Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,264 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country (7266 Views)

Excitement In Borno As Troops Reclaim Gudumbari / 90% Of Boko Haram Are Foreigners,northern Youths Rise Up And Protect Your Land / Youths Rise Up N Fight For Your Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 3:13pm On Oct 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I disagree. Change should not be about war or massive disruption. Those should come as a result of a move to change things, it should be not the first thought. Most of the adults have knowledge of when things were better in that country and not they currently hold that country hostage as they are the parents. If the parents are unwilling to stand up for what is right, how can the children, whose idea of what is right, and what is wrong, is from what they have collected over the years from watching their parents be expected to do the RIGHT thing?

This war for Change is not to be on the shoulders of our youths, most of whom are fighting to know who they really are in this world.

When discussing change the wrong approach is to parallel children vs. parent.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 3:14pm On Oct 21, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

what don't you understand ?

How about you explain what the different stakes are and who holds them? Then explain why they are all incompatible, then we can start the discussion,
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 3:15pm On Oct 21, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

I disagree. When discussing change, if EVERYONE is not involved at some level, how long do you think this change will last?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by soxy: 3:16pm On Oct 21, 2009
this one, wey ona no want even agree say people go chage, na waaaa oooo. Una neve even tire to the criticize? lets give everything a chance, even wen we criticize they still fail so make we try encourage small, even if we go still change. thats the first step to change!~!!!!!
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 3:18pm On Oct 21, 2009
@ Afrocynic:

A Nonprofit's end result is different from the end goal of a corporation.

Nonprofits are dependent and accountable to their funders
Corporations simply want to make a profit.

As long as that goverment/society is conducive to their particular business climate corruption does not have to be related unless the "powers in play" expect it.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 3:18pm On Oct 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I disagree. When discussing change, if EVERYONE is not involved at some level, how long do you think this change will last?

well, that was the point im trying to make. it should be a dichotomy between child vs. parent as you stated previously.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 3:19pm On Oct 21, 2009
soxy:

this one, wey ona no want even agree say people go chage, na waaaa oooo. Una neve even tire to the criticize? lets give everything a chance, even wen we criticize they still fail so make we try encourage small, even if we go still change. thats the first step to change!~!!!!!

Dialogue is vital and what everyone consider CHANGE IS DIFFERENT. its Nigerians we speak of. lol. smiley
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by luckynzo(m): 3:19pm On Oct 21, 2009
Instead of taking Achebe's message and getting inspired, we are attacking Ribadu. Of all the criminals he arrested, tell me which of them was falsely accused. Let us reason together and rise up to the challenge of fixing Nigeria else ouir children are the ones that will suffer.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 3:20pm On Oct 21, 2009
[/quote][quote author=POSAKOSA1 link=topic=340591.msg4773612#msg4773612 date=1256134411]

Precisely! Everybody has a role to play. Let's use the Freedom Rides in South as an example. The young people went to on marches and sit ins, whilst the 'adults' had meeting and fleshed out their points of grievances and worked out how to proceed with the powers that be.

Nigerian youth have been rendered powerless, they have been corrupted and used and abused. It is time we say enough! From Awka to Abeokuta, From Kano to Kafanchan,  It is all the same, no one is better off because he belongs to one ethnic group is better off, if you are not a member of the political elite, you know what I mean!
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 3:22pm On Oct 21, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

well, that was the point im trying to make. it should be a dichotomy between child vs. parent as you stated previously.

Ok. I must have read you wrong then.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 3:23pm On Oct 21, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

@ Afrocynic:

A Nonprofit's end result is different from the end goal of a corporation.

Nonprofits are dependent and accountable to their funders
Corporations simply want to make a profit.

As long as that goverment/society is conducive to their particular business climate corruption does not have to be related unless the "powers in play" expect it.

Dude, I am not going to bother with you, This explanation does not gel with your earlier point. I did not want you to give me a class in 'business practices' I wanted you to flesh out your point about different stake holders and the stake they hold, vis-a-vis Nigeria and its politics, Why is that hard to do?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 3:24pm On Oct 21, 2009
ok, ill give you this story.

the CEO of Johnson and Johnson sought to expand into SA during the aparthied. Its goal was to simply create a market in SA. The daughter of a prominent person had lunch with this man to inform him not to conduct business with the government,

This woman affected the result of this particular stakeholder even though his original intent was not to produce any socially responsible end result. I don't know if im making myself clear,

Stakeholders include

Corporations <for a developing/emerging country/corporations are the most influential>

Nonprofits
Churches
Individuals <powerful tribal leaders>

you first need to define who these stakeholders are.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 3:26pm On Oct 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Ok. I must have read you wrong then.

I meant SHOULD NOT BE a dichotomy.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 3:26pm On Oct 21, 2009
AfroCynic:

Dude, I am not going to bother with you, This explanation does not gel with your earlier point. I did not want you to give me a class in 'business practices' I wanted you to flesh out your point about different stake holders and the stake they hold, vis-a-vis Nigeria and its politics, Why is that hard to do?

