Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,105 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today (23968 Views)

Igbos Abandoned Philip Effiong Who Died A Biafra Rebel, Ojukwu Rewarded - Ekefre / Buhari, Yahaya Bello, Ikpeazu & Others Honored At Daily Times 91st Anniversary / Ipob Replies Obong Attah : You Are Clueless,remember Philip Effiong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Baltazarcus(m): 5:07pm On Nov 18, 2016
oglalasioux:
Ojukwu tried for us but he executed the war poorly. Testimonies from his own Chief of General Staff, Alexander Madiebo, Cyprian Ekwensi (Divided We Stand), Tony Ubesie (Isi Akwu Dara n'ala), and others suggest he ran a one man show. Unfortunately he didn't learn from the mistakes of Adolf Hitler and Napoleon Bonaparte who were both defeated by England : same England that made sure Gowon used their system of dispiriting the populace to win the war.

Once the enemy achieves the objective of starving the civilian population, the war is as good as over. Ojukwu lost the war to hunger and not the Nigerian military.

hahahahahhahaha bro
neither Napoleon nor Hitler lost the war to Britain , they lost because of the failed invasion of Russia, go and check ur history, the british only captalised from their lost and form alliance from other europeans to consolidate their victory.

has the British ever won a major war single handedly ? they always seek and form alliances.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by giftedben: 5:07pm On Nov 18, 2016
OJUcrook:
Philip Effiong is the real Civil war hero on the Biafran side. He did not run away, he stood his ground and surrendered because he knew the odds were stacked against the Biafrans.

However, Ojukwu, the initiator of the war, could not equip his army properly, he could not feed his civilians adequately yet he once boasted before the commencement of hostilities that he had the largest army in Black Africa and that the other side(Nigeria) will be shocked as to what they will get from him. Ojukwu boasted that he would fight till the last drop of his blood but when the federal forces closed in on him, he ignominiously ran away to Abidjan after commandeering a plane that was meant to airlift sick Biafran children, abandoning the civilians he swore to protect.

Alhaji Shehu Shagari later granted Ojukwu amnesty in 1982 after twelve years in exile. In 1983 Ojukwu contested in the Senatorial election, he also contested in the 2003 and 2007 Presidential elections but lost woefully on all occassions.

It is highly preposterous that a man who led a war against Nigeria, came back to Nigeria and participated in elections in the same country he fought against

Afonjass and lies be like 5 & 6. Just like wole soyinka and his mouth action.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 5:13pm On Nov 18, 2016
LorDBolton:

LMAO... Bros obviously you're not well versed in war stretegy @ all.

Since u have google, pls Google world war 1 & world war 2 and share with us a screenshot of the casualty figures n explain why the allies won.

Lemme explain the figures u wil see for you...

an invading force will always loose a lot of men. Because they're crossing enemy lines.

Do u think the enemy will sit down and wait? They will lay booby traps and ambushes for the invading force which will decimate their numbers...

For example; if NA are crossing river niger (like murtala mohammed RIP tried) do u expect the biafran forces to siddon look? They will obviously be firing at the NA (thus NA would have already lost @least 50 men b4 even reaching half of the journey)

Now if u check online many nigerian army losses were due to AMBUSH. The greatest igbo soldier kaduna died during an encirclement/ambush his forces tried on the NA (I think @ ph)

Ask yourself why it was so easy to chase the biafran forces out of mid-west when they invaded?

Sir pls if u don't know about war don't talk. Those dead soldiers were the cost of victory.

Trash. Biafran forces couldn't hold unto the Midwest because:

1. Holding unto the Midwest was never the plan. The plan was to launch a surprise attack through the Midwest to capture Lagos and decapitate Nigerian military headquarters anchored there.
Ojukwu naively believed that the Arewa military was headquartered in Lagos against the Afonja's wish. This also could explain why he handed such a crucial mission in the war, to an Afonja soldier to lead. If only he knew better...

