Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. (16602 Views)

Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) / Pictures Of My Cucumber Farm From Land Preparation To Harvest / My Cucumber And Tomatoes Farm In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Pavore9: 6:44am On Oct 15, 2016
Munzy14:

yea. for sure.

What is the market like for courgettes in Owerri?

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 2:10pm On Oct 15, 2016
Pavore9:

What is the market like for courgettes in Owerri?

I will say not that encouraging. Though shoprite is doing there best do bring unfamiliar veggies closer to the owerri people.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by ishaqteejay(m): 7:47am On Oct 16, 2016
Munzy14:
Today 13/10/16 our (999)variety is 20days old. so far NPK was applied yesterday. one table spoon for each sack. Ishaqteejay et al.A close look will show you how i did my trellis construction for staking of the vines. after digging a hole to fix the bamboo which is serving as a pole,then use a thread make horizontal binding of one pole to another. then followed by a vertical binding of the strings to form a.net like frame. tie at each end and make it strong to avoid sagging when your plants starts producing fruits.
As, for irrigation am not using water from my fish farm. now am using a liquid fertilizer made with resources from the farm.Beauty of Agricuture.
they are looking fine,have you applied fungicide nd pesticide? and which ratio of npk??keep it up.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 11:05am On Oct 16, 2016
ishaqteejay:
they are looking fine,have you applied fungicide nd pesticide? and which ratio of npk??keep it up.
Wow thanks@ishaqteejay borrowed a leaf from your thread. yes i have applied the pesticides and fungicides. NPK was mixed with UREA fertilizer in the ratio 5:1. then one tea spoon per sack.

1 Like

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by markemmi(m): 3:27pm On Oct 18, 2016
i have organic fertilizers for sale reach me by email markemmi@yahoo.com
Munzy14:

Wow thanks@ishaqteejay borrowed a leaf from your thread. yes i have applied the pesticides and fungicides. NPK was mixed with UREA fertilizer in the ratio 5:1. then one tea spoon per sack.

1 Like

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by markemmi(m): 3:38pm On Oct 18, 2016
i can supply any amount of organic fertilizer @ very affordable rates. reach me at markemmi@yahoo.com

Munzy14:
Today 13/10/16 our (999)variety is 20days old. so far NPK was applied yesterday. one table spoon for each sack. Ishaqteejay et al.A close look will show you how i did my trellis construction for staking of the vines. after digging a hole to fix the bamboo which is serving as a pole,then use a thread make horizontal binding of one pole to another. then followed by a vertical binding of the strings to form a.net like frame. tie at each end and make it strong to avoid sagging when your plants starts producing fruits.
As, for irrigation am not using water from my fish farm. now am using a liquid fertilizer made with resources from the farm.Beauty of Agricuture.

1 Like

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 8:24pm On Oct 18, 2016
markemmi:
i can supply any amount of organic fertilizer @ very affordable rates. reach me at markemmi@yahoo.com

thanks bro. actually i do make organic fertilizer for my vegetable farms with resources from the farm.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 8:31pm On Oct 18, 2016
Just like yesterday its been long i updated this thread. will be giving updates on how the cukes are doing. probably tomorrow.
Meanwhile, let me just share benefits of eating cucumber.

