Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,587 members, 7,816,446 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today (23983 Views)

Igbos Abandoned Philip Effiong Who Died A Biafra Rebel, Ojukwu Rewarded - Ekefre / Buhari, Yahaya Bello, Ikpeazu & Others Honored At Daily Times 91st Anniversary / Ipob Replies Obong Attah : You Are Clueless,remember Philip Effiong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KelleneOkonkwo: 1:59pm On Nov 18, 2016
May the soul of Effiong rest well. A very brave soldier unlike the pedophille ojukwu that ran away after losing 3m souls.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by ZoneBslayer(m): 2:02pm On Nov 18, 2016
koladebrainiac:

Like they have a choice? We are children of history bro.

Even Ojukwu never wanted war. Its the arrogance of some Igbo's that led to that slaughtering .

Effiong was a true war hero. Lot of Yoruba soldiers too fought for Biafra.
oh Effiong was the only choice amongst millions of capable Igbo men? my point was to show the easily misleds that the division in the (now defunct) eastern Nigeria started after the civil war..before then, there was no difference between an okoro and an Effiong..

OH?! ojukwu never wanted war? coming from a Yoruba man this is a surprise to me..I thought he was labelled a warmonger by the Lagos/Ibadan press..

again I am lost in a state of bewilderment! so Yorubas fought and died for Biafra? what changed since then? I must have skipped that part in the history classes.

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by oglalasioux(m): 2:03pm On Nov 18, 2016
Victorvexz:

Keep deceiving urself, after all we practiced federalism back then, so the federal government did not stop the eastern region from being self-sufficient in food. We did not stop u from producing ur own food. Since the biafrans wanted a war, they should have made sure they were self-sufficient in food. So stop using starvation as an excuse on why u lost the war, because even if food filled the table of an average biafran then, Nigeria would have still won the war.

You know nothing about wars.
You should observe that I said Ojukwu executed the war poorly. You should have asked me how before unleashing your hatred for the Igbo people.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ojady(m): 2:06pm On Nov 18, 2016
Excuse me, but ah... Is Ojukwu your father?, Efiong your mother's baby daddy?, Gowon your Uncle? Awolowo your mother's father from your third cousin's side? If they 're not and you're hear blowing heat, while their kids cant be bothered, menh, you on a long thing! Each one of them, got up their arses and DID SOMETHING to NEVER BE FORGOTTEN BY...Go Ye and do Likewise and let some anonymous story tellers and somewhat nobodys argue over what you did...#micdroplikeaBoss

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by drexy02: 2:07pm On Nov 18, 2016
Keneking:
Whao so defunct Biafra had a VP like Osibande
grin
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by berrystunn(m): 2:09pm On Nov 18, 2016
seunmsg:
God bless Philip Effiong's soul wherever he is today. At least, he was brave enough not to abandon the soldiers when defeat became imminent unlike a certain coward that ran away to Cote d'ivoire.

Call your fafa coward.... That ran away when they gave birth to you...

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Victorvexz(m): 2:10pm On Nov 18, 2016
oglalasioux:

You know nothing about wars.
You should observe that I said Ojukwu executed the war poorly. You should have asked me how before unleashing your hatred for the Igbo people.
Mr know all, why was Ojukwu then boasting as if he had nuclear weapons? How can u go to war without preparing. According to his statements in some interview, he spoke as if Nigeria had no chance in the war, he spoke as if he will win it. U all should be asking him why he had to lie to u people that he was prepared for the war, and not coming here to tell me I know nothing about wars. Ur hero was a coward, short and simple

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Unigweson25(m): 2:10pm On Nov 18, 2016
ALL HAIL BIAFRA!
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by berrystunn(m): 2:13pm On Nov 18, 2016
OJUcrook:
Philip Effiong is the real Civil war hero on the Biafran side. He did not run away, he stood his ground and surrendered because he knew the odds were stacked against the Biafrans.

However, Ojukwu, the initiator of the war, could not equip his army properly, he could not feed his civilians adequately yet he once boasted before the commencement of hostilities that he had the largest army in Black Africa and that the other side(Nigeria) will be shocked as to what they will get from him. Ojukwu boasted that he would fight till the last drop of his blood but when the federal forces closed in on him, he ignominiously ran away to Abidjan after commndeering a plane that was meant to airlift sick Biafran children, abandoning the civilians he swore to protect.

Alhaji Shehu Shagari later granted Ojukwu amnesty in 1982 after twelve years in exile. In 1983 Ojukwu contested in the Senatorial election, he also contested in the 2003 and 2007 Presidential elections but lost woefully on all occassions.

It is highly preposterous that a man who led a war against Nigeria, came back to Nigeria and participated in elections in the same country he fought against

No food in your house... You here writing nonsense.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 18, 2016
HarmonyDee:
Wow!what a fine man!
#Proudly S.S..was he from Aks Or CRs?
By the way he looks like my dad

Obong Phillip Effiong, he's from AKs.

