Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,353 members, 7,954,414 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:35 PM

20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD (5549 Views)

Why Does An Interacting God Need Arguments For Its Existence? / There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe / What Christians Say When They Are Losing Arguments (For Atheists) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 5:00pm On Nov 22, 2016
Bump
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 8:08pm On Dec 08, 2016
The Moral Argument

1. Real moral obligation is a fact. We are really, truly, objectively obligated to do good and avoid evil.

2. Either the atheistic view of reality is correct or the "religious" one.

3. But the atheistic one is incompatible with there being moral obligation.

4. Therefore the "religious" view of reality is correct.

We need to be clear about what the first premise is claiming. It does not mean merely that we can find people around who claim to have certain duties. Nor does it mean that
there have been many people who thought they were obliged to do certain things (like clothing the naked) and to avoid doing others (like committing adultery). The first premise is claiming something more: that we human beings really are obligated; that our duties arise from the way things really are, and not simply from our desires or subjective dispositions. It is claiming, in other words, that moral values or obligations themselves—and not merely the belief in moral values—are objective fact
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 8:11pm On Dec 08, 2016
Now given the fact of moral obligation, a question naturally
arises. Does the picture of the world presented by atheism accord with this fact? The answer is no. Atheists never tire of telling us that we are the chance products of the motion of matter—a motion which is purposeless and blind to every human striving. We should take them at their word and ask: Given this picture, in what exactly is the moral good rooted? Moral obligation can hardly be rooted in a material motion blind to purpose.

Suppose we say it is rooted in nothing deeper than human willing and desire. In that case, we have no moral standard against which human desires can be judged. For every desire will spring from the same ultimate source— purposeless, pitiless matter.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 8:13pm On Dec 08, 2016
And what becomes of obligation? According to this view, if I say there is an obligation to feed the hungry, I would be stating a fact about my wants and desires and nothing else. I would be saying that I want the hungry to be fed, and that I choose to act on that desire. But this amounts to an admission that neither I nor anyone else is really obliged to feed the hungry—that, in fact, no one has any real obligations at all. Therefore the atheistic view of reality is not compatible with there being genuine moral obligation.

What view is compatible? One that sees real moral obligation as grounded in its Creator, that sees moral obligation as rooted in the fact that we have been created with a purpose and for an end. We may call this view, with deliberate generality, "the religious view." But however general the view, reflection on the fact of moral obligation does seem to confirm it.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 8:16pm On Dec 08, 2016
Question 1: The argument has not shown that ethical subjectivism is false. What if there are no objective values?

Reply: True enough. The argument assumes that there are objective values; it aims to show that believing in them is incompatible with one picture of the world, and quite
compatible with another. Those two pictures are the atheistic- materialistic one, and the (broadly speaking) religious one. Granted, if ethical subjectivism is true, then the argument does not work. However, almost no one is a consistent subjectivist. (Many think they are, and say they are—until they suffer violence or injustice. In that case they invariably stand with
the rest of us in recognizing that certain things ought never to
be done.) And for the many who are not—and never will be—
subjectivists, the argument can be most helpful. It can show
them that to believe as they do in objective values is inconsistent with what they may also believe about the origin and destiny of the universe.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 8:19pm On Dec 08, 2016
Question 2: This proof does not conclude to God but to some vague "religious" view. Isn't this "religious" view compatible with very much more than traditional theism?

Reply: Yes indeed. It is compatible, for example, with Platonic idealism, and many other beliefs that orthodox Christians find terribly deficient. But this general religious view is incompatible with materialism, and with any view that banishes value from the ultimate objective nature of things. That is the important point. It seems most reasonable that moral conscience is the voice of God within the soul, because moral value exists only on the level of persons, minds and wills. And it is hard, if not impossible, to conceive of objective moral principles somehow floating around on their own, apart from any persons.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by akintom(m): 8:53pm On Dec 08, 2016
Same recycled philosophical views, inspired by the very books that introduced God idea into human experience.

