Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,016 members, 7,810,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (205) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (794978 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) ... (1068) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 3:40pm On Jun 23, 2021
Catch up with Superfalcon makeshift Right Back Mitchelle Alozie

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by carbonado(m): 4:21pm On Jun 23, 2021
Schemerkhiz:
Catch up with Superfalcon makeshift Right Back Mitchelle Alozie
....Nice....
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 7:15pm On Jun 24, 2021
NFF Empanels LOC For Aisha Buhari Invitational Tournament

The Nigeria Football Federation has released the names of members of the local organizing committee for the First Lady of Nigeria Invitational Women’s Tournament (Aisha Buhari Cup) that the country will host in September 2021.

NFF’s 1st Vice President, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi, is Chairman of the Committee, which has, among other terms of reference, been saddled with the responsibility of organizing a befitting tournament that will uphold the good name and image of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The tournament will hold 14th – 20th September in Lagos.

A nominee of the Lagos State Government will serve as Vice Chairman, and Members include Alhaji Ibrahim Gusau, Chairman of Chairmen and Member of the NFF Executive Committee. Another Member of the NFF Executive Committee and Chairman of the Nigeria Women Football League, Aisha Falode is Director of Organization, with Amina Daura, NFF’s Head of Women’s Football, as deputy director.

Hon. Ayo Hulayat Omidiran, AIG Umar Baba, Hon. Margaret Icheen, Mrs Chisom Ezeoke, Kemi Areola, Mr Ademola Olajire, Mrs Ufuoma McDermott, Ms Ese Okpomo, Yinka Olagbemiro and Kola Daniel are other members. The Secretary is Ruth David, NFF’s Ag. Director of Competitions.

FULL LIST: Seyi Akinwunmi (Chairman); LASG Nominee (Vice Chairman); Ibrahim Gusau (Member); Aisha Falode (Director of Organization); Amina Daura (Deputy Director of Organization); Margaret Icheen (Member); Ayo Omidiran (Member); Umar Baba (Member); Chisom Ezeoke (Member); Kemi Areola (Member); Ademola Olajire (Member); Ufuoma McDermott (Member); Ese Okpomo (Member); Yinka Olagbemiro (Member); Kola Daniel (Member); Ruth David (Secretary)

TERMS OF REFERENCE

1) The Local Organizing Committee shall be saddled with the responsibility of organizing a befitting tournament that will uphold the good name and image of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

2) The Committee shall liaise with the Lagos State Government with a view to ascertaining the readiness of all facilities and equipment for the Tournament, and to advise in good time where necessary for upgrading and renewal of such facilities/equipment.

3) The Committee shall work in tandem with the Lagos State Government with a view to determining and ascertaining the materials, implements, instruments and accoutrements that are needed in the areas of transportation, accommodation, security, medical, stadium preparation, information technology, protocol and ceremonial, and other organizational areas.

4) The Committee will have responsibility to liaise with NFF’s Partners, Sponsors and Supporters, and other interested corporate entities, with a view to sourcing funds for the successful organization of the tournament.

5) The Committee will have responsibility to establish contact with the other participating countries/teams with a view to managing seamless travel and other logistic arrangements for all delegations.

6) The Committee shall liaise with the Referees Committee of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) with a view to ensuring the appointment of the very best/most credible referees to officiate at the tournament.

7) The Committee should seek the approval of the NFF President through the NFF General Secretary on sensitive issues. Also, the NFF shall intervene when breaches of any kind are observed.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 11:39pm On Jun 26, 2021
Payne scored a beauty for sevilla today , she need to move to a big club next season
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 2:42am On Jun 27, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 2:50am On Jun 27, 2021

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 2:53am On Jun 27, 2021
isan:
Payne scored a beauty for sevilla today , she need to move to a big club next season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JdCUzUt6A8

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 3:22am On Jun 27, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRnp421YPIY
Super Falcons Training session in Houston
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 3:24am On Jun 27, 2021
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 5:11am On Jun 27, 2021
Nigeria Superfalcon to resume another Camp in July.

#Unconfimed...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 6:40am On Jun 27, 2021
Schemerkhiz:
Nigeria Superfalcon to resume another Camp in July.

#Unconfimed...
For what?? Friendlies?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 8:18am On Jun 27, 2021
With the we have been active this year Ghana should be a cake walk home and away

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 12:59pm On Jun 27, 2021
Who noticed Ifeoma Onomonwu wasn't at her top Performance at the Summer Series in USA??

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 5:35pm On Jun 27, 2021
How can we know when we never watch her play
Schemerkhiz:
Who noticed Ifeoma Onomonwu wasn't at her top Performance at the Summer Series in USA??
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:31pm On Jun 27, 2021
isan:

Go ahead and watch her play, She plays for
Gotham FC in the best Women Football League in the World... (NWSL)
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:33pm On Jun 27, 2021
Confirmed

Superfalcon to Camp in Europe this Coming July, List will be out soon...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:36pm On Jun 27, 2021
isan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHNDqzotskc
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 6:56pm On Jun 27, 2021
She is naturally shy and I think she felt a bit out of place, not in a bad way though, as she mentioned in an article I read yesterday...

