Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,186 members, 7,822,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (347) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (806830 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) ... (1073) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 7:19pm On May 04, 2022
I see that as a testimony to Toni's immense versatility, which makes her indispensable to the team.
She will thrive in a 3-5-2 formation, where she can play as a wingback. She can also excel as a wide forward (a role she currently plays at Seville F.C.)
Schemerkhiz:

E nor easy at all...

But the truth is that Wether Foreign Born or Home Based they all deserve equal opportunity to play for Nigeria, but right now we mainly work with the Home grown at the U17 level and like 2 to 3% of the Foreign born too at the U20 level...

Right now am confused as to where Coach Randy Waldrum would play Tony Payne in the Superfalcon starting 11...

He already tried her out in over multiple positions for a Year..

Wing Back, Left Back, Attacking Midfield and as a forward..

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 8:01pm On May 04, 2022
Will be bringing you my possible list of 23Players for the AWCON..

From Goalkeeping department to the Attack, including those to be on Standby..

Note; This is my own personal list..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 8:29pm On May 04, 2022
My possible 3 Goalkeepers for the AWCON

1.Tochukwu Oluehi 35yrs ( Maccabi Kishronot Hadera FC) ISRAEL.

2. Chiamaka Nnadozie 21yrs (Paris FC) FRANCE.

3. Yewande Balogun 32yrs ( Coppermine United) USA

Standby
*** Onyinyechi Okeke 23yrs (Bayelsa Queens) NIGERIA

*** Christy Ohaeriaku 25yrs (Edo Queens) NIGERIA

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 8:45pm On May 04, 2022
My Possible 7 Defenders for the AWCON

1. Onome Ebi 39yrs (Unattached) NIGERIA

2. Osinachi Ohale 30yrs (Deportive Alaves) SPAIN

3. Ashleigh Plumptre 24yrs (Leicester City Women FC) ENGLAND

4. Akudo Ogbonna 22yrs (Edo Queens) NIGERIA

5. Michelle Alozie 25yrs (Houston Dash) USA

6. Nicole Payne 21yrs (West Virginia Mountaineers) USA

7. Patricia George 25yrs (SC Sand) GERMANY

Standby...
*** Onyinyechi Zogg 25yrs (Turbine Portdam) GERMANY

Glory Ogbonna 23yrs (Santa Teresa) SPAIN

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 9:07pm On May 04, 2022
My Possible 7 Midfielders for the AWCON

1. Rita Chikwelu 34yrs (Madrid CFF) SPAIN

2. Regina Otu 25yrs (Minsk FC) BELARUS

3. Christy Ucheibe 21yrs (Benfica FC) PORTUGAL

4. Rasheedat Ajibade 22yrs (Atletico Madrid Femenino) SPAIN

5. Ngozi Okobi 28yrs ( Eskilstuna United DFF) SWEDEN

6. Halimatu Ayinde 27yrs (Eskilstuna United DFF) SWEDEN

7. Tony Payne 27yrs (Sevilla FC) SPAIN

Standby...
*** Peace Efih 21yrs( F.C. Kiryat Gat) ISRAEL

Amanda Mbadi 23yrs (Bayelsa Queens) NIGERIA

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:08pm On May 04, 2022
Schemerkhiz:

E nor easy at all...

But the truth is that Wether Foreign Born or Home Based they all deserve equal opportunity to play for Nigeria, but right now we mainly work with the Home grown at the U17 level and like 2 to 3% of the Foreign born too at the U20 level...

Right now am confused as to where Coach Randy Waldrum would play Tony Payne in the Superfalcon starting 11...

He already tried her out in over multiple positions for a Year..

Wing Back, Left Back, Attacking Midfield and as a forward..
I agree....we shouldn't forget there are talents at home toobefore going for the FBs.
As for Tony, I will like her to pair Ajibade in Midfield if only we have a combative (very) DM to hold the mid for them. Ajibade will be more advanced though
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:11pm On May 04, 2022
AkinDS:
At least, make an effort to get them and if you lose, you lose.
Not that you fold your arms and do nothing, and expect to get the best talent out there - which is the stance Nigeria has adopted all these years and we have paid dearly for it.
No...I disagree. If we make an effort and we lose, it will send a bad message.
I think it should be the other way round, anyone who is interested in playing for us should reach out to us.
The only case where I think we should reach out is if we need (not want) the player because some of them do make ridiculous demands at times.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 10:40pm On May 04, 2022
“Easiest” group for the Falconets would be:
Costa Rica, Nigeria, South Korea, Colombia

