Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,674 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today (23989 Views)

Igbos Abandoned Philip Effiong Who Died A Biafra Rebel, Ojukwu Rewarded - Ekefre / Buhari, Yahaya Bello, Ikpeazu & Others Honored At Daily Times 91st Anniversary / Ipob Replies Obong Attah : You Are Clueless,remember Philip Effiong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 1:02am On Nov 19, 2016
pazienza:

He is not being divisive. He is being true to his Afonjaic nature. He can't help it. Just debunk his falsehood, and leave him to his demons. You can't save him, these people are irredeemable.

I don't believe that all Yorubas are like that, in fact, I don't even believe that most of them are like that. There's just a few of them that are so obsessed with the Igbos that they cannot stop themselves from poking their noses into Igbo affairs. It truly is a worrying trend that we're seeing on this site.

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 1:15am On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

I don't believe that all Yorubas are like that, in fact, I don't even believe that most of them are like that. There's just a few of them that are so obsessed about the Igbos that they cannot stop themselves from poking their noses into Igbo affairs. It truly is a worrying trend that we're seeing on this site.

You better believe they are all like that. Atleast majority of them.

Not accepting that fact was part of Ojukwu undoing.
He trusted too many Afonjas. Awo, Banjo, Aluko and they all played a big part in his failure.

What you see in internet is the true pic of things. In the real world, they all hide it well. The apparent anonymity internet offers, gives people more freedom to bare things hidden in the deepest part of their heart, things ordinarily they wouldn't express in real world for fear of losing some gains.

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 1:33am On Nov 19, 2016
pazienza:

You better believe they are all like that. Atleast majority of them.

Not accepting that fact was part of Ojukwu undoing.
He trusted too many Afonjas. Awo, Banjo, Aluko and they all played a big part in his failure.

What you see in internet is the true pic of things. In the real world, they all hide it well. The apparent anonymity internet offers, gives people more freedom to bare things hidden in the deepest part of their heart, things ordinarily they wouldn't express in real world for fear of losing some gains.

That's a scary thought... I acknowledge that most Nigerians are prejudiced towards Igbo people in some way or the other but I would rather return their hatred with indifference than anything else tbf. I'm only really interested in the affairs of our people.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 1:42am On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

That's a scary thought... I acknowledge that most Nigerians are prejudiced towards Igbo people in some way or the other but I would rather return their hatred with indifference than anything else tbf. I'm only really interested in the affairs of our people.

That was the mistake our fore runners made.

Igbophobia was brewing all over the country throughout the 60's, with Yoruba,Arewa, Edo elements even taking theirs to the news, yet not for once did our elites counter them.

They felt they could just focus on Ndiigbo, you know, pretend like all was well.
Well it wasn't well. All it took was Nzeogwu coup for them all to unleash years of bottled Igbophobia on innocent Igbos.

Never again! angry

Every hate speech directed towards Ndiigbo by these creatures of hate,every wrong impression, falsehoods, mis representations MUST be returned ten times with more venom and caustic elements by Ndiigbo to them. All their lies must be debunked and exposed as lies before they even take hold.

It's a duty we owe the future Igbo generation.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by berrystunn(m): 1:46am On Nov 19, 2016
KelleneOkonkwo:

Okanga, I can feed the whole ijele for 50 years non stop. I am not your level, poverty is even your best friend.

And yet you dont have noting
Still on rent... To renew your rent is always a problem
Stop fooling your self...

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 2:34am On Nov 19, 2016
(1) "Among the large majority hailing from that tribe (Yorubas) who are most vocal in inciting the complete extermination of the Ibos, I often heard remarks that all Nigeria s ills will be cured once the Ibos have been removed ..." Dr Conor Cruise O'Bien (21 December, 1967, New York review).

Ngozi123, that's for your digestion.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KelleneOkonkwo: 5:59am On Nov 19, 2016
[s]
pazienza:

Lol!
I don't know who you are, but obviously you know me, and has been following me around like a shadow, grin a hallmark of joblessness.

You wish I had left for good, for you to continue your afonjaic propaganda unchallenged? Lol! No luck with such.
I am a man of my own, a free man. I make decisions and I decide when to rescind on them, when doing so serves a greater purpose. That's what free men do, they don't take rat poison to escape their challenges, they take them on grin Something I don't expect an Afonja to relate to.

Messi recently went back on his retirement plans, for the greater good, it doesn't make him a coward, it made him a free man. But I guess when your entire life revolve around eternal servitude to your fulani masters...

[/s]

Bla bla bla. Ranting of a shameless fellow. While people are making good use of there time, you are boasting of wasting your own life on a site owned by an afonja you hate so much. You are running mad already and reason you still live with your parent at your old age. You and your people are the slaves not to the Fulani alone but to all tribe in Nigeria. Shameless thing.

