Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,049 members, 7,863,728 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 02:30 AM

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) - Satellite TV Technology (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) (250761 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (170) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olason(m): 11:02am On Oct 29, 2009
Adexxy, tanks my man am doin ok. @majeeky, 2 ad 2 wat George d said use srt 4650 and u must b very patience while doin d tracking. d tp 4 2m national doesn' tpop out like d ones 4 sirius, nile, w3a etc.once u start seeing ur signal qty increases a little, hold it there, and wait 4 sum secs and c d signal jump out. as at last mine was at 62%qty though on 1.8m. wit 90cm ur signal would around 54-58% qty.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olason(m): 12:07pm On Oct 29, 2009
All, pls anybody currently watching Badr 4 at 26.E east? kindly drop d strongest tp for tracking it.tanx in advance.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by majekky: 2:16pm On Oct 29, 2009
Thks Yall 4 ur response & i hope with all this info i will Overcome Eutelsat w6. 1 luv bros, Peace Out
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 3:46pm On Oct 29, 2009
twinstaiye:

@George_D
Thanks for the info, I will contact you when I am not faint hearted financially very soon grin I am really and highly interested.

@Oga Twins,
I think we all just need to be more informed about alternative power. The more knowledge people have about it, the more they will come to appreciate it as the best-and you do not have to be a millionaire to own a reliable system.

For instance consider the cost of buying an original honda or yamaha petrol gen set of say 5.5kva. You will need not less than 250k to 350k. Then talk of fueling, oil and maintenance over a period of five years and you realise it's not the cheaper option that most people think it is.

If you live in an area where phcn do ration public power like one day in and one day out, and you're sure of at least 3 hrs of steady light every other day, you will never need to run any generator. That is because on days when you have power, your inverter is busy charging up. On alternate days when there is blackout, while other of your neighbours are busy fighting with their gen sets and filling up petrol you are sitting in the comfort of your living room with your inverter suppying back up power. The cycle repeats itself every two days.

Recently, I was doing some calculations on the amount I spent in aquiring my inverter system (minus the solar modules which I just added) and I realised that it had paid for itself over a period of two yrs and what I'm now using is free electricity! smiley
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by zenus(m): 4:24pm On Oct 29, 2009
@Oga George_D

I thought Thread on inverter is going on somewhere

I bought mine (600V) which i use with 100h battery, b4 moving to 2KVA. With 600V which is about 20,000 or 25,000. One can use it to power it's decoder, TV, fan and bulb. and with the battery of 100h with 3 - 4 hrs charge, u can also use it for about 6 - 8 hrs
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by twinstaiye(m): 4:33pm On Oct 29, 2009
@George_D
Truth is, most of the times, we hardly try alternatives to power since we have been made to believe so much in Gen sets.  A quick thinking about your submission above clearly give me a rough idea of wastages in terms of spending on power by my entire households. ! giant gen set, 2 other small ones, 2 UPS are my source of power, and I spend averagely on fuel each week like 3,000.  If I had been in the known, it would have suffice for me to go for Inverter at a go.
Thanks for sharing.

@zenus
Our discussion on inverter is not offtopic on this thread, besides, we are merely mentioning its usefulness to FTA which I think is very important.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by jayron(m): 4:58pm On Oct 29, 2009
@ twinstaiye

Oga taiye, did u see my post. Am sure u did, can i count on u for tutorial before this friday. I need ur words b4 i emback on installation of my 1.2m strong dish.

As for my 2.4m i prefer to do that some other time. Reason for that, is that the NIGHT BOYZ are now on operation in my area n i dont want what will attract them to my house cos if i continue on installing it, i would have total of 4 - 5 dish in my house (60cm,80cm,90cm,1.2m,2.4m).

Seen the first three dish, people kept on asking if i wanted to show match, this made me to suspend installation of my 2.4m till december.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by jayron(m): 5:06pm On Oct 29, 2009
@George_D

Pls dont forget me on saturday. If that day wount be convienent for me i would let u know then we shift it to Sunday.

I may use my number or Visa phone to call u.

My honourable, i remain loyal o.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 5:07pm On Oct 29, 2009
@jayron,
You can do away with all those smaller dishes and replace them with your motorized 2.4m. It will save you a lot of space and it's more convienient. I used to have many smaller dishes littered about the compound just like you have now until I saw reason to do away with them and install a motorized system. As for the bad boys, don't worry too much about them because they will not see your house.

