Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (713) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (802871 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (710) (711) (712) (713) (714) (715) (716) ... (1072) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 8:29pm On Jul 04, 2023
This is really a stretch.

The issue with Oparanozie is she is incapable of playing on the flanks (due to her lack of pace) and is therefore, very limited in what she brings to the team, outside of being a point person in the attack. Meaning, IF she is (wo)man marked, she pretty much becomes redundant.
As opposed to Oshoala, Franny, Onumonu, Kanu or Okoronkwo, who can play anywhere on the front line and drag their markers out of position, so they cannot be effectively (wo)man marked.

The role Oparanozie is best suited for is IF there is a change in strategy (i.e., coach switches to a 4-4-2 formation, from a 4-3-3), and she plays alongside one of the other strikers. Otherwise, if the formation is a 4-3-3, I very much doubt Randy will start her. We saw an example of that against New Zealand, where he seemed to switch to a 4-4-2 near the end of the game, allowing her to come in when Oshoala got injured.

Deltamani:
Tough task for Randy Waldrum picking his front 3??

We all knows Esther Okoronkwo and Oparanozie are sure starter’s for the first game but who’s the 3rd with Rash out.

Desire Oparanozie, Uchenna Kanu or Franny Ordega??

(LW) Fransisca Ordega … Sub (Kanu in for Ordega)
(RW) Esther Okoronkwo Sub ( Oparanozie in for Esther with Oshoala moving to the Flank.
(CF) Asisat Oshoala

I can bring in Onumonu during 80+ to kill of game

Monday Gift?? 😂😹😂😂😹🧐

Big Job for Randy Waldrum

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 9:02pm On Jul 04, 2023
Deltamani:

Ball hugging Ball hugging Rash🤗

Esther Okoronkwo is more than capable to take on her opponents in 1V1.. Talking about the 1st game, A Combination of a play making winger like Ordega would be better as she can do the job of drawing the Canadian Fullback to herself and also delivers excellent balls into the box!

I don't think Ordega will start.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:55pm On Jul 04, 2023
lovewins:

I disagree. Her indiscipline and lack of decision is what makes her a liability. She's bound to lose the ball and put the team under pressure. On the wings, she has limited responsibilities; pace and dribbles where it is required. Even if she loses the ball she's less of her liability to the team.
We're actually saying the same thing. However, she doesn't have to play in a particular position on the field in order to determine the rate of liability.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 10:01pm On Jul 04, 2023
AkinDS:

The issue with Oparanozie is she is incapable of playing on the flanks (due to her lack of pace) and is therefore, very limited in what she brings to the team, outside of being a point person in the attack. Meaning, IF she is (wo)man marked, she pretty much becomes redundant.
As opposed to Oshoala, Franny, Onumonu, Kanu or Okoronkwo, who can play anywhere on the front line and drag their markers out of position, so they cannot be effectively (wo)man marked.

The role Oparanozie is best suited for is IF there is a change in strategy (i.e., coach switches to a 4-4-2 formation, from a 4-3-3), and she plays alongside one of the other strikers. Otherwise, if the formation is a 4-3-3, I very much doubt Randy will start her. We saw an example of that against New Zealand, where he seemed to switch to a 4-4-2 near the end of the game, allowing her to come in when Oshoala got injured.

You really need to watch some past clips especially when the triple O were at their peak. I don't really know what to make of this post TBH.

Desire is a traditional 9, what do you want her on the wing for? And who told you she doesn't drift to the wing when and where necessary.

And if pace is your excuse, is Onumonu as fast as Desire?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 10:03pm On Jul 04, 2023
AkinDS:
Likelihood of Ashleigh as left back is slim anyway. Reason is IF Imuran is unavailable (for whatever reasons), Ogbonna will likely be the next in line.

Regarding centerbacks, surprised most here don't think highly of Tosin Demehin. I strongly believe she is high up Randy's list. I think she will be a starter. She is quick, physical and her ball playing skills (ball control and passing) and tactical awareness (reading of the game) are way up there. She started and played the full 90mins in all of our last 5 games.
I really don't see how she does not start.