6 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KelleneOkonkwo: 6:00am On Nov 19, 2016
berrystunn:

And yet you dont have noting
Still on rent... To renew your rent is always a problem
Stop fooling your self...

This one is just spewing nonsense everywhere. People that dont know you will think you living fine. Lmaoo. Poverty is already dealing with you, your ugly looks alone is making me cry for you. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KelleneOkonkwo: 6:02am On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:

Chisos! shocked ROFLMAO! grin The malt wey dey my hand just fall down, as laugh grip me when I read your reply. Take time, o! cheesy You just let me waste di money wey I take buy this malt...

Those chaps you mentioned were not the only heroes.

The real heroes were the casualties of that war who were dragged into battles they were not consulted about, or equipped to fight.cry

The real heroes were the innocent voices of reason that tried to talk Ojukwu out of settling scores by using arms, whose counsel he did not heed.

The real heroes were those who protested against the brutality they saw within Ojukwu's Eastern enclave during those 30 months of horror, but whose calls were not heeded. Instead he called them saboteurs & cut short their existence. sad

The real heroes were those who lost friends, brothers, relatives and loved ones in that war, but still managed to pick up the pieces of their lives with scars in their hearts. undecided

May time continue to heal their pain.

I agree with you. May their soul rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by shegra58: 6:49am On Nov 19, 2016
OJUcrook:
No that is not all. There is more to the story: Nnamdi Azikiwe was the one that composed the Biafran National anthem but he ran away from Biafra. Ojukwu was the one that declared Biafra but he also ran away from Biafra. All the Biafran leaders all ran away from Biafra after sending 3million civilians to the slaughter slab.

Of particular interest is Ojukwu, the Head-of-State of Biafra. While Biafran children were dieing of Kwarshiorkor and starvation, Ojukwu's own children were feeding fat and looking healthy. Ojukwu was never at the war front. He was hiding from one under ground bunker to another throughout the duration of the war.

When Enugu the capital of Biafra fell, Ojukwu ran away to Umuhia. When Umuhia fell, he ran deeper into the Biafra heartland. He was running all through the war until he eventually ran away to Abidjan. It is rumoured that while he was on exile in Ivory Coast, he lived comfortably in a sea side masion, eating the choicest delicacies and dancing Makossa daily with Abidjan girls
bravo I owe u a bottle of u water grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by omofunaab(m): 7:33am On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

Definition of a hero:
'a person, typically a man, who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.
"a war hero"'

If that was the case then why go to war and risk his life at all? If he truly cared more about himself than his people then why risk your family's wealth- a significant part of which was not returned to him btw. Why risk that comfy position as the leader of the Eastern region? It makes no sense to me?

I really do care about the little children who died during the war and those who were on the verge of dying. That is why I'm saying that his decision to leave was a good one. If he hadn't left, then one of these two things would have panned out, resulting in the same end. If he stayed and was assassinated by the Nigerian Army then there would have been riots and hundreds and maybe thousands more Igbo people, including children, would have died. If he stayed and somehow managed to find a good hiding spot in the then defunct country, the Nigerian Army would have scoured the whole of Biafraland just to find him, slaughtering many people in their wake. His decision may seem to some to be an act of cowardice but I believe that it actually saved a lot of innocent people's lives. It was a noble act.

See i get your point.

Your point is that, the life of ojukwu is more important than thousands of sick biafran children .and ojukwu needed to be saved abi

No worry you get mouth wella. .lol
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 10:56am On Nov 19, 2016
Here is another perspective on the Aburi Accord from an eye-witness;

WHY ABURI ACCORD FAILED, BY ASIODU |tnv THE NIGERIAN VOICE |

Q: You spoke about the coup, Ojukwu and the famous Aburi accord which tried to address some of these problems. What in your opinion led to the collapse of the Aburi Accord.

Asiodu: "You see unfortunately, the dramatist personae of the time, many of them have gone. Anything not founded on objectivity , transparency and truth cannot last. Somehow, Ojukwu persuaded Gowon that they were going to Aburi as gentlemen of the Nigerian Army to discuss certain things. Acknowledgement of what happened. Already, of course he knew that after the pogrom against Easterners, against Igbo in 1966, the Army, except in Lagos and the West had gone back to their places of origin. Now, no need bringing officials. So, guys we're going to talk as officers and gentlemen.

Of course Gowon did not inform his secretary to government. He did not tell anybody, until the eve of the day he was going. So, if you were going to a conference, you will normally say what is the agenda. You will prepare, with the assistance of the agenda. Think about them. Think about various scenarios, and go and discuss. That didn't happen.

