Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,497 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today (23987 Views)

Igbos Abandoned Philip Effiong Who Died A Biafra Rebel, Ojukwu Rewarded - Ekefre / Buhari, Yahaya Bello, Ikpeazu & Others Honored At Daily Times 91st Anniversary / Ipob Replies Obong Attah : You Are Clueless,remember Philip Effiong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 1:07pm On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

I've noticed that their modus operandi is to lure gullible Igbos into a false sense of security by telling them that no one hates them and that they're just being paranoid yet still persecute them on the basis of their tribe. It's very duplicitous and every Igbo man and woman needs to open their eyes towards this. How can you sit and allow someone to tell you that you're not being marginalised when it's hitting you in the face? You're right, the answer is to go back home. I've already told my mum and all of my other family members that if they want to invest in Nigeria then it needs to be in the East. Thanks to my dad, we've already started doing that in Onitsha and Ogbaru.
Great move.... The East is endowed with everything we need.... I don't know why my kinsmen keep trouping down to where they get hacked down, for any little provocation.... (Mrs Bridget comes to mind). If Jonathan had not conceded defeat in the last election, my kinsmen would have bore the brunt of that election. The East is our home, and the sooner we start thinking home the better for us.....

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 1:11pm On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:
1. Not on the level of what they've been dealt.
2. Read my post at the top of this page...
3. Where have I said that the Igbos are the only people who've been "unfairly targeted" in this country? There are many groups who are protesting against their harsh treatment in this country and they have every right to do so. If the Igbos want to look for a better solution to their woes then leave us to it. I don't know why whenever 'Igbo' is mentioned, some people like to deny, deny and deny again. It's like a reflexive action... undecided

Madam, it is so sad that you are the one living in denial mode. undecided Anyway, you are only speaking from your own limited perspective.

Unfortunately, your response shows you have activated the 'victim mentality' button, which a lot of your friends do, when the error of their reasoning is pointed out. No one is stopping the Igbo from seeking solutions to their problems. The only thing people are saying is, do it peacefully on your own, without denigrating or vilifying other ethnic groups. Is that too much to ask? shocked Do have a great day.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KelleneOkonkwo: 1:11pm On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:
Hehehe..... NL is so interesting. wink By their comments, ye shall know them. One oyinbo writer recounts a remark he heard from a small cross-section of an ethnic group, during a civil war when emotions are high and passions are inflamed. One simpleton recycles it here. And another cohort of his, decides that it is the gospel truth that defines every single member of that ethnic group. I laugh in Greek. cheesy

The South-Westerners that kept the rents that accrued from the property of the Igbo in Lagos during the civil war, and returned it to them, were obviously not part of the ethnic group the oyinbo writer was referring to. undecided #JustlaughingoutLoud

No one cares about the rubbish. Playing victim like a batteree kid is what i hate about these people. You hate others and they hate you too but you playing the victim card. They prefer the Hausa that kill them at any slighest provocations. I hate them same way they hate my people too, the hatred is mutual.

5 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 1:13pm On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:

Madam you are the one living in denial mode. undecided Anyway, you are only speaking from your own limited perspective. Unfortunately, your response shows you have activated the 'victim mentality' button, which a lot of your friends do when the error of their reasoning is pointed out. No one is stopping the Igbo from seeking solutions to their problems. The only people are saying is do it peacefully on your own, without denigrating or vilifying other ethnic groups. Is that too much to ask? shocked Do have a great day.

Ahh, I was waiting for when you would say something like this, it took you long enough... @blues2022 you see what I was saying about their modus operandi? This one here has exhibited it almost exactly.

Thanks, same to you smiley.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 1:18pm On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:
Ahh, I was waiting for when you would say something like this, took you long enough... @blues2022 you see what I was saying about their modus operandi? This one here has exhibited it almost exactly.

Hehehe...... and you have not disappointed me with your response. wink I was just waiting for you to come up with this rejoinder. cheesy Don't worry, you and your cohorts can have a 'pity-party' when you are done. My reference to your victim mentality, stemmed from the blanket statements you made earlier, which I have quoted below.

