Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,621 members, 7,816,562 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce (32523 Views)

Reactions To Fuel Scarcity Under Jonathan (Photos) / Patience Jonathan, Ben Bruce At Halima Babangida's Wedding In Minna (Photos) / Jonathan & Ben Murray-bruce At The Burial Of Alamiyeseigha (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by mmsen: 12:52pm On Sep 08, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:
apologies.. Thats for people who didn't support the policy.
The ban was for everyone, even though corruption didn't let the policy take its full effect. E.g, Import waivers for government agencies.

so, how is it anyone's fault that you refused to see what the government is doing but only wants to hear about problems going presently..

You see want you want to see my friend.

Last week, we saw agric minister distributing free seeds to farmers, nope, that is non of your business.

The insecurity, like book haram affecting our farmers and investors in the north has been thoroughly dealt with to a large extent.. Oh that one is not big deal.
But the economy saboteur of naija delta should be praised.

The news about refineries and modular ones being built, nope you don't care.
Our refineries are still working till today, though not at full capacity, can we say the same in 2014.

What about BVN that single handedly put a close end to ghost workers draining the nations wealth

What about TSA?

What about on going infrastructural project, e.g Lagos Ibadan express way? Abuja Ilorin jebba, Oyo to ogbomosho.
I guess those ones are propaganda even when its happening right in your nose..

What about power project like the one in Benin?

They are about to commence mabilla project that has been their since 1982 and no government deemed it fit to lay down a stone. A plant which would easily be the biggest hydro plant in Africa.
But do you care about that one? I don't think so.

You see what you want to see my friend.

BVN was introduced under GEJ.

Lagos - Ibadan expressway.

In fact everything that you listed that is positive is a left over from the previous 'corrupt' administration. Especially the agricultural and transport policies.

Which refineries are still working now? What is their capacity and how much are they producing?

The farmers in the North East where people are allegedly dying of malnutrition? Or the farmers who are being chased from their farms by violent Fulani herdsmen? Either you are lying or every media house and the various NGOs and international aid agencies are lying...

Why would there be any IDP camps if the Boko Haram issue has been dealt with?

Where did I praise any economic saboteurs? I see what you are doing, throwing in foolish statements that I did not make in a vain attempt to divert the conversation. It just confirms that you do not have a valid point to make. Everything that you've said can easily be rebutted by the truth.

If this administration had a workable plan Nigeria's economy would have not have contracted under this government. They would have simply continued the good policies from the previous government, assuming that was their plan.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by FunkyMetahuman: 1:01pm On Sep 08, 2016
mmsen:

BVN was introduced under GEJ.

Lagos - Ibadan expressway.

In fact everything that you listed that is positive is a left over from the previous 'corrupt' administration. Especially the agricultural and transport policies.

Which refineries are still working now? What is their capacity and how much are they producing?

The farmers in the North East where people are allegedly dying of malnutrition? Or the farmers who are being chased from their farms by violent Fulani herdsmen? Either you are lying or every media house and the various NGOs and international aid agencies are lying...

Why would there be any IDP camps if the Boko Haram issue has been dealt with?

Where did I praise any economic saboteurs? I see what you are doing, throwing in foolish statements that I did not make in a vain attempt to divert the conversation. It just confirms that you do not have a valid point to make. Everything that you've said can easily be rebutted by the truth.

If this administration had a workable plan Nigeria's economy would have not have contracted under this government. They would have simply continued the good policies from the previous government, assuming that was their plan.

having a good idea is different from implementing a good idea.

while I admit that Jonathan had good ideas, did he have the balls to implement any of them?

he had good plans to build second niger bridge.. ( I remember the famous quote) i will go into exile if I didn't build second niger bridge. where is second Niger bridge today?

they gave shitload of excuses and reasons why that haven't done anything on Lagos Ibadan for 16years.. a project that shouldn't take 2 or at most 3years.

they had good idea of improving electricity, all they could deliver for 16years was less down 3000mw after spending enough money to build 30000 megawatts.

they had wonderful idea of ending corruption with technology, while he gave our treasury to the likes of dasuki.

they had good ideas about saving for raining days when oil will be useless, but they had zero will to do it. - okonjo iweala.

and you think Nigerians should praise them for having ideas but abandoning the ideas?

shiitttttt grin
critical thinking ..

do you even know the meaning of idp camps? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by mmsen: 1:19pm On Sep 08, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:

having a good idea is different from implementing a good idea.

while I admit that Jonathan had good ideas, did he have the balls to implement any if them?

he had good plans to build second niger bridge.. ( I remember the famous quote) i will go into exile if I didn't build second niger bridge. where is second Niger bridge today.

they gave shitload of excuses and reasons why that haven't done anything on Lagos Ibadan for 16years.. a project that shouldn't take 2 or atmost 3years.

