Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,209 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland (38057 Views)

Hot And Affordable Properties In Lagos State For Sale / Young Man Laments As Flood Carries Away His Properties In Akwa Ibom. Photos / Do You Know The Land Debts You Are About To Inherit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Obynolee(f): 9:35pm On Oct 08, 2016
Young03:

they can't be living in another .mans house and be dragging properties with the man

they r temporal beings in Igbo land

You're one of those that refused mental growth

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by scorpio2013: 9:36pm On Oct 08, 2016
Waste of time.Igbo men should buy their properties in their sons name in order to prevent hawks from using our light headed sisters to take their properties away from the family.
Abbeyme:
The Supreme Court has voided the Igbo law and custom, which forbid a female from inheriting her late father’s estate, on the grounds that it is discriminatory and conflicts with the provision of the constitution.

The court held that the practice conflicted with section 42(1)(a) and (2) of the 1999 Constitution. The judgment was on the appeal marked: SC.224/2004 filed by Mrs. Lois Chituru Ukeje (wife of the late Lazarus Ogbonna Ukeje) and their son, Enyinnaya Lazarus Ukeje against Mrs. Cladys Ada Ukeje (the deceased’s daughter).

Cladys had sued the deceased’s wife and son before the Lagos High Court, claiming to be one of the deceased’s children and sought to be included among those to administer their deceased’s father’s estate.

The trial court found that he was a daughter to the deceased and that she was qualified to benefit from the estate of their father who died intestate in Lagos in1981.

The Court of Appeal, Lagos to which Mrs. Lois Ukeje and Enyinnaya Ukeje appealed, upheld the decision of the trail court, prompting them to appeal to the Supreme Court.
In its judgment last Friday, the Supreme Court held that the Court of Appeal, Lagos was right to have voided the Igbo’s native law and custom that disinherit female children.

Justice Bode Rhodes-Vivour, who read the lead judgment, held that “no matter the circumstances of the birth of a female child, such a child is entitled to an inheritance from her later father’s estate.

“Consequently, the Igbo customary law, which disentitles a female child from partaking in the sharing of her deceased father’s estate is breach of Section 42(1) and (2) of the Constitution, a fundamental rights provision guaranteed to every Nigerian.

“The said discriminatory customary law is void as it conflicts with Section 42(1) and (2) of the Constitution. In the light of all that I have been saying, the appeal is dismissed. In the spirit of reconciliation, parties to bear their own costs,” Justice Rhodes-Vivour said.

Justices Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, Claral Bata Ogunbiyi, Kumai Bayang Aka’ahs and John Inyang Okoro, who were part of the panel that heard the appeal, agreed with the lead judgment.

Source: http://www.cracong.org/supreme-court-upholds-right-of-female-child-to-inherit-properties-in-igboland/

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by tIMSoN101: 9:37pm On Oct 08, 2016
based on Igbo tradition d gal may b entitled to get her own property when it in d city and d father been d 1 dat bought d property but she z limited when d land is been inherited from their ancestors

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 08, 2016
Thank God for this development. It would actually be beneficial to parents who have only daughters or whose sons are useless! undecided
Nothing worse than having an heir who is useless to the family and society at large cool

8 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by sweetcocoa(f): 9:39pm On Oct 08, 2016
Young03:
whether they like it or not. traditionally a female can't inherit a land in Igbo land

aru!

Igbo land z not Bini where famales have rights to lands n houses

Igbo aju kwa
See person, come collect my mama lands na, mschew.

6 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Pavore9: 9:41pm On Oct 08, 2016
OILSOUP:

DUDE NIGERIA HAS NO FUTURE. TO COEXIST WITH PEOPLE OF DIFFERENT CULTURE AND FAITH REQUIRES RESPECT, YORUBAS HAVE NONE.

THEY ARE DECEIVERS. U HAVE CREATED A SITUATION WHERE THOSE GIRLS WILL BE MURDERED OVER PROPERTY.

LEARN TO RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE CULTURE IT IS THEIR FOR A REASON. WOMEN MOVE ON CHANGE NAME, WAT BUSINESS DOES SHE HAVE WITH HER FATHER PROPERTY.

THE CHOICE IS FOR THE FATHER NOT SUPREME COURT. IN IGBOLAND A FATHER RESERVE THE RIGHT TO GIVE HIS DAUGHTER A GIFT NOT INHERITANCE.

Why bring the Yorubas in? Why have the Yoruba men not killed their own sisters over their father's property? shocked shocked

My father bought his plots of land in Lagos from a Yoruba woman way back in the 70's and even encouraged my father to get more igbos to buy land from their family.

Like l said earlier, humanity evolves..... so l take nothing personal! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Moreover this is more of properties in the urban areas not in the village!

