Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,645 members, 7,861,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 04:40 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (952) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (839504 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (949) (950) (951) (952) (953) (954) (955) ... (1089) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 10:29pm On Dec 07, 2023
Deltamani:
Randy Waldrum left out in the shortlist of the Final 3 nominations for the CAF Coach of the year award (Women).😳

Nominees

Reynald Pedros 🇲🇦
Desiree Ellis 🇿🇦
Jerry Tshabalala 🇿🇦

what’s your take on this nomination ?

My take is let's just take this women's club continental seriously. We seem to just be wavering right now. We should be in any top 3 and force to reckon with each season.

His omission is funny anyway
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:33pm On Dec 07, 2023
From what I see, this is a stronger version of Esther Okoronkwo. I hope she carries this form to her club

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 10:50pm On Dec 07, 2023
Deltamani:
Esther Okoronkwo Played 39games for Lamar University scored 35goals with 16 Assists…
51 G/A in 39 games is absolutely insane!🤯🤯
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 11:34pm On Dec 07, 2023
PDPGuy:

A Player that was on the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List then… Onyi Echegini is currently among the final 3 for that same award this year… The Biggest individual award as far as 🇺🇸 College Soccer is concerned for both Men&Women..

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 11:39pm On Dec 07, 2023
BascoVanVeli:
From what I see, this is a stronger version of Esther Okoronkwo. I hope she carries this form to her club

It was pretty clear right from College that Esther Okoronkwo was going to become a top Player… I wish some of our U17/U20 Players will take the College part but again the Nigeria System is very poor especially Financially for them to assist themselves on that Path but again who truly wants that will definitely follow…

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:10am On Dec 08, 2023
Edna Imade

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 1:29am On Dec 08, 2023
Deltamani:

A Player that was on the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List then… Onyi Echegini is currently among the final 3 for that same award this year… The Biggest individual award as far as 🇺🇸 College Soccer is concerned for both Men&Women..

Man, if she keeps up with her hard work and dedication, she would become amongst the top 6 midfielders in the world.

Now, I know college footie and pro-footie are levels apart, but I’ll bet on her also being a key player on any professional team
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 1:45am On Dec 08, 2023
Depends on the quality of the college conference
PDPGuy:

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 4:45am On Dec 08, 2023
GeneralDae:

Well physicality is more than just hold up play but aggression in addition to hold up play. Ability to doggedly shove off defenders or bulldoze your way through.

Can Onumonu do this while running with the ball? I agree her hold up play is excellent?

Physicality isn't hold up play, I only cited it cause it's one of the attributes a highly physical forward possesses. Also, note that the conversation is comparative - meaning either of the players doesn't have to possess all the attributes that make for physicality, but in comparison who is better.

Onumonu obviously does, she has more agility, and to your question she is more likely to bulldoze her way through than Esther. What Esther has over her which I have acknowledged from the very beginning is skill and maybe pace. Esther doesn't have to bulldoze her way through defences, she gets that done with dribbles and her being witty.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 5:03am On Dec 08, 2023
PDPGuy:

Ehmmm not quite o. Like AkinDS noted, the quality of conference matters. Quality of conference determines quality of opposition which obviously determines the numbers you put up.

It's like comparing the stats of someone playing in division 4 of the Spanish league to someone playing in the Premier League. For instance Roosa Ariyo also played college football in the US and she scores 79 goals in 31 games. Yes, not G/A, but 79 goals. But you didn't see NWSL clubs lining up to sign her cause the quality of competition she played afforded her the privilege to score that number of goals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 8:30am On Dec 08, 2023
Yewandefulllllll

1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 8:45am On Dec 08, 2023
AkinDS:
Depends on the quality of the college conference

Lamar belongs to the Southland Conference, should be among the top5 or 6 but I can’t really determine the top5 conference in the NCAA apart from the ACC, Big 10 & 12, Ivy and the Pac 12..

AkinDS you’re in a better position for this
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 9:05am On Dec 08, 2023
lovewins:

Physicality isn't hold up play, I only cited it cause it's one of the attributes a highly physical forward possesses. Also, note that the conversation is comparative - meaning either of the players doesn't have to possess all the attributes that make for physicality, but in comparison who is better.

Onumonu obviously does, she has more agility, and to your question she is more likely to bulldoze her way through than Esther. What Esther has over her which I have acknowledged from the very beginning is skill and maybe pace. Esther doesn't have to bulldoze her way through defences, she gets that done with dribbles and her being witty.
Anyway, I have watched just few of her games at club level, but for the superfalcons I only see her hold up play nothing else in terms of physicality. Or maybe it's just me.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 9:21am On Dec 08, 2023
Deltamani:

Lamar belongs to the Southland Conference, should be among the top5 or 6 but I can’t really determine the top5 conference in the NCAA apart from the ACC, Big 10 & 12, Ivy and the Pac 12..

Lamar is currently ranked 137 in the NCAA D1 rankings and Lamar is the best team (no 1) in the Southland conference. That should tell you all you need to know. In 2019 when Esther was there, they were 142.

