Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils (95471 Views)

..... The Importance Of Mobil1 Engine Oil / Can Mobil1 Annual Protection Motor Oil Truly Give 20,000Miles/1Yr Of Protection? / Mobil1 5W 30 Fully Synthetic Oil Problems. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by brightnelly(f): 1:22am On Jul 06, 2017
autotrader2:

You can use the Toyota Motor Oil 5w30. Its made by ExxonMobil for Toyota. Its essentially mobil-1 packaged for Toyota

You can get it from me at a good rate, that's if you decide to use it wink
How much is please?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by autotrader2: 8:07am On Jul 06, 2017
brightnelly:

How much is please?

3k per litre and i give big discounts if you buy a carton of 12 litres
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by brightnelly(f): 9:38am On Jul 06, 2017
autotrader2:

3k per litre and i give big discounts if you buy a carton of 12 litres

I need 3 gallons of 4liters
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by autotrader2: 10:09am On Jul 06, 2017
brightnelly:

I need 3 gallons of 4liters

That means you need a carton of 12 litres. Call 09086679585 lets see if we can gve you a deal then
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 3:03am On Jul 15, 2017
Lawsuit: Dollar General motor oil not safe for cars newer than 1980s
By Carol Christian, Chron.com / Houston Chronicle

Published 3:53 pm, Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Photo: Christian, Carol, U.S. District Court: Michael Deck V. Dollar General Corporation

Michael Deck of Houston filed a lawsuit Dec. 21, 2015, in U.S. District Court against Dollar General Corporation, alleging that the company's motor oils are obsolete and it engages in deceptive and misleading ...
A Houston man has filed a class-action lawsuit in federal court against Dollar General, claiming that the company sells a line of motor oils that are unsuitable for today's cars.
Michael Deck filed the suit Monday in U.S. District Court in Houston against the Tennessee-based corporation that does business in Texas as Dolgencorp of Texas.
Dollar General is a "discount retailer focused on low and fixed-income consumers in small markets," according to the complaint.
As of January, Dollar General operated about 12,200 stores in 43 states, including 1,246 stores in Texas, the complaint states.
In addition to selling name brand and generic merchandise, Dollar General sells its own line of products under the name DG.
Its DG Auto line consists of three types of motor oil: DG SAE 10W30, DG SAE 10W-40 and DG SAE-30. The complaint alleges that the motor oils are obsolete, fail to protect and can damage "modern-day" automobiles.
"Dollar General engages in the unfair, unlawful, deceptive and fraudulent practice of marketing, selling and causing to be manufactured, obsolete motor oil without adequately warning that its product is unsuitable for, and can harm, the vehicles driven by the overwhelming majority of Dollar General's customers (and the public at large)," Deck's complaint states.
While the front label of the 10W-30 and 10W-40 motor oil containers states that the product "Lubricates and protects your engine," the back label carries the "small print" statement, "not suitable for use in most gasoline powered automotive engines built after 1988."
The label on the back of the DG SAE container states that it is "not suitable for use in most gasoline powered automotive engines built after 1930," the complaint states.
Moreover, the suit states, Dollar General "further disguises the obsolete and harmful nature" of its motor oils by placing them on shelves next to various other motor oils, such as PEAK, Pennzoil and Castrol, that are suitable for modern vehicles.
The suit accuses the company of engaging in deceptive trade practices and seeks unspecified damages
Deck is represented by Houston attorney David W. Pace as well as Allan Kanner, Conlee Whiteley and Cynthia St. Amant of the Kanner & Whiteley law firm in New Orleans.
The company did not immediately respond Tuesday to a request for comment.

My comments. When are we going to sue our oil companies selling obsolete oils. This US company even put a warning sign on the bottle but our own companies will tell you that SAE 40 is an high performance engine oil.

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 3:18am On Jul 15, 2017
Why are Obsolete Motor Oils Still on the Shelves?
The Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) recently visited a Dollar General not far from our office in central New Jersey. Understanding Dollar General operates 12,198 stores in 43 states as of July 31, 2015, it was interesting to see what motor oils they sell.

Whereas the store we visited offered a variety of brands, the Dollar General (DG) brand motor oil got our attention. And the reason it did is because the other motor oils on the shelves meet the current API SN Service Classification, the "DG" multi-viscosity motor oils do not. Instead, they meet an API "SF" Service Classification.

For those unfamiliar with API Service Classifications, "SF" is an obsolete API specification that defines the performance of motor oils formulated for use in cars built prior to 1988. Since that time, there have been six upgrades in motor oil standards.

