Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? (24808 Views)

Poll: Who is better between Drogba and Torres?

Drogba: 53% (57 votes)
Torres: 46% (49 votes)
This poll has ended

Chelsea To Sell Torres For £15 Million ? / Drogba Vs Rooney: Who Is Better? / Drogba Vs Rooney: Whose Absence Will Have More Influence On The Team? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Gekko(m): 4:38pm On Oct 05, 2009
Im sorry but this an easy one, strength over flash. Drog is way more ambitious and deliver results. Its the difference btw bringing a sharp knife and a cannon to a fight.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Sauron1: 7:19pm On Oct 05, 2009
Steve Wilson's(BBC) verdict:

I've set myself this challenge with a certain amount of trepidation. This self-appointed task is to choose between the three strikers who I feel are the Premier League's best.

It's really a pub debate with myself, and a bit of fun for whoever might feel moved to chip in and tell me where I'm wrong.

The three I am thinking of are Wayne Rooney, Didier Drogba and Fernando Torres.

I've started a row with myself already. What about the skills of Adebayor? Why not the searing pace of Agbonlahor or the intelligence of Van Persie? What of Tottenham's trio of Jermain Defoe, Robbie Keane and Peter Crouch?

Then there is Louis Saha and Darren Bent, who have both had such fine starts to the season. And I haven't even mentioned Eduardo, Tevez, Robinho, Berbatov or Carlton Cole.

We have got such an array of fabulous talent in front of goal in the Premier League, but, for me, Rooney, Drogba and Torres are a cut above.

Now, how to choose? In true tabloid style, I am going to select five categories and award marks out of 10.

To decide on categories, I have consulted with Mark Bright. Here's what we came up with.

FINISHING

Torres - most at home inside the penalty area where he accelerates and glides past defenders with fantastic poise.
He has the ability to find his spot with either foot and is great in the air, too. 9/10

Drogba - maybe less of a penalty box predator than Torres, but he can unleash immense power from outside the box.
Comfortable on either foot, tremendous in the air and, of course, uses his strength to terrorise defenders. 9/10

Rooney - his goal-attempts are almost always on target as he performs the simple and sublime in front of goal.
He may not be quite as effective as Torres or Drogba in the air but is a danger to goalkeepers from almost anywhere. 9/10

Fernando Torres - deadly with either foot and great in the air

TEAM CONTRIBUTION

Torres - Liverpool's system allows him to rely on others to do much of the hard work outside the box. But you couldn't call him a shirker. 7/10

Drogba - is often Chelsea's best defender of set-pieces, with his power and ability in the air, and since Luiz Felipe Scolari left his attitude has been spot on. 8/10

Rooney - he is a fantastic creator of goals for others as well as scorer of goals for himself.
He was often used as a left-sided attacker last season, when Ronaldo played as the centre forward.
His willingness to track back is legendary. But his tackling sometimes leaves room for improvement. 9/10

Dider Drogba - an asset in defence as well as attack

PACE

Torres - blistering acceleration with balance makes marking him as hard as catching a fish by hand. 9/10

Drogba - he's quick enough when it matters, though it's his strength which makes him so fearsome. 8/10

Rooney - probably lacks the acceleration of Torres, but his ability to be in the right place at the right time is uncanny. 8/10

Wayne Rooney - not as pacy as Torres but pops in the right place at the right time

DISCIPLINE

Torres - gets frustrated with team-mates on occasion but rarely gets angry with opponents or referees.
He seems to be the model pro when it comes to keeping cool. 9/10

Drogba - his red card in the Champions League final against Manchester United and antics after the Barcelona semi show that Drogba will on occasion lose his head. 7/10

Rooney - he does seem to have worked on his tendency to lose his temper, but it's something which has been played on by opponents in big matches. 7/10

STAYING FIT

Torres - it's a nagging worry for Liverpool fans who saw Torres miss so much of last season with hamstring injuries, mostly sustained whilst playing for Spain. 7/10

Drogba - not quite so indestructible as his physique would suggest, but then he is six years older than Torres and seven older than Rooney.
As a result, he has been getting kicked for longer. 8/10

Rooney - he is harder to stop than the Terminator.
He just keeps on playing week in, week out, never losing his edge or consistency. 9/10

So the totals - and as I write this I haven't a clue what they will be,
Torres --- 41/50
Drogba --- 40/50
Rooney --- 42/50

More arguments, please.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Ibime(m): 7:42pm On Oct 05, 2009
~Sauron~:

Steve Wilson's(BBC) verdict:

More arguments, please.