The toughest possible scenario:
Japan, Nigeria, Brazil, Netherlands
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 1:20am On May 05, 2022
Which female footballer that we were in pursuit of, either actively or tacitly, made demands to Nigeria? Bad message to who or for who?
We Nigerians really need to get off our high horse and realize we are NOT all that. If we were the US or France or Germany, then we can make such a statement. We haven't won anything worthy of note outside the continent and we are acting like we are world champions. Jeez! I beg!

Your statement about needs and wants makes no sense to me. Squad building is about DEPTH, period. You build your squad based on players who would add value to your team, so that the level of competitiveness is either same or better than what you have. With the state of affairs in Nigeria, we are in no position to be picking and choosing. I would rather have a big pool of decent players to choose from (what Waldrum is doing now), as opposed to a small pool of decent players and a boat load of very average ones (which is where Nigeria was, pre-Waldrum).
That is the common trait with the top 10 WNTs in the world - massive squad depth! Nigeria is not anywhere close to having that and NO, we cannot wait around for some HB player to reach the apex of their learning curve before we start to compete. The time is NOW and we need to get any young kid out there who has a drop of Naija blood in them, or else, we will be left behind, even on the continent.

mostob:
No...I disagree. If we make an effort and we lose, it will send a bad message.
I think it should be the other way round, anyone who is interested in playing for us should reach out to us.
The only case where I think we should reach out is if we need (not want) the player because some of them do make ridiculous demands at times.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 7:48am On May 05, 2022
AkinDS:
Which female footballer that we were in pursuit of, either actively or tacitly, made demands to Nigeria? Bad message to who or for who?
We Nigerians really need to get off our high horse and realize we are NOT all that. If we were the US or France or Germany, then we can make such a statement. We haven't won anything worthy of note outside the continent and we are acting like we are world champions. Jeez! I beg!

Your statement about needs and wants makes no sense to me. Squad building is about DEPTH, period. You build your squad based on players who would add value to your team, so that the level of competitiveness is either same or better than what you have. With the state of affairs in Nigeria, we are in no position to be picking and choosing. I would rather have a big pool of decent players to choose from (what Waldrum is doing now), as opposed to a small pool of decent players and a boat load of very average ones (which is where Nigeria was, pre-Waldrum).
That is the common trait with the top 10 WNTs in the world - massive squad depth! Nigeria is not anywhere close to having that and NO, we cannot wait around for some HB player to reach the apex of their learning curve before we start to compete. The time is NOW and we need to get any young kid out there who has a drop of Naija blood in them, or else, we will be left behind, even on the continent.

Listen....some of these foreign borns do make demands sometimes ranging from a place in WC squad whether they are better than the rest or not, some may ask for chance to boycott any match as they like...
Think deeply, the issue of want and need should make sense to you... it's not about squad depth, if you invite one of the FBs and you drop them to bench or stop inviting them after a match, do you think others will want to pledge allegiance to you?
The fact that other WNTs are going for FBs doesn't mean it will work for us also..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 8:06am On May 05, 2022
mostob:
Listen....some of these foreign borns do make demands sometimes ranging from a place in WC squad whether they are better than the rest or not, some may ask for chance to boycott any match as they like...
Think deeply, the issue of want and need should make sense to you... it's not about squad depth, if you invite one of the FBs and you drop them to bench or stop inviting them after a match, do you think others will want to pledge allegiance to you?
The fact that other WNTs are going for FBs doesn't mean it will work for us also..

Do you have specific example of a foreign born player making any of such request? I really do not find this plausible.

I think the crux of the conversation is what AkinDS noted earlier in one of his submissions; there has to be a well stated guideline for integrating players (either local or foreign) into the team.

I try to be pragmatic about my approach to things. Game time isn't all a player gets to enjoy playing for say USA and Canada, they have developmental structures in place that ultimately helps a player grow into their career, something Nigeria sadly doesn't offer. The financial incentive is also something worth considering. Most of these players probably earn more from partnerships and endorsement deals than than they do from bonuses. Save Oshoola and probably a few others, very few Nigerian players have a brand they can leverage on during their playing days, talk less when they retire. I'm trying to put into perspective a few things some of these players consider before pitching their tent.

