Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,132 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (60142 Views)

Ten Most Common Laptop Problems And Their Solutions / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by obataala(m): 4:49am On Nov 20, 2009
@deji2009.i think you should help to reset connection settings first.though i didnt include it in earlier post. i wanted to post them bit by bit. Its been connected to net with pc suite and default home page is google,the status shows the speed,sent and received data all those stuff.all i get is page cannot be found.i check the fire wall it was on i turned it off,yet same thing. Even when i plugged in LAN cable it kept tripping on and off but occasionally it visualizes the homepage i must have tempered with security, protocol or yet internet settings.pls brother be easy on me now!. Lets solve this first then i can try out those tips. Am posting from my nokia6555.thanks for the selfless service you guys are rendering.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by clem2love(m): 2:06pm On Nov 20, 2009
Good day miksonic,

sorry i have this hp pavilon which is working properly before but now it develope a cam fault,

the cam do work anymore, what can i do?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Kaybaba5(m): 1:40pm On Nov 21, 2009
is there any way someone can upgrade from operating system SP PACK 1 TO PACK 2 window xp without formating
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by dawhizkid1(m): 4:21pm On Nov 23, 2009
I have a HP 530 laptop using XP. It has these problems;
1. When I plug in the Charger, the Charging Light goes Off an On Interminently.
2. The Battery level reduces rapidly.
3. I went to use it in a Cyber Cafe. The Cafe attendant said the LAN Driver is not installed. How can I install it? Help me Plz!
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Aj9: 9:29am On Nov 26, 2009
Hi i have problem with my screen. Its a HP Pavillon 6315. i gave it to a frd and got it back with my screen having veritcal bars of different color. i can only see my desktop via a small opening on the screen.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by mikesleek(m): 7:12am On Nov 29, 2009
Aj_7:

Hi i have problem with my screen. Its a HP Pavillon 6315. i gave it to a frd and got it back with my screen having veritcal bars of different color. i can only see my desktop via a small opening on the screen.
there is 80% possibility the laptop fell hence the screen has gone bad, since you say it has vertical lines of differnt colours and you can only see thru one part of the screen, the screeen needs to be replaced.

da-whizkid:

3. I went to use it in a Cyber Cafe. The Cafe attendant said the LAN Driver is not installed. How can I install it? Help me Plz!

for the intermittent on and off of the charging light, try another laptop charger on it and see if it continues. If it does, then the charging port is bad. For the lan driver, visit www.hp.com click on driver download, enter your model number, select xp and download the driver. that should take care of your challenge.

Kay-baba:

is there any way someone can upgrade from operating system SP PACK 1 TO PACK 2 window xp without formating
just go to microsoftwebsite, download service pack 3 for xp and apply the patch to your system . It is an exe file so just double click and install. no need to format the system.

clem2love:

Good day miksonic,

sorry i have this hp pavilon which is working properly before but now it develope a cam fault,

why are you sorry you have a faulty hp? what kinda cam fault is it having?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Utali(m): 7:43am On Nov 29, 2009
My sony vaio laptop has issues, sometimes i have to twist the screen a lil to see the screen because i believe the wires were touching somewhere, then the screen broke
Can i find the screen in Computer village and for how much?
My laptop specification is Sony Viao VGN series VGN-CR510E

then again my desktop computer stopped browsing all of a sudden, i use Visafone and anytime i connect it would show its connected but webpages would not open, i have tried using other modems on it and it is still the say thing; the computer says its connected but wont open webpages, i have checked all the configurations and they seem ok, someone suggested it could be the norton anti virus that i uninstalled.
I await your advise on both issue thanks
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 8:59am On Nov 29, 2009
clem2love:

Good day miksonic,

That won't help the tecs. what is the make and model of your computer ?

XP or vista. look for[b] FN[/b] on your keyboard and also start look from[b] F1 to F12[/b]

until you see a webcam image on the any Fn number keys then hold down FN+ f ? that is got

webcam image to activate it. if no joy then could be there is a switch at the front or side of your

laptop. if no joy we need to verify device manager to make sure webcam is installed and active.

if you need help getting to device manager use google since you did not specify operating system type

after getting to device manager look for imaing device and other device what does it says

device manager looks like this. can be access by simply pressing windows logo +PauseBreak, click hardware then

device manager
. let us know what it has underneath. Good luck and thanks for enquiring
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 9:06am On Nov 29, 2009
Kay-baba:

pls my lappy cant install microsoft office, bluetooth installer, nokia pc suite , it says win 32 not supported
i cant really figure wat is happening

Not a valid Win32 application.

