Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,290 members, 7,811,867 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (1030) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (796240 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1027) (1028) (1029) (1030) (1031) (1032) (1033) ... (1069) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 5:48pm On Mar 26
daveP:

Na God and Oluehi save Onome that day. Aunty go misfire pk.

We better play to get pk during the 90mins too. A 343 would make sense or 352. Unless Coach wants to play Okeke in Alozie spot. But Ashleigh as wb or lb is best.

Till then, Swart go hearam.
Ashleigh as WB? Na you type this thing?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 5:50pm On Mar 26
daveP:
Since that time, it's super hard to replicate this front 3. A front 3 that all 3 brought adequate threat individually. Not to talk of team effort too. I just feel Ordega wing is still empty sort of. It's never the same since she stopped being a regular.
It is not hard to replicate the front three. It is just that we now have many player fighting for the 3 spots.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:52pm On Mar 26
mostob:
You're actually describing Ucheibe here. When it comes to energy and ball-winning, who do you think does it better between Ucheibe and Abiodun? When you have 3 good midfielders fighting for 2 spots, you consider their individual qualities and how to arrive at the best compatibility. Dropping Abiodun doesn't mean she is not good enough after all there are enough minutes to go round. Ayinde gets the nod here for me.

At this stage we can say that the midfield is one of the toughest position in the SuperFalcons right now…

Having Ayinde, Ucheibe, Abiodun, T Payne and Echegini

The only reason I’m picking Payne ahead of Echegini is Experience right now, if not with the few games Onyi has played she’s top notch and would make any team roster in the World..

Don’t forget we still have Regina Otu, Amanda Mbadi, Chinaza Uchendu, Peace Efih, Esther Onyenezide and foreign born Elisha Sulola..!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:54pm On Mar 26
mostob:

It’s a mistake from his end… Ashleigh playing as a Left Back is because of the experience she has and how she understands football basis as a whole… Considering pace she isn’t there but makes up for it with her intelligent play.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:57pm On Mar 26
mostob:
It is not hard to replicate the front three. It is just that we now have many player fighting for the 3 spots.

I think we can have a front 3 of Babajide, Oshoala and Ajibade, they all have different and a lot of qualities that Randy can utilize as a big weapon for the team, They have Pace, Strength, Football Sense… Babajide a dangerous ball crosser, Oshoala a Box finisher, Ajibade can Play make from the flank.!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:03pm On Mar 26
Desiree Ellis, the head coach of Banyana Banyana, is gearing up her team for an epic showdown against Nigeria's Super Falcons in a crucial Olympic qualifier, and she's ready to use every advantage at her disposal

In an interview with SABC Sport, Desiree highlighted the strategic importance of playing at Loftus Stadium, where the high altitude could work in their favor. She also pointed out the team's recent success at the Aisha Buhari Cup in 2023 as a turning point, showcasing their determination and fearlessness on the field.

"These upcoming matches against the Super Falcons are crucial, and it's a 'winner takes all' situation," Desiree Ellis remarked. "We're focused on leveraging the altitude advantage at Loftus Stadium, especially in the early stages of the game."

Reflecting on their journey, Desiree emphasized the hunger and determination within the team, highlighting their absence from the previous Olympics and their strong desire to qualify this time around.

"The clash against Nigeria is significant, as both teams vie for a spot in the Olympics. It's been a long journey, and we're ready to give it our all," she added.

The stakes are high, and the winner of this clash will join a prestigious group alongside world champions Spain, Brazil, and Japan in the upcoming Olympics in Paris. Stay tuned for an electrifying showdown!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 7:13pm On Mar 26
That's one of my fears, the altitude. The NFF has never really prepared well for that. Stephen Keshi said that he was scared when the Eagles played in Johannesburg in 1993. He could barely breathe and it reminded him of Samuel Okwaraji's death.

The BBC interviewed Danny Shittu in 2010 and he also complained about the altitude in South Africa. England prepared their players by giving them sessions in a hyperbaric chamber and the BBC reporter asked why Nigeria did not do the same and Danny Shittu replied, "I don't know".

