Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,500 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce (32519 Views)

Reactions To Fuel Scarcity Under Jonathan (Photos) / Patience Jonathan, Ben Bruce At Halima Babangida's Wedding In Minna (Photos) / Jonathan & Ben Murray-bruce At The Burial Of Alamiyeseigha (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by coolplanet: 11:07am On Sep 08, 2016
PassingShot:

All what APC promised cannot be delivered. And it's same throughout the world. And whatever they promised was within their four year term. Not two years.

I've been voting since 1992 general elections. I campaigned and voted for MKO. That should give you an idea of my age.

I guess u knew they gave ultimatum on their promises despite knowing the economy was in recession.Till now,no one day meal for children in schools.No policy set out being achieved.was it operated same way in America during their own recession way back? Dont forget fashola said a reasonable govt should give power in 6months.I guess he knows better now.I equally campaigned for MKO.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by kally90(f): 11:10am On Sep 08, 2016
divinehand2003:
Lol
I dey laugh oooo
What kind of progress took place during the administration of the Clueless one?
You must be day dreaming Mr Ben. Wake up joor and stop spilling lies that are unfounded and ridiculous.
At least I ate three times a day under Gej.That's was a progress for me.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by mmsen: 11:11am On Sep 08, 2016
spartan50:

Why support him if you think he is an extension of the military era.
Look you are biased in your judgement and I think you should be more concerned about the economic policies this current government are implementing.
It makes no sense at all! And you know it but keep mute about it. Don't support this. The truth is your saviour is dumb and lost, so are his followers.

Where did I profess support for OBJ or Buhari?

My point about not being able to eat money is in response to people who argue that OBJ grew foreign reserves when it was more important for Nigeria to build infrastructure and bring in policies that would lead to improvements in quality of life (which he did not do).

And it's clear that Buhari is completely useless but I've known that for years. It is only because the ACN united with CPC that Buhari was given any credibility outside of the North.

You have misread everything that I wrote.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by mmsen: 11:12am On Sep 08, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:
policies like?

Like his foolish FOREX policy.

Subsidising consumption by way of cash hand outs for those in poverty.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by divinehand2003(m): 11:15am On Sep 08, 2016
kally90:
At least I ate three times a day under Gej.That's was a progress for me.

If your GEJ was still in power today, I bet you would have nothing to eat at all.
Remember that he agreed with the wrong notion that stealing is not corruption. Hence the high and mighty would have stolen everything by now
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 08, 2016
PassingShot:
You'd think being educated translates to being well informed. Unfortunately the first doesn't guarantee the later.
Anyone who keeps saying we should stop blaming GEJ is being economical with the truth. The truth is GEJ wrecked Nigeria with his handling of the economy. He didn't have to blame anyone before him because NO ONE ELSE had been so clueless, dull and Ineffectual as himself.

If we still have any truly sane man doubting that Nigeria would have been long grounded had GEJ managed to rig himself in, such person needs to be constantly reminded where the Ineffectual Buffoon left us:
1. The IB was already borrowing to pay salaries when crude was selling at $75 per barrel. At $40 per barrel, what miracle will he have done?

2. The paper Economist, who supervised crashing of the economy clearly stated that Nigerians should brace up for tough times ahead the moment crude fell to around $65 per barrel. Does tough times mean merry making times at $40 per barrel?

3. Despite earning unprecedented amounts from crude, the IB couldn't grow our reserves but even embezzled what he met.

4. About 28 of 36 States were owing their workers for up to eight months in some cases and there was already hunger in the land. Why didn't GEJ bail them out? Had Buhari not come to intervene just about three months into his tenure, what would have happened to those workers then?

Recently, the Gele woman who couldn't choose to resign to protect her name, revealed in a well publicized video that GEJ had zero will to save. Where there's shame, she will apologize to Nigerians for wasting our resources in times of abundance.