Of course there would be a few players like Ashleigh Plumtre who from the get go are settled I their desire to play for Nigeria, but until we have a football program we can be proud of, we have to empathize with young players as they make their decisions.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 11:47am On May 05, 2022
Schemerkhiz:

But this Simi case is just intriguing to me, Both Parents are Nigerian, born here in Nigeria before moving to the US, I wonder how she became a Canadian without living there for the stipulated number of years.. Not even US but Canada.... hahaha ��
If any of her parents got Citizenship while she was a minor, then she could obtain hers without needing to stay as a PR first.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 11:53am On May 05, 2022
Schemerkhiz:

Yes she's but already playing for the Switzerland Women National Team with over 30caps...

She spoke out years ago about playing for Nigeria but we didn't go for her, She's Chiamaka Nnadozie team mate at Paris FC in France, plays as a Left wing but currently as a Left Back for Paris FC
Bro, how good is this lady?

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 2:10pm On May 05, 2022
Your defence has just one make shift right back
Schemerkhiz:
My Possible 7 Defenders for the AWCON

1. Onome Ebi 39yrs (Unattached) NIGERIA

2. Osinachi Ohale 30yrs (Deportive Alaves) SPAIN

3. Ashleigh Plumptre 24yrs (Leicester City Women FC) ENGLAND

4. Akudo Ogbonna 22yrs (Edo Queens) NIGERIA

5. Michelle Alozie 25yrs (Houston Dash) USA

6. Nicole Payne 21yrs (West Virginia Mountaineers) USA

7. Patricia George 25yrs (SC Sand) GERMANY

Standby...
*** Onyinyechi Zogg 25yrs (Turbine Portdam) GERMANY

Glory Ogbonna 23yrs (Santa Teresa) SPAIN
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 4:05pm On May 05, 2022
I'll repeat the question I asked you: "Which female footballer that we were in pursuit of, either actively or tacitly, made demands to Nigeria? Bad message to who or for who ?"
As the forumer Lovewins also stated earlier, you have yet to provide proof or evidence to back up your claims about FB demands. You simply cannot continue to cast aspirations about FBs that are patently false and completely baseless. It is not only wrong, but dangerous to fans and especially the FBs themselves (because people start having wrong impressions about them).

In answering your other question below which I highlighted - my response is absolutely!
FACT: Roosa Ariyo (Real Betis, SPA) was invited to the 2019 US summer series and has not been invited since then. Adekite Fatuga Dada (Watford, ENG) was invited to the training camp in Austria and has not been invited since. That has NOT deterred Ashleigh Plumptre (Leicester FC, ENG) from coming aboard the SF team. Also understand that Rinsola Babajide (Real Betis, SPA) might be in the process of joining the SF. So you point (or concern) is completely lacking in merit.
mostob:
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 5:38pm On May 05, 2022
lovewins:

Do you have specific example of a foreign born player making any of such request? I really do not find this plausible.

I think the crux of the conversation is what AkinDS noted earlier in one of his submissions; there has to be a well stated guideline for integrating players (either local or foreign) into the team
I try to be pragmatic about my approach to things. Game time isn't all a player gets to enjoy playing for say USA and Canada, they have developmental structures in place that ultimately helps a player grow into their career, something Nigeria sadly doesn't offer. The financial incentive is also something worth considering. Most of these players probably earn more from partnerships and endorsement deals than than they do from bonuses. Save Oshoola and probably a few others, very few Nigerian players have a brand they can leverage on during their playing days, talk less when they retire. I'm trying to put into perspective a few things some of these players consider before pitching their tent.

Of course there would be a few players like Ashleigh Plumtre who from the get go are settled I their desire to play for Nigeria, but until we have a football program we can be proud of, we have to empathize with young players as they make their decisions.

