Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,831 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins (26537 Views)

7 Things You Should Never Discuss In The Office / 10 Ways To Look Busy In The Office: The Gospel Of Lazy Bones. A Must Read / How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 12, 2016
Guys that's how it is in every company. But if the necessary IT tool is put in place, you can actually make fool of these users.
Had similar experience but since my coy implemented IT service desk software, the call is gradually reducing because if any on calls IT for any issue it will be logged in the software and at the end of the month the report will show how foolish the users are.

For example: A user can not log into an application and called IT for service request, after so much discussions with the user, he finally confessed he forgot password, that he doesn't have to type password whenever he wants to use the application.

Some users tend to lie when they don't want to work. Most of them will say not network even when the don't login to the network.

I've experienced some situations where users want computer to FLY, cook and do all sort of magic for them.

NOTE:
If your company can put in place a service desk solution and it's being supported by top management of your company. The call will reduce. Because there will be a single point of call and it will be logged into the system. I've had a manager called me personally that he forgot his password, after helping him out, i logged it in the software. He had to call and ask me why. Since then most users are reluctant to call, they tend to do a first check before calling.

It will take a while but it's definitely achievable.

4 Likes

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by Sibrah: 8:50am On Oct 12, 2016
frrank:

Abeg take am easy. No calling of names. It's supposed to be fun.
fun indeed. The type that bring bad memory ehn?
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by oluplus(m): 8:53am On Oct 12, 2016
patriotic9jaboy:
So the essence of this thread is for everyone to know you have a job abi? I hope you will come here to tell us when they fire u due to recession. Who ur IT epp
Guy, you dont have to hate. Be positive. Op will not be fired IJN.

1 Like

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by umcsolutions: 8:56am On Oct 12, 2016
Very True!!! grin cheesy

viqueta:
How other staffs in the office see IT Admins.......

Computer refuses to come on, they scream IT..... when you come you will discover that they didn't plug in the power cable

Printer refuses to print, they scream IT when you finally get there you discover that they didn't load paper

AC refuses to work, they scream IT, come and check why this AC is not working

Coffee maker refuses to work, they scream IT, come and make it work

Their cell phones doesn't have network, they scream IT, why can't i make calls, madam am i your service provider?

Car refuses to start, they be like call that IT guy may be he can fix it, errr sir, but i don't even have a car in the first place

Office door refuses to open, they call IT, but madam am not a carpenter na

please we are IT admins, we love our jobs no doubt but we are not MAGICIANS #lifeofanITadmin #ITisfun #ITrules
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by Kennyfancy(m): 8:57am On Oct 12, 2016
viqueta:

Computer refuses to come on, they scream IT..... when you come you will discover that they didn't plug in the power cable

Printer refuses to print, they scream IT when you finally get there you discover that they didn't load paper

Their cell phones doesn't have network, they scream IT, why can't i make calls, madam am i your service provider?

Car refuses to start, they be like call that IT guy may be he can fix it, errr sir, but i don't even have a car in the first place

please we are IT admins, we love our jobs no doubt but we are not MAGICIANS #lifeofanITadmin #ITisfun #ITrules
sir am an up-coming IT practitional, cn i gt ur contact so you can put me through in certain aspect

1 Like

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by Sibrah: 8:58am On Oct 12, 2016
Is it the part where people refuse to do their work and blame brand new system or where the hr calls you and start recounting the offenses of all past IT you didn't even interact with?
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by Afam4eva(m): 8:59am On Oct 12, 2016
IT staff don suffer i swear. I had a taste of the expectations people have of IT staffs. There's nothing i did not attempt to repair as an IT staff. It's worse when you try to explain to them that you're just a software guy. They will ignorantly be like "You're not that good then". E remain small make people carry their fridge from house make i dey repair.

2 Likes

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by theGistsonline: 9:03am On Oct 12, 2016
patriotic9jaboy:
So the essence of this thread is for everyone to know you have a job abi? I hope you will come here to tell us when they fire u due to recession. Who ur IT epp
lol! Yes! & it seems like a glorified mechanic/ carpentry job
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by LockDown69(m): 9:08am On Oct 12, 2016
grin I can relate to that.
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by Scholar8200(m): 9:18am On Oct 12, 2016
viqueta:

What skills are to be possessed by a would be IT admin especially for one that does not have a degree in IT ?
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by BossLadyF(f): 9:29am On Oct 12, 2016
Even as a female, I experienced it and some days I'll go home really tired but I must resume work as early as 8am the next day. I was given a placement as a consultant but I became a consultant, an accountant, a cleaner, a messenger, a secretary, etc. Just because I was the youngest IT personnel.

My working hours were supposed to be 8am-4pm but some days I'll leave the office by 6:30pm. Even some weekends, he calls me to take files from the office to his wife if he's not in town or to mail documents to him if necessary. Meanwhile he has a PA and a Secretary.