Nigerians indeed lack capacity for critical thinking. And it's the reason we will continue to be taken for a ride by the looters. We see those who genuinely are working for our betterment as enemies while blindly praising the real enemies as benefactors just because of crumbs of today. This is indeed very shameful!
\\
and what has your fulani master done for over a year?
it took him six months to even choose his cabinets
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Pavarottii(m): 11:17am On Sep 08, 2016
omofunaab:

Mr adult, if 15 months is enough to start seeing changes then 16 years is enough for us to be in paradise

So now u blaming Obj, Yaradua and GEJ? Is Obj not in APC now?
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by TeamSimple(m): 11:18am On Sep 08, 2016
Swizdom:

Out of all the comments, I respect yours the most. I am a GEJ supporter, but he was very clueless. Buhari ,even more, is way too clueless. Both of these people do not have the capacity to take My wonderful country, Nigeria, afar.
While i am also a Buhari fan..But i must say he has been a disappointment so far..

Time for blame game is past now. Running to two years now..Very bad if i must say.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by omofunaab(m): 11:18am On Sep 08, 2016
ShySteady:

I'm in shock!
You blame GEJ, and praise OBJ then turn around and cast aspersions on PDP's 16 years' rule. What kind of confused person are you?

I blame pdp's 16 years of misrule.. Am not like you who feels everything was okay during this period
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by omofunaab(m): 11:19am On Sep 08, 2016
Pavarottii:

So now u blaming Obj, Yaradua and GEJ? Is Obj not in APC now?

And who told you am an Apc supporter.. .
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by FunkyMetahuman: 11:19am On Sep 08, 2016
mmsen:

Like his foolish FOREX policy.

Subsidising consumption by way of cash hand outs for those in poverty.
which consumption exactly?

you didn't tell us the policy he made?

e.g gej automotive policy, he banned cars of certain age from entering the country and increased tax on imported cars.. people started shouting gej made cars expensive, but in the end, we have more than 3 cars companies springing up.

last time I checked, the only policy the government has made so far about forex was to float the naira... so what other forex policy are talking here?
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by mmsen: 11:25am On Sep 08, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:
which consumption exactly?

you didn't tell us the policy he made?

e.g gej automotive policy, he banned cars of certain age from entering the country and increased tax on imported cars.. people started shouting gej made cars expensive, but in the end, we have more than 3 cars companies springing up.

last time I checked, the only policy the government has made so far about forex was to float the naira... so what other forex policy are talking here?

The Auto policy is an intelligent one - you tax importation so that you increase production, employment and consumption.

When you hand out free money you don't solve any problems - that is what I mean by subsidising consumption. Just as he did by continuing the foolish oil subsidy scam.

The decision to pin the naira to an artificial dollar rate and then sell to friends of the CBN is destroying the economy because people are falsely claiming to need FOREX for production and then selling for a profit on the black market.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Abagworo(m): 11:28am On Sep 08, 2016
Nigeria has been progressing and is stillprogressing but not in the right aspects. More people are building houses, buying cars, getting educated etc. but we are doing so under the most difficult conditions. Jonathan compromised to satisfy some people because of his 2015 ambition but Buhari is doing what is right without thinking of 2019. If we accept to run our country positively like Buhari is trying then we shall have real progress in future not the mirage of mismanaged oil money.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Swizdom(m): 11:29am On Sep 08, 2016
TeamSimple:

While i am also a Buhari fan..But i must say he has been a disappointment so far..

Time for blame game is past now. Running to two years now..Very bad if i must say.

Most times I see these folks as people who must stand between one and success. Imagine wailing everyday on these people when you know they won't do anything your dreams/aspirations in life with wither.

But all in all, a poor running of a country could make its people poor no matter ones dreams. I just pray I won't be part of those people. God has blessed Nigeria. I don't even in my prayers anymore tell God to bless Nigeria. May God cause in heart to choose the most suitable person to run our great Country.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by quickly: 11:34am On Sep 08, 2016
PassingShot:
You'd think being educated translates to being well informed. Unfortunately the first doesn't guarantee the later.
Anyone who keeps saying we should stop blaming GEJ is being economical with the truth. The truth is GEJ wrecked Nigeria with his handling of the economy. He didn't have to blame anyone before him because NO ONE ELSE had been so clueless, dull and Ineffectual as himself.

If we still have any truly sane man doubting that Nigeria would have been long grounded had GEJ managed to rig himself in, such person needs to be constantly reminded where the Ineffectual Buffoon left us:
1. The IB was already borrowing to pay salaries when crude was selling at $75 per barrel. At $40 per barrel, what miracle will he have done?