8 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by chiamaka21(f): 9:42pm On Oct 08, 2016
OILSOUP:

AFTER MY SONS MUST HAVE TAKEN OVER WITH MY FULL CONSENT? UNLESS I DID NOT RAISE HER, WILL SHE DARE.

ANYWAY TODAY NEWSPAPER IS TOMORROW TOILET PAPER, NOBODY WILL FOLLOW A YORUBA DECEIVER OVER OUR CUSTOM AND TRADITION.

OUR CUSTOM WILL BE FOLLOWED TO THE LATTER.
will u keep quite. see am tired of people looking down on my tribe nd calling us flat head becos of our useless tradition. a tradition dat subject a widow to all form of phycological trauma. why is our tradition backward

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by sweetcocoa(f): 9:42pm On Oct 08, 2016
I don't even know what you people are on about, igbo women have been inheriting lands forever.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by splendid2: 9:43pm On Oct 08, 2016
As an igbo man, I can give my daughter gift on her wedding day, maybe landed property or anything bt nt sharing it equal with the guys. And to the lands in the village she is nt getting anything out of it. For the so called Law, is it d judge dt will tell me hw to share my property, if I decide to dash it a passerby it's my business, if I give my 1st son d sole right to share it d way he wants my business too

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Udmaster(m): 9:45pm On Oct 08, 2016
MUMU LAW!
Can't the court respect people's culture?
In Igbo Land, inheritance is mainly 4 Male folks inorder to preserve it in the family.

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by OILSOUP: 9:48pm On Oct 08, 2016
Pavore9:

Why bring the Yorubas in? Why have the Yoruba men not killed their own sisters over their father's property? shocked shocked

My father bought his plots of land in Lagos from a Yoruba woman way back in the 70's and even encouraged my father to get more igbos to buy land from their family.

Like l said earlier, humanity evolves..... so l take nothing personal! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Moreover this is more of properties in the urban areas not in the village!

ARE YORUBA AND IGBO THE SAME? ARE IGBOS NOW PRACTISING YORUBA CULTURE?

MAN U YORUBAS NEED TO GET SOME RESPECT AND DISTANCE BEFORE WE HAVE A SERIOUSLY VIOLENT CONFLICT.

U ARE STEPPING ON OUR TOES, SHOW SOME RESPECT. NOBODY WILL ANSWER THAT COURT AND ITS JUDGEMENT.

U FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS US, THE IGBOMEN AND THEIR FATHER THAT HAVE CHOSEN TO EXCLUDE THEM.

WE DONT WANT THEM INHERITING OUR PROPERTY. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO GIVE THEM SOMETHING BIG AS A GIFT, EVEN LAND BUT NOT INHERITANCE THAT IS FOR MY WIFE AND SONS.

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by VictorRomanov: 9:50pm On Oct 08, 2016
Young03:
whether they like it or not. traditionally a female can't inherit a land in Igbo land

aru!

Igbo aju kwa

That one concern una. When i have children i am apportioning inheritance to all of them, whether male or female. Make una come tell me if na una help ma acquire the property. Nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by orimsamsam(m): 9:52pm On Oct 08, 2016
splendid2:
As an igbo man, I can give my daughter gift on her wedding day, maybe landed property or anything bt nt sharing it equal with the guys. And to the lands in the village she is nt getting anything out of it. For the so called Law, is it d judge dt will tell me hw to share my property, if I decide to dash it a passerby it's my business, if I give my 1st son d sole right to share it d way he wants my business too
baba die first without a written will and see if the court won't decide ur case

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by templerbaba(m): 9:52pm On Oct 08, 2016
OILSOUP:

OK AS I SAY I NO GO GIVE MY DAUGHTER ANYTHING, COME AND CARRY ME.

IN NIGERIA LAWS ARE MADE BUT UNENFORCEABLE.

Guess u don't knw the meaning of intestate

MR BODE, IGBOS CANNOT DISOBEY THEIR ANCESTOR AND FOLLOW A YORUBA DECEIVER.

U HAVE JUST WASTED UR TIME, WE THEIR FATHER WILL EXCLUDE THEM OURSELVES.

U CANNOT LOVE MY DAUGHTER MORE THAN ME.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by OILSOUP: 9:53pm On Oct 08, 2016
THEY JUST WANT TO CREATE PROBLEMS FOR NDIIGBO.

WE WILL START LOSING SONS AND DAUGHTERS BECOS OF INHERITANCE FIGHT.

SOMETHING OUR CUSTOMARY LAW HAVE TAKEN CARE OF.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Gassa007: 9:54pm On Oct 08, 2016
martineinstein:
tribe of backwardness with cave mentality
Cc:Myndd44
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by orimsamsam(m): 9:55pm On Oct 08, 2016
OILSOUP:

MAN U YORUBAS NEED TO GET SOME RESPECT AND DISTANCE BEFORE WE HAVE A SERIOUSLY VIOLENT CONFLICT.