9 Reasons to Eat Cucumbers
1. Protect Your Brain
Cucumbers contain an anti-
inflammatory flavonol called fisetin
that appears to play an important role
in brain health. In addition to improving
your memory and protecting your
nerve cells from age-related decline,
fisetin has been found to prevent
progressive memory and learning
impairments in mice with Alzheimer's
disease.
2. Reduce Your Risk of Cancer
Cucumbers contain polyphenols called
lignans (pinoresinol, lariciresinol, and
secoisolariciresinol), which may help
to lower your risk of breast, uterine,
ovarian, and prostate cancers. They
also contain phytonutrients called
cucurbitacins, which also have anti-
cancer properties. According to the
George Mateljan Foundation:
"Scientists have already determined that
several different signaling pathways (for
example, the JAK-STAT and MAPK
pathways) required for cancer cell
development and survival can be
blocked by activity of cucurbitacins."
3. Fight Inflammation
Cucumbers may help to "cool" the
inflammatory response in your body,
and animal studies suggest that
cucumber extract helps reduce
unwanted inflammation, in part by
inhibiting the activity of pro-
inflammatory enzymes (including
cyclo-oxygenase 2, or COX-2).
4. Antioxidant Properties
Cucumbers contain numerous
antioxidants, including the well-known
vitamin C and beta-carotene. They
also contain antioxidant flavonoids,
such as quercetin, apigenin, luteolin,
and kaempferol, which provide
additional benefits.
For instance, quercetin is an
antioxidant that many believe prevents
histamine release—making quercetin-
rich foods "natural antihistamines."
Kaempferol, meanwhile, may help fight
cancer and lower your risk of chronic
diseases including heart disease.
5. Freshen Your Breath
Placing a cucumber slice on the roof
of your mouth may help to rid your
mouth of odor-causing bacteria.
According to the principles of
Ayurveda, eating cucumbers may also
help to release excess heat in your
stomach, which is said to be a primary
cause of bad breath.
6. Manage Stress
Cucumbers contain multiple B
vitamins, including vitamin B1, vitamin
B5, and vitamin B7 (biotin). B vitamins
are known to help ease feelings of
anxiety and buffer some of the
damaging effects of stress.
7. Support Your Digestive Health
Cucumbers are rich in two of the most
basic elements needed for healthy
digestion: water and fiber. Adding
cucumbers to your juice or salad can
help you meet the ideal of amount of
fiber your body needs — 50 grams per
1,000 calories consumed. If you
struggle with acid reflux, you should
know that drinking water can help
suppress acute symptoms of acid
reflux by temporarily raising stomach
pH; it's possible that water-rich
cucumbers may have a similar effect.
Cucumber skins contain insoluble fiber,
which helps add bulk to your stool.
This helps food to move through your
digestive tract more quickly for healthy
elimination.
8. Maintain a Healthy Weight
Cucumbers are very low in calories,
yet they make a filling snack (one cup
of sliced cucumber contains just 16
calories). The soluble fiber in
cucumbers dissolves into a gel-like
texture in your gut, helping to slow
down your digestion. This helps you to
feel full longer and is one reason why
fiber-rich foods may help with weight
control.
9. Support Heart Health
Cucumbers contain potassium , which
is associated with lower blood
pressure levels. A proper balance of
potassium both inside and outside your
cells is crucial for your body to
function properly.
As an electrolyte, potassium is a
positive charged ion that must
maintain a certain concentration
(about 30 times higher inside than
outside your cells) in order to carry
out its functions, which includes
interacting with sodium to help control
nerve impulse transmission, muscle
contraction, and heart function.

1 Like

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 12:44pm On Oct 20, 2016
ok my people. 20/10/2016 marks 27days old of the cukes. some started flowering yesterday. comparing it with darina. I will infere that darina grows faster than 999.Since darina started flowering at 25th day in the earlier planting.

1 Share

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by alakara(m): 9:13pm On Oct 23, 2016
Pavore9:

2-3 weeks takes care of the nursery stage of most of cabbage varieties l know of. Improved seeds are easily accessible here in Nairobi, there is a street called Kijiabe, it has about 5 seeds companies on that stretch. You go through the shelves where one is spoilt for choice especially the veggies sections. You get to sit one on one with a staff who advises what seeds are best for your location and how to go about its cultivation. Funny enough, 3 of the seed companies told me they regularly get calls and emails from Nigeria.

I guess with time, we will get there.

GOOD BUSINESS IDEA.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by adescopy(m): 3:03pm On Oct 24, 2016
Weldone Op, pls want to ask how many seed per sack and is it conpulsary to apply fungicide and pesticide even when there is no sign of deases or insects
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by whitecloth: 10:22am On Oct 25, 2016
Munzy14:
ok my people. 20/10/2016 marks 27days old of the cukes. some started flowering yesterday. comparing it with darina. I will infere that darina grows faster than 999.Since darina started flowering at 25th day in the earlier planting.
My Oga.

Good morning sir, am a cucumber farmer and I've harvested twice and I still want to harvest this evening, though I farm on the ground I want to do sack farming next time, but I don't know how to and what to do to avoid costly mistakes, I'll be glad if you can help.
my whatsapp contact : 08160682431.
Thanks.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 10:20pm On Oct 25, 2016
adescopy:
Weldone Op, pls want to ask how many seed per sack and is it conpulsary to apply fungicide and pesticide even when there is no sign of deases or insects
two seeds per sack.
pesticide from the 10th day. twice a week .in the evening time precisely. i use fungicide from 21 days. and know dat pesticide must be reduced when deh start flowering.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 10:23pm On Oct 25, 2016
whitecloth:

My Oga.

