Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,818 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? (6590 Views)

For Christians: How To Be Free From Masturbation, Other Addictions / When Unbeliever Appears To Be More Blessed Than You Are / Ways God Uses In Teaching Christians How To Number Their Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by DeSepiero(m): 1:35pm On Aug 20, 2016
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by winner01(m): 1:41pm On Aug 20, 2016
DeSepiero:

You should present more of journal articles published by researchers and not links to news headlines by journalists and media houses.
Are you trying to say those news were reported falsely

DeSepiero:

You should present more of journal articles published by researchers and not links to news headlines by journalists and media houses.

Graeme, Paton (11 June 2008). "Intelligent people 'less likely to believe in God'". The Telegraph.

Lynn, Richard; John Harvey; Helmuth Nyborg (2009). "Average intelligence predicts atheism rates across 137 nations". Intelligence. 37: 11–15. doi:10.1016/j.intell.2008.03.004. Retrieved 2015-05-25.

"Analytic thinking can decrease religious belief, study shows". Science Daily. 26 April 2012.

Zuckerman, Miron; Silberman, Jordan; Hall, Judith A. (2013). "The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations". Personality and Social Psychology Review. 17: 325–354. doi:10.1177/1088868313497266

Controversial researcher Richard Lynn was the author of the study and Greame patons report about the study is given below:
Professor Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at Ulster University, said many more members of the "intellectual elite" considered themselves atheists than the national average.
A decline in religious observance over the last century was directly linked to a rise in average intelligence, he claimed.
But the conclusions - in a paper for the academic journal Intelligence - have been branded "simplistic" by critics.
Professor Lynn, who has provoked controversy in the past with research linking intelligence to race and sex, said university academics were less likely to believe in God than almost anyone else.
A survey of Royal Society fellows found that only 3.3 per cent believed in God - at a time when 68.5 per cent of the general UK population described themselves as believers.

Most of thestudies you hav given are by Miron Zuckerman, and did you know that Miron Zuckerman has recently come out to carefully point out that his work does not mean only dumb people believe in God. Rather,he says that, it shows only that more intelligent people may feel they have less need for religion.

DeSepiero:
Winner01,
In the 1990s a study of members of the American National Academy of Sciences reported that 7% believed in the existence of God, as compared with approximately 90% found in a poll of the general population (Larsen & Witham, 1998).

Larsen, E. L., &Witham, L. (1998). Leading scientists still reject God.Nature,394, 313.
Academy of sciences you say. We are talking about general education.

The last study is seriously flawed and proves nothing. There have been times whenleading scientists were theists, did that hinder the progress of science. We are talking about education here.

I'm trying to imagine you and cloudgoddess conducting a survey on religion and intelligence. We can know the result even before you start.

I'm dissapointed cos out of about 60 studies on religiousity and intelligence, you can only give 3. Actually, ive read about 11 of such studies which affirm a negative correlation between education and religion. I have my reservations cos of the sample sizes and population of study.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by winner01(m): 1:47pm On Aug 20, 2016
SirWere:
But their "obsession" is usually limited. Most atheists; after a while, usually contend themselves with silence and staying in the background after realizing the futility of continous arguments.

You, on the other hand, continue to "preach" against atheists, in a horribly misjudged fashion.

Chill, sire.

Take a break from the religious section, open a thread somewhere else. Your profile is chock-filled with threads on Atheism and nothing on the Christianity you claim to practice. All in all,

Just Chill.
I post my Christian topics elsewhere not here. Other christians are doing a great job at that. Is it so offensive if I expose the irrationality of atheism in my leisure especially on a section that feasts on young and baby christians?
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by winner01(m): 1:50pm On Aug 20, 2016
DeSepiero:

If I were as jobless as he is, given the time he spends in compiling all these garbage. I would have given him less to rant about long ago.
I have a job except you have a better offer for me.

Are the video proofs in the article garbage too?

Can you start giving me less to "rant" about sometime soon?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 20, 2016
winner01:
I post my Christian topics elsewhere not here. Other christians are doing a great job at that. Is it so offensive if I expose the irrationality of atheism in my leisure especially on a section that feasts on young and baby christians?
ok. Your Choice, I guess.

1 Like

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by winner01(m): 1:58pm On Aug 20, 2016
SirWere:
It's so damn scary. He spents an interminable amount of time abusing atheists. I shudder to think of what will happen if his kid or anyone close to him turned out to be unsatsified with faith.

And what's funny is that it's from most of the deeply religious homes that most people turn out to be atheistic gringrin.
I dont abuse atheists my good friend. Im just interested in talking about atheism since atheists never talk about their own worldview. The only thing they seem to talk about is God and religion. I'm simply helping out. smiley

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by DeSepiero(m): 1:58pm On Aug 20, 2016
winner01:

Controversial researcher Richard Lynn was the author of the study and Greame patons report about the study is given below:
Professor Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at Ulster University, said many more members of the "intellectual elite" considered themselves atheists than the national average.
A decline in religious observance over the last century was directly linked to a rise in average intelligence, he claimed.
But the conclusions - in a paper for the academic journal Intelligence - have been branded "simplistic" by critics.
Professor Lynn, who has provoked controversy in the past with research linking intelligence to race and sex, said university academics were less likely to believe in God than almost anyone else.
A survey of Royal Society fellows found that only 3.3 per cent believed in God - at a time when 68.5 per cent of the general UK population described themselves as believers.

