Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,969 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (206) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (808352 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) ... (1073) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 12:36pm On Jun 28, 2021
Banyana Banyana’s Netherlands trip called off
28 June 2021 – South Africa’s Senior National Women’s team (Banyana Banyana) trip to Netherlands has been called off after five of the travelling players tested positive for Covid-19. As a result, the entire delegation has been placed in isolation.

Banyana Banyana were scheduled to travel to Netherlands on Monday, 28 June 2021 and play the hosts on 3 July in Zwolle as part of their preparations for the CAF AWCON qualifiers scheduled for later this year.
Netherlands were to use the friendly international match to prepare for the upcoming Tokyo Olympics where they are favourites to win gold in the women football category.

Coach Desiree Ellis said while the cancellation of the trip was with heavy heart, people’s health and lives come first.

‘’This is a difficult time where we are in the middle of the third wave in our country, and unfortunately Banyana Banyana has not been spared from this pandemic. Due to positive cases in our camp, the full delegation has been put into isolation, and we will therefore not be able to honour the friendly fixture against the Netherlands,’’ said Ellis. “At this moment, of utmost importance is the health of everyone – both us and our opponents – and football takes second place.’’

Ellis thanked Netherlands for the invite and wished them well at the Olympics.

‘’Let me take this opportunity to thank Netherlands for the invite and also wish them all the best at the upcoming Tokyo Olympic Games. To my fellow South Africans, please take extra care and caution out there – Covid-19 is real, let’s protect each other by wearing masks in public, keeping a safe distance and sanitizing all the time.’’

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 12:48pm On Jun 28, 2021
Is it true zambia have been pulled from the Olympics because of covid - 19
Schemerkhiz:
Banyana Banyana’s Netherlands trip called off
28 June 2021 – South Africa’s Senior National Women’s team (Banyana Banyana) trip to Netherlands has been called off after five of the travelling players tested positive for Covid-19. As a result, the entire delegation has been placed in isolation.

Banyana Banyana were scheduled to travel to Netherlands on Monday, 28 June 2021 and play the hosts on 3 July in Zwolle as part of their preparations for the CAF AWCON qualifiers scheduled for later this year.
Netherlands were to use the friendly international match to prepare for the upcoming Tokyo Olympics where they are favourites to win gold in the women football category.

Coach Desiree Ellis said while the cancellation of the trip was with heavy heart, people’s health and lives come first.

‘’This is a difficult time where we are in the middle of the third wave in our country, and unfortunately Banyana Banyana has not been spared from this pandemic. Due to positive cases in our camp, the full delegation has been put into isolation, and we will therefore not be able to honour the friendly fixture against the Netherlands,’’ said Ellis. “At this moment, of utmost importance is the health of everyone – both us and our opponents – and football takes second place.’’

Ellis thanked Netherlands for the invite and wished them well at the Olympics.

‘’Let me take this opportunity to thank Netherlands for the invite and also wish them all the best at the upcoming Tokyo Olympic Games. To my fellow South Africans, please take extra care and caution out there – Covid-19 is real, let’s protect each other by wearing masks in public, keeping a safe distance and sanitizing all the time.’’
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 12:58pm On Jun 28, 2021
isan:
Is it true zambia have been pulled from the Olympics because of covid - 19

YES
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 2:10pm On Jun 28, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

YES
who will now replace them sir.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 2:42pm On Jun 28, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

YES
What's your source please?

This is the only thing i could pull up from the web, friendlies cancellation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/team-gb-zambia-friendly-cancelled-b1870691.html
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 3:39pm On Jun 28, 2021
As of today when I checked, the IOC still has Zambia Womens team listed.
They are in Group F: China PR, Brazil, Zambia, Netherlands.
JohnBullMySon:
What's your source please?

This is the only thing i could pull up from the web, friendlies cancellation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/team-gb-zambia-friendly-cancelled-b1870691.html

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 3:57pm On Jun 28, 2021
AkinDS:
As of today when I checked, the IOC still has Zambia Womens team listed.
They are in Group F: China PR, Brazil, Zambia, Netherlands.

