Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,122 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils (95505 Views)

..... The Importance Of Mobil1 Engine Oil / Can Mobil1 Annual Protection Motor Oil Truly Give 20,000Miles/1Yr Of Protection? / Mobil1 5W 30 Fully Synthetic Oil Problems. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dollarnaira: 12:10pm On Apr 19, 2018
sooperrescue:
I am not against our made in naija oils. In fact we dont have made in naija oils except the visco that you use. These companies have and r and d unit and if I want to provide oil for a market, I should look for the one that will suit the market. Peugeot recommends Total oil but that oil recommended by Peugeot does not exist in Nigeria. So people use the Total oil that is available and it destroys the engines. Toyota USA recommends 0w20 for the engines and for all weather, all weather and you bring it to Naija and use 20w50. Unless you dont trust the manufacturer, then follow your mechanic. I once used Oando SM20w50 api sl on my range rover sport and the wahala I had made Oando staff to admonish me for using that oil. People are buying engines all the time and we have not bothered to find out the root cause. It was PAN engineer that told me to inform people to use Mobil 1 esp for the new generation of Peugeot cars but meanwhile the sticker recommending Total is still on the car. The oils sold by Total in France, it is not available in Nigeria. There are classifications of oil and if you can check Honda and Toyota, they want you to use 0w20. Is it available locally? Why cant Oando produce 0w20 since the current cars requires the oil? It is only recently they brought out 5w30 when even a honda accord 09 requires 5w20. Are they for us or against us? I told Forte oil manager to put a caveat informing motorists the Visco 2000 is an api sl and not suitable for cars above 2004, he said it is not possible. Mobil said that they are selling those oils because Nigerians are poor and they cant afford the right oils for their cars. You did not see me holding a gun to force anyone not to buy obsolete oils but do not say no one told you.

Bros are u saying cars below 2004 can use 20w50?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dollarnaira: 12:16pm On Apr 19, 2018
Most Nigerians buy old used cars with no auto history so dont blame all faulty engines to choice of engine oil.
Call out Nigerians dat can boast of new cars probably 2%.Poor maintenance,usage,AGE OF ENGINE,etc are also culprit.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by nurey(m): 12:19pm On Apr 19, 2018
dollarnaira:

Who on earth did not know dat engine oil lubricates but all u could pick up is 40 degrees.Guy u amazed me.Can i ask if your siena was bought new?

then stop saying what you don't know. my sienna was bought with 300k km, I have been using MRS 5W40 since it was bought and my engine still steams in the morning.

use the recommended manufacturer oil nd have peace of mind, my engine oil is always golden brown even after using it for 8k km or 6months.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by thebigkendo(m): 12:22pm On Apr 19, 2018
nurey:

then stop saying what you don't know. my sienna was bought with 300k km, I have been using MRS 5W40 since it was bought and my engine still steams in the morning.

use the recommended manufacturer oil nd have peace of mind, my engine oil is always golden brown even after using it for 8k km or 6months.

Bros Contradiction!!!!!
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by nurey(m): 12:24pm On Apr 19, 2018
sooperrescue:

Honestly I have not seen that oil. The last time I went there, I saw that they sell 20w50 api Sm which was the highest in its category. I will look for the oil. The last time I really fancied that brand was when it was Twxaco. As at 2008, they were the only one selling dexron 111 imported from Belgium. But sadly MR left and abandoned MRS, it is a sad story to tell

they have
5W40 full synthetic and 10W40 semi synthetic, I have been using the 5W40 for a 2000 sienna (4yrs+), Honda accord 06 (2yrs+) and corolla 03 (3months) and I have not had engine issues in any of those carsn no sludge.

the dextron 3 you talked about was the texaco texamatic 1075e or there about which I have been running in my sienna for 2 years or less now unfortunately it's not available again they now have their own branded dextron 3 which I can't verify the quality
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 12:27pm On Apr 19, 2018
dollarnaira:

Bros are u saying cars below 2004 can use 20w50?
No. The oil was made for those that want an alternative but as at 1999 honda baby boy recommends 5w20 sj for their cars and even uptill 2006, Toyota recommended 5w30 api sl for their engines. Like Mobil stated, poor Nigerians needs to be assisted with obsolete oils for their cars. The crazy thing now is that people are using Total q5000 api sl on their 17m naira Toyota Corolla. Is that not absurd? I also spoke with an elizade workshop manager and he confirmed it. But on the manual, it is stated that 0w20 oil covers all weather and all countries. I think that there is a conspiracy to destroy these cars for more to be sold. The good thing is that it is only companies that buys these cars and give it to their staff. When I was in Total, two incidents occur. A 2009 corolla was detected to have a defective gear box by rtbriscoe. The car was owned by a Total staff who brought it to me. I only drained the oil and changed the filter and the gear was ok. Another Total staff had an eod which he used total fluide 11d. He drove the car to the bay but the gear refused to select after the service. They started looking for me and we had to repair the gearbox and used our syngard dex 6 which put the car back on the road. He was happy and claimed that he did not know that Total lubricant cannot work on a 2003 EOD. Infact the only 5otal or Oando lubricant that can work on a 2003 EOD as at last year is their brake fluid. Nothing else
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dollarnaira: 12:29pm On Apr 19, 2018
From nissan manual.Get your manual too.