I couldn't take it one day when one of his babe came to my office and asked me why I didn't pump water. I told her she should ask the office assistants and she said "don't you know it's also part of your job?". I had to tell her my mind and tendered my resignation but it wasn't approved though cos my boss was scared I might tell his wife out of anger.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by Stanbeto: 9:38am On Oct 12, 2016
Na wetin we dey see o
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by richidinho(m): 9:38am On Oct 12, 2016
Mearicute:
arsenal beat chelsea..... where'z dat IT staff plz come and make changes
... grin
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by viqueta(m): 9:52am On Oct 12, 2016
lool....you can imagine
talktrue1:
True talk.
A staff bought a car automated device simply because she was told that it can be used to diagnose her car when plugged in a computer

She came back and called IT to help her diagnose her car since IT is all about computer
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by viqueta(m): 9:53am On Oct 12, 2016
you no lie my brother
Wilson125:
Na women dey sabi disturb pass, I knw one lady 4 GT bank, d IT nigga fit hate him job bcus of dat lady... even krokro no reach dat lady...
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by viqueta(m): 9:54am On Oct 12, 2016
thanks for the respect bro, e no easy but e go better
sixtus3606:

Lol....this cracked me up! grin

Just yesterday, my phone Couldnt boot, so I had to do the weirdo......IT My phone's not coming up!!!

Respect to IT GEEKS

1 Like

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by viqueta(m): 9:55am On Oct 12, 2016
My point exactly brother, them go dey disturb you for things wey no concern you
frrank:
Monitor is off - IT my system is not displaying.

System is not browsing - You wonder who tampered with the system date.

They send doc to the wrong printer - IT my system is not printing.

My printer is not printing - Sometimes they are right in this. The printer does refuse to print sometimes until i ping the printer from the affected system.

They send very large doc to the network printer, after 5-10secs of waiting they scream IT my printer is not printing.

You inform them you're restarting the network devices, then just immediately someone screams, IT no network. Hmmmm this the most painful.

A/c is not cooling, someone screams IT, you go there only to discover they had removed it from the starbilizer.

There's no power in their extension socket, you get there to discover the power button on the extension is off even though the button on the wall socket is on.

They mistakenly send a mail to the wrong person - Hmmm this one na office arrest. They'll come and fetch you immediately to help them recall the mail by all means.

Network is slow - you discover 2 - 3 people are on YouTube while another is download a movie.

No wifi signal - I won't write on this.

They forgot their login password. - SYSTEM must have prompted them to change but they ignored.

To be continued...

The thing is, hardware related issue makes you exercise your legs. Software/application related issues. This I'll login to their system remotely and resolve the matter.

1 Like

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by Michaelamara: 9:58am On Oct 12, 2016
When you discover you recover,information brings transformation, if you are not informed you are deformed. The difference between the rich and the poor is information and the willingness to take bold steps. We are in the time of recession but do you know some persons are still smiling to the bank? Click on the group link and join the wonderful family of millionaires who work together as a team for the common goal of making money in millions in a short time. Discover how you can turn 10500 to millions in just one month. Don't be like that poor man who sees risk where opportunities lies. If you are tired of poverty click on the link below and join our daily 2pm and 8pm seminars for more information.
https:///GGp4f7VparIEGi5VFCejBB

1 Like

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by viqueta(m): 9:58am On Oct 12, 2016
I always admire and appreciate ladies who are doing IT jobs, it's not easy for a guy not to talk of a lady.Kudos to you dear, you can always quote me when you need any form assistance from me and hope you won't mind if i do same to to? my email add is sleemdezine@gmail.com
dayus12:
Op you are right...I experience that almost everyday..... wink smiley

1 Like

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by viqueta(m): 10:00am On Oct 12, 2016
my pleasure sir,my email is sleemdezine@gmail.com, follow me on twitter @viqueta
Kennyfancy:
sir am an up-coming IT practitional, cn i gt ur contact so you can put me through in certain aspect
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by viqueta(m): 10:03am On Oct 12, 2016
wow....so nice to know that females are really venturing into IT as a full time job, kudos to you dear, please feel free to quote me if you ned any assistance as regards IT issues or send a mail to sleemdezine@gmail.com
BossLadyF:
Even as a female, I experienced it and some days I'll go home really tired but I must resume work as early as 8am the next day. I was given a placement as a consultant but I became a consultant, an accountant, a cleaner, a messenger, a secretary, etc. Just because I was the youngest IT personnel.

My working hours were supposed to be 8am-4pm but some days I'll leave the office by 6:30pm. Even some weekends, he calls me to take files from the office to his wife if he's not in town or to mail documents to him if necessary. Meanwhile he has a PA and a Secretary.

I couldn't take it one day when one of his babe came to my office and asked me why I didn't pump water. I told her she should ask the office assistants and she said "don't you know it's also part of your job?". I had to tell her my mind and tendered my resignation but it wasn't approved though cos my boss was scared I might tell his wife out of anger.
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by noblet2(f): 10:05am On Oct 12, 2016
I remember someone called me just to ask for extra power pack, that he left his own at home.