"Lo and behold when they reached Aburi, there was Ojukwu with a battery of permanent secretaries and one of the most formidable intellect this country has ever produced, Dr Pius Okigbo. All in the delegation. Who went with Gowon? Nobody. Not even secretary to the government. None of the so-called permanent secretaries. And they went there and talked and said they reached agreement. He stepped down as supreme military commander and they talked about the divisions in the Nigerian army and if Nigeria was attacked, then they will consult and decide whether they are going to fight.
"https://www.thenigerianvoice.com/thread/12170/87243/1
Asiodu:"When they subjected this Aburi accord to simple analysis, it was simply saying Nigeria is no more practically. And as far as was concerned, the civil war or no civil war, then chaos would have started later. All the same, we said look, … if we still want to be a country….authority which deals with customs, currency, federal trunk roads, foreign and external defences, that is more than enough for a government. But it must be able to act.

You can not say that in the Ministry of Defence, you can not promote somebody a Lt Col, except you have a unanimity. You cannot move one plane to another place except through unanimity. Even when you have those limited powers, they must be able to function. And you cannot function in the context of those things they said. And then what you have is four countries.

Q:And the permanent secretaries vetoed it?
Asiodu: "No. The permanent secretary made analysis and said look, if you are really serious, if you say you are having Nigeria, you must have central function which must be fulfilled. There is no need saying this is central function and you cannot fulfill it. So, we analysed and said these were based on incorrect premises. People came with proper papers, well formulated. The other side just went thinking they were going to do initial breaking of the ice. Therefore, please try to reconcile this to ensure that we still have a country.

Gowon in fairness, vetoed that approach, and still proceeded to have decree number 8 of 1967. If you go and read that decree, and if the East had accepted that decree, there would have been no need for secession. Nigeria would have disintegrated within three months. And you can not move anybody without unanimity. You collect revenue, you cannot transfer it…"

Q: Decree 8 was an affirmation of Aburi accord?
Asiodu: It was an affirmation of the Aburi accord which gave the East under Ojukwu, more than 95 per cent of what Aburi meant. But because there were maybe one or two phrases which they didn't like, if they read that thing and it is still there, they have got what they wanted. But if was such, that hostilities would have broken out among four independent countries. Not one on one.

And I think, we don't have much time now. With the present challenges in the country and the lack of serious effort to address the issue, we may even be in worse position if we are not careful. Because, this time, it will not be federal versus Biafra, but among 110 million people. So we are going to end up with warlords, if authorities should finally break down and I appeal to God that we avoid that, by stopping all these jokes as if we can continue milking this country forever.

What we are doing is not sustainable. And the sooner we address, try to create a new national austerity programme, discipline ourselves, decide that we cannot be millionaires, billionaires in little islands with a whole ocean of poor wretched people, there would be this tsunami which will overwhelm all of us
.https://www.thenigerianvoice.com/thread/12170/87243/1
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 11:00am On Nov 19, 2016
A continuation of P.C Asiodu's interview concerning Decree 8 of 1967:

WHY ABURI ACCORD FAILED, BY ASIODU |tnv | THE NIGERIAN VOICE |

Asiodu: But coming back from what I was saying. Go and read decree 8, if we had implemented it - in three months, we would have had four independent states.

Q: Why was it not implemented?

Asiodu: "Because, it didn't satisfy the Easterners. The decree had been promulgated by Gowon. It was to be implemented then. But it was seen by Ojukwu as not being sufficient. I am saying that politics is something which has to be played with some tact. Sometimes my brothers there see black and white where there is immediately green in between. Sometimes, there is really no finesse in politics. They will think the reality is not important as how you get there. The reality was that Nigeria was finished under decree number 8. The reality is that although it was finished, they didn't proclaim 'we hereby dissolve Nigeria'. But that was of no effect. You go and read it. But it was rejected...." https://www.thenigerianvoice.com/thread/12170/87243/1

Asiodu: "Then few of us- Alison Ayida, late Aliu Martins, myself, Abdulaziz, who served in the East, 'we went to ask Ojukwu what is it you want so that we could prepare the ground for a meaningful conference, where every side would know what they are saying.' Eventually, just as Ojukwu was warming up to tell us what he wanted , so that we could have come back to Lagos, sell those ideas to Gowon, and see if we can reach agreement, C. C. Mojekwu came and broke up the meeting.