Also, I don't think the US ranks conferences, what they rank is teams. However the quality of teams in your conference largely gives an idea of how your conference is perceived. Not one top team plays in the Southland conference, Lamar funnily is the best team there and they aren't even in the top 100 women's soccer team in the USA.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:40am On Dec 08, 2023
lovewins:

Lamar is currently ranked 137 in the NCAA D1 rankings and Lamar is the best team (no 1) in the Southland conference. That should tell you all you need to know. In 2019 when Esther was there, they were 142.

Also, I don't think the US ranks conferences, what they rank is teams. However the quality of teams in your conference largely gives an idea of how your conference is perceived. Not one top team plays in the Southland conference, Lamar funnily is the best team there and they aren't even in the top 100 women's soccer team in the USA.

But that doesn’t take away the fact of Playing for the best team in a Conference.. Don’t also forget how the NCAA Div1 is rated no1 ahead of NAIA and NCAA Div2 whereas a number of the NAIA Schools can as well hold their ground against the NCAA…

The NWSL College Draft have never been fair to the NAIA too cause they don’t pick players from there no matter how good the player is..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:42am On Dec 08, 2023
Deltamani:

But again I do believe the Conference have listed here hold the highest number of teams in the top100..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:47am On Dec 08, 2023
Goalkeeper Medinat Lawal School plays in the Southwestern Athletic Conference..

1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:49am On Dec 08, 2023
Deltamani:

It was pretty clear right from College that Esther Okoronkwo was going to become a top Player… I wish some of our U17/U20 Players will take the College part but again the Nigeria System is very poor especially Financially for them to assist themselves on that Path but again who truly wants that will definitely follow…

This was the best version of Esther we have seen yet and people like u must give Justin Madugu his credit because he played to her strength.

For me I would like to see more of our young girls take the college route but at the same time if a proper league comes calling I feel they should go there.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:02am On Dec 08, 2023
Deltamani:

They might be top 8 or 10 but certainly not 5 or 6. Sometimes a conference might be good in one sport but thrash in another. Other times a school might be great in a sport but the rest of the teams in their conference are weak. Plus u have to keep in mind that some of those schools change conferences like naija politicians change party so its better to just go with individual school rankings.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 10:28am On Dec 08, 2023
Schemerkhiz:
The very best.

Player of the Year (WOMEN) award - Final 3.

#CAFAwards2023

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/SHM11dtGq4H87JPF/?mibextid=gik2fB

They seems to forget that the final winner in each category is decided following votes by a panel made up of the CAF Technical Committee, media professionals from member associations, head coaches, captains and clubs involved in the group stages of interclub competitions…

Let’s wait and see who they vote for at the End between Asisat Oshoala, Thembi Kgatlana and Barbara Banda😂🤗
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by zoboizee: 10:59am On Dec 08, 2023
@Basco. You put some nigerian women league teams videos on Youtube. I watched it and was impressed by the quality of play by the girls. Teams such as Rivers Angels & Edo Queens with relatively good players but these girls were not given invites to play in the National Team. Why do we like relying on foreign born/based players so much.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:57pm On Dec 08, 2023
Deltamani:

They seems to forget that the final winner in each category is decided following votes by a panel made up of the CAF Technical Committee, media professionals from member associations, head coaches, captains and clubs involved in the group stages of interclub competitions…

Let’s wait and see who they vote for at the End between Asisat Oshoala, Thembi Kgatlana and Barbara Banda😂🤗

Barbra Banda and Kgatlana shouldn't be there ahead of Kundananji.

It is complete stoopidity to refuse a player playing in your tournament then nominate her for an award.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 4:21pm On Dec 08, 2023
zoboizee:
@Basco. You put some nigerian women league teams videos on Youtube. I watched it and was impressed by the quality of play by the girls. Teams such as Rivers Angels & Edo Queens with relatively good players but these girls were not given invites to play in the National Team. Why do we like relying on foreign born/based players so much.
Let them get back to continental glory first. The CafWCL is an exciting competition. Another route to shine. Become consistent like mamelodi and their asfar and they can be anything they want.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 4:31pm On Dec 08, 2023
Some Promising Falconets names from years ago that we wished were balling on the grand stage by now

Soo Adewagh
Courtney Dike
Esther Sunday
Loveth Ayila
Ihezuo
Helen Ukaonu
Igbinovia
Whyte

Add yours.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 4:40pm On Dec 08, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

Barbra Banda and Kgatlana shouldn't be there ahead of Kundananji.

It is complete stoopidity to refuse a player playing in your tournament then nominate her for an award.