Sorry didn't read well earlier on, Zambian didn't pull out of the Olympics games, their Friendly game against Great Britain was only Cancelled...

I'm sorry for that Mistake
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 7:03am On Jun 29, 2021
TAGOE: "GHANA ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK"
29 Jun 2021

Ghana get tough draw on the road to the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023
The Black Queens face Nigeria in the first round of qualifying
"Nigeria are the African champions, so there is no room for complacency"
Teams around the world are finally dreaming again of reaching the next FIFA Women’s World Cup™, and Ghana are among them. The Black Queens have featured at three previous editions of the tournament, most recently competing at China 2007 before failing to qualify for the Women’s World Cups in Germany, Canada and France.

Mercy Tagoe is now setting out to change all that by helping the team to rediscover their former strength. This will not be an easy undertaking, as Nigeria – the most challenging opponents of all – await them in the first round of qualifying for the CAF Women’s Africa Cup of Nations Morocco 2022.

"We always keep in mind that Nigeria are the African champions, so there is no room for complacency," Tagoe said in an interview with FIFA.com. "Aside from the technical and tactical aspect of training, we are doing a lot of psychological exercises. I did the same routine at the WAFU Zone B tournament in Côte d’Ivoire in 2018, and Ghana beat Nigeria for the first time at that event," she added.

This is how the black queens ended their 2018 WAFU Zone B Women's Cup campaign! �

— CAF Women (@CAFwomen) June 23, 2021
Could this be a good omen? Unlike Ghana, Nigeria have never missed a Women’s World Cup and are heading into these matches as clear favourites. "We have a lot of respect for Ghana. We know their strengths and qualities. No matter how difficult the task and how great the pressure, though, every player has to be up for it," Nigeria coach Randy Waldrum said after the draw. The strengths he mentions are increasing all the time and could help to take the Black Queens back to the top of the sport.

"The standard of the women’s football league in Ghana is high and impressive," explained the former Ghana international, who was part of the team that made their Women’s World Cup debut at USA 1999. "The competition itself is getting keener, which of course has helped to unearth some great talent. The new dates for the qualifiers will also help us to prepare the team very well in all aspects of the game. I believe Ghana are on the right track," she said.

"Right now, my team are not too bad, as every player is taking part in competitions at their various clubs. The only issue is that they need to continue training together for a while and play a series of friendlies both locally and internationally before I can consider them ready for any competitive matches or competitions."

While the national team take their first steps towards a bright future, the sport as a whole is also growing steadily in their homeland. The strategy for the women’s game in Ghana includes several key targets for training and developing referees, coaches, doctors and physiotherapists. Tagoe herself served as a referee in the Ghana Premier League before going into coaching and was named Sportswoman of the Year at the Entertainment Achievement Awards in March 2021.

"Women’s football is growing very fast considering how challenging it was in the past to get women to play football due to certain cultures, beliefs and values," explained the 47-year-old, who represented Bluna Ladies at club level during her playing career.

"Unfortunately in this part of the world [Africa], a woman is perceived as a homemaker and caregiver, and so it is the boys who have to go to school, hustle, work and make ends meet at home. That’s why getting families to understand the idea of women’s football and securing schools and careers for the players in Europe, Asia and the USA is something worth doing. Enlightening the players about education is, in turn, enough for every parent to allow their daughters to play football now in Africa. That’s why I believe that we’re moving in the right direction and that improvements can still be made if the appropriate authorities invest more in the women’s game."

Tagoe has overcome several challenges of her own to get to where she is today, having previously balanced the responsibilities of a wife, mother and homemaker with her work as an officer in the Ghana National Fire Service.

"Notwithstanding all that, I believe in dedication, self-discipline and perseverance as a stepping stone to achieving your goals, and that has been the bedrock of my success at this level," said the inspirational Ghanaian.

