Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,567 members, 7,816,388 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country (7267 Views)

Excitement In Borno As Troops Reclaim Gudumbari / 90% Of Boko Haram Are Foreigners,northern Youths Rise Up And Protect Your Land / Youths Rise Up N Fight For Your Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AloyEmeka6: 4:43pm On Oct 21, 2009
It will be very difiicult for revolution to to come to Nigeria, why?:

The southern and Northern youths do not share the same vision. While the southern youths typically want to revitalize their living condition, the northern youths wish for a sharia controlled state. If they have been programmed to believe that sharia will better their society, there is nothing you can do about it. The oligarchs will continue to reap from our anarchy.

If we have a uniform message which is change in governance, it may be easier to achieve.

Secondly, Achebe and co needs to apologize to the younger generation for failing them. It was his generation who messed up Nigeria and expect us to clean it up. They need to own up to their failures and apologize to the younger generation for allowing the military mess up Nigeria.

We also need to have a plan on how to achieve this feat. A plan spear headed by feisty journalists who can stand the test of time and not cowards who will run at the heat of the battle.

I repeat, our plan and mission must be uniform. If the Southern youths agitate for one thing and the Northern youths agitate for another, smart criminals like Ibori can take advantage of that misunderstanding and strike back.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AloyEmeka6: 4:58pm On Oct 21, 2009
AfroCynic:

I think Kobojunkie has been well and truly spanked! Did you like it dude? [b]Nigeria might not be working for these nation per se but the disfunction and near collapse of the country is beneficia[/b]l to the multi nationals as well as the ruling class, you cannot deny this,

How is it their problem that your malaria made them sell more malaria drugs and become richer?. It is your responsibility to take care of your business. You guys should stop looking for who to blame for our problems. We shit and jumped into the shit by our ourselves.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 5:04pm On Oct 21, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

How is it their problem that your malaria made them sell more malaria drugs and become richer?. It is your responsibility to take care of your business. You guys should stop looking for who to blame for our problems. We shit and jumped into the shit by our ourselves.

Stop inferring things that are not there, I do not blame the multinational or their countries for our woes. After all our leader created an enabling environment where they are allowed to do as they are wont to do, But, this does not obfuscate the fact they prefer the disorder.

Nigeria is not set up to benefit its everyday citizens, the scales are tipped heavily in favour of the 'microscopic few' who have 'piloted the affairs of the nation' since independence, okay? Until we decide 'enough is enough' the status quo will remain. I am tired of talking about, I need some action now,
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 5:10pm On Oct 21, 2009
AfroCynic:

Stop inferring things that are not there, I do not blame the multinational or their countries for our woes. After all our leader created an enabling environment where they are allowed to do as they are wont to do, But, this does not obfuscate the fact they prefer the disorder.

THEY prefer the disorder or YOU do? Considering that the same multinationals have had to fork over almost 2 TRILLION Dollars to Africa in the last 40 years or so. Are you sure one cannot put forth the same[b] BLIND ARGUMENT[/b] that you have so far, to support the claim that YOU prefer the disorder because YOU have through the disorder been able to get away with that much money without even lifting a finger to take responsibility for your own destiny in all that time?

AfroCynic:
Nigeria is not set up to benefit its everyday citizens, the scales are tipped heavily in favour of the 'microscopic few' who have 'piloted the affairs of the nation' since independence, okay? Until we decide 'enough is enough' the status quo will remain. I am tired of talking about, I need some action now,

Oh!!! Isn't it a shame in itself to state the above? that 140 million people with arms and legs complete on the most part and brains to go with it can continue to live as cowards while your microscopic few continues to enrich themselves. What you come on here to post instead is that the STRANGERS are to blame for it. Have you no shame??
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by mikeoscar: 5:15pm On Oct 21, 2009
Really, I still wonder why almost every post on NL degenerates into un-healthy debates and worse of all the way a topic  so quickly takes a detour and re-evolves as an ego flexing, finger pointing and  name calling thread beats me. Can't we simple disagree and state why we disagree with others without being cynical or abusive. I see people just shooting down other people's opinion and not bringing anything to the table. There are many of us just reading and thinking how we can also contribute to a good suggestion but when it degenerates into "gang fights" on NL it waters down the whole thing. If we don't stay on track we get lost.

