Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,170 members, 7,821,966 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. (16610 Views)

Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) / Pictures Of My Cucumber Farm From Land Preparation To Harvest / My Cucumber And Tomatoes Farm In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 11:19am On Oct 05, 2016
[quote author=Dolypson04 post=49914176]
Thanks. How can I reach you?

but i cant gurantee u this week.because am out of town.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 11:26am On Oct 05, 2016
adescopy:
Thanks for ur replys am grateful. pls g will luv to know about the marketing of the produce. God bless ur labour.
thanks. marketing will never be an issue depending on your location.the market women are ready to buy. though my farm was for experiment. the fruits were awesome very green and fresh. though small number because i only harvested the giant ones .every 5days. so i 22@ 1000 to a nearby fruit seller. and she was all smiles because on delivery we noticed d ones she has are dry and non appealing. so i noticed the attraction is make sure ur cukes are very green. because cukes are vegetables also.

1 Like

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by adescopy(m): 5:42pm On Oct 05, 2016
Pls, i wil like to no if u use another fertilizer except the poultry dunks and the total amount i need to produce 200 sack as a start especialy the cost of seed. thanks
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by mumamanda4: 5:43am On Oct 07, 2016
Munzy14:
I also harvested three fruits only,because am also experimenting to compare sizes of darina,the local variety,999.and will also try murano 2f1, marketmore soon. from their we know the best variety for large scale production.
pls help me my cucumber of 35days is just dyeing everyday.what will I do am losing hope.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 5:43am On Oct 07, 2016
adescopy:
Pls, i wil like to no if u use another fertilizer except the poultry dunks and the total amount i need to produce 200 sack as a start especialy the cost of seed. thanks
no. just the poultry dungs only.use 7bags of poultry to mix your soil. then fill the soil with four shovels per sack of the mixture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 5:45am On Oct 07, 2016
mumamanda4:
pls help me my cucumber of 35days is just dyeing everyday.what will I do am losing hope.
sorry please dont loose hope agriculture is the risk and succeed profession.
how did u planted. which agronomy did you use?.sack farming or on bare ground?
do u irrigate and how do u do it?
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by mumamanda4: 5:56am On Oct 07, 2016
Munzy14:
sorry please dont loose hope agriculture is the risk and succeed profession. how did u planted. which agronomy did you use?.sack farming or on bare ground? do u irrigate and how do u do it?
is sack
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 5:59am On Oct 07, 2016
mumamanda4:
is sack
ok.so which fertlizer did u made use of? and how do u irrigate?
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by mumamanda4: 6:08am On Oct 07, 2016
Munzy14:

ok.so which fertlizer did u made use of? and how do u irrigate?
I use npk 15:15:15. for irrigation is rain fall but wen dia is no rain for lyk 2 days I water.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 9:15pm On Oct 07, 2016
mumamanda4:
I use npk 15:15:15. for irrigation is rain fall but wen dia is no rain for lyk 2 days I water.
ok.@35 my darina is already having fruits.urs @35 and is weathering, it should be flowering and priducing fruit by now. at least flowering. pls make sure u irrigat everyday . and i hope ur soil is not getting soaked for long without the water getting drained down the soil. make sure the sack is perforated.and when u applied the NPK i hope u didnt allow it to touch stem of the vines. because if it touched and u didnt irrigate properly it may burn down the plants. thanks dont hope on rain water. irrigate everyday.dat one u are sure of.

