamaica Station and then the train heading to Penn Station....make sure you purchase a ticket at the station

3: At Penn Station, following the directional signs to the Amtrak/NJ Transit . Once there, purchase a one way NJ Transit ticket from Penn Station to Union via Newark Penn Station

4: At Newark Penn Station, transfer to Raritan Valley Line. Take the Raritan Valley Line from Newark Penn Station to Union.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:33pm On Aug 20, 2016
masquellett:
Hello good people, please I have some key questions to ask.
1) I just heard no liquids on flight! Will I be told to drop my body lotion cream and perf before boarding?
2) Please, what's the cheapest route to Union, new jersey from JFK, I don't intend using taxi, cos of the high fair, a friend said train is cheaper! Any other option? Cos every dollar needs to be checked oo.
3) Say my parents wants to wire money to me, can they walk into any bank and wire to me, via western union or money gram?, then I get the dollar equivalent.

Thanks in anticipation.

No easy like this... because there even a monthly limit which is small hence why people are forced to go to black market or hustle for Form A and PTA ...

An alternative people do is your parents pay into your nigeria bank account then you go to an atm or cash machine in America and withdraw cash....but you have to check that your nigeria bank doesnt have restrictions and what the daily and monthly limit is so u plan accordingly
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by masquellett(m): 8:42pm On Aug 20, 2016
@Lagosismyhome. Thanks mam. Really appreciate this info. Trying to cut cost. I don't mind dragging my luggages around o. Lol grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 8:45pm On Aug 20, 2016
mrsmith11:
Please house
does low toefl score affect one visa chances?

I applied for a short course and they ask for my transcript and toefl 61 or ielt 5.5
My result just came out 74. I sent the transcript and toefl score to her and she replied *thank you*

Is it advisable I retake the test for embassy purpose?

Cc : Lagosismyhome
Cc : walspring

What kind of short program? Is it for Msc or diploma because that will determine my response.

Also is it 2 years college or 4 years college ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by tsquare299(m): 9:09pm On Aug 20, 2016
worry359:

If you have a letter stating that you do not need it then you should be ok. Some do it anyway to look better for the VO.
thanks man
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:14pm On Aug 20, 2016
mrsmith11:
Please house
does low toefl score affect one visa chances?

I applied for a short course and they ask for my transcript and toefl 61 or ielt 5.5
My result just came out 74. I sent the transcript and toefl score to her and she replied *thank you*

Is it advisable I retake the test for embassy purpose?

Cc : Lagosismyhome
Cc : walspring

Low score for sure can affect but not in all cases are u asked for your toefl scores or does it hurt...so its hard to predict. It is 50/50 ....... also more details on what a short course is and is it in a University. ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:36pm On Aug 20, 2016
Who dey mention my moniker in a now deleted posts....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by mrsmith11(m): 10:05pm On Aug 20, 2016
Walspring:

What kind of short program? Is it for Msc or diploma because that will determine my response.

Also is it 2 years college or 4 years college ?

Just an 8 weeks certificate program with a college credit.
The course is EMT-B (emergency medical technician ) with option to paramedic level
School: university of south alabama

Cc: Lagosismyhome
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Urbanboy(m): 10:19pm On Aug 20, 2016
masquellett:

Okay. Thanks mam.

Can my laptop be in my checked luggage?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by halidaf: 10:19pm On Aug 20, 2016
Christian129:
Baba na joke o dey o. No vex. How Grand Rapids?
this bros no just dey understand something.. Hian!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 10:27pm On Aug 20, 2016
Chem101:
Good afternoon sir, please i want to ask if colleges offering 4years degree programme are also classified as community colleges. I also want to ask if a financial aid scholarship is been awarded to a student base on need(need base scholarship) do one still need to go to the embassy with a bank statement since the person was awarded the scholarship because he/she can't afford to study in the US and lastly how do you think one should answer the "who's sponsoring you" question by the VO.

4 years college is not a community college at all.

Scholarship can be awarded to student and yet you still need bank statement even you have full ride scholarship during visa interview
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 10:31pm On Aug 20, 2016
mrsmith11:

Just an 8 weeks certificate program with a college credit.
The course is EMT-B (emergency medical technician ) with option to paramedic level
School: university of south alabama

Cc: Lagosismyhome

Well your profile will determine if your visa will be approved.

Do you have a degree before applying for this course and is it diploma degree or university degree you have ?

What matter is how you will convince the VO that you are truly going for the 8 weeks program ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by mrsmith11(m): 10:38pm On Aug 20, 2016
Walspring:

Well your profile will determine if your visa will be approved.

Do you have a degree before applying for this course and is it diploma degree or university degree you have ?

What matter is how you will convince the VO that you are truly going for the 8 weeks program ?

Thanks
Degree? Yes .B.sc computer science 3rd class (1.90)

Purpose for the course: voluntary service with NEMA or my state hospital ambulance service where we have few or no EMTor Paramedic personnel and also to promote the idea to my state government to introduce paramedic courses to the state university or set up paramedic training institute.