2. The paper Economist, who supervised crashing of the economy clearly stated that Nigerians should brace up for tough times ahead the moment crude fell to around $65 per barrel. Does tough times mean merry making times at $40 per barrel?

3. Despite earning unprecedented amounts from crude, the IB couldn't grow our reserves but even embezzled what he met.

4. About 28 of 36 States were owing their workers for up to eight months in some cases and there was already hunger in the land. Why didn't GEJ bail them out? Had Buhari not come to intervene just about three months into his tenure, what would have happened to those workers then?

Recently, the Gele woman who couldn't choose to resign to protect her name, revealed in a well publicized video that GEJ had zero will to save. Where there's shame, she will apologize to Nigerians for wasting our resources in times of abundance.

Nigerians indeed lack capacity for critical thinking. And it's the reason we will continue to be taken for a ride by the looters. We see those who genuinely are working for our betterment as enemies while blindly praising the real enemies as benefactors just because of crumbs of today. This is indeed very shameful!

Just to let you know that economist is a british magazine and it will never have nigerias interest at heart. They will argue for you to devalue the naira to 1$ to 1000N and the next minute they will say nigeria in woes.

Just become a white man wrote doesnt mean it is 100% truth
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Cathony(m): 11:35am On Sep 08, 2016
Ken4Christ:
Buhari has a track record for failure. The same thing happened when he was military head of state in 2003. So many that voted for him were not born then or too young to know what happened. The person who actually ran the government then was his vice, Idiagbon.
2003 or 1983??
Nawa oooohhh
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by cyrilamx(m): 11:39am On Sep 08, 2016
And the standard of living now and in 2009 17 years plus now are the same? So you equating the purchasing power of the naira now and 2009. Let be reasonable and honest in our assessment for once. It won't take anything from us.
donbrowser:

Same trash all through! Stop using low oil price as an excuse. Obasanjo came in at a tough moment too and never blamed his predecessors. He met the oil price low and did his best. If you keep blaming low oil price why did the naira sink further despite a rise in oil price last week. Stop finding excuses and tell your boss to get to work!
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by DTaj: 11:45am On Sep 08, 2016
Ben Bruce is so daft. There is no logic in this...

How did he expect Jonathan to naturally blame his predecessors who were PDP members (and under whose governments he served?). Is Ben Bruce going nuts?

This clown of a Senator (a paper tiger who only shouts on twitter but go mute on the floor of the Senate) is supposed to be educated!

SMH.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by chinjo(m): 11:49am On Sep 08, 2016
divinehand2003:
Lol
I dey laugh oooo
What kind of progress took place during the administration of the Clueless one?
You must be day dreaming Mr Ben. Wake up joor and stop spilling lies that are unfounded and ridiculous.
If you never made any progress during the time of Goodluck then, it is nobody's fault. It means you are destined to fail.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Bazzio: 11:49am On Sep 08, 2016
PassingShot:

if u are livin at aso rock send me some food,here s tough.Mr defendant.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by TeamSimple(m): 11:49am On Sep 08, 2016
Swizdom:

Most times I see these folks as people who must stand between one and success. Imagine wailing everyday on these people when you know they won't do anything your dreams/aspirations in life with wither.

But all in all, a poor running of a country could make its people poor no matter ones dreams. I just pray I won't be part of those people. God has blessed Nigeria. I don't even in my prayers anymore tell God to bless Nigeria. May God cause in heart to choose the most suitable person to run our great Country.
AMEN
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by FunkyMetahuman: 11:51am On Sep 08, 2016
mmsen:

The Auto policy is an intelligent one - you tax importation so that you increase production, employment and consumption.

When you hand out free money you don't solve any problems - that is what I mean by subsidising consumption. Just as he did by continuing the foolish oil subsidy scam.