That's how you celebrate winning the Ghanian women's premiere league! �

Congrats @HasaacasLadies! �

You made us proud! �@wplgh_official | #ItsTimeItsNow pic.twitter.com/ObVnosSbGz

— CAF Women (@CAFwomen) June 27, 2021

The Black Queens are now aiming to write a successful new chapter in their history, and Tagoe is proud to be part of it – although she is quick to point out that there is still plenty of work to do. "The first job is to identify talented players, groom them with a proper grassroots development plan, help them by providing the necessary training and expanding capacity and, finally, monitor their progress closely," she explains, before emphasising that more support is needed to improve the women’s game in the country.

"At an administrative level, I think we should look at building capacity for all stakeholders – referees, coaches, administrators and the media – in order to enlighten them about the latest trends in their respective fields. Last but not least, introducing more cup competitions will keep the players active throughout the year, which will of course raise the level of the various national teams."

It could also help Ghana to reach their fourth Women’s World Cup.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 8:26am On Jun 29, 2021
E go shock this people.
Dem go soon know sey football no be by wearing specs

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 8:26am On Jun 29, 2021
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:08am On Jun 29, 2021
mostob:
E go shock this people.

Dem go soon know sey football no be by wearing specs

Even if we overcome Ghana, Ivory coast is still there for us to beat too...

With the adequate preparation the Superfalcons are getting, I believe this two teams can't stop us..

My only pain is Missing Central Midfielder Halimatu Ayinde to a Long term injury..

I just pray she recovers fast before the AWCON Tournament.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 12:50pm On Jun 29, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

Even if we overcome Ghana, Ivory coast is still there for us to beat too...

With the adequate preparation the Superfalcons are getting, I believe this two teams can't stop us..

My only pain is Missing Central Midfielder Halimatu Ayinde to a Long term injury..

I just pray she recovers fast before the AWCON Tournament.
Ayinde will surely be missed.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 4:19pm On Jun 29, 2021
Toni Payne extends deal with Sevilla
29th June 2021

Super Falcons of Nigeria forward, Toni Payne has extended her contract with Spanish Primera Division Women’s side, Sevilla FC.

Payne, 26, will play at the Spanish side for the next three years after the end of her previous contract.

The former Ajax player joined Sevilla in the 2018/2019 season and scored seven goals in 27 league games.

She scored five goals with five assists as Sevilla finished the 2020/2021 league season in eighth position with 45 points from 34 games.

The former American Youth International switched allegiance to Nigeria and played her first game for Super Falcons during Nigeria’s 1-0 victory over CSKA Moscow in the Turkish Women’s Cup and went on to represent the country at the 2021 Summer Series when she played against Jamaica, Portugal, and USA.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 6:02pm On Jun 29, 2021
Schemerkhiz:
Toni Payne extends deal with Sevilla
29th June 2021

Super Falcons of Nigeria forward, Toni Payne has extended her contract with Spanish Primera Division Women’s side, Sevilla FC.

Payne, 26, will play at the Spanish side for the next three years after the end of her previous contract.

The former Ajax player joined Sevilla in the 2018/2019 season and scored seven goals in 27 league games.

She scored five goals with five assists as Sevilla finished the 2020/2021 league season in eighth position with 45 points from 34 games.

The former American Youth International switched allegiance to Nigeria and played her first game for Super Falcons during Nigeria’s 1-0 victory over CSKA Moscow in the Turkish Women’s Cup and went on to represent the country at the 2021 Summer Series when she played against Jamaica, Portugal, and USA.

Well deserved!
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 11:17pm On Jun 29, 2021
Bootleg version of Jamaica vs Nigeria - Summer Series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-F966ZiLvg
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 11:29pm On Jun 29, 2021
Still don't know why Roosa was subbed out in the 42nd minute. She was playing well at the time.
Also, liked the Central defense partnership between Zogg and Demehin.
AkinDS:
Bootleg version of Jamaica vs Nigeria - Summer Series.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 12:11pm On Jun 30, 2021
Roosa Ariyo: UDG Tenerife signs Nigeria striker from TiPS

Roosa Ariyo has joined Spanish Primera Iberdrola side UDG Tenerife on a two-year deal from Finnish outfit TiPS.

