Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,733 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 11 - Travel (289) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 11 (912140 Views)

Peace Mass Bus Travelling To Abuja Involved In Fatal Accident,Many Dead(photos) / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by MunezSanti: 11:13pm On Jan 04, 2017
Is anyone here going to UPEI summer intake and has already gotten acceptance letter from the school?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Oladimejii(m): 11:20pm On Jan 04, 2017
2. I intend to apply with my family. I intend to apply first then apply for theirs after I get mine. How do I go about this?
3. School resumes in September. Can I start my study permit application now?
4. Online or paper?

I'd welcome hearing from you guys. God bless you. And for people expecting their trvs.. it will come in Jesus name.

Ola.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jan 04, 2017
JDDreamer:
Please, where can I get a good thermal wear in Lagos? What's the price range? Thanks.
Thermal wears aren't meant for Nigeria weather and so you should not expect to get a good one here. Plan to get them when in Canada.
Regards
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Eraytee: 11:49pm On Jan 04, 2017
Oladimejii:
Hi guys,

Been following this thread for sometime. I just got admitted at the Centre of Geographic Sciences, Nova Scotia Community College to study an Advanced Diploma Degree in Geographic Information Science. I chose this school even though it is located in a village in far eastern Canada because of its reputation. The school is often regarded as the best in geomatics education in the whole of Canada.

My Profile.

1. I'm a graduate of Geography (Graduated with a 2.1) back in 2009.
2. I have been working for the Lagos State Government for 7 Years now (Joined in 2010).
3. I did my Masters (Geographic Information Systems) at the University of Lagos. (I didn't declare this in my application and I don't intend to declare when applying for trv either)
4. I did a short course at the National Space Research and Development Agency in GIS and Remote Sensing back in 2013.
5. Shortly after this course, I did a GIS project at my place of work. This earned me an "employee of the year award". (I intend to include this in my SOP stating the award inspired me to learn more).
6. My main sponsor will be an uncle (Dad's younger brother, same surname). My Dad will be a secondary sponsor.
7. I'm married with a son.
8. First of three kids of my parents as well as the only son. I also manage their rental properties ( Homes and a Shops). Rents are paid into my account.(Dad stated this in his support letter).
9. I have a study permit from the Lagos state Government (my employer) for the duration of my studies.

My Questions.

1. Based on my profile above, what are my chances of getting a trv?
2. I intend to apply with my family. I intend to apply first then apply for theirs after I get mine. How do I go about this?
4. Online or paper?

I'd welcome hearing from you guys. God bless you. And for people expecting their trvs.. it will come in Jesus name.

Ola.

1. I think a pgc/pgd is better for u considering ur level of education and work experience, adv diploma is lower dan ur bsc.
2. Get ur TRV approved first before discussing that, one step at a time.
3. Yes u can.
4. Any of the routes is ok, it all ur choice bro
Regards.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Spatz81: 11:53pm On Jan 04, 2017
thesoj:
A PGC/PGD is higher than a BSc. Having said that, it appears that CIC has now raised the bar for PGC/PGD approvals, while MSc approvals don't seem to be scrutinized in the same way. I agree that it is possible to get a TRV for a program below your highest educational attainment, but this is the exception and not the norm.

@Thesoj, I have read couple of your responses, and I must say they have very informative given your objective view points;

I have a few questions, although seem like it might have been addressed but kindly indulge me.

I got B.Sc in International relations from OAU in 2007....went for my NYSC 08/09 and started working as a Human Resource person from 2010 till date...I have worked in like 3 companies...in between I got an MBA also from OAU in 2012/14.(part time).

I am 36yrs, married with a kid. I developed interest to go for an M.Sc program in Canada...I applied to a few schools but wasn't admitted....I realized it was because of my 2.2 grade level.

So after couple more research, I stumbled on VIU dual program....MBA/M.Sc in International Business which I thought was interesting( kill two birds with a stone)....however I realized that with my 2.2, I couldn't be admitted unless I go for their one year POst Degree Diploma in Business which would afford me direct entry in the MBA/MSc dual program.

Here are my questions;

Would you advice that I stay silent on my MBA achievement from OAU, so I don't complicate my application for a study permit for a PDDB, a seemingly lower program even though the ultimate goal is the dual MBA/M.ScIM program?

My second question is that my wife would be my sponsor as she currently earns A LOT more than I do, she can conveniently show proof fund for the entire program with the MBA program inclusive...will it be out of place if stands as my sponsor?