U ARE STEPPING ON OUR TOES, SHOW SOME RESPECT. NOBODY WILL ANSWER THAT COURT AND ITS JUDGEMENT.

U FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS US, THE IGBOMEN AND THEIR FATHER THAT HAVE CHOSEN TO EXCLUDE THEM.

WE DONT WANT THEM INHERITING OUR PROPERTY. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO GIVE THEM SOMETHING BIG AS A GIFT, EVEN LAND BUT NOT INHERITANCE THAT IS FOR MY WIFE AND SONS.
keep quite. Ur tradition is backward. Wht exactly is wrong with a female child.

That. The reason the yorubas will always be greater than u. We don't segregate GEnder.

In the West we have females taking control of there fathers company judiciously

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Pavore9: 9:56pm On Oct 08, 2016
OILSOUP:

U ARE STEPPING ON OUR TOES. SHOW SOME RESPECT. NOBODY WILL ANSWER THAT COURT AND ITS JUDGEMENT.

U DONT UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS US THE IGBOMEN AND THEIR FATHER THAT HAVE CHOOSEN TO EXCLUDE THEM.

WE DONT WANT THEM INHERIING OUR PROPERTY. IF SHE IS GOOD, WE WILL GIVE THEM SOMETHING BIG AS A GIFT, EVEN LAND.

What makes you think you are more igbo than me?

Whose crooked toes am l stepping on? shocked

My agreeing with your views does not increase my chances of making heaven, so why should l?

Better make sure you are alive till the next 100 years to make sure no igbo daughter inherit any property from her late father's estate!

6 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by swissmillionai: 9:58pm On Oct 08, 2016
oglalasioux:
Lols! Soon all outdated barbaric laws and customs will be put into the trash can of history including the bible and it's teachings.

Oga park well!!

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by OILSOUP: 10:00pm On Oct 08, 2016
orimsamsam:
keep quite. Ur tradition is backward. Wht exactly is wrong with a female child.

That. The reason the yorubas will always be greater than u. We don't segregate GEnder.

In the West we have taking control of her father company judiciously

OUR CUSTOMARY LAW ON INHERITANCE IS PERFECT. I WILL NOT JOIN ISSUE WHERE THEIR IS NONE.

A BIG YORUBA MAN LIKE URSELF HAVE NOTHING ON UR MIND BUT IGBO PEOPLE EVERYDAY.

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by deliveryboy: 10:01pm On Oct 08, 2016
OILSOUP:
AS LONG AS I HAVE GIVEN HER EDUCATION, LOVE AND CARE, TIME TO MARRY SHE CAN INHERIT HER HUSBAND, IF SHE WANT TO INHERIT FROM ME, SHE SHOULD FORGET MARRIAGE AND BECOME MY WIFE.

WE CAN DO IT LIKE THE YORUBAS AND START HAVING SEX WITH OUR DAUGHTERS.
ERRANT NONSENSE.

NO WONDER PEOPLE ARE SCREAMING BIAFRA, A YORUBA WANT TO USE SUPREME COURT TO FORCE OUR DAUGHTERS INTO INHERITING FATHER PROPERTY WEN BABALOJA AND MAMALOJA ARE STILL EXTORTING MONEY AND KILLING TRADERS IN LAGOS.

Great, So when her father dies Amadioha says she cannot inherit his property and her brothers will gleefully deprive her of her inheritance, she does not complain, she moves on and meets an Igbo guy, the guy dies, husband people comes, wash the dead body and put in a bowl, gives the woman to drink, she has to sleep in the same room with her husband's corpse for three days to prove her innocence, if innocent, the send her packing from their brother's house into the abyss. Are Igbo girls the Usu I have been hearing about? I laugh like Ikenga (dry skeletal laugh)

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Princy13: 10:01pm On Oct 08, 2016
angry

Thread for the oblong cone-headed amala and ewedu eaters to masturbate on.

If it were to be Ibos on the attack now they will say they have no respect for tradition and their elders.

Double-faced creatures.

Spits...

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Scholes007(m): 10:01pm On Oct 08, 2016
orimsamsam:
baba die first without a written will and see if the court won't decide ur case
and watch how the girl dies too. The land of kindred, no woman has right over it. The supreme court only pointed to land bought by the the parents not the kindred land.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by OILSOUP: 10:04pm On Oct 08, 2016
Pavore9:

What makes you think you are more igbo than me?

Whose crooked toes am l stepping on? shocked

My agreeing with your views does not increase my chances of making heaven, so why should l?