What do you expect from an English journalist.

Steve Wilson is an idiot.

We are comparing Torres and Drogba, this one dey call Rooney name.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Sauron1: 7:57pm On Oct 05, 2009
Ibime:

So you think in all around play. . . . .Drogba is better than Rooney?
I laugh in Mandarin. grin
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by chic2pimp(m): 8:28pm On Oct 05, 2009
Ibime:

Don't mind them jare. Rooney ko Cocoon ni *Shior*

Too much hype.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by chic2pimp(m): 8:37pm On Oct 05, 2009
Cristalz:

Fernando has got in-built quality skillz and absolute class. All you've gotta do is watch him when hez rolling.
Dribbling, football intelligence, agility, scoring.  .  .hez pure genius. His problem is his fragility. Also, once he is tightly marked, hez quiet.

I guess we both have definitions of what a genius is? undecided   Panache Yes,Genius Nope.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Sauron1: 11:58pm On Oct 05, 2009
chic2pimp:

Too much hype.

Wazza is a genius.
On his day, he contributes to the team more than Drogba or Torres.
I wanna see Drogba play as a winger like Wazza does sometimes.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by mystikal(m): 12:23am On Oct 06, 2009
Drogba is 31
Torres is 25
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Krayola(m): 12:35am On Oct 06, 2009
Current form Drogba is the best striker of them

Wayne Rooney is a better all round player IMO.

I think Torres is the best striker of them all but he hasn't done the business this season so he's headed down my list.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by jalether(m): 1:02am On Oct 06, 2009
~Sauron~:

Wazza is a genius.
On his day, he contributes to the team more than Drogba or Torres.
I wanna see Drogba play as a winger like Wazza does sometimes.

Yep you are right but I think the poster is comparing their striking abilities ( who is a better striker) in that sense El Nino edges both

Drogba n Shrek cheesy out
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Sauron1: 1:10am On Oct 06, 2009
Krayola:

Current form Drogba striker is the best of them

I think Torres is the best striker of them all but he hasn't done the business this season so he's headed down my list.

They are all different type of strikers.
It's so difficult to say who's the best cos they all have their different strengths and weaknesses.
If i were a manager though, i will buy Torres.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by chic2pimp(m): 4:25am On Oct 06, 2009
Krayola:

Current form Drogba is the best striker of them

8 GOALS SCORED IN 8 LEAGUE GAMES

~Sauron~:

Wazza is a genius.
[b]On his day, he contributes to the team more than Drogba or Torres.[/b]I wanna see Drogba play as a winger like Wazza does sometimes.
Ibeg to differ. Drogba IMO contributes more to the team when onsong.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Sauron1: 12:32pm On Oct 06, 2009
chic2pimp:

Ibeg to differ. Drogba IMO contributes more to the team when onsong.

Wazza contributes more.
He has played in every position for Man Utd.
Last season, he made Maicon, Cissokho, Lennon and many other stars look like idiots on the wings.
He attacked and defended like a stallion. . . . .Rooney made Ronaldo look better than he was in 2007/8 season.
Those 42 goals were because of Rooney worked tirelessly for the good of the team.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Krayola(m): 12:56pm On Oct 06, 2009
chic2pimp:

8 GOALS SCORED IN 8 LEAGUE GAMES

haha. I've only seen 2 liverpool games this season but most of Arsenal, Chelsea and united games. If he is doing so well how come all the people are comparing him to zombies? This NL sef. It's impossible to get unbiased opinions here. Anyone wey dey come here for info go juss lost inside all the propaganda.

I don't comment on stuff I don't see (unless i'm taking cheap shots at gooners or anyone yabbing Adebayor grin) which is why I can't really yab your precious juve and Milan. I only watch highlights cause there are other games on at the same time.