they had good idea of improving electricity, all they could deliver for 16years was less down 3thousand dollars after spending enough money to build 30000 megawatts.

they had wonderful idea of ending corruption with technology, while they give our treasury to the likes of dasuki.

they had good ideas about saving for raining days when oil will be useless, but they had zero will to do it. - okonjo iweala.

and you think Nigerians should praise them for having ideas but abandoning the ideas?

shiitttttt grin
critical thinking ..

do you even know the meaning of idp camps? undecided

I wonder what happened under OBJ that electricity supply is where it is too and I don't believe that they had a good idea to tackle Nigeria's electricity problem. Anything other complete decentralization of the system is foolish. Let each state generate its own power and attract investors. Then we shall see more clearly who is moving forward and those who proudly live in the 19th century.

I feel that OBJ was simply an extension of the military era. There is no way that such a character should have been president in a democratic nation, likewise Buhari. We saw that when he tried to run for a third term on the sole basis that he kept the nation together and managed to save money all whilst failing to improve infrastructure.

Like it or not, when looked at objectively GEJ's administration did more during his tenure than any other government in Nigeria's history. There was a clear detachment between GEJ's PDP government and that of OBJ which is why the latter attacked the former as much as he did.

When the previous administration removed subsidy did the current charlatans in power not initiate protests?

And Dasuki was in a position where he would legally have access to that money, that he took and used it for non-security related purposes is tragic but should be dealt with in court. You will never end corruption or any other manner of crime. Human beings make bad decisions and it is for the courts to deal with those who break the law.

As to your comment about NOI saving money, she did. The problem is that a cabal of governors sued for that money which they then squandered. The likes of Amaechi and the criminal in Edo state. What did Rivers state do with the money? What of Katsina? What do they ever do with the money that they receive.

Former Finance Minister, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala regarding how lack of political will negatively impacted national savings over the past few years” he said, adding that contrary to the slant given by these loud headlines, Okonjo-Iweala did not indict the Jonathan administration in which she served.

“Rather, she was referring to what many Nigerians already know: the strong opposition by some governors to the Jonathan government’s efforts to save in the Excess Crude Account and the Sovereign Wealth Fund sabotaged this important national priority,” the former minister’s aide said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/04/15/okonjo-iweala-did-not-indict-jonathan-administration-aide/
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-09-21/nigerian-state-governors-to-return-to-court-against-wealth-fund

It's clear that your knowledge of past events is incomplete. I suggest you read up on what happened and not fall into the habit of listening to rumor as is the case in a nation obsessed with religious myth. Learn the truth and you can prescribe correct solutions but when you base your reality on lies, mythology and rumor any prescribed solutions are likely to be erroneous.

You keep repeating that phrase, 'critical thinking' but your responses suggest that you yourself have no clue what that means. Learn to think for yourself. Learn to absorb a breadth of opinions and commentaries and refrain from believing political jargon and you will see how wrong you are in your (adopted) analysis.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Pavarottii(m): 1:54pm On Sep 08, 2016
omofunaab:

And who told you am an Apc supporter.. .
It's only an APC supporter that will say PDP crumbled the country or did nothing for 16years
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by prince985(m): 2:02pm On Sep 08, 2016
KINGwax007:
adult, what is this you have written?

No punctuation, bad English and no sense.

Even a kid wld write better..

Look at u..
yh no sense but d post gat 127 likes, how many did urs get? In ur face lipsrsealed
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by KINGwax007(m): 2:05pm On Sep 08, 2016
prince985:
yh no sense but d post gat 127 likes, how many did urs get? In ur face lipsrsealed
'125 likes' and still counting. How many did yours get?

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Nobody: 2:18pm On Sep 08, 2016
divinehand2003:
Lol
I dey laugh oooo
What kind of progress took place during the administration of the Clueless one?
You must be day dreaming Mr Ben. Wake up joor and stop spilling lies that are unfounded and ridiculous.
se na now we progress?ApC loyalist
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Gwangwadangwa77: 2:41pm On Sep 08, 2016
yes because comparing jona with bubu makes jona an automatic success
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Henrichemeka(m): 2:50pm On Sep 08, 2016
Go ahead, i support you
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by FunkyMetahuman: 2:50pm On Sep 08, 2016
mmsen:

I wonder what happened under OBJ that electricity supply is where it is too and I don't believe that they had a good idea to tackle Nigeria's electricity problem. Anything other complete decentralization of the system is foolish. Let each state generate its own power and attract investors. Then we shall see more clearly who is moving forward and those who proudly live in the 19th century.

I feel that OBJ was simply an extension of the military era. There is no way that such a character should have been president in a democratic nation, likewise Buhari. We saw that when he tried to run for a third term on the sole basis that he kept the nation together and managed to save money all whilst failing to improve infrastructure.

