Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,770 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? (48261 Views)

Hot And Cold Stream In Ugep, Cross River State, Discovered By A Hunter / Lagos Airport Staff Who Steals Passengers' Belongings Discovered (pics, Video) / Naturalized US Citizens: Do You Get Treated/respected As A Native Born Citizen? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Teespice(f): 6:51am On Sep 07, 2016
DarryOsh:

The things people will do for cheap popularity. This question was asked on the American forum Quora. Yes, you could have asked the same question OK Nairaland but you went as far as copying one of the most upvoted answers, claiming the experience as tour own. This is deception, this is a lie. And it's just wrong!

Here's a link to the source: https://www.quora.com/Has-someone-treated-you-poorly-until-they-discovered-you-were-wealthy-and-or-successful/answers/27013430

lol.

you be real detective.

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Talius(m): 6:53am On Sep 07, 2016
SlowlybtSurely:
Mine is the complete opposite. The first impression people have of being from a wealthy background. Dem no know say shishi no gum me. cry

Even when I try to point out my #1,000 darling yaki hair and fairly used shoes/clothes, they go "yea right, you're just trying to be humble". angry

So here I am, enjoying my virtual wealth. grin

I very much can also relate to this.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by ussy09(m): 6:54am On Sep 07, 2016
The first time my wife visited my company my security man didn't let her in instead he kept her outside on a chair n ask her to Cal me out thinkin dat she dnt knw me, she didn't call too it was wen I stroll out I saw her sitting down n I asked d man u kept my wife outside wats ur reason for doin dat?
Wit out saying a word to me he went straight to her on his kneels vry funi sha.

2 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 6:58am On Sep 07, 2016
evolg:
An incident at an airport really put me off.

This one time I was traveling by a certain airline - lets call it Amirates. My flight was going to be more than 24 hours, so lets just say I was very comfortably dressed. Now I enter the airport and started walking towards the business class queue to check in my luggage. One of the staff members approaches me and tells me please join another line - the one for Economy Class passengers. I wouldn’t have had an issue but I had paid for this ticket and I did not find that reasonable. I let him know that I was heading to the correct queue. He asked me to show my ticket. I did. He says he’s sorry, puts on those happy faces, says a thing or two and tells me to have a pleasant flight.

While this might not be a big deal, I really felt bad that how people have this biased perspective on how rich and successful people are supposed to look and behave and would not accept that looks do not define a person.

Na so!!
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by engrshakespeare: 7:00am On Sep 07, 2016
SAMBARRY:
ok she thought you were probably the younger sister and someone sent you to buy those stuffs

You shouldn't have even bought anything from her and walked out

I have encountered such nasty experience.very recently about a month ago.I was on my way back home WITH my daughter when I passed by a supermarket. I saw a very beautiful clutch purse and I stopped by wanting to buy it.so I walked into the supermarket and asked how much it IS, the woman first looked at me for a few seconds and asked if I tell you the price can you buy it?I was like what is that supposed to mean then she said it's 7k.I brought out 10k and counted it in her presence. She too was using eye to count the money with ME, I said you see this money with me here, it's not going to end here. I came to buy something I fancied and instead of you to behave civil you were asking me stooped questions whether I can buy it.

She was now like Haa aunty koribe,emabinu.I said wura let's leave here joor.I went 3shops near hers to buy exactly what she was doing shakara for and deliberately passed by her shop to spite her. I made sure i didn't put the clutch purse inside a nylon so she Will see it.She nearly cried in bitterness.it was obvious She was just controlling herself

Meanwhile that's why I love the igbo spirit when it comes to entrepreneurship and attending to customers. Every customer is a king and is treated as such. Even if you don't buy and you just Window shop they will treat you like you own the world.which brings me to my last story.last week I went to price Curtains because I wanted to have an idea of how much Curtains are now.you needed to see the way this igbo guy attended to me.he was so courteous and warm.I had to tell him bros don't bring everything out I just want to know how much it is and so because of his hospitality I vowed that I will go back there and buy it which I did yesterday. However I saw other Curtains which we're relatively cheaper and finer than his but because of his pleasant customer treatment which I received from him I bought it from him

The bottonline is if you don't look down on your customers and treat them nicely even if they came to windowshop, even if your shop is under the ground they will go out of their way to find you.

