Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,201 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country (7264 Views)

Excitement In Borno As Troops Reclaim Gudumbari / 90% Of Boko Haram Are Foreigners,northern Youths Rise Up And Protect Your Land / Youths Rise Up N Fight For Your Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by beknown(m): 6:25pm On Oct 21, 2009
Quote from samstels
Gents,
I think the simplest way to achieve this change is by doing the much we can in our own various little ways.

Let the change start from you and me ,in our homes ,offices ,market places ,churches ,car garages ,on the roads ,schools ,villages
etc.

If individually we show examples of good values and always do things right ,it wont take us time to get to the promised land.
Its all about sacrifices ,we might not live to see the gains but surely our children and future generations will.

Rise up nigerian youths ,the change is in our hands now ,Yes WE CAN.

I totally agree with you here. It will not take a lot for individual youths to engage within their immediate locality. The change should start from me and you. If each and every youth adopt the same simple strategy, there will be improvement in the process and the result generated from the process will be fairer.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by citizenY(m): 6:40pm On Oct 21, 2009
@mike oscar
Now Please if there is anybody out there who understansds our culture and the mentality of our government and can advise on a strategy/strategies then let's hear them and we can start building up, prayerfully, Tactically, Wisely(we need to engage key stakeholders who can galvanise the populace based on a common platform), we can use the local and international media, the NGOs, Activist etc but it's got to be pretty well organised, articulated and well orchestrated. oh  and non -violent too. Now, I believe there even better ideas on this forum that what I have suggested but we can get opinions together as  A TEAM  agree on the best way to present our case.
I believe there are lot's of people on ground who are also fed-up with the way our succesive regimes have run our country.

This is the way foward. In the same vein, I want to add that a lot of guys need to be weaned from their mindset( arrogance, ignorance and prejudice). The y know themselves , so there is no need
mentioning names. If you just go through this thread and you see the guys deliberately shifting this thread to prejudiced zones, you will know them. Go through their threads and you will be
amazed that they want to talk of Nigeria's problems. solving a problem begins with understanding the mindset. If you begin a contribution by seeing a contributor as inconsequential, you are sowing the seeds of  disagreement. Honestly, any person that has separatist inclinations is not part of this cavalry to reclaim Nigeria and the is not , definitely , the esteemed Achebe's worldview.

In this content, the Aloy-Emeka's of eastern Nigeria  have a condescending view of northern youths who , I can assure you stand ready ,willing and able to defend their rights and contribute, as always to the Nigerian project. When prejudiced minds begin to think that they are not competent to take their own decisions, i begin to wonder whether the rabid and pathological  prejudice \mr \emeka has for northerners  is predicated on certain experiences/ events  which he  may no necessarily  have been a player /beneficiary or whatever but only got to know by rote, meaning that it was repeatedly knocked into his brain until it became a phobia. I do not know which book or school or university  these Emeka's  have gone to that northerners have not gone to, with the exception of you know where-- I cannot
recall if the shortlived Biafra had any ideological school or if the affair had an ideology, for that matter.

Mr. Aloys contributions portray a little knowledge of northern society or at best putrid mischief and any attempt at solving our problems must start from a mutually accepted platform. On this premise, we have a problem of failed leadership. One way or the other, leadership is not conducted in a vacuum.We are all occupying this political space in which milieu, social and economic activities  are conducted to the mutual benefit of all. Granted the president is from the north but the ruling party has its tentacles all over the country and the big god fathers are from where? These mandarins are in a mad rush to grab and their greed knows not tribe/tongue/region. Some tussles turn into fratricide- Anambra? , Ekiti>, Oyo? Bauchi? all over . We all have representatives in the assemblies and they do not come from the north only. So what is the  big deal, your own rep is in Abuja and has failed to defend your interest  or succumbed to lucre!!!!! In summary, we are the architects of our misfortune and we turn round to blame others.

It is therefore not right to polarise the interests of the poor and needy into any mindset or religion. You are poor, period. When you assume the knpw all stride and tell us you know us more that we know ourselves, you have crossed the bar. Why did you not make yourself president and then excise Biafra and go away?