Like it or not, when looked at objectively GEJ's administration did more during his tenure than any other government in Nigeria's history. There was a clear detachment between GEJ's PDP government and that of OBJ which is why the latter attacked the former as much as he did.

When the previous administration removed subsidy did the current charlatans in power not initiate protests?

And Dasuki was in a position where he would legally have access to that money, that he took and used it for non-security related purposes is tragic but should be dealt with in court. You will never end corruption or any other manner of crime. Human beings make bad decisions and it is for the courts to deal with those who break the law.

As to your comment about NOI saving money, she did. The problem is that a cabal of governors sued for that money which they then squandered. The likes of Amaechi and the criminal in Edo state. What did Rivers state do with the money? What of Katsina? What do they ever do with the money that they receive.

Former Finance Minister, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala regarding how lack of political will negatively impacted national savings over the past few years” he said, adding that contrary to the slant given by these loud headlines, Okonjo-Iweala did not indict the Jonathan administration in which she served.

“Rather, she was referring to what many Nigerians already know: the strong opposition by some governors to the Jonathan government’s efforts to save in the Excess Crude Account and the Sovereign Wealth Fund sabotaged this important national priority,” the former minister’s aide said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/04/15/okonjo-iweala-did-not-indict-jonathan-administration-aide/
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-09-21/nigerian-state-governors-to-return-to-court-against-wealth-fund

It's clear that your knowledge of past events is incomplete. I suggest you read up on what happened and not fall into the habit of listening to rumor as is the case in a nation obsessed with religious myth. Learn the truth and you can proscribe correct solutions but when you base your reality on lies, mythology and rumor any prescribed solutions are likely to be erroneous.

You keep repeating that phrase, 'critical thinking' but your responses suggest that you yourself have no clue what that means. Learn to think for yourself. Learn to absorb a breadth of opinions and commentaries and refrain from believing political jargon and you will see how wrong you are in your (adopted) analysis.
like I said..

you only see what you wanted to see.

when amaechi and other PDP governors sued and shared the money, why didn't federal government saved its 51% share?
what happened to the federal governments 51%? what was it used for?
if fg had saved out of it's share, buhari will see it today, and we will divert all.our abuse to him.

do you even know what triggered the sue? you must have ignored that one cos it didn't suit you.

why was federal government borrowing to pay salary when oil was still 70$ / barrel if they have done wonderful job with the economy under Jonathan?
why are we still importing rice and flours in 2016, if the past governments had put proper measure to ensure self sufficiency ?

Jonathan didn't do more than obasanjo considering the amount of money they both controlled.. in fact, obasanjo still remained the most visionary president we ever had, forget his mistakes.
with the little obj, he saved more than enough for yaradua to get us of of 2007 oil doom. no debt with huge external reserve..
that's a president with balls..
and most of the projects we are talking about today started from the days of obasanjo.
he had those ideas.
even railway transformation started with him.
don't compare sleep and death.

as for electricity, only federal government has the power to handle it, (states dont have financial muscle unless we go back to regional government) plus stable power is not rocket science. build more power plants and enhance distribution.
everyone will have power.
central government handles power in China.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Temmymulla(m): 3:26pm On Sep 08, 2016
Those of you supporting "BullHarry" will cry last last...
tiwaz:
Ben Murray-Bruce, the outspoken senator representing Bayelsa east, on Wednesday said Nigeria made progress under former president Jonathan “Because he took responsibility and never blamed anyone for the challenges he met.”

Mr. Bruce, in a series of tweets said Jonathan praised his predecessors, adding that progress cannot be made “on reverse gear”.

He wrote: “Do you know why Nigeria was progressing under Jonathan? Because he took responsibility and never blamed anyone for the challenges he met.”

“Ask yourself when @GEJonathan ever blamed his predecessors. Instead of blaming them, he praised them. You can’t go forward on reverse gear!”

http://www.ngyab.com/news/why-nigeria-was-progressing-under-jonathan-ben-bruce/

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 08, 2016
Alas the common sense did not last, who blames when the going is good, who blames when oil was the higher than under any of your predecessors?
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by mmsen: 3:44pm On Sep 08, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:
like I said..

you only see what you wanted to see.

when amaechi and other PDP governors sued and shared the money, why didn't federal government saved its 51% share?
what happened to the federal governments 51%? what was it used for?
if fg had saved out of it's share, buhari will see it today, and we will divert all.our abuse to him.

do you even know what triggered the sue? you must have ignored that one cos it didn't suit you.

why was federal government borrowing to pay salary when oil was still 70$ / barrel if they have done wonderful job with the economy under Jonathan?
why are we still importing rice and flours in 2016, if the past governments had put proper measure to ensure self sufficiency ?