Now Please if there is anybody out there who understansds our culture and the mentality of our government and can advise on a strategy/strategies then let's hear them and we can start building up, prayerfully, Tactically, Wisely(we need to engage key stakeholders who can galvanise the populace based on a common platform), we can use the local and international media, the NGOs, Activist etc but it's got to be pretty well organised, articulated and well orchestrated. oh  and non -violent too. Now, I believe there even better ideas on this forum that what I have suggested but we can get opinions together as  A TEAM  agree on the best way to present our case.
I believe there are lot's of people on ground who are also fed-up with the way our succesive regimes have run our country.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 5:17pm On Oct 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

THEY prefer the disorder or YOU do? Considering that the same multinationals have had to fork over almost 2 TRILLION Dollars to Africa in the last 40 years or so. Are you sure one cannot put forth the same[b] BLIND ARGUMENT[/b] that you have so far, to support the claim that YOU prefer the disorder because YOU have through the disorder been able to get away with that much money without even lifting a finger to take responsibility for your own destiny in all that time?

Oh!!! Isn't it a shame in itself to state the above? that 140 million people with arms and legs complete on the most part and brains to go with it can continue to live as cowards while your microscopic few continues to enrich themselves. What you come on here to post instead is that the STRANGERS are to blame for it. Have you no shame??

I am satisfied now that you have a problem comprehending ideas and statements that are not spelt out to you like a kindergarten pickin, so I rest my case where you're concerned.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 5:20pm On Oct 21, 2009
mike oscar:

Really, I still wonder why almost every post on NL degenerates into un-healthy debates and worse of all the way a topic  so quickly takes a detour and re-evolves as an ego flexing, finger pointing and  name calling thread beats me. Can't we simple disagree and state why we disagree with others without being cynical or abusive. I see people just shooting down other people's opinion and not bringing anything to the table. There are many of us just reading and thinking how we can also contribute to a good suggestion but when it degenerates into "gang fights" on NL it waters down the who thing. If we don't stay on track we get lost.

Now Please if there is anybody out there who understansds our culture and the mentality of our government and can advise on a strategy/strategies then let's hear them and we can start building up, prayerfully, Tactically, Wisely(we need to engage key stakeholders who can galvanise the populace based on a common platform), we can use the local and international media, the NGOs, Activist etc but it's got to be pretty well organised, articulated and well orchestrated. oh  and non -violent too. Now, I believe there even better ideas on this forum that what I have suggested but we can get opinions together as  A TEAM  agree on the best way to present our case.
I believe there are lot's of people on ground who are also fed-up with the way our succesive regimes have run our country.

Thank you jare, That is what I was hoping for too. I am thinking since the elections are pretty close, there needs to be a political wing on any youth movement. One that will not be allied with any political party, so that as well civil disobedience and marches, we can present our demands to the government and the media in a cohesive manner, We would also need to seek out some honest religious leaders,
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 5:21pm On Oct 21, 2009
AfroCynic:

I am satisfied now that you have a problem comprehending ideas and statements that are spelt out to you like a kindergarten pickin, so I rest my case where you're concerned.

And I am sure now that you feel THREATENED when your ideas are QUESTIONED. I posed QUESTIONS and this is what I get in response? lol

You were quick to conclude earlier that I had my butt sufficiently whooped by the other's conspiracy theories, but when I decided to question that logic, you jump into SUPER DEFENSIVE mode and you think I am the one with the problem comprehending IDEAS here lol
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by mrperfect(m): 5:24pm On Oct 21, 2009
God has solution to this.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 5:25pm On Oct 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

And I am sure now that you feel THREATENED when your ideas are QUESTIONED. I posed QUESTIONS and this is what I get in response? lol

The fact that you have to bold random words in your posts say a lot about you! Dude, I answered your question, you chose to ignore my answer and post a rant. You accused me of saying something you inferred from thin air, what is the point of the back and forth? I can see that we are on different comprehension levels, You dig?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 5:26pm On Oct 21, 2009
mrperfect:

God has solution to this.

