Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,692 members, 7,955,613 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:51 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (233) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (930857 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) ... (1180) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 2:41pm On Aug 14, 2021
Rasheedat Ajibade feature as Levante UD beat Atletico Madrid Femenino 2-1 in the pre season game..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 8:56pm On Aug 14, 2021
Glory Ogbonna awarded Woman of the match as Umea IK beat Alvsjo Women 2nil..

Ngozi Okobi was there to cheer her up

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:53pm On Aug 14, 2021
Superfalcons forward Esther Ijeoma Okoronkwo sign for France Div 1 Clubside, AS SAINT-ÉTIENNE FEMININE.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 10:12pm On Aug 14, 2021
Ebere Orji scored two as Sundsvall DFF hold Borgeby 1983 to a 3-3 draw away from home.

Named women of the match

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 10:20pm On Aug 14, 2021
Schemerkhiz:
Superfalcons forward Esther Ijeoma Okoronkwo sign for France Div 1 Clubside, AS SAINT-ÉTIENNE FEMININE.
Nice, this Esther Okonkwo is a bit more skillful than many presently in the super falcons but probably lacks some form of exposure/ experience. Playing in french division 1 club would transform her into a real professional.

I am happy because I know how dangerous she would be when she gets to her peak.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 10:32pm On Aug 14, 2021
GeneralDae:

Nice, this Esther Okonkwo is a bit more skillful than many presently in the super falcons but probably lacks some form of exposure/ experience. Playing in french division 1 club would transform her into a real professional.

I am happy because I know how dangerous she would be when she gets to her peak.

Of course she have got some brilliant moves at 24yrs, She just graduated from College Soccer she surely would need some time to get there, great move for her. Waiting to see her play against Nnadozie and Oparanozie when league resume.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 2:08am On Aug 15, 2021
Head coach Steve Holeman and the Lamar University women's soccer program can add another former student-athlete to the international ranks as this time former All-American Esther Okoronkwo signed with the AS Saint-Étienne on Saturday afternoon.

"I am extremely proud of Esther and excited to see her accomplish her goal of playing professional soccer," said head coach Steve Holeman Signing with a team in the first division in France is an incredible achievement. She'll go down as one of the greatest soccer players to ever play in the Southland and I know she will do a wonderful job of representing Lamar University at the highest level."

Becoming an international player this summer, Okoronkwo will look to reinforce the attack line of the Vertes during the 2021-22 season apart of the first division Arkema, which is set to begin play on August 28.

"I am very happy to join ASSE," said Esther Okoronkwo. "It is a first experience in Europe, I am very excited to start this season in D1 Arkema. My goal is necessarily to score as many goals as possible, but collectively, I first want to get along well with my teammates in the field."

The Richmond, Texas native earned numerous accolades over the course of her career for the Cardinals. In 2020, Okoronkwo was named to the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List and named SLC Offensive Player of the Week twice. To round out her Big Red career, she was named the Southland Conference Player of the Year and Forward of the Year. She was also a two-time member of the SLC All-Conference First Team.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 10:03pm On Aug 15, 2021
When the ICC tournament goes down we will see if the us league is really the best like sir schemerkhiz have been saying
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 3:10pm On Aug 16, 2021
Ifeoma Onumonu’s heroics salvage a point for Gotham FC

Nigeria forward, Ifeoma Onumonu scored her fifth goal for Gotham FC as she rescued her United States of America (USA) National Women Super League (NWSL) side from defeat once again on Sunday.

Nadia Nadim had scored the first goal of the game to give the visitors, Racing Louisville the lead in the 13th minute.
Seven minutes before full time, Nahomi Kawasumi set up Ifeoma Onumonu for the equalising goal.
Ifeoma Onumonu played for the duration of the game. She has previously scored a goal each against OL Reign (twice in May 2021), Kansas City NWSL, and Houston Dash.

Gotham FC occupies the third position on the league table with 21 points from 13 games, three points behind North Carolina Courage, and eight points behind Portland Thorns.

OL Reign will be their next opponent on August 22, 2021, at Cheney Stadium, Tacoma.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 3:12pm On Aug 16, 2021
ASHLEIGH Plumptre named Leicester City Women Football Club Assistant Captain..

Meanwhile, midfielder Sophie Barker has been confirmed as the new captain following Holly Morgan’s retirement, while Ashleigh Plumptre as first Vice Captain and McManus taking the second vice captaincy roles.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 7:09pm On Aug 16, 2021
Aisha Buhari Cup feels like Women AFCON – Onome Ebi
16th August 2021

Super Falcons defence stalwart, Onome Ebi says the Aisha Buhari Invitational Women’s tournament is a good initiative ahead of the Women Africa Cup of Nations (AWCON) qualifying campaign.

Ebi, a star player for FC Minsk of Belarus, who is excited about the tournament said it will help the six nations taking part in it to prepare ahead of their AWCON qualifying games coming up in October.

Nine-time African champions Nigeria will tango with Ghana, Cameroon, Mali, South Africa, and Morocco for the glittering trophy at the tournament scheduled for 13th – 21st September 2021.