2. There was never a way Biafran soldiers could have held unto Midwest. They had not the numbers nor the weapons to defend the entire territory without exposing the Eastern region.
They would be spread too thin.
The logical decision was to return back to the East, once the Lagos mission failed after Banjo compromised the mission.

None of this had anything to do with the trash you were reeling out there.
Biafrans were better soldiers than Nigerians,they made use of whatever advantage they had to accomplish their goals. In the end though, lack of weapons on the Biafran side and abundant of such on the Nigerian side, decided the war.

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Baltazarcus(m): 5:14pm On Nov 18, 2016
Victorvexz:
Am sorry to say this, but hitler was a brave man than Ojukwu. When world war 2 was almost coming to an end, and Germany was almost captured, Hitler had the chance to run away. He had a network of underground tunnel that he can easily used to escape, he had the chance of using an aircraft to run away, but he did not. Although his ideology was evil, he still believed in it and died for it, instead of surrendering or get captured by the soviet army or the American army, he preferred to commit suicide rather than admit defeat. That is what Ojukwu could have done considering the fact that he led 3 million souls to their death.

you speak of hitler as if you have read all accounts of him and the ww2. know this , hitler never committed suicide in the bunker , what was found dead on the bunker ie the charred remains of Hitler and Eva braun was their double , the main Hitler and Eva braun fled to Argentina, As comfirmed by Joseph Stalin , the Soviet dictator
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by oglalasioux(m): 5:15pm On Nov 18, 2016
pazienza:

There can never be a protagonist without antagonists.

Ojukwu could have never carried everyone along!

Comparing Ojukwu who was fighting a war of survival with Napoleon and Hitler that were fighting wars of annexation and imperialism exposes your ignorance on this issue.

Yes I agree with you that Ojukwu made mistakes in executing the war. But this is only hindsight, and it's always 20/20.

How can you agree that Ojukwu made mistakes in executing the war and still call me ignorant on the issue?

We love Ojukwu for his courage and pan Igbonism but he executed the war poorly.

How many books have you read on the war? What researches have you done on your own? Ojukwu should have known better than to undermine the advice of the non Igbo speaking areas especially his fall out with Okoi Arikpo and Zik.

You can't be 33 years old and disregard the advice of 50 year olds. That was where Ojukwu started fucking up. He executed the war poorly. That's the bitter truth.

As for comparing him with Hitler and Napoleon, you only have to understand the mathematics of war to know why Ojukwu bleeped up.

5 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by LorDBolton(m): 5:16pm On Nov 18, 2016
pazienza:

No disrespect, but you sound retarded.

1. Ojukwu handed over to Effiong and instructed the terms for conceding the war .
Igbophobic Nigerians were chanting for Ojukwu's head. Should Ojukwu had conceded, he would have been locked up and killed by Nigerians. They would disgrace him and that wouldn't be good for the Igbo psychology. With Ojukwu alive and breathing, many believed the future was still bright. Ndiigbo needed that hope to wriggle out of the ignominy of loss of the war.

2. Ojukwu didn't declare secession over night. Gowon rejected terms and conditions agreed upon in Aburi. He wanted a brand of Nigeria not suitable to Easterners. A nation is meant to serve people's interest, and not people a nation's interest.
Right to self determination is a universal right.

3. Why wasn't Awo and Gowon kids in the battle front fighting for one Nigeria, since they so much loved one Nigeria. Not every Igbo people starved during the war. Communities where the war didn't reach were busy farming and feeding alright, so this your point is silly.
Ifeajuna betrayed the struggle and many died because of his betrayal, not forgetting the fact that he was an integral part of the ill thought Nzeogwu coup and set the balls rolling. Banjo was an Afonja who compromised the Biafran March to capture Lagos after discussing with his Afonja people. He was rightly killed by Ojukwu.

4. Ojukwu has every right to contest for elections in Nigeria. He was never anti Nigeria, he was anti the brand of one Nigeria propagated by Gowon and his likes. If his contesting Of elections in Nigeria is your headache, you can as well go and do the needful.