In addition to the obsolete multigrades, PQIA took a look at the DG SAE 30 motor oil on the shelves. This product reaches back even further into the world of obsolete motor oils in that it meets only an API SA Service Classification. This is a specification for cars built prior to 1930, over 85 years ago.

While to Dollar General's credit, the back labels on the products include a cautionary statement about their limited use, one has to wonder why its private label motor oils only meet performance specifications that have been officially put out to pasture decades ago? Further, are consumers aware that these motor oils are obsolete when they see them sitting side-by-side with others formulated for use in cars currently on the road?

Where it is anyone's guess as to why Dollar General made the decision to stock its shelves with obsolete motor oil bearing the Dollar General (DG) brand name, consumers are advised to read the front and back labels when buying motor at any retail store. Look for the API Service Classification and viscosity grade to be sure the motor oil you buy is right for your car. And always read the labels carefully.

Total Oando Forte Conoil Mobil and Co, why are you still selling obsolete oils? SON is an accomplice. They are the agency encouraging these companies to sell junk to us. None of these companies sell any ILSAC 5 compliant oil. None

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by elpiro: 8:02am On Jul 15, 2017
hello,
what is the recommended oil for Mitsubishi L200 4x4 truck, 2015 model? I can't seem to find it on the manual
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by anneki(m): 1:30am On Jul 18, 2017
sooperrescue:

Coastal is good. The Motocraft recommended is mostly found as synthetic blend. But I dont know the alternative ATF that you are talking about. Ford is very delicate when it comes to their transmission and it is advisable to use Mercon V or its equivalent which are superior fluids that can handle Mercon LV like Syngard .Servicing of your car is 6 months even with Coastal. It is an API SN better than the local labels

Careful. Car owner might be spending a lot of time in traffic. Six months of normal / highway miles isnt the same as six months of normal / stop and go traffic.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by anneki(m): 2:08am On Jul 18, 2017
LeJeun3:

Thinking of investing in Royal Purple Oils.......... What is your take on this!?

Top 5 Synthetic Oils for 2017

1. Royal Purple 36520-6PK HPS 5W-20 Synthetic Oil Review. When you speak of synthetic oils, one of the most respected brands is perhaps Royal Purple. ...
2. Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic Oil Review. ...
3. Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 Motor Oil Review. ...
4. Castrol 03087-3PK Oil Review. ...
5. Valvoline 787007 SAE 5W-30 Oil Review.

http://www.researchcore.org/todays-best-synthetic-motor-oil-reviews/

Royal purple is made from Group 4 base stock. Higher base stock than all the others on your list. Very good oil. But is it for business or personal use ?

With the present exchange rate rate until it is mainstream for the general motoring public to accept and pay prices of N12,000 for mineral oil and N15,000 - N23,000 for synthetic blends and full synthetic oils the odds are stacked against people venturing into this as a business.

2 yrs ago there were quite a number of brands of oil with 5w-20 and 5w-30 offerings. Today how many can we see ? . Most people have ceased to import. The margins are too either slim for the business to grow or the volume sales are none existent.

We have a huge motoring public but how many of them end up buying even with all the awareness being created ? There are too many hurdles to cross with the average motorist who on one hand is uninformed and on the other skeptical of advice received from a non-mechanic. Enlightened mechanics constantly complain of the difficulties they face when convincing motorists on the right oils to use. All that changes once the car spoils and the car owner accepts that wrong oil was the culprit.

Look at your numbers again and take the plunge with Royal Purple if it makes sense.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by LeJeun3: 2:12am On Jul 18, 2017

Wise words!

anneki:

Royal purple is made from Group 4 base stock. Very good oil. But is it for business or personal use ?

With the present exchange rate rate until it is mainstream for the general motoring public to accept and pay prices of N12,000 for mineral oil and N15,000 - N23,000 for synthetic blends and full synthetic oils the odds are stacked against people venturing into this as a business.

2 yrs ago there were quite a number of brands of oil with 5w-20 and 5w-30 offerings. Today how many can we see ? . Most people have ceased to import. The margins are too either slim for the business to grow or the volume sales are none existent.

We have a huge motoring public but how many of them end up buying even with all the awareness being created ? There are too many hurdles to cross with the average motorist who on one hand is uninformed and on the other skeptical of advice received from a non-mechanic. Even enlightened mechanics have a tough time convincing motorists on the right oils to use. All that changes once the car spoils and the car owner accepts that wrong oil was the culprit.

Look at your numbers again and take the plunge if it makes sense.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by ocheboy(m): 3:35pm On Aug 14, 2017
Met with Sooperrescue a while back and bought oil for my Peugeot 807 gearbox. Glad I didn't listen to the Lion King. transmission is silky smooth.

Thanks for the advice @Sooperrescue!

My Blue Pug is back on the road!