Ngozi123:

I feel absolutely disgusted by that comment; I am literally sickened by it. It completely contradicts the lies peddled across Nairaland and in real life that the Igbos were 'welcomed' into Yorubaland and were not treated harshly as they tried to go back home before the war. Thank you for this quote, I'll show it to anyone who wants to counteract this claim to me.

As for your other post, I agree that we should spend a portion of our time debunking the lies peddled about us as, as we've seen in the past, they can have fatal consequences. But our number one focus should be on improving and uniting ourselves as a nation (Igbo Nation) and looking for effective ways to break ties with Nigeria once and for all. That's what I mean when I say that I'm indifferent towards them. Our children should be taught their history and the treatment of their forefathers by these so called 'friendly' tribes but we mustn't let it define them. Where has the hatred for the Igbos taken Nigeria?
As you said, we must debunk their lies but we must also completely separate ourselves from Nigeria both physically and mentally speaking.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

Ahh, I was waiting for when you would say something like this, it took you long enough... @blues2022 you see what I was saying about their modus operandi? This one here has exhibited it almost exactly.

cheesy cheesy cheesy that is the average Nigerian to you. Living in self-denial, and make-belief fallacy. Ever wonder why the country is on a perpetual retrogression...... undecided Because she thrives on lies. Do yourself good and ignore that moniker..... He is configured to bore you to death.... Reality on ground is what matters.....

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 1:23pm On Nov 19, 2016
blues2022:

Great move.... The East is endowed with everything we need.... I don't know why my kinsmen keep trouping down to where they get hacked down, for any little provocation.... (Mrs Bridget comes to mind). If Jonathan had not conceded defeat in the last election, my kinsmen would have bore the brunt of that election. The East is our home, and the sooner we start thinking home the better for us.....

I don't know either... One can only hope that they will open their eyes soon to the reality of the situation. Anyway, the ones that refuse to go back home are largely the same ones that deny that they are being marginalised so there's not much that we can do on that front.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Duru1(m): 1:24pm On Nov 19, 2016
seunmsg:
God bless Philip Effiong's soul wherever he is today. At least, he was brave enough not to abandon the soldiers when defeat became imminent unlike a certain coward that ran away to Cote d'ivoire.

You would never know a tactical move even if your sorry life depended on it.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 1:25pm On Nov 19, 2016
KelleneOkonkwo:
No one cares about the rubbish. Playing victim like a batteree kid is what i hate about these people. You hate others and they hate you too but you playing the victim card. They prefer the Hausa that kill them at any slighest provocations. I hate them same way they hate my people too, the hatred is mutual.

Bros, hatred is a strong word, o! shocked I don't subscribe to it, all. There are great & wonderful Nd'Igbo people that you meet everyday, who cannot be bothered by all the politics, ethnic bashing and IPOB issues that some of their online counterparts, engage in on NL. undecided

They just want to live, and let live. cool But a few of them on NL tend to swallow, hook, line and sinker any half-truth or conjecture that fuels the propaganda, that has been fed to them. Those are the ones I truly feel sorry for, like the Madam Ngozi I was trying to engage earlier. From her final response, you can see her mindset. Brainwashed people are rather gullible. sad

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 1:26pm On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:

Hehehe...... and you have not disappointed me with your response. wink I was just waiting for you to come up with this rejoinder. cheesy Don't worry, you and your cohorts can have a 'pity-party' when you are done. My reference to your victim mentality, stemmed from the blanket statements you made earlier, which I have quoted below.

No you weren't, otherwise you wouldn't have bid me farewell in your previous post wink. Thanks for proving my point btw, I hope other Igbos reading this will see your true nature.

Have a good day and refrain from mentioning me again.

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 1:27pm On Nov 19, 2016
blues2022:

cheesy cheesy cheesy that is the average Nigerian to you. Living in self-denial, and make-belief fallacy. Ever wonder why the country is on a perpetual retrogression...... undecided Because she thrives on lies. Do yourself good and ignore that moniker..... He is configured to bore you to death.... Reality on ground is what matters.....