I was following and enjoying your piece until you went tribal. So all Igbos treat their customers well and other tribes dont, haba. Am Igbo but this is pure lie and I have a feeling you know it too.

2 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 7:01am On Sep 07, 2016
Onegai:

One month ago, Faded polo shirt, plain cotton trousers and leather flat slippers. He was a former CBN governor. Or all the Balogun lace Madams who have spent more money ithan the average overdressed office worker in his entire lifetime but wear nothing showy. Or the billionaire lady who is always wearing Ankara till the day the driver went to pick me up and started asking if it was a Governor's house (all he saw was the garage). Or one of the quietest girls I know whose family lives in such a big house in Ikoyi that there is enough space for a football match. Old money, big money doesn't make noise. Everyone I know with foreign citizenship who spent years abroad talk normally, people on visas will be killing you with some weird amalgamation of UK, US and Naija accent to form posh. Its upper middle class people and middle class people who do their best to form, wealthy people don't. I can tell you how some billionaire's kids sound like and trust me, no unnecessary accent or flashy dressing (infact one girl saw one and yabbed him as "irresponsible-looking", then found out his father was on the list of top richest men in West Africa, high up that list too).
Quite true.But my dear many rich "old money" folks do live lavishly. I wouldn't like to call names. There are lots of them at the ikoyi boat club. BTW living in a sprawling estate in ikoyi is a way of showing off, if they wanted to be so modest why didn't they move to gbagada or Maryland and live in small 4 bedroom home there, those neighbourhoods are nice enough, don't you think.

2 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Okijajuju1(m): 7:13am On Sep 07, 2016
My experience happened in Toronto..

I come from a very large family (2 parents and 5 kids).. We had just newly landed and we're about to drop my sister off in school and handle other things as well. We looked really African in appearance in the sense that we were a large family, we weren't dressed in suits and ballroom gowns but very simple and we're just enjoying our first time in Canada.

So whilst waiting at a bus station in Hamilton, we saw a Salvation Army truck handing out food and water and other stuff to the many homeless people around and we were really impressed at their charity work.. So we started discussing amongst ourselves, pointing at the truck and gisting. One white woman who was also at the bus park walked up to us and in the most patronising voice said; "It's okay, you all can go get something to eat from the truck, it free and you don't have to worry about paying".. grin grin grin grin My mum just smiled and said o really? That's nice, thanks alot.

We didn't get a chance to set her straight though, but I can never forget that experience because if only she knew better.. grin

On that trip, we had several experiences like that even in the bank when we went to open bank accounts for everybody. I believe the simplicity of our clothes and the way we all banded together and moved together must have created the impression that we were a poor homeless family..

7 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by wickedworld: 7:14am On Sep 07, 2016
SlowlybtSurely:
Mine is the complete opposite. The first impression people have of being from a wealthy background. Dem no know say shishi no gum me. cry

Even when I try to point out my #1,000 darling yaki hair and fairly used shoes/clothes, they go "yea right, you're just trying to be humble". angry

U are funny, lucky U.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 07, 2016
SAMBARRY:
that one no get television for house abi she no dey see Oprah for tv?

I just feel the sales person just wanted to be rude. Who nor know Oprah for this world
In think the Swiss shop attendant was just racist. She assumed that a black woman wouldn't be able to afford whatever she was selling. Happens a lot

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by GodswillAJudins(m): 7:22am On Sep 07, 2016
SAMBARRY:
ok she thought you were probably the younger sister and someone sent you to buy those stuffs

You shouldn't have even bought anything from her and walked out

I have encountered such nasty experience.very recently about a month ago.I was on my way back home WITH my daughter when I passed by a supermarket. I saw a very beautiful clutch purse and I stopped by wanting to buy it.so I walked into the supermarket and asked how much it IS, the woman first looked at me for a few seconds and asked if I tell you the price can you buy it?I was like what is that supposed to mean then she said it's 7k.I brought out 10k and counted it in her presence. She too was using eye to count the money with ME, I said you see this money with me here, it's not going to end here. I came to buy something I fancied and instead of you to behave civil you were asking me stooped questions whether I can buy it.

