Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,055 members, 7,810,943 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:02 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (1031) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (795079 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1028) (1029) (1030) (1031) (1032) (1033) (1034) ... (1068) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 10:41pm On Mar 27
She (Elisha Sulola) and Edna Imade are in the same situation and are ready to go.
Deltamani:

It’s a matter of Coach giving her a Call Up… No Switch required as she hasn’t played for England at any of the age grade level..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 7:13am On Mar 28
Another ACL Injury

USWNT and Gotham player Midge Purce announces she's torn her ACL. She's out for the Season and won't be at the Olympics.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:02am On Mar 28
AkinDS:
She (Elisha Sulola) and Edna Imade are in the same situation and are ready to go.

And the both of them the Spot they will be fighting for in the team is very tough and are currently occupied by very talented Players too… Anyways both bring height to the midfield and attack!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:04am On Mar 28
lovewins:
Another ACL Injury

USWNT and Gotham player Midge Purce announces she's torn her ACL. She's out for the Season and won't be at the Olympics.

Sad one, I do feel for her though… But again she’s more like Monday Gift of the USWNT, She will perform today and end up doing the unexpected (average performance) the next opportunity....!
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 1:12pm On Mar 28
Transfer News

Experience Nigerian International Center Back MARIAM IBRAHIM JUKE (28yrs) Move from Turkey to Foshan Sanshui FC of China 🇨🇳.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:07pm On Mar 28
Onyi Zogg have resumed training… The good thing is she can play any position in the Defense Line..!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by yinkeys(m): 12:31pm On Mar 29
I am praying for Nigeria 2 - 0 South Africa grin
The games are close by
Less than 2 weeks grin
Falcons & Eagles have South Africa to contend with for important tickets.
The South Africans and their passing game though

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 1:03pm On Mar 29
yinkeys:
I am praying for Nigeria 2 - 0 South Africa grin
The games are close by
Less than 2 weeks grin
Falcons & Eagles have South Africa to contend with for important tickets.
The South Africans and their passing game though

The game is exactly 7 days away, that is 1 week away. "Less than 2 weeks" makes it seem long. Lol
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by yinkeys(m): 2:23pm On Mar 29
lovewins:

The game is exactly 7 days away, that is 1 week away. "Less than 2 weeks" makes it seem long. Lol
Are you afraid
South African football has improved in the last 5 years
Like they’ve caught up
They seem to pass better and are comfortable with keeping possession
Both male and female teams have won African medals within this period
I hope Nigeria isn’t just banking on talent to get us through
It will go down to préparation & who wants it more
Football experience can no longer help us because they’ve got it too
I hope Echegini & Esther play significant roles in the fixture
They’ve somewhat been impressive lately

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 2:28pm On Mar 29
yinkeys:

Are you afraid
Like they’ve caught up

Afraid? At all. While I agree that South African football has improved, it's still our ticket to lose. Really do hope Randy do not setup the girls to play scared. Like you said, we have to show that we want it more.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 2:35pm On Mar 29
lovewins:

Afraid? At all. While I agree that South African football has improved, it's still our ticket to lose. Really do hope Randy do not setup the girls to play scared. Like you said, we have to show that we want it more.

The girls better show they really want it more especially those Veterans in the team now? There’s no way Osinachi Ohale will be in the team for about 15yrs and not play in the Olympic Games… Asisat Oshoala, Halimatu Ayinde must show that they want it more and the Young lads will have to break it up too that they don’t want History in the past years to repeat itself!.

Infact the whole team should be hungry of the ticket. My only happiness right now is that the Midfield look pretty okay than before when we met South Africa.. The Presence of Ucheibe, Abiodun, Echegini will be able to change things..!
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 2:42pm On Mar 29
Deltamani:

The girls better show they really want it more especially those Veterans in the team now? There’s no way Osinachi Ohale will be in the team for about 15yrs and not play in the Olympic Games… Asisat Oshoala, Halimatu Ayinde must show that they want it more and the Young lads will have to break it up too that they don’t want History in the past years to repeat itself!.

Infact the whole team should be hungry of the ticket. My only happiness right now is that the Midfield look pretty okay than before when we met South Africa.. The Presence of Ucheibe, Abiodun, Echegini will be able to change things..!

Apt. Thing is the veterans in the team will determine the entire outlook of the team. If people like Oshoala, Ohale etc who haven't been to the Olympics their entire career do not show that they want it desperately, the younger folks will just tow the line. Whether on the pitch or on the bench, they have the lead their colleagues to glory.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 2:43pm On Mar 29
yinkeys:

Are you afraid
Like they’ve caught up
I hope Echegini & Esther play significant roles in the fixture
They’ve somewhat been impressive lately

If Echegini and Esther is to start, Randy should be bold enough to Drop Tony Payne and Asisat Oshoala from the Starting 11!

