Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,754 members, 7,813,494 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? (84948 Views)

How To Block Incoming Call Without Notifying The Caller / How To Make The Receiver Pay For All Your Calls,on Any Network In Nigeria. / Nigerians And Kenyans: Who Pays More For Data Services? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Ifiok21: 3:43pm On Jun 03, 2022
You aren't paying any money to make WhatsApp calls. Just mb

And your can easily check how many mb any previous call you had took. Just go to the call section on WhatsApp
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by micxwell(m): 3:44pm On Jun 03, 2022
skoskosko:

Nobody pays more! It’s exactly same on both ends. If I send you a file of 10mb, you need exactly 10mb to download it. The volume of data A is uploading is the exact same volume B is downloading.
The only factor that will most likely differentiate the cost for both parties is the amount their carrier charges per KB.

1 Like

Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Coded081(m): 3:44pm On Jun 03, 2022
ollah2:
It's the receiver. It's not a joke. I've tried it times without number and confirmed it's the receiver

Is a lie, both the receiver and the calling pay. At times is the receiver that will pay more
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Coded081(m): 3:47pm On Jun 03, 2022
ollah2:

The question wasn't who pays but who pays more.

Sometimes the receiver pay more depending on your network provider
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by MrBachelor: 3:48pm On Jun 03, 2022
Nbote:
My broda no think am ooo. U'll send some gals airtime and they'll still flash or ask u to call back to thank you. And ironically if u owe her and eventually dash her money, she'll still ask of d money u owe even if d one u dash her na like 50k and wat u owe her na 5k.

Truer words were never spoken.

1 Like

Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by chloride6: 3:48pm On Jun 03, 2022
The Caller does Because WhatsApp servers compress the audio before they send it you.

1 Like

Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by airsaylongcome: 3:54pm On Jun 03, 2022
ollah2:

So for pure VOIP connections, the voice codecs used determine the level of compression of the data before it is sent over the connection. There are a number of codecs such as Opus, ulaw, alaw, G722, G729 etc. Opus is very optimal as it heavily compresses data before sending it over the network. It is however very computationally intensive and can be a big drain on battery. But for WhatsApp, I expect that both ends use the same codecs and therefore use the same amount of data at both ends. I've not looked in-depth at what codecs WhatsApp uses so I cannot say whether they use an optimal codec or not

1 Like

Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by airsaylongcome: 3:55pm On Jun 03, 2022

Oh I see. In that case I don't know who pays more

No party pays more
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by airsaylongcome: 3:57pm On Jun 03, 2022
chloride6:
The Caller does Because WhatsApp servers compress the audio before they send it you.

Reference for this please. I'd be interested to know if there is public information on this. AFAIK, compression or decompression occurs at the Endpoint (phone or softphone) for VoIP communications
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jun 03, 2022

Wrong. Both parties are connected via internet so both will be billed. If u think it's just the receiver then u should also be able to make Whatsapp call when u don't have data. It's just like me sending u a file via Whatsapp. I use my data to upload it while u also use ur data to download it.

Best Award In Explanation Goes to you cheesy

1 Like

Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Emma1Oj(m): 4:00pm On Jun 03, 2022
who needs an introverted boyfriend? i'm up for grabs. cool
Lol....
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Olam09(m): 4:00pm On Jun 03, 2022
I had to ask this question because believe or not, a girl flashed me with whatsapp call. She literally called me and said call me back and hung up. I laughed so hard. I tried explaining to her that both parties were billed at the same bytes per second but she won't believe.

It was funny sha, I go still yab the girl well.

Who flashes on whatsapp?
grin The girl na dullard.
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by moonraker(m): 4:00pm On Jun 03, 2022
Lagusta:
I believe the question of "who pays more" depends on the network provider, network strength, and the download/upload rate.....

But why are you all worried about who pays more? I once made a WhatsApp call for about 1hr20mins and only about 20mb was deducted.....

So what's all the fuss about??

your head is there.
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by tiswell(m): 4:03pm On Jun 03, 2022
Lagusta:
I believe the question of "who pays more" depends on the network provider, network strength, and the download/upload rate.....

But why are you all worried about who pays more? I once made a WhatsApp call for about 1hr20mins and only about 20mb was deducted.....