Jonathan didn't do more than obasanjo considering the amount of money they both controlled.. in fact, obasanjo still remained the most visionary president we ever had, forget his mistakes.
with the little obj, he saved more than enough for yaradua to get us of of 2007 oil doom. no debt with huge external reserve..
that's a president with balls..
and most of the projects we are talking about today started from the days of obasanjo.
he had those ideas.
even railway transformation started with him.
don't compare sleep and death.

as for electricity, only federal government has the power to handle it, (states dont have financial muscle unless we go back to regional government) plus stable power is not rocket science. build more power plants and enhance distribution.
everyone will have power.
central government handles power in China.

You talk of the money that the states sued for but what did those states do with the money? Rivers state is notoriously wasteful, especially under Amaechi - what did he do with the money? We know that the money was not saved because they then demanded bail out funds. And why did you refer to 'PDP governors'? Are you going to lie that no APC governors were part of the suit? That none called for bail out funds? How do you differentiate between APC and PDP when much of the APC was in the PDP just a few years back, including Amaechi?

Some states are more than capable of handling power generation - Lagos, AKS, CRS, Rivers, Delta could handle their own power needs if they were not forced to feed that power back into a national grid that is shared amongst less productive states. The question should be how the other states can be brought up the speed without handicapping those that generate sufficient power to supply businesses and homes locally. We should also ask why certain states have no done nothing to increase their electricity generation while others have - what are such states doing to attract businesses to their environment if they cannot provide power? Do you not think it laughable that a nation the size of Nigeria is trying to maintain a national grid? You used China as an example without understanding that China does not have a national grid. The imposition of a national grid is symptomatic of the other issues within Nigeria, a diverse nation laboring under a destructive unitary system imposed and kept in place by those with ties to the military governments of the past.

You ask why Nigeria was/is still importing rice and flour when it was the previous administration (GEJ's) that instituted reforms in the agricultural sector. GEJ's government encouraged casava use instead of imported wheat, which is what a responsible government should do. Why did OBJ's administration not have such visionary ideas? Why did he fail to implement such if he did? Which new policies does this current administration have to increase agricultural output?

Why is it that you are so pro-OBJ and so anti-GEJ when the former has been a member of Nigeria's corrupt criminal elite for much longer?

Or have you forgotten that he was also a member of the crooked military establishment that destroyed Nigeria for decades?

Why do you not ask yourself how himself and Atiku came be so fabulously wealthy as public servants?

Why did OBJ push for a third term if he was such a 'visionary'? Which of his policies shows that he was 'visionary'?

Under GEJ was when Yaba became a tech hub, what is the current administration doing to increase ICT skills and access?

Nigeria became the largest economy in Africa under GEJ, they at least had the sense to rebase the economy - why did OBJ not deem such necessary?

Why did GEJ preside over freest, fairest elections in Nigerian history whilst OBJ presided over electoral fraud?

You say that I only see what I desire to see but from what you say it appears that you walk around blind. The level of ignorance that you display with your responses is astounding to me.

You ask me if I know what an IDP camp is - it means that those people are not able to return to their lands. Many of them are farmers, or so they claim. That fact completely negates whatever point you thought you were making about increased output. Yet another lie that you have posted without shame.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Abagworo(m): 3:48pm On Sep 08, 2016
jaybee3:

Currency pegging is a common practice within export dependent economies.
However, it was necessary to peg our currency since we lack basic infrastructures as well as being unable to produce enough food to sustain the economy. Allowing Naira to free float would be suicidal considering we are import dependent.

That's what Buhari is tackling. We should stop being import dependent so that corruption encouraging policies must stop. Pegging of Naira creates room for corruption as top men with access to the subsidized Dollar will simply be buying at official price and selling to black market. People should manage what we have and never depend on outsiders.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by cleavon(m): 4:26pm On Sep 08, 2016
Mr... while didnt you pay ur loan during Gej era or is it that you are not progressing the way Nigeria is progressing?
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by FunkyMetahuman: 4:26pm On Sep 08, 2016
mmsen:

Some states are more than handling power - Lagos, AKS, CRS, Rivers, Delta could handle their own power needs if they did not need to feed that power back into a national grid that is shared amongst less productive states. The question should be how the other states be brought up the speed without handicapping those that generate sufficient power to supply businesses and homes locally. We should also ask why certain states have no done nothing to increase their electricity generation while others have - what are such states doing to attract businesses to their environment if they cannot provide power? Do you not think it laughable that a nation the size of Nigeria is trying to maintain a national grid? You used China as an example without understanding that China does not have a national grid.
You mentioned 5 states out of 36 and you think we should shift the burden of power to states are still struggling to pay salary excluding the infrastructural decay in those states.. (You smart) lol
Have you been able to bring your state government up to speed about road that passed through your house?

You ask why Nigeria was/is still importing rice and flour when it was the previous administration (GEJ's) that instituted reforms in the agricultural sector. Why did OBJ's administration not have such visionary ideas? Why did he fail to implement such if he did? Which new policies does this current administration have to increase agricultural output?
I only asked where the reform is..
After 6years of reformation/ transformation, we shouldn't be talking about importing rice and wheat in 2016.
Or did buhari destroy rice and wheat farms here in Nigeria?
Or you want to tell me Nigeria didn't import rice at all under gej?