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 8:43pm On Mar 26
The weather in SA shouldn't be too bad, I think. April is Autumn weather in JoBurg, with moderate temps. The advantage for us is that our ladies play overseas and are very used to the cooling weather, especially at night.
The challenge will be playing in the heat in Abuja.
naptu2:
That's one of my fears, the altitude. The NFF has never really prepared well for that. Stephen Keshi said that he was scared when the Eagles played in Johannesburg in 1993. He could barely breathe and it reminded him of Samuel Okwaraji's death.

The BBC interviewed Danny Shittu in 2010 and he also complained about the altitude in South Africa. England prepared their players by giving them sessions in a hyperbaric chamber and the BBC reporter asked why Nigeria did not do the same and Danny Shittu replied, "I don't know".

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 8:51pm On Mar 26
AkinDS:
The weather in SA shouldn't be too bad, I think. April is Autumn weather in JoBurg, with moderate temps. The advantage for us is that our ladies play overseas and are very used to the cooling weather, especially at night.
The challenge will be playing in the heat in Abuja.

It's not the weather, it's the altitude. The height/elevation means that there is less oxygen (some of those stadiums are on mountains and Desiree Ellis said [in the interview that Deltamani posted] that she specifically chose this stadium because of the altitude).

It's very hard to breathe when there's very little oxygen (imagine having to run in that condition) and she said she plans to capitalise on this in the early stages of the match.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 8:58pm On Mar 26
I wanted to see the elevation, the altitude of that stadium and look at what I found.

For comparison, Abuja is 360m above sea level and Lagos is 41m.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 9:02pm On Mar 26
Ahead of the 2010 World Cup, England used hyperbaric chambers (aka oxygen bed) to prepare its players to play at such a high altitude with low oxygen.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 9:04pm On Mar 26
I hope the Falcons' medical team can come up with a solution.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 9:05pm On Mar 26
You're right. However, the fact that the game is at night might be a benefit to Nigeria.
Also, there is the option of training in Jos 4000ft above sea level (compared to JoBurgh (5700ft) might help.

The trick with playing at high altitude is to play the game within 48 hrs of your arrival there., which somewhat mitigates the challenges of breathing at high altitude.

BTW, the SF played very well in Addis, which is at 7700ft.
naptu2:

It's not the weather, it's the altitude. The height/elevation means that there is less oxygen (some of those stadiums are on mountains and Desiree Ellis said [in the interview that Deltamani posted] that she specifically chose this stadium because of the altitude).

It's very hard to breathe when there's very little oxygen (imagine having to run in that condition) and she said she plans to capitalise on this in the early stages of the match.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 9:11pm On Mar 26
AkinDS:
You're right. However, the fact that the game is at night might be a benefit to Nigeria.
Also, there is the option of training in Jos 4000ft above sea level (compared to JoBurgh (5700ft) might help.

The trick with playing at high altitude is to play the game within 48 hrs of your arrival there., which somewhat mitigates the challenges of breathing at high altitude.

BTW, the SF played very well in Addis, which is at 7700ft.

That's why I said that I hope that the Super Falcons' medical team comes up with a solution.

I remember that the Super Eagles medical team had a similar advice when they played in Ethiopia or Kenya a few years ago. The Eagles did well in the first half but seemed to tire out in the second.

The match will be played in Pretoria.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 9:14pm On Mar 26
Pretoria is even better, at ~ 4400 ft, which is close to the altitude in Jos.
naptu2:

That's why I said that I hope that the Super Falcons' medical team comes up with a solution.

I remember that the Super Eagles medical team had a similar advice when they played in Ethiopia or Kenya a few years ago. The Eagles did well in the first half but seemed to tire out in the second.

The match will be played in Pretoria.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 9:17pm On Mar 26
I sincerely think that our most important have is in Abuja. If we can get the job done there, south African with all the altitude won't be a problem

I'm the scheme of things, the altitude isn't a problem quite frankly.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:45pm On Mar 26
African Sisters Esther Onyenezide, Opeyemi Ajakaye and Grace Chanda of Zambia 🇿🇲

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:46pm On Mar 26
Deltamani:

At this stage we can say that the midfield is one of the toughest position in the SuperFalcons right now…

Having Ayinde, Ucheibe, Abiodun, T Payne and Echegini

The only reason I’m picking Payne ahead of Echegini is Experience right now, if not with the few games Onyi has played she’s top notch and would make any team roster in the World..