Let us listen to reasonable people like Dr. Achebe who have seen it all and let us  begin the process of reclaiming Nigeria. Let people do shariah as they deem fit. If yor miindset is honed towards making money or worldly wealth  at all costs, be assured that the law is waiting if you are in default. This is because the first step toward reclaiming this country is to make sure the law works and you will be the best guinea pig - the revolution will consume its child.

Finally, I reject , and vehemently too, any attempt whatsover to subject any Nigerian to  contempt because of his religion or region. We or our forebears created this problems, our compatriots are compounding themm and it is our manifest destiny to find solutions if not today , tomorrow and leave the rest for our children, I refuse to disrespect any Nigerian because every person has his good side
and I will need him one way or the other to move on. You are first of all a human being before anything else.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AloyEmeka6: 6:55pm On Oct 21, 2009
citizenY:

@mike oscar
Now Please if there is anybody out there who understansds our culture and the mentality of our government and can advise on a strategy/strategies then let's hear them and we can start building up, prayerfully, Tactically, Wisely(we need to engage key stakeholders who can galvanise the populace based on a common platform), we can use the local and international media, the NGOs, Activist etc but it's got to be pretty well organised, articulated and well orchestrated. oh  and non -violent too. Now, I believe there even better ideas on this forum that what I have suggested but we can get opinions together as  A TEAM  agree on the best way to present our case.
I believe there are lot's of people on ground who are also fed-up with the way our succesive regimes have run our country.

This is the way foward. In the same vein, I want to add that a lot of guys need to be weaned from their mindset( arrogance, ignorance and prejudice). The y know themselves , so there is no need
mentioning names. If you just go through this thread and you see the guys deliberately shifting this thread to prejudiced zones, you will know them. Go through their threads and you will be
amazed that they want to talk of Nigeria's problems. solving a problem begins with understanding the mindset. If you begin a contribution by seeing a contributor as inconsequential, you are sowing the seeds of  disagreement. Honestly, any person that has separatist inclinations is not part of this cavalry to reclaim Nigeria and the is not , definitely , the esteemed Achebe's worldview.

In this content, the Aloy-Emeka's of eastern Nigeria  have a condescending view of northern youths who , I can assure you stand ready ,willing and able to defend their rights and contribute, as always to the Nigerian project. When prejudiced minds begin to think that they are not competent to take their own decisions, i begin to wonder whether the rabid and pathological  prejudice \mr \emeka has for northerners  is predicated on certain experiences/ events  which he  may no necessarily  have been a player /beneficiary or whatever but only got to know by rote, meaning that it was repeatedly knocked into his brain until it became a phobia. I do not know which book or school or university  these Emeka's  have gone to that northerners have not gone to, with the exception of you know where-- I cannot
recall if the shortlived Biafra had any ideological school or if the affair had an ideology, for that matter.

Mr. Aloys contributions portray a little knowledge of northern society or at best putrid mischief and any attempt at solving our problems must start from a mutually accepted platform. On this premise, we have a problem of failed leadership. One way or the other, leadership is not conducted in a vacuum.We are all occupying this political space in which milieu, social and economic activities  are conducted to the mutual benefit of all. Granted the president is from the north but the ruling party has its tentacles all over the country and the big god fathers are from where? These mandarins are in a mad rush to grab and their greed knows not tribe/tongue/region. Some tussles turn into fratricide- Anambra? , Ekiti>, Oyo? Bauchi? all over . We all have representatives in the assemblies and they do not come from the north only. So what is the  big deal, your own rep is in Abuja and has failed to defend your interest  or succumbed to lucre!!!!! In summary, we are the architects of our misfortune and we turn round to blame others.

It is therefore not right to polarise the interests of the poor and needy into any mindset or religion. You are poor, period. When you assume the knpw all stride and tell us you know us more that we know ourselves, you have crossed the bar. Why did you not make yourself president and then excise Biafra and go away?

Let us listen to reasonable people like Dr. Achebe who have seen it all and let us  begin the process of reclaiming Nigeria. Let people do shariah as they deem fit. If yor miindset is honed towards making money or worldly wealth  at all costs, be assured that the law is waiting if you are in default. This is because the first step toward reclaiming this country is to make sure the law works and you will be the best guinea pig - the revolution will consume its child.