He destroyed that last chance, and we flew back empty handed. Before they started cooking up the Aburi, they went to with unequal preparation. But before then, General Gowon was only communicating with him as an officer. He did know that behind Ojukwu, people were working. So, we didn't want Ojukwu to get the wrong impression. In anyway, we then agreed that a letter be prepared, addressed from my house, signed by Alison Ayida,who was in Oxford (cuts in, he was in Oxford too?) at the same time? Two of us signed this letter trying to spell out to him the consequences of what will happen if secession was declared. That there would be war and if there is war, until you vanquished federal authority, you will not get recognition which will give you access to the sea, and so on.

I can be embittered. I can feel for my people. But I have a duty to make sure that every step I take, I have calculated all the scenarios and make sure that in the worst scenario , I am not taking them to a worst decision
. https://www.thenigerianvoice.com/thread/12170/87243/1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by gidgiddy: 11:19am On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:
A continuation of P.C Asiodu's interview concerning Decree 8 of 1967:

Theres are questions you need to answer. Why did Gowon abolish the regions and create states when he knew that that the Aburi agreement fobade him from doing this?

This talk that Ojukwu got 80%, 85%, 90% of what he wanted is nonsense.

Gowon threw the entire Aburi agreement out of the window when he announced the abolishment of the regions on the 26th of May 1967.

This forced Ojukwu to seceed.

I have to give it Philip Effiong, he was a loyal Soldier. I read his book "Biafra my story".

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 11:23am On Nov 19, 2016
pazienza:
(1) "Among the large majority hailing from that tribe (Yorubas) who are most vocal in inciting the complete extermination of the Ibos, I often heard remarks that all Nigeria s ills will be cured once the Ibos have been removed ..." Dr Conor Cruise O'Bien (21 December, 1967, New York review).

Ngozi123, that's for your digestion.

I feel absolutely disgusted by that comment; I am literally sickened by it. It completely contradicts the lies peddled across Nairaland and in real life that the Igbos were 'welcomed' into Yorubaland and were not treated harshly as they tried to go back home before the war. Thank you for this quote, I'll show it to anyone who wants to counteract this claim to me.

As for your other post, I agree that we should spend a portion of our time debunking the lies peddled about us as, as we've seen in the past, they can have fatal consequences. But our number one focus should be on improving and uniting ourselves as a nation (Igbo Nation) and looking for effective ways to break ties with Nigeria once and for all. That's what I mean when I say that I'm indifferent towards them. Our children should be taught their history and the treatment of their forefathers by these so called 'friendly' tribes but we mustn't let it define them. Where has the hatred for the Igbos taken Nigeria?

As you said, we must debunk their lies but we must also completely separate ourselves from Nigeria both physically and mentally speaking.

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 11:26am On Nov 19, 2016
gidgiddy:
Theres are questions you need to answer. Why did Gowon abolish the regions and create states when he knew that that the Aburi agreement fobade him from doing this?

This talk that Ojukwu got 80%, 85%, 90% of what he wanted is nonsense.

Gowon threw the entire Aburi agreement out of the window when he announced the abolishment of the regions on the 26th of May 1967.

This forced Ojukwu to seceed.

I have to give it Philip Effiong, he was a loyal Soldier. I read his book "Biafra my story".

Go back to the archives and read up on the events that led to the promulgation of Decree 8 of 1967. Do so with an open mind. Conduct your own independent, unbiased research - don't rely on hearsay and propaganda that claims Gowon threw Aburi out of the window. When you have done that with an objective perspective, you can then come back here to talk.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 11:34am On Nov 19, 2016
Hehehe..... NL is so interesting. wink By their comments, ye shall know them. One oyinbo writer recounts a remark he heard from a small cross-section of an ethnic group, during a civil war when emotions were high and passions were inflamed. One simpleton recycles it here. And another cohort of his, decides that it is the gospel truth that defines every single member of that ethnic group. I laugh in Greek. cheesy

The South-Westerners that kept the rents that accrued from the property of the Igbo in Lagos during the civil war, and returned it to them, were obviously not part of the ethnic group the oyinbo writer was referring to. undecided #JustlaughingoutLoud

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by gidgiddy: 11:38am On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:

Go back to the archives and read up on the events that led to the promulgation of Decree 8 of 1967. Do so with an open mind. Conduct your own independent, unbiased research - don't rely on hearsay and propaganda that claims Gowon threw Aburi out of the window. When you have done that with an objective perspective, you can then come back here to talk.

If you cant answer a simple question then say you cant answer.

The Aburi agreement clearly stated that if any major decision on the future of Nigeria was to be made, Gowon had to first seek the concurance of all 4 Regional military Governors. Gowon signed this agreement.

So why did Gowon then break this agreement by abolishing the 4 Regions without seeking concurance?

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 11:44am On Nov 19, 2016
gidgiddy:
If you cant answer a simple question then say you cant answer.