Don’t forget we still have Regina Otu, Amanda Mbadi, Chinaza Uchendu, Peace Efih, Esther Onyenezide and foreign born Elisha Sulola..!
So who would be your first choice Midfield three?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 10:13pm On Mar 26
Deltamani:

Omorrr… it seems you really noticed everything, it was more like Stella Mbachu passing the Baton to Fransisca Ordega then Franny dropping it like that without passing it to anyone…The 3 O’s back then from 2014 till after 2019 wha them scatter, our frontline not really remain the same again.. Desire Oparanozie was that typical no.9 doing all her job well, even though she wasn’t that quick she did the rest well..

Ordega and Oshoala workload then was so good, combining their Attacking duties with a lot of defensive duties too because they were just too quick so they travel to and fro on the flank and where also interchanging positions regularly..

Right now, i see no worthy heiress to take over that baton. I dunno about dem Ajakaye and co but for now....vacant

Make one Foreign born even step up abeg. Payne playing there vs Cameroon was headache for me and even herself. Like a sparrow inside a sunk ship. Not her forte atall. Funny enough, she's still active but not as lethal again. 3 Os
Now na 1 new O dey-Okoronkwo. K na off/on. B is really hot right now. A is still there, consistent too. But no attacking trio have stepped up as 3 Os till now.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 10:14pm On Mar 26
mostob:

My bad. 😂

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 10:25pm On Mar 26
Regina Otu look lost in Internationals Wilderness Right now… I still wondered how a good player like Ebere Orji still didn’t stay long in the National Team..! Faded away so quick..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 10:26pm On Mar 26
Pretty Zogg!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by 99thEnemy(m): 10:29pm On Mar 26
Deltamani:
Pretty Zogg!
damn! at least this one no resemble man like many others.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 9:00am On Mar 27
Deltamani:
Pretty Zogg!
i go pack her up after this year if nothing show o. cheesy
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:38am On Mar 27
Work in Progress!

Our very own version of Nadine Angerer..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 11:45am On Mar 27
So we have finally lost PSV 21yrs old Nina Iyobosa Nekpen Nijstad to the Netherlands… The Defender have been handed a Call up to the Senior National Team after playing for the Dutch side from age grade down to the U23 and now the Senior National Team…

Anyway GoodLuck to her, I remember she played against Nigeria at the last U20 World Cup …. She had interest of Playing for Nigeria long ago but didn’t get the Chance.!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:45pm On Mar 27
Valencia Central Midfielder Elisha Sulola

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:04pm On Mar 27
Nigeria U17 First Choice Goalkeeper Ijeoma Ozoma was in goal as Edo Queens earn a 4-2 defeat of Sunshine Queens with Goodness Osigwe getting a brace.

FT: Edo Queens 4-2 Sunshine Queens

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:04pm On Mar 27
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 7:07pm On Mar 27
Deltamani:
Valencia Central Midfielder Elisha Sulola

How far switch matter on Sulola. Abi na just Randy no get time?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:36pm On Mar 27
daveP:

How far switch matter on Sulola. Abi na just Randy no get time?

It’s a matter of Coach giving her a Call Up… No Switch required as she hasn’t played for England at any of the age grade level..

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:37pm On Mar 27
Deltamani:
Lyon vs Benfica

https://www.youtube.com/live/lFOWl9aOa0c?si=1CNnriWRwB5v83jE

What a quick response from Benfica

Lyon W (1) — (1) SL Benfica W
43' Cascarino D. (Le Sommer E.) [LYO]
45' Alidou d'Anjou M. (Sousa Alves L. C.) [SLB]

(1) (2) (3) ... (1027) (1028) (1029) (1030) (1031) (1032) (1033) ... (1069) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.