Henceforth, I certainly will. He's proved my point now so I have no other use for him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Duru1(m): 1:28pm On Nov 19, 2016
gidgiddy:

Considering that your leader Awolowo gave up without a fight right in Lagos, Yoruba land and became 'second fiddle' to a boy young enough to be his son (Gowon) I think that Ojukwu did well in comparison.

Yorubas are the only people who surrendered their land before the fight even started.

Even when their son was murdered in the capital of Oduduwa by the Caliphate loyalists. It reminds me about the Afonja's women in Ogbomosho during the jihadist push to Ibadan.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by gidgiddy: 1:29pm On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:

You obviously have problems with comprehension. How did Gowon repudiate the entire agreement when he promulgated Decree 8 of 1967 which included 95% of what was agreed at Aburi?

The single clause which you claim gave Gowon power to bypass the Supreme Military Council (SMC) also had conditions attached to it. If Ojukwu was acting in good faith, why did he not call for a re-negotiation of that singular clause? Why did he reject the entire decree, outright & proceed to nationalise federal govt assets in his region without consulting others? shocked

Go back into history, please. undecided Ojukwu unilaterally nationalised Fed Govt national assets within his region. Something he had no right to do! He was warned about it, but he refused to rescind his decision. In short, with his actions, he had given credence to the fact that he wanted to secede. Did he expect the federal govt to give him a pat on the back after that? Gowon's creation of states was a response to Ojukwu's actions. undecided

Guy, go back, read & understand all the events that led to the Aburi accord, the creation of Decree 8 and Ojukwu's manipulative actions which he took after rejecting Decree 8, so that he could secede. Until you have done that, sorry.... I can't help you, since you are not interested in learning the truth. sad

And Im telling you that Gowon had no powers to repudiate Aburi, he had no powers to abolish the regions, he had no powers to offer '95%'. It was Gowons duty to implement the agreement he signed to the letter. Aburi made the 4 Regions the 'confederating' units of Nigeria, they were literally autonomous. And if for any reason, Gowon wanted to change the terms of Aburi, he should have called for a second Aburi meeting. The regions were more powerful than Gowon or the SMC and for Gowon to have come with his own watered down version and a ridiculous clause that allowed him to undermine the sovereignty of the regions was unacceptable. If I was Ojukwu, I would not have accepted it either. It was a crafty attempt to sneak in Northern hegemony via the back door. I dont think Gowon knew what he was signing in Aburi, by the time he did, it was too late.

Personally, I dont think anything could have prevented the war. The Northern oligarchy could not stand Nigeria being run as a confederation because it made them powerless and the agrieved East would rather fight fall under Northern domination. Something had to give.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 1:30pm On Nov 19, 2016
Duplicated post deleted.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 1:30pm On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:
No you weren't, otherwise you wouldn't have bid me farewell in your previous post wink. Thanks for proving my point btw, I hope other Igbos reading this will see your true nature.

Very funny! cheesy Your own true nature is already on display. People like you with a prejudiced mind-set, that can't sift fact from fiction truly deserve a lot of pity. undecided

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 1:33pm On Nov 19, 2016
gidgiddy:
And Im telling you that Gowon had no powers to repudiate Aburi, he had no powers to abolish the regions, he had no powers to offer '95%'. It was Gowons duty to implement the agreement he signed to the letter. Aburi made the 4 Regions the 'confederating' units of Nigeria, they were literally autonomous. And if for any reason, Gowon wanted to change the terms of Aburi, he should have called for a second Aburi meeting. The regions were more powerful than Gowon or the SMC and for Gowon to have come with his own watered down version and a ridiculous clause that allowed him to undermine the sovereignty of the regions was unacceptable. If I was Ojukwu, I would not have accepted it either. It was a crafty attempt to sneak in Northern hegemony via the back door. I dont think Gowon knew what he was signing in Aburi, by the time he did, it was too late.