Why is it that you are so pro-OBJ and so anti-GEJ when the former has been a member of Nigeria's corrupt criminal elite for much longer?
I'm not pro obj.. In fact I hated obj and still do. He had so many opportunity to set nigeria on the right path but refused to.. But still better than gej in all ramifications.
In the end, both are just waste of space.
The 16years of ediots.

Or have you forgotten that he was also a member of the crooked military establishment that destroyed Nigeria for decades?
You see.. Blaming the military but we are not allowed to blame pdp.
I admit military left Nigeria in bad shape for many years, but why didn't PDP obj/gej fix those problems but left us with time bomb.

Why do you not ask yourself how himself and Atiku came be so fabulously wealthy as public servants?

Why did OBJ push for a third term if he was such a 'visionary'? Which of his policies shows that he was 'visionary'?

yeah.. All part of PDP the of thief thief 16years we are talking about.
If I list obj's visions you will still deviate with another meaningless excuses like you did when I posted what buhari is doing.

Under GEJ was when Yaba became a tech hub, what is the current administration doing to increase ICT skills and access?

well I never said Jonathan didn't achieve anything.. He just didn't do enough with all the money in his possession..
Plus obj launched Nigeria's first satellite into space .. Whats your point?

Plus Nigeria became terrorist nation under gej, did we do anything about it?

Nigeria became the largest economy in Africa under GEJ, they at least had the sense to rebase the economy - why did OBJ not deem such necessary?
yeah after rebasing GDP from 1991. I guess Jonathan was president since 1991.

Why did GEJ preside over freest, fairest elections in Nigerian history whilst OBJ presided over electoral fraud?
Actually, 1994 election was tagged the freest and fairest election.
Well I still say kudos to gej for at least not allowing bloodshed and leaving the post when he was booted out. and i also say booooooo to obasanjo. That's one of the bug mistakes by obj that made me hate the ediot.

You say that I only see what I desire to see but from what you say it appears that you walk around blind. The level of ignorance that you display with your responses is astounding to me.
you keep jumping from pillar to post..
I answered your questions .. You will perambulate again and bring about a new set of meaningless set of questions without answering mine.

As you can see.. I'm not talking from an angle of blind support for anyone.

I campaigned and voted Jonathan in 2011. I supported all his policy until I saw he's just another political crook and that was around 2014.

By 2018, if buhari proves he has nothing to offer, I will gladly campaign for someone else unlike you lot that see things only from sentimental point of view.

I'm pro Nigeria and not pro government..

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 08, 2016
Tell them Ben. A man is bound to fail when he complians of not having much even when he has everything.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by samtoye(m): 4:31pm On Sep 08, 2016
Brilliantly written. Nigerians are Nigeria's problem. It's a case of cognitive dissonance amongst those who we are expecting to be our last wall of defence! If comments I read here are from the elite generation , then there is no hope for Nigeria !

PassingShot:
You'd think being educated translates to being well informed. Unfortunately the first doesn't guarantee the later.
Anyone who keeps saying we should stop blaming GEJ is being economical with the truth. The truth is GEJ wrecked Nigeria with his handling of the economy. He didn't have to blame anyone before him because NO ONE ELSE had been so clueless, dull and Ineffectual as himself.

If we still have any truly sane man doubting that Nigeria would have been long grounded had GEJ managed to rig himself in, such person needs to be constantly reminded where the Ineffectual Buffoon left us:
1. The IB was already borrowing to pay salaries when crude was selling at $75 per barrel. At $40 per barrel, what miracle will he have done?

2. The paper Economist, who supervised crashing of the economy clearly stated that Nigerians should brace up for tough times ahead the moment crude fell to around $65 per barrel. Does tough times mean merry making times at $40 per barrel?

3. Despite earning unprecedented amounts from crude, the IB couldn't grow our reserves but even embezzled what he met.

4. About 28 of 36 States were owing their workers for up to eight months in some cases and there was already hunger in the land. Why didn't GEJ bail them out? Had Buhari not come to intervene just about three months into his tenure, what would have happened to those workers then?

Recently, the Gele woman who couldn't choose to resign to protect her name, revealed in a well publicized video that GEJ had zero will to save. Where there's shame, she will apologize to Nigerians for wasting our resources in times of abundance.