Moral values are concepts, developed by humans, within the context of the societal dictates.

The attempt at ascribing divine source to moral values, is still part of the baseless acquisition craze for a god, said to bear an interventionist attribute, in the affairs of human beings.

But there's yet to be seen or felt, any trace of overarching intervention, not even when this god is challenged on this premise.

1 Like

Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by akintom(m): 9:04pm On Dec 08, 2016
DoctorAlien:

I am a Christian today because I arrived at the fact that a GOD exists purely by thought processes.

Was the thought that produced the Christian idea in your mind, developed in vacuum or from the knowledge of teaching of the Bible?

You speak as if thought processes, are some creation of you 100%.

This is unnecessary overreaching.

1 Like

Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 9:21pm On Dec 08, 2016
akintom:

Was the thought that produced the Christian idea in your mind, developed in vacuum or from the knowledge of teaching of the Bible?

You speak as if thought processes, are some creation of you 100%.

This is unnecessary overreaching.

The Bible is a book that is 100% correct, and it contains nothing but the truth. And if it contains nothing but the truth, there is no reason why it should not be believed.

Therefore, Christianity based on the Bible and the Bible alone is rational, since truth is to desired.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 9:27pm On Dec 08, 2016
akintom:
Same recycled philosophical views, inspired by the very books that introduced God idea into human experience.

Moral values are concepts, developed by humans, within the context of the societal dictates.

The attempt at ascribing divine source to moral values, is still part of the baseless acquisition craze for a god, said to bear an interventionist attribute, in the affairs of human beings.

But there's yet to be seen or felt, any trace of overarching intervention, not even when this god is challenged on this premise.

It's either you did not read my post, or you did but your brain could not handle it. Or you know that there is no fault in my post but you must still not agree.

It's no problem.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by akintom(m): 10:14pm On Dec 08, 2016
DoctorAlien:

The Bible is a book that is 100% correct, and it contains nothing but the truth. And if it contains nothing but the truth, there is no reason why it should not be believed.

Therefore, Christianity based on the Bible and the Bible alone is rational, since truth is to desired.

By what standard measures, did you arrive at this your outrageous assertions?
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by akintom(m): 10:18pm On Dec 08, 2016
DoctorAlien:

It's either you did not read my post, or you did but your brain could not handle it. Or you know that there is no fault in my post but you must still not agree.

It's no problem.

I know that you're now an authority, on all the knowledge that be in the world.

Certainly no normal brain can find, any rational meaning in a compilation of conflicted and incongruous excerpts.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 10:33pm On Dec 08, 2016
akintom:

By what standard measures, did you arrive at this your outrageous assertions?

I think the onus is on you to prove that the Bible is not 100% truth.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by akintom(m): 10:36pm On Dec 08, 2016
DoctorAlien:

I think the onus is on you to prove that the Bible is 100% truth.

You are ancient enough on NL, don't roll off on this one.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by akintom(m): 10:39pm On Dec 08, 2016
Isn't absurdity of the highest variant, to keep dispensing stale gist from the book that claimed so much, but bear no trace of indispensability?
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 10:41pm On Dec 08, 2016
akintom:

You are ancient enough on NL, not roll off on this one.

I'm yet to see anyone on Nairaland who can prove that the Bible is not 100% truth.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by akintom(m): 11:09pm On Dec 08, 2016
DoctorAlien:

I'm yet to see anyone on Nairaland who can prove that the Bible is not 100% truth.

Circularity has perfectly done that.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 12:35pm On Jan 09, 2017
THE ARGUMENT FROM CONSCIENCE

Since moral subjectivism is very popular today, the following version of, or twist to, the moral argument should be effective, since it does not presuppose moral objectivism. Modern people often say they believe that there are no universally binding moral obligations, that we must all follow our own private conscience. But that very admission is enough of a premise to prove the existence of God.

