Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,158 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

I Need Your Opinions on my marriage - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Need Your Opinions on my marriage (9715 Views)

My Wife's Sister Is About To Crash My Marriage, Please Help / POF: My Marriage Is About To Be Ruined Becaus Of A Secret I Kept From My Husband / 'I Left My Marriage After My Wife Sat On Me And I Fainted' - Man Reveals. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by byvan03: 9:25pm On Nov 09, 2016
thotianna:

Thanks. I will find time to have a very serious discussion about our finances.
I will insist he tells me and if he doesn't I will not spend out of my money because I assume he has a lot that's why he is hiding it.

As for the savings, I have been saving that money since university even before I met him, I am going to invest it how I like. Even if I still spend from my salary on the house, I will not touch that savings. It will be kept away for a rainy day.

Invest that savings even if the heavens threaten to fall. it's obvious the kind pf man he is. Spend all you have saved and it still won't be enough for him. Be ready to help when needed but don't touch that savings except for investment until he is ready to reveal his cards .

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by Timbuktuo: 9:53pm On Nov 09, 2016
thotianna:

We don't have joint finances because I don't even know how much he has. He refused to tell me

But he knows how much you earn? Oh, wait, he doesn't know either. Which would explain his sudden attempts at research and interrogation. You do realise youre as guilty as he on financial secrecy, right? Right?

And they said love was all you needed when getting married. Madam, do you not love your husband again? Or is this what your brand if love demands?
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by Timbuktuo: 10:02pm On Nov 09, 2016
And I wouldn't blame this guy either. I mean, the OP's family gave him a minimum wage limit he had to comply with or risk losing their daughter. grin. If I were dude, I would damn well move on, surely OP isn't farting lavender, there would no point. And if I did get married to this woman, I'd do exactly what hubby is doing keeping his worth to himself. She can spend her money on whatever she pleases. After all, her money is hers and mine is mine. grin.

Thotianna, baby, I would advise you to not divulge and don't poke your nose in his wallet either. Let's hope he can contunue to be responsible to his duties now that he knows you're quite money-heavy, at this point that's the best we can pray for.

Btw, where is all this love people in this section keep saying is necessary before they marry? This doesn't seem like a loving marriage to me. Seems like opponents trying to get the upper hand in whatever arrangement they've got going.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by sunvick(m): 10:36pm On Nov 09, 2016
I will feel so betrayed. If you can hide such from me, then there are more you are hiding. It also shows that there is trust issues in the family.

thotianna:
It wasn't a struggle.

The wife just happened to be richer than the husband and he found out about her money.

How would you feel as a guy if you were in the husbands shoes?
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by Jaygrl(f): 12:07am On Nov 10, 2016
sunvick:
I will feel so betrayed. If you can hide such from me, then there are more you are hiding. It also shows that there is trust issues in the family.

Did you understand the OP at all Her husband hasn't given them room to discuss about their finances. He doesn't want her to know how much he has,so why should she let him know how much she has in the bank? My marriage is also less than 1yr,my husband and I have never discussed my money,he asks for list of stuffs we need at home at the end of the month and gives me the money,he gives me money to make my hair e.t.c. Recently we are searching for a bigger apartment,the ones we have seen so far are quite beyond his budget, I volunteered to complete the money and he refused saying it is his duty to take care of me. He says always that I should save my money for our future...lol. Some men are not interested in however their wives decide to spend their money,he made a promise to her family to take care of her,that he should fulfill not minding how much she has in the bank.
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by sunvick(m): 12:50am On Nov 10, 2016
Try not to misinterpret the two scenerios. OP is insisting on knowing the total amount of money the hubby has. On the other hand your hubby has given you his blessing to save all you earn for the future. OP is only complaining now cos she was caught.
Why dont you ask your hubby to tell you his total money saved and see what he will tell you. If you believe a man is the head of the family, there are things you dont approach head on. I believe there are other ways of approaching issues that has to do with money without challenging his headship or bruising his ego.

My dear the comparison does not hold water in OP's case. Imagine couples snooping on each other less than a year of marriage. Next stage will be pass-wording of phones.

It wont be a bad idea for OP to seek separation or Divorce like someone suggested and save herself the hassle of snooping around the hubby-vise versa so she will become totally independent to use earning for whatever suits her, thereby putting an end to their hide and seek game.