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by hapheeyxz: 2:37pm On Aug 18, 2017
sooperrescue:

Why are Obsolete Motor Oils Still on the Shelves?
The Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) recently visited a Dollar General not far from our office in central New Jersey. Understanding Dollar General operates 12,198 stores in 43 states as of July 31, 2015, it was interesting to see what motor oils they sell.

Whereas the store we visited offered a variety of brands, the Dollar General (DG) brand motor oil got our attention. And the reason it did is because the other motor oils on the shelves meet the current API SN Service Classification, the "DG" multi-viscosity motor oils do not. Instead, they meet an API "SF" Service Classification.

For those unfamiliar with API Service Classifications, "SF" is an obsolete API specification that defines the performance of motor oils formulated for use in cars built prior to 1988. Since that time, there have been six upgrades in motor oil standards.

In addition to the obsolete multigrades, PQIA took a look at the DG SAE 30 motor oil on the shelves. This product reaches back even further into the world of obsolete motor oils in that it meets only an API SA Service Classification. This is a specification for cars built prior to 1930, over 85 years ago.

While to Dollar General's credit, the back labels on the products include a cautionary statement about their limited use, one has to wonder why its private label motor oils only meet performance specifications that have been officially put out to pasture decades ago? Further, are consumers aware that these motor oils are obsolete when they see them sitting side-by-side with others formulated for use in cars currently on the road?

Where it is anyone's guess as to why Dollar General made the decision to stock its shelves with obsolete motor oil bearing the Dollar General (DG) brand name, consumers are advised to read the front and back labels when buying motor at any retail store. Look for the API Service Classification and viscosity grade to be sure the motor oil you buy is right for your car. And always read the labels carefully.

Total Oando Forte Conoil Mobil and Co, why are you still selling obsolete oils? SON is an accomplice. They are the agency encouraging these companies to sell junk to us. None of these companies sell any ILSAC 5 compliant oil. None
Please sir..... Is visco 2000 ok for my 2002 benz e320?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by kingreign(m): 2:57pm On Aug 18, 2017
hapheeyxz:

Please sir..... Is visco 2000 ok for my 2002 benz e320?

even for a keke, that oil is poisonous. Use manufacturers recommend engine oil except you've been using any random oil prior to now.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by hapheeyxz: 3:05pm On Aug 18, 2017
kingreign:

even for a keke, that oil is poisonous. Use manufacturers recommend engine oil except you've been using any random oil prior to now.
Apart from mobil 1... Please which other one can u recommend.. Na money cause am o abeg.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 9:09pm On Aug 18, 2017
Mercedes e320 using visco 2000? Lack of Money should not make you use a non oil. Mobil one on that Eclass will create a lot of sludge. Hook up to genuine oil sellers on nairaland. You will be glad you did.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 26, 2017
hapheeyxz:

Apart from mobil 1... Please which other one can u recommend.. Na money cause am o abeg.
Only Mobil1 buy from Gazzuzz it is very cheap... Or use liquimolly
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by greatrexlaw: 10:37pm On Sep 28, 2017
@sooperrescue kindly advice: In view of your opinions as regarding engine oil usage for various cars in Nigeria, can I use oando oleum synth 5w-40 for my 2001 Honda Accord 2.3L EX engine? though 5w-20 is manufacturer's spec. considering the hot climate in Nigeria. ASAP
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by greatrexlaw: 10:46pm On Sep 28, 2017
@sooperrescue which engine oil brand presently in our local market that is ILSAC-5 compliant? very vital info. to note.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 2:52am On Sep 29, 2017
greatrexlaw:
@sooperrescue which engine oil brand presently in our local market that is ILSAC-5 compliant? very vital info. to note.
I can't recall if Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is Ilsac 5 compliant but I know that no locally produced oil is ILSAC 5 compliant. I once went to the office of the importer of Castrol who sells 5w20 professionel which is a very dangerous oil because it is deceptive to the owners of the vehicles that requires 5w20. The oil is an ILSAC 3 compliant and many people will look at the name and specification and forget the ILSAC aspect. For your car. use the Castrol professionel. It is an SL and it is ideal for your car. Oando sent me their recent report on the SYN oil and everything looks good on paper. The only thing that I could not say was if the oil for the analysis was taken from their imported oil in drums or their locally blended syn in gallon. That oil in gallons is where I am concerned about. Their local blending capacity as per quality control and assurance has a question mark.. I recently saw that they have upgraded their ATF Dex 111 to Dexron 111 H and I was wondering how can it be? I have used that oil on a Mercedes Benz ML 1999 and the result was an erratic shift until we drained it and use GARD, an American Dex 111 which resolved the matter.
I was just going through the website of Mobil in Germany and discovered that they dont even sell 20w50 in Mobil super. They sell synthetic in Super but here we get 20w50 as hxp and the worst oil, Mobil special . The popular Mobil 1 0w40 has been phased out for another 0w40 with an FS. Mobil Nigeria's website displays the American Mobil 1 but they dont even sell a drop of that oil here. The transmission fluid displayed on the website is not even sold here except their Dex 11e. Castrol, Mobil 1 US is sold locally. Get in touch with the sellers on Nairaland. The rate at which Nigerians are changing their engines in Japanese cars is alarming. The number 1 cause is the engine oil. Whether you are in Alska or the moon, the weather does not affect the engine oil specified by the manufacturers.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by purespikes: 1:37pm On Nov 16, 2017
This write up is quite informative but lengthy. Let me as directly, what specs if engine oil should I look out for with regards to these vehicks;
2012 Toyota
2009 Honda Accord
2008 Nissan Altima
2009 Toyota Highlander.
The all use 5W 20.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 2:05pm On Nov 16, 2017
The only oil i can recommend is mobil 1 usa 5 w 20. There are many sellers on Nairaland. No Nigerian oil is suitable for these cars. None