She was now like Haa aunty koribe,emabinu.I said wura let's leave here joor.I went 3shops near hers to buy exactly what she was doing shakara for and deliberately passed by her shop to spite her. I made sure i didn't put the clutch purse inside a nylon so she Will see it.She nearly cried in bitterness.it was obvious She was just controlling herself

Meanwhile that's why I love the igbo spirit when it comes to entrepreneurship and attending to customers. Every customer is a king and is treated as such. Even if you don't buy and you just Window shop they will treat you like you own the world.which brings me to my last story.last week I went to price Curtains because I wanted to have an idea of how much Curtains are now.you needed to see the way this igbo guy attended to me.he was so courteous and warm.I had to tell him bros don't bring everything out I just want to know how much it is and so because of his hospitality I vowed that I will go back there and buy it which I did yesterday. However I saw other Curtains which we're relatively cheaper and finer than his but because of his pleasant customer treatment which I received from him I bought it from him

The bottonline is if you don't look down on your customers and treat them nicely even if they came to windowshop, even if your shop is under the ground they will go out of their way to find you.

I can humbly relate to your two scenarios,
I have observed that Most Yoruba traders or shop owners will want you to literally beg them to sell something, they see them selves as gods, their egos unerring, most of them don't appreciate customers at all, unlike their Igbo counterparts I often promise my self not to go back to their shop someone other time in the future. their non business attitude and in negotiate able manners are so unlike someone doing business. wa da fuc

4 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by redcliff: 7:33am On Sep 07, 2016
SAMBARRY:
that one no get television for house abi she no dey see Oprah for tv?

I just feel the sales person just wanted to be rude. Who nor know Oprah for this world

Lol. It seems you dont know the swiss. Apparently they think the world ends in europe and all africans who recently entered europe came by boat. Those guys are so backward socially

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 07, 2016
SAMBARRY:
abeg abeg abeg. That line is so Africanish.Mark zukerburg that came to Lagos who is worth billions of dollars came from one continent wearing shirt and jeans. If an African was worth that much we no go hear word.agbada flowing everywhere, sycophantic dancers hailing and all sort of craps that will inflate his ego

On several occasions which I later realised I have unknown walked by millionaires in just jeans shirt and palm slippers meanwhile the bank workers that earn 60k a month will wear designer suits looking like they own the world

If you judge people by how they look outwardly you will miss a lot of opportunities

My mom and I were jisting some time ago and she said millionaires, billionaires and rich guys love to dress like they're broke meanwhile you will see cleaners and low income earners in an organisation dressing like they have a lot.you will see a cleaner that earns 15k a month borrowing 40k TO buy clothes for owanmbe. Difference IS that the rich save give invest and look ordinary but the lower ones will be looking so expensive on borrowed everything
I hate when kids write what they do not know... Mark is always known for dressing that way, that's his style... That aside other billionaires dress good.... More so, the Caucasians are simple people (billionaires or not) they are less concerned about mundane titles , and are more interested in things that better their lots, over here, the greed, ego, wickedness and selfishness of an average Blackman will not allow him(reason why dey behave like animals).. It really has nothing to do with being rich... It is the attitude of blacks

3 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by solidman59(m): 7:50am On Sep 07, 2016
byvan03:
I don't know about wealthy but I went to buy kids' shoes and socks, I entered a certain kind of shop my friend recommended . She told me that they sell quality stuffs but quite pricey. When I picked a pair and I inquired about the price, the shop owner took a glance and responded " it's expensive ". I repeated " madam how much is it? ", she responded with " that shoe is 3k last ". I gave her a piece of my mind, dropped 3k on her table and threw the tiny shoes into my hand bag. I didn't bother checking out her socks. She was gushing out apology but I was already on my way.

I was a student and looked like one, so she assumed that I won't know the value of original kid's shoes or be able to pay for one.
And in her mind 3k is expensive?? ? People sha
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by redcliff: 7:51am On Sep 07, 2016
drkay:
The day I went to buy my first car. I trek to the dealers shop on a sunny afternoon with my bag strapped to my back, of course the sales girls weren't really concentrating until I requested to see their boss and made my payment thru their pos. The ladies gave me another stare when I introduced myself as Dr, I guess they were assuming I was a yahoo boy.