Finally, I reject , and vehemently too, any attempt whatsover to subject any Nigerian to  contempt because of his religion or region. We or our forebears created this problems, our compatriots are compounding themm and it is our manifest destiny to find solutions if not today , tomorrow and leave the rest for our children, I refuse to disrespect any Nigerian because every person has his good side
and I will need him one way or the other to move on. You are first of all a human being before anything else.

You can deny the truth for all I care. Obviously, you are alien to the Nigerian society and are yet to read the street suggestion from the North when Obasanjo was battling the sharia cause. I read and followed that story to its entirety and majority of them have been brainwashed to believe that sharia will bring manna from heaven.

Religion also have a big effect in the east and south south, if you don't know. The only difference is that they neither impose it on others nor do they believe that it will bring development and eradicate bad governance. Go back in history and read Abati's letters written during the earlier days of Obasanjo's regime and judge for yourself.  I do not fall into the league that believes that northerners are slowpoke lest you misunderstand me but I do not believe that majority of the southern youths share the same vision with majority of the Northern youths and religion is the only factor that brought this influence and not tribal anarchy.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by NIGboi(m): 7:30pm On Oct 21, 2009
first off, I don't think anyone who stays outside Nigeria can fully appreciate the depth of decay in the Nigerian system. yes, you might understand the problems from listening to the news, talking with people and so on, but to really appreciate the problems the average Nigerian faces each day, you have to experience it first hand.

Pasakosa1 has been making comments that keep me wondering "who on planet earth is he?" Seems to me he is one of those folks who are benefiting from the disorder in Nigeria. I don't see why someone should keep on posting comments that offer no solution to the Nigerian problem. he only seems bent on criticising what people say and to me that is a bold sign that he might be a coward probably enjoying the disorder. revolutions are not a one day thing, they start somewhere, gradually gain momentum and one day change definitely has to come. but it has to start from somewhere Mr. pasakosa1.

The change we are all looking for has to start from somewhere, if we all effect change no matter how small wherever we are the cumulative effect will definitely cause a change of guard. but it has to start somewhere. can be a protest march, anything that will bring people who want change together
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 8:43pm On Oct 21, 2009
N.I.Gboi:

keep me wondering "who on planet earth is he?" Seems to me he is one of those folks who are benefiting from the disorder in Nigeria.

Nigeria is a complex country. Only until someone understands the extent and enormorsity of this complexity can they properly profer a solution. I wouldnt' even mind donating to such cause. BUT most people here are just whining.

We benefit simply because of who we know, others call it the favor of god. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Rosabelle(f): 9:01pm On Oct 21, 2009
Quote from Kobojunkie
By the way, Your AGREEING with @ROSE actually is reason why I am of the mind that you BLAME THE WEST as well. Posting that you do and then BACKING OFF of it does not change things.
I NEVER said the west was our problem.
Before you write and attack, read first, I beg you. It was NEVER mentioned in any of my posts. Go back and read
Mr. Posakosa1 had written a lot about the stakeholders (eg corporations) who would not want Nigeria to mvoe forward cos they benefit from our state of confusion. And I was replying to him when I made my comment about the oil companies.
Dont talk if you have not read. I notice you do this a lot and its really becoming annoying cos its difficult to hold a normal discussion on a thread with you and your lousy comments and so called contributions!
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by dwizard: 9:12pm On Oct 21, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

Nigeria is a complex country. Only until someone understands the extent and enormorsity of this complexity can they properly profer a solution. I wouldnt' even mind donating to such cause. BUT most people here are just whining.

where are you?how do you suggest we get to 'understand the extent and enormorsity of this comlexity'? give us some ideas and stop making noise. u cant just understand something by seating and looking at it. you've got to act. everybody who is a Nigerian (even a kid) knows that Nigeria is complex.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 9:17pm On Oct 21, 2009
^^^^^^^^^ and you what have you done ?

You are very stupid, so even if a child knows Nigeria is complex and in understanding the concept what exactly have you or has that kid done ?

shat ap dia. You dont' know what u're talking about. I speak of complexity in context of change, you Arrow.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 9:18pm On Oct 21, 2009
I live in Ajegunle.