Often this error message will be similar to the below error message.

C:\Program Files\myprogram\program.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Cause:

This issue can be caused by any of the below possibilities.

1. File is corrupt, bad, or missing.
2. File is not designed for your version of Windows.
3. File is a virus, worm, or other malware file.
4. Hardware incompatibility.

Answer:

File is corrupt, bad, or missing

If the file or program you're attempting to run is corrupt or missing, Windows will be unable to execute the file properly and sometimes generate this error message.

Download files

If you downloaded this file and verified it is complete and compatible with your version of Windows, delete the file and try downloading and running it again. It's possible during the download that the file became corrupted.

Finally, if the second download does not work, try downloading the file from a different webpage. It is possible that the person or company maintaining the website mistakenly uploaded a corrupt version of the file you're attempting download.

Installing a program from a CD or other disk

If you're attempting to install a program and are getting this error, verify that the CD is clean. If the CD is dirty or bad, you could get this error during the install and/or get this error after the program has been installed because it was not copied properly onto the computer. Good luck and thanks for enquring
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 9:21am On Nov 29, 2009
kruz:

hi y'all.
i have an acer laptop that just started 'powering down' by itself. it just goes off. when i try to reboot, it doesnt even get past the 'POST'.
pls someone help! this is my 'office'.
thanx.

Is it XP or Vista ? how long does it take before it switch off itself ?

Do you have display? Does it turn off with and without battery and charger ?

Seems the system power up and power down withing 50 secs or so.

Here's you diags. check to make sure no damages to the USB ports

check the DC port which is the charging unit where your charger goes into

there should be a pin inside. is it shaking use a screw driver to verify

when it turn itself off does it left any light behind. try to connect laptop to a monitor

and see any difference. let us know how you get on. Good luck and thanks for enquiring
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 9:27am On Nov 29, 2009
Kay-baba:

my laptop has operating system sp1, how can i change it without formatin, is pentium M laptop

You can't change it @user. you need to download windows update to

auto change it to service pack 2 or 3 if it XP. if vista then you"ll be looking

at service pack 2. I have to tell you now there a know issues with vista service

pack so make sure you create a restore point just incase anything happen

On your system tray you should be frequently notified about available windows

update or visit micorosft website. Good luck and thanks for equiring.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 9:39am On Nov 29, 2009
Test the Hard Drive
Use the steps below to test the hard drive in a Notebook PC using the HP Hard Drive Self Test.

1.Plug the AC Adapter into the Notebook PC.

2.Press and hold the Power button for 5 Seconds to turn off the PC.

3. Press and hold the F10 key while you press the Power button to turn on the PC. Release the F10 key after text is displayed on the screen of the PC.

4.After the BIOS Setup Utility is displayed, use the Right Arrow key to select the Tools menu.

5.Select Hard Drive Self Test

6.Press the Enter key to start the test.

The Hard Drive Self Test will provide an Estimated test time . A Quick test, a Comprehensive test, and a SMART test

will execute when the Enter key is pressed.

If any test fails Schedule a Repair

If all of the tests pass, the hard drive is not damaged then is a software problem. you need to reformat[/b]

connect laptop to monitor and see if screen flickers. infact, dont connect to a monitor. since we are in the Bios. we might as well make use of that ok after the hd test plug your charger to mains and then leve the laptop in the bios for 5 minutes if you have a flickering screen then is a hardware problem and need servicing. could be the RAM or video isnt seated properly or you have some screws missing on the hinged and sorrounding.

Good luck and thanks for enquring
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 9:55am On Nov 29, 2009
Valto:

pc guru in da house pls help meoooooo.my hp latop recently developed a fault of crashing to black screen then it will reboot .note i dont want to format it .i have tried everything to solved the problem from virusremover,malwareremover,spywareremover all of them updated tothe lastest definition,still they cannot detect any single virus.my hp laptop is dualcore-2 320gig 2gig ram. pls help cos it crash any time.it started crashing since i updated windows which it says dat is not genuine,since then i have removed & delected everything 4rm >windows validation exe,genuine exe or other tins dat may caused it but still crashes freguently.secondly the taskbar also blinks/flickering/distortion,even when the pc is booting.pls help .