Which line up do you go with??

4-2-3-1

Nnadozie
Alozie—Ohale—Plumptre—N. Payne

Ayinde—- Ucheibe

Ajibade —- T. Payne— Kanu

Oshoala

OR

Nnadozie

Alozie— Ohale— Okeke—Plumptre

Ucheibe— Abiodun

Ajibade—- Echegini—- Kanu

Okoronkwo

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 2:48pm On Mar 29
lovewins:

Apt. Thing is the veterans in the team will determine the entire outlook of the team. If people like Oshoala, Ohale etc who haven't been to the Olympics their entire career do not show that they want it desperately, the younger folks will just tow the line. Whether on the pitch or on the bench, they have the lead their colleagues to glory.

Exactly… Imagine in the whole team Only Tochukwu Oluehi who have been in the team since 2006 that has been to the Olympic Games, the rest veterans need to step and Tochi really need to play a big role too by also guiding them on how and what it takes to play in the Olympic..

Asisat Oshoala really do need this to cement her legacy as the greatest cause In another 4Yrs she will be playing the role of offering Experience!..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 2:51pm On Mar 29
Desire Oparanozie did say in one of her interviews after retirement that her major regrets playing in the National Team was not been able to play in the Olympics and also turning down a huge offer from the NWSL because she had already settled down in France then..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 3:18pm On Mar 29
Deltamani:

Exactly… Imagine in the whole team Only Tochukwu Oluehi who have been in the team since 2006 that has been to the Olympic Games, the rest veterans need to step and Tochi really need to play a big role too by also guiding them on how and what it takes to play in the Olympic..

Asisat Oshoala really do need this to cement her legacy as the greatest cause In another 4Yrs she will be playing the role of offering Experience!..

If we are to follow history, this is Asisat's last opportunity to go to the Olympics. I really do doubt she'll be in the team in 4 years. Historically, only goalkeepers and defenders have a longer career in the Super Falcons. A few midfielders like Perpetua and Uncle where the outliers for midfielders. Very really do we see strikers aged 34 and above in the team. Abeg correct me if I'm wrong, I just can't off the top of my head recollect any. Maybe Stella Mbachu is the only forward but she wasn't as active in the later stages.

Mercy Akide retired under 30, Oparanozie too under 30. Forwards traditionally don't last long in the team as they easily get replaced. Oshoala should see this as her last opportunity even if there's a chance she'll make the next one.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:08pm On Mar 29
lovewins:

If we are to follow history, this is Asisat's last opportunity to go to the Olympics. I really do doubt she'll be in the team in 4 years. Historically, only goalkeepers and defenders have a longer career in the Super Falcons. A few midfielders like Perpetua and Uncle where the outliers for midfielders. Very really do we see strikers aged 34 and above in the team. Abeg correct me if I'm wrong, I just can't off the top of my head recollect any. Maybe Stella Mbachu is the only forward but she wasn't as active in the later stages.

Mercy Akide retired under 30, Oparanozie too under 30. Forwards traditionally don't last long in the team as they easily get replaced. Oshoala should see this as her last opportunity even if there's a chance she'll make the next one.

You’re right to some extent, But Stella Mbachu (45yrs) stayed very long in the SuperFalcons just as Perpetua Nkwocha, She stop being a starter in 2014 and decided to retire after the 2014 WAFCON, if it was some players I know they would have gone to the 2015 World Cup in CANADA to occupy space even when they knew they weren’t playing in that top level again…!

At 30+ to 34 I think she was still very influential 2010 down till 2014 when she was already 30+ she was still starting as was our major set-piece taker then at some point was taking penalties ahead of Nkwocha.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 4:11pm On Mar 29
lovewins:

But I can’t really remember any one again who was very influential in the team at 30+ from Midfield to Attack Starting games or a regular Sub!

Maybe Maureen Mmadu, Effiowan Ekpo but in the era 2007/8 they were already finding it difficult to start games for the Falcons..

So You’re Correct, Maybe I forgot one or two more players!
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 4:14pm On Mar 29
Deltamani:

You’re right to some extent, But Stella Mbachu (45yrs) stayed very long in the SuperFalcons just as Perpetua Nkwocha, She stop being a starter in 2014 and decided to retire after the 2014 WAFCON, if it was some players I know they would have gone to the 2015 World Cup in CANADA to occupy space even when they knew they weren’t playing in that top level again…!