Sorry, I am not trying to lecture you. Nigerians are BRILLIANT people. I am trying to convey my point but im not getting it across properly.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 3:27pm On Oct 21, 2009
Maybe if you tell me what you don't understand, I can explain further.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 3:29pm On Oct 21, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

Maybe if you tell me what you don't understand, I can explain further.

Nah do not worry, it seem that you are hell bent on using business as an example and I am finding it rather tedious,

Moving on,
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 3:33pm On Oct 21, 2009
AfroCynic:

Nah do not worry, it seem that you are hell bent on using business as an example and I am finding it rather tedious,

Moving on,

Corporations are the most prominent stakeholders a developing country can have.
They provide workforce development and growth,
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by soxy: 3:35pm On Oct 21, 2009
So u r all technically sayin u dont want change, what the way forwad? nigerians lets b a bit Natural
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 3:40pm On Oct 21, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

I meant SHOULD NOT BE a dichotomy.

Let me try to explain my point again. Change should be just be a call for YOUTHS but a call for ALL Nigerians, Adults AND Youths alike, to come to the rescue of the Nation. It is not a dichotomy, hence not PARENTS VS CHILDREN. But a call for PARENTS AND CHILDREN to step up to the plate for the good of all.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 3:48pm On Oct 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Let me try to explain my point again. Change should be just be a call for YOUTHS but a call for ALL Nigerians, Adults AND Youths alike, to come to the rescue of the Nation. It is not a dichotomy, hence not PARENTS VS CHILDREN. But a call for PARENTS AND CHILDREN to step up to the plate for the good of all.

makes sense.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by duduspace(m): 3:51pm On Oct 21, 2009
Imagines Fela onstage,

I know wan die, I know wan quench, Papa dey house, mama dey house, I no get car, I wan get car e.t.c.

A cowardly people can never achieve anything meaningful.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Nezan(m): 4:06pm On Oct 21, 2009
Good talk, man.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Rosabelle(f): 4:08pm On Oct 21, 2009
AfroCynic:

Nah do not worry, it seem that you are hell bent on using business as an example and I am finding it rather tedious, Moving on,
wink

Corporations here or there. Stakeholders here or there. IF . . . .and I say IF in capital letters. IF nigerians decide today that our government work for us and no longer for Americans, it will happen.
Maybe not overnight. ANd maybe not to 90%. But a good 50% will do.
Its OUR country and OUR government.
And we have it in our hands and with our mouths to make that change.
I de go!
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 4:11pm On Oct 21, 2009
@Rosabelle, you actually believe your government works for America?? Roflmao!!!! grin grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy

The joke of the century!!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 4:13pm On Oct 21, 2009
Rosabelle:

wink

Corporations here or there. Stakeholders here or there. IF . . . .and I say IF in capital letters. IF nigerians decide today that our government work for us and no longer for Americans, it will happen.
Maybe not overnight. ANd maybe not to 90%. But a good 50% will do.
Its OUR country and OUR government.
And we have it in our hands and with our mouths to make that change.
I de go!

I agree 100%. The present Nigerian government has no credibility with its people. It is afraid of confrontation and it is desperate to be seen a regional power, if the youth march, the government will be powerless to act, the cannot turn the army on the people, especially with the world looking on,
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Rosabelle(f): 4:16pm On Oct 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Rosabelle, you actually believe your government works for America?? Roflmao!!!! grin grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy
The joke of the century!!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin
Who owns Chevron??
Not only do they work for the Americans. They also work for the french and the dutch . . . who owns Mobil??or Shell Petroleum
You laugh?
Have you been to Warri? Are you aware that and good 98% of Nigerias revenue is from the Delta??
You laugh?
Are you aware the bridges in Lagos and the city of Abuja (to name a few) were built from the money made by the Americans and dutch?
You laugh?  ? ? ? ? ?

Mr Posakosa spoke of the shareholders who wont allow a change in a developing nation like ours and thats what I was answering to. The corporate organisations who'd want the nation to stay in its present state for their own schemes.
Thats what Im refering to. So dont laugh until youve been to Ijaw and Itsekiri land. Dont laugh if you dont know.
And YES. The big American corporations  have a great stake in making sure A LOT of developing nations like ours dont move forward!
Its not a laughing matter.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Rosabelle(f): 4:19pm On Oct 21, 2009
Ou forefathers sold our right to our oil and our land to the white man ages ago for mirrors and powder and fine wrappers. Today, people cannot fish in their waters or plant crops in their backyards liek they used to. Or plant herbs that heal their ailments.
Their land is GONE. Sold to white men, whom our government has refused to call to book.
So WHO tell me, Mr Kobojunkie is our government working for? WHO?
Its our country and an interested government would have long since revoked those rights of land, or demanded a clear-up of the spillage going on.
Dont laugh.
I know what Im talking about and Ive see people suffer in a country full of wealth!
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 4:22pm On Oct 21, 2009
Rosabelle:

Who owns Chevron??
Not only do they work for the Americans. They also work for the french and the dutch . . . who owns Mobil??or Shell Petroleum
You laugh?
Have you been to Warri? Are you aware that and good 98% of Nigerias revenue is from the Delta??
You laugh?
Are you aware the bridges in Lagos and the city of Abuja (to name a few) were built from the money made by the Americans and dutch?
You laugh?  ? ? ? ? ?