1 Like

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by viqueta(m): 10:06am On Oct 12, 2016
please bro how can i reach you cos i think am interested in that software
ibrodex:
Guys that's how it is in every company. But if the necessary IT tool is put in place, you can actually make fool of these users.
Had similar experience but since my coy implemented IT service desk software, the call is gradually reducing because if any on calls IT for any issue it will be logged in the software and at the end of the month the report will show how foolish the users are.

For example: A user can not log into an application and called IT for service request, after so much discussions with the user, he finally confessed he forgot password, that he doesn't have to type password whenever he wants to use the application.

Some users tend to lie when they don't want to work. Most of them will say not network even when the don't login to the network.

I've experienced some situations where users want computer to FLY, cook and do all sort of magic for them.

NOTE:
If your company can put in place a service desk solution and it's being supported by top management of your company. The call will reduce. Because there will be a single point of call and it will be logged into the system. I've had a manager called me personally that he forgot his password, after helping him out, i logged it in the software. He had to call and ask me why. Since then most users are reluctant to call, they tend to do a first check before calling.

It will take a while but it's definitely achievable.
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by noblet2(f): 10:07am On Oct 12, 2016
frrank:
Monitor is off - IT my system is not displaying.

System is not browsing - You wonder who tampered with the system date.

They send doc to the wrong printer - IT my system is not printing.

My printer is not printing - Sometimes they are right in this. The printer does refuse to print sometimes until i ping the printer from the affected system.

They send very large doc to the network printer, after 5-10secs of waiting they scream IT my printer is not printing.

You inform them you're restarting the network devices, then just immediately someone screams, IT no network. Hmmmm this the most painful.

A/c is not cooling, someone screams IT, you go there only to discover they had removed it from the starbilizer.

There's no power in their extension socket, you get there to discover the power button on the extension is off even though the button on the wall socket is on.

They mistakenly send a mail to the wrong person - Hmmm this one na office arrest. They'll come and fetch you immediately to help them recall the mail by all means.

Network is slow - you discover 2 - 3 people are on YouTube while another is download a movie.

No wifi signal - I won't write on this.

They forgot their login password. - SYSTEM must have prompted them to change but they ignored.

To be continued...

The thing is, hardware related issue makes you exercise your legs. Software/application related issues. This I'll login to their system remotely and resolve the matter.

The list is endless.

1 Like

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by viqueta(m): 10:11am On Oct 12, 2016
another female in the IT world, kudos to you sis, please feel free to quote me if you need any form of assistance as regards IT issues
noblet2:
I remember someone called me just to ask for extra power pack, that he left his own at home.
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 12, 2016
viqueta:
please bro how can i reach you cos i think am interested in that software

You can google ITIL service desk software. there are many of them out there but you have to be sure of what you want to achieve with the software and whether the software is flexible enough to cater for your need.

Google 'manage engine'.
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by viqueta(m): 10:24am On Oct 12, 2016
thanks bro, am on it
ibrodex:

You can google ITIL service desk software. there are many of them out there but you have to be sure of what you want to achieve with the software and whether the software is flexible enough to cater for your need.

Google 'manage engine'.
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by BossLadyF(f): 10:32am On Oct 12, 2016
viqueta:
wow....so nice to know that females are really venturing into IT as a full time job, kudos to you dear, please feel free to quote me if you ned any assistance as regards IT issues or send a mail to sleemdezine@gmail.com

Thanks dear. I sure will smiley
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by Azeeztaophic(m): 10:59am On Oct 12, 2016
My guy in the office na so the thing be.
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by dayus12(f): 11:05am On Oct 12, 2016
viqueta:
I always admire and appreciate ladies who are doing IT jobs, it's not easy for a guy not to talk of a lady.Kudos to you dear, you can always quote me when you need any form assistance from me and hope you won't mind if i do same to to? my email add is sleemdezine@gmail.com

Yeah...Thanks....I will surely contact when need be...
Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by Godbest(m): 11:16am On Oct 12, 2016
seriously I must confess you are reading my mind. This set of people frustrate me everyday ...... But I love my job, and that is what keep motivating me every day at work #IAMANITtechnician.

funny enough after you have help them fix their issue , all they say is "Is it not just this small thing what ,, so big in it, I can even do it myself if i have your brain"'

they are just too annoying

viqueta:

2 Likes

Re: How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins by Nobody: 11:39am On Oct 12, 2016
Godbest:
seriously I must confess you are reading my mind. This set of people frustrate me everyday ...... But I love my job, and that is what keep motivating me every day at work #IAMANITtechnician.

funny enough after you have help them fix their issue , all they say is "Is it not just this small thing what ,, so big in it, I can even do it myself if i have your brain"'

they are just too annoying

I can feel your pains. I've been in this situations many times. The resent was a user correcting me on a default remote connection i hard coded for an in-house program. All effort to let the user understand that the code is correct as it is were proven abortive. The user insist that the connection is not correct. I just laughed in my mind and reported the whole scenario on our service desk.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Charles Kie Resigns As Ecobank Nigeria's CEO / My Salary Has Finished / First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.