At 30+ to 34 I think she was still very influential 2010 down till 2014 when she was already 30+ she was still starting as was our major set-piece taker then at some point was taking penalties ahead of Nkwocha.

Yea Stella Mbachu, that's why I put her name. You ordered probably missed that. Not sure we've had any striker that's been 30+ with significant minutes in the team the last 2 decades.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 4:36pm On Mar 29
Deltamani:

But I can’t really remember any one again who was very influential in the team at 30+ from Midfield to Attack Starting games or a regular Sub!

Maybe Maureen Mmadu, Effiowan Ekpo but in the era 2007/8 they were already finding it difficult to start games for the Falcons..

So You’re Correct, Maybe I forgot one or two more players!

The only reason Asisat will still be relevant in this team is of the current crop of young players do not step us. The only reason historically that strikers don't stay as long as midfielders and defenders on the team is because we've ALWAYS had great replacements. Most if not all of our notable strikers since 2008 joined the Super Falcons as regulars before they were 20.

Cynthia Uwak was in the team as early as 2004, sje was 17. She was key to the team at the 2007 world cup and 2008 olympics.

Vera Okolo was at the 2004 Olympics. She was 19. She was even nominated for Player of the year that year.

In recent history, Desire Oparanozie and Francesca Ordega began their Super Falcons journey in 2011 and we're both at thr World cup that year. They were both 17 yrs old.

Asisat Oshoala was named best player at the 2014 WAFCON. She was 19 yrs old. Rash Ajibade was 18 when she became active with the Falcons. I could go on and on.

We've seem flashes the last few years but no young players lately is making a case for themselves like we used to know. It's even more funny considering attack is one of the positions the falcons aren't that strong in at the moment.

People like Flourish and Ajakaye need to wake up. They seem to be the most probably in my opinion to get into the team and except they work very hard they will likely be over 20 before they settle into the team. The correct crop of u17 and u20 sadly aren't showing the kind of promise we are used to particularly at the forward position. Paradoxical it is on defence we seem to be getting players now. Who would have thought that in the last 2 years, only 2 age grade players have cemented a place for themselves in thr Super Falcons and both are defender in Demehin and Imuran. Even the recent invitation of an u20 team member is still a Defender. Times and seasons I guess.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:26pm On Mar 29
Galatasary/Nigeria international midfielder Chinaza Uchendu…

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 7:09pm On Mar 29
Attracting fans to the stadium.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 7:11pm On Mar 29
Bringing fans to the stadium.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by do4luv14(m): 8:50pm On Mar 29
naptu2:
Bringing fans to the stadium.

$ love this vibes mehn

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by do4luv14(m): 8:52pm On Mar 29
Deltamani:
Galatasary/Nigeria international midfielder Chinaza Uchendu…

You and oga lovewins try ooo,

weytin my bae do una, wey una no like to mention her in the scheme of things kwenu!!!
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:49pm On Mar 29
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 9:58pm On Mar 29
naptu2:

This is a great initiative, even though I think we should have moved past this. With good management, the Super Falcons should be a brand big enough to bring in the crowd. And no one should cite the economy excuse. Thousands of fans still pay every week (no matter how small) to see their NPFL teams.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 9:58pm On Mar 29
do4luv14:

You and oga lovewins try ooo,

weytin my bae do una, wey una no like to mention her in the scheme of things kwenu!!!

Your babe say she wan settle down na even though she's not leaving football. Lol.

You never tell us when wedding be o
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 10:04pm On Mar 29
naptu2:
The person in charge of marketing this stuff is really good. Using Alozie as the poster girl was a smart move. grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by yinkeys(m): 12:07am On Mar 30
When last did Oshoala turn up for Nigeria
You guys are hyping this girl too much o especially when she’s not in form
American League isn’t the best league in the world of late
Best league if you ask me is Spainish
This is South Africa we’d play
Coach better start Esther on the basis of form for Nigeria
Where do all the South Africans play sef

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by yinkeys(m): 12:16am On Mar 30
naptu2:
they better make the game 5pm or 4:30 pm
Else
Hot sun lol
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by yinkeys(m): 12:27am On Mar 30
lovewins:

They’ve got local teams that won caf champions league too. Male & Female
Our girls better come correct in the home game
I believe we will qualify though
Our squad is better than the last one that played them I believe
No Abiodun, Echegini, Okoronkwo back then
I hope Abuja stadium gets 30k spectators

(1) (2) (3) ... (1028) (1029) (1030) (1031) (1032) (1033) (1034) ... (1068) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: naptu2 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.