Dr of Wi.T cheesy
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by creepsyme(f): 7:52am On Sep 07, 2016
evolg:
An incident at an airport really put me off.

This one time I was traveling by a certain airline - lets call it Amirates. My flight was going to be more than 24 hours, so lets just say I was very comfortably dressed. Now I enter the airport and started walking towards the business class queue to check in my luggage. One of the staff members approaches me and tells me please join another line - the one for Economy Class passengers. I wouldn’t have had an issue but I had paid for this ticket and I did not find that reasonable. I let him know that I was heading to the correct queue. He asked me to show my ticket. I did. He says he’s sorry, puts on those happy faces, says a thing or two and tells me to have a pleasant flight.

While this might not be a big deal, I really felt bad that how people have this biased perspective on how rich and successful people are supposed to look and behave and would not accept that looks do not define a person.
dats human beings for you.. but ur grammer nearly fall me for ground... just joking.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by richardoz(m): 8:00am On Sep 07, 2016
KingAdegoke:
I suppose yab you but no. you fit be rich guy now na so I go take lose my money from your wallet.

well-done bros
Hmmmm sorry bro.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Layoo91: 8:04am On Sep 07, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Make we here word abeg. Once something has become the prevailing narrative everyone starts to echo it not minding whether it is true or false. How many billionaires do you know that ''dress like they are broke''. What does it even mean to ''dress like they are broke''?

dangote use to dress very simple...no chain...ordinary G boy will put on every thing on them...
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Layoo91: 8:05am On Sep 07, 2016
dangote use to dress very simple...no chain...ordinary G boy will put on every thing on them...
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by habebe1(m): 8:06am On Sep 07, 2016
There is this correlation between affluence and big body in this our country. For a slim young man like me, I feel people often look at me like you never chop bellefull. Trying to get to sky lounge at eko hotel and the security at the elevator will always block me stylishly and ask if I know where i' m going. Meanwhile fat ajebo kids, orobo madams, oyinbo etc just walk past. Mind you the floor where the lounge is cannot be accessed without having the access card which comes with having a room in the hotel. No be there fault sha, na me de lazy to hit gym.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by louismane2: 8:24am On Sep 07, 2016
kayalla:
haha, i had one, very big one.
when i was working with a Dutch dredging company in Lagos, i went to the police headquarter in ikeja, we use the mobile police in our office and accommodation in Igando area becos of the dutch expats working with us, i had gone to pay the oga at the top, cos we pay 250k every month and he doesn't want bank transactions so i go to pay cash.

i went to the office one afternoon to give him the usual, when i go to the reception, i met a lady there, i greeted and said i want to see Mr. so so, she just answered "he no dey" i said i spoke to him and he is expecting me. she asked ''for what'' i said its personal.
she just flared up and said: if its personal why did u come here, why not wait for him in ur usual hotel this is office.

i was totally shocked, cos i hadn't done anything to warrant such response and treatment.

i calmed and said, "madam, am coming from the office and ur oga is expecting me please."
she replied, madam carry ur personal business comot from here, here no be hotel wey u go come sell ur kpomo.
that didn't make sense to me tho but i got really pissed and called the oga on phone and told him that the secretary said i should go away, luckily i had witnesses who even told the oga word by word what the lady said,

immediately the oga bounced from his office and lashed the lady and told her who i was and why i was there and he fired her instantly.

when i was leaving the stupid woman held my leg and cried like a baby begging me to beg the oga.

but u know...

van holt or disn?
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by oluwasegun007(m): 8:37am On Sep 07, 2016
Well, i can't say until the money comes....
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by redcliff: 8:47am On Sep 07, 2016
solidman59:

3k 7years ago.. me sef no fit afford am. No jokes.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by ashjay001(m): 8:48am On Sep 07, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
The point of this statement eludes me. From my experience, people resort to ad hominems when they run out of things to say. Have you?

Yep! What do u say to someone who is at a different spectrum of thought from u?