Wouldn't that make Torres the highest goal scorer in the EPL right now?
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by chic2pimp(m): 5:00pm On Oct 06, 2009
Krayola:

haha. I've only seen 2 liverpool games this season but most of Arsenal, Chelsea and united games. If he is doing so well how come all the people are comparing him to zombies? This NL sef. It's impossible to get unbiased opinions here. Anyone wey dey come here for info go juss lost inside all the propaganda.
Well,that's NL for you wink.

Krayola:

Wouldn't that make Torres the highest goal scorer in the EPL right now?

Yes it does. He is one goal ahead of Bent & two goals ahead of drogba.

~Sauron~:

Wazza contributes more.
He has played in every position for Man Utd.
Last season, he made Maicon, Cissokho, Lennon and many other stars look like idiots on the wings.
He attacked and defended like a stallion. . . . .Rooney made Ronaldo look better than he was in 2007/8 season
Those 42 goals were because of Rooney worked tirelessly for the good of the team.
You and I must have been watching different matches cuz on my t.v screen,it was Cissokho who made your team look like dolts. As for making Maicon look like an idiot? undecided yea rite,keep telling ya self that.

I also don't buy into the arguement that Rooney's tireless work made Ronny look better. His work certainly did help the team.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Sauron1: 5:34pm On Oct 06, 2009
chic2pimp:

You and I must have been watching different matches cuz on my t.v screen,it was Cissokho who made your team look like dolts. As for making Maicon look like an idiot? undecided yea rite,keep telling ya self that.

United became the first club to beat Porto in Portugal because of Wayne Rooney.
SAF had him on the left wing and he had Cissokho in his pocket throughout the game.
HULK was fed scraps and he was ineffective.

I also don't buy into the arguement that Rooney's tireless work made Ronny look better. His work certainly did help the team.

How many assists did Rooney cop in 2007/8 compared to Ronaldo(who's supposed to be a winger)??
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by chic2pimp(m): 5:50pm On Oct 06, 2009
~Sauron~:

United became the first club to beat Porto in Portugal because of Wayne Rooney.
SAF had him on the left wing and he had Cissokho in his pocket throughout the game.
HULK was fed scraps and he was ineffective.
United became the first english team to beat Porto in portugal because of RONALDOOOO not Rooney.

TBH,the match itself was drab. The only players that stood out were the central defenders of both teams.

~Sauron~:

How many assists did Rooney cop in 2007/8 compared to Ronaldo(who's supposed to be a winger)??
Fair enough,Rooney had more assists but he DID NOT make Ronaldo look better.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Sauron1: 5:57pm On Oct 06, 2009
chic2pimp:

United became the first english team to beat Porto in portugal because of RONALDOOOO not Rooney.

Did you watch the first leg at OT??
It was Ronaldo's fault Porto got an equaliser. Giving the ball away and NOT tracking back to retrieve it.
Ronaldo was a liability defensively.

Meanwhile Dayokanu(A staunch Anglophobe) said this: Maicon was completely disgraced by Rooney. he couldnt do anything all night both attacking and defending.

Rooney was tracking back and dispossesing maicon like he was a cripple.

Go and watch the match again Man Utd 2 Inter 0
  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-274347.0.html#msg3898954
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by chic2pimp(m): 6:22pm On Oct 06, 2009
~Sauron~:

Did you watch the first leg at OT??
It was Ronaldo's fault Porto got an equaliser. Giving the ball away and tracking back to retrieve it.
Ronaldo was a liability defensively.

Meanwhile Dayokanu(A staunch Anglophobe) said this: Maicon was completely disgraced by Rooney. he couldnt do anything all night both attacking and defending.

Rooney was tracking back and dispossesing maicon like he was a cripple.

Go and watch the match again Man Utd 2 Inter 0
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-274347.0.html#msg3898954
While it might have been ronaldo's fault that you guys conceded an equalizer,he was also the reason you guys won @ porto. Without his magic,the match would have ended in a draw.

Admittely,Maicon did not have the best of games @ old trafford because he was double teamed by evra & rooney however he was inter's main attcking threat @ the san siro. I'm still not buying the 'Rooney made Ronaldo look better' story.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 06, 2009
The topic is about
Drog and Torres not Rooney and CR7.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Sauron1: 7:14pm On Oct 06, 2009
BlueDiva:

The topic is about
Drog and Torres not Rooney and CR7.