Everybody here rates Tosin but there is no way she is starting ahead of either Ash or Ohale. The only way she gets to start is if we're playing the at the back. Ashleigh and Ohale are far ahead of her.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 11:45pm On Jul 04, 2023
That was then, we are talking of now. Oshoala and Ordega have lost a step or two, pace wise.
Oparanozie was never fast and was the slowest of the three O's.

Yes, Onumonu does have pace, having been a sprinter in her middle and high school days.
You can watch her games for FC Gotham to get a sense of how fast she is.

mostob:
You really need to watch some past clips especially when the triple O were at their peak. I don't really know what to make of this post TBH.

Desire is a traditional 9, what do you want her on the wing for? And who told you she doesn't drift to the wing when and where necessary.

And if pace is your excuse, is Onumonu as fast as Desire?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 11:57pm On Jul 04, 2023
Its a matter of personal opinion.
Randy has started her in more games than any of the other center-backs since WAFCON, so that says something.
Just thankful we have a corp of central defenders that are reliable, perhaps the best we have had in a long time.
mostob:
Everybody here rates Tosin but there is no way she is starting ahead of either Ash or Ohale. The only way she gets to start is if we're playing the at the back. Ashleigh and Ohale are far ahead of her.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 1:34am On Jul 05, 2023
Per Channels TV program, “Sports Tonight”, FIFA would pay the WC players individually, bypassing the FAs

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 5:45am On Jul 05, 2023
PDPGuy:
Per Channels TV program, “Sports Tonight”, FIFA would pay the WC players individually, bypassing the FAs

Yeah, that's also what the SAFA vice president said.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 8:24am On Jul 05, 2023
PDPGuy:

Very good..

I think FIFA have come to terms with how poorly treated women footballers are in most countries...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:00am On Jul 05, 2023
AkinDS:
That was then, we are talking of now. Oshoala and Ordega have lost a step or two, pace wise.
Oparanozie was never fast and was the slowest of the three O's.

Yes, Onumonu does have pace, having been a sprinter in her middle and high school days.
You can watch her games for FC Gotham to get a sense of how fast she is.

Her game has never been based on pace so I wouldn't worry about her. She needs to start and give us that physicality and power upfront.

Are you sure Onumonu was a sprinter? She is too slow abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:03am On Jul 05, 2023
AkinDS:
Its a matter of personal opinion.
Randy has started her in more games than any of the other center-backs since WAFCON, so that says something.
Just thankful we have a corp of central defenders that are reliable, perhaps the best we have had in a long time.
Yes...that was because one of Ash and Osinachi was not in the squad. It might even be due to injury.

Our options at CB is not exactly exciting. We only have three options right now. I'm not counting Mama Onome because she will retire after this world cup. We need more.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:04am On Jul 05, 2023
mostob:
Yes...that was because one of Ash and Osinachi was not in the squad. It might even be due to injury.

Our options at CB is not exactly exciting. We only have three options right now. I'm not counting Mama Onome because she will retire after this world cup. We need more.

Ashleigh was on the team when Tosin played as a CB in Mexico. The coach was even trying her in all those positions. It would be crazy to start someone else after giving Tosin such a run in the build up.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 10:23am On Jul 05, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

Ashleigh was on the team when Tosin played as a CB in Mexico. The coach was even trying her in all those positions. It would be crazy to start someone else after giving Tosin such a run in the build up.

I think he explained why that happened. Like you rightly noted, he was trying out players in different positions (in anticipation of injuries or absences should they happen) so he picked players that he felt were closest to the role he wanted them to play. It's why Ashleigh played DM that day, and if I remember correctly he also tried Ucheibe as CB. Can't say assuredly what will happen since but still think he may start Ashleigh ahead of Blessing.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:10pm On Jul 05, 2023
lovewins:

I think he explained why that happened. Like you rightly noted, he was trying out players in different positions (in anticipation of injuries or absences should they happen) so he picked players that he felt were closest to the role he wanted them to play. It's why Ashleigh played DM that day, and if I remember correctly he also tried Ucheibe as CB. Can't say assuredly what will happen since but still think he may start Ashleigh ahead of Blessing.