The decision to pin the naira to an artificial dollar rate and then sell to friends of the CBN is destroying the economy because people are falsely claiming to need FOREX for production and then selling for a profit on the black market.

so its smart now but people like you wailed that we supposed to have the car company operating first before banning or increasing tax on imported cars (like any sane company would do that).. that's where critical thinking comes to play.. people with foresight already saw the policy was the right thing at the right time.

where is this government dashing out free money? please tell us..
last time I checked, they suspended most of their social programs while some people called all promises canceled.

pinning currency was as old as Nigeria and it is not buhari s policy..
and pinning currency was to check mate inflation.
but now that it has been floated, has it changed the situation?
the inflation we were scared is now up on us..

but people with foresight knows the hardship that comes with it is only temporary once other policies that are already in place starts taking effect.

e.g when refineries come online, the problem of forex will disappear as 40% of our forex goes into importation of fuel and related items.
when Nigeria starts making our own rice or the foods we import daily, the price of dollars will come down even further.

now the question we should be asking is, what is government doing to accelerate the process..
are they subsidizing rice seeds for farmers like they should?
what are they doing about refineries gulping our forex etc.

critical thinking.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by michoim(m): 11:56am On Sep 08, 2016
It is absurd insanity for Ben Bruce to think that Nigeria progress under Jonathan. Infact Jonathan only succeeded in impoverishing the country, and then planted The Niger Delta Avenger to destroy the country further after his exit.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by PassingShot(m): 12:05pm On Sep 08, 2016
Bazzio:
if u are livin at aso rock send me some food,here s tough.Mr defendant.
Send your details. I can help you out from my pocket. I don't have to live in Aso Rock to do that.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Abagworo(m): 12:07pm On Sep 08, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:

but people with foresight knows the hardship that comes with it is only temporary once other policies that are already in place starts taking effect.

I guess most people aren't aware that Buhari inherited a pinned exchange rate. That was one of the most stupid economic decisions Jonathan used to put Nigerians in a mirage because of political ambitions. The others are subsidy, waivers and financial recklessness. Buhari is doing great by removing these leakages one after the other and it will lead us to actual progress in future and not a mirage.

https://www.nairaland.com/2816697/oby-ezekwesili-blasts-cbn-governor
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by mmsen: 12:11pm On Sep 08, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:
so its smart now but people like you wailed that we supposed to have the car company operating first before banning or increasing tax on imported cars (like any sane company would do that).. that's where critical thinking comes to play.. people with foresight already saw the policy was the right thing at the right time.

where is this government dashing out free money? please tell us..
last time I checked, they suspended most of their social programs while some people called all promises canceled.

e.g when refineries come online, the problem of forex will disappear as 40% of our forex goes into importation of fuel and related items.
when Nigeria starts making our own rice or the foods we import daily, the price of dollars will come down even further.

now the question we should be asking is, what is government doing to accelerate the process..
are they subsidizing rice seeds for farmers like they should?
what are they doing about refineries gulping our forex etc.

critical thinking.

You talk about critical thinking but couldn't understand what I meant by subsidising consumption.

And you're hear making foolish assumptions using terms such as 'people like you' when you do not know me or my opinion on past policies.

Why is that "people like you" can't argue policy without attacking individuals that you do not know? Why can you not avoid making assumptions based on nothing but your own ignorance?

I was in full agreement of the ban on older motor vehicles and I'm against government bodies, in particular, importing goods that are currently made in Nigeria.

For example no government agency should be importing vehicles when Nigeria has Innoson.

We have all asked what the current government is doing to ramp up production and self-reliance. The latest news is that this government has reverted to the previous administration's agricultural policy because as we can see in all arenas, this government has no feasible policies of its own.

They have no working economic policy which is why the Nigerian economy has slid in the manner that it has. For seven months there was no communication between government and business leaders. Inevitably, that destroys investor confidence.

No transport policy - the railways were from the previous administration. The same administration that they have been attacking for two years at this point.

This government is constantly talking about oil, ignoring the pledge that they made to diversify the economy.

They accused the previous administration of waste yet they have a budget with even greater recurring expenditure than any other government in Nigerian history.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by mofebosola(m): 12:20pm On Sep 08, 2016
I totally disagree with the position taken by this Senator on why Nigerians were enjoying during Jonathan's reign than now. From my understanding of the situation, GEJ could not blame his predecessors because there was no reason to blame them. The two administrations before him left huge foreign reserves for him to spend unlike the near empty treasury he left behind. Another reason Nigerians were seemingly enjoying then was the level of stealing and profligacy that characterised the government. As they stole, some of the loot fell by the wayside and people help themselves to the "windfall". Does he also remember that during GEJ's administration, crude sold for as high as $110 per barrel? Can he now compare that with the present dispensation of $50 per barrel? Fact is fact no matter how politically beclouded we may become.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by Nobody: 12:23pm On Sep 08, 2016
GoodMuyis:

