Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,808 members, 7,956,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:32 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (203) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (931397 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) ... (1180) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by labas370(f): 4:26am On Jun 17, 2021
This USA match, we played 3-5-2.
If we should use this same formation against other African teams, it will be 10:0 trashing

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Joanney: 4:32am On Jun 17, 2021
labas370:
I don't think its same match we all watched.. this team that played today, I'd the had played like this against Jamaica, we would have trashed Jamaica..
All of them have good account of themselves.. I'm very proud of this team and very proud of the coach. He is tactically and technically better than rohr...

So true.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 4:37am On Jun 17, 2021
labas370:
This USA match, we played 3-5-2.
If we should use this same formation against other African teams, it will be 10:0 trashing
Well I think the falcons in the set of Perpetua Nwokocha and Vera Okolo would have scored against this U.S team. There was nothing really special about this U.S team.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by carbonado(m): 4:38am On Jun 17, 2021
labas370:
I don't think its same match we all watched.. this team that played today, I'd the had played like this against Jamaica, we would have trashed Jamaica..
All of them have good account of themselves.. I'm very proud of this team and very proud of the coach. He is tactically and technically better than rohr...

.... I think people just watch games and expect miracle to happen, as against putting things into perspective. We played the no 1 team in the world. They came with their big time players, against a no 37 team in the world. We did well, ofcourse there are alot to take away from this game. The coach will watch enough tapes and work on the flaws we had in the game. If only we could transition quickly and couter them, maybe we could have scored a goal. Ultimately, the team is work in progress.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by labas370(f): 4:49am On Jun 17, 2021
I don't think so.. those sets lack international club exposure and experiences and costed them during the fifa world cups.. playing in good league is very important. This is like saying, a team made up of players from rivers angel will easily win teams parading players from Lyon, PSG, Barca, Chelsea, wolfsburg, etc.. nah.. that team would have been trashed more than 4:0 today.. no offense, they were great. But football has improved and involves a lot of absorbing the tactically part of the game.

That ogbonna, I decided to watch her game today without being biased and I saw great improvements apart from the mistake she did. I can't call it a mistake but lack of experience. If she was a defender playing in Spain or Sweden, she would have learned and mastered how to defend in situations like that. As long as women football is concerned, Club experience is very important.

Technically, do you know that the zambian female teams are blessed more than the Nigerian team? But what kills them off is lack of experience and exposure. They don't know when to release the ball, when and were to commit a foul, when to dribble and when not to dribble etc..

GeneralDae:

Well I think the falcons in the set of Perpetua Nwokocha and Vera Okolo would have scored against this U.S team. There was nothing really special about this U.S team.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by labas370(f): 4:54am On Jun 17, 2021
We are actually 38 and supposed to be the whopping team of this tournament.

Some people think you can come from Africa, to play the no1 team on their home soil and win them easily just like that... this is a wonderful result.. the 2 goals were all scored during the injury time of both halves. This is to show that the players gave good account of themselves but felt lackadaisical during both added injury times

carbonado:
.... I think people just watch games and expect miracle to happen, as against putting things into perspective. We played the no 1 team in the world. They came with their big time players, against a no 37 team in the world. We did well, ofcourse there are alot to take away from this game. The coach will watch enough tapes and work on the flaws we had in the game. If only we could transition quickly and couter them, maybe we could have scored a goal. Ultimately, the team is work in progress.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 4:55am On Jun 17, 2021
PDPGuy:

Agreed! Some of her runs prevented this game from being a whitewash in favor of the US.

This Summer series has virtually stamped Oluehi’s place at the next Nations Cup and World Cup, fitness permitting
Seriously?

It's like you've forgotten who Nnadozie is. One of the best female goalkeepers in the world presently.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Clint02(m): 4:57am On Jun 17, 2021
labas370:
Dude, we would have trashed them... our defence is solid. What we miss in the midfield is a player like kante and we have that person in Payne's sister... she can charge for the ball. I would have preferred Gift to ifeoma. Okeke did well.. what we lacked at that game against Jamaica was defence organisation.. Ebi tried to do that against Portugal but wasn't that so perfect, but today, there was tremendous improvement.