Personally, I dont think anything could have prevented the war. The Northern oligarchy could not stand Nigeria being run as a confederation because it made them powerless and the agrieved East would rather fight fall under Northern domination. Something had to give.

Maka gini?? Gowon was military Head of State and Commander-In-Chief and you say he had no powers?? Chai!! shocked Go back to school, biko!

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Duru1(m): 1:35pm On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:
A continuation of P.C Asiodu's interview concerning Decree 8 of 1967:

WHY ABURI ACCORD FAILED, BY ASIODU |tnv | THE NIGERIAN VOICE |

Asiodu: But coming back from what I was saying. Go and read decree 8, if we had implemented it - in three months, we would have had four independent states.

Q: Why was it not implemented?

Asiodu: "Because, it didn't satisfy the Easterners. The decree had been promulgated by Gowon. It was to be implemented then. But it was seen by Ojukwu as not being sufficient. I am saying that politics is something which has to be played with some tact. Sometimes my brothers there see black and white where there is immediately green in between. Sometimes, there is really no finesse in politics. They will think the reality is not important as how you get there. The reality was that Nigeria was finished under decree number 8. The reality is that although it was finished, they didn't proclaim 'we hereby dissolve Nigeria'. But that was of no effect. You go and read it. But it was rejected...." https://www.thenigerianvoice.com/thread/12170/87243/1

Was there anytime Decree 8 was discussed in Aburi, Ghana? Most Nigerians tend to embrace illogicality as gospel.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Duru1(m): 1:46pm On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

I assume that you're referring to my post, right? If so then you couldn't be further from the truth. I've been collecting evidence for a while now that debunks many of the myths perpetuated by the Nigerian media, government and ordinary Nigerians. Although shocking in nature, that 'oyinbo writer's' remark is one that is consistent with what I've seen on the internet, in books and in films. As for your last point, I acknowledge that there are many good Yoruba people out there who do not harbour hatred for the Igbos and even if they did, I still wouldn't hate them. However, this doesn't negate the fact that many Igbo people were mistreated at the hands of Yorubas before, during and after the war and most of this was done without any other reason than the utter hatred they had for Ndigbo. I will not sugarcoat my words just because some people will be offended.

One such idiotic myths was the 1967 publication of western regional government of Nigeria stated that Lt Col Francis Fajuyi opted to die with Gen Ironsi.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Duru1(m): 1:48pm On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:

Maka gini?? Gowon was military Head of State and Commander-In-Chief and you say he had no powers?? Chai!! shocked Go back to school, biko!

Arrant nonsense!!!

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nwakaumu(m): 2:03pm On Nov 19, 2016

Unfortunately, your response shows you have activated the 'victim mentality' button, which a lot of your friends do, .But you at the same time ve employed psychological device called victim vilification as you kinsmen always do when Igbo point out the marginalization they are facing in this poo hole called nigeria.Thank god for Nnamdi kanu, who has taught us to watch out for this trick whenever we encounter you folks in public debate.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 2:06pm On Nov 19, 2016
Duru1:
Arrant nonsense!!!

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by berrystunn(m): 3:56pm On Nov 19, 2016
KelleneOkonkwo:
[s][/s]

Lmaooo. You are telling us your true life story. I can see frustration all over you, your pics alone is making me laugh hard. Suffering and smiling, what a shameless being.

You have to deliver your self....

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 10:39pm On Nov 19, 2016
bejeiodus:
When and where was the agreement made? Ojukwu and Awolowo only met once before the commencement of hostilities. And that was when he went to the Eastern region as the head of the conciliatory committee set up by Justice Adetokunbo Ademola.
Sorry I didn't reply to you earlier. I've watched some documentaries on Nigeria which all say that Awolowo and Ojukwu made the agreement after Awo was released from prison. Your conviction that such agreement was never reached made me do a google search and here's what I found,

"Chief Awolowo has been variously accused of introducing tribalism into the Nigerian politics. He chased Dr Azikiwe out of the Ibadan in 1954 when the NCNC headed by Azikiwe won majority seats in the West Nigerian House of Assembly and through a palace coup called cross carpeting Zik was denied the Premiership of Western Nigeria, at a time when Professor Eyo Ita, an Efik was premier of Eastern Region and Alhaji Umoru Altine , a Fulani, was Mayor of Enugu. Dr Azikiwe, following the footsteps of Awolowo, had to frustrate Professor Eyo Ita out of Enugu. Chief Awolowo and Sir Ahmadu Bello seems to have a deeper understanding of the Nigerian complexities than Dr Azikiwe.