My advice for you, Dont think the person on the other end is someone of your age or mate.
Some are as old as your Boss, Teacher, Lecturer etc

Show some level of decorum and respect
you get time to dey reply am, his moniker is todayboy typifying his level of reasoning.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by jaybee3(m): 12:29pm On Sep 08, 2016
Abagworo:

I guess most people aren't aware that Buhari inherited a pinned exchange rate. That was one of the most stupid economic decisions Jonathan used to put Nigerians in a mirage because of political ambitions. The others are subsidy, waivers and financial recklessness. Buhari is doing great by removing these leakages one after the other and it will lead us to actual progress in future and not a mirage.

https://www.nairaland.com/2816697/oby-ezekwesili-blasts-cbn-governor

Currency pegging is a common practice within export dependent economies.
However, it was necessary to peg our currency since we lack basic infrastructures as well as being unable to produce enough food to sustain the economy. Allowing Naira to free float would be suicidal considering we are import dependent.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by LastProphet: 12:31pm On Sep 08, 2016
todayboy:

We are the best economy in africa under Jonathan

you were the best as lied by GEJ, if you have traveled to SA or Tunisia, Egypt, etc you wont spill this rubbish. Liars!
Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by FunkyMetahuman: 12:34pm On Sep 08, 2016
mmsen:

You talk about critical thinking but couldn't understand what I meant by subsidising consumption.

And you're hear making foolish assumptions using terms such as 'people like you' when you do not know me or my opinion on past policies.
] a
I was in full agreement of the ban on older motor vehicles and I'm against government bodies, in particular, importing goods that are currently made in Nigeria.

For example no government agency should be importing vehicles when Nigeria has Innoson.
apologies.. Thats for people who didn't support the policy.
The ban was for everyone, even though corruption didn't let the policy take its full effect. E.g, Import waivers for government agencies.

We have all asked what the current government is doing to ramp up production and self-reliance. The latest news is that this government has reverted to the previous administration's agricultural policy because as we can see in all arenas, this government has no feasible policies of its own.

They have no working economic policy which is why the Nigerian economy has slid has it has. For seven months there was no communication between government and business leaders, that destroys investor confidence.

No transport policy. The railways were from the previous administration - the same administration that they have been attacking for two years at this point.

This government is constantly talking about oil, ignoring the pledge that they made to diversify the economy.

They accused the previous administration of waste yet they have a budget with even greater recurring expenditure than any other government in Nigerian history.
so, how is it anyone's fault that you refused to see what the government is doing but only wants to hear about problems going presently..

You see want you want to see my friend.

Last week, we saw agric minister distributing free seeds to farmers, nope, that is non of your business.

The insecurity, like book haram affecting our farmers and investors in the north has been thoroughly dealt with to a large extent.. Oh that one is not big deal.
But the economy saboteur of naija delta should be praised.

The news about refineries and modular ones being built, nope you don't care.
Our refineries are still working till today, though not at full capacity, can we say the same in 2014.

What about BVN that single handedly put a close end to ghost workers draining the nations wealth

What about TSA?

What about on going infrastructural project, e.g Lagos Ibadan express way? Abuja Ilorin jebba, Oyo to ogbomosho.
I guess those ones are propaganda even when its happening right in your nose..

What about power project like the one in Benin?

They are about to commence mabilla project that has been their since 1982 and no government deemed it fit to lay down a stone. A plant which would easily be the biggest hydro plant in Africa.
But do you care about that one? I don't think so.

You see what you want to see my friend.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Was Progressing Under Jonathan - Ben Bruce by dafuturis(m): 12:40pm On Sep 08, 2016
PassingShot:

Truth be told, Nigeria overtime has had feeble minded legislators but we've never had one so highly unintelligent with incredibly low IQ as Ben Murray Bruce.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ekiti 2018: PDP Governorship Primary Election, May 8 (live Updates) / Rochas Okorocha Welcomes Yemi Osinbajo - photos / Community Policing Takes Off In Lagos As Sanwo-olu Inaugurates Operation Teams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.