Jaygrl:
Did you understand the OP at all Her husband hasn't given them room to discuss about their finances. He doesn't want her to know how much he has,so why should she let him know how much she has in the bank? My marriage is also less than 1yr,my husband and I have never discussed my money,he asks for list of stuffs we need at home at the end of the month and gives me the money,he gives me money to make my hair e.t.c. Recently we are searching for a bigger apartment,the ones we have seen so far are quite beyond his budget, I volunteered to complete the money and he refused saying it is his duty to take care of me. He says always that I should save my money for our future...lol. Some men are not interested in however their wives decide to spend their money,he made a promise to her family to take care of her,that he should fulfill not minding how much she has in the bank.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by thotianna: 5:03am On Nov 10, 2016
Berbierklaus:

[b]Please be wise in this end time sister,First of all you shouldn't have allowed him realize you are richer than him,since he didn't know before hand,that's where insecurities starts,watch how he will soon start questioning your movement and suspecting you of infidelity.

Now that he has known,its a dicey situation and you have to be wise,invest your money 'in your name', build houses 'in your name',sister things are happening.

Now that he knows you have money,you have no choice but to contribute a quota to the family upkeep,I'd advice you do it in moderation,because anytime you show signs that you are capable of taking up the whole responsibilities,be ready to do that for the rest of your life....Why would he suddenly start complaining about fending for his family after he discovered you have money,sister that Is a trait of gigoloism. He will soon bring business proposal,a land to buy etc,I hope you will be able to handle it when it starts.

In everything please seek financial advice from professionals before handing out your money(you worked for it even before he married you,so its yours)When loving and becoming a good wife,be wise remember we are in the end time[/b]

Thanks. This sounds very intelligent.

Imagine people telling me I was wrong to hide the money when our initial agreement was that he would be in charge of finances in our household and I also added that he was not struggling to support us.

Yet am wrong to keep my money to myself. I must spend it on our house. If I demand that he enters the kitchen to prepare dinner those days when I am too tired to do so the same people will start shouting about traditional gender roles.

Mtsheew
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by thotianna: 5:07am On Nov 10, 2016
Jaygrl:

Thank you my dear.

Isn't this how it should be?
With the husband going out to fend for daily bread while the wife takes care of house and children.

I have never seen a scenario where a woman is told that she must provide for the family whether she likes it or not.

Nobody tells men to cook or clean whether they like it or not.

I am not spending my savings. If worst comes to worst we end the marriage because this is oppression.
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by Berbierklaus(f): 6:23am On Nov 10, 2016
thotianna:

Imagine people telling me I was wrong to hide the money when our initial agreement was that he would be in charge of finances in our household and I also added that he was not struggling to support us.

Yet am wrong to keep my money to myself. I must spend it on our house. If I demand that he enters the kitchen to prepare dinner those days when I am too tired to do so the same people will start shouting about traditional gender roles.

Mtsheew
[b]Ma'am you need to calm down.

I observed you and your husband did not have much level of understanding before getting married?

First of all you shouldn't compare your marriage/husband to others (that's a time bomb)

secondly,the love and commitment was not there initially,I'd advice you try to build it and see how it goes, what I mean is that,explain how the money came about to your husband,then tell him you will commit the money to him, then give him a part of it that you can part with and keep the rest,make it look like you have no money anymore, if he feels there is more,tell him people that saved it with you have collected their money, Then watch his next move ---That is testing what he really wants,then know your next move.

Lastly,please purge your mind of divorce,did you go into the marriage to divorce few years after? marriage is not relationship you can go in and out,forget about the conditions your parents gave to him,you are now a grown woman who should look after her affairs, come to an agreement with your husband,both of you are now one body,he probably agreed to their terms coz he was in a hurry to marry you.

God will see you through the first years of marriage it is usually rocky[/b]
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by Berbierklaus(f): 6:27am On Nov 10, 2016
thotianna:

Thank you my dear.

Isn't this how it should be?
With the husband going out to fend for daily bread while the wife takes care of house and children.

I have never seen a scenario where a woman is told that she must provide for the family whether she likes it or not.

Nobody tells men to cook or clean whether they like it or not.

I am not spending my savings. If worst comes to worst we end the marriage because this is oppression.
Sadly it can't be like that for every marriage,I guess it came as a rude shock to you.

Like I said earlier,you need to forget people are saying this is your marriage,the same people will crucify you if it doesn't work out.