I see a lot of questions about which is the best mode of application between paper and online...does one have advantage over the other?

I bet that these questions might have been addressed in past threads but kindly indulge me. Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Princelharry1: 11:53pm On Jan 04, 2017
[quote author=tplacid post=52530761]

You can differ your admission bruv, then continue working and apply for study leave when for the next session.

My school resumes on the 9th too but my TRV hasn't been approved yet hence I differed my admission till May. ......

Please Someone should help with sample on how to differ admission.. Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Princelharry1: 11:56pm On Jan 04, 2017
Please gurĂºs in the house should Please help with a sample of how to write school to differ admission..Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Spatz81: 11:57pm On Jan 04, 2017
Spatz81:

@Thesoj, I have read couple of your responses, and I must say they have very informative given your objective view points;

I have a few questions, although seem like it might have been addressed but kindly indulge me.

I got B.Sc in International relations from OAU in 2007....went for my NYSC 08/09 and started working as a Human Resource person from 2010 till date...I have worked in like 3 companies...in between I got an MBA also from OAU in 2012/14.(part time).

I am 36yrs, married with a kid. I developed interest to go for an M.Sc program in Canada...I applied to a few schools but wasn't admitted....I realized it was because of my 2.2 grade level.

So after couple more research, I stumbled on VIU dual program....MBA/M.Sc in International Business which I thought was interesting( kill two birds with a stone)....however I realized that with my 2.2, I couldn't be admitted unless I go for their one year POst Degree Diploma in Business which would afford me direct entry in the MBA/MSc dual program.

Here are my questions;

Would you advice that I stay silent on my MBA achievement from OAU, so I don't complicate my application for a study permit for a PDDB, a seemingly lower program even though the ultimate goal is the dual MBA/M.ScIM program?

My second question is that my wife would be my sponsor as she currently earns A LOT more than I do, she can conveniently show proof fund for the entire program with the MBA program inclusive...will it be out of place if stands as my sponsor?

I see a lot of questions about which is the best mode of application between paper and online...does one have advantage over the other?

I bet that these questions might have been addressed in past threads but kindly indulge me. Thanks.

By the way, I applied and got admission into the Post Degree Diploma in Business program. To begin in the fall of 2017.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Princelharry1: 12:00am On Jan 05, 2017
[quote author=dasolechild post=52530068]My brother, the situation is critical ooo! i have applied for a study leave starting this January
and i don't know what next to do. i even called CIC Ghana but no response.
The problem now is i don't know if they will let me in at the POE
if the trv comes later than 13th January, anybody with this experience should please share
[

Same here ooh
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Princelharry1: 12:06am On Jan 05, 2017
Someone should Please help i urgently need a sample of letter of differing admission to school...Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Is2bEe(m): 12:15am On Jan 05, 2017
Princelharry1:
Someone should Please help i urgently need a sample of letter of differing admission to school...Thanks
a simple e-mail requesting deferral while stating your reasons will suffice.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by thesoj: 12:16am On Jan 05, 2017
Oladimejii:
...I just got admitted at the Centre of Geographic Sciences, Nova Scotia Community College to study an Advanced Diploma Degree in Geographic Information Science. I chose this school even though it is located in a village in far eastern Canada because of its reputation. The school is often regarded as the best in geomatics education in the whole of Canada.
If you include the bolded in your SOP, I suggest you have proof otherwise it isn't a credible claim.

Oladimejii:

My Profile.
2. I have been working for the Lagos State Government for 7 Years now (Joined in 2010).
3. I did my Masters (Geographic Information Systems) at the University of Lagos. (I didn't declare this in my application and I don't intend to declare when applying for trv either)...
Not declaring your MSc is one thing, coming on here to state that you won't declare it is another thing. Keep in mind that it is very likely that VOs or their interns check this website from time to time. These sorts of public statements make it even harder for Nigerian students to get their TRVs, and contribute to the long processing times (CIC does investigations on Nigerian applicants, probably more so than from other countries, given our reputation for fraud).

The other issue. You have a BSc (and an undeclared MSc) with seven years of experience, yet you are opting to go for a program that is lower than a BSc. Putting myself in the shoes of the VO, there's a 95% chance that I'd deny the application particularly because you've worked in the field for a whole seven years yet you plan to go for a program below a BSc.