So what's all the fuss about??
video call?
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by meobizy(f): 4:05pm On Jun 03, 2022
Stop dating broke and stingy idiots.
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by TeeNanu(m): 4:05pm On Jun 03, 2022

Wrong. Both parties are connected via internet so both will be billed. If u think it's just the receiver then u should also be able to make Whatsapp call when u don't have data. It's just like me sending u a file via Whatsapp. I use my data to upload it while u also use ur data to download it.

Well explained [color=#000099][/color]

1 Like

Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Miyachi: 4:09pm On Jun 03, 2022
The person that does most of the listening. Since calls are essentially UDP packets, the person speaking is sending packets that the listener downloads.
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Hassanmaye(m): 4:18pm On Jun 03, 2022
ollah2:
It's the receiver. It's not a joke. I've tried it times without number and confirmed it's the receiver
This your statement are you sure? I will stop receiving WhatsApp call then you just scared me o

1 Like

Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Akharmony: 4:19pm On Jun 03, 2022
Unlike regular calls, the receiver does not incur charges to receive the call. But for WhatsApp, both parties pay data charges to call and receive a call.
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Hassanmaye(m): 4:19pm On Jun 03, 2022

Wow I removed my cap
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Error401: 4:20pm On Jun 03, 2022
nitt:
never knew the charges are on both caller and receiver.

Interesting!!
it's on both sides
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by dvkot(m): 4:21pm On Jun 03, 2022
Are people still confused to this extent? If i send you a 100mb file on whatsapp you'd use the same amount to download it... WhatsApp calls are like voice note its lower in size because WhatsApp is light and highly optimised, a 1hr call won't be up to 15mb
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Enumerator(m): 4:24pm On Jun 03, 2022
A typical naija girl, dem don carry dem parasitic mentality enter whatsapp
I had to ask this question because believe or not, a girl flashed me with whatsapp call. She literally called me and said call me back and hung up. I laughed so hard. I tried explaining to her that both parties were billed at the same bytes per second but she won't believe.

Who flashes on whatsapp?
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Youngpo413: 4:33pm On Jun 03, 2022
Rey11:
Na person wey talk pass
This is funny.
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by nextstep(m): 4:36pm On Jun 03, 2022
ollah2:

You both pay the same: you both send and receive the same number of packets, just as you would with a file. MTN or Glo don't care (or shouldn't) about the contents of your packets - whether you shared a video or you make a voice call. You both pay for the transfer of data (unless somehow it's cheaper to download than to upload)

For example, caller sends 1MB worth of their voice, you receive 1MB of their voice; meanwhile you sent 2MB of your voice (because you talk twice as much as you listen), and caller gets 2MB of your voice. You both transferred 3MB each, and get billed for that same amount of data.

Now the only difference I can see is if that each of you has a different tarriff/plan based on your phone provider or the bundle, but all else being equal, you will be charged the same, as you both used the same amount of data for the call. This is obviously different from a standard phone call or even sms.

1 Like

Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Mouhstorph5(m): 4:41pm On Jun 03, 2022
This post is the reason the word..... Never give up was coined grin

1 Like

Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by dontrulee: 5:00pm On Jun 03, 2022
It depends though.
I used to be very close to someone in Kenya and I used to decline her video calls until she said that, since she's the one calling, she is the one that will be debited. I had to explain to her that it's not like that ooo, Dem go debit Me too. But who flashes on WhatsApp?? That's weird. I hardly pick WhatsApp calls, especially those who didn't inform me ahead of time. I'll just cut it and ignore.

1 Like

Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by WibusJaga: 5:05pm On Jun 03, 2022

Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Sunsets: 5:10pm On Jun 03, 2022
Caller or callee

Who flashes on whatsapp?
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Iamvetlander(m): 5:29pm On Jun 03, 2022

The reason fora that is because it very rare to see service providers charge less for long calls. The destination is important especially if it is international call

Not true my Boss.
Re: Who Pays More For A Whatsapp Call? The Caller Or The Receiver? by Iamvetlander(m): 5:31pm On Jun 03, 2022
tiswell:
video call?

Video call too don't cost much MB. I just laugh when people say they don't have much MB for video call.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Oukitel (u20 & u16max), Leagoo m8 pro, and Doogee (Y6&max, x7pro, shoot1) / Innjoo Fire Plus And Halo official discussion thread / WhatsApp To Stop Working On 43 Smartphone Models From November (Full List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.