So, do we just sit down and do nothing, while we wait for 'God' to descend from heaven and sort the mess out 'Himself'?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 5:30pm On Oct 21, 2009
AfroCynic:

The fact that you have to bold random words in your posts say a lot about you! Dude, I answered your question, you chose to ignore my answer and post a rant. You accused me of saying something you inferred from thin air, what is the point of the back and forth? I can see that we are on different comprehension levels, You dig?

Bold random words? Now I see you are also into NITPICKING for brownie points!

Ignore your answer? I responded to your answers by making sure to address your post PIECE by PIECE. What did I accuse you of? If you really believe I accused you falsely, speak up about what is it I got wrong rather than continuing this rambling for BROWNIE POINTS.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with different comprehension levels but the fact that even in this call to rise up, you are willing to deflect blame to others after almost 50 years of evidence to the fact that we have come to DEPEND on the rest of the world for our survival. Most every country, even cuba now puts money aside in each years budget for AFRICA -- yes, they are the babysitters of our dear continent and you sit here BLAMING them for what??

By the way, Your AGREEING with @ROSE actually is reason why I am of the mind that you BLAME THE WEST as well. Posting that you do and then BACKING OFF of it does not change things.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by naijaking1: 5:33pm On Oct 21, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

It will be very difiicult for revolution to to come to Nigeria, why?:

The southern and Northern youths do not share the same vision. While the southern youths typically want to revitalize their living condition, the northern youths wish for a sharia controlled state. If they have been programmed to believe that sharia will better their society, there is nothing you can do about it. The oligarchs will continue to reap from our anarchy.

If we have a uniform message which is change in governance, it may be easier to achieve.

Secondly, Achebe and co needs to apologize to the younger generation for failing them. It was his generation who messed up Nigeria and expect us to clean it up. They need to own up to their failures and apologize to the younger generation for allowing the military mess up Nigeria.

We also need to have a plan on how to achieve this feat. A plan spear headed by feisty journalists who can stand the test of time and not cowards who will run at the heat of the battle.

I repeat, our plan and mission must be uniform. If the Southern youths agitate for one thing and the Northern youths agitate for another, smart criminals like Ibori can take advantage of that misunderstanding and strike back.

Agree with you on this one
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Allta(m): 5:36pm On Oct 21, 2009
So in practical terms, what can we do to save our degenerating fatherland? Some sort of unification-of-ideology-and-vision exercise where the Northern youths get aligned or re-aligned with their Southern counterparts?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 5:37pm On Oct 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Bold random words? Now I see you are also into NITPICKING for brownie points!

Ignore your answer? I responded to your answers by making sure to address your post PIECE by PIECE. What did I accuse you of? If you really believe I accused you falsely, speak up about what is it I got wrong rather than continuing this rambling for BROWNIE POINTS.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with different comprehension levels but the fact that even in this call to rise up, you are willing to deflect blame to others after almost 50 years of evidence to the fact that we have come to DEPEND on the rest of the world for our survival. Most every country, even cuba now puts money aside in each years budget for AFRICA -- yes, they are the babysitters of our dear continent and you sit here BLAMING them for what??

By the way, Your AGREEING with @ROSE actually is reason why I am of the mind that you BLAME THE WEST as well. Posting that you do and then BACKING OFF of it does not change things.

You know, we can dead this back and forth right now, if you can kindly show me where it is I stated that the West was or is to blame for our current afflictions!
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 5:41pm On Oct 21, 2009
Allta:

So in practical terms, what can we do to save our degenerating fatherland? Some sort of unification-of-ideology-and-vision exercise where the Northern youths get aligned or re-aligned with their Southern counterparts?