While Awolowo never trusted the Igbos, the north never trusted Awolowo and theYorubas. The northern oligarchy instigated crisis in Western Nigeria in the same manner President Obasanjo used the Uba brothers to instigate crisis in Anambra State. This crisis led to the trumped up charges leading to the trial and imprisonment of Awolowo . Reports has it that he was to be poisoned in prison before the military coup altered the state of affairs.

Awolowo was released from Calabar prison by Biafran leader Odumegwu Ojukwu and there was an agreement that while Ojukwu declares Biafra in the East, Awolowo would declare Oduduwa Republic in the West. The British establishment, sensing the dangers of Awolowo declaring Oduduwa Republic in the West, convinced Gowon and the north to checkmate Awolowo’s secessionist agenda by appointing him the Vice Chairman of Federal Executive Council. This strategy worked effectively and Awolowo was deceived that after Gowon’s tenure he would be given the opportunity of ruling Nigeria. Awolowo thus had to checkmate the Biafran dream to clear any obstacle to his ruling Nigeria while the north was looking for the right opportunity to throw him into the dustbin. In frustration, Awo resigned from Gowon’s cabinet when he realized he has been politically duped.

Awolowo quashed the Biafran dream while the northern establishment killed the Oduduwa dream and betrayed Awolowo’s presidential ambition thrice. This fact was aptly captured by a prominent Yoruba leader and Nigeria’s former minister of aviation Chief Femi Fani-Kayode while replying to a boastful statement by another prominent northern leader, Alhaji Usman Farouk on how the north dominated the Yoruba people and conquered the Niger Delta. According to Fani Kayode, "... the north literally begged Awolowo not to declare Oduduwa Republic and go the way of Biafra even though that was his original intention…Fourthly it was the support that the south west gave to the north that allowed Nigeria to win the war. Fifthly it was the lie that Gowon and the northern leaders fed to Awolowo that he would be made President of the country after the war and after being effectively being made de facto Prime Minister under Gowon during the war that got Awolowo to support them’’, invariably, the Igbos and Yorubas were effectively dribbled, divided, manipulated and overpowered.

This could be a case of me misunderstanding what was going on, so if you have superior understanding please re-explain how there was no intention to establish an Oduduwa Republic.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Duru1(m): 11:27pm On Nov 19, 2016
[quote author=laudate post=51172650][/quote]

You seem to wallow in ignorance. Again, did the conferees discuss Decree #8 in Aburi, Ghana?
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by SuperStriker: 11:27pm On Nov 19, 2016
LorDBolton:

LMAO... Bros obviously you're not well versed in war stretegy @ all.

Since u have google, pls Google world war 1 & world war 2 and share with us a screenshot of the casualty figures n explain why the allies won.

Lemme explain the figures u wil see for you...

an invading force will always loose a lot of men. Because they're crossing enemy lines.

Do u think the enemy will sit down and wait? They will lay booby traps and ambushes for the invading force which will decimate their numbers...

For example; if NA are crossing river niger (like murtala mohammed RIP tried) do u expect the biafran forces to siddon look? They will obviously be firing at the NA (thus NA would have already lost @least 50 men b4 even reaching half of the journey)

Now if u check online many nigerian army losses were due to AMBUSH. The greatest igbo soldier kaduna died during an encirclement/ambush his forces tried on the NA (I think @ ph)

Ask yourself why it was so easy to chase the biafran forces out of mid-west when they invaded?

Sir pls if u don't know about war don't talk. Those dead soldiers were the cost of victory.

Your argument is highly flawed in saying that an invading army will always suffer higher casualties. America invaded Iraq yet Iraq suffered far heavier military losses than America.