Oladimejii:

My Questions.
4. Online or paper?
1. See above.
2. Apply for yours alone, and then apply for SOWP for spouse.
3. Yes
4. Either.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by thesoj: 12:21am On Jan 05, 2017
Spatz81:
...Would you advice that I stay silent on my MBA achievement from OAU, so I don't complicate my application for a study permit for a PDDB, a seemingly lower program even though the ultimate goal is the dual MBA/M.ScIM program?
I see where you might be coming from, but I never recommend concealing important information.

Spatz81:
It is perfectly fine, bro. Westerners don't have the same traditional family view that a husband should be richer than the wife. As a matter of fact, this may work to your advantage if the VO sees you as a humble man peacefully coexisting with a richer wife (unusual in Naija lol).

Spatz81:
No advantage. It depends on which mode you feel would best help you to present your case to the VO. The processing times for each are either similar or unpredictable. Sometimes paper is faster, other times online is faster.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Khloepatra3: 1:39am On Jan 05, 2017
thermal wears arent used in Nigeria, so they re hardly sold in any boutiques. but you can search for any second hand clothing stores. they have them in most cases, although it wont be easy.(i can't really tell the prices but they are very cheap, given that they are second hand) if you dont like second hand clothing, you can opt for a brand new one from amazon.com/aliexpress.com (for about $20 and up)or any online (non-Nigerian) clothing store and it will be delivered to you.
JDDreamer:
Please, where can I get a good thermal wear in Lagos? What's the price range? Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Bamz(m): 1:43am On Jan 05, 2017
dasolechild:
Thanks so much. i guess i will just defer till September then so as to pursue my initial goal.
I just wish i can go on now

It seems my school too will only allow deferral to September. My app is 101 days old. Counting up to the required 105 days.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Teddywhiz1: 2:40am On Jan 05, 2017
Boss Folaroyal help me reply ur mail so that I can forward my sop for vetting... Thank you email from okoro wisdom
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by emakgaga: 5:14am On Jan 05, 2017
Declaring that you intend to come back home at the time of your visa application will not hurt your chances of permanent residence if you intend to do so in the future.

There is a clear and legal path to permanent residence for international students who intend to stay. Just make sure you play by the rules, obey the laws and stick to studies.

You might want to spend some time on the link below

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/intent.asp

tplacid:
Please gurus in house, it's advised that we write our SOP stating we intend to come back to Nigeria, however for those of us trying to apply for PR through FSW or EE won't it be a red flag for the VOs ?

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Spatz81: 6:40am On Jan 05, 2017
[quote author=thesoj post=52540463]I see where you might be coming from, but I never recommend concealing important information.

Thank you very much for you candid opinion. I am happy and very willing to give out any available information....just being careful not to complicate my purpose of travel especially when I will not be there to explain/defend it in person.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Osemigho: 7:31am On Jan 05, 2017
Oladimejii:
Hi guys,

to study an Advanced Diploma Degree in Geographic Information Science.

My Profile.

3. "employee of the year award". (I intend to include this in my SOP stating the award inspired me to learn more).
6. My main sponsor will be an uncle (Dad's younger brother, same surname). My Dad will be a secondary sponsor.
7. I'm married with a son.

9. I have a study permit from the Lagos state Government (my employer) for the duration of my studies.

My Questions.

4. Online or paper?

Now we go to business.

Based on the little I have read - never applied for Visa, you have a good profile considering your job and decision to use your family as home tie. But I have little problem with your choice program.

"An advanced diploma is one given to students who complete a set of courses based on their desired field of study. Generally, this type of diploma is given to students who complete three years of higher education studies. This type of diploma is then just below the achievement of a bachelor's degree." - academic courses.com

I wont advise you apply with that program. With your grade, You can still apply for masters in geography in some some schools with easy admission but no/less funding.

Your profile is good but your choice program is not too good. Although i wont try it if i were you, You can take the risk and apply with it. Perhaps your home tie and good grace will work for you.

Answer 1: Great but risky because of choice program.
2: great decision. They will serve as strong home tie. But I hope you prove enough fund for them too. You need sparkling account for this. You just gats prove they will survive well when you are away.

3: I think it is too early. You may wait till early March at least. Or risk this program now while trying to get masters or PhD admission. Although I am not sure that your professional MGIS can get you PhD admission, considering that it is part time too.

4: any I guess.