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 30, 2017
sooperrescue:
The only oil i can recommend is mobil 1 usa 5 w 20. There are many sellers on Nairaland. No Nigerian oil is suitable for these cars. None
Bro all Nigerian oils are suitable even a-z.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 11:09am On Nov 30, 2017
That is true. Ladipo guys are always smilling because of frequent engine replacements.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 30, 2017
A-Z is one of the best oils in the Nigerian market!
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 2:41pm On Nov 30, 2017
angels09:
A-Z is one of the best oils in the Nigerian market!

No one is disputing that. A-Z oil, I remember their office at Old Ojo road years back and I was doing a study on all transmission fluids in the country. AZ then had Dexron 11d and I dont know if they have upgraded to Dexron 6. All their oils are obsolete. I also remember their Abuja office and one of my boys was operating a workshop there. That oil was among the issues that drove Mercedes Vboot into extinction. The fact that it has SON sticker does not mean anything. Apart from their SAE40 and 20w50, what else do they sell and please try also to state the API classification for all their oils.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by johnwell(m): 12:10pm On Dec 03, 2017
sooperrescue:

No one is disputing that. A-Z oil, I remember their office at Old Ojo road years back and I was doing a study on all transmission fluids in the country. AZ then had Dexron 11d and I dont know if they have upgraded to Dexron 6. All their oils are obsolete. I also remember their Abuja office and one of my boys was operating a workshop there. That oil was among the issues that drove Mercedes Vboot into extinction. The fact that it has SON sticker does not mean anything. Apart from their SAE40 and 20w50, what else do they sell and please try also to state the API classification for all their oils.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by johnwell(m): 12:12pm On Dec 03, 2017
sooperrescue:

Happy Sunday,
Please what Engine oil can I use for my Toyota 4Runner 2011 SR5?

Thanks
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by autotrader2: 2:28pm On Dec 03, 2017
johnwell:

Happy Sunday,
Please what Engine oil can I use for my Toyota 4Runner 2011 SR5?

Thanks

Genuine Toyota Motor Oil 5w20 or 0w20

Call 09086679585 to get it.

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by scarplanet(m): 11:02pm On Dec 03, 2017
I use Total quartz 5000 engine oil for my honda civic and it has been serving well for almost 2 years now... besides I change the oil every 3 months or 1300 miles (whichever comes first)..

Are u guys also saying the quartz 5000 isn't an ideal engine oil? Opinions/suggestions needed
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 12:52am On Dec 04, 2017
Q5000 is an Api sl 20w50. If your car is below 2004, it might be ok based on your service history and methods but if Honda says use 5 w30 and you decide otherwise, whatever you see, then you get. The weight of the oil is heavier than the recommended weight. If you are using your service methods, you will find out that you are changing your oil four times a year and when you use the recommended oil, you will service your car only twice a year with spillover into the new year and you get better engine performance, no engine high temperature and better fuel economy.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by snipesdam(m): 12:22pm On Dec 04, 2017
Has anyone here tried forte oil Advance Full synthetic Oil? its sold @about 11k to 13k 4ltrs
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by helpishere(m): 7:09pm On Dec 04, 2017
snipesdam:
Has anyone here tried forte oil Advance Full synthetic Oil? its sold @about 11k to 13k 4ltrs
Is am hearing about it for the first time. I hope it works for all cars

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

The Best Of IVM Motors (Innoson Motors) / I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car / David Baka Designs Logo For Innoson Vehicles, Nigerians React

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.