It's possible your dad is his look-alike, as a boy, the day I first saw my look-alike, I went back home asking my mom if my twin brother was taken away at birth.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by berrystunn(m): 2:15pm On Nov 18, 2016
KelleneOkonkwo:
May the soul of Effiong rest well. A very brave soldier unlike the pedophille ojukwu that ran away after losing 3m souls.

Name one thing you have achieved,
There is nothing in your account,
But you have the time to write nonsense up in here.

Usu.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by eshic(f): 2:17pm On Nov 18, 2016
gidgiddy:
A fine Soldier and the last president of the first Republic of Biafra.

you need sense,God will dissappoint all of you that think that biafran independent will never come.the reason why Nigerian are holding Igbos is because they think that the moment Igbos left them That Nigeria will collapse.but one day. it will happen in your eye, there is nothing anyone can do do about it,because whosoever the son of man has set free is free indeed.I decree in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ Biafran must be free according to Is 61v 1 to 4. AMen.anyone that speaks against this declaration would be answered by God of justice.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by gidgiddy: 2:17pm On Nov 18, 2016
OJUcrook:
You are the ignorant one here. Ojukwu's Biafra had nothing to do with self determination, it was a territorial annexation exercise. Colonel David Ejoor, the military administrator of the midwest proclaimed that the midwest would take no part in the fighting, it was to be neutral, a buffer state. The Federal government accepted this situation and concentrated its fighting force - The 1st division on the only frontier over which it could attack Biafra, namely the border which separated the Eastern region from the Benue Province of the Northern Region.

Ojukwu on his own part did not respect the midwest neutrality. He invaded the midwest, forcefully appointed Major Albert Okonkwo, an ibo man as the administrator of the region, and then ordered his Biafran Liberatin Army to march to Lagos and Ibadan

The war was the Nigerian/ Biafran war. There was nothing like neutality. Ejoor was just a Military Governor under Gowon, he had no power to enforce any neutality for the mid west as long as he was under Gowons command. Nigeria fired on the Biafran border town of Gakem in Ogoja on the 6th of July1967 sparking off the war. It was not until a month later that Ojukwu invaded the mid west. Nigeria invaded Biafra and Biafra invaded back.

The bottomline here is that Gowon and Nigeria caused the war by breaching a sacred agreement signed right in front of the president of Ghana, General Ankarah. If Gowon had reservations about the agreement, he should have called another meeting and an amendment could have been discussed. Instead, Gowon went against the most important point of the Aburi accord, not to dismantle the 4 regions unless all 4 Military Governors agreed with him. Gowon chose the path of war. After that, Ojukwu was justified in fighting to uphold the sovereignty of his people.

The war was all about the economic and political control of Nigeria by the North and Ojukwu was the only one who had the courage to fight that oppression.

To this day, the South of Nigeria are still "begging" the North for the very same things Ojukwu fought for, true federalism, resource control, autonomy.

Ojukwu has long been vindicated.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by berrystunn(m): 2:18pm On Nov 18, 2016
BjDreamchaser:

Biafra is dead on arrival...

Like you...
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by gidgiddy: 2:20pm On Nov 18, 2016
kropotkin2:
Ok. We understand how and why he lost, but what we cant understand is why he chose to run away

He had lost, what would have been the point of him staying back to be slaughtered?
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by BjDreamchaser(m): 2:21pm On Nov 18, 2016
berrystunn:

Like Me...

Yes, you are a walking dead too grin
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by striker9(m): 2:25pm On Nov 18, 2016
Victorvexz:
Philip Effiong is the real biafran hero. If not for him, the Military government of Nigeria then would have slaughtered an additional 3 million easterners. He was a very brave man to have stood his ground instead of running away like a coward just like Ojukwu did. I watched a video of Ojukwu speech just before the war started, I watched how he was boasting of having the largest military, he was boasting that Nigeria will be surprised with what they will get from him. With the way he was boasting, u would think he had a Nuclear bomb ready that can wipeout the Nigerian army with just one strike. I have never seen a military leader boast the way Ojukwu did. But unfortunately, he had to run away like a coward, instead of finishing what he started with Gowon.
I have the video, looking at him roll those eyes and smile would make you think he already won.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Doctoreee1(m): 2:26pm On Nov 18, 2016
a true Akwa Ibom son R.I.P
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Victorvexz(m): 2:26pm On Nov 18, 2016
striker9:
I have the video, looking at him roll those eyes and smile would make you think he already won.
Don't mind Ojukwu, see the way he was smiling in the video as if he knew what he was doing.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 18, 2016
ZoneBslayer:

oh Effiong was the only choice amongst millions of capable Igbo men? my point was to show the easily misleds that the division in the (now defunct) eastern Nigeria started after the civil war..before then, there was no difference between an okoro and an Effiong..