Im in paris on Friday, London saturday, switzerland on sunday, then Im back to somewhere.

how does where im located affect ur blood pressure /
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by 9ja4eva: 9:30pm On Oct 21, 2009
Rosabelle (f) Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country
« #19 on: Today at 01:05:19 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The solution for Nigeria is for the churches to be taxed. Every garrage is now a church where people are being promised miracles from God. Its is all a lie. It is the biggest deception and greatest scam in Nigeria. The church!
Tax these churches and you'l see how they'l reduce.

People are being decieved into thinking they can pray and nigeria will be better. It is a lie.
The less churches we have and the less religious we are, the clearer people will think. If you reduce the churches, people will start to ask questions from their government and not from God. They will go to their local government charimans house to ask why they dont have NEPA instead of going to 5pm mass and 7pm prayer meeting. (You can pray in your house with your family you know).
They will stop praying that a messiah be sent down to erradicate corruption. The corruption they themselves are only too happy to encourage.

Prayer without action is nothing.

A good 75% of those churches are visited by the people in power and the pastors dont make the leaders responsible for their actions. And this only happens because everyone has been bribed into silence.
I am a great believer. I am a christian. But the churches in Nigeria are too many. Too many.

If the church joined in in the education of the masses, if the church encouraged the people to go out to the streets and talk until they are heard, if the churches would encourage its members to create a revolution of dialogue in their various fields of work, Nigeria will be better.
But with the way the church of today abuses its hold on the people by making them believe the more they put down for offering and the more they come to church, the more they shall be blessed . . . . . well then, Nigeria is in for it.

TRUE TALK.

Nigeria go ever move forward so?Instead of the youths on this board to take Achebe's message as a call to action dem dey blame Ribadu here n dere

2011 we all have to vote for a credible leader and protect our votes.We should start the campaign of " SAY NO TO PDP.
If we all come together to do the right thing we will positively push PDP out of power.Lets GET TO WORK.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 9:33pm On Oct 21, 2009
Everyone has a different idea of what change is and what change means, until there is a cohesive decision/goal of what we intend change achieves, not much will change.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On Oct 21, 2009
Rosabelle:

wink

Corporations here or there. Stakeholders here or there. IF . . . .and I say IF in capital letters. IF nigerians decide today that our government work for us and no longer for Americans, it will happen.
Maybe not overnight. ANd maybe not to 90%. But a good 50% will do.
Its OUR country and OUR government.
And we have it in our hands and with our mouths to make that change.
I de go!

IN RESPONSE . . . . .

Kobojunkie:

@Rosabelle, you actually believe your government works for America?? Roflmao!!!! grin grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy
The joke of the century!!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin

Rosabelle:

Who owns Chevron??
Not only do they work for the Americans. They also work for the french and the dutch . . . who owns Mobil??or Shell Petroleum
You laugh?
Have you been to Warri? Are you aware that and good 98% of Nigerias revenue is from the Delta??
You laugh?
Are you aware the bridges in Lagos and the city of Abuja (to name a few) were built from the money made by the Americans and dutch?
You laugh?  ? ? ? ? ?

Mr Posakosa spoke of the shareholders who wont allow a change in a developing nation like ours and thats what I was answering to. The corporate organisations who'd want the nation to stay in its present state for their own schemes.
Thats what Im refering to. So dont laugh until youve been to Ijaw and Itsekiri land. Dont laugh if you dont know.
And YES. The big American corporations  have a great stake in making sure A LOT of developing nations like ours dont move forward!
Its not a laughing matter.

IN RESPONSE . . . .

Kobojunkie:

The way you conspiracy theorists draw your conclusions never seizes to amaze me. Did you also research what portions of the mentioned companies your own government controls? That loans were obtained to build brigdes from particular countries who were at least willing to give the loans means your country WORKS for those countries? That, according to you, 98% of the revenue generated in Nigeria is from the delta is reason why Nigeria works for America So when the deal to sell these companies to the chinese works out, then you will change your tune to "NIGERIA IS WORKING FOR CHINA"? *** SHUDDERS****
and ***SHUDDERS *** AGAIN.