The Aburi agreement clearly stated that if any major decision on the future of Nigeria was to be made, Gowon had to first seek the concurance of all 4 Regional military Governors. Gowon signed this agreement.

So why did Gowon then break this agreement by abolishing the 4 Regions without seeking concurance?

And if you cannot conduct simple research, then just say so. sad PC Asiodu, a well-respected Igbo elder statesman gave a lucid insight into what transpired at Aburi, and also explained Gowon's efforts to make sure that most of what was discussed at Aburi, was captured in Decree 8 of 1967. And you are still here asking me petty questions that have already been answered in Asiodu's interview. undecided Your people threw Decree 8 out of the window, and in so doing they closed the door to the implementation of the accord. After they did that, what obligation was there left for Gowon to consult all the 4 regional administrators before doing anything? Especially after Ojukwu had taken unilateral steps without consulting others, on various fronts?

What school did you go to again?

Gowon’s creation of 12 states in May 1967 has its root in Decree 8, 1967 which he promulgated in March as his answer to demands by Lt-Col Odumegwu Ojukwu for the implementation of the Aburi Accord, named after the venue in Ghana of the meeting held on January 4 and 5, 1967, at the initiative of the country’s military authorities to stem the drift towards the country’s disintegration which began with the first coup in January 1966.

As a result of that decree, the title of the military head of state changed from Supreme Commander to Commander-in-Chief and his word seized to be law without the support of the regional governors on subjects like commerce, industry, transport, armed forces, police and higher education. In addition, military area commands were to be created as part of the accord.
Apparently as military governor of the most aggrieved Eastern Region at the time, Lt-Colonel Ojukwu did not think these and other concessions were good enough.

Not even when the secretary of his government, Mr. N. U. Akpan said the said decree in his view “faithfully implemented the Aburi decisions,” as Professor Jonas Elaigwu quoted in his 2009 “Gowon: A Scholarly Biography of a Soldier-Statesman.”

However, whereas Ojukwu did not accept Decree 8 ‘67 as good enough, virtually all the senior technocrats who were at the Aburi talks condemned it as giving too much away against Nigeria’s interests. Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/columns/-true-federalism-and-all-that/148320.html#LyoiumQLala1kXfq.99

You can also read this:
“True federalism” and all that… By Mohammed Haruna | Publish Date: May 25 2016 5:00 AM |
In rejecting the decree, Ojukwu stood alone among his colleagues. And his rejection, along with other decisions he had taken like his seizure of some national assets in his region, led to the conclusion among the federal authorities that the man had made up his mind to curve his region into a sovereign nation.

Gowon’s state creation was partly his preemptive strike aimed at isolating Ojukwu. Contrary to the revisionism we have been subjected to all these decades, that move was widely acclaimed as wise. For, up until then giving minorities in each region their sub-regions was widely considered a solution to their agitations that had started even before Independence in 1960. Read more at
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/columns/-true-federalism-and-all-that/148320.html#LyoiumQLala1kXfq.99

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 11:52am On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:
Hehehe..... NL is so interesting. wink By their comments, ye shall know them. One oyinbo writer recounts a remark he heard from a small cross-section of an ethnic group, during a civil war when emotions are high and passions are inflamed. One simpleton recycles it here. And another cohort of his, decides that it is the gospel truth that defines every single member of that ethnic group. I laugh in Greek. cheesy

The South-Westerners that kept the rents that accrued from the property of the Igbo in Lagos during the civil war, and returned it to them, were obviously not part of the ethnic group the oyinbo writer was referring to. undecided #JustlaughingoutLoud

I assume that you're referring to my post, right? If so then you couldn't be further from the truth. I've been collecting evidence for a while now that debunks many of the myths perpetuated by the Nigerian media, government and ordinary Nigerians. Although shocking in nature, that 'oyinbo writer's' remark is one that is consistent with what I've seen on the internet, in books and in films. As for your last point, I acknowledge that there are many good Yoruba people out there who do not harbour hatred for the Igbos and even if they did, I still wouldn't hate them. However, this doesn't negate the fact that many Igbo people were mistreated at the hands of Yorubas before, during and after the war and most of this was done without any other reason than the utter hatred they had for Ndigbo. I will not sugarcoat my words just because some people will be offended.

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by berrystunn(m): 11:59am On Nov 19, 2016
KelleneOkonkwo:

This one is just spewing nonsense everywhere. People that dont know you will think you living fine. Lmaoo. Poverty is already dealing with you, your ugly looks alone is making me cry for you. Lol

Am not living any fine... am so ugly that devil call me wowo. Hahaha

I will like you to advise your self... This coming year
Its been so long you are struggling.
Doing everything at a time master of non...
You know what am talking about.