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by nurey(m): 12:30pm On Apr 19, 2018
thebigkendo:

Bros Contradiction!!!!!

not really, when selecting engine oil, the first number in the series is most importnt, the number after the W is relative.
toyota say 5W30 and I utilize 5W40, I m still highly on track.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by nurey(m): 12:35pm On Apr 19, 2018
dollarnaira:

I have used a nissan before, please don't ever, I repeat don't ever utilize 20W50 for a nissan with timing chain, timing belt, you can go scot free but timing chain, the repairs can be expensive and time consuming or total disaster depending on the mechanics knowledge on nissan
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dollarnaira: 12:36pm On Apr 19, 2018
nurey:

So now u can say "recommended" am out jor.See d chart above by nissan.So dont condemn SAE 20w50 if it is d recommended oil of another branded car/vehicle.Ok?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 12:38pm On Apr 19, 2018
nurey:

the dextron 3 you talked about was the texaco texamatic 1075e or there about which I have been running in my sienna for 2 years or less now unfortunately it's not available again they now have their own branded dextron 3 which I can't verify the quality
Yes, that was the oil. The best dexron iii from Europe then. The MRS version is not the same quality as that of Texaco. They used to sell it side by side then. The wrapper used on the texaco atf can even buy the dexron iii produced by MRS. I will use this week to find out more on the synthetic oil of Mrs synthetic
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by nurey(m): 12:41pm On Apr 19, 2018
dollarnaira:

So now u can say "recommended" am out jor.See d chart above by nissan.So dont condemn SAE 20w50 if it is d recommended oil of another branded car/vehicle.Ok?

you can force a camel to the stream but you can never force it to drink water.

we will always give advice and try to educate people just to satisfy our conscience. the op opened this thread to keep people informed, whether to take the information with a pinch of salt, is left to the people.

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by thebigkendo(m): 12:57pm On Apr 19, 2018
nurey:

not really, when selecting engine oil, the first number in the series is most importnt, the number after the W is relative.
toyota say recommends 5W30 and I utilize 5W40, I m still highly on track.

Hahaha funny you.. still another contradiction... Toyota actually recommends 5w-30 or 10w-30 for your sienna... 5w-30 is different from 5w-40. Even though difference might not be much, but difference still dey and the fact that's you use it & all is fine.. Doesn't make it the right oil.. I use 5w-30 instead of 5w-20 on my Honda.. But I will not argue or tell anybody 5w-30 is the recommended oil.

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 12:58pm On Apr 19, 2018
dollarnaira:
From the chart, you can see that 5w30 is all weather, whether it is snow of hot sun, 5w30 is the oil to use and there are sequence to follow like 10w30 but you cant use 20w50 .
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dollarnaira: 1:03pm On Apr 19, 2018
thebigkendo:

Hahaha funny you.. still another contradiction... Toyota actually recommends 5w-30 or 10w-30 for your sienna... 5w-30 is different from 5w-40. Even though difference might not be much, but difference still dey and the fact that's you use it & all is fine.. Doesn't make it the right oil.. I use 5w-30 instead of 5w-20 on my Honda.. But I will not argue or tell anybody 5w-30 is the recommended oil.
Exactly

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 1:03pm On Apr 19, 2018
thebigkendo:

You are right. 5w30 is not the same as 5w40. There is the sticker \ gasoline cars only/ and energy conserving which you will never find on a 5w40. 5w40 can be used for diesel and gasoline engines and as such does not have the same characteristics as the 5w30

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dollarnaira: 1:17pm On Apr 19, 2018
The charts above say it all
Temperature region matters a lot too in choosing oil.
Nigeria temperature cannot freeze our oil.It is only applicable to cold countries.Note pls
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by nurey(m): 1:23pm On Apr 19, 2018
thebigkendo:

I never said 5W30 is same as 5W40. the Wxx is winter rating. the most important number is the first one before the winter rating indicating the flow capability of an engine oil after heating to the desired temperature.

for Nigeria, I would advice 5w30 over 5w20. my brother inlaw switched from Mobil 0w20 to MRS 5w40 when his 06 accord started shorting oil when the mileage reached 150k km