Mr Posakosa spoke of the shareholders who wont allow a change in a developing nation like ours and thats what I was answering to. The corporate organisations who'd want the nation to stay in its present state for their own schemes.
Thats what Im refering to. So dont laugh until youve been to Ijaw and Itsekiri land. Dont laugh if you dont know.
And YES. The big American corporations  have a great stake in making sure A LOT of developing nations like ours dont move forward!
Its not a laughing matter.

The way you conspiracy theorists draw your conclusions never seizes to amaze me. Did you also research what portions of the mentioned companies your own government controls? That loans were obtained to build brigdes from particular countries who were at least willing to give the loans means your country WORKS for those countries? That, according to you, 98% of the revenue generated in Nigeria is from the delta is reason why Nigeria works for America So when the deal to sell these companies to the chinese works out, then you will change your tune to "NIGERIA IS WORKING FOR CHINA"? *** SHUDDERS****
and ***SHUDDERS *** AGAIN.

You really are a joker and this is definitely the joke of the century!!! Roflmao!!! grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 4:23pm On Oct 21, 2009
Rosabelle:

Ou forefathers sold our right to our oil and our land to the white man ages ago for mirrors and powder and fine wrappers. Today, people cannot fish in their waters or plant crops in their backyards liek they used to. Or plant herbs that heal their ailments.
Their land is GONE. Sold to white men, whom our government has refused to call to book.
So WHO tell me, Mr Kobojunkie is our government working for? WHO?
Its our country and an interested government would have long since revoked those rights of land, or demanded a clear-up of the spillage going on.
Dont laugh.
I know what Im talking about and Ive see people suffer in a country full of wealth!

I think Kobojunkie has been well and truly spanked! Did you like it dude? Nigeria might not be working for these nation per se but the disfunction and near collapse of the country is beneficial to the multi nationals as well as the ruling class, you cannot deny this,
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Rosabelle(f): 4:27pm On Oct 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

The way you conspiracy theorists draw your conclusions never seizes to amaze me. Did you also research what portions of the mentioned companies your own government controls? That loans were obtained to build brigdes from particular countries who were at least willing to give the loans means your country WORKS for those countries? That, according to you, 98% of the revenue generated in Nigeria is from the delta is reason why Nigeria works for America So when the deal to sell these companies to the chinese works out, then you will change your tune to "NIGERIA IS WORKING FOR CHINA"? *** SHUDDERS****
and ***SHUDDERS *** AGAIN.
You really are a joker and this is definitely the joke of the century!!! Roflmao!!! grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin
And I shudder at you cos you contradict yourself.
Answer me please. WHO IS THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT WORKING FOR?

Since I said they work for the french and the americans and the dutch and you laughed. Who then are they workign for?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by sshalom(m): 4:31pm On Oct 21, 2009
Whatever must have been the shortcomings of Ribadu when he headed EFCC, IT'S HEARTWARMING THAT HE HAS NOT BEEN ACCUSED of taking bribes. If we had three Ribadus running our three most important public institutions viz Customs, Police and NNPC; 'am sure this country would rival any developed nation of the world.

I laugh at times when people talk of Human Rights and Rule of Law in Nigeria as it is glaring that we actually mean the opposite and try to force issues when people are guilty. May God help us!
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 4:31pm On Oct 21, 2009
It does not take an slowpoke to figure out by now that the government is currently NOT WORKING but pushing the enrich the pockets of the many individuals in government. How many millionaires have been made in the last decade in that country? thousands. How many billionaires? We have quite some and the number if growing right there in Nigeria. To see that you have a corrupt system that continues to allow LOOTERS( as in thieves who steal money over and over) and then ask who the government is WORKING FOR makes me wonder if you have an inkling of what the problem Achebe is speaking of here really is. Do you even know what the problem is with our system at all??

Coming up with disconnected logic such as the one you have posted there only tells me you have little grasp on reality of the situation down in Nigeria, let alone the world around you. How can you keep blaming the man who comes to buy fish( he does not even live there with you) for the stench that continues to consume your house, and surroundings? How can you blame him for the fact that you choose to paint your wall with faeces, and complain all day of how it stinks? How can you continue to blame your neighbour for your choice to live in filth day and night??

***Shudders*** in disgust!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Innoson Unveils First ‘made-in-nigeria’ Cars (pics) / 28 Pensioners Die In Cross River State Over Non-payment Of Entitlements.. / Only 10 Out Of 45 Registered Political Parties In Nigeria Have Websites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.