Though I live in Europe but is just a passion thing I want to do my country and state

Cc: lagosismyhome
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Christian129(m): 10:44pm On Aug 20, 2016
halidaf:
this bros no just dey understand something.. Hian!
I don't get you. understand what? Dem no teach me coding for school
FYI, I perfect understand what's going on. Feigning ignorance is just a game i like to play

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by charzyh2: 10:48pm On Aug 20, 2016
I'm going for undergraduate program but I have 6 credits excluding maths in my WAEC result. Please, can anyone suggest schools that can accept this kind of result.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by davemek: 10:57pm On Aug 20, 2016
I am been following this thread as a guest. I have really learnt a lot. What advice would you guys give to me as my currently preparing for my SAT.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Helkayklassic(m): 11:00pm On Aug 20, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Total cost should be less than $10 to 15.... will be stressfull dragging boxes but hey you just do it jejely ...and almost 2 hours because of the change change but you will sha get there and then rest and sleep

Train Route

1 and 2 : In JFK take the Airtrain from the terminal to Jamaica Station and then the train heading to Penn Station....make sure you purchase a ticket at the station

3: At Penn Station, following the directional signs to the Amtrak/NJ Transit . Once there, purchase a one way NJ Transit ticket from Penn Station to Union via Newark Penn Station

4: At Newark Penn Station, transfer to Raritan Valley Line. Take the Raritan Valley Line from Newark Penn Station to Union.

God bless you always ma. I am curious how you know almost all the cities in the US so well, even Lagos alone that i have been staying since i was given birth to, there are a lot of places i don't know.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by alexandersherif: 11:15pm On Aug 20, 2016
Helkayklassic:

God bless you always ma. I am curious how you know almost all the cities in the US so well, even Lagos alone that i have been staying since i was given birth to, there are a lot of places i don't know.

@lagosismyhome infact your wing is everywhere..... I salute oooo.....may God enlarge ya coast....... u have done so much in life of NL.....will u marry me if u r not married......lolz just kidding
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by adeyinka09: 12:30am On Aug 21, 2016
Walspring:

Message sent!
Good job bro, plz can u kindly send the TOEFL material to adeyinka1919@gmail.com. Thanks and God bless
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:44am On Aug 21, 2016
Urbanboy:

Can my laptop be in my checked luggage?

Yes u can however i will not advice it ....sometimes if u see the way the luggage attendee throw bags up and down and throw on top each other ... the screen of a laptop is fragile and can end up breaking. For me ooo . Laptop i usually put my handluggage or carry d laptop bag just because of that

So yes u can put it in your checked luggage and pray it doesn't break or be safer by having it closer to you in hand luggage

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:50am On Aug 21, 2016
Helkayklassic:

No ooo...The US is very big oo. I havent been to a lot of the 50 states. My comments are usually for the East coast as i lived in that area and was wakajugbe so quite familiar. ...but outside of East coast axis i know little . ...God bless you too

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:51am On Aug 21, 2016
alexandersherif:

@lagosismyhome infact your wing is everywhere..... I salute oooo.....may God enlarge ya coast....... u have done so much in life of NL.....will u marry me if u r not married......lolz just kidding

grin...God will enlarge your coast as well .....amen
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:57am On Aug 21, 2016
mrsmith11:

Thanks
Degree? Yes .B.sc computer science 3rd class (1.90)

Purpose for the course: voluntary service with NEMA or my state hospital ambulance service where we have few or no EMTor Paramedic personnel and also to promote the idea to my state government to introduce paramedic courses to the state university or set up paramedic training institute.

Though I live in Europe but is just a passion thing I want to do my country and state

Cc: lagosismyhome

I dont know much about the process for short courses. ..However the bold is for you alone. Abeg dont go mentioning it up and down. BSC is BSC and leave the explanation as before the bold

I guess its how u can demonstrate why they should give you visa for an 8weeks course. If u can explain your career goals in a clear manner i guess so. ...and then connect that to computer science because u might be asked why the career switch but all in all ........ I really dont know anything about the process of short courses visa
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dickoflife(m): 1:14am On Aug 21, 2016
Walspring:

Mission ?

Are you a missionary man
no sir.... from the back of the congregation is always good.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:15am On Aug 21, 2016
Walspring:

4 years college is not a community college at all.

Scholarship can be awarded to student and yet you still need bank statement even you have full ride scholarship during visa interview

Agreed but bank statement are rarely asked during interview and if asked at all what you need to show is an amount less of the scholarship amount written on your i20. The need based scholarships amount should be on your i20. If for example your school fees is 20k & living expenses 5k and ur i20 has a scholarship of 20k then ur bank statement can be for only the rest 5k . However they rarely ask about bank statement as i have seen the VO mention this on NL...