There is this girl you slept with long a ago... She gave you bad luck... Noting has been positive for you since then.

The first step to your solution is simple, stop lying to your self..
2. Stop running away (hiding) from people that will help you.
3. Xxxxxxxxxx Let me stop here.

Normal you should be a rich guy.... But.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 12:01pm On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:
I assume that you're referring to my post, right? If so then you couldn't be further from the truth. I've been collecting evidence for a while now that debunks many of the myths perpetuated by the Nigerian media, government and ordinary Nigerians. That 'oyinbo writer's' remark is one that is consistent with what I've seen on the internet, in books and in films. As for your last point, I acknowledge that there are many good Yoruba people out there who do not harbour hatred for the Igbos and even if they did, I still wouldn't hate them. However, this doesn't negate the fact that many Igbo people were mistreated at the hands of Yorubas before, during and after the war and most of this was done without any other reason than the utter hatred they had for Ndigbo. I will not sugarcoat my words just because some people will be offended.

Madam, free your mind! sad Even though I do not hail from the South-west, I have lived there long enough to realise that majority of the comments made on NL and other online forums, are not a true reflection of people that make up the wide & diverse ethnic group that hail from that area.

There have been nasty, vitriolic comments made by Igbo people against Yorubas in articles, books and online media. undecided Do we then conclude that those remarks reflect what the entire Igbo ethnic group think of the Yorubas? Does it reflect the mindset of the average Igbo against the Yoruba? So why do you accept & hold one Oyinbo writer's comment about what some Yoruba folks said as sacrosanct? shocked A statement that may even have been taken out of context, since you have not read the entire book where that quotation was lifted from? Can't you read, analyse & discern objectively what constitutes fact & fiction from what is placed before you? Chai!! shocked

Even films, books and online media may (and often do) contain fiction or certain facts skewed to achieve a particular effect. So please read everything you come across with an objective mind.

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 12:18pm On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:

Madam, free your mind! sad Even though I do not hail from the South-west, I have lived there long enough to realise that majority of the comments made on NL and other online forums, are not a true reflection of people that make up the wide & diverse ethnic group that hail from that area.

There have been nasty, vitriolic comments made by Igbo people against Yorubas in articles, books and online media. undecided Do we then conclude that those remarks reflect what the entire Igbo ethnic group think of the Yorubas? Does it reflect the mindset of the average Igbo against the Yoruba? So why do you accept & hold one Oyinbo writer's comment about what some Yoruba folks said as sacrosanct? shocked A statement that may even have been taken out of context, since you have not read the entire book where that quotation was lifted from? Can't you read, analyse & discern objectively what constitutes fact & fiction from what is placed before you? Chai!! shocked

Did you skip over the part where I said that the writer's views were consistent with what I've seen elsewhere? I don't really care what non-Igbos think about Igbos tbf. We've always been treated with scorn by Nigeria so what difference will it make?

Even films, books and online media may (and often do) contain fiction or certain facts skewed to achieve a particular effect. So please read everything you come across with an objective mind.

I've also experienced some of these anti-Igbo sentiments irl. It's very subtle and you have to be extremely observant to witness it but there you go... Like I said, there are many good Yorubas and other non-Igbos who do not harbour hatred for the Igbos but there are many who do and one must be cautious of this fact. Why are you going out of your way to try to prove that this isn't true?

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by gidgiddy: 12:29pm On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:

And if you cannot conduct simple research, then just say so. sad PC Asiodu, a well-respected Igbo elder statesman gave a lucid insight into what transpired at Aburi, and also explained Gowon's efforts to make sure that most of what was discussed at Aburi, was captured in Decree 8 of 1967. And you are still here asking me petty questions that have already been answered in Asiodu's interview. undecided Your people threw Decree 8 out of the window, and in so doing they closed the door to the implementation of the accord. After they did that, what obligation was there left for Gowon to consult all the 4 regional administrators before doing anything? Especially after Ojukwu had taken unilateral steps without consulting others, on various fronts?

What school did you go to again?

So in other words, Ojukwu should be blamed for not being flexible to the Aburi agreement but Gowon should be hailed for repudiating the entire agreement? Did anyone tell you that this same decree 8 you keep parroting made nonsense of Aburi? There was a clause in that decree that gave Gowon the power to bypass the supreme military council, particularly the Military Governors, when making national decisions. The essence of the Aburi agreement was to make Nigeria a confederation of 4 Regions with a very weak centre in Lagos. The Regions were meant to be more powerful than Gowon and Lagos. Gowon was supposed to be a figure head leader. So it is not actually important what Ojukwu felt about decree 8, Gowon should not have tampered with the Regions that were supposed to be more powerful than him. By abolishing the Regions, Gowon literally declared war.