You really are a joker and this is definitely the joke of the century!!! Roflmao!!! grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin

Rosabelle:

Ou forefathers sold our right to our oil and our land to the white man ages ago for mirrors and powder and fine wrappers. Today, people cannot fish in their waters or plant crops in their backyards liek they used to. Or plant herbs that heal their ailments.
Their land is GONE. Sold to white men, whom our government has refused to call to book.
So WHO tell me, Mr Kobojunkie is our government working for? WHO?
Its our country and an interested government would have long since revoked those rights of land, or demanded a clear-up of the spillage going on.
Dont laugh.
I know what Im talking about and Ive see people suffer in a country full of wealth!

Rosabelle:

And I shudder at you cos you contradict yourself.
Answer me please. WHO IS THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT WORKING FOR?

Since I said they work for the french and the americans and the dutch and you laughed. Who then are they workign for?

IN RESPONSE . . .

Kobojunkie:

It does not take an slowpoke to figure out by now that the government is currently NOT WORKING but pushing the enrich the pockets of the many individuals in government. How many millionaires have been made in the last decade in that country? thousands. How many billionaires? We have quite some and the number if growing right there in Nigeria. To see that you have a corrupt system that continues to allow LOOTERS( as in thieves who steal money over and over) and then ask who the government is WORKING FOR makes me wonder if you have an inkling of what the problem Achebe is speaking of here really is. Do you even know what the problem is with our system at all??

Coming up with disconnected logic such as the one you have posted there only tells me you have little grasp on reality of the situation down in Nigeria, let alone the world around you. How can you keep blaming the man who comes to buy fish( he does not even live there with you) for the stench that continues to consume your house, and surroundings? How can you blame him for the fact that you choose to paint your wall with faeces, and complain all day of how it stinks? How can you continue to blame your neighbour for your choice to live in filth day and night??

***Shudders*** in disgust!

@Rosabelle, after reading all that, are you sure  you did not in anyway play the usual BLAME THE WEST CARD at all today?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by asha80(m): 9:57pm On Oct 21, 2009
Quoting Ruben Abati

"Nigeria is ruled by incompetent people,the people are complex and the country itself is a quetion mark"
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by ladi02(m): 10:04pm On Oct 21, 2009
Nigerian youths have lost the mind that the Country belongs to them, this is a call from the wise, what shall we do??

Keep watching and ignore??

OR

Come together and start rebuilding
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by fekwenugo2: 10:55pm On Oct 21, 2009
Nobody seems 2 be offering a solution.Am nt ready 2 head 2 d street.Who do i confront? To reclaim kini?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 11:03pm On Oct 21, 2009
fekwenugo2:

Nobody seems 2 be offering a solution.Am nt ready 2 head 2 d street.Who do i confront? To reclaim kini?

Achebe gave you the solution and you are still asking for a solution? It is probably best that you do not worry about this then IF it is still HARD to grasp.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 11:07pm On Oct 21, 2009
Kobojunkie, I am still awaiting a response to my earlier post,
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by udezue(m): 11:37pm On Oct 21, 2009
The Eastern youths, southerners can start by reclaiming Biafra jare cheesy
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by mg4real: 11:51pm On Oct 21, 2009
hey alloy in respect to question i think he got every thing to do with that cos he was a former boss think about that.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AloyEmeka6: 12:10am On Oct 22, 2009
When slum-based youths mobilise to change their destiny
By Jude Njoku
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Amukoko, Orile Iganmu, Badia and Ajegunle are unarguably some of the worst slum settlements in Lagos. Residents of these ghettos live under terrible sanitary conditions. The drainage channels are usually blocked with heaps of refuse which cause flooding at the slightest downpour.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/21/vanguard/images/slumhabitat1[1].jpg[/img]

•The Mosafejo - Alafia-Bus stop Road, One of the roads the youths want fixed

These ghettos provide a good hide-out for criminals while the death toll caused by water-borne diseases, is usually very high. Life in a typical Lagos slum means different things to different residents depending on the social divide they belong to.