You know, I am not convinced that Northern youth only want Sharia. You have to know that their so called leaders have witheld formal education from them as a way to stop them from asking the right kinds of questions. No one wants to have his life mapped out for him but a stranger, even the Quran advocates the constant quest for knowledge,

Southern youth are not much better, name one politician that we have held to account? How effective have we been in bring about change?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by beknown(m): 5:48pm On Oct 21, 2009
The youths of Nigeria can reclaim Nigeria if they say 'NO' to corruption.

The election season is near and many politicians employ youths as thugs. Are Nigerian youths only good for thuggery and gang formation?

Let Nigerian youths wake up from their sleep and face reality:

* Avoid all forms of inducement to engage in political thuggery to help corrupt politicians.
* Avoid politically motivated gangs and hired killers.
* Use your vote wisely.
* Encourage your parents and family members to use their vote wisely.
* Do not vote because you have been given a bag of rice, beans, salt, etc. Vote for your choice of candidate.
* Be ready to expose all forms of election malpractices - use digital cameras and videos to gather evidence. Let the youths use technology to the full to rescue Nigeria from decay.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 5:48pm On Oct 21, 2009
Allta:

We don't need to wait for the time when EVERYONE is able to sing KUMBAYA together for to stand up for change. You do not need to wait for the north or the south to start changing things. Look at Fashola. He did not wait for the North or the Federal Government to first get it's act together before he embarked on changing the status quo in Lagos. We need to take an example from that and push for change from right where we find ourselves.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by AfroCynic: 5:51pm On Oct 21, 2009
beknown:

The youths of Nigeria can reclaim Nigeria if they say 'NO' to corruption.

The election season is near and many politicians employ youths as thugs. Are Nigerian youths only good for thuggery and gang formation?

Let Nigerian youths wake up from their sleep and face reality:

* Avoid all forms of inducement to engage in political thuggery to help corrupt politicians.
* Avoid politically motivated gangs and hired killers.
* Use your vote wisely.
* Encourage your parents and family members to use their vote wisely.
* Do not vote because you have been given a bag of rice, beans, salt, etc. Vote for your choice of candidate.
* Be ready to expose all forms of election malpractices - use digital cameras and videos to gather evidence. Let the youths use technology to the full to rescue Nigeria from decay.

All these things, also be ready to defend your vote, There is no point voting if you cannot stand up and be counted if that vote is stolen.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by cvibe: 5:54pm On Oct 21, 2009
Easier said than done.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Allta(m): 5:55pm On Oct 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

We don't need to wait for the time when EVERYONE is able to sing KUMBAYA together for to stand up for change. You do not need to wait for the north or the south to start changing things. Look at Fashola. He did not wait for the North or the Federal Government to first get it's act together before he embarked on changing the status quo in Lagos. We need to take an example from that and push for change from right where we find ourselves.

So, what we need is a massive ripple effect of small bangs in Naija Politics. This means ,  1. people with like minds have to be in strategic positions to cause a change, and also,  2. They have to all put in their individual shifts/quotas to send a massive shock wave through the system.

So my question is, how can we achieve 1 and 2?
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by sowura(m): 6:00pm On Oct 21, 2009
Nigerians are bitter and rightly so, we cant continue to hide behind the anonimity of the internet to condemn the government, i work in the development sector and i know first hand how insensitive and rotten and oh absolutely clueless these so called leaders are. i think the best thing to do is for us to identify people with like minds and organise while putting in place effective systems that will spawn strategies that can be deployed to tackle this government by pu;;ing our resources together. i do not believe in violence for several reasons, some of which are as follows
violence is two expensive
success cant be achieved using violence as that is exactly what they will be expecting so they can get the opportunity to bombard, arrest and torture, which will then in turn create fear in the minds of other  people thereby paralysing them further
whatever you get using force or violence you will have to protect using force or violence, and that will just be a complete waste of time and resources
it is time for Nigerians to realise that the only true development is a collective development and not individual development. Chinua Achebe with due respect is not saying anything different from what the ordinary man on the street is saying, only difference coverage
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 6:06pm On Oct 21, 2009
sowura:

identify people with like minds and organize while putting in place effective systems that will spawn strategies that can be deployed to tackle this government by pulling our resources together.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 6:07pm On Oct 21, 2009
identify people with like minds and organize while putting in place effective systems that will spawn strategies that can be deployed to tackle this government by pulling our resources together.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by beknown(m): 6:08pm On Oct 21, 2009
If you talk STRATEGY to some Nigerian youths, they will not understand. This is why I think the best option is to come to local level and allow every youth to perform within their own immediate territory (home, work, community, etc).