Torres is the more accomplished striker.
He can use both legs effectively and equally dangerous in the air.
If he is at United, he would be scoring 50 goals per season.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 06, 2009
Granted, Torres is clinical in his finishing.

Drog is more than a striker.
He's got strength, helps the defence, not easily marked out etc.

Best EPL strikers IMO
Drog
Rooney
Torres
Adebayor. . .
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by tkb417(m): 2:43pm On Oct 08, 2009
~Sauron~:

Torres is the more accomplished striker.
He can use both legs effectively and equally dangerous in the air.
If he is at United, he would be scoring 50 goals per season.
phew!!

I need to produce the BB messages this London boi sent to ma fone concerning Torres
sauron is just like weather

very inconsistent

i bind you from arguing with me again or i use a sledge hammer on ur face tongue
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Sauron1: 2:48pm On Oct 08, 2009
tkb417:

phew!!

I need to produce the BB messages this London boi sent to ma fone concerning Torres
sauron is just like weather

very inconsistent

i bind you from arguing with me again or i use a sledge hammer on your face tongue

Which BB messages are we talking about.
The argument here is Drogba Vs Torres. . . . .Not Torres vs David Villa.
Of course, most managers will buy Torres before considering Drogba. . . .Players like Torres are a dying breed.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by tkb417(m): 2:50pm On Oct 08, 2009
@Topic
If im supposed to be managing real madrid or any other money spinning club

my strikers will be Drogba and Torres
or Drogba/Villa, or Torres/Villa

another good striker is etoo

Those 4 are the best in the world

in EPL, its
Drogba
Torres
and others

~Sauron~:

Which BB messages are we talking about.
The argument here is Drogba Vs Torres. . . . .Not Torres vs David Villa.
Of course, most managers will buy Torres before considering Drogba. . . .Players like Torres are a dying breed.
quoting you now Sauron
the BB message that said "Torres is shyte abeg"

did you send that to ma fone or not?

is that not contradictory to what you posted above?
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Sauron1: 2:53pm On Oct 08, 2009
tkb417:

quoting you now Sauron
the BB message that said "Torres is shyte abeg"

did you send that to ma fone or not?

is that not contradictory to what you posted above?

I did send that message to you and that was based on his overall performance against Chelsea.
Of course, he was a military-grade shit against Chelsea but i cannot hang him based on one performance.
His overall performance since joining the EPL is miles ahead of Drogba's. YES or NO?
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by dayokanu(m): 3:05pm On Oct 08, 2009
Drogba shits on him everyday of the week
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Sauron1: 3:09pm On Oct 08, 2009
dayokanu:

Drogba shits on him everyday of the week

Jesus Wept!!!
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by jaybee3(m): 3:11pm On Oct 08, 2009
for Epl, drogba is way better cos of his physicality
any other league torres a million miles
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by Sauron1: 3:12pm On Oct 08, 2009
jay bee:

for Epl, drogba is way better cos of his physicality
any other league torres a million miles

His physical side of the game is overrated.
Drogba is NOT better than Adebayor.
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by tkb417(m): 3:13pm On Oct 08, 2009
i pick Drogba anytime

Sauron
your message wasnt based on the game against Chelsea alone

You said the guy gets bullied on the ball everytime
If Pool dont play well, he doesnt play well
you said "Torres is shyte abeg"
you even compared him with Rooney whom we both agreed is shytty nowadays grin abi na lie

i know what to do when next we are arguing.

should we go to our thread and start the Evans /Foster thing?
i feel like arguin today grin
Re: Drogba Vs Torres. Who's The Best? by tkb417(m): 3:13pm On Oct 08, 2009
~Sauron~:

His physical side of the game is overrated.
Drogba is NOT better than Adebayor.
here comes another one
hehehe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Chelsea Vs Maccabi Tel Aviv: UCL (4 - 0) On 16th September 2015 / Northampton Town Vs Manchester United :League Cup (1 - 3) On 21st Sept 2016 / Southampton Vs Manchester City - ( 1 - 0) - Live

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.