Isn't it remarkable that no one, even the most consistent subjectivist, believes that it is ever good for anyone to deliberately and knowingly disobey his or her own conscience? Even if different people's consciences tell them to do or avoid totally different things, there remains one moral absolute for everyone: never disobey your own conscience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 12:39pm On Jan 09, 2017
Now where did conscience get such an absolute authority —an authority admitted even by the moral subjectivist and relativist? There are only four possibilities.

1. From something less than me (nature)
2. From me (individual)
3. From others equal to me (society)
4. From something above me (God)
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 12:42pm On Jan 09, 2017
Let's consider each of these possibilities in order.

1. How can I be absolutely obligated by something less than me— for example, by animal instinct or practical need for material survival?

2. How can I obligate myself absolutely? Am I absolute? Do I have the right to demand absolute obedience from anyone, even myself? And if I am the one who locked myself in this prison of obligation, I can also let myself out, thus destroying the absoluteness of the obligation which we admitted as our premise.

3. How can society obligate me? What right do my equals have to
impose their values on me? Does quantity make quality? Do a million human beings make a relative into an absolute? Is "society" God?

4. The only source of absolute moral obligation left is something superior to me. This binds my will, morally, with rightful demands for complete obedience.

1 Like

Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 12:45pm On Jan 09, 2017
Thus God, or something like God, is the only adequate source and ground for the absolute moral obligation we all feel to obey our conscience. Conscience is thus explainable only as the voice of God in the soul. The Ten Commandments are ten divine footprints in our psychic sand.

Addendum on Religion and Morality

In drawing this connection between morality and religion, we do not want to create any confusion or misunderstanding. We have not said that people can never discover human moral goods unless they acknowledge that God exists. Obviously they can. Believers and nonbelievers can know that knowledge and friendship, for example, are things that we really ought to strive for, and that cruelty and deceit are objectively wrong. Our question has been: which account of the way things really are best makes sense of the moral rules we all acknowledge—that of the believer or that of the non-believer?
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 12:49pm On Jan 09, 2017
If we are the products of a good and loving Creator, this explains why we have a nature that discovers a value that is really there. But how can atheists explain this? For if atheists are right, then no objective moral values can exist. Dostoyevsky said, "If God does not exist, everything is permissible." Atheists may know that some things are not permissible, but they do not know why.

Consider the following analogy. Many scientists examine secondary causes all their lives without acknowledging the First Cause, God. But, as we have seen, those secondary causes could not be without the First Cause, even though they can be known without knowing the First Cause. The same is true of objective moral goods. Thus the moral argument and the various metaphysical arguments share a certain similarity in structure.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 12:51pm On Jan 09, 2017
There are four possible relations between religion and morality, God and goodness.

1. Religion and morality may be thought to be independent. Kierkegaard's sharp contrast between "the ethical" and "the religious," especially in Fear and Trembling, may lead to such a supposition. But (a) an amoral God, indifferent to morality, would not be a wholly good God, for one of the primary meanings of "good" involves the "moral"—just, loving, wise, righteous, holy, kind. And (b) such a morality, not having any connection with God, the Absolute Being, would not have absolute reality behind it.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 12:54pm On Jan 09, 2017
2. God may be thought of as the inventor of morality, as he is the
inventor of birds. The moral law is often thought of as simply a product of God's choice. This is the Divine Command Theory: a thing is good only because God commands it and evil because he forbids it. If that is all, however, we have a serious problem: God and his morality are arbitrary and based on mere power. If God commanded us to kill innocent people, that would become good, since good here means "whatever God commands." The Divine Command Theory reduces morality to power. Socrates refuted the Divine Command Theory pretty conclusively in Plato's Euthyphro. He asked Euthyphro, "Is a thing pious because the gods will it, or do the gods will it because it is pious?" He refuted the first alternative, and thought he was left with the second as the only alternative.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 12:56pm On Jan 09, 2017
3. But the idea that God commands a thing because it is good is also unacceptable, because it makes God conform to a law higher than himself, a law that overarches God and humanity alike. The God of the Bible is no more separated from moral goodness by being under it than he is by being over it. He no more obeys a higher law that binds him, than he creates the law as an artifact that could change and could well have been different, like a planet.