OH?! ojukwu never wanted war? coming from a Yoruba man this is a surprise to me..I thought he was labelled a warmonger by the Lagos/Ibadan press..

again I am lost in a state of bewilderment! so Yorubas fought and died for Biafra? what changed since then? I must have skipped that part in the history classes.

If you didn't know Yorubas fought on the Biafran side then you have no business making comments on the civil war. Listen to Ojukwu's comments before the war and you can make up your own mind whether he wanted war or not.

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by koladebrainiac(m): 2:28pm On Nov 18, 2016
ZoneBslayer:

Effiong was one of the few brilliant soldier Nigeria has better than Gowon n the rest. Even better than Ojukwu. He does not fight conventional war . he has the mind of General Sun tsu .

It would be unwise to let Effiong go out of east then. Secondly it would be very embarrassing to give effiong any position lesser than vice. Hian

I said some Yoruba soldiers not all.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by IRobot7(m): 2:28pm On Nov 18, 2016
The Nigerian Revolution and The Biafran War, written by Maj Gen. Alexander .A. Madiebo. If you have not read this book, then you know nothing about the January coup(revolution), the July counter coup, the progroms(massacre of ibos in the north), the May secession, and the war afterwards. My father was conscripted and if you hear his stories, you wouldn't wish for war.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by berrystunn(m): 2:29pm On Nov 18, 2016
OJUcrook:
No that is not all. There is more to the story: Nnamdi Azikiwe was the one that composed the Biafran National anthem but he ran away from Biafra. Ojukwu was the one that declared Biafra but he also ran away from Biafra. All the Biafran leaders all ran away from Biafra after sending 3million civilians to the slaughter slab.

Of particular interest is Ojukwu, the Head-of-State of Biafra. While Biafran children were dieing of Kwarshiorkor and starvation, Ojukwu's own children were feeding fat and looking healthy. Ojukwu was never at the war front. He was hiding from one under ground bunker to another throughout the duration of the war.

When Enugu the capital of Biafra fell, Ojukwu ran away to Umuhia. When Umuhia fell, he ran deeper into the Biafra heartland. He was running all through the war until he eventually ran away to Abidjan. It is rumoured that while he was on exile in Ivory Coast, he lived comfortably in a sea side masion, eating the choicest delicacies and dancing Makossa daily with Abidjan girls

Usu
Yes because Biafra, at war with Nigeria fighting along side with, u.k, u.s and Russia. ( Machinery)

I remember I saw Nigeria president in front line.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by IRobot7(m): 2:31pm On Nov 18, 2016
Aigbofa:

If you didn't know Yorubas fought on the Biafran side then you have no business making comments on the civil war. Listen to Ojukwu's comments before the war and you can make up your own mind whether he wanted war or not.

Yorubas fought on the biafran side. Example: Colonel Banjo
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 18, 2016
gidgiddy:

The war was the Nigerian/ Biafran war. There was nothing like neutality. Ejoor was just a Military Governor under Gowon, he had no power to enforce any neutality for the mid west as long as he was under Gowons command. Nigeria fired on the Biafran border town of Gakem in Ogoja on the 6th of October 1967 sparking off the war. It was not until a month later that Ojukwu invaded the mid west. Nigeria invaded Biafra and Biafra invaded back.

The bottomline here is that Gowon and Nigeria caused the war by breaching a sacred agreement signed right in front of the president of Ghana, General Ankarah. If Gowon had reservations about the agreement, he should have called another meeting and an amendment could have been discussed. Instead, Gowon went against the most important point of the Aburi accord, not to dismantle the 4 regions unless all 4 Military Governors agreed with him. Gowon chose the path of war. After that, Ojukwu was justified in fighting to uphold the sovereignty of his people.

The war was all about the economic and political control of Nigeria by the North and Ojukwu was the only one who had the courage to fight that oppression.

To this day, the South of Nigeria are still "begging" the North for the very same things Ojukwu fought for, true federalism, resource control, autonomy.

Ojukwu has long been vindicated.

The unilateral declaration of secession was basically a declaration of war. Forget about when Nigeria fired first. There was no Biafran border, all was within the territory of Nigeria.
Nigerians are begging the north? Why don't you simply say the truth that the same thing one ibo man signed away with a pen, Ojukwu tried to retrieve it with a gun. I wonder if Ojukwu ever encouraged Ironsi in making the decree 34.