You need to come to an agreement with your husband,talk "with" him,let him understand you,and try to understand him too.

God will lead you through
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by Viking007(m): 6:59am On Nov 10, 2016
Timbuktuo:

But he knows how much you earn? Oh, wait, he doesn't know either. Which would explain his sudden attempts at research and interrogation. You do realise youre as guilty as he on financial secrecy, right? Right?

And they said love was all you needed when getting married. Madam, do you not love your husband again? Or is this what your brand of love demands?

You can see the op is not willing to listen to any opposing view or take any blame whatsoever, gets all defensive when You don't support her "its Your money, invest it crew".

Instead she has chosen to listen to all these nairaland feminism activist. Oh well, wetin concern man pikin.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by thorpido(m): 7:05am On Nov 10, 2016
thotianna:

Mtsheew
No.
You're going about this the wrong way and you're starting to have a mindset that could affect your marriage.

Your husband wasn't open about his finances from the beginning and you also hid your money from him.You both are to blame here.Don't act like you are blameless.You chose to marry him even when there was some distrust.

You need to start to build that trust now.Have a discussion with him about this situation.He has seen you have some money somewhere.Let him know that money is kept for rainy days and don't be coaxed into spending it.However,chip in sometimes to house expenses.It's your house too.
I hope your husband can cooperate and be more open about his finances with you.Your marriage is still young and you need to steer it on the right path.

It's too early to think about separation or divorce.

*singing*where is the love....

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by unapapadeycraze: 7:33am On Nov 10, 2016
Ladies like marriage very much, abeg. See as them full this thread. Na wa oh. No wonder marriage is being used as a bait to deceive them.
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by fluxbush(f): 7:38am On Nov 10, 2016
thorpido:
No.
You're going about this the wrong way and you're starting to have a mindset that could affect your marriage.

Your husband wasn't open about his finances from the beginning and you also hid your money from him.You both are to blame here.Don't act like you are blameless.You chose to marry him even when there was some distrust.

You need to start to build that trust now.Have a discussion with him about this situation.He has seen you have some money somewhere.Let him know that money is kept for rainy days and don't be coaxed into spending it.However,chip in sometimes to house expenses.It's your house too.
I hope your husband can cooperate and be more open about his finances with you.Your marriage is still young and you need to steer it on the right path.

It's too early to think about separation or divorce.

*singing*where is the love....
Nice one you have here.

Still,you missed some salient points. She contributes to household expenses from her salary. I am pretty sure her husband knows how much she earns. She explained they contribute 50-50. The bone of contention is her SAVINGS. Savings she's had since her college days,which he insists she spends.

From some comments above, I had to wonder if I read this story upside down. I don't understand how people will put ALL the blame on the lady while absolving the husband who should shoulder most of it. And when you try to correct them,they start chanting the feminism warcry. Well,this is nairaland,home to progressive women haters club.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by unapapadeycraze: 7:41am On Nov 10, 2016
sisisioge:

Babes, it appears you not only didn't know the man you married, you aren't a team player too. I don't see anything wrong in you chipping in when the chips are down though I strongly oppose the woman championing the bread. Whew, indeed no carry your savings eat food o. It is better you invest and help out in the house with proceeds. Pick some bills dear...you are a teammate...don't allow the team to fall.

By the way, if your bobo is one of those guys who wouldn't mind the woman championing the bread...hide the money further cool You be him helpmate not his mother!

you like marriage talk. Are you married?

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by thorpido(m): 7:47am On Nov 10, 2016
fluxbush:
Nice one you have here.

Still,you missed some salient points. She contributes to household expenses from her salary. I am pretty sure her husband knows how much she earns. She explained they contribute 50-50. The bone of contention is her SAVINGS. Savings she's had since her college days,which he insists she spends.