Parting advise: Get Master admission instead.
Get a letter of introduction (with official letterhead o)and study leave from your office.
Build your account to have more money, and that of your dad.
Apply early April for september.
If only you can try get master admission. Sad. cry

Be cautioned before relying completely on my advice. I am just an ordinary admission seeker.
Wish you the best! cool

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Oladimejii(m): 7:39am On Jan 05, 2017
Thank you.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Oladimejii(m): 7:46am On Jan 05, 2017
Wow! I may know you, sir. I'd visit your 'location' so we could talk more about this.

Thanks for your advice. Grateful.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Oladimejii(m): 8:10am On Jan 05, 2017
Thank you.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by atrapon(m): 8:37am On Jan 05, 2017
Hello e bosses ,I want to apply for online TRV now,I printed my statement of of account on 19th of December ,I hope it's still valid
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by chigrad: 8:56am On Jan 05, 2017
please someone help me with an answer. Thanks
chigrad:
Good day everyone, I got admission to TRU Canada and would want to start my VISA application this Jan, precisely next week. would like to know if:
Applying second week in Jan is safe in getting my VISA, as I am expected to resume in May.
Secondly I intend printing my statement of account before paying the fees. But this would be done same day. Is it safe to do such.
Thirdly, must I show receipts of landed property?
I would appreciate your kind responses. Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Eraytee: 9:03am On Jan 05, 2017
Hello peeps, please i have a question to ask, is there any issue for newly wedded who wants to study in Canada bearing in mind no kids yet cox d marriage is just few months to the time of visa application. Wife has a good paying job dat can actually stand as no issue with finances while d husband is away studying. Husband too has a good paying job. Pls i need ur opinion on this.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Eraytee: 9:07am On Jan 05, 2017
chigrad:
please someone help me with an answer. Thanks

2. There is no harm in doing that with d best of my knowledge, nobody can see beyond ur SOA, so u can only b accesed based on what u submit. So i'll say go ahead with that.

3. If u av landed property do good to add dem, dey serve as secondary home-tie.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Eraytee: 9:10am On Jan 05, 2017
atrapon:
Hello e bosses ,I want to apply for online TRV now,I printed my statement of of account on 19th of December ,I hope it's still valid

Do good to print an updated and most recent SOA since u r submitting ur app soon, atleast let dis month b included.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by ifydio(m): 9:26am On Jan 05, 2017
Hello house
LC gave me an extention till 15 January after which if the visa isn't out i will defer to may. Since my application have passed the normal processing time of 14weeks, is it save to send message to the embassy and also inform them of the development with the school? Resumption was 2nd this month and I applied for visa 21 September
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by yorex2011: 9:57am On Jan 05, 2017
Hello Everyone, does anyone know the current exchange rate for canadian dollars, more specifically has anyone paid application fees recently with lets say GTbank and how much were you charged for a canadian dollar. thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Yelowfellow: 10:17am On Jan 05, 2017
yorex2011:
Hello Everyone, does anyone know the current exchange rate for canadian dollars, more specifically has anyone paid application fees recently with lets say GTbank and how much were you charged for a canadian dollar. thanks

Paid app fee with GTB a few days ago, I was charged about 244 per CAD.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by penitential(m): 10:24am On Jan 05, 2017
1. You can apply next week.
2. Yes! You can print the statement of your account and go ahead to pay your tuition fees (even if CIC decides to confirm your statement of account, it will reflect that the reduction in your account balance is used for tuition fee payment )
3. Add receipts of landed properties you have as it will;
I. Serve as home ties
ii. It will cancel out the option of the V.O ticking 'applicant financial assets...' column for you.
chigrad:
Good day everyone, I got admission to TRU Canada and would want to start my VISA application this Jan, precisely next week. would like to know if:
Applying second week in Jan is safe in getting my VISA, as I am expected to resume in May.
Secondly I intend printing my statement of account before paying the fees. But this would be done same day. Is it safe to do such.
Thirdly, must I show receipts of landed property?
I would appreciate your kind responses. Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by penitential(m): 10:27am On Jan 05, 2017
It won't.
It helps increase your chance of TRV approval using your wife as home tie. Having kid (s) only increases your chances the more but not having does not decreases it @all.
Goodluck.
Eraytee:
Hello peeps, please i have a question to ask, is there any issue for newly wedded who wants to study in Canada bearing in mind no kids yet cox d marriage is just few months to the time of visa application. Wife has a good paying job dat can actually stand as no issue with finances while d husband is away studying. Husband too has a good paying job. Pls i need ur opinion on this.

(1) (2) (3) ... (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) ... (405)

General German Visa Enquiries Part 3 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.