Ifeoma Onumonu’s first games with Nigeria were a cultural education
https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2021/06/25131409/GettyImages-1233543030.jpg

By Steph Yang Jun 25, 2021 10
Ifeoma Onumonu’s first national-level cap came as a substitute, coming on for Nigeria in the 55th minute against Jamaica in U.S. Soccer’s Summer Series. Then came a start against Portugal, and then 25 minutes against the U.S. It was another step in Onumonu’s steady ascension after the California native was approached by Super Falcons head coach Randy Waldrum late last year.

But while Onumonu seemed to fit right in on the field, off the field it was a more complex situation.

“I’m an introvert. I’m not very good at being the one to talk first,” Onumonu said in a phone call after returning to Gotham FC after the Summer Series.

There were familiar faces. One-time U.S. youth soccer teammate Toni Payne, whom Onumonu said she considered a good friend, was also on the Nigeria roster. Former NWSL favorite Franny Ordega also helped her acclimate to the group.

“She was definitely one of those people that was like, hey, come here, sit here. Tell us more about yourself,” Onumonu said.

Still, Onumonu said she felt a disconnect in the locker room as someone who has gone through life as a Black American while being taught her parents’ Nigerian culture.

One of the most obvious divides between Onumonu and her teammates was the language. “There are three main languages in Nigeria. So there’s Hausa, there’s Yoruba, and there’s Igbo. I am Igbo. I do not speak it at all,” Onumonu said. She was raised in Southern California where her parents would speak Igbo to each other, but not to her.

“I think they kind of had that approach like, we’re in American now. And we really have to integrate ourselves into American culture, if you want to survive,” she said. “It’s just like, you’re an American. We’re here. We worked so hard to be here. And we worked so hard to make you an American. So that’s what you’re going to be.”

Onumonu qualifies to represent Nigeria through her parents, both of them dual citizens who were born in Nigeria, and it was that duality that Onumonu pointed to as part of her biggest adjustment in joining the team, more than any on-field tactics. “Soccer is soccer,” she said. The essentials of the game are the same wherever you go. But learning who your teammates are and the dynamics of a locker room — that can take a different kind of adaptation, especially when you come from different countries and cultures.

“I was raised in America and have kind of, like, an American mindset-style,” she said. “I am Nigerian, but obviously haven’t been there since I was very young. So, I think for me, that was the biggest adjustment I had to make. Trying to fit into the team, fit into the culture, integrate myself into the culture again. So, yeah, I think that’s really the biggest learning I have to do. But the women there were amazing, very welcoming, and it is such a bright and warm culture at the same time.”

“It’s like, sometimes I didn’t feel fully Nigerian,” she said. “But obviously, that’s not my fault. I think when (my teammates) see me, I’m supposed to be Nigerian. But at the same time, I’m like, okay, yes, but there’s also this part of my experiences and how I was raised, where I was raised, that shaped my thinking, shaped who I am that is different from you.”

Her teammates reacted with disbelief when she couldn’t speak any Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, or pidgin, and would mention that she should learn. “And I’m like, I understand that. But you act like I had a choice in all this,” Onumonu said with a gentle laugh. That was often her tone as she thoughtfully considered her place among a squad that made her feel welcome, but sometimes could also make her feel isolated due to their differences.

“I’m looking forward to just learning more about my heritage and knowing more about the Nigerian side of my culture,” She said. “Because I feel like there has been, because I was raised in the US, there has been lacking on that side. So being with the team has opened my eyes to, you know, that there’s so much more.”

It’s a common experience among American immigrants, seeing their U.S.-born children grow up completely immersed in a culture different to their own, only to become adults without strong ties to their parents’ home. It’s not universal of course; immigration stories run an enormous spectrum of experiences and emotions. Some immigrants do their best to keep to the traditions and beliefs of their mother culture; others leave their histories behind and attempt to assimilate into local culture. There’s no one authentic story of immigration. But many first-generation children find themselves searching for connections and histories, trying to reconcile experience and identity into one coherent life instead of two distinct lives that straddle an invisible line – a line that can shift depending on where you are and who is perceiving you.

Among any culture or ethnic group there’s a range of identity and experience, but often these groups tend to get flattened into homogeneity in the United States

“Because I am Black in America – I consider myself Nigerian – but in America, when people see me, I’m Black,” said Onumonu. And in a room where everyone saw her as Nigerian, just as everyone else in the room was Nigerian, Onumonu felt something she didn’t even realize was missing until she had it.