I understand your point and I agree especially the bolded. But AkinDs want us to go all out for these FBs which I what I'm countering against. He even said if we approach them and we lose, it's ok. That doesn't make sense.
Like you stated above, we need to have an integrating plan which is why I told AkinDs that part of this plan involves differentiating between wants and needs and again he said it make no sense.
Take our U17 for example, those girls have not concede a goal since the start of the qualifier (correct me if I'm wrong) which is a testament that there are quality players among them. Nothing bad in picking from home and at the same time picking outside but our oga want us to go all out which doesn't make sense.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 5:56pm On May 05, 2022
AkinDS:
I'll repeat the question I asked you: "Which female footballer that we were in pursuit of, either actively or tacitly, made demands to Nigeria? Bad message to who or for who ?"
As the forumer Lovewins also stated earlier, you have yet to provide proof or evidence to back up your claims about FB demands. You simply cannot continue to cast aspirations about FBs that are patently false and completely baseless. It is not only wrong, but dangerous to fans and especially the FBs themselves (because people start having wrong impressions about them).

In answering your other question below which I highlighted - my response is absolutely!
FACT: Roosa Ariyo (Real Betis, SPA) was invited to the 2019 US summer series and has not been invited since then. Adekite Fatuga Dada (Watford, ENG) was invited to the training camp in Austria and has not been invited since. That has NOT deterred Ashleigh Plumptre (Leicester FC, ENG) from coming aboard the SF team. Also understand that Rinsola Babajide (Real Betis, SPA) might be in the process of joining the SF. So you point (or concern) is completely lacking in merit.
grin grin I really find this response funny. My statement was not an allegation so I don't know why you were asking for evidence. Read it again please...

The fact that those we have added so far or still pursuing so far didn't make demands doesn't mean it doesn't happen...a recent example is Odoi who said he will only pledge allegiance to Ghana if they qualify for world cup. Talking about bad message...now, if the coach decided to drop those who partake in the qualifiers for the FBs in the tournament list, how do you think those who get dropped will feel? That is the problem of making demands.
And the fact that it has never happened in Nigeria doesn't mean it will never happen in future especially when we start getting desperate by going after every eligible FBs. We were lacking in defence and now we have Plumptre and Zogg (club issue)...that is the difference between wants and needs.

As for your last paragraph, Ariyo has an issue with her club and I'm sure you will even raise an eye brow if she is called up...Fatuga has not being called up either due to the pecking order or the coach doesn't fancy her..if the latter is the case, that means we want her not that we need her. So I don't know how the two scenarios have any effect on Plumptre's switch sir.

And going after the FBs is not the only solution, we need structure..good coaches too. We need to make our team attractive.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 6:33pm On May 05, 2022
mostob:

I understand your point and I agree especially the bolded. But AkinDs want us to go all out for these FBs which I what I'm countering against. He even said if we approach them and we lose, it's ok. That doesn't make sense.
Like you stated above, we need to have an integrating plan which is why I told AkinDs that part of this plan involves differentiating between wants and needs and again he said it make no sense.
Take our U17 for example, those girls have not concede a goal since the start of the qualifier (correct me if I'm wrong) which is a testament that there are quality players among them. Nothing bad in picking from home and at the same time picking outside but our oga want us to go all out which doesn't make sense.

Appreciate the feedback.

I however do not think it is out of place to reach out to players of Nigerian origin of they desire to play for Nigeria. It is really not cast in stone the what the best approach is, but reaching out to players is actually common place. Even the US and Canada does it, so it isn't in anyway demeaning, but again we have to have laid down policies for things like this.

I also appreciate your sentiments on making a case for home grown talents. Personally, I think it's one area we have to be very careful about. Recently some super eagles veterans were seen advocating for the reduction of FB players in the super eagles. Some made disgraceful statements in my opinion to pass on their points. In debating this subject we have to be careful not to suggest or make inferences that we are more Nigerian than those born or resident outside our shores. I'll only advocate that everyone be given a level playing field whether home grown or foreign born and we have the best represent us.

I am also pro having primarily home grown talents in our age grade competitions, I however also think we may start having to think of a quota for players born outside the country even at that level. We shouldn't wait till they become professionals before reaching out.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 6:45pm On May 05, 2022
I suspected that your counterpoints were based on your misunderstanding of the point I was trying to make. I will try to be more explicit:

1. HB Players - I have no objection to HB players, in as long as they can compete with the FB. At the senior level, evidence has shown that, at least, over the past decade, FBs have proven to be better exposed and better attuned to the demands of the global game - tactically and strategically.
Is it the role of the Nigeria WNT coach to bring the HB players up to international standards? Or is it the job of the players club coaches to do that? The late Stephen Keshi once expressed his frustrations about having to teach HB players in his national camp how to 'trap ball' - code for understanding the fundamentals of the game. Do we as a nation have the time to be 'grooming' players at our WNT (who should otherwise have been groomed at the club level)? Or does it make more sense to pick players who have been groomed already and have expressed a tacit interest in playing for Nigeria? Afterall, these FB kids have at least 3.4% of Nigerian blood running through them (statistically). They ARE Nigerian and the responsible thing to do as a nation is to explore that 'tacit' interest (there is no embarrassment or shame in doing so). The shame is in not doing anything and letting an opportunity pass by.