Blessing Demehin is growing fast and would become one of the back bone of the team in few years time but right now, I don’t see her starting ahead of Osinachi Ohale and Ashleigh Plumptre at Center Back..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:16pm On Jul 05, 2023
AkinDS:

Forwards Variety. Esther Okoronkwo, Fransisca Ordega, Monday Gift, Uchenna Kanu are all wide forwards who operate best from the flanks. Rasheedat Ajibade is a shadow forward, basically a 10 in some occasion and a can come from the Wing depending on where the Coach wants her... Ifeoma Onumonu, Asisat Oshoala & Desire Oparanozie are out and out, "targetwomen" kinda forwards though Desire Oparanozie is the only natural no.9 in the Squad right now, The kind of formation Randy will employ will determine who best fit in to makes a great difference..

But as for me I would like to have Desire Oparanozie off the bench and push Asisat Oshoala to the flank once she comes in.. Oshoala is good at delivering balls into the Box too.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:20pm On Jul 05, 2023
SuperFalcons finally arrived Brisbane safely. Their residence is Mecure Hotels , Gold Coast which is an hour' drive from Brisbane..

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:42pm On Jul 05, 2023
lovewins:

If she was a sure starter there wouldn't be any need to try her somewhere else na. Christy came in for an injured Onome at the end of the haiti match. That is not the same as Ashleigh starting a match as a midfielder. It would be ridiculous to start a player in all those matches in the build up only to start someone else.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 12:57pm On Jul 05, 2023
That would have made sense if you had someone who could deliver goals in her stead.
The problem is pushing your best striker out to the flanks to accommodate someone who, for all intents and purposes, has been poor as a top 9 in the WWC. She has yet to score a single goal in 3 world cup performances. To make it even worse, she has an OG to her name.

Meanwhile, the person making way for her has 2 WWC goals in 2 world cup appearances. That makes no sense to me!
Deltamani:

Forwards Variety. Esther Okoronkwo, Fransisca Ordega, Monday Gift, Uchenna Kanu are all wide forwards who operate best from the flanks. Rasheedat Ajibade is a shadow forward, basically a 10 in some occasion and a can come from the Wing depending on where the Coach wants her... Ifeoma Onumonu, Asisat Oshoala & Desire Oparanozie are out and out, "targetwomen" kinda forwards though Desire Oparanozie is the only natural no.9 in the Squad right now, The kind of formation Randy will employ will determine who best fit in to makes a great difference..

But as for me I would like to have Desire Oparanozie off the bench and push Asisat Oshoala to the flank once she comes in.. Oshoala is good at delivering balls into the Box too.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 1:31pm On Jul 05, 2023
AkinDS:
That would have made sense if you had someone who could deliver goals in her stead.
The problem is pushing your best striker out to the flanks to accommodate someone who, for all intents and purposes, has been poor as a top 9 in the WWC. She has yet to score a single goal in 3 world cup performances. To make it even worse, she has an OG to her name.

Meanwhile, the person making way for her has 2 WWC goals in 2 world cup appearances. That makes no sense to me!

So what are you insinuating? That Randy should play Oparanozie from the Flank once she come on?? or better still push Oshoala to the Flank??. Oshoala has two World Cup goals yes but she wasn’t the team no.9 then..

We’re after what would favour the team as a whole not any individuality..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 1:33pm On Jul 05, 2023
🇳🇬Camp Updates!

21 players are currently in Gold Coast, Australia 🇳🇿, for our training preparations for the @FIFAWWC

Still expected are Halimatu Ayinde and Francisca Ordega

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 1:39pm On Jul 05, 2023
AkinDS:

I think what you need now is to understand how tactics and positional play work. Oshoala was scoring loads of goals during the triple O era from the wing. Giroud played a whole World cup as a striker and registered zero shot on target. That Oshoala is shifted wide doesn't mean she wouldn't score from the center.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 1:52pm On Jul 05, 2023
Then? Yes. Now, absolutely NOT!