Saddam and Gaddafi both died hiding in holes. They didn't die at the battle front. They wanted to flee, but it was too late for them.
Moreover, you are a nobody to tell a people like Ndiigbo who your own insignificant people can't achieve half of their achievements, who and who not to call a hero.

If Ndiigbo say that Ojukwu is a Biafran Hero, then he is. It's not up to you and your insignificant people to accept or deny.

No offence but your retort Is puerile.

If a gibbon could write it'd give a better retort

I had a good laugh reading it tho.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 5:17pm On Nov 18, 2016
Baltazarcus:

you speak of hitler as if you have read all accounts of him and the ww2. know this , hitler never committed suicide in the bunker , what was found dead on the bunker ie the charred remains of Hitler and Eva braun was their double , the main Hitler and Eva braun fled to Argentina, As comfirmed by Joseph Stalin , the Soviet dictator

Many Nazis fled to Argentina when Nazi Germany fell to the allied forces.

It's possible Hitler was among them. But nobody is really sure.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 5:23pm On Nov 18, 2016
oglalasioux:

How can you agree that Ojukwu made mistakes in executing the war and still call me ignorant on the issue?

We love Ojukwu for his courage and pan Igbonism but he executed the war poorly.

How many books have you read on the war? What researches have you done on your own? Ojukwu should have known better than to undermine the advice of the non Igbo speaking areas especially his fall out with Okoi Arikpo and Zik.

You can't be 33 years old and disregard the advice of 50 year olds. That was where Ojukwu started fucking up. He executed the war poorly. That's the bitter truth.

As for comparing him with Hitler and Napoleon, you only have to understand the mathematics of war to know why Ojukwu bleeped up.

What are you speaking of?

When someone loses, there are always mistakes to be pointed at. But if he wins, most mistakes are forgotten.

Ojukwu made mistakes, but they were honest ones.

How exactly did Ojukwu undermine the advice of Eastern minorities? When he had men like Akpan, Kogbara, Opigo, kings of Bakana, Ekpeye, etc with him through out the whole journey. And some of these kings even chose to abdicate their throne than betray Ojukwu and Biafra when their region fell to the federal forces.

Ojukwu was always open to UN supervised plebiscite in the non Igbo areas of Biafra throughout the war period, cos he was confident of the outcome of such plebiscite.

We had Eastern consultative assembly.

It's normal for people to now come and talk trash about Biafra and Ojukwu, because he lost, but we will not accept history revisionism aimed at tarnishing his image.
Never!

7 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 5:24pm On Nov 18, 2016
LorDBolton:

No offence but your retort Is puerile.

If a gibbon could write it'd give a better retort

I had a good laugh reading it tho.

Go on! Keep on laughing at your own folly.
Like I care.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 5:24pm On Nov 18, 2016
Hehehe.... wey my mat, my popcorn and my malt drink? cheesy Na on top this thread I go match brake today.

Nothing wey person no go see for here. Biafran soldiers did not want to hold on to the Mid-West .... hehehe.... yet they appointed a military administrator for them, and even renamed the whole area. I love this tales by moonlight! cheesy Wonders shall never end! cool

cc: EdCure, PenSniper, Mulattoclaro, LordBolton, T8ksy, rusher14, BornStunner1, KingOvoramwen1, martineverest, donphilopus, freemanbubble, osezua, jpphilips, basingstoke, Ivory2009, macof

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by berrystunn(m): 5:26pm On Nov 18, 2016
BjDreamchaser:

That's just the fact. And am sure you will apply to clean my shoe if you get to meet me offline. I doubt that tho... Because I don't roll with people of your caliber. Let me know if you need any financial assistance, I will be glad to help you.. True talk coolu

I wish we can have a meeting point anywhere in the world... Big cities like, Paris, new York, London, Singapore, Japan.... Its will be a good start to prove, what you cleam to be.... Choose time and date.