Nigerians indeed lack capacity for critical thinking. And it's the reason we will continue to be taken for a ride by the looters. We see those who genuinely are working for our betterment as enemies while blindly praising the real enemies as benefactors just because of crumbs of today. This is indeed very shameful!
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by MrSly(m): 4:56pm On Sep 08, 2016
Ken4Christ:
Buhari has a track record for failure. The same thing happened when he was military head of state in 2003. So many that voted for him were not born then or too young to know what happened. The person who actually ran the government then was his vice, Idiagbon.
I am not a fan of Buhari, never! But the facts in post is frightening. Did you actually write this? why not ask Google some questions prior.
Was buhari a head of state in 2003?
Ken4Christ:
Buhari has a track record for failure. The same thing happened when he was military head of state in 2003. So many that voted for him were not born then or too young to know what happened. The person who actually ran the government then was his vice, Idiagbon.
I am not a fan of Buhari, never! But the facts in this post is frightening. Did you actually write this? why not ask Google some questions prior.
Was buhari a head of state in 2003?
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 08, 2016
kally90:
At least I ate three times a day under Gej.That's was a progress for me.
are you starving now?
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by mmsen: 5:28pm On Sep 08, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:

You mentioned 5 states out of 36 and you think we should shift the burden of power to states are still struggling to pay salary excluding the infrastructural decay in those states.. (You smart) lol
Have you been able to bring your state government up to speed about road that passed through your house?

I only asked where the reform is..
After 6years of reformation/ transformation, we shouldn't be talking about importing rice and wheat in 2016.
Or did buhari destroy rice and wheat farms here in Nigeria?
Or you want to tell me Nigeria didn't import rice at all under gej?

I'm not pro obj.. In fact I hated obj and still do. He had so many opportunity to set nigeria on the right path but refused to.. But still better than gej in all ramifications.
In the end, both are just waste of space.
The 16years of ediots.

You see.. Blaming the military but we are not allowed to blame pdp.
I admit military left Nigeria in bad shape for many years, but why didn't PDP obj/gej fix those problems but left us with time bomb.

yeah.. All part of PDP the of thief thief 16years we are talking about.
If I list obj's visions you will still deviate with another meaningless excuses like you did when I posted what buhari is doing.

well I never said Jonathan didn't achieve anything.. He just didn't do enough with all the money in his possession..
Plus obj launched Nigeria's first satellite into space .. Whats your point?

Plus Nigeria became terrorist nation under gej, did we do anything about it?

yeah after rebasing GDP from 1991. I guess Jonathan was president since 1991.

Actually, 1994 election was tagged the freest and fairest election.
Well I still say kudos to gej for at least not allowing bloodshed and leaving the post when he was booted out. and i also say booooooo to obasanjo. That's one of the bug mistakes by obj that made me hate the ediot.

you keep jumping from pillar to post..
I answered your questions .. You will perambulate again and bring about a new set of meaningless set of questions without answering mine.

As you can see.. I'm not talking from an angle of blind support for anyone.

I campaigned and voted Jonathan in 2011. I supported all his policy until I saw he's just another political crook and that was around 2014.

By 2018, if buhari proves he has nothing to offer, I will gladly campaign for someone else unlike you lot that see things only from sentimental point of view.

I'm pro Nigeria and not pro government..

Your ability to reason is faulty.

Those 5 states have more dynamic leadership than that in the rest of the country. It is about responsibility. AKS for example has excellent roads and a power system that would allow it to thrive on its own, sadly it's saddled by the rest of Nigeria and states such as Katsina, Sokoto and Borno that are functionally useless. CRS is another good example of a dynamic state, they too have taken the initiative in generating power. The question is why others have not. You have managed to turn the question around because (and I repeat) you fail at logic. If Nigeria is to be a federation then each state has to pull its weight, each state should be looking to generate income and power for it's own needs. That is what a functioning federation would be. As it is Nigeria is not functioning because a great many states, especially in the North, are happy to leech from the proceeds of the South.

As to your PDP vs military government comment. How can you fail to see that as bad as any PDP government has been none was as bad as the military. The military could not even provide security with all the religious pogroms in the North, armed robbery and communal violence.

I did not say that you should not blame PDP - I simply asked how you differentiate between PDP and APC when they have had so many common members? Also, how can the government of GEJ and PDP be considered the same when the differences between the two were so stark - OBJ was the traditional overbearing yet useless African head of state, while GEJ was and was a democratic president who knew how to put a team together.

GEJ was not perfect, none of us are but he was the best that Nigeria has had because he had the sense to put together an all star team to drive the nation forward. What has Buhari done? Why did it take him 7 months to piece together such a useless cabinet? Have you listened to his foolish minister of finance, the same lady that drove Ogun state into bankruptcy? Or his idiotic minister of communications? If you knew how stupid he is compared to his predecessor, Omobola Johnson, then you wouldn't dare defend Buhari. Amaechi as minister for transport? Does that sound like an informed choice or someone returning a favour?

Nigeria in 2014 was significantly better than Nigeria as it was in 1999. Only a blind man would fail to see that. The democratic governments of the past 17 years have been better than the military, until now. This government is worse than Abacha or even Babangida in terms of economic devastation caused by poor policy decisions.