Ariyo, who is born in Finland to a Nigerian father and Finnish mother, arrived at the Spanish club – her third move in Europe – after parting ways with Tikkurilan Palloseura this summer.

The 27-year-old caught the eye of the scouting team at the Spanish outfit following her impressive start for the Finnish outfit, having scored nine goals in nine appearances and they moved swiftly to secure her signature.

On completing move to Estadio Francisco Suarez, the striker expressed joy over the move to Spain and is eager to hit the ground running in the Canary Islands in the coming 2021-22 season.

“I am very happy to sign with UDG Tenerife Egatesa. They have given me very good references on how the club works," Ariyo told the club website.

"I hope to contribute all my virtues in a very attractive competition and I hope to restore the confidence of the board with goals and good performance. I'm looking forward to meeting my teammates and the fans."

At TiPS, the 27-year-old, contributed 15 assists and 21 goals in 25 games across three seasons with the Vantaa based outfit.

Before her spell with TiPS, the striker had launched her professional career with Finnish side Honka where she won the 2014 Finnish Cup during her four-season stint and later left for Swedish Elittetan club Jitex where she contributed total of 27 goals, under a total of 50 games during her lone season.

Her move to Tenerife will see her become the third African to be on the books of the Spanish giants after Cameroon midfielder Raissa Feudjio and Cote d'Ivoire striker Ange N'Guessan.

Her arrival also increases the number of Nigerians in the Spanish top-flight to 10, after Levante duo of Francisca Ordega and Andrea Okene, Eibar's Charity Adule, Barcelona's Asisat Oshoala, Sevilla's Toni Payne.

Other Nigerians are Atletico Madrid's Rasheedat Ajibade and Madrid CFF quartet of Rita Chikwelu, Ogonna Chukwudi, Osinachi Ohale and Chidinma Okeke.

On the global stage, she made her senior debut for Nigeria on 10 June 2021 in a 1-0 Summer Series opening loss to Jamaica in Houston, Texas, where she featured for 45 minutes of the encounter.

Her signing also will improve the attacking ranks of Francis Díaz's side after they failed to clinch a Uefa Women's Champions League spot, having finished the outgone season in sixth with 58 points from 34 matches.

She is expected to arrive for her medicals in the coming days before uniting with her teammates at Tenerife ahead of the new 2021-22 Spanish Primera Iberdrola campaign which kicks off on September 4, 2021.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 2:17pm On Jun 30, 2021
PDPGuy:

Well deserved!

Sure, Even Barcelona wanted Toni but still gave some good reasons why she considered staying out at Sevilla which included becoming the face of the team and a regular feature
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:14pm On Jun 30, 2021
Schemerkhiz:
Roosa Ariyo: UDG Tenerife signs Nigeria striker from TiPS

Roosa Ariyo has joined Spanish Primera Iberdrola side UDG Tenerife on a two-year deal from Finnish outfit TiPS.

Ariyo, who is born in Finland to a Nigerian father and Finnish mother, arrived at the Spanish club – her third move in Europe – after parting ways with Tikkurilan Palloseura this summer.

The 27-year-old caught the eye of the scouting team at the Spanish outfit following her impressive start for the Finnish outfit, having scored nine goals in nine appearances and they moved swiftly to secure her signature.

On completing move to Estadio Francisco Suarez, the striker expressed joy over the move to Spain and is eager to hit the ground running in the Canary Islands in the coming 2021-22 season.

“I am very happy to sign with UDG Tenerife Egatesa. They have given me very good references on how the club works," Ariyo told the club website.

"I hope to contribute all my virtues in a very attractive competition and I hope to restore the confidence of the board with goals and good performance. I'm looking forward to meeting my teammates and the fans."

At TiPS, the 27-year-old, contributed 15 assists and 21 goals in 25 games across three seasons with the Vantaa based outfit.