Better make sure you are alive till the next 100 years to make sure no igbo daughter inherit any property from her late father's estate!

U ARE NOT IGBO AND STOP PLAYING TO THE GALLERY. NIGERIA CAN END ANYTIME, U KNOW THIS.

LET US CALL THIS PERIOD, LAST ROUND OF LESSONS FOR IGBOS TO TAKE AWAY WITH THEM TO BIAFRA.

ONE THING IS CERTAIN AND U CAN BET UR LIFE ON IT, WE WILL CONTINUE TO PRACTICE OUR CUSTOMS, AS LONG AS WE ARE IGBOS.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by entrepreneurmic: 10:05pm On Oct 08, 2016
oglalasioux:
Lols! Soon all outdated barbaric laws and customs will be put into the trash can of history including the bible and it's teachings.
IT IS CLEAR THAT U DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE TEACHINGS OF THE BIBLE. FOR YOUR INFORMATION WHAT U SEE IN D WORLD TODAY HAD BEEN PREDICTED BY D BIBLE & IS HAPPENING NOW IN OUR TIME WHICH SHOWS THAT D BIBLE IS GOD'S WORD. D ONLY GOVT THAT CAN SOLVE ALL MAN'S PROBLEMS IS GOD'S KINGDOM. DO U REMEMBER D LORD'S PRAYER. PLEASD ALWAYS READ D BIBLE.
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Gerrard59(m): 10:05pm On Oct 08, 2016
I'm gutted with some my kinsmen comments here. Extremely outrageous.

So what if a family procreates only girls, the property l(ies) are willed to who? The man's brother(s) not his daughter(s)? shocked shocked

Kudos to Supreme Court. Hopefully, the "judge" won't have his home "invaded".

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by deliveryboy: 10:07pm On Oct 08, 2016
Scholes007:
and watch how the girl dies too. The land of kindred, no woman has right over it. The supreme court only pointed to bought by the the parents not the kindred land.

You are so pained, has it gotten to that? Your own daughters, it's your type that will consult juju on land matters

10 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by BodyKiss(m): 10:13pm On Oct 08, 2016
Young03:

aru!

Igbo aju kwa

Misogynist, you're to be avoided like a plague.

6 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by OILSOUP: 10:13pm On Oct 08, 2016
deliveryboy:

Great, So when her father dies Amadioha says she cannot inherit his property and her brothers will gleefully deprive her of her inheritance, she does not complain, she moves on and meets an Igbo guy, the guy dies, husband people comes, wash the dead body and put in a bowl, gives the woman to drink, she has to sleep in the same room with her husband's corpse for three days to prove her innocence, if innocent, the send her packing from their brother's house into the abyss. Are Igbo girls the Usu I have been hearing about? I laugh like Ikenga (dry skeletal laugh)

YORUBAS TALK ABOUT UR CULTURE AND STOP TALKING ABOUT FANTASY MOVIES U WATCHED IN NOLLYWOOD.

SHUT UP IF UR NOT IGBO, U KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IGBO PEOPLE OR THEIR WAY OF LIFE.

U CANNOT EVEN DIFFERENTIATE FANTASY FROM REALITY.

SHUT UP!

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Pavore9: 10:13pm On Oct 08, 2016
OILSOUP:

U ARE NOT IGBO AND STOP PLAYING TO THE GALLERY. NIGERIA CAN END ANYTIME, U KNOW THIS.

LAST US CALL THIS PERIOD LAST ROUND OF LESSON FOR IGBOS TO TAKE AWAY WITH THEM TO BIAFRA.

ONE THING IS CERTAIN AND U CAN BET UR LIFE ON IT, WE WILL CONTINUE TO PRACTICE OUR CUSTOMS.

AS LONG AS WE ARE IGBOS.

You only identify those who do not flow with your mindset as non-igbo, iberibe awu ndu!

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by OILSOUP: 10:15pm On Oct 08, 2016
Pavore9:

You only identify those who do not flow with your mindset as non-igbo, iberibe awu ndu!

UR NOT IGBO, I DO FEEL MOST TIMES U YORUBAS ARE PSYCHOTIC.

JUST LISTEN TO IGBOS ON THIS THREAD BOTH BOYS AND GIRLS AND DEN LISTEN TO YORUBAS LIKE URSELF, U KNOW YORUBAS ARE A HOPELESS CASE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Right Of Female Child To Inherit Properties In Igboland by Stanbeto: 10:16pm On Oct 08, 2016
I like this but it came too late after 35yrs 1981-2016

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Kindly Help Me Critique This four Bedroom Bungalow Plan / Houses Built Using Cargo Containers (Photos) / 12 Mtr DEEP& 6Mtrs DEEP PILLING BY MOORE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.