“With regards to the Dr. Aisha Buhari Cup, I see the competition as a good one because it will help most of the teams participating in it ahead of the Women Africa Cup of Nations. As we all know that the last AWCON did not hold due to the coronavirus, I believe this Aisha Buhari Cup is going to help the teams by bringing African teams to play against themselves.

“We just see it like we are playing the Africa Cup Nations again because I see it that it’s the same teams that will likely be playing in the AWCON that will play in this competition. I am really excited and happy that we are going to play against a team like Ghana because we will be playing against them again in the qualifier. I think that will really help in preparing the team because the qualifying games will be in October. So, this tournament in September will help all the teams to prepare well in their qualifying games against their opponents.

“Hopefully, Nigeria will come out great and emerge champions because we have really been working, training, and preparing ourselves, trying to come together. And we are grateful to our Coach because he has been working hard to ensure that the team comes together to have games. We have played in tournaments in Turkey and USA. And coming to play this coming tournament is a really good one for the players.”

The 38-year-old, who is the first African footballer to play in five FIFA World Cup finals, is grateful to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for getting the team into different tournaments as preparation for their AWCON qualifying race.

I thank NFF for making all these possible. For ensuring that the girls play enough games/competition together. That the girls come together as a team in a camping programme like the one in Austria. It’s really a good one and that it will all come good for us in major tournaments.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 11:17pm On Aug 17, 2021
NTA to broadcast live Draw Ceremony of Aisha Buhari Cup

Nigeria’s National Broadcaster, Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) will broadcast live, Wednesday’s Draw Ceremony of the Dr Aisha Buhari Invitational Women’s Football Tournament (Aisha Buhari Cup), the Local Organizing Committee announced on Tuesday evening.

Marketing Consultant for the tournament, Mr Taye Ige, who is also President of HotSports Media Group, flew into the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja on Tuesday to seal the deal, following a meeting with the Director-General of the station, Alhaji Yakubu Ibn Mohammed.

Chairman of the LOC, Barr. Seyi Akinwunmi, said: “This is an interesting development. We are excited by this and it will surely complement the efforts we have put up to ensure a first-grade ceremony on Wednesday.”

The ceremony, billed to commence at noon at the Eko Hotel & Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos will see the six teams in the tournament drawn into two groups of three teams each, with nine-time African champions Nigeria heading Group A, and Africa’s number two –ranked team, Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon, heading Group B.

A press conference on the eight-day tournament, to be hosted by the City of Lagos, will hold at 10am also on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Super Falcons’ star forward, Gift Monday has joined her team-mates to commend the First Lady, Her Excellency, Dr (Mrs) Aisha Buhari for the idea behind the invitational tournament.

Monday, a two-time highest goal scorer of the Nigeria Women’s Premier League said in Lagos on Monday that the generality of Super Falcons players both home and overseas are full of accolades for the First Lady for bringing a first-class tournament to Nigeria, with the theme Playing for Good.

“The choice of the theme of the Invitational Tournament, Playing for Good, tells a lot about the love the First Lady has for the girl-child and the women folk. It also sends a strong message to the competition itself, which in all intents and purposes will be out to achieve the theme of the competition. Young and budding players will be provided with the opportunity to watch senior players display their talent, which would invariably encourage them to plan positively for the good of the game. And by implication, their future will be assured starting from the African continent to the world over where they will rise to be top players for their countries’ national teams and also become professional footballers in Europe and other parts of the world.”

The nifty forward added that the efforts of the Aisha Buhari Foundation to organise a soccer competition with all the six top flight women’s football playing countries participating tells a lot about the huge plans the First Lady has to further develop women’s football in Africa, and also help prepare these teams for bigger challenges and other top competitions in future.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 11:18pm On Aug 17, 2021
AISHA BUHARI CUP 2021 is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: AISHA BUHARI CUP PRESS CONFERENCE
Time: Aug 18, 2021 10:00 AM Africa/Lagos

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/81578143295?pwd=aDh0WTFaQzhTK3NpNkRJQnNndzE0Zz09

Meeting ID: 815 7814 3295
Passcode: 709171
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,81578143295#,,,,*709171# US (Chicago)
+19292056099,,81578143295#,,,,*709171# US (New York)

Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 815 7814 3295
Passcode: 709171
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kbiYeROsc6
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 12:09am On Aug 18, 2021
Superfalcons Defender Chidinma Okeke and veteran Midfielder Rita Chikwelu extend their stay at Madrid CFF till 2023...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 1:43am On Aug 18, 2021
22yrs old Midfielder Joy Bokiri joins AIK of Sweden DAMALLSVENSKAN on a deal for the rest of the season. Bokiri is capped for Nigeria and comes from Bayelsa Queens in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 1:50pm On Aug 18, 2021
First Lady Cup Draws

This was absolutely ridiculous. I am extremely disappointed in the very poor process that the NFF just displayed to the world.
You seed Nigeria and Cameroon, based on their FIFA ranking, which makes perfect sense. You then have 4 countries left - South Africa (55), Ghana (59), Morocco (81) and Mali (84).