Africa's biggest, most dynamic economy that was attracting investment from everywhere has now ground to a halt and has in fact contracted and you are talking about GEJ. Oil is only 15%, that is not enough to destroy the whole economy. Why did his predecessors not see fit to rebase when other nations have the sense to rebase more often? How can you grow an economy when you don't measure the economy? Why was GEJ the only (or first) rational president in over two decades?

Buhari has long shown that he has nothing to offer anyone. He has no idea on economy or social policy. He was an Islamic candidate until he joined forces with the ACN to become a reformed democrat, making outlandish promises that he has never once come close to fulfilling, yet here you are hoping that he comes good on his promises like a blind akuya.

What happened to the millions of jobs that he said he would create within his first year? What of his N1 to $1? The electricity supply that Fashola claimed he would increased has dropped monumentally and yet you are here talking about giving them time? By their own words they are failures. It was clear that they were lying when they made these campaign promises and it is evident now. Boko Haram that they claim to have vanquished is still keeping people away from their homes and farms.

And Nigeria did not just begin to suffer with terrorism under GEJ. You are very fond of lies. Boko Haram were founded under Yar'adua's moribund term. Besides, Boko Haram is simply a continuation of the extreme, violent Islam that northern Nigeria has labored under for hundreds of years since the days of Usman Dan Fodio. Nothing has changed besides the date.

P.S.
I see you've squeezed in yet another lie into your mythology - that the 1993 (not 1994) elections were the freest and fairest which is simply not possible considering the difference in technological capacity of INEC vs NEC. But I'm sure you'll stick to that lie as you have done to the various other falsehoods that you keep regurgitating.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Nobody: 5:29pm On Sep 08, 2016
mmsen:

You talk of the money that the states sued for but what did those states do with the money? Rivers state is notoriously wasteful, especially under Amaechi - what did he do with the money? We know that the money was not saved because they then demanded bail out funds. And why did you refer to 'PDP governors'? Are you going to lie that no APC governors were part of the suit? That none called for bail out funds? How do you differentiate between APC and PDP when much of the APC was in the PDP just a few years back, including Amaechi?

Some states are more than capable of handling power generation - Lagos, AKS, CRS, Rivers, Delta could handle their own power needs if they were not forced to feed that power back into a national grid that is shared amongst less productive states. The question should be how the other states can be brought up the speed without handicapping those that generate sufficient power to supply businesses and homes locally. We should also ask why certain states have no done nothing to increase their electricity generation while others have - what are such states doing to attract businesses to their environment if they cannot provide power? Do you not think it laughable that a nation the size of Nigeria is trying to maintain a national grid? You used China as an example without understanding that China does not have a national grid. The imposition of a national grid is symptomatic of the other issues within Nigeria, a diverse nation laboring under a destructive unitary system imposed and kept in place by those with ties to the military governments of the past.

You ask why Nigeria was/is still importing rice and flour when it was the previous administration (GEJ's) that instituted reforms in the agricultural sector. GEJ's government encouraged casava use instead of imported wheat, which is what a responsible government should do. Why did OBJ's administration not have such visionary ideas? Why did he fail to implement such if he did? Which new policies does this current administration have to increase agricultural output?

You ask me if I know what an IDP camp is - it means that those people are not able to return to their lands. Many of them are farmers, or so they claim. That fact completely negates whatever point you thought you were making about increased output. Yet another lie that you have posted without shame.
you can lie for Africa, Obasanjo introduced the use of cassava in making bread.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by mmsen: 5:36pm On Sep 08, 2016
franciskaine:
you can lie for Africa, Obasanjo introduced the use of cassava in making bread.

Encouraged =/= introduced.

Learn to read, you dummy.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 08, 2016
mmsen:

you can so distort facts. Under GEJ Yaba became tech hub grin
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by histemple: 5:46pm On Sep 08, 2016
mesoprogress:
Tell them Ben Bruce! Buhari employed misfits as ministers and turn around to blame Jonathan. Lawyers are his ministers for power and communication, a Dr his labor minister. Round peg in a square hole.

Nigeria's failure is buhari's own making, even if Gej saved $100B for him, hunger will still kill ppl in his administration. He's just a misfit, wonder what Nigeria will look like in 2019. May God help us

The head of Buhari's economic team is a Lawyer and pastor without any knowledge of how the economy operates, very laughable and regrettable.

But then, what else can we expect from an illiterate?
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 08, 2016
mmsen:

freest and fairest election indeed! grin it seems d figures from Kano, Enugu, Rivers etc did not surprise you. You can't even lie sef, very poor way of lying.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by chalondk(m): 6:05pm On Sep 08, 2016
divinehand2003:
Lol
I dey laugh oooo
What kind of progress took place during the administration of the Clueless one?
You must be day dreaming Mr Ben. Wake up joor and stop spilling lies that are unfounded and ridiculous.