Call it a weekend trip...
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by LorDBolton(m): 5:30pm On Nov 18, 2016
pazienza:

Trash. Biafran forces couldn't hold unto the Midwest because:

1. Holding unto the Midwest was never the plan. The plan was to launch a surprise attack through the Midwest to capture Lagos and decapitate Nigerian military headquarters anchored there.
Ojukwu naively believed that the Arewa military is headquartered in Lagos against the Afonja's wish. This also could explain why he handed such a crucial mission in the war, to an Afonja soldier to lead. If only he knew better...

2. There was never a way Biafran soldiers could have held unto Midwest. They had not the numbers nor the weapons to defend the entire territory without eexposing the Eastern region.
They would be spread too thin.
The logical decision was to return back to the East, once the Lagos mission failed after Banjo compromised the mission.

None of this had anything to do with the trash you were reeling out there.
Biafrans were better soldiers than Nigerians,they made use of whatever advantage they had to accomplish their goals. In the end though, lack of weapons on the Biafran side and abundant of such on the Nigerian side, decided the war.

I will appreciate u don't quote me again bruv I know brainwashed people when I interact with them and you're certainly one of them .

First u don't know the initial reason for the mid west invasion...

Second u got no clue why the MW was easily taken...

Third u have no clue about the impossibility of the lagos mission & why banjo needed the MW to join the biafran cause something ojukwu fcked up by naming an igbo man president.

Third u know nothing about difference between attack n defence in fact I just dey laugh for here.

If ur I.Q can't better a gibbon then how can I relate with u?

Pls I use ojukwu beg u never quote me again. Find a congress to relate with

5 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Victorvexz(m): 5:31pm On Nov 18, 2016
Baltazarcus:

Google is ur friend. Read!!!
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 5:31pm On Nov 18, 2016
T8ksy:

Ojukwu didn't invade the midwest- an erstwhile neutral region rather he "liberated the area foisting his own man on the people before proceeding to the Western region to "liberate" them, too.

None of theses region asked ojukwu to liberate them . Meanwhile, Ojukwu claimed his sole aim was to seek freedom for his people but ended up occupying neighbouring regions.

And who foisted Ejoor on mid west?

Was he an elected officer?

The last democratic leader of Midwest before the break of hostilities was an Anioma son by the name, Dennis Osadebey. The man Ojukwu used to replace Ejoor was also an Anioma son, who was many times more qualified than Ejoor to lead the region. cool

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by LorDBolton(m): 5:36pm On Nov 18, 2016
laudate:
Hehehe.... wey my mat, my popcorn and my malt drink? cheesy Na on top this thread I go match brake today.

Nothing wey person no go see for here. Biafran soldiers did not want to hold on to the Mid-West .... hehehe.... yet they appointed a military administrator for them, and even renamed the whole area. I love this tales by moonlight! cheesy Wonders shall never end! cool

cc: EdCure, PenSniper, Mulattoclaro, LordBolton

Do u mind that Very dull guy.

They tried tooth-and-nail to kill ejoor

Infact he's as stupid as the ojukwu whose blunder opened up the "neutral" Midwest to FG who now launched decisive actions from there against biafran forces who were blowing up every bridge while retreating.

Thieves who looted the city and CBN

Azzin i'm perturbed that guy could be soo dull

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Arch1: 5:37pm On Nov 18, 2016
laudate:

Boss Man, Can you please recommend me books about the Biafra war. Those written by both foreign and local authors. Thanks
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 5:38pm On Nov 18, 2016
LorDBolton:
Do u mind that Very dull guy.

They tried tooth-and-nail to kill ejoor

Infact he's as stupid as the ojukwu whose blunder opened up the "neutral" Midwest to FG who now launched decisive actions from there against biafran forces who were blowing up every bridge while retreating.

Thieves who looted the city and CBN

Azzin i'm perturbed that guy could be soo dull

They guy has a Ph.d when it comes to turning logic on its' head. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 5:40pm On Nov 18, 2016
LorDBolton:

I will appreciate u don't quote me again bruv I know brainwashed people when I interact with them and you're certainly one of them .

First u don't know the initial reason for the mid west invasion...