Politicians do not engage in thuggery, they pay youths to do it.

If youths avoid all acts of corruption, the election malpractices will be 50% solved. No country has 100% election success but the closer to 100%, the better.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 6:10pm On Oct 21, 2009
sowura:

Chinua Achebe with due respect is not saying anything different from what the ordinary man on the street is saying, only difference coverage

Exactly!!
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by samstels: 6:11pm On Oct 21, 2009
Gents,
I think the simplest way to achieve this change is by doing the much we can in our own various little ways.

Let the change start from you and me ,in our homes ,offices ,market places ,churches ,car garages ,on the roads ,schools ,villages
etc.

If individually we show examples of good values and always do things right ,it wont take us time to get to the promised land.
Its all about sacrifices ,we might not live to see the gains but surely our children and future generations will.

Rise up nigerian youths ,the change is in our hands now ,Yes WE CAN.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 6:11pm On Oct 21, 2009
beknown:

If you talk STRATEGY to some Nigerian youths, they will not understand. This is why I think the best option is to come to local level and allow every youth to perform within their own immediate territory (home, work, community, etc).

Politicians do not engage in thuggery, they pay youths to do it.

If youths avoid all acts of corruption, the election malpractices will be 50% solved. No country has 100% election success but the closer to 100%, the better.

Good strategy is simple and relateable to people at ALL levels of society.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by Kobojunkie: 6:16pm On Oct 21, 2009
Allta:

So, what we need is a massive ripple effect of small bangs in Naija Politics. This means , 1. people with like minds have to be in strategic positions to cause a change, and also, 2. They have to all put in their individual shifts/quotas to send a massive shock wave through the system.

It is simple. By interfacing with likeminded individuals who are willing to pursue change to the last. We do not need an ELABORATE plan. We just need a FEW GOOD NIGERIANS who are willing to see this cause to the very end.
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by platinumnk(f): 6:17pm On Oct 21, 2009
when we are tired of eating crumbs we will move
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by POSAKOSA1(m): 6:20pm On Oct 21, 2009
Allta:

So, what we need is a massive ripple effect of small bangs in Naija Politics. This means ,  1. people with like minds have to be in strategic positions to cause a change, and also,  2. They have to all put in their individual shifts/quotas to send a massive shock wave through the system.

You have posed important questions. I think that effective dialogue can affect significant change.  You can't have scattered change agents within the system. There must be dialogue, collaboration, conversation, and partnerships.

No one or particular organization must be out for recognition but sees effectiveness in the masses and group mentality. An WE, vs. I
Re: Achebe To Nigerian Youths: Rise And Reclaim Your Country by debie101(m): 6:22pm On Oct 21, 2009
everybody as comment on this topic but i think we need to act fast and start to say enough is enough, all we need to achieve our contributions to make Nigeria Great  is UNITY,LOVE,TRUST, SINCERITY, COMMITMENT AND PRAYER FROM ALMIGHTY ALLAH, all this is in our hands and  with these to start i thing we will be hearding to a place before we arrive to our destination let start a peaceful and nonviolence march let stop arguing and start to plan how start something not only marching alone anybody around you doing what is not right let educate them and elite them to keep hope that 1day we ill get there and put a correction to there bad act. i will be here to support and put my own best GOD BLESS MY NIGERIAN, GOD BLESS NIGERIA, GOD BLESS AFRICA  AN THE WHOLE CONTINENT AMEN

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ezekwesili Got It Wrong! By Labaran Maku / NNAMDI KANU Aided By Mossad,Israel Country's Spy Agency. BBC / Why We Engage Foreign Lobbyists, Media Consultants-fg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.