But some youths who were born and raised up in these slums have vowed not to allow their environmental upbringing affect their destiny. These youths numbering over 600 met at Memak School hall in Amukoko to chart a new course for their future.

Gathering under the umbrella of Africa Minds International, a non-governmental organisation (NGO), the youths said they would not allow their disadvantaged environment and upbringing to stop them from attaining the lofty heights they have set for themselves. To them, change is possible, which explains why they chose “change is possible” as the theme of the one-day event.

Their leader, Mr Victor Okoro decried the level of environmental decay in the slummy neighbourhoods and restated the commitment of the group to discourage and minimise the rate of crime and drug abuse in the ghettos.

Speaking specifically on the theme of the sensitisation crusade tagged, “Naija 2009?, Mr Okoro told the youths that charity begins at home, hence they should start by changing the negative things about their lives which constitute a nuisance to the larger society. According to him, change can only occur when individuals embark upon personal development.

“The much talked about change starts from personal development, the earlier youths from this community detach themselves from being used by politicians to achieve their selfish interests, the better for all of us,” he said and advised politicians to champion the cause of the people who elected them into office instead of enriching themselves at the expense of providing social amenities to the area.

Mr Okoro who stated that building a viable and conducive community is the collective responsibility of all residents of the area, enjoined politicians and religious leaders to educate and embark upon programmes that would empower their members.

Another youth, Mr. Akinyemi Akinwuntan who presides over a group called “Achievers Class” charged the youths not to be deterred by their present status but to set high standards for themselves.

With determination and purpose, he said, the sky would be their limit. The fact that they were born of poor parentage, he explained, does not imply that they are poor intellectually, explaining that some youths in the area have excelled in various fields of human endeavour.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/21/vanguard/images/slumboys[1].jpg[/img]
Some of the youth leaders
The youths called on the State government and Ajeromi/Ifelodun local government area to fix the roads in the communities. Of great interest to them are the Alafia Amukoko – Mosafejo Market Road and the Oja Amukoko -Alafia Bus-stop Road.

Mr Okoro told Vanguard Metro that Africa Minds International is an NGO that is propelled by youths with a desire to “effect change in every community where we reside. We want to assist youths in our community to attain high levels of academic and moral standards; we want to empower them to acquire skills, handiwork or trade that will help them later in life”.

It would be recalled that in 1983, the Lagos State Government with the support of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), identified 42 slums or blighted areas covering about 1,622 hectares of land in the metropolis. By 1995, the figure had risen to about 60 and today, Lagos is said to have over 100 blighted areas.

In a bid to give the residents of these slummy neighbourhoods a new lease of life, the World Bank introduced the Community Infrastructure Upgrading Programme under which nine blighted areas with an estimated population of 569,597 persons were recommended for a priority upgrading programme.

The communities included Ajegunle and Amukoko in the Ajeromi/Ifelodun Local government area, Iwaya and Makoko in the Yaba area of mainland Lagos, Ilaje and Bariga in the Shomolu area, Agege, and Ijeshatedo/Itire in the Mushin Local Government Area. Olojowon in Badia was used as the pilot scheme.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/21/314.html
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by asunaobi(m): 1:09am On Oct 22, 2009
9ja4eva:

Rosabelle (f) Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country
« #19 on: Today at 01:05:19 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The solution for Nigeria is for the churches to be taxed. Every garrage is now a church where people are being promised miracles from God. Its is all a lie. It is the biggest deception and greatest scam in Nigeria. The church!
Tax these churches and you'l see how they'l reduce.

People are being decieved into thinking they can pray and nigeria will be better. It is a lie.
The less churches we have and the less religious we are, the clearer people will think. If you reduce the churches, people will start to ask questions from their government and not from God. They will go to their local government charimans house to ask why they dont have NEPA instead of going to 5pm mass and 7pm prayer meeting. (You can pray in your house with your family you know).
They will stop praying that a messiah be sent down to erradicate corruption. The corruption they themselves are only too happy to encourage.

Prayer without action is nothing.

A good 75% of those churches are visited by the people in power and the pastors dont make the leaders responsible for their actions. And this only happens because everyone has been bribed into silence.
I am a great believer. I am a christian. But the churches in Nigeria are too many. Too many.