But we all know what this was about as did Ojukwu. Ojukwu knew that the North wanted political and economic control of Nigeria. The Aburi agreement stopped them from doing this. So the only way to achieve their aim was to break the agreement and the consequence was secession and war.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:
Did you skip over the part where I said that the writer's views were consistent with what I've seen elsewhere? I don't really care what non-Igbos think about Igbos tbf. We've always been treated with scorn by Nigeria so what difference will it make?

It was consistent with what you read elsewhere.... and so you belive that means all those things you read elsewhere, (which we do not know how much, how accurate or how diverse they are) - in your thinking, appears to be correct? Not so? And the Igbo have never treated others with scorn, is that what you think?

Ngozi123:
I've also experienced some of these anti-Igbo sentiments irl. It's very subtle and you have to be extremely observant to witness it but there you go... Like I said, there are many good Yorubas and other non-Igbos who do not harbour hatred for the Igbos but there are many who do and one must be cautious of this fact. Why are you going out of your way to try to prove that this isn't true?

Most people have experienced tribalistic sentiments from other ethnic groups, at one point or the other in their lives, especially if they live outside their own indigenous communities. I am not trying to prove anything, just to make it clear that because a few people in one ethnic group have made a comment, or believe in a particular way, it doesn't mean that every other person from that group holds the same view. sad

Secondly, people experiencing negative sentiments from other ethnic groups, is something that cuts across all ethnic groups not just the Igbo. Discrimination is not restricted to one particular group. So trying to garner books, articles and online media to show only your own people are being unfairly targeted is a biased approach to reality. Period. undecided

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

Nne ignore that moniker. His subtle anti-Igbo sentiment stinks to the high heaven. He shrouds it with deceptive intellectual cover. You have to look deep to spot the hypocrisy embedded in his elusive vitriolic. Have you not noticed how he danced each time the Igbo name is been dragged on the mire on this forum? I have been observing his moniker, and to be honest with you, I detest his character. Anyway, reality on
ground negates every lies they are preaching……
Both past, current and may be future events gives credence to the fact the average Nigerian detest the Igbo tribe. #fact. With time, this evil will be corrected.
The first step to cure this malady, is for all Igbos, within the nook and crannies of this country to start thinking home.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 12:49pm On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:

It was consistent with what you read elsewhere.... and so you belive that means all those things you read elsewhere, (which we do not know how much, how accurate or how diverse they are) - in your thinking, appears to be correct? Not so? And the Igbo have never treated others with scorn, is that what you think?

Most people have experienced tribalistic sentiments from other ethnic groups, at one point or the other in their lives, especially if they live outside their own indigenous communities. I am not trying to prove anything, just to make it clear that because a few people in one ethnic group have made a comment, or believe in a particular way, it doesn't mean that every other person from that group holds the same view. sad

Secondly, people experiencing negative sentiments from other ethnic groups, is something that cuts across all ethnic groups not just the Igbo. Discrimination is not restricted to one particular group. So trying to garner books, articles and online media to show only your own people are being unfairly targeted is a biased approach to reality. Period. undecided

1. Not on the level of what they've been dealt.
2. Read my post at the top of this page...
3. Where have I said that the Igbos are the only people who've been "unfairly targeted" in this country? There are many groups who are protesting against their harsh treatment in this country and they have every right to do so. If the Igbos want to look for a better solution to their woes then leave us to it. I don't know why whenever 'Igbo' is mentioned, some people like to deny, deny and deny again. It's like a reflexive reaction... undecided

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 19, 2016
Some naive people trying to cloud the reality on ground with brilliant argument. Can anybody point out where the Igbo tribe attack any ethnic group for any reason since the inception of this country? How many times have the Igbos been killed and their properties looted just for being Igbo in this sick country? Countless number of time. We voted in the last election and we were taunted both live and online.... The threat of the legendry Oba comes to mind..... No matter how you love to sugarcoat it, the average Nigerian, detest the Igbos... #fact.

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 12:58pm On Nov 19, 2016
blues2022:

Nne ignore that moniker. His subtle anti-Igbo sentiment stinks to the high heaven. He shrouds it with deceptive intellectual cover. You have to look deep to spot the hypocrisy embedded in his elusive vitriolic. Have you not noticed how he danced each time the Igbo name is been dragged on the mire on this forum? I have been observing his moniker, and to be honest with you, I detest his character. Anyway, reality on
ground negates every lies they are preaching……
Both past, current and may be future events gives credence to the fact the average Nigerian detest the Igbo tribe. #fact. With time, this evil will be corrected.
The first step to cure this malady, is for all Igbos, within the nook and crannies of this country to start thinking home.