Most of thestudies you hav given are by Miron Zuckerman, and did you know that Miron Zuckerman has recently come out to carefully point out that his work does not mean only dumb people believe in God. Rather,he says that, it shows only that more intelligent people may feel they have less need for religion.

Academy of sciences you say. We are talking about general education.

The last study is seriously flawed and proves nothing. There have been times whenleading scientists were theists, did that hinder the progress of science. We are talking about education here.

I'm trying to imagine you and cloudgoddess conducting a survey on religion and intelligence. We can know the result even before you start.

I'm dissapointed cos out of about 60 studies on religiousity and intelligence, you can only give 3. Actually, ive read about 11 of such studies which affirm a negative correlation between education and religion. I have my reservations cos of the sample sizes and population of study.

You should bow your head and keep quiet.
Those researches were conducted by more than one author, published in world reputable journals and were definitely peer reviewed by a board of editors prior to publication.

I am surprised you still had the guts to refute researches published in 'Nature', 'Intelligence' and 'Science'. It shows your height of delusion.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by Ranchhoddas: 2:02pm On Aug 20, 2016
The atheist evangelist is at it again.
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:02pm On Aug 20, 2016
winner01:
I dont abuse atheists my good friend. Im just interested in talking about atheism since atheists never talk about their own worldview. The only thing they seem to talk about is God and religion. I'm simply helping out. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:05pm On Aug 20, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
The atheist evangelist is at it again.

Still made more contributions with facts in this section in just six months than atheists since this forum began . He has changed the paradigm and everyone appreciates his efforts .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by DeSepiero(m): 2:07pm On Aug 20, 2016
winner01:

Which is more reliable?

A study conducted by a team of scientists and professors in a University and published in a Journal

Or

A study conducted and reported by a journalist in a media house?

1 Like

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by winner01(m): 2:08pm On Aug 20, 2016
DeSepiero:

You should bow your head and keep quiet.
Those researches were conducted by more than one author, published in world reputable journals and were definitely peer reviewed by a board of editors prior to publication.

I am surprised you still had the guts to refute researches published in 'Nature', 'Intelligence' and 'Science'. It shows your height of delusion.
Zuckerman was the first author in many of the studies you posted and he has given his stand.

We were talking about education and religiousity, you were giving examples on number of religious people in the Academy of sciences in the U.S.A, why didnt you tell us about medcine. You also talked about the worlds leading scientists in 1998, does that even mean anything? We know those who founded most science fields of today don't we?

Those things simply dont follow our argument. You should not just copy everything you see out of ignorance and desperation.
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by winner01(m): 2:10pm On Aug 20, 2016
DeSepiero:

Which is more reliable?

A study conducted by a team of scientists and professors in a University and published in a Journal

Or

A study conducted and reported by a journalist in a media house?
The media houses only reported the study. CNN does not conduct such researches. Did you even go to the link I posted. Why dismiss anything that doesnot agree with atheism?
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by winner01(m): 2:12pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Still made more contributions with facts in this section in just six months than atheists since this forum began . He has changed the paradigm and everyone appreciates his efforts .
Bless you Bro! smiley
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by DeSepiero(m): 2:19pm On Aug 20, 2016
winner01:
The media houses only reported the study. CNN does not conduct such researches. Did you even go to the link I posted. Why dismiss anything that doesnot agree with atheism?

I asked a question you didn't answer.

Also did you read any of the research articles I shared?

By the way, show me the published study you are referring to. Cite them here.

Don't give me a second hand account by CNN.
Was that how you did your undergraduate project? With CNN? That's if you have a first degree .

2 Likes

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by Ranchhoddas: 2:22pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Facts like Hitler was atheist?
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:27pm On Aug 20, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Facts like Hitler was atheist?

He was an atheist , a rabid atheist in fact . His friends and myrmidons were also atheists
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 20, 2016
winner01:

Their is a line between talking and trolling sir. A well defined line. And you seem to be on the wrong side of it more and more often, sir. I'm a young person. I've been taught to respect older people. That has been the reason on many occasions to not reply your posts and show how horribly wrong and fallacious most of your exposés are. That and I don't like controversies. My point is ; trolling atheists continually up and down and repeating near identical threads over and over again does not do well for your cause. It might keep the "baby" christians who are NOT curious in your religion away from it; but the eternally curious; the ones who hunger for knowledge wherever they can find it; will call your bluff; sir.

2 Likes

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by Ranchhoddas: 2:31pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

He was an atheist , a rabid atheist in fact . His friends and myrmidons were also atheists
Of course he was. He only pretended to be a Christian.
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by DeSepiero(m): 2:43pm On Aug 20, 2016
winner01:

Miron Zuckerman has recently come out to carefully point out that his work does not mean only dumb people believe in God. Rather,he says that, it shows only that more intelligent people may feel they have less need for religion.