There is no way we would have scored with the way we played today. No reasonable play upfront that would have resulted to a goal. We simply defended. And if we defended against Jamaica like this,without a sharp attack to compliment it,we will not see a single goal. No progression from midfield to attack.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by drDoom3(m): 4:57am On Jun 17, 2021
GeneralDae:

I thought I was the only one seeing this. I watched USA at the last world cup, they were much more deadlier than this. The reason it looked liked they played well was because we kept inviting them on to attack and soaking up pressure. If you want to park bus, at least have a counter attacking threat, else it will just be a walk-over. The most annoying thing I noticed in this game was that we were a lot stronger physically than them. Alozie was much more athletic than Rapinoe, that was why Rapinoe was quiet throughout. We were winning aerial and ground duels. I feel like if we had come out to play them, our athleticism would have caused their backline some problems. The few times we did that, look at how they easily gave the ball away.

We just automatically assumed that because they are the number 1 in the world, we had no chance against them and our best bet was to sit back and soak up pressure. That is not how football works nowadays. Better to threaten them in the attacking end and lose 4-2 than to pose no single threat throughout the game, look weak and impotent, and still lose 2-0.

Look at the game against Portugal, see how it started. If we had taken our early chances, we might have scored up to 2 goals in the first 30 minutes. If we decided to sit back throughout the game like we did in this one, Portugal may have scored one and that's it. But we came out and showed them what we could do, and if not for silly defensive mistakes we would have beaten Portugal.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by drDoom3(m): 5:01am On Jun 17, 2021
labas370:

Some people think you can come from Africa, to play the no1 team on their home soil and win them easily just like that... this is a wonderful result.. the 2 goals were all scored during the injury time of both halves. This is to show that the players gave good account of themselves but felt lackadaisical during both added injury times

Game that I watched lol. I was embarrassed by the way we played. It was like we had already given up from the 20th minute or so. Is that how we will go to the next Women's world cup? Any big team we face, we sit back and let them play in our half for 90 mins and hope they only score like 2 goals, then claim we did well because they are higher ranked than us? lol.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by drDoom3(m): 5:04am On Jun 17, 2021
The entire game was just a cycle of

US pass in our half - US attack - We win ball back - Clear ball aimlessly - US get ball back - US pass in our half

and the cycle repeats and so on.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:07am On Jun 17, 2021
The referee was bias. That player tht stamped on Oluehi deserved a red.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:10am On Jun 17, 2021
Honest the coach killed the game with his second half substitutes.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 5:19am On Jun 17, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Seriously?

It's like you've forgotten who Nnadozie is. One of the best female goalkeepers in the world presently.
I know Nnadozie is the #1.. What I meant is that Oluehi will be part of the squad to both tournaments.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 5:19am On Jun 17, 2021
BascoVanVeli:
Honest the coach killed the game with his second half substitutes.
Who were the subs exactly? My Internet misbehaved at some point.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 5:20am On Jun 17, 2021
PDPGuy:

I know Nnadozie is the #1.. What I meant is that Oluehi will be part of the squad to both tournaments.
Definitely. Even if this match didn't hold. She was already that good.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 5:21am On Jun 17, 2021
drDoom3:
The entire game was just a cycle of

US pass in our half - US attack - We win ball back - Clear ball aimlessly - US get ball back - US pass in our half

and the cycle repeats and so on.
Honestly, this was so annoying.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 5:27am On Jun 17, 2021
drDoom3:

Game that I watched lol. I was embarrassed by the way we played. It was like we had already given up from the 20th minute or so. Is that how we will go to the next Women's world cup? Any big team we face, we sit back and let them play in our half for 90 mins and hope they only score like 2 goals, then claim we did well because they are higher ranked than us? lol.
You don't go on all out on a team clearly bigger than you, unless you want to be spelt. You sit back and try to take advantage of opportunities. The playing style was good. The only problem I had was the fear making them make poor counter crosses.

For those saying that there's nothing special about the US team. Let me ask you, how many crosses and passes were mistimed or inaccurate?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naijaseeker: 5:32am On Jun 17, 2021
GeneralDae:

Na, you just mentioned the best two players who have ever played for Falcons. If Vera had not being injured would probably have out shun Perpetua

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by drDoom3(m): 5:38am On Jun 17, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
You don't go on all out on a team clearly bigger than you, unless you want to be spelt. You sit back and try to take advantage of opportunities. The playing style was good. The only problem I had was the fear making them make poor counter crosses.

For those saying that there's nothing special about the US team. Let me ask you, how many crosses and passes were mistimed or inaccurate?