I've noticed that their modus operandi is to lure gullible Igbos into a false sense of security by telling them that no one hates them and that they're just being paranoid yet still persecute them on the basis of their tribe. It's very duplicitous and every Igbo man and woman needs to open their eyes towards this. How can you sit and allow someone to tell you that you're not being marginalised when it's hitting you in the face? You're right, the answer is to go back home. I've already told my mum and all of my other family members that if they want to invest in Nigeria then it needs to be in the East. Thanks to my dad, we've already started doing that in Onitsha and Ogbaru.

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 1:00pm On Nov 19, 2016
gidgiddy:
So in other words, Ojukwu should be blamed for not being flexible to the Aburi agreement but Gowon should be hailed for repudiating the entire agreement? Did anyone tell you that this same decree 8 you keep parroting made nonsense of Aburi? There was a clause in that decree that gave Gowon the power to bypass the supreme military council, particularly the Military Governors, when making national decisions.

You obviously have problems with comprehension. How did Gowon repudiate the entire agreement when he promulgated Decree 8 of 1967 which included 95% of what was agreed at Aburi?

The single clause which you claim gave Gowon power to bypass the Supreme Military Council (SMC) also had conditions attached to it. If Ojukwu was acting in good faith, why did he not call for a re-negotiation of that singular clause? Why did he reject the entire decree, outright & proceed to nationalise federal govt assets in his region without consulting others? shocked

gidgiddy:
The essence of the Aburi agreement was to make Nigeria a confederation of 4 Regions with a very weak centre in Lagos. The Regions were meant to be more powerful than Gowon and Lagos. Gowon was supposed to be a figure head leader. So it is not actually important what Ojukwu felt about decree 8, Gowon should not have tampered with the Regions that were supposed to be more powerful than him. By abolishing the Regions, Gowon literally declared war.

But we all know what this was about as did Ojukwu. Ojukwu knew that the North wanted political and economic control of Nigeria. The Aburi agreement stopped them from doing this. So the only way to achieve their aim was to break the agreement and the consequence was secession and war.

Go back into history, please. undecided Ojukwu unilaterally nationalised Fed Govt national assets within his region. Something he had no right to do! He was warned about it, but he refused to rescind his decision. In short, with his actions, he had given credence to the fact that he wanted to secede. Did he expect the federal govt to give him a pat on the back after that? Gowon's creation of states was a response to Ojukwu's actions. undecided

Guy, go back, read & understand all the events that led to the Aburi accord, the creation of Decree 8 and Ojukwu's manipulative actions which he took after rejecting Decree 8, so that he could secede. Until you have done that, sorry.... I can't help you, since you are not interested in learning the truth. sad

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KelleneOkonkwo: 1:05pm On Nov 19, 2016
[s]
berrystunn:

Am not living any fine... am so ugly that devil call me wowo. Hahaha

I will like you to advise your self... This coming year
Its been so long you are struggling.
Doing everything at a time master of non...
You know what am talking about.

There is this girl you slept with long a ago... She gave you bad luck... Noting has been positive for you since then.

The first step to your solution is simple, stop lying to your self..
2. Stop running away (hiding) from people that will help you.
3. Xxxxxxxxxx Let me stop here.

Normal you should be a rich guy.... But.
[/s]

Lmaooo. You are telling us your true life story. I can see frustration all over you, your pics alone is making me laugh hard. Suffering and smiling, what a shameless being.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 1:07pm On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

1. Not on the level of what they've been dealt.
2. Read my post at the top of this page...
3. Where have I said that the Igbos are the only people who've been "unfairly targeted" in this country? There are many groups who are protesting against their harsh treatment in this country and they have every right to do so. If the Igbos want to look for a better solution to their woes then leave us to it. I don't know why whenever 'Igbo' is mentioned, some people like to deny, deny and deny again. It's like a reflexive action... undecided

Madam you are the one living in denial mode. undecided Anyway, you are only speaking from your own limited perspective. Unfortunately, your response shows you have activated the 'victim mentality' button, which a lot of your friends do when the error of their reasoning is pointed out. No one is stopping the Igbo from seeking solutions to their problems. The only thing people are saying is do it peacefully on your own, without denigrating or vilifying other ethnic groups. Is that too much to ask? shocked Do have a great day.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Easter Monday Service By Soldiers In Sambisa Today (Photo) / Sanwo-Olu Commissions Newly Upgraded Glover Memoriall Hall / Bandits Have Invaded Ogun And Osun Forests - Gani Adams Raises Alarm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 523
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.