1 Like

Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by nurey(m): 1:29pm On Apr 19, 2018
dollarnaira:
Nigeria temperature cannot freeze our oil.It is only applicable to cold countries.Note pls

haaaaaa the number after W is for winter (cold) the one before has to do with flowability at a recommended hot temperature.

groundnut oil is different from palm oil grin both are oil but their thickness aand flowbility in soup is different.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by sooperrescue(m): 1:30pm On Apr 19, 2018
[quote

for Nigeria, I would advice 5w30 over 5w20. my brother inlaw switched from Mobil 0w20 to MRS 5w40 when his 06 accord started shorting oil when the mileage reached 150k km[/quote]

Is there still oil shortage with MRS? If the mobil does not work, he should change to other brands. I have unimark 5w20 that I use and it is the best that i have seen. Quiet, and long lasting
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by thebigkendo(m): 1:34pm On Apr 19, 2018
dollarnaira:

Are you related to Dancok or legalwealth ?? grin grin
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by nurey(m): 1:49pm On Apr 19, 2018
[quote author=sooperrescue post=66847666][/quote]

no oil shortage anymore, the Mobil is 4L while the MRS is 5L.

the problem I think might be him, he pours all 4L into the engine leaving no room for expansion. I have told him several times but he won't listen.

the oil was seeping from externally through top seals but has been fixed.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dollarnaira: 1:51pm On Apr 19, 2018
thebigkendo:

Are you related to Dancok or legalwealth ?? grin grin

Meaning?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by thebigkendo(m): 2:24pm On Apr 19, 2018
dollarnaira:

Meaning?

Dancok is very resilient and never back down grin grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/4122018/pls-car-restorable-what-likely

Legalwealth is a master on Engine oil Technology

https://www.nairaland.com/4375589/it-safe-top-up-engine-oil#65493683

cc Timifakay GAZZUZZ diportivo
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dollarnaira: 2:29pm On Apr 19, 2018
nurey:

the problem I think might be him, he pours all 4L into the engine leaving no room for expansion. I have told him several times but he won't listen.

Please wat is d implication of filling up engine oil with all 4L?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by nurey(m): 3:38pm On Apr 19, 2018
dollarnaira:

Please wat is d implication of filling up engine oil with all 4L?

his vehicle is a 4cylinder engine and total engine oil volume is 3.5 to 3.8L depends on oil change/replacement used, when you over fill and oil becomes hot, it expands hence more pressure on cylinder walls (in this case engine walls) after math is oil leakage through external seals
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dollarnaira: 4:35pm On Apr 19, 2018
nurey:

his vehicle is a 4cylinder engine and total engine oil volume is 3.5 to 3.8L depends on oil change/replacement used, when you over fill and oil becomes hot, it expands hence more pressure on cylinder walls (in this case engine walls) after math is oil leakage through external seals

Thanks bro.So indirectly d oil leakages through the external seals will eventually STOP as soon as excess oil leaves right?
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by thebigkendo(m): 4:59pm On Apr 19, 2018
nurey:

nurey:

I think his problem was somewhere else, 4L engine oil is not overfilling for 7th gen Accord, I use the same Honda and the according to the user manual, the engine oil capacity is 4.2L.. i am assuming oil change is with oil filter..
I use around 4.4 - 4.5quart(4.25L) when servicing mine and it guages at a little below the Max line
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by nurey(m): 5:42pm On Apr 19, 2018
thebigkendo:

I think his problem was somewhere else, 4L engine oil is not overfilling for 7th gen Accord, I use the same Honda and the according to the user manual, the engine oil capacity is 4.2L.. i am assuming oil change is with oil filter..
I use around 4.4 - 4.5quart(4.25L) when servicing mine and it guages at a little below the Max line

is yours drive by wire? because from manufcturer stats the engine oil capacity is 4.2 I think he uses 5L instead becaause at cold sef the guage is always above the maximum mark
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by nurey(m): 5:44pm On Apr 19, 2018
dollarnaira:

Thanks bro.So indirectly d oil leakages through the external seals will eventually STOP as soon as excess oil leaves right?

no, continous oil leaks as the oil isn't stable, it will continue to leak from there until the seal is fixed.
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by thebigkendo(m): 6:11pm On Apr 19, 2018
nurey:

is yours drive by wire? because from manufcturer stats the engine oil capacity is 4.2 I think he uses 5L instead becaause at cold sef the guage is always above the maximum mark

Yeah mine is drive by wire, For it to be above the max mark.. He probably used 5L
Re: Total, Forte, Conoil,oando, Mobil1 And MRS Synthetics Oils by dollarnaira: 6:22pm On Apr 19, 2018
nurey:

no, continous oil leaks as the oil isn't stable, it will continue to leak from there until the seal is fixed.

Thanks bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (36) (Reply)

The Best Of IVM Motors (Innoson Motors) / I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car / David Baka Designs Logo For Innoson Vehicles, Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.