Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,471 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today (23984 Views)

Igbos Abandoned Philip Effiong Who Died A Biafra Rebel, Ojukwu Rewarded - Ekefre / Buhari, Yahaya Bello, Ikpeazu & Others Honored At Daily Times 91st Anniversary / Ipob Replies Obong Attah : You Are Clueless,remember Philip Effiong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by oglalasioux(m): 8:30pm On Nov 18, 2016
Jaymaestro:

I am only curious but how did England win wwII? I read US entry changed the war with historical facts. In fact, WWll saw the change in world power from France and Britain Empire to US and then Soviet Union.

Whose machinations brought Russia and US into the war? What you need is research.

When you say 'British Empire' don't forget the Germans recognized war with England and no one else.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 8:37pm On Nov 18, 2016
omofunaab:
The fact that most igbos here on nairaland don't know the true meaning of hero is worrisome .

You called someone that took a plane meant to airlift sick biafran children a hero..

Someone that was never at the war front.. SMH for you guys.

Phillip effiong was actually the true hero

I don't know any Igbo person who has refused to acknowledge Philip Effiong as a hero. Calling Ojukwu a hero doesn't in any way belittle Effiong's heroic status. He stood up for his people just as Ojukwu did and most of us (Igbos) will always be grateful to him for that. Stop being so divisive.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KelleneOkonkwo: 8:41pm On Nov 18, 2016
pazienza:

Go on! Keep on laughing at your own folly.
Like I care.

You this jobless man. You have abandon your Igboid moniker and switch to this one again. That was how you told your kinsmen here to leave nairaland during the Rule 9 saga but you quickly switched to a new handle. Typical descendant of the coward Ojukwu. lol

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Neoguru1: 8:52pm On Nov 18, 2016
We Salute you sir, your efforts will not be in vain.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by KelleneOkonkwo: 9:02pm On Nov 18, 2016
[s]
Newmanluckyman:
... If not for anything, you supposed to be the reason why History as a subject supposed to be thought in the school.

Not every war u get to formally be prepared for. For instance, if the rampaging fulani herdsmen is leaving destruction and death along their path moving like a bloody thirsty vampire into the heart of South West to reduced it to smithereens will you tell them that "please give us some time to get prepared so that we can resist your occupation"?

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have responded to you. So next time you see an igbo man or woman around you, hug him, dough your cap for him because s/he fought like a hero, warrior to stop the evil rampaging forces of darkness marching eastwards to cause genocide, apocalypse and destruction.

Rest in peace all the eastern heroes(death and alive) ,eastern martyrs that lay their beloved lives for the values, dignity and sanctity of Justice we all cherish.
[/s]

Trash and lies. So you were avoiding destructions when you invaded the midwest down to Ore. You people lie so easily, ojukwu remains a coward and may he rot in hell. Phillip Effiong, Joe Achuzie, and Victor Banjo are the true biafran heroes.

7 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by jaybee(f): 9:52pm On Nov 18, 2016
Princedapace:

are u a kid?

he couldnt have stayed!

He was a leader and he must av been protected by his soldiers.. there is no way u expected him to stay.. he lost, yes but u expecting him to stay means u dont understand war or u are kidding..

i know what i said will still not make sense to u! Or u like the way Awolowo was jailed and humiliated and died? No, a wise leader will never allow that.. a wise leader chooses to die by his own gun rather to be captured or shot by his enemy.

Are you insinuating that the coward-in-thief hadno gun to do the needful?

6 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 10:04pm On Nov 18, 2016
jaybee:
Are you insinuating that the coward-in-thief had no gun to do the needful?

Chisos! shocked ROFLMAO! grin The malt wey dey my hand just fall down, as laugh grip me when I read your reply. Take time, o! cheesy You just let me waste di money wey I take buy this malt...

KelleneOkonkwo:
Trash and lies. So you were avoiding destructions when you invaded the midwest down to Ore. You people lie so easily, ojukwu remains a coward and may he rot in hell. Phillip Effiong, Joe Achuzie, and Victor Banjo are the true biafran heroes.
Those chaps you mentioned were not the only heroes.

The real heroes were the casualties of that war who were dragged into battles they were not consulted about, or equipped to fight.cry

The real heroes were the innocent voices of reason that tried to talk Ojukwu out of settling scores by using arms, whose counsel he did not heed.

The real heroes were those who protested against the brutality they saw within Ojukwu's Eastern enclave during those 30 months of horror, but whose calls were not heeded. Instead he called them saboteurs & cut short their existence. sad

The real heroes were those who lost friends, brothers, relatives and loved ones in that war, but still managed to pick up the pieces of their lives with scars in their hearts. undecided

May time continue to heal their pain.

5 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Lucasinho(m): 10:31pm On Nov 18, 2016
B*I*A*F*R*A will Rise AgaiN
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 10:46pm On Nov 18, 2016
Lucasinho:
B*I*A*F*R*A will Rise AgaiN

Keep dreaming... sad

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Princedapace(m): 10:47pm On Nov 18, 2016
jaybee:

Are you insinuating that the coward-in-thief hadno gun to do the needful?

but u sef know sey ur papa cant even stand that nigaa
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 10:47pm On Nov 18, 2016
KelleneOkonkwo:
You this jobless man. You have abandon your Igboid moniker and switch to this one again. That was how you told your kinsmen here to leave nairaland during the Rule 9 saga but you quickly switched to a new handle. Typical descendant of the coward Ojukwu. lol

Una no go kill person with laugh for dis place!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by omofunaab(m): 10:56pm On Nov 18, 2016
Ngozi123:

I don't know any Igbo person who has refused to acknowledge Philip Effiong as a hero. Calling Ojukwu a hero doesn't in any way belittle Effiong's heroic status. He stood up for his people just as Ojukwu did and most of us (Igbos) will always be grateful to him for that. Stop being so divisive.