How many mistimed clearances under pressure did the US defense make? How many clear cut attacking opportunities? How many duels and challenges did they win? How many times were they outpaced to a ball?

They were good, but nowhere near their peak performance.

You don't go all out, but you also don't sit back in for basically the entire second half when you're losing by 1-0, and possess no counterattacking plans to even attempt to equalize at all.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 6:03am On Jun 17, 2021
The other thing that was frustrating was the lack of aggression from the Falcons. Whenever a player not named Payne, Oluehi, Ebi, or Alozie was on the ball, that player was basically sleep-walking and didn’t even care to look at available passing options on time.
It was just too casual for most of the game from most of our players. I guess the fact that there was no major competition until at least the second half of next year made most of the players take a lackadaisical approach to all 3 games. While the US players were fighting for spots on the Olympic team, hence they played with aggression.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Telstar: 6:08am On Jun 17, 2021
drDoom3:

I thought I was the only one seeing this. I watched USA at the last world cup, they were much more deadlier than this. The reason it looked liked they played well was because we kept inviting them on to attack and soaking up pressure. If you want to park bus, at least have a counter attacking threat, else it will just be a walk-over. The most annoying thing I noticed in this game was that we were a lot stronger physically than them. Alozie was much more athletic than Rapinoe, that was why Rapinoe was quiet throughout. We were winning aerial and ground duels. I feel like if we had come out to play them, our athleticism would have caused their backline some problems. The few times we did that, look at how they easily gave the ball away.

We just automatically assumed that because they are the number 1 in the world, we had no chance against them and our best bet was to sit back and soak up pressure. That is not how football works nowadays. Better to threaten them in the attacking end and lose 4-2 than to pose no single threat throughout the game, look weak and impotent, and still lose 2-0.

Look at the game against Portugal, see how it started. If we had taken our early chances, we might have scored up to 2 goals in the first 30 minutes. If we decided to sit back throughout the game like we did in this one, Portugal may have scored one and that's it. But we came out and showed them what we could do, and if not for silly defensive mistakes we would have beaten Portugal.
The team did very well and would get better with time. The coach is technically sound. Much better than Rohr.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 6:23am On Jun 17, 2021
The only hombased players that should be on the plane to both the Nations and world cups is the No. 18, Ogbonna, and Demehin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by dex711: 8:04am On Jun 17, 2021
labas370:

Expectations for the team was not to beat or draw with USA but to play football, control the match, have chances on goal, basically show that they can improve and be better than the previous generations. But it was just a training match for the USA.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:49am On Jun 17, 2021
U guys get it first grin
USWNT vs Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unk2tdxO6D4

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:27am On Jun 17, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Who were the subs exactly? My Internet misbehaved at some point.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 9:55am On Jun 17, 2021
I think the coach won't just hand no1 shirt to Nnadozie when she return , he is going to bench her until oluehi make a glaring mistake

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 9:57am On Jun 17, 2021
I still think the 6 nations will get canceled or it will be play by home based players only
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 10:09am On Jun 17, 2021
Ebi vs Okeke CB pairing again?... Not again! Alozie must be at her best as concerns her defensive duties, Ogbonna... I dey really fear O! Infact, this defense calls for serious worry. I nor no how dem wan take escape dis one O!
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by marvin906(m): 10:20am On Jun 17, 2021
isan:
I still think the 6 nations will get canceled or it will be play by home based players only

Argentina and Romania have been invited

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 11:34am On Jun 17, 2021
What ? NFF are not joking oo
marvin906:

Argentina and Romania have been invited
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 12:06pm On Jun 17, 2021
labas370:

drDoom3:

PDPGuy:
The other thing that was frustrating was the lack of aggression from the Falcons. Whenever a player not named Payne, Oluehi, Ebi, or Alozie was on the ball, that player was basically sleep-walking and didn’t even care to look at available passing options on time.
It was just too casual for most of the game from most of our players. I guess the fact that there was no major competition until at least the second half of next year made most of the players take a lackadaisical approach to all 3 games. While the US players were fighting for spots on the Olympic team, hence they played with aggression.

you don't expect a U.S coach play aggressively against the U.S national team... its like the Super Eagles playing against Germany with Rohr as the coach...

the people congratulating the SF are only doing so because the SF didn't concede much..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) ... (1180) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.