1 Like

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by adescopy(m): 11:24pm On Oct 07, 2016
Finding it very had to get soil and bags. Pls OP how many bags did u fill with ur soil and 7 bags of manure mixture.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 8:40pm On Oct 08, 2016
adescopy:
Finding it very had to get soil and bags. Pls OP how many bags did u fill with ur soil and 7 bags of manure mixture.
getting soil shouldnt be tha difficult check any wia in your vicinity and spot areas wia grasses grow often and healthy. mark out a portion uproot the grasses from the root. then clear and gather the soil dia.both the topsoil and the second layer. get 15 wheelbarrows of the soil and mix with 7bags of ur manure..then fill in the mixture into ur sacks. arrange and plant. make sure u wash the empty cement bags before use.
u should have upto 200sacks from that.
go to block industries,they do sale 10naira per sack(empty cement bags).
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by adescopy(m): 2:55pm On Oct 10, 2016
Thanks OP i wil work on that but which type of seed do you think is best and how many grams and price for the 200 bags.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Boost4agro: 3:37pm On Oct 10, 2016
i'm inspired by all these stories, but can someone help me my cucumber plants are about 7 days and i think they are doing well, but about 2 days ago, i noticed that some just die suddenly as if something is cutting them just above the top soil. They suddenly wither, pls i need urgent help. I planted the marketer.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 4:35pm On Oct 11, 2016
adescopy:
Thanks OP i wil work on that but which type of seed do you think is best and how many grams and price for the 200 bags.
sorry for late reply.too busy in my poultry plus other farm works.
Any good hybrid seed can serve. I used darina.from seminis(company) . just 10g satchet is ok.for the 200sacks. here in owerri its #950. I dont know for your location. check around.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 4:46pm On Oct 11, 2016
[quote author=Boost4agro post=50084131]i'm inspired by all these stories, but can someone help me my cucumber plants are about 7 days and i think they are doing well, but about 2 days ago, i noticed that some just die suddenly as if something is cutting them just above the top soil. They suddenly wither, pls i need urgent help. I planted the marketer. [/quote
ok what we have here is not just story like most online farmers.I am a farmer bro. To your problem, i noticed such in my last batch planted last month when i refused to wet their soil for some days. I also noticed under 14days old,their roots are still at the top.so wet your young cukes twice a day. again lizard do destroy or break the stem of the young vines.Lizards are big problem to cucumber and water melon. soon i will put up a research on how to keep them off. thanks and please do not be discouraged.

2 Likes

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by lanre2009: 7:23pm On Oct 11, 2016
[quote author=Munzy14 post=50113382][/quote]

the link below may be of help:

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/animals/managing-lizard-populations.htm
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 9:21pm On Oct 11, 2016
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 10:21pm On Oct 12, 2016
ok. good evening my people. due to series of calls and chats concerning how i stake my cukes. i will be uploading pics from my last batch of cukes for now.(999)precisely. In the earlier post i used darina variety,and poultry dungs and water from my fish farm was the only source of nutrient in the darina.
Now, in this (999) i am using NPK 15:15:15 mixed with urea fertilizer. I am trying to compare and contrast for up scale production.

1 Like

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 4:20pm On Oct 13, 2016
Today 13/10/16 our (999)variety is 20days old. so far NPK was applied yesterday. one table spoon for each sack. Ishaqteejay et al.A close look will show you how i did my trellis construction for staking of the vines. after digging a hole to fix the bamboo which is serving as a pole,then use a thread make horizontal binding of one pole to another. then followed by a vertical binding of the strings to form a.net like frame. tie at each end and make it strong to avoid sagging when your plants starts producing fruits.
As, for irrigation am not using water from my fish farm. now am using a liquid fertilizer made with resources from the farm.Beauty of Agricuture.

2 Likes

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 4:30pm On Oct 13, 2016
ok. beside the young cukes is the darina we used in the first experiment. They are still fruiting after three harvest now. fourth harvest coming up tomorrow as up to 19big fruits spotted which fetch me 1k at give away price as demand is high.

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 4:36pm On Oct 13, 2016
A new project coming up soon. get ready for vertical sack farming for pumpkin(Ugu) to tackle high demand during dry season.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Pavore9: 5:55pm On Oct 13, 2016
Munzy14:
A new project coming up soon. get ready for vertical sack farming for pumpkin(Ugu) to tackle high demand during dry season.

Your wallet is about to swell! cool
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 8:19pm On Oct 13, 2016
grin
Pavore9:

Your wallet is about to swell! cool
hopefully I pray for it.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Pavore9: 8:43pm On Oct 13, 2016
Munzy14:
grin
hopefully I pray for it.