U don't even get my reference to Ronchas n Chatur? All is well.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by silversonuc(m): 8:52am On Sep 07, 2016
SlowlybtSurely:
Mine is the complete opposite. The first impression people have of me is that of being from a wealthy background. Dem no know say shishi no gum me. cry

Even when I try to point out my #1,000 darling yaki hair and fairly used shoes/clothes, they go "Yea right, you're just trying to be humble". angry

sweety i like ya monicker
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by prety86: 9:06am On Sep 07, 2016
My husband has experienced such. One certain we stopped at one zenith bank at UNIZIK. Hubby wanted making a transfer, but the funny Teller refused telling him to go and met their manager for questioning.
I started laugh cos I have always told him that he is always looking like a jambite.

2 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by cindyrocks(f): 9:06am On Sep 07, 2016
I love to look very simple. It makes me to know who really love me for who I am and to avoid fair weather friends.

Nigerians love people for what they are.

3 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Tamakay(m): 9:06am On Sep 07, 2016
SlowlybtSurely:
Mine is the complete opposite. The first impression people have of me is that of being from a wealthy background. Dem no know say shishi no gum me. cry

Even when I try to point out my #1,000 darling yaki hair and fairly used shoes/clothes, they go "Yea right, you're just trying to be humble". angry

I relate with u. This is really affecting me in my place of work right now. People see me as this big boy because of dressing, look, maturity and vast knowledge of issues. So most time they described me as d dictionary. My problem now is, when it comes to benefits Oga at d tops simply waves he's a big boy and will skip me. So these days most times, I don't shave my beards in fact I have decided to do the opposite and I think I am getting d result I wanted gradually.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by prety86: 9:07am On Sep 07, 2016
My husband has experienced such. One certain day we stopped at one zenith bank at UNIZIK. Hubby wanted making a transfer, but the funny Teller refused,telling him to go and met their manager for questioning.
I started laughing cos I have always told him that he is always looking like a jambite.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by dokiOloye(m): 9:17am On Sep 07, 2016
engrshakespeare:

I was following and enjoying your piece until you went tribal. So all Igbos treat their customers well and other tribes dont, haba. Am Igbo but this is pure lie and I have a feeling you know it too.
Observe very carefully, Igbo traders tend to be very polite in their dealings with their customers esp d owners of d shop,not their sales girls/boys.
I was brought up in d east,there is this street in my town filled with 2,3 and 4 storey buildings.The shops downstairs are usually owned by d landlady.
If U come to buy as little as sachet water of #10(was #5 per piece then),the madam will keep petting U."Thank U my son,do U need a leather bag?" good night my son".
All for 10 naira sachet water.
But when I came to live in Abj,I was schocked by d rudeness of d itinerant hausa traders.Immediately they see U with 1k note,they'll arrogantly dismiss U citing lack of change,even when they have enuf change on their hand and U are seeing it.
But an Igbo man will first of all collect Ur money,then both of U will start looking for d change.If U both can't find it,he/she will try to coax U into buying something else or coming back for Ur change later.
Men,give it to d Igbo traders in terms of customer relationship.

7 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by eyinjuege: 9:18am On Sep 07, 2016
solidman59:

You don't know how many years ago she was talking about, so you can't really say. It could have been 15 years ago
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by FODA(m): 9:18am On Sep 07, 2016
Mine came when I was a corper in owerri.wanted to buy a particular blackberry charger,approached the shop with my kaki,and picked up the ogbonge charger,thee attendant call me back"oga dat one no be for corper na 1200 go and pick dat blue one na 200 naira"i was like ayemi oh.i just put my hand in my pocket dolled out 1500 for her with anger.thank God say na alawi week.

5 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by kaziblake(f): 9:27am On Sep 07, 2016
ButterFrost212:

So in other words you're rich and this thread is for rich people who have been mistreated? Oh well, I shouldn't be here then.
Abi o...lemme carry my bag and shift

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Tony Erondu, Peace Mass Accident Victim, Mourned By Family & Friends / Road Sign Slices Through A Driver's Car In The UK (Pictures) / The Moment Air Niugini Plane Crashed Into Sea In Micronesia, Papua New Guinea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.