Second u got no clue why the MW was easily taken...

Third u have no clue about the impossibility of the lagos mission & why banjo needed the MW to join the biafran cause something ojukwu fcked up by naming an igbo man president.

Third u know nothing about difference between attack n defence in fact I just dey laugh for here.

If ur I.Q can't better a gibbon then how can I relate with u?

Pls I use ojukwu beg u never quote me again. Find a congress to relate with

Trash!

Before Ejoor was foisted on Mid west as a military leader, was an Ibo man by the name Osadebey from Asaba not the premier of the Midwest?
Are you saying that it's acceptable for a democratically elected premier Of Anioma origin to be replaced by non Igbo military officer, but bad for this same non Igbo military officer to be replaced by an Igbo one? grin
You are not funny.

Banjo didn't need Midwest joining him. He needed to carry out Lagos invasion as fast as possible as the success of the mission depended on "element of surprise", which Banjo threw away after discussing at length with his Afonja people.

Midwest was invaded because it was the closest route from the East to Lagos. Nothing more and nothing less.

Keep laughing at your folly.

Leave Ojukwu alone, you have no respect for him or his legacy. Stop the pretence already and join your Afonja brothers.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by oglalasioux(m): 5:41pm On Nov 18, 2016
Baltazarcus:

hahahahahhahaha bro
neither Napoleon nor Hitler lost the war to Britain , they lost because of the failed invasion of Russia, go and check ur history, the british only captalised from their lost and form alliance from other europeans to consolidate their victory.

has the British ever won a major war single handedly ? they always seek and form alliances.

Napoleon withdrew from Russia but lost outrightly to England. That I'm sure of.

England played a major role in German loss in Russia. They forged the intelligence report that made Hitler invade Russia and Japan bomb Pearl Harbour.

It was England that won ww2. Believe it or not.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by LorDBolton(m): 5:56pm On Nov 18, 2016
laudate:

He gives stupidity a whole new meaning I can't quote such a character.

It is because of this stupidity Till today pro-biafran igbos don't know why they lost the war.

He says ejoor was forced on THE MW but didn't say ojukwu was forced on the eastern region as military administrator too after the same coup o

Don't engage people like him

7 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Princedapace(m): 5:56pm On Nov 18, 2016
Alariwo2:

ojukwu wore blouse and skirt then fled instead of ending himself. A cowardly act
Don't try too hard

If only u can fight for one minute...I will listen to u..

U think sey war na for mouth... My brother...I appreciate the guy for fighting at least...

We the present Nigerian youths are the real cowards... Politicians oppress us with corruption and loot us dry and u and I can't even speak.. We are the real cowards...not men who lived to fight bloody war for 3 years..

I'm sure if u hear bomb now, u go denounce ur religion sef

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Jaymaestro(m): 6:10pm On Nov 18, 2016
oglalasioux:

Napoleon withdrew from Russia but lost outrightly to England. That I'm sure of.

England played a major role in German loss in Russia. They forged the intelligence report that made Hitler invade Russia and Japan bomb Pearl Harbour.

It was England that won ww2. Believe it or not.
I am only curious but how did England win wwII? I read US entry changed the war with historical facts. In fact, WWll saw the change in world power from France and Britain Empire to US and then Soviet Union.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 6:11pm On Nov 18, 2016
Arch1:
Boss Man, Can you please recommend me books about the Biafra war. Those written by both foreign and local authors. Thanks

Well, I will try to recommend a few. undecided

There are many perspectives of the war, because there were many participants in that war. War is not pretty. And there are always casualties, on all sides. sad

Different books on the events that took place at that time need to be read along with other accounts of the Civil War, in order to compare the different perspectives so that readers can draw their own conclusions. Some of the books listed below are independent accounts of the war.