2. Quality - While there are HBs worthy of a look in, they are only a handful. We have seen the likes of Tosin Demehin not measuring up to standard. Another example is Stella Mbadi, who seemed like the part with her flicks and tricks, but was a complete bust against Canada. The sad truth is most of our HB players are simply not up to par. Considering the very small number of games they play each season, as well as the lack of basic fundamentals, facilities and growth opportunities (outside of going abroad), one can safely surmise that FB players are more of a safer bet than HB players. That is the sad truth!

3. Wants & Needs - 'Needs and wants' are pretty irrelevant when you have a player willing to be a part of your program and the coach feels they are a good match. Such player(s), at a minimum, will make your team stronger (you have more quality players to pull from - i.e. more squad depth) OR it may make your team better (your new player increases the quality of your team). Either way, it is a win-win for the team. There cannot be too many strikers or midfielders or defenders or goalkeepers in your player 'pool'. Any decent coach should be intelligent enough to leverage the overall talent on their team - i.e. Rash Ajibade plays as a striker with Athletico Madrid, but plays as a CM in the Naija WNT. Toni Payne plays as a winger for Seville FC but has played as CM, LWB and LB in the Naija WNT. What matters is how you can harness the resource talent at your disposal and use it to your advantage. Any decent coach in the world can do that.
My point being: it will be quite silly to pass on a player 'A', because player 'A' is a striker and the team already has 8 available strikers at its disposal, so you believe an additional striker is not 'needed'.

Hope this helps you in better understanding my stance.

mostob:

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 7:22pm On May 05, 2022
Oshoala and Toni Payne scores one goal each today.

Toni Payne scores the first goal of the game to put Sevilla ahead. Oshoala however gives Barcelona the lead in the 60th minutes.

Click the link to watch the goals. Toni's goal was beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90qXly3joGg
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 7:25pm On May 05, 2022
Its unfortunate (and strange) that you found my response funny - strange because you seem to be the only one laughing.

Your statement was an allegation and we asked that your provide evidence (a Nigerian example) but you opted to provide the alleged case of Odoi and Ghana (relevance) and that it 'MIGHT' happen in Nigeria (speculation).
In the case of Ghana, didn't Kevin Prince Boateng (a much higher profile than Odoi) try and pull the same stunt? Wasn't he promptly dropped and has never played another international since then? Hasn't Ghana taken in others who want to play for Ghana, like Djiku, Wollacott, Dennis Odoi, Andy Yiadom, Kwasi Wriedt, and others. Obviously, your so called 'bad' message didn't resonate with these guys, did it?

Finally, Nigeria was not 'lacking' in defense, hence the Plumptre 'acquisition'? The likes of Chidinma Okeke (Madrid CFF), Faith Michael, Tosin Demehin, Akudo Ogbonna, Patricia George, alongside Onome Ebi and Osinachi Ohale were considered the main defense players. Zogg was a late add on to the list, by way of the US Summer Series. So, regarding Plumptre, considering the options listed, a case could be made that we went with increasing the available talent pool with a quality player and not if she was a 'Want' or a 'Need'.
Regarding your comments on Zogg and especially Ariyo, the issue with Ariyo's club (# of games playable in the Iberdola) is a non-issue, as she has played several games for Betis 'B'. Unfortunately, both ladies are currently recovering from injury.

Your last comment buttresses my initial statement regarding Nigeria having a robust intake mechanism, which we currently lack.

mostob:

grin grin I really find this response funny. My statement was not an allegation so I don't know why you were asking for evidence. Read it again please...