From some comments above, I had to wonder if I read this story upside down. I don't understand how people will put ALL the blame on the lady while absolving the husband who should shoulder most of it. And when you try to correct them,they start chanting the feminism warcry. Well,this is nairaland,home to progressive women haters club.
Her husband can't make her spend that savings.It's not for him to insist.
If she contributes to household expenditure and buys gifts for him once in a while,then that's okay.
Op,just needs to find a way to get the husband to be more open about his finances.He says if she knows how much he has,she will start to demand.She should find a way to disabuse that mindset.
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by thotianna: 7:51am On Nov 10, 2016
Berbierklaus:

Ma'am you need to calm down.
I observed you and your husband did not have much level of understanding before getting married?
First of all you shouldn't compare your marriage/husband to others (that's a time bomb)
secondly,the love and commitment was not there initially,I'd advice you try to build it and see how it goes, what I mean is that,explain how the money came about to your husband,then tell him you will commit the money to him, then give him a part of it that you can part with and keep the rest,make it look like you have no money anymore, if he feels there is more,tell him people that saved it with you have collected their money, Then watch his next move ---That is testing what he really wants,then know your next move.
Lastly,please purge your mind of divorce,did you go into the marriage to divorce few years after? marriage is not relationship you can go in and out,forget about the conditions your parents gave to him,you are now a grown woman who should look after her affairs, come to an agreement with your husband,both of you are now one body,he probably agreed to their terms coz he was in a hurry to marry you.
God will see you through the first years of marriage it is usually rocky
Very bad idea. I can't involve more dishonesty in the marriage by lying about people collecting their money.
Secondly partly with the money will mean accepting bullying and oppression. I know he has money. I know what he makes every month from his business. This is selfishness on his part, sorry to say, and if I accept it I will end up being miserable in the marriage.
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by sisisioge: 7:53am On Nov 10, 2016
unapapadeycraze:

you like marriage talk. Are you married?

Yes, with four childrenes. My husband is a great man. My in-laws are wonderful people, our dog's name is Rudy. Any more questions? Enjoy buddy wink

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by thotianna: 7:57am On Nov 10, 2016
thorpido:
If she contributes to household expenditure and buys gifts for him once in a while,then that's okay.
Op,just needs to find a way to get the husband to be more open about his finances.He says if she knows how much he has,she will start to demand.She should find a way to disabuse that mindset.

How else would I disabuse it?

I don't take money from him for anything personal, I know this sounds ridiculous but it's the truth. I buy my own clothes and personal effects, there is nothing in the house that we both make use of which I don't contribute to buying. Even last month I bought the bags of foodstuff we usually buy to use for the next month.
I don't demand anything from him, as God is my witness.

How on earth should I disabuse his mindset? How?
What else do I need to do?

I am tired, if it gets too bad I will end the marriage.
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by fluxbush(f): 7:59am On Nov 10, 2016
thorpido:
Now I know I like you. You are one of the few reasonable and unbiased men on this forum.
@thotianna, calm down joor. Your blood too dey hot. You are not fighting to free Mandela so stop talking about oppression grin grin. I hope you ve come to terms with the fact that you were also wrong but that aside,time to move on. Everyone has counseled you on communication. Talk with Oga first and hear his fears,unfounded or not. Go on from there. Take a day at a time. Take a deep breath and see the positives. If all these doesn't work, let it go. Life is too short for shit like this. Oya smile. smiley wink grin
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by unapapadeycraze: 8:36am On Nov 10, 2016
sisisioge:

Yes, with four childrenes. My husband is a great man. My in-laws are wonderful people, our dog's name is Rudy. Any more questions? Enjoy buddy wink

A picture of you and your husband with your kids or adonbilivit. You like marriage gan. Sisioge, i guess you are not married yet but you are of a marriageable age.
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by Timbuktuo: 9:48am On Nov 10, 2016
Viking007:
[/b]
You can see the op is not willing to listen to any opposing view or take any blame whatsoever, gets all defensive when You don't support her "its Your money, invest it crew".

Instead she has chosen to listen to all these nairaland feminism activist. Oh well, wetin concern man pikin.

Look, I've come to realise people will do what they want and coming to nairaland for advice is mostly just look for an echo chamber. She already has her mind made up and wants to be told she's right. Another aspect, though, is hubby also has his mind made up, and they both have divergent opinions on how their personal and family finances should be run. The interesting thing is to see how it all plays/works out in the end.

Some of the sistren have even cited the economy. Oshey, Buharinomics is now a potent alibi!!! grin. You really cannot make this up. One minute we are equal, the next, they are just housewives trying to save for a rainy day. This is hypocrisy gold.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by Timbuktuo: 9:51am On Nov 10, 2016
thotianna:

Imagine people telling me I was wrong to hide the money when our initial agreement was that he would be in charge of finances in our household and I also added that he was not struggling to support us

Hahahahhahaha. Now, you're talking. You cannot make this up. grin grin grin

thotianna:

Just in case it does go this way, let me be the first to say, "Raumdeuter told you so."