4. The only rationally acceptable answer to the question of the relation between God and morality is the biblical one: morality is based on God's eternal nature. That is why morality is essentially unchangeable. "I am the Lord your God; sanctify yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy" (Lev. 11:44). Our obligation to be just, kind, honest, loving and righteous "goes all the way up" to ultimate reality, to the eternal nature of God, to what God is. That is why morality has absolute and unchangeable binding force on our conscience.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 1:01pm On Jan 09, 2017
The only other possible sources of moral obligation are:

¤My ideals, purposes, aspirations, and desires, something created by my mind or will, like the rules of baseball. This utterly fails to account for why it is always wrong to disobey or change the rules.

¤My moral will itself. Some read Kant this way: I impose morality on myself. But how can the one bound and the one who binds be the same? If the locksmith locks himself in a room, he is not really locked in, for he can also unlock himself.

¤Another human being may be thought to be the one who imposes morality on me—my parents, for example. But this fails to account for its binding character. If your father commands you to deal drugs, your moral obligation is to disobey him. No human being can have absolute authority over another.

1 Like

Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 1:04pm On Jan 09, 2017
¤"Society" is a popular answer to the question of the origin of morality "this or that specific person" is a very unpopular answer. Yet the two are the same. "Society" only means more individuals. What right do they have to legislate morality to me? Quantity cannot yield quality; adding numbers cannot change the rules of a relative game to the rightful absolute demands of conscience.

¤The universe, evolution, natural selection and survival all fare even worse as explanations for morality. You cannot get more out of less. The principle of causality is violated here. How could the primordial slime pools gurgle up the Sermon on the Mount?

Atheists often claim that Christians make a category mistake in using God to explain nature. They say it is like the Greeks using Zeus to explain lightning. In fact, lightning should be explained on its own level, as a material, natural, scientific phenomenon. The same with morality. Why bring in God?
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 1:07pm On Jan 09, 2017
Because morality is more like Zeus than like lightning. Morality exists only on the level of persons, spirits, souls, minds, wills— not mere molecules. You can make correlations between moral obligations and persons (e.g., persons should love other persons), but you cannot make any correlations between morality and molecules. No one has even tried to explain the difference between good and evil in terms, for example, of the difference between heavy and light atoms.
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by DoctorAlien(m): 1:09pm On Jan 09, 2017
So it is really the atheist who makes the same category mistake as the ancient pagan who explained lightning by the will of Zeus. The atheist uses a merely material thing to explain a spiritual thing. That is a far sillier version of the category mistake than the one the ancients made; for it is possible that the greater (Zeus, spirit) caused the lesser (lightning) and explains it; but it is not possible that the lesser (molecules) adequately caused and explains the greater (morality). A good will might create molecules, but how could molecules create a good will? How can electricity obligate me? Only a good will can demand a good will; only Love can demand love.

1 Like

Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by atmbaba4real(m): 6:44pm On Jan 09, 2017
God sha
Re: 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD by atmbaba4real(m): 6:49pm On Jan 09, 2017
Together, then, these arguments claim to prove the existence of a perfect, necessary, transcendent being that created the universe, has authority over it, and takes an interest in humanity. This, if it could be accomplished, would be more than enough to show that the Christian conception of God, and those conceptions of God related to it, are close to the truth.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Members Of Synagogue Church Of All Nations Weeps As T.B Joshua's Corps Arrives / The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Atheism. / Hear The Truth About ‘’juliet ezeonye Idu’’ (a.k.a Chosen Mopol)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.