And, yes. No wahala. Saturday is your day of success! smiley
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by jayron(m): 5:14pm On Oct 29, 2009
@ George_D

Amen, thank u for ur advice. Had ealier planned for that but a friend of mine discourged me from motorising my dish.

He said if i do, i may not get some of the Aljazeera sport channels, also that the jack or something may got burnt which may force me to remove it.

My honourable for being the one of the most respected instructor in this forum, i would like u to advise me on whether to motorise or not.

Thanks u.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 5:49pm On Oct 29, 2009
@jayron,
When you continue listening to these folks who don't know better, you're only wasting your time and you will get yourself confused further. These guys don't know one quarter of the info we take for granted in this forum and rather than asking their opinion, they should be coming to you for lectures by now.
Now to your question, you will not lose any aljazeera channels-if you motorize your dish properly. As long it can track the arc perfectly, every possible bird within your horizon is game!
And also for the jack, as long as you use a good condition regular 24 inch jack, you don't have to worry about it getting burnt. My own dish has been installed for almost a year now and my jack is still working fine.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olason(m): 7:36pm On Oct 29, 2009
All, Dstieves currently open. enjoy while it last.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by alancruise(m): 10:06pm On Oct 29, 2009
@all is it true dat Gtv ghana is back on astra 2b? Multi tv orbit?Pls help confirm?
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by mickyhans(m): 10:15pm On Oct 29, 2009
@Alacruise
I can comfirm that GTV Ghana is back on Astr 2B Multi TV position on this tp 12.572 (V) 2.854
Enjoy
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by konami001: 10:16pm On Oct 29, 2009
@George_D

Your post about Inverter/Solar system has really made me to realise how much of my hard earned money goes into providing electricity for my household. I think we use approximately 25 litres of fuel every 2 days and have to stay in killing darkness whenever there is fuel scarcity which as I am writing this is currently the case in my town. I am very interested in having this setup and would love to know where I can purchase the various components needed, Thanks for touching this very important aspect of the life of a Nigerian,
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Adeexy: 11:23pm On Oct 29, 2009
@all
GTV is back confirmed it didn't come up with blind scan, dont know if its my receiver.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Emeritus153: 3:15am On Oct 30, 2009
@george, i will consult u anytime am ready for that economical inverter.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by toxnaija: 3:18am On Oct 30, 2009
microgiant,
I am sorry that i wont be of help.I am not leaving for Nigeria as my research will take over 3years here.I will tell you if I can get someone going home for Xmas but I doubt it.

badaru/george,
have you got any news on Predator?
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by emexi: 5:59am On Oct 30, 2009
@george d, is your nilesat motorised.have you seen anyone with motorised setup, who is able to track both,, east and west , please confirm,

@eduzo , oga long time, how you de, [color=#990000][/color]
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by alancruise(m): 7:00am On Oct 30, 2009
@all, i still dey jungle! Pls help confirm, any new station on sirus 4?
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by jayron(m): 8:50am On Oct 30, 2009
@George_D

What a good motivator, thank u for all ur effort and words of encouragement u give all on this thread. I will make preparation for that, may be against December when i beleive we would be on break.

Nailing at least three bird on saturday is paramount now, my preparation is as if am about writing ICAN exam (I wish myself good luck)

Am always grateful, may u live and neva stumble.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by captainus: 9:06am On Oct 30, 2009
@Jayron,
just to add to what George-D said, I've had my motorised dish for alomst 4 years now and my jack is still fine.Get the right(genuine) satellite equipment and you are good to go.No wahala.Of course with the voltage fluctuation in africa you may need to protect it with say stabilizer, surge protector e.t.c.
So my brother go on and motorised and you will enjoy FTA better
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by zenus(m): 9:20am On Oct 30, 2009
@all
More live matches this weekend on W3A via GO

Man u vs Blackburn
5:30 pm

Malaga vs Valencia
8:00 pm

Stuttgat vs B/Munic
2:30

all on Saturday 1/11
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 9:24am On Oct 30, 2009
@jayron,
I know you will pass your ICAN because God is on your side. And also listen to what captainus has just said. Motorised is the way to go as far as FTA is concerned.

@emexi,
My nilesat is motorised but I only use the jack to re-track it back to position anytime there is heavy wind. My COMSTAR however is fully motorised for but KU and C-band DTH beams.
There are good members on the forum who have motorised pan dishes-an example being olofofo in lagos. He recieves multiple satellites east and west including hotbird and nilesat on the same dish. Maybe he will be in a better position to tell you the benefits of a motorised solid dish.