Test the Hard Drive
Use the steps below to test the hard drive in a Notebook PC using the HP Hard Drive Self Test.

[table]1.Plug the AC Adapter into the Notebook PC.

2.Press and hold the Power button for 5 Seconds to turn off the PC.

3. Press and hold the F10 key while you press the Power button to turn on the PC. Release the F10 key after text is displayed on the screen of the PC.

4.After the BIOS Setup Utility is displayed, use the Right Arrow key to select the Tools menu.

5.Select Hard Drive Self Test

6.Press the Enter key to start the test.[/table]

The Hard Drive Self Test will provide an Estimated test time . A Quick test, a Comprehensive test, and a SMART test

will execute when the Enter key is pressed.

If any test fails Schedule a Repair

If all of the tests pass, the hard drive is not damaged then is a software problem. you need to reformat[/b]

connect laptop to monitor and see if screen flickers. infact, dont connect to a monitor. since we are in the Bios. we might as well make use of that ok after the hd test plug your charger to mains and then leve the laptop in the bios for 5 minutes if you have a flickering screen then is a hardware problem and need servicing. could be the RAM or video isnt seated properly or you have some screws missing on the hinged and sorrounding.

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 9:59am On Nov 29, 2009
Aj_7:

Like my colleague has adviced @mike. follow what he said.alternatively

connect your laptop to a monitor and see if same. ok here your second

diags make sure laptop is running through the mains. turn it off please

back on again and keep pressing f2 or F1 or Delete until you see a blue screen

leave it there for 1 minutes check if you have the same problem here. if you do

then is a screen problem most likely is been dropped and need repairing

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 10:09am On Nov 29, 2009
da-whizkid:

Here's your diags my brother

www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/battery_ts.htm">http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/battery_ts.htm

Good luck and thanks for enquiring
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Digriz(m): 10:15am On Nov 29, 2009
Pls gurus am having problem wt my dell laptop whch is hanging smtimes weneva am workin or trying to open a program.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by chidyke77(m): 10:29am On Nov 29, 2009
pls is it possible for me to copy a program frm one pc to another cos i hav a new pc dat i wnt to instal some of the programs i hav on my old one. pls detail me on hw to do dat if its possible.tnks
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Ebuks: 2:30pm On Nov 29, 2009
Pls Help. I bought my laptop on the month of feb. I've used my lapi for like 9-10 months now. The battery newly last for like 3-4 hours. But now. It only lasts for just 3 minutes. What do i do?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by tydotbaba(m): 6:11pm On Nov 29, 2009
shocked shocked
what can cause my laptop(compaq presario cq61 vista os) from bringin out sound after increasing d volume to 100%. Plz any one who knows should help. Txs
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 10:58pm On Nov 29, 2009
Digriz:

Pls gurus am having problem wt my dell laptop whch is hanging smtimes weneva am workin or trying to open a program.

Next time please try and specify if it is XP or Vista machine.

What are you opening when it start and when does it start occcuring ?

I"ll take is XP because it's popularity. click start > all programmes > accessories > system tools

> Disk clean up>? make sure hibernate is uncheck as this can delete your hibernate option

which can prevent your system from hibernating

There should be some different by now. if not bring up Run and type in Msconfig > start up> untick all items

except your security software which is need to be ticked so it will start up when windows boot

anything else on that list untick it. click apply and ok and make sure system is restarted so 

changes can take effect. Then test. if no joy then hold down the microsoft logo on your keybaord + Pause break key

a  box should pop with your Ram Size. what is it ? e.g. 512MD DDR or SDRAM OR GDDR

please let me or others know how you get on as this develop my skills. Good luck and thanks for enquring.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 11:10pm On Nov 29, 2009
chidyke77:

pls is it possible for me to copy a program frm one pc to another cos i hav a new pc dat i wnt to instal some of the programs i hav on my old one. pls detail me on hw to do dat if its possible.tnks

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Connect-two-computers-using-a-crossover-cable

Good luck and thanks for enquiring.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 11:15pm On Nov 29, 2009
Ebuks:

Pls Help. I bought my laptop on the month of feb. I've used my lapi for like 9-10 months now. The battery newly last for like 3-4 hours. But now. It only lasts for just 3 minutes. What do i do?