You don’t really realize that there’s that lack there until you find out that there’s so much more,” she said. “I didn’t realize like, wow, this is what it feels like to have, and be surrounded by other people that are not necessarily Black but Nigerian, in being there and experiencing that and the way they think and how they feel. And I’m like, wow, I didn’t really know that I was missing all of this and that there is so much more that I can add to my experience.”

(Photo: Robin Alam / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
Schemerkhiz:
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 7:01pm On Jun 27, 2021
who are we playing?
Schemerkhiz:
Confirmed

Superfalcon to Camp in Europe this Coming July, List will be out soon...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 7:04pm On Jun 27, 2021
AkinDS:
She is naturally shy and I think she felt a bit out of place, not in a bad way though, as she mentioned in an article I read yesterday...

She would definitely adapt sooner than later..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 7:04pm On Jun 27, 2021
AkinDS:
who are we playing?

Can't tell yet, but Coach already confirmed that we're Camping in Europe...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 7:06pm On Jun 27, 2021
One game or two?
Schemerkhiz:

Can't tell yet, but Coach already confirmed that we're Camping in Europe...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 7:09pm On Jun 27, 2021
Agree. No discountenancing the fact that she is an imposing player, with pace. The additional camping environment will be helpful for her.
BTW, what happened with Roosa? Was surprised she didn't get more game time. She seemed like she integrated well and was accepted by the team.
Schemerkhiz:

She would definitely adapt sooner than later..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 7:45pm On Jun 27, 2021
AkinDS:
Agree. No discountenancing the fact that she is an imposing player, with pace. The additional camping environment will be helpful for her.
BTW, what happened with Roosa? Was surprised she didn't get more game time. She seemed like she integrated well and was accepted by the team.

Zogg and Roosa were not supposed to be in this squad for the Summer Series, we were supposed to have them in Camp by September for the 6 Nations Tournament in Lagos but due to the withdrawal of some of the team regular player's, Coach had no choice than to bring them in earlier than expected..

We're hoping that Ashleigh Plumptre get cleared by FIFA, ASAP before the September Camp..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 7:45pm On Jun 27, 2021
AkinDS:
One game or two?

Will get back to you....
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 8:09pm On Jun 27, 2021
In as long as she is still in Waldrum's plans, that's fine.
Speaking of the 6-Nation Invitational, there was talk about expanding it to include Argentina and Romania. Is that still in the works?
Not sure of the intelligence of inviting Ghana to participate, considering we will be playing them in October and that will pretty much give them all the intel they need.

Schemerkhiz:

Zogg and Roosa were not supposed to be in this squad for the Summer Series, we were supposed to have them in Camp by September for the 6 Nations Tournament in Lagos but due to the withdrawal of some of the team regular player's, Coach had no choice than to bring them in earlier than expected..

We're hoping that Ashleigh Plumptre get cleared by FIFA, ASAP before the September Camp..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by carbonado(m): 9:15pm On Jun 27, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

Will get back to you....
... Please, if you can get word to the F. A, we do not want Ghana in the 6 nations tournament.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 9:30pm On Jun 27, 2021
AkinDS:
In as long as she is still in Waldrum's plans, that's fine.
Speaking of the 6-Nation Invitational, there was talk about expanding it to include Argentina and Romania. Is that still in the works?
Not sure of the intelligence of inviting Ghana to participate, considering we will be playing them in October and that will pretty much give them all the intel they need.

Don't you think we need the Intel on them as well?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 10:05pm On Jun 27, 2021
You have a point regarding the intel.
However, considering the fact that they have yet to kick a ball since their friendly with Morocco in 2020, why would you give them an opportunity to knock off the rust by letting them play multiple games in the 6-Nation Invitational?
It would make sense not to give them an opportunity to get themselves organized and let them remain rusty, wouldn't it?
JohnBullMySon:
Don't you think we need the Intel on them as well?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 10:48pm On Jun 27, 2021
AkinDS:
You have a point regarding the intel.
However, considering the fact that they have yet to kick a ball since their friendly with Morocco in 2020, why would you give them an opportunity to knock off the rust by letting them play multiple games in the 6-Nation Invitational?
It would make sense not to give them an opportunity to get themselves organized and let them remain rusty, wouldn't it?
Playing a rusty team would be a treat!

And the squad would be different from last year as well. I would like a 4-nil thrashing at home, so that Ghana will play the next leg with fear and tension. Do you know who hosts who first?

CC: Schemerkhiz
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 10:58pm On Jun 27, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Playing a rusty team would be a treat!

And the squad would be different from last year as well. I would like a 4-nil thrashing at home, so that Ghana will play the next leg with fear and tension. Do you know who hosts who first?

CC: Schemerkhiz

Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 12:01am On Jun 28, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

Nigeria
That's bad. We just have to trash this people at home.

(1) (2) (3) ... (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) ... (1068) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.