@toxnaija,
How obodo? I've not heard any new stuff on predator other than what is already available in the group. Will keep you posted if anything new turns up.

@all,
What happened to adewest our pioneer fta guru? He has been silent for too long.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 9:52am On Oct 30, 2009
zenus:

@Oga George_D

I thought Thread on inverter is going on somewhere

I bought mine (600V) which i use with 100h battery, b4 moving to 2KVA. With 600V which is about 20,000 or 25,000. One can use it to power it's decoder, TV, fan and bulb. and with the battery of 100h with 3 - 4 hrs charge, u can also use it for about 6 - 8 hrs

@zenus,
What is the use of having a thousand FTA stations with no power to watch them? Most folks run their gen sets for upwards of 12 hours just to stay glued to their favourite stations. And DSTV subscribers are more fond of doing that maybe because they feel they must use their monthly subscription while it still counts.
Now, imagine using back-up power from your battery bank to achieve this? Imagine using power directly from the sun to run your fan/ac and tv sets while tuned to cine afrik while your neigbours sweat inside thier stuffy rooms?
As oga twins said, you need stable power supply to enjoy the full benefits of FTA and that is all what I've been trying to highlight.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by henarus: 10:46am On Oct 30, 2009
i call that so many people are very much interested in this FTA stuff to unhook from payed channels. and with this fta spreading like wild fire, i have this conviction that one day dstv will crash down the price of their full package monthly subscription to #2000 like mtn did after glo came on board. lets continue to share this infos in and out of this forum to all nigerians.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by jayron(m): 10:59am On Oct 30, 2009
@Oga George_D
@captainus

I dont know how much i can thank u for ur support.

My honourable would be going to Alaba on Tuesday to get somethings. Could u do me a favour by list out all i needed to motorise my 2.4m. I need the best model n their possible prices.

Kinly name them out one after the other, with prices.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by jayron(m): 11:04am On Oct 30, 2009
@Oga George_D

Sorry, i mean i would be going to Alaba (my keyboard fault)
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 11:07am On Oct 30, 2009
@jayron,
For your motorised set-up, you need just a few items, namely:

1) Positioner. Go for eurostar -around 3.5k to 4k.
2) Regular jack. Go for 24 inches super jack the best so far-around 3.5k.
3) Roll of RG6 satellite cable-around 900 naira to 1k.
4) Roll of four core jack wire. Buy the yellow type-the best. Around 1.5k.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by jayron(m): 11:18am On Oct 30, 2009
@Oga George_D

Thanks, copied that.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by zenus(m): 11:54am On Oct 30, 2009
George_D:

@zenus,
What is the use of having a thousand FTA stations with no power to watch them? Most folks run their gen sets for upwards of 12 hours just to stay glued to their favourite stations. And DSTV subscribers are more fond of doing that maybe because they feel they must use their monthly subscription while it still counts.
Now, imagine using back-up power from your battery bank to achieve this? Imagine using power directly from the sun to run your fan/ac and tv sets while tuned to cine afrik while your neigbours sweat inside thier stuffy rooms?
As oga twins said, you need stable power supply to enjoy the full benefits of FTA and that is all what I've been trying to highlight.

Respect sir,
anyway, am going in for that your panel, pls give me the address of the place u bought it  or even their website.
THanks
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 1:52pm On Oct 30, 2009
@zenus,
The guy is in lagos. Unfortunately no website but can give you the address/phone off-topic. I'm sure he'll have a package that fits your pocket since you're already on board the alternative energy train. smiley

@jayron,
I forgot to mention the lnbs you will need. Try and use a 3-in-1 lnb set-up to maximise your tracking options. And maybe that will further confound your un-informed friends the more as they may never have seen such 'strange' dish set-up. When you get to Alaba, ask for STRONG C-band lnb. Open the blue cover and look inside the throat. At the extreme end, you will see either k4 or k5 or k6 engraved on the body. Please buy the one with k6 as it will boost signal better. Also buy a Supermax extended C-band lnb and lastly add a premium lazer ku lnb and you're all set for saturday!

And, don't forget your 4-way diseqc switch! Very important. Buy STRONG 4-way diseqc instead of pauxis or supermax. It is in the market now. Or you can buy eurostar if you're lucky to find one.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (170)

All About Nilesat Installations / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] / Strong Receivers Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.