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by berrystunn(m): 2:35pm On Nov 18, 2016
BjDreamchaser:

Yes, you are a walking dead too grin

You already poor before coming to this earth

That why nothing stays in your account.
You know what am talking about.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by criuze(m): 2:41pm On Nov 18, 2016
Biafra is coming
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by hucienda: 2:43pm On Nov 18, 2016
Happy 91st, General Effiong.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by dreamwords: 2:48pm On Nov 18, 2016
henrydadon:
was biafra ever a country..

you people are trying too hard
Biafra was a country, but was later regoined to Nigeria, u need to study ur history books
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by gidgiddy: 2:48pm On Nov 18, 2016
Aigbofa:

The unilateral declaration of secession was basically a declaration of war. Forget about when Nigeria fired first. There was no Biafran border, all was within the territory of Nigeria.
Nigerians are begging the north? Why don't you simply say the truth that the same thing one ibo man signed away with a pen, Ojukwu tried to retrieve it with a gun. I wonder if Ojukwu ever encouraged Ironsi in making the decree 34.

No way. It was the unilateral abrogation of the Aburi agreement by Gowon which caused secession which in turn caused war. That same Aburi agreement made Nigeria even more federal in nature than before Ironsi came to power.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by SuperStriker: 2:58pm On Nov 18, 2016
MrMcJay:
For those saying Ojukwu fought and lost,

1. The ONLY Biafran offensive throughout the war consisted of more than 5,000 Biafran Soldiers was led by Yoruba man named Col. Victor Banjo.

2. The Biafran offensive of more than 5,000 soldiers was stopped at Ore by 179 Yoruba Soldiers led by Colonel Oyinlade Iluyomade.

3. The 3rd Marine Commando, that eventually spearheaded the end of the three-year war in January 1970, was led by another Yoruba man named Benjamin Adekunle.

4. After Ojukwu ran away to Abidjan dresses like an aunty, the Biafran army surrendered to another man named Olusegun Obasanjo.

Let no one distort history, while none of Ojukwu's children or relations died of starvation during the war, Millions of Biafran children died of kwashiokor and other malnutrition-related diseases. When food supplies were dropped by airplanes, instead of distributing the food to the hungry Biafrans, Ojukwu and his soldiers sold these food to those who could afford it.

When the relief agencies dropped used clothing for the Biafran population, these same Biafran Soldiers seized and sold these clothes to those who could afford them.

The true heroes of Biafra are men like Banjo, Men like Effiong, Biafran men who fought with just a rifle and two bullets and not opportunistic and cowardly turncoats like Ojukwu who led his soldiers into slaughter and ran away only to came back to collect pension from the Nigerian Government.

Biafran soldiers decimated your Nigerian soldiers that is a recorded FACT!!!! Nigerian with over 120,000 had a military casualties of 40, 000 men while biafran with only 30,000 men (all ill equipped unlike the Nigerian soliders) had 15,000 men. Infact, it's documented that 40,000 members died from your side..the soliders announced that it was in fact (500,000 men). Alabi-Isama himself stated that the Nigerian soliders/army was at least a million

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/biafran-soldiers-protest-in-ibadan/

Meaning your own government lied on it'so number just to save face...no wonder they removed history from school curriculum. Anyway, this means that men of 30,000 slapped men of a million which had more weapons than them so silly that they pathetically avoided them to seek their civilians like the cowards they are (evidence supports that weak tactics considering obasanjo attacking the bayelsa village, killing several innocent civilians when he couldn't defeat Massob. Similar to how your Buhari is currently attacking civilian communities when he couldn'the get to NDA)
Your loser ass army have always been the WEAK mofo they are even with assistance. If not for Western nation assisting Nigeria and the Nigerian army didn't pathetically go after Civilians and fought like real men, Biafra soliders would have slaughtered those men and this is a fact.

Btw: Next time you want to wrote jargon stories, be smart enough to make sure NONE of the participants of the war have not spoken regarding the discussion

Here's a quote from Alabi-Isama who was one of Nigerian Army greatest assert back then

https://www.google.com/amp/thenationonlineng.net/how-murtalas-error-caused-death-of-1500-federal-troops-in-a-day-alabi-isama-in-memoirs/amp/?client=ms-android-verizon

Even your obasanjo lost 1000 men in ONE HOUR against the biafran soliders

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/06/19/civil-war-the-many-lies-of-obasanjo/

Example of real men, not the bunch of cowards who got defeated by women, as well as their land taken from them and till date, theyou still being ruled over. Must such to be yoloba Savage. No wonder una are still Norths b1tch till this very day.

The statistics
http://wars.findthedata.com/l/105/Nigerian-Civil-War
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Civil_War

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by SAHACO(m): 3:01pm On Nov 18, 2016
I'm BACK and doing what i do best. Mynd44 U no do well ooo but I go forgive U, because I'm the son of Chukwu Okike Abiama.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Security Operatives Stop Journalists, Kanu’s Lawyer From Court Premises / Festus Keyamo Meets Wike & Tuggar To Solve Issues About Abuja Runway & Emirates / FG Launches Probe Into Onnoghen’s 13-year Salary Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.