You figured this out after your little research?

When I said "educated people are more likely to become atheists" you disagreed and misunderstood me.

Have you not confirmed what I said earlier?

1 Like

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by HCpaul(m): 2:57pm On Aug 20, 2016
SirWere:

Their is a line between talking and trolling sir. A well defined line. And you seem to be on the wrong side of it more and more often, sir. I'm a young person. I've been taught to respect older people. That has been the reason on many occasions to not reply your posts and show how horribly wrong and fallacious most of your exposés are. That and I don't like controversies. My point is ; trolling atheists continually up and down and repeating near identical threads over and over again does not do well for your cause. It might keep the "baby" christians who are NOT curious in your religion away from it; but the eternally curious; the ones who hunger for knowledge wherever they can find it; will call your bluff; sir.

Perfect response. You adequately bruteforce out my intellectual vocals by expressing my thought in your write up.

2 Likes

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by promise10: 3:04pm On Aug 20, 2016
HCpaul:
This is interesting. Your God will bless you.

Shalom!
I would like to meet this guy FACE TO FACE and talk some sense into him.
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by winner01(m): 3:14pm On Aug 20, 2016
SirWere:

I agree that I troll atheists sometimes but do you say this to atheists who do the same?

Its good you're respectful, atheists here could learn a thing or two from you.

Ill appreciate it if you could go to some of my threads where I made claims, and refute them with your facts. Ill gladly delete the oP if your facts are credible.

Ill keep talking about atheism on this section simply because atheists wont talk about it. The day may come when I wont have the strength for this sort of thing anymore, but that day is not today.

1 Like

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by winner01(m): 3:36pm On Aug 20, 2016
Muafrika2:

Nairobi.
You stay in kenya?
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 20, 2016
winner01:
You stay in kenya?
Yep
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by Dejideji1(m): 5:45pm On Aug 20, 2016
DeSepiero:

Do you still want more proof that religion makes someone dumb?

Point of correction Bro, religion cannot make someone dumb. If you are born with a very high IQ being religious can't make you dumb.
Or can you explain to me, how religion can reduce someone's intelligence quotient?

I believe you know that people are born with different talents, capabilities and interests. Simply because some people are more into religion and almost not interested in any other thing doesn't mean they are dumb.

Those people in the field of science making research/discoveries and technological inventions that we all use today were born with such potentials in them.

(those are the people you believe are using their brains for the development of humanity and you want everyone to be like them, but it is not possible because we have different interests, talents and Capabilities as i have stated earlier and everyone is contributing his/her own quota for the benefit of the society )

So there are people who are just not interested in that area and it's not because of religious reasons.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by Dejideji1(m): 5:55pm On Aug 20, 2016
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by DeSepiero(m): 6:03pm On Aug 20, 2016
Dejideji1:

Point of correction Bro, religion cannot make someone dumb. If you are born with a very high IQ being religious can't make you dumb.
Or can you explain to me, how religion can reduce someone's intelligence quotient?

I believe you know that people are born with different talents, capabilities and interests. Simply because some people are more into religion and almost not interested in any other thing doesn't mean they have been blinded or deluded by religious indoctrination.

Those people in the field of science making research/discoveries and technological inventions that we all use today (those are the people you believe are using their brains and you want everyone to be like them) were born with such potentials in them.
There are some people who are not just interested in that area at all and not because of religious reasons.

A meta-analysis has found a negative correlation between intelligence quotient (IQ) and religiosity (Zuckerman et al., 2013).

Zuckerman, Miron; Silberman, Jordan; Hall, Judith A. (2013). "The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations". Personality and Social Psychology Review. 17: 325–354. doi:10.1177/1088868313497266.

Please explain!!
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by EyeHateGod: 6:05pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Lmao ... noo .. related searches include what other people have google searched . I only googled "atheists have emotional problems " while researching for my thread and woah I saw those related searches and decided to snipe it .

Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by EyeHateGod: 6:08pm On Aug 20, 2016
winner01:

Ill keep talking about atheism on this section simply because atheists wont talk about it. The day may come when I wont have the strength for this sort of thing anymore, but that day is not today.
The day U would stop trolling?? Ill die grin
Re: Christians, How Do You React When An Unbeliever Preaches To You? by Dejideji1(m): 6:49pm On Aug 20, 2016
DeSepiero:

A meta-analysis has found a negative correlation between intelligence quotient (IQ) and religiosity (Zuckerman et al., 2013).

Zuckerman, Miron; Silberman, Jordan; Hall, Judith A. (2013). "The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations". Personality and Social Psychology Review. 17: 325–354. doi:10.1177/1088868313497266.

Please explain!!

Lol, you are very funny, you mean you can't interprete that data?

I saw the table showing the correlation on the first page. The statistics show that people with high IQ tend to be non-religious/don't believe in God. Not that religion reduces IQ /make people dumb, get the difference.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Can't God Kill Satan Once And For All / Does Christianity Support Immorality And Pacifism? / Please I Am Confused About The Time Of Rapture According To The Bible...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.