The most ridiculous nomination so far. How exactly is Barbra Banda a top 3 candidate? Someone who didn't feature in the WAFCON (no fault of hers) and have no club record to leverage on. All she has is the world cup where she scored just one goal and got knocked out of the group stage. How exactly does she get picked over her compatriot with 25 goals in the La Liga F and 1 goal at the world cup. This is fast becoming a popularity contest.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 4:43pm On Dec 08, 2023
Deltamani:

WAFCON and Bad belle may just give it to Kgatlana. Laurels wise no one comes close to Asisat
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 5:03pm On Dec 08, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

Esther Okoronkwo that I spoke to in 2020 and made Yanga at first that she wasn’t going to Play for Nigeria but the US. Anyway sha good for her. I remember I told Sam about it.

I remember clearly how after the 2010 U20 FIFA Women’s World Cup when IDS Indiana State University women's soccer team offered Ebere Orji a Scholarship to come Play for them but she turn it down, she rather stayed back here in Nigeria for few years before she got her first Professional contract Abroad to go Play for Ferencvaros FC, in Hungary then where she won trophies and the League Golden boot before moving to Sweden where she has been for over 6years now.

Ebere Orji would have been one of Nigeria top Star by now but her National team Career didn’t go as expected. A player who finished top3 alongside Perpetual Nkwocha and Stella Mbachu for the Africa Best Award then in 2010. Some one who lost the Golden Ball award to Alexander Popp then in the U20 WC final.
She was one of the Players Coach Uche Ngozi Eucharia love so much then that made her Drop Cynthia Uwak/the Sexuality Saga. I just wish our U20 players will follow the US College Soccer Path.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 5:11pm On Dec 08, 2023
daveP:
Some Promising Falconets names from years ago that we wished were balling on the grand stage by now

Soo Adewagh
Courtney Dike
Esther Sunday
Loveth Ayila
Ihezuo
Helen Ukaonu
Igbinovia
Whyte

Add yours.

Of the above named players Whyte isn't supposed to be there cause she was never a superb goalie just an average one Coach Edwin Okon was forcing on Nigeria throat..

Soo Adekwagh is married, based in Finland with three kids now. A girl and twin boys. She didn't really play her into the Superfalcon but was very good at the age grade teams.

Helen Ukaonu and Osas Igbinovia are married and both are also mothers.. Ukaonu gave birth to her first daughter in 2015 if I'm not mistaking.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 5:43pm On Dec 08, 2023
Schemerkhiz:

Esther Okoronkwo that I spoke to in 2020 and made Yanga at first that she wasn’t going to Play for Nigeria but the US. Anyway sha good for her. I remember I told Sam about it.

I remember clearly how after the 2010 U20 FIFA Women’s World Cup when IDS Indiana State University women's soccer team offered Ebere Orji a Scholarship to come Play for them but she turn it down, she rather stayed back here in Nigeria for few years before she got her first Professional contract Abroad to go Play for Ferencvaros FC, in Hungary then where she won trophies and the League Golden boot before moving to Sweden where she has been for over 6years now.

Ebere Orji would have been one of Nigeria top Star by now but her National team Career didn’t go as expected. A player who finished top3 alongside Perpetual Nkwocha and Stella Mbachu for the Africa Best Award then in 2010. Some one who lost the Golden Ball award to Alexander Popp then in the U20 WC final.
She was one of the Players Coach Uche Ngozi Eucharia love so much then that made her Drop Cynthia Uwak/the Sexuality Saga. I just wish our U20 players will follow the US College Soccer Path.

The problem sadly is lack of models. Really do hope the Deborah Abiodun experiment becomes VERY successful to serve as incentive for others. The very deep poverty many our home-grown players have experienced makes toiling a few more years in college a hard sell. I really want Debbie to succeed not just in football but also in academics. She should become like the prototype for others to follow. Of course I'm aware players like Kanu also went the college route, but the context is a bit different and she didn't enjoy same visibility that Debbie is enjoying now.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:02pm On Dec 08, 2023
https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2023/12/us-soccer-mexican-football-federation-submit-bid-right-to-host-2027-fifa-womens-world-cup

USA 🇺🇸 and Mexico 🇲🇽 submit there joint bid to host the Fifa Women's World Cup in 2027

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:36pm On Dec 08, 2023
daveP:
Let them get back to continental glory first. The CafWCL is an exciting competition. Another route to shine. Become consistent like mamelodi and their asfar and they can be anything they want.

Tosin Demehin, Deborah Abiodun, Gift Monday and Rofiat Imuran were part of the Rivers Angels squad that got thrashed by asfar. It doesn't always have to be about winning local trophies, a good player is a good player.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by dkay51(m): 7:05pm On Dec 08, 2023
Deltamani:
https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2023/12/us-soccer-mexican-football-federation-submit-bid-right-to-host-2027-fifa-womens-world-cup

USA 🇺🇸 and Mexico 🇲🇽 submit there joint bid to host the Fifa Women's World Cup in 2027

It looks like the default bid tbh just fresh after hosting an expanded men's tournament, all their infrastructure would be in pristine condition to host an even smaller event but would FIFA want to give both World Cups to the same country.

(1) (2) (3) ... (949) (950) (951) (952) (953) (954) (955) ... (1089) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: babatundey5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.