The fact that those we have added so far or still pursuing so far didn't make demands doesn't mean it doesn't happen...a recent example is Odoi who said he will only pledge allegiance to Ghana if they qualify for world cup. Talking about bad message...now, if the coach decided to drop those who partake in the qualifiers for the FBs in the tournament list, how do you think those who get dropped will feel? That is the problem of making demands.
And the fact that it has never happened in Nigeria doesn't mean it will never happen in future especially when we start getting desperate by going after every eligible FBs. We were lacking in defence and now we have Plumptre and Zogg (club issue)...that is the difference between wants and needs.

As for your last paragraph, Ariyo has an issue with her club and I'm sure you will even raise an eye brow if she is called up...Fatuga has not being called up either due to the pecking order or the coach doesn't fancy her..if the latter is the case, that means we want her not that we need her. So I don't know how the two scenarios have any effect on Plumptre's switch sir.

And going after the FBs is not the only solution, we need structure..good coaches too. We need to make our team attractive.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 8:47pm On May 05, 2022
AkinDS:
I suspected that your counterpoints were based on your misunderstanding of the point I was trying to make. I will try to be more explicit:

1. HB Players - I have no objection to HB players, in as long as they can compete with the FB. At the senior level, evidence has shown that, at least, over the past decade, FBs have proven to be better exposed and better attuned to the demands of the global game - tactically and strategically.
Is it the role of the Nigeria WNT coach to bring the HB players up to international standards? Or is it the job of the players club coaches to do that? The late Stephen Keshi once expressed his frustrations about having to teach HB players in his national camp how to 'trap ball' - code for understanding the fundamentals of the game. Do we as a nation have the time to be 'grooming' players at our WNT (who should otherwise have been groomed at the club level)? Or does it make more sense to pick players who have been groomed already and have expressed a tacit interest in playing for Nigeria? Afterall, these FB kids have at least 3.4% of Nigerian blood running through them (statistically). They ARE Nigerian and the responsible thing to do as a nation is to explore that 'tacit' interest (there is no embarrassment or shame in doing so). The shame is in not doing anything and letting an opportunity pass by.

2. Quality - While there are HBs worthy of a look in, they are only a handful. We have seen the likes of Tosin Demehin not measuring up to standard. Another example is Stella Mbadi, who seemed like the part with her flicks and tricks, but was a complete bust against Canada. The sad truth is most of our HB players are simply not up to par. Considering the very small number of games they play each season, as well as the lack of basic fundamentals, facilities and growth opportunities (outside of going abroad), one can safely surmise that FB players are more of a safer bet than HB players. That is the sad truth!

3. Wants & Needs - 'Needs and wants' are pretty irrelevant when you have a player willing to be a part of your program and the coach feels they are a good match. Such player(s), at a minimum, will make your team stronger (you have more quality players to pull from - i.e. more squad depth) OR it may make your team better (your new player increases the quality of your team). Either way, it is a win-win for the team. There cannot be too many strikers or midfielders or defenders or goalkeepers in your player 'pool'. Any decent coach should be intelligent enough to leverage the overall talent on their team - i.e. Rash Ajibade plays as a striker with Athletico Madrid, but plays as a CM in the Naija WNT. Toni Payne plays as a winger for Seville FC but has played as CM, LWB and LB in the Naija WNT. What matters is how you can harness the resource talent at your disposal and use it to your advantage. Any decent coach in the world can do that.
My point being: it will be quite silly to pass on a player 'A', because player 'A' is a striker and the team already has 8 available strikers at its disposal, so you believe an additional striker is not 'needed'.

Hope this helps you in better understanding my stance.

Everything you write here are unnecessary. My points have been made....going all out for these FBs doesn't make sense if our home is in disarray. So because the like of Canada and US are poaching talents here and there, we too should follow their footstep? That will be crazy.
Look at the super eagles, a lot of FBs were integrated to the team yet we crashed out at AFCON and failed to qualify for World cup because our team of coaches was tactically inept..That's to tell you we have more pressing issues. And please don't turn my argument into HB vs FB. Try and comprehend my points please. I have no problem against those FBs. Ebi,Chikwelu,Okobi and Ordega have not been up to standard for sometimes now, if we can get replacements from those FBs, it will go a long way to improve the team..but the way you made it seems as if we are nothing without these FBs we refuse to approach is just an awful assertion.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 8:54pm On May 05, 2022
FIFA U20WWC draw