If i were you i would not worry too much about bank statement. ..more focus on how you can answer the questions well about yourself and career path...even though thisis need based how was ur sat/toefl?...hope ok or high

Also who is sponsoring you. You have partly the school and then the amount needed outside the school then you say who be responsible for that part even if its just ticket or pocket money that you need or is left ........for example i have a scholarship of xx amount and the rest will be sponsored by my dad . He does yy .

Cc Chem101
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dickoflife(m): 1:15am On Aug 21, 2016
imperiouxx:

Let me know on time so that I fix my schedule.
5 pm should be good. Any change will be passed on to you with dexerity sir..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by CBNL2014: 2:01am On Aug 21, 2016
I'm going for undergraduate program but I have 6 credits excluding maths in my WAEC result. Please, can anyone suggest schools that can accept this kind of result.[/quote]

i realised you sent me a PM which i replied but i did not hear from you again.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by CBNL2014: 2:04am On Aug 21, 2016
charzyh2:
I'm going for undergraduate program but I have 6 credits excluding maths in my WAEC result. Please, can anyone suggest schools that can accept this kind of result.

I realised you sent me a PM which i replied but i did not hear from you again.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by charzyh2: 2:09am On Aug 21, 2016
CBNL2014:

I realised you sent me a PM which i replied but i did not hear from you again.
Oh! I never knew. I will check and reply now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by KPhantom(m): 2:38am On Aug 21, 2016
Hello for those that are planning on transferring immediately to community college upon arrival in the US with the 1-20 of a university because of funds, it is very important if possible, have prior knowledge on the transfer policy of the university u're transferring from. Most universities require that u complete at least a semester with them before they can release ur SEVIS record to the school u want to transfer to, and this means u have to pay the semester tuition which can still be expensive.. Be wary of these schools, because if you try to force a transfer even if u are admissible to another university, ur SEVIS record can be terminated by the uni u are trying to transfer from, and this means falling out of status, and complications can further arise if the USCIS deny ur reinstatement appeal. cases are rare, but not alein...
So when doing a transfer, have the cooperation of the DSO's of both schools for a smooth process. Or prior research about the school policy on transfer would be very helpful, difficult, but possible to get such information. Or better still, have usable funds for up to a semester.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Dipville(m): 3:57am On Aug 21, 2016
damine:
I was inspired by warriboy21's post about his school (Valparaiso University). It was actually one of my options when initially evaluating schools and programs. This is not a generalization, it is my opinion based on my own background/profile/experiences... So my school is Hood College in Frederick, Maryland. Don't let the "college" confuse you into thinking its a 2 year college or just a baccalaureate awarding institution. Hood College is a doctoral degree granting school.

Some of the things I looked at while evaluating schools were
-Relevance of curriculum with industry trends and advances
-Hands-on, experiential learning
-Small class sizes allowing better interaction with faculty
-A culturally diverse student body
-Affordable tuition (very, very key)
-Location and proximity to an economic powerhouse (for internships and jobs)

I have also come to realize that we all can not attend the Ivy Leagues, Public Ivies or Nationally ranked universities. However, that does not mean the quality of education is less at a small private university like Hood College. Neither does it mean the prospect of a brighter future at completion of one's program is bleak. Like one of my professors told me recently, "I (the student) am ultimately responsible for what I make of my graduate education experience". The faculty, school, internships and everything else are just pieces you put together to form your desired output.

Hood College has been around since 1893 and has produced thousands of alumna who have gone ahead to do very well in their various endeavors. Again, you may query LinkedIn to ascertain this. Every program has the right compliment of top-tier faculty and world-class facilities to give you a worthwhile experience. And Nigerian students generally have a good reputation here. There are just a handful of us here currently but we are highly regarded due to our academic integrity and work ethics.

So to respond to some of the most popular FAQs here as it applies to Hood College, find below:

Funding
There are opportunities but these are limited and not guaranteed. The options include admin Graduate Assistants, Teaching Assistants, Lab assistants, Athletic/Sports GAs(you need some form of licensing to get these). Its easier to get an assistantship after you've spent at least a semester as you would have established relationships with the people that matter and your academic abilities can be better adjudged then. Apart from assistantships, you might be able to secure a job working with dining services or facilities on a hourly pay.

Standardized tests
GRE/GMAT aren't required for admission by the school but the general consensus here (Nairaland) is that you take the one applicable to your school/program. TOEFL/IELTS is required.

Minimum GPA for admission
Minimum GPA is 2.75 and you need to get your transcript evaluated (WES, ECE, etc.). However, students with a GPA between 2.5 and 2.7 may be considered for possible provisional admission so this might be a way for some people to achieve their dreams.

Tuition
At $475 per credit hour, the average total tuition for a masters program (30 credit hours after prerequisites) comes in at < $15,000. Yes, you read that correctly. But tuition is just one part of your expenses. Please consider rent, textbooks and living expenses as these add up to form a substantial part of your overall costs.

Links for further reading
http://www.hood.edu/gradapplyintl/

Sent u a pm,can u please reply if u get it,thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (405)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.