I'm guessing is a Dell, Compaq or Hp. correct me if am wrong

http://www.laptops-battery.co.uk/blog/calibrate-laptop-battery/

if this work please let me/us know so we can help others

Good luck and thanks for enquiring
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 11:22pm On Nov 29, 2009
tydotbaba:

shocked shocked
what can cause my laptop(compaq presario cq61 vista os) from bringin out sound after increasing d volume to 100%. Plz any one who knows should help. Txs

strange ! ok, here's your diagnostics

google search on how you can get to

device manager to verify the integrity

of your sound hardware device. could

be it need updating when in device mgr

look for sound video then you sound

driver mostlikely is hd high def orAC97

right click and update automatically

Good luck and thanks for enquiring.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by CHARLOE(m): 1:06am On Nov 30, 2009
my laptop trips off after few minutes of coming on. help pls!
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 1:26am On Nov 30, 2009
CHARLOE:

my laptop trips off after few minutes of coming on. help pls!

trips off. That isn't a technical term people here will recognise.

do you mean switch off or fell off (Acc Dam) ok here's your diags

test it on another monitor using a VGA cable and test. Good luck
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Digriz(m): 7:16am On Nov 30, 2009
@deji
Tnks a lot cos ur advice really worked for me and d hanging has stop.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by kruz: 10:02am On Nov 30, 2009
deji2009:

Is it XP or Vista ? how long does it take before it switch off itself ?

Do you have display? Does it turn off with and without battery and charger ?

Seems the system power up and power down withing 50 secs or so.

Here's you diags. check to make sure no damages to the USB ports

check the DC port which is the charging unit where your charger goes into

there should be a pin inside. is it shaking use a screw driver to verify

when it turn itself off does it left any light behind. try to connect laptop to a monitor

and see any difference. let us know how you get on. Good luck and thanks for enquiring

hi deji! thanx for your response.
however,
1. the OS is xp ('had a roll-back done from vista over a year ago)
2. i dont put it on for now. 'just abandoned it cos i have been busy kinda.
3. when it first started, i'd be working and just 'whooosh' it is gone. (powered down that is)
4. the battery is still intact. no problem with the usb ports.
5. the charging port is also intact.
6. when it powered down, all lights went out except the ac power input when connected. but if on battery, no indicator light remains on.
7. i once felt like it might be the fan for the processor causing the heart-ache cos i thot i didnt feel the hot air that normally flows out of the vent outlets. aint sure, but plan to check it out or have it checked when i think i'm less busy. (probably during the christmas break)

hope to hear from you though, if you have a few instructions for me to follow for troubleshooting or repairs.
thanx once again. smiley   smiley
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Utali(m): 1:43pm On Nov 30, 2009
My sony vaio laptop has issues, sometimes i have to twist the screen a lil to see the screen because i believe the wires were touching somewhere, then the screen broke
Can i find the screen in Computer village and for how much?
My laptop specification is Sony Viao VGN series VGN-CR510E

then again my desktop computer stopped browsing all of a sudden, i use Visafone and anytime i connect it would show its connected but webpages would not open, i have tried using other modems on it and it is still the say thing; the computer says its connected but wont open webpages, i have checked all the configurations and they seem ok, someone suggested it could be the norton anti virus that i uninstalled.
I await your advise on both issue thanks
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by preshizeee(m): 9:29am On Dec 01, 2009
pls laptop guru , my lg r400 laptop has some issues , when i run it on battery it works fine and very fast, and the cpu percentage is always about 5-10% but when i plug the ac adapter to it , it jumps to a 100% and becomes very slow, please what do i do
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by thaira(f): 11:00am On Dec 07, 2009
Hi, Deji 2009. My Laptop DVD hatch does not come out again. Its stuck inside and i have tried ejecting it using the button outside and using the eject option in Windows Media Player. None worked. Do you think it could be the flex? Please advise me. sad
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Mbaegbu: 11:29am On Dec 07, 2009
help! my younger sister forgot her adminisstrator password of her pc. os is vista. brand sony. is there any way one can help to still break the pasword . the system is almost useles to her and she has been crying . plz tell me what to do.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by tboyjnr(m): 1:08pm On Dec 07, 2009
Well, there are two things you can do, tell her to relax and try and remember if that doesnt work, you can use a third party software to hack the password.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Grade A USA Used Probook 640 Core I5 For Sale. / Free Proxy List, Web Proxy List, Socks List Download Them As Raw Text Format. / Solid State Drive Vs Sata Hard Drives. Which One Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.