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by Viking007(m): 10:06am On Nov 10, 2016
Timbuktuo:

Look, I've come to realise people will do what they want and coming to nairaland for advice is mostly just look for an echo chamber She already has her mind made up and wants to be told she's right. Another aspect, though, is hubby also has his mind made up, and they both have divergent opinions on how their personal and family finances should be run. The interesting thing is to see how it all plays/works out in the end.

Some of the sistren have even cited the economy. Oshey, Buharinomics is now a potent alibi!!! grin. You really cannot make this up. One minute we are equal, the next, they are just housewives trying to save for a rainy day. This is hypocrisy gold.
grin
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by Atk1nson(m): 10:09am On Nov 10, 2016
fluxbush:
Nice one you have here.

So the husband's money is for the family and her own money (even though she admits she earns more) is "HER savings". Anyway I don't blame her, I blame the man who went to see his in-laws and they were asking him how much he earns to know if he is capable of "taking care" of their daughter and he still went ahead with such marriage.

I'm absolving the man of blame, but the husband has come to the realisation that she is keeping "HER money" and doesn't want to spend his either. Both parties are wrong but Op still insists that since she "intended" to disclose it at some future date, hence she is right while the man is wrong. Whatever agreement the man initially had with her was likely based on trust, following the discovery that his wife has is keeping an undisclosed sum somewhere, that trust has been eroded. You can't come and be planning how you will spend my money while you've stashed some away with a plan to tell me at a date u like.

The Op definitely has not earned the man's trust and does not deserve it based on her submissions here. I can't say for the husband because I haven't heard his side of the story.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by DaniDani(m): 10:16am On Nov 10, 2016
PresVA:
I don't know how you run your home but I wouldn't hide my money/assets from my husband. ..

and if I find out my husband hid his money from me, I would be angry, not because of what the money would have provided for me but because he didn't trust me enough to let me into his savings/investments..

a good marriage should be partnership.
WORD

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by thorpido(m): 10:26am On Nov 10, 2016
thotianna:

How else would I disabuse it?

I don't take money from him for anything personal, I know this sounds ridiculous but it's the truth. I buy my own clothes and personal effects, there is nothing in the house that we both make use of which I don't contribute to buying. Even last month I bought the bags of foodstuff we usually buy to use for the next month.
I don't demand anything from him, as God is my witness.

How on earth should I disabuse his mindset? How?
What else do I need to do?

Throw away a marriage that is barely a year old?Chillllll.Like I said earlier,don't let this thought start to play in your mind.

Onegai said something earlier about having 'money conversations' with him.Has he ever said something about buying a land,shares or mutual funds?Raise such asking him how much he has set aside for that.Tell him you are also saving some money that would be useful for some investments and rainy days.It will encourage more openness about finances.
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by thotianna: 11:37am On Nov 10, 2016
Atk1nson:

So the husband's money is for the family and her own money (even though she admits she earns more) is "HER savings". Anyway I don't blame her, I blame the man who went to see his in-laws and they were asking him how much he earns to know if he is capable of "taking care" of their daughter and he still went ahead with such marriage.
I'm absolving the man of blame, but the husband has come to the realisation that she is keeping "HER money" and doesn't want to spend his either. Both parties are wrong but Op still insists that since she "intended" to disclose it at some future date, hence she is right while the man is wrong. Whatever agreement the man initially had with her was likely based on trust, following the discovery that his wife has is keeping an undisclosed sum somewhere, that trust has been eroded. You can't come and be planning how you will spend my money while you've stashed some away with a plan to tell me at a date u like.

First of all, can you honestly say that when your daughter wants to get married you will not show any concern towards her husbands ability to provide for his family? Answer that question truthfully to yourself.

Second of all what do you mean 'I cannot come and go and be spending your money'? When did it become a crime for men to provide for their wives? Or because she works it now implies that the man is absolved of financial responsibilities?