Recently, Oshoala has been the top striker and by extension, top scorer for the world's best women's football clubside for about 3 years running now.
You don't 'move' such a player to accommodate someone who is clearly, not as good. I really don't see how that would 'favor' the team. A like for like sub for Oshoala? Perhaps. It’s all about 'RECENCY' and based on that (and not individuality), Oshoala is, by far, the best option as top striker and not Oparanozie, IMO.

I was impressed with the chemistry she had with the likes of Esther, Payne, Ajibade, Echegini and others in the series against Haiti and New Zealand. Ball movement, channel running, etc. It was seemless. Impressive. No way would a coach disrupt that to accomodate another player who was the #9 in the past.

Deltamani:

So what are you insinuating? That Randy should play Oparanozie from the Flank once she come on?? or better still push Oshoala to the Flank??. Oshoala has two World Cup goals yes but she wasn’t the team no.9 then..

We’re after what would favour the team as a whole not any individuality..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by do4luv14(m): 2:11pm On Jul 05, 2023
lovewins:
🇳🇬Camp Updates!

21 players are currently in Gold Coast, Australia 🇳🇿, for our training preparations for the @FIFAWWC

Still expected are Halimatu Ayinde and Francisca Ordega

No wonder, I been wan ask where my Sweet Franny dey for all dis pisures wey dey fly upanda since
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 2:44pm On Jul 05, 2023
I thought this Should be a helpful visual to see what teams are on either side of the bracket

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 7:31pm On Jul 05, 2023
AkinDS:
Likelihood of Ashleigh as left back is slim anyway. Reason is IF Imuran is unavailable (for whatever reasons), Ogbonna will likely be the next in line.

Regarding centerbacks, surprised most here don't think highly of Tosin Demehin. I strongly believe she is high up Randy's list. I think she will be a starter. She is quick, physical and her ball playing skills (ball control and passing) and tactical awareness (reading of the game) are way up there. She started and played the full 90mins in all of our last 5 games.
I really don't see how she does not start.

Ohale and Plumptre are the preferred pairing.
Both are clearly ranked over her.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:57pm On Jul 05, 2023
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE | Wafu Draw | The champions of Nigeria and Ghana met in both the 2021 and 2022 Wafu B Women's Champions League FINALS. 🏆 Hassacas Ladies of Ghana won the 2021 edition; Bayelsa Queens won the 2022 edition.

WAFU ZONE B 2023 Draw
Group A:
Delta Queens FC (Nigeria),
USFA (Burkina Faso),
Atletico D'Abidjan (Ivory Coast),
Sam Nelly FC (Benin Republic)

Group B:
Ampem Darkoa (Ghana),
AS Garde Nationale (Niger Republic),
Academic Amis Du Monde (Togo)

WAFU ZONE A 2023 - Four teams
Determine Girls (Liberia) - Holders
Dakar Sacre Soeur (Senegal)
AS Mande (Mali)
Mogwemo Queens (Sierra Leone)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:58pm On Jul 05, 2023
FWWC Preperation matches Result

Switzerland 🇨🇭 0-0 Morocco 🇲🇦

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BankyGee(m): 8:14pm On Jul 05, 2023
Deltamani:

Looks like Morocco women are playing the same tactics/style of football their male counterparts are known for...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 8:23pm On Jul 05, 2023
Members of the England football team will not receive FIFA Women's World Cup bonuses from their national federation.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by carbonado(m): 9:00pm On Jul 05, 2023
Deltamani:
Members of the England football team will not receive FIFA Women's World Cup bonuses from their national federation.
...this world cup bonus is causing alot of trouble...has S.A settled their,i hope it wont be us next...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by samdolad(m): 9:21pm On Jul 05, 2023
Deltamani:
why are we not playing friendly matches like other teams?

(1) (2) (3) ... (710) (711) (712) (713) (714) (715) (716) ... (1072) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: Towbaba500(m), isan(m), babatundey5 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.