Veggies fetches higher returns during the dry season as availability of water is a game changer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 10:27pm On Oct 13, 2016
Pavore9:

Veggies fetches higher returns during the dry season as availability of water is a game changer.
Honestly speaking .x2 or 3 of profit during the normal season.From experience almost all plants do well in dry season as far as water is available.because they produce their food with sunlight and water made available.

1 Like

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Pavore9: 10:46pm On Oct 13, 2016
Munzy14:

Honestly speaking .x2 or 3 of profit during the normal season.From experience almost all plants do well in dry season as far as water is available.because they produce their food with sunlight and water made available.

Once there is access to water, there is no off season. If my schedules allows, l will like to set up a cabbage and strawberry farm somewhere around Mbano/Ihitte come September 2017 so that December 2017 will be a "sweet one"! cheesy cheesy cheesy

To have a 25,000 cabbage heads farm will be a good start. All is in God's hands.

1 Like

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 6:43am On Oct 14, 2016
Pavore9:

Once there is access to water, there is no off season. If my schedules allows, l will like to set up a cabbage and strawberry farm somewhere around Mbano/Ihitte come September 2017 so that December 2017 will be a "sweet one"! cheesy cheesy cheesy

To have a 25,000 cabbage heads farm will be a good start. All is in God's hands.
wow that will be wonderful. i got few seeds and broadcasted.just four came up.and they are trying now just few weeks old.Though struggling,not even up to an inch in height.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Pavore9: 7:00am On Oct 14, 2016
Munzy14:

wow that will be wonderful. i got few seeds and broadcasted.just four came up.and they are trying now just few weeks old.Though struggling,not even up to an inch in height.

You ought to have prepared a nursery for them and transplanted after some weeks!

Setting up a seedling centre somewhere in Enugu/Imo is something am looking at. So anyone can come pick up seedlings of their choice from cabbages to strawberries.

2 Likes

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 3:02pm On Oct 14, 2016
Pavore9:

You ought to have prepared a nursery for them and transplanted after some weeks!

Setting up a seedling centre somewhere in Enugu/Imo is something am looking at. So anyone can come pick up seedlings of their choice from cabbages to strawberries.
I did planted them in small sack,but out door. I think indoors should be the best. then after some weeks transplant out door. the nursery stage is 6-8weeks. they are 21days now. still monitoring and observing.
Seedling centre that will be a welcomed idea. lts been challenging getting improved seedlings here in Owerri.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Pavore9: 3:58pm On Oct 14, 2016
Munzy14:

I did planted them in small sack,but out door. I think indoors should be the best. then after some weeks transplant out door. the nursery stage is 6-8weeks. they are 21days now. still monitoring and observing.
Seedling centre that will be a welcomed idea. lts been challenging getting improved seedlings here in Owerri.

2-3 weeks takes care of the nursery stage of most of cabbage varieties l know of. Improved seeds are easily accessible here in Nairobi, there is a street called Kijiabe, it has about 5 seeds companies on that stretch. You go through the shelves where one is spoilt for choice especially the veggies sections. You get to sit one on one with a staff who advises what seeds are best for your location and how to go about its cultivation. Funny enough, 3 of the seed companies told me they regularly get calls and emails from Nigeria.

I guess with time, we will get there.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 4:04pm On Oct 14, 2016
Pavore9:

2-3 weeks takes care of the nursery stage of most of cabbage varieties l know of. Improved seeds are easily accessible here in Nairobi, there is a street called Kijiabe, it has about 5 seeds companies on that stretch. You go through the shelves where one is spoilt for choice especially the veggies sections. You get to sit one on one with a staff who advises what seeds are best for your location and how to go about its cultivation. Funny enough, 3 of the seed companies told me they regularly get calls and emails from Nigeria.

I guess with time, we will get there.
yea. for sure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N200 Billion Agriculture Loans - Farmers Say Banks Are Not Lending / Poultry Business In Nigeria: How Reliable & Profitable Is It? / My 2022 Farm Diary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.