Look at this learned fellow..... what do you call our previous state when placed in contrast with our present one?
At least things where moving forward. Be honest
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by boninho: 6:06pm On Sep 08, 2016
There was laxity and carelessness towards management of resources during GEJ's tenure. The two factors that made the masses not to feel it were

The price of oil in the world market was still relatively high (on average 100dollars per barrel)

The Niger deltans were not damaging the pipelines

...this is economics, Nigeria is oil and oil is Nigeria....more than 80% of what we consume are imported, without dollars circulatiing, trading becomes difficult; businessmen cant import. CBN can only print naira, not dollars. Dollars come from oil exports....now if the oil price crashes, the economy is doomed, let alone when the avengers are seriously affecting production output that at least could have helped to soften the blow (about 1.2trillion naira has been lost due to the vandalism)

The one major mistake Buhari made was to close down the Maritime university and slash down their allocated budget which made them to feel marginalized and unleash that mayhem on the major oil pipelines and terminals

So, he has made some crucial wrong decisions but the fact is that he cant perform magic, there will never be significant economic progress until oil price stabilizes. For the people talking about diversification, how much money will cocoa, tin and co generate and moreover the impact can only be felt in like 5years time at least.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by divinehand2003(m): 6:10pm On Sep 08, 2016
chalondk:

Look at this learned fellow..... what do you call our previous state when placed in contrast with our present one?
At least things where moving forward. Be honest

I beg mention only one aspect we visibly progressed in the past administration. I can't wait to hear oooo.

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by bashydemy(m): 6:21pm On Sep 08, 2016
This BMB is mad again, His predecessors never loot the treasury dry, They left a huge amount of money in Foreign reserve for him so how will he blame anyone?
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by ChessEnthusiast: 6:29pm On Sep 08, 2016
PassingShot:
You'd think being educated translates to being well informed. Unfortunately the first doesn't guarantee the later.
Anyone who keeps saying we should stop blaming GEJ is being economical with the truth. The truth is GEJ wrecked Nigeria with his handling of the economy. He didn't have to blame anyone before him because NO ONE ELSE had been so clueless, dull and Ineffectual as himself.

If we still have any truly sane man doubting that Nigeria would have been long grounded had GEJ managed to rig himself in, such person needs to be constantly reminded where the Ineffectual Buffoon left us:
1. The IB was already borrowing to pay salaries when crude was selling at $75 per barrel. At $40 per barrel, what miracle will he have done?

2. The paper Economist, who supervised crashing of the economy clearly stated that Nigerians should brace up for tough times ahead the moment crude fell to around $65 per barrel. Does tough times mean merry making times at $40 per barrel?

3. Despite earning unprecedented amounts from crude, the IB couldn't grow our reserves but even embezzled what he met.

4. About 28 of 36 States were owing their workers for up to eight months in some cases and there was already hunger in the land. Why didn't GEJ bail them out? Had Buhari not come to intervene just about three months into his tenure, what would have happened to those workers then?

Recently, the Gele woman who couldn't choose to resign to protect her name, revealed in a well publicized video that GEJ had zero will to save. Where there's shame, she will apologize to Nigerians for wasting our resources in times of abundance.

Nigerians indeed lack capacity for critical thinking. And it's the reason we will continue to be taken for a ride by the looters. We see those who genuinely are working for our betterment as enemies while blindly praising the real enemies as benefactors just because of crumbs of today. This is indeed very shameful!
I wish I could like this post over and over and over and over again. You pretty much captured everything. I don't expect dummies flat heads and those pussy voters who didn't know why they voted change to understand, instead, they'd rather insult the hell out of you.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by bashydemy(m): 6:43pm On Sep 08, 2016
mesoprogress:
Tell them Ben Bruce! Buhari employed misfits as ministers and turn around to blame Jonathan. Lawyers are his ministers for power and communication, a Dr his labor minister. Round peg in a square hole.

Nigeria's failure is buhari's own making, even if Gej saved $100B for him, hunger will still kill ppl in his administration. He's just a misfit, wonder what Nigeria will look like in 2019. May God help us

Lol @ bold carefully look to the list below..

1.. Musiliu Obaniko- (Minister of State for defense) Is he a military man?

2..Barrister Emeka Wogu - (Minister for Labour) He is a Lawyer

3..Mrs. Stella Oduah-Ogiemwonyi- (Minister for Aviation)- She Study accounting and Bus Admin

4.. Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke- (Minister for Petroleum) She study Architecture.

The list is endless .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Funke Akindele: My 20 Million Social Media Fans Will Vote For Me (Video) / Kano Gov’ship: ‘you Lost But Made Moves To Hijack Power,’ Sanusi Mocks Ganduje / Obasanjo's Son, Olujonwo Blast Mother, Ms Taiwo - Stop Disgracing Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.