Your argument about ww2 is also flawed. The Germans invaded Russia yet Russia suffered far more grevious casualties than the invading German army. The Germans invaded Poland, France, etc yet these countries suffered heavier losses than the invading Germans and eventually surrendered.

As for the midwest, it was a fraud because the Yoruba man Banjo surrendered several kilomiters of captured territory because he didn't want the advancing Biafran army to enter Lagos.

You also have to consider that the standard riffle of the Biafran solder was the bolt action whereas Nigeria had endless supplies of heavt mobile armour, artillery machine guns etc.

Oga, you are the one who should not talk about military engagements because you understand very little.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KingOvoramwen1(m): 9:14am On Nov 20, 2016
laudate:
Hehehe.... wey my mat, my popcorn and my malt drink? cheesy Na on top this thread I go match brake today.

Nothing wey person no go see for here. Biafran soldiers did not want to hold on to the Mid-West .... hehehe.... yet they appointed a military administrator for them, and even renamed the whole area. I love this tales by moonlight! cheesy Wonders shall never end! cool

cc: EdCure, PenSniper, Mulattoclaro, LordBolton, T8ksy, rusher14, BornStunner1, KingOvoramwen1, martineverest, donphilopus, freemanbubble, osezua, jpphilips, basingstoke, Ivory2009, macof

Lol grin
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 9:32am On Nov 20, 2016
KingOvoramwen1:
Lol grin

Guy, why you dey laugh?! cheesy You need to read the contradictions flowing through the posts of some of these chaps. How can an invading army appoint a military administrator for an area, and rename the entire region after claiming falsely that you came to liberate them ... only for someone to turn round now over 40 years later, to claim that the invading army never intended to hold on to the Mid-West? You sef, check am nah. cool

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 9:39am On Nov 20, 2016
Why I released Awolowo from prison Gowon | October 17, 2015 | Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji | Premium Times

A former Nigerian Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, on Thursday said his administration released the late Obafemi Awolowo from prison to end the political unrest in the South West and ensure peace across the country.

Mr. Gowon, who spoke to journalists after paying condolence visit to the Awolowos at Ikenne, also noted that he was privileged to have been used by God to ensure release of the late sage from prison.

The former head of state, who was at Ikenne on account of the death of HID Awowolo, disclosed that the late matriarch was the one who persuaded Mr. Awolowo to be part of his military government.

“’It was my fortune and I thank God that it was me that had the opportunity to release Papa from prison from Calabar to Lagos and certainly to be able to help us have peace in the West at that time and then we came,” Mr. Gowon recalled.

“Mama was very happy and very grateful for what has happened and I can assure you, that is what earned me the respect of Mama right throughout her life. But yes, what we did was alright..."
Read the rest here: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/191679-why-i-released-awolowo-from-prison-gowon.html

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:12am On Nov 20, 2016
laudate:

Guy, why you dey laugh?! cheesy You need to read the contradictions flowing through the posts of some of these chaps. How can an invading army appoint a military administrator for an area, and rename the entire region after claiming falsely that you came to liberate them ... only for someone to turn round now over 40 years later, to claim that the invading army never intended to hold on to the Mid-West? You sef, check am nah. cool

Nor mind all this Sanitary pad igbo niggers that u find on nairaland the real ones with sense are offline!!

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Jaymaestro(m): 1:29am On Nov 22, 2016
oglalasioux:

Whose machinations brought Russia and US into the war? What you need is research.

When you say 'British Empire' don't forget the Germans recognized war with England and no one else.
well, nothing more to see here.. cause you are seeing the underlying propaganda.
Thanks
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by MENELIK1: 8:17am On Nov 22, 2016
[quote author=laudate post=51193693]

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Anthony Adeyinka: Police Fired Tear Gas At Hoodlums Not June 12 Activists / Soludo Pays Condolence Visit To Ex-Governor, Ezeife Over Death Of His Wife (Pix) / What Do You Think Will Change In 5 Years Regardless Of Who Wins In 2023?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.