So, how do you do this by creating a perception of equity and maintaining a level of competitiveness?
1. Have two pots - Pot A, with South Africa and Ghana. Pot B, with Morocco and Mali.
2. Use their FIFA ranking to determine who goes into slots 2 and 3 - e.g. A2, B2 and A3, B3
How difficult was that?

I can't believe that this was too difficult for the likes of Aisha Falode to figure out, considering all the years she has spent organizing Women's football, not just in Nigeria but on the Continent. Instead, we get Group A - Nigeria, Morocco and Mali, and Group B - Cameroon, South Africa and Ghana. It gives the impression that the draw was rigged to give Nigeria a free pass to the finals. Disgraceful.

This whole draw show was a farce and very poorly organized.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 2:14pm On Aug 18, 2021
Rubbish draw what do we gain from playing morocco and mali ? This is clearly rigged in Nigeria's favor and its a shame
AkinDS:
First Lady Cup Draws

This was absolutely ridiculous. I am extremely disappointed in the very poor process that the NFF just displayed to the world.
You seed Nigeria and Cameroon, based on their FIFA ranking, which makes perfect sense. You then have 4 countries left - South Africa (55), Ghana (59), Morocco (81) and Mali (84).

So, how do you do this by creating a perception of equity and maintaining a level of competitiveness?
1. Have two pots - Pot A, with South Africa and Ghana. Pot B, with Morocco and Mali.
2. Use their FIFA ranking to determine who goes into slots 2 and 3 - e.g. A2, B2 and A3, B3
How difficult was that?

I can't believe that this was too difficult for the likes of Aisha Falode to figure out, considering all the years she has spent organizing Women's football, not just in Nigeria but on the Continent. Instead, we get Group A - Nigeria, Morocco and Mali, and Group B - Cameroon, South Africa and Ghana. It gives the impression that the draw was rigged to give Nigeria a free pass to the finals. Disgraceful.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 2:17pm On Aug 18, 2021
AkinDS:
First Lady Cup Draws

How difficult was that?

My man, relax. This tournament is basically a series of friendlies. Even the other countries won’t complain about the draw; in fact, Cameroon may be happy to have drawn both SA and Ghana because it will be an opportunity to test their team against two of the best in Africa.

Moreover, the Super Falcons will eventually have to face at least one of Ghana/SA/Cameroon in the semis and/or final. So, it will still be an intense competition for our team
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 2:19pm On Aug 18, 2021
BTW, I must commend the NFF for organizing up to 11 friendlies for the Suler Falcons within this calendar year! This could be a record for any of our national teams. I want to see more of the same next year.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 4:55pm On Aug 18, 2021
How did group B happen??

it's a lot though, Either way, would still have come up

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 5:20pm On Aug 18, 2021
Good we're playing against the Moroccan side, one of the team have been longing to Play..

They have a great coach a Former UEFA Women's Champions League wining Coach on two occasions, A coach who dominanted the French Women's Football League with Lyon..
About half of their Squad play professionally in France, with few others in England and Spain..
It's going to be a great game against the Superfalcons..

Hopefully we would get to see their star Striker Rosella Ayane of Tottenham play against the Superfalcons

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by deltateam: 7:05am On Aug 19, 2021
It's official. I love Asisat Oshoala. kiss

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 10:20am On Aug 19, 2021
Here is the complete fixture list for the Aisha Buhari cup

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 3:18pm On Aug 19, 2021
PDPGuy:
Here is the complete fixture list for the Aisha Buhari cup

Going by the fixtures and the opening game been on the 13th, how will the Superfalcons Foreign Based Player's be available considering the time frame cause all of them have league games 10th, 11th and 12th of September..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 4:12pm On Aug 19, 2021
Agege Stadium undergoing renovation for the Upcoming Aisha Buhari Cup...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 7:26am On Aug 20, 2021
Nice move from CAF, hope they succeed with this method..

Time for those NPFL clubs to go adopt their State Women Football Club or better form their own..

Enyimba should be able to create one or better still revive the dead Standard Babes or better still adopt Abia Angels....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 11:46am On Aug 20, 2021
African Teams On The Latest FIFA Women's World Ranking

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:50am On Aug 20, 2021
Schemerkhiz:
Agege Stadium undergoing renovation for the Upcoming Aisha Buhari Cup...

They should be changing that turf na. What would those other changes bring when the football game itself is being hindered?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:53am On Aug 20, 2021
Schemerkhiz:
Nice move from CAF, hope they succeed with this method..

Time for those NPFL clubs to go adopt their State Women Football Club or better form their own..

Enyimba should be able to create one or better still revive the dead Standard Babes or better still adopt Abia Angels....

Enyimba and Abia Angels are both owned by the state government. They will just rename the Angels Enyimba.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 8:47pm On Aug 20, 2021
Superfalcons Defender Onyinyechi Zogg have Completed a transfer move from FC Zurich Frauen to ASJ Soyaux in Division 1 Femenine

Congratulations and Good luck in France�

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 8:48pm On Aug 20, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

They should be changing that turf na. What would those other changes bring when the football game itself is being hindered?

That's the number one change they're making...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:32pm On Aug 20, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

That's the number one change they're making...

That's outstanding.

(1) (2) (3) ... (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) ... (1180) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.