Group C
France
Nigeria
Canada
South Korea

What do you guys think?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by hismail1(m): 9:01pm On May 05, 2022
lovewins:
FIFA U20WWC draw

Group C
France
Nigeria
Canada
South Korea

What do you guys think?
This is a tough group. Will be a miracle if we qualify from here.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Pidginwhisper: 9:03pm On May 05, 2022
lovewins:
FIFA U20WWC draw

Group C
France
Nigeria
Canada
South Korea

What do you guys think?
We’d be lucky to get atleast a draw from this group not to talk of qualifying. These are powerhouses.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 9:04pm On May 05, 2022
lovewins:
FIFA U20WWC draw

Group C
France
Nigeria
Canada
South Korea

What do you guys think?

This is a tough group! But I tip the Falconets and France to advance from the group.
The Canadians and the Koreans aren’t super powerhouses when it comes to the women’s youth tournaments; so I think we can nick some points off of them.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 9:05pm On May 05, 2022
There is virtually no hope for Ghana to advance from Group D. shocked
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:07pm On May 05, 2022
AkinDS:
Its unfortunate (and strange) that you found my response funny - strange because you seem to be the only one laughing.

Your statement was an allegation and we asked that your provide evidence (a Nigerian example) but you opted to provide the alleged case of Odoi and Ghana (relevance) and that it 'MIGHT' happen in Nigeria (speculation).
In the case of Ghana, didn't Kevin Prince Boateng (a much higher profile than Odoi) try and pull the same stunt? Wasn't he promptly dropped and has never played another international since then? Hasn't Ghana taken in others who want to play for Ghana, like Djiku, Wollacott, Dennis Odoi, Andy Yiadom, Kwasi Wriedt, and others. Obviously, your so called 'bad' message didn't resonate with these guys, did it?

Finally, Nigeria was not 'lacking' in defense, hence the Plumptre 'acquisition'? The likes of Chidinma Okeke (Madrid CFF), Faith Michael, Tosin Demehin, Akudo Ogbonna, Patricia George, alongside Onome Ebi and Osinachi Ohale were considered the main defense players. Zogg was a late add on to the list, by way of the US Summer Series. So, regarding Plumptre, considering the options listed, a case could be made that we went with increasing the available talent pool with a quality player and not if she was a 'Want' or a 'Need'.
Regarding your comments on Zogg and especially Ariyo, the issue with Ariyo's club (# of games playable in the Iberdola) is a non-issue, as she has played several games for Betis 'B'. Unfortunately, both ladies are currently recovering from injury.

Your last comment buttresses my initial statement regarding Nigeria having a robust intake mechanism, which we currently lack.

It is laughable because I was expecting something better. I don't know why you still failed to comprehend such simple sentence. That statement was not an allegation. An allegation is a statement not based on fact. Some FBs making ridiculous demands from the various NTs that approach them is a fact..I use Odoi because it was recent... BTW, there was no trace of restricting that statement to Nigeria's football alone reason why I found it funny that you were asking for proof that something of such happened in Nigeria.

I was here when you were bashing Ogbonna claiming she is slow. Ebi is 38, Okeke is not a pure CB,you said Demehin didn't measure up,Faith Michael is getting old yet you want me to believe we didn't need defenders. Really? Plumptre and Zogg were necessary additions. Oshoala was battling with injury,Ordega was out of form,Desire was unfit...then Onumonu and Okoronkwo was drafted to the team and both immediately made an impact and we decided qualification. That's the difference between want and need. We didn't want them because they are FBs, we called them up because we needed them to raise the quality of our team.
There are more pressing issues than just going all out for more players. With proper coaching,the present crop of players can go far.
For instance, we need more midfielders, approaching somebody like Vicky Lopez won't be a bad idea. Running and chasing after every FBs doesn't make sense.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:09pm On May 05, 2022
lovewins:
FIFA U20WWC draw

Group C
France
Nigeria
Canada
South Korea

What do you guys think?
I hate to be pessimistic but this is a tough group and it will be a miracle if we advance. I hope the girls prove me wrong.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by timay1: 9:36pm On May 05, 2022
mostob:
I hate to be pessimistic but this is a tough group and it will be a miracle if we advance. I hope the girls prove me wrong.

It's a youth tournament. The pedigree of the senior team of those countries don't usually count. Results are usually not easily predictable

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) ... (1073) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.