Before her spell with TiPS, the striker had launched her professional career with Finnish side Honka where she won the 2014 Finnish Cup during her four-season stint and later left for Swedish Elittetan club Jitex where she contributed total of 27 goals, under a total of 50 games during her lone season.

Her move to Tenerife will see her become the third African to be on the books of the Spanish giants after Cameroon midfielder Raissa Feudjio and Cote d'Ivoire striker Ange N'Guessan.

Her arrival also increases the number of Nigerians in the Spanish top-flight to 10, after Levante duo of Francisca Ordega and Andrea Okene, Eibar's Charity Adule, Barcelona's Asisat Oshoala, Sevilla's Toni Payne.

Other Nigerians are Atletico Madrid's Rasheedat Ajibade and Madrid CFF quartet of Rita Chikwelu, Ogonna Chukwudi, Osinachi Ohale and Chidinma Okeke.

On the global stage, she made her senior debut for Nigeria on 10 June 2021 in a 1-0 Summer Series opening loss to Jamaica in Houston, Texas, where she featured for 45 minutes of the encounter.

Her signing also will improve the attacking ranks of Francis Díaz's side after they failed to clinch a Uefa Women's Champions League spot, having finished the outgone season in sixth with 58 points from 34 matches.

She is expected to arrive for her medicals in the coming days before uniting with her teammates at Tenerife ahead of the new 2021-22 Spanish Primera Iberdrola campaign which kicks off on September 4, 2021.

Na wa for Spain oooo. The girl has only been Nigerian for one week and they already snap her up grin. Spain is now the second home for Nigerian footballers. Good to see.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Na wa for Spain oooo. The girl has only been Nigerian for one week and they already snap her up grin. Spain is now the second home for Nigerian footballers. Good to see.

Spain don overtake Sweden for the Superfalcon players matter ooo
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 3:20pm On Jun 30, 2021
Delighted for Roosa. She has worked hard and is being rewarded for her hard work.
The Spanish Iberdrola would rank in the top 3 Women's leagues in Europe. Tenerife is also a top tier club in that league.
This should help her become better and hopefully, we will see more of her in the Super Falcons!
Congrats, Roosa!
BascoVanVeli:

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:34pm On Jun 30, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

Spain don overtake Sweden for the Superfalcon players matter ooo

I tell u
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 3:58pm On Jun 30, 2021
Toni will chop bench in Barcelona and we don't want that we need her to play every week to be inform for AWCON
Schemerkhiz:

Sure, Even Barcelona wanted Toni but still gave some good reasons why she considered staying out at Sevilla which included becoming the face of the team and a regular feature
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 4:10pm On Jun 30, 2021
Not so sure she would.
She would more than hold her own at Barca Feminino, if the opportunity arose.
isan:
Toni will chop bench in Barcelona and we don't want that we need her to play every week to be inform for AWCON
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 5:50pm On Jun 30, 2021
isan:

She would get to play but would share the minutes, Seville FC play plays a little similar football like Barcelona Femenino..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 5:51pm On Jun 30, 2021
Midfielder Regina Otu, playing for Minsk FC of Belarus..

Good that we would be having her in the team for the July Camp.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:24pm On Jun 30, 2021
Schemerkhiz:
Midfielder Regina Otu, playing for Minsk FC of Belarus..

Good that we would be having her in the team for the July Camp.

What position
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:31pm On Jun 30, 2021
isan:

They are not going to use a non EU slot for her to be a squad player. She would play. She always gives them a rough time whenever they play
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 9:04pm On Jun 30, 2021
DM
Looks like a straight swap for Halimat Ayinde
BascoVanVeli:

What position
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:15pm On Jun 30, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

What position

She plays Defensive Midfield, Box-to-Box and as a Central Midfielder...
24yrs old...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 9:40pm On Jun 30, 2021
Now you can watch the ladies UCL on YouTube.

Which of our ladies are involved please?

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:57pm On Jun 30, 2021
NFF still trying as much as possible to Secure an international Friendly game for the Superfalcon this July...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) ... (1073) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.