Please read the following:

1). Reflections on the Nigerian Civil War : Facing the Future by Ralph Uwechue
Publisher: Trafford Publishing (2004) 236pp
ISBN-1412223628,
ISBN-9781412223621
Read the review here: http://meniru..com/2009/10/ojukwu-or-uwechue-who-is-biafran-war.html

2). Oil, Politics and Violence: Nigeria's Military Coup Culture (1966-1976) by Max Siollun
Published by Algora Publishing (2009) 268pp.
ISBN-13: 978-0875867083
ISBN-10: 0875867081
Read the review here: https://maxsiollun./my-book/

3). The Biafran War: The Struggle for Modern Nigeria by Michael Gould
Published by I. B. Tauris (2013) 288pp
ISBN-10: 1780764634
ISBN-13: 978-1780764634

4). There Was a Country: A Personal History of Biafra Hardcover by Chinua Achebe
Publisher: Penguin Press; US (2012) 352pp
ISBN-10: 9781594204821
ISBN-13: 978-1594204821
ASIN: 1594204829
Please read the 1st review here: http://www.nigeriaintel.com/2013/03/31/biafra-the-facts-the-fiction/
Please read the 2nd review: http://www.amazon.com/There-Was-Country-Personal-History/dp/1594204829/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
Please read the 3rd review: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/opinion/108978-achebes-there-was-a-country-an-outsiders-review-by-femke-van-zeijl.html ; http://adegoke.info/2015/04/19/stop-teaching-tribal-superiority/

4). The Nigerian Revolution and the Biafran War by Alexander A. Madiebo
Publisher: Fourth Dimension Publishing Co.; Reissue edition (2000) 424pp
ISBN-10: 9781561173
ISBN-13: 978-9781561177
2 reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Nigerian-Revolution-Biafran-War/dp/9781561173

5) The Tragedy of Victory: On-the-spot Account of the Nigeria-Biafra War in the Atlantic by Godwin Alabi-Isama
Publisher: Spectrum Books Limited, Ibadan, Nigeria (2013) 757pp
ASIN: B00G6HFDRQ
File Size: 18071 KB
Kindle e-book available
Please read the review here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Tragedy-Victory-spot-Nigeria-Biafra-ebook/dp/B00G6HFDRQ
Please read the 2nd review: http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/02/alabi-isamas-tragedy-of-victory-a-review-2/

According to Nigerian scholars in 2011, over 69 books and pamphlets, 53 government publications, 3 bibliographies and various theses have
been published on the 30 month long Nigerian Civil War that took place between 1967 and 1970. In the US, over 2,000 books were written about their own civil war.

So there is still a need to write more. People need to tell their stories about what happened during the war, because in the words of Chimamanda Adichie "we all remember differently." sad

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by gidgiddy: 6:21pm On Nov 18, 2016
LorDBolton:

To be honest your analysis is greatly flawed.

#1- ojukwu didn't flee to ensure a peaceful end to the war, what war was left to fight? When they were closing in on him? He fled cos he didn't want to 'concede defeat' and also 'didn't want to die'. He is a coward.

Wanna know a brave man? Google saddam and gaddafi not a spineless rotting corpse called ojukwu

I never said Ojukwu fled so that there would be peace, I said that his leaving ensured there was a peacefull end to the war. Besides, Ojukwu had been briefed that the center could no longer hold and the end was near. There was no other point but to exit. Saddam and Gaddafi both fled like Ojukwu, the only difference was that Ojukwu was the wise one who got away while the other two left it too late and were surrounded. Both men were caught as they tried to flee. Both paid with their lives. Only a very stupid Soldier sees that then end is near and stays to die while he has an escape route.

#2- the governor of the east(ojukwu) declared independence, thus he declared war...or did u expect naija to say Ok? Reannexation was the normal course of action.

Why did Ojukwu secede? Do you know that Ojukwu at first ignored the wishes of his people to pull the Eastern Region out of Nigeria and went to Ghana to sign a peace deal with Gowon so that there would be 'one Nigeria'? What did you expect Ojukwu to do when Gowon broke that agreement? There were only two choices left to Ojukwu, bow down and submit his people to Northern controlled Nigeria or declare independence and fight for freedom. Everybody else chose the former out of their fear of the North, only Ojukwu was brave enough to choose the later. It is a courageous man who fights for his freedom, it is a coward who accepts slavery without putting up a fight

[#3- do u dispute the fact his kids were well fed during the war? Or that he executed ifejauna ( a man with more credibility than him) and banjo who tried negotiating a surrender earlier? (thus ojukwu prolonged the war). Yet still fled!