Good morning sir, am a cucumber farmer and I've harvested twice and I still want to harvest this evening, though I farm on the ground I want to do sack farming next time, but I don't know how to and what to do to avoid costly mistakes, I'll be glad if you can help.
my whatsapp contact : 08160682431.
Thanks.
good. read the post over . from the first page. its very clear and easy to understand. my watsaap contact is dia also. for guidance.

1 Like

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 9:41pm On Oct 28, 2016
wow. its been a long time people. updates on my CU999 cukes coming on tomorrow.They started fruiting lately 33days, very poor compared to darina at 25days.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by whitecloth: 11:24pm On Oct 28, 2016
mumamanda4:
pls help me my cucumber of 35days is just dyeing everyday.what will I do am losing hope.
Hi.

How is your cucumber doing now, just checking on your progress.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 1:57pm On Oct 29, 2016
@36days. today being 29/10/2016. hopefully we are moving. @mr pavore9 attached pics is the cabbage we talked about.5weeks old.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Arvinkris(m): 2:03pm On Oct 29, 2016
Did you do cabbage too?
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 3:12pm On Oct 29, 2016
Arvinkris:
Did you do cabbage too?
not actually but just experimenting to see if it grows very well in my area.If the result is impressive, then i begin small scale. before scaling up.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Pavore9: 3:29pm On Oct 29, 2016
Munzy14:

not actually but just experimenting to see if it grows very well in my area.If the result is impressive, then i begin small scale. before scaling up.

At 5 weeks? shocked That Cabbage is going no where unless a miracle happens! cheesy
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Arvinkris(m): 6:08pm On Oct 29, 2016
It is ok@pavore. Just that the nursary wasn't properly done. @ munzy hope u applied all purpose fertilizer basally? And
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 7:54pm On Oct 29, 2016
Pavore9:

At 5 weeks? shocked That Cabbage is going no where unless a miracle happens! cheesy
lolz. honestly anything is expected from experiment. I believe the problem is from the nursery preparation.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 7:58pm On Oct 29, 2016
Arvinkris:
It is ok@pavore. Just that the nursary wasn't properly done. @ munzy hope u applied all purpose fertilizer basally? And
I used on poultry dungs in the soil preparation. And av applied my liquid fertilizer made in my farm.I believe in organic farming wen it comes to veggies. though am experimenting inorganic on my cukes.

1 Like

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by peterbabs(m): 3:41am On Nov 03, 2016
Thanks for sharing.

How do you prepare your organic fertiliser?
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 2:06pm On Nov 03, 2016
peterbabs:
Thanks for sharing.

How do you prepare your organic fertiliser?
spot fast growing weeds in your farm. get them cutt-off the root,then cut the remaining parts into pieces and soack in a closed bucket/container. you can as well add banana pill,little amount of poultry dung,cow dung etc. allow to ferment for at least two weeks. then add 500ml or more to 20litres of water and use it to wet ur plant soil.

2 Likes

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 3:25pm On Nov 03, 2016
ok. I visited the cukes this morning being 3/11/2016 (40days). and we are getting set for.harvest.
meanwhile attached is my 1.5kg harvest from my 30sacks tomato trial i planted since august. probably the third harvest now since two weeks.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 11:05am On Nov 04, 2016
first harvest @41days. its truely a success story for CU 999variety.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Pavore9: 12:58pm On Nov 04, 2016
Munzy14:
first harvest @41days. its truely a success story for CU 999variety.

Are you planning to grow for the Christmas season?
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 2:02pm On Nov 04, 2016
Pavore9:

on it already. with 100sacks only.
Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Munzy14(m): 2:03pm On Nov 04, 2016
Pavore9:

Re: Dairies Of My Cucumber Farm In Owerri. by Pavore9: 2:21pm On Nov 04, 2016
Munzy14:

Demand is high during that period and expensive. Will be happy to see more youths in Imo going into cultivating vegetables for salad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N200 Billion Agriculture Loans - Farmers Say Banks Are Not Lending / My 2022 Farm Diary / Poultry Business In Nigeria: How Reliable & Profitable Is It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.