I believe in traditional marriage roles, the husband is the provider and wife takes care of house and children and besides we AGREED on those roles before marriage. I still have sense to save money for the future because I know anything can happen to his money tomorrow (God forbid) or he might lose his job. I saved that money for eventualities because nobody knows tomorrow, I just realized after reading through the submissions here that I was wrong. I am supposed to spend everything and save nothing in order to be a good wife.
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by sunvick(m): 12:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
It all depends on what you want to achieve with this thread. For you not to have acknowledged that you defaulted in anyway shows your not pursuing for peace in your hause (cos where there is no trust, there is no HOME), I'm not absorbing hubby either. Unfortunately his not here to defend himself.
I will suggest you put aside your defensive attitude and be more open to view advice and suggestions here with an open mind.
Your hubby aint here to defend himself. So advice were given based on your own side of the story.
Buh if you want to end the marriage, know that the marriage breaker crew are always on standby to facilitate that for you.

thotianna:

First of all, can you honestly say that when your daughter wants to get married you will not show any concern towards her husbands ability to provide for his family? Answer that question truthfully to yourself.

Second of all what do you mean 'I cannot come and go and be spending your money'? When did it become a crime for men to provide for their wives? Or because she works it now implies that the man is absolved of financial responsibilities?

I believe in traditional marriage roles, the husband is the provider and wife takes care of house and children and besides we AGREED on those roles before marriage.
I still have sense to save money for the future because I know anything can happen to his money tomorrow (God forbid) or he might lose his job. I saved that money for eventualities because nobody knows tomorrow,
(Lastly, please kindly change your friends or advisers. Note that eventuality happens to everyone no one is exempted).
I just realized after reading through the submissions here that I was wrong. I am supposed to spend everything and save nothing in order to be a good wife.
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 10, 2016
thotianna:
Assuming you found out your wife has a stash of cash somewhere that was enough to single handedly cater for you, herself and the family, would you resent her for not spending it on the family?
What if she said she wanted to save it instead, would you resent her for not spending it on you and the family instead?

This is actually about me and it happened between me and my hubby
Thanks for your honest opinions.
You should develop better ways of saving money. Like buying shares or land. Saving is very important.
Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by sugarbuns(f): 12:05pm On Nov 10, 2016
OP before I got married I realized that finances could cause major issues in my marriage so on New Years day I sat him down and we discussed our contributions to the family. If he doesn't want you to know what he has no problem just say you think you both need to work towards different projects, let it be either 50-50 or 60-40 shikena from salaries or businesses. Buying things for him is by choice I buy clothes, perfumes etc when I feel like for his birthdays or just as a surprise it is not his right. Your savings should be set aside because it is not his money but should be for more important things, if there's a constraint you can help out he can have his own too because it would benefit your family in the long run. I came out clean with my hubby telling him that I would be keeping my money but would not hesitate to help out because I'm supposed to have his back.

Lastly please try to know him more, this air of mystery will not help the union...all the best wink

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Opinions on my marriage by Onegai(f): 12:11pm On Nov 10, 2016
Okay, thotianna, you have 2 options:

1. Spend your savings. Even though you have constantly said you contribute to the family expenditure from your salary and this is your savings, there are too many deaf people hearing the sound of their own stvpidity to actually listen. So spend away my darling! Next year, hopefully when you are broke, come back to NL. You are a wife and mother, congratulations, you qualify for the Family Section Desperate People Association. Use this your moniker to open the thread "we are about to die, hunger, God, mother, baby, last N100, help us" as keywords. I will personally find every single person that encouraged you to spend and hound them till they either send you money or deactivate and use their 9 other monikers on NL.

2. Calm down. You have gotten good advice so go take a deep breath. This is your savings, and you were already contributing to the household from your salary. So you didn't do anything wrong except in not informing him. You guys should have both made it clear how much exactly you had, together. I believe you are Igbo, maybe Catholic so I'm surprised you didn't have to do that exercise in Marriage counselling (they ask you guys how much you have and explain your replies, forcing you to see everything as "our finances"wink. Both of you will grow, both of you have a lot to learn. I made some suggestions earlier and Thorpido aptly called them "Money Conversations". Start having them. It is not a challenge, it is a dialogue. These things take time and try and have this discussions not as a wife but as a partner. A wife has certain emotional expectations of her husband, same as a husband with his wife, a partner is more objective. A partner can see things rationally in a way a spouse won't be able to because of the contractual word "Marriage" and all the fineprint that comes on the contract.

So, does this sound like a plan? No need to carry the petrol and matches just yet.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Women And Abortion / The Best And Worst Places To Be A Woman / Pls Help My Sister!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.