I dont know about Ojukwus kids being well fed during the war, it wasnt Ojukwu who was starving people. It was Nigeria that blockaded Biafra and used starvation as an instrument of war. Today, that method is recognised as a war crime in the ICC. How was Ifeajuna more qualified than Ojukwu? Why did Ojukwu execute Ifeajuna? Ifeajuna was just a common coup plotter who tried to remove Ojukwu as head of state and Ojukwu had him arrested, tried and executed.

#4-. If he had any self respect he wouldn't have contested those elections, he would have quietly and honorably sit back but NO he still wanted power.

Most Igbos will always love him tho...but to the rest of us (non-igbos) who know history we'll forever see him as a failure.

When Ojukwu was a Biafran, you people were against him. When he returned from exile, accepted 'one Nigeria' and exercised his constitutional right to seek elective office, you were against him. If you people didnt like him contesting elections in Nigeria then you people should have supported him to have his Biafra were he could contest. You cant push a person down and at the same time take away the ground where they will fall.

Ojukwu did not fight to be a Nigerian hero, he fought to be a hero of his people and lovers of freedom.

He will forever be treasured as the man who fought to liberate his people from the British created colonial slavery commonly refered to as 'one Nigeria'

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Arch1: 6:25pm On Nov 18, 2016
laudate:

Well, I will try to recommend a few. undecided

There are many perspectives of the war, because there were many participants in that war. War is not pretty. And there are always casualties, on all sides. sad

Different books on the events that took place at that time need to be read along with other accounts of the Civil War, in order to compare the different perspectives so that readers can draw their own conclusions. Some of the books listed below are independent accounts of the war.

Please read the following:

According to Nigerian scholars in 2011, over 69 books and pamphlets, 53 government publications, 3 bibliographies and various theses have
been published on the 30 month long Nigerian Civil War that took place between 1967 and 1970. In the US, over 2,000 books were written about their own civil war.

So there is still a need to write more. People need to tell their stories about what happened during the war, because in the words of Chimamanda Adichie "we all remember differently." sad
Thanks Boss

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by dubemivan(m): 7:02pm On Nov 18, 2016
OJUcrook:
No that is not all. There is more to the story: Nnamdi Azikiwe was the one that composed the Biafran National anthem but he ran away from Biafra. Ojukwu was the one that declared Biafra but he also ran away from Biafra. All the Biafran leaders all ran away from Biafra after sending 3million civilians to the slaughter slab.

Of particular interest is Ojukwu, the Head-of-State of Biafra. While Biafran children were dieing of Kwarshiorkor and starvation, Ojukwu's own children were feeding fat and looking healthy. Ojukwu was never at the war front. He was hiding from one under ground bunker to another throughout the duration of the war.

When Enugu the capital of Biafra fell, Ojukwu ran away to Umuhia. When Umuhia fell, he ran deeper into the Biafra heartland. He was running all through the war until he eventually ran away to Abidjan. It is rumoured that while he was on exile in Ivory Coast, he lived comfortably in a sea side masion, eating the choicest delicacies and dancing Makossa daily with Abidjan girls
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by kettle84(m): 7:02pm On Nov 18, 2016
OJUcrook:
You are the ignorant one here. Ojukwu's Biafra had nothing to do with self determination, it was a territorial annexation exercise. Colonel David Ejoor, the military administrator of the midwest proclaimed that the midwest would take no part in the fighting, it was to be neutral, a buffer state. The Federal government accepted this situation and concentrated its fighting force - The 1st division on the only frontier over which it could attack Biafra, namely the border which separated the Eastern region from the Benue Province of the Northern Region.