If the church joined in in the education of the masses, if the church encouraged the people to go out to the streets and talk until they are heard, if the churches would encourage its members to create a revolution of dialogue in their various fields of work, Nigeria will be better.
But with the way the church of today abuses its hold on the people by making them believe the more they put down for offering and the more they come to church, the more they shall be blessed . . . . . well then, Nigeria is in for it.

TRUE TALK.

Nigeria go ever move forward so?Instead of the youths on this board to take Achebe's message as a call to action dem dey blame Ribadu here n dere

2011 we all have to vote for a credible leader and protect our votes.We should start the campaign of " SAY NO TO PDP.
If we all come together to do the right thing we will positively push PDP out of power.Lets GET TO WORK.

Damn right! VERY BIG THANK YOU FOR THE PERSON WHO EVER THOUGHT OF IT BEFORE THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS WEB SITE. NOW WELL CULTURED, DECENT AND VERY CRITICAL THINKING  NIGERIANS CAN COMMUNICATE AND SHARE IDEAS. TO ME,  THIS IS IT! THE BEGINNING OF THE CHANGE WE ARE ALL HOPING FOR.

To Chinua Achebe, thank you so much for your suggestion Sir, there are some element of truth in what you said but I dont think personally that that can work right now. Nigerian youths lack the cohesiveness in other to make that work. We have been totally disoriented by tribal sentiments and religious brain wash. What Ghana is enjoying today was not started by Ghanaian youths. It was done by one single good individual who saw the opportunity, took it, used it very well and laid the strong foundation upon which Ghana is building its strong economic house today. WELL DONE! JERRY RAWLINGS.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by vislabraye(m): 3:04am On Oct 22, 2009
All thanks to the older generation. Many of them are dead and/or dying and the only legacy they have left us with is this gabbage of a nation. But what else can we do? We have to fight for this nation. But are we united? Take Ghana for example; they took their destiny into their own hands and killed their corrupt leaders. Nigerians are always saying "one day e go better", I hope this does not turn out to be a mirage.

If PFN and other religious bodies can unite with one voice and challenge this government, I feel they would listen. But most of our corrupt leaders have very good rapport with the pastors
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AloyEmeka6: 4:18am On Oct 22, 2009
What will taxing the church do for Nigeria?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 4:25am On Oct 22, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

I don't know either.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by avignon: 5:06am On Oct 22, 2009
Fela coined the word Demo-Crazy from democracy,  he said it was a [b]demo[/b]nstration of [b]crazi[/b]ness,  and that's exactly what we need to do, because our leaders want to drive us to insanity.

The time for a peaceful demonstrations can start now. When better than with the eyes of the world squarely on Nigeria during the U-17 World Cup? It's the best chance for an international audience, and we know our leaders will be watching as well. So maybe some of us who will be attending the games can have some banners  that say "Light Up Nigeria!",  or "No to Corruption!" and just any other message that we want heard. It can be a constant message all through the tournament across the various stadiums nationwide. Football brings people together and it will bring the world's media to Nigeria for a few weeks, let's take advantage of it in a peaceful and manner and let our voices be heard. We are all frustrated with the sad state of affairs, and the truth is that it has gotten worse year after year. If we truly believe in Nigeria, then we really need to unite with one voice and say what we feel loud and clear. We can show the world that there's so much more to us than they chose to portray in their media and communicate to our leaders as well.

Chinua Achebe told us that Things Fall Apart, and since that day till right now Nigeria has been falling apart. Let's try and put her back together before it's too late. This is an opportunity we can't afford to miss.

Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by asunaobi(m): 5:21am On Oct 22, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

If I have my way I will go far beyond taxing the churches. I will hand over churches to states and stop individuals or companies from owning churches. My reason being, so that when people like Aloy-Emeka go and pay their 10% tithe to God, the money will go to that state and will be used indirectly to build central sewage system, refuse recycling plant, construct and maintain roads, maintain security, train local manpower for on going maintenance of state projects etc. And my brother Aloy can then kneel down and pray to God and say! THANK YOU GOD FOR ANSWERING ALL MY PRAYERS, MY 10% TITHE IS REALLY WORKING.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AloyEmeka6: 5:25am On Oct 22, 2009
asunaobi:

If I have my way I will go far beyond taxing the churches. I will hand over churches to states and stop individuals or companies from owning churches. My reason being, so that when people like Aloy-Emeka go and pay their 10% tithe to God, the money will go to that state and will be used indirectly to build central sewage system, refuse recycling plant, construct and maintain roads, maintain security, train local manpower for on going maintenance of state projects etc. And my brother Aloy can then kneel down and pray to God and say! THANK YOU GOD FOR ANSWERING ALL MY PRAYERS, MY 10% TITHE IS REALLY WORKING.

Are you related to Kim Jon IL?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by maree7(f): 6:25am On Oct 22, 2009
an Idea :

Education is mandatory. . .  "My people die from the lack of knowledge" -God

Educate the youth. . .

I was fortunate to have taken the last jamb. . .Yes i Said fortunate. . . . because I actually learned something from an article on the English section of the exam.

It was about providing education through the media. . . especially through the radio. . . for those who do not have enough finances to go to school.

Not a bad idea if u think about it,

If we desire change we shud not be interested in Talk alone . . . but action which takes sacrifice. .

WE NEED PASSIONATE PEOPLE
WE NEED VISION FILLED PEOPLE
WE NEED PEOPLE WHO ARE READY TO BURY "SELF" AND CARE FOR THEIR NEIGHBOR

it's in each and everyone of us. . . if we really desire change
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Rosabelle(f): 7:01am On Oct 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

IN RESPONSE . . . . .
IN RESPONSE . . . .
IN RESPONSE . . .
@Rosabelle, after reading all that, are you sure you did not in anyway play the usual BLAME THE WEST CARD at all today?
So of ALLLLL I wrote, the only thing you could pick out was that I was blaming the west? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Why didnt you insert Mr Posakosa1's comments BEFORE my reply to him? ? ? ?
[b]I was RESPONDING to what he wrote and you jumped into a conversation that had NOTHING to do wth what YOU were saying and then you now imply things that werent said undecided My response was to Posakosa1. And I was letting him know it doesnt matter how many stakeholders there are, it is our government we have to hold responsible, not the stakeholders![/b]Im sorry oh, but youre lost. Lost! sad
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 8:13am On Oct 22, 2009
@Rosabelle, I read @posakosa's posts and yours.

@Posakosa is NOT The one who claimed our government was working for America and the dutch. @Posakosa, is not the one who claimed most of the companies in Nigeria, companies that control about 98% of the country's revenue, were controllled by the WEST. You claimed the country is the way it is because it is to the interest of the west. You made those claims. So, why are you now telling me @Posakosa had a hand in it?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 8:19am On Oct 22, 2009
asunaobi:

I am not sure I understand what taxing Tithe has to do with STANDING UP FOR ONE’S RIGHT. What will you advocate for next? We Task every spoon of food that goes in the mouth of every Nigeria so the next time they put food in their mouths, the money will go to that state and will be used directly to build sewage systems to handle the waste that will eventually be manufactured?

All I read here is more EXCUSES for why we ought not to stand up and do the right thing. I have been watching the trend on here for years now and it is safe to see that we are willing to CONJURE UP any silly reason out there to get us NOT to do the necessary HARDWORK required of us as a nation to move forward. What has the church to do with almost 50 years of decay? Mind you, the church only became real popular in the last 10 years or so. Are you now going to blame these churches for the decay of the 40 years prior?

Abegi!! Can we please stop trying to deflect from the call here? We are told to STAND UP FOR OUR RIGHTS/RECLAIM WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY OURS. Is the church the one stealing the basic amenities that belong to you and your children daily? Can we please FOCUS?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by KnowAll(m): 8:23am On Oct 22, 2009
Which youths are we talking about here, we get youths for this country, oh I see youth wey never chop bellaful na im go criticise govt, I think I wrote something about our youths ages ago I think I will dig it out and refresh our fading memories.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Naira Scarcity: Tinubu Asks Youths To Not Engage In "Destructive Protests" / Tonye Cole Dropped As Minister / Before I Join Nigeria Politics As A Lady: Please Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.