Ojukwu on his own part did not respect the midwest neutrality. He invaded the midwest, forcefully appointed Major Albert Okonkwo, an ibo man as the administrator of the region, and then ordered his Biafran Liberation Army to march to Lagos and Ibadan
the same Nigeria bombarded Asaba and other igbo areas of the Midwestern region which you said was neutral.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by dubemivan(m): 7:03pm On Nov 18, 2016
OJUcrook:
No that is not all. There is more to the story: Nnamdi Azikiwe was the one that composed the Biafran National anthem but he ran away from Biafra. Ojukwu was the one that declared Biafra but he also ran away from Biafra. All the Biafran leaders all ran away from Biafra after sending 3million civilians to the slaughter slab.

Of particular interest is Ojukwu, the Head-of-State of Biafra. While Biafran children were dieing of Kwarshiorkor and starvation, Ojukwu's own children were feeding fat and looking healthy. Ojukwu was never at the war front. He was hiding from one under ground bunker to another throughout the duration of the war.

When Enugu the capital of Biafra fell, Ojukwu ran away to Umuhia. When Umuhia fell, he ran deeper into the Biafra heartland. He was running all through the war until he eventually ran away to Abidjan. It is rumoured that while he was on exile in Ivory Coast, he lived comfortably in a sea side masion, eating the choicest delicacies and dancing Makossa daily with Abidjan girls

It is better to shut up than utter rubbish! Zik is a Nationalist and a founding father of Nigeria he was never in support of Biafra. OJUKWU was the architect and financed the entire war. His father was the Richest then and he sacrificed his inheritance to engage in the war! Why should he be running when his position and also his fathers wealth is given off? only a Fool will act otherwise. after all he was a Colonel then not a civillian. War was not strange to him!
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by T9ksy(m): 7:58pm On Nov 18, 2016
laudate:

GBABE!!!

He's an ardent student of DEDEISM school of thought though at times i believe, it's a genetic trait.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Newmanluckyman(m): 8:02pm On Nov 18, 2016
Victorvexz:

Mr know all, why was Ojukwu then boasting as if he had nuclear weapons? How can u go to war without preparing. According to his statements in some interview, he spoke as if Nigeria had no chance in the war, he spoke as if he will win it. U all should be asking him why he had to lie to u people that he was prepared for the war, and not coming here to tell me I know nothing about wars. Ur hero was a coward, short and simple
... If not for anything, you supposed to be the reason why History as a subject supposed to be thought in the school.

Not every war u get to formally be prepared for. For instance, if the rampaging fulani herdsmen is leaving destruction and death along their path moving like a bloody thirsty vampire into the heart of South West to reduced it to smithereens will you tell them that "please give us some time to get prepared so that we can resist your occupation"?

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have responded to you. So next time you see an igbo man or woman around you, hug him, dough your cap for him because s/he fought like a hero, warrior to stop the evil rampaging forces of darkness marching eastwards to cause genocide, apocalypse and destruction.

Rest in peace all the eastern heroes(death and alive) ,eastern martyrs that lay their beloved lives for the values, dignity and sanctity of Justice we all cherish.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KelleneOkonkwo: 8:21pm On Nov 18, 2016
berrystunn:

Name one thing you have achieved,
There is nothing in your account,
But you have the time to write nonsense up in here.

Usu.

Okanga, I can feed the whole ijele for 50 years non stop. I am not your level, poverty is even your best friend.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KelleneOkonkwo: 8:22pm On Nov 18, 2016
[s]
AgentCocoa:

May his soul rest in piece, unlike the children killer and rat posion drinking master aka awolowo who was to cowardly to confront his fears and chose to eat rat food. cheesy cheesy
[/s]

Ojukwu remain a coward in real life and his after life. Your tears cant change history. Sorry kid

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Sunday Igboho Demystified! By Ozodinukwe Okenwa (Sahara Reporters) / IPOB Commences Printing Of 40 Million Ballot Papers For Referendum / Owerri: Roads And Roundabouts Flooded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.