Ojukwu doesn't deserve to be called an hero.

How can someone who took a plane meant to airlift sick biafran children to escape to cote d ivoire. Children malnourished, dying of hunger. His own life was more important than that of those innocent children and yet you call such person your hero.. .SMH

you guys have redefined heroism

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 11:05pm On Nov 18, 2016
Have you read the text and composition of Decree 8 of 1967? It more or less turned Nigeria into a confederation, making the regional governors powerful and the centre (SMC) quite weak.

Regional control of resources as agreed by the SMC was also provided for, in that decree.

That decree gave Ojukwu most of his demands and could have averted the civil war if he had agreed to it.

Ojukwu: Hero or Villain? | By Max Siollun on December 16, 2007

The federal government attempted to implement the Aburi agreement in diluted form by enacting a modified Constitution (Suspension and Modification) Decree which turned Nigeria into a de facto confederation. Ojukwu declined to accept the initial draft and insisted on a full and complete implementation of the accords reached at Aburi.

Nonetheless as the weaker party he could still have showed greater pragmatism to spare further suffering for his people. At this point Ojukwu’s decision making must be questioned. Ojukwu would have saved many lives had he shown a greater degree of flexibility by accepting the Decree as it gave him 90% of what he wanted. In the “winner takes all” mentality that is so symptomatic of Nigerian politics, Ojukwu unrealistically held out for 100% of his demands and in the end, received 0%.

His intransigence placed him and his people in a worse position than they started in. Rather than turning Nigeria into a confederation (which is what Decree 8 did), Ojukwu ’s intransigence gave the federal government an opportunity to overrun the Eastern Region, carve the country into several states and concentrate massive powers in the central government. Forty years later many Nigerians now call for the restructuring of Nigeria, and for devolution of power to its regions.

Ojukwu had a golden opportunity to achieve this over 40 years ago but squandered it. Had he shown some patience he may have achieved his objectives – albeit at a later date. The old adage is that “the best comes to those who wait.”

Ojukwu could have taken a leaf from the book of another infant country named Israel. For several decades Jews fought to be given their own state in what was then British Mandate Palestine. In 1947, they were granted their state but only on half the land that they wanted.

Realizing that it is best to accept what is achievable today, rather than risk holding out for 100% and getting nothing, Israel’s first leader David Ben-Gurion accepted a state but cleverly did not enunciate the borders of this state – this leaving the door open to agitate for more land at a later date. Today the “green line” borders of Israel encompass more land than it originally had at independence. [/color] https://maxsiollun./tag/ojukwu/
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 11:11pm On Nov 18, 2016
KelleneOkonkwo:

Lol!
I don't know who you are, but obviously you know me, and has been following me around like a shadow, grin a hallmark of joblessness.

You wish I had left for good, for you to continue your afonjaic propaganda unchallenged? Lol! No luck with such.
I am a man of my own, a free man. I make decisions and I decide when to rescind on them, when doing so serves a greater purpose. That's what free men do, they don't take rat poison to escape their challenges, they take them on grin Something I don't expect an Afonja to relate to.

Messi recently went back on his retirement plans, for the greater good, it doesn't make him a coward, it made him a free man. But I guess when your entire life revolve around eternal servitude to your fulani masters...

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 11:15pm On Nov 18, 2016
omofunaab:

Ojukwu doesn't deserve to be called an hero.

How can someone who took a plane meant to airlift sick biafran children to escape to cote d ivoire. Children malnourished, dying of hunger. His own life was more important than that of those innocent children and yet you call such person your hero.. .SMH

you guys have redefined heroism

It is not in your power to determine whether another group should call someone their hero or not as you are an outsider. On the one hand, people like you call Ojukwu a coward because he delayed surrendering for as long as possible, enabling many children to have been evacuated. On the other hand, people like you say that he was a coward because he surrendered too quickly, claiming that he thought his life more important than the lives of Biafran children. Which one is it?

Imo, he isn't a coward in any sense of the word. Cowardice would be him choosing to stay in his comfortable role as the leader of the Eastern region and enjoying his family's wealth whilst his people were being slaughtered in the North. If he didn't care about his people then why not just declare war from the offset? Why go to the effort of signing the Aburi Accord and trying to go through diplomatic means to alleviate the situation? Before you try to say that it was always Ojukwu's intention to go to war, let me tell you that the Biafran side was no where near ready for war when Nigeria declared war on them. Anything that Ojukwu said regarding the strength of the Biafran army at the start of the war was only said to raise morale for the civilians cum soldiers.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by elopee3000(m): 11:27pm On Nov 18, 2016
gidgiddy:

Go and read Nigerian history well before coming online to show your ignorance. The whole trouble started when Gowon broke the agreement he signed in Ghana with Ojukwu. What kind of 'police action' requires 3 Divisions of the Nigerian Army? Long before Ojukwu invaded the mid west, the Nigerian Army was already bombing parts of Nsukka and Ogoja. The war was already on before Ojukwu got into the mid west.

The 3 million people you are talking about were killed by Nigeria just because the people said they dont want 'one Nigeria' any more. Ojukwu fought a war to liberate his from Northern controlled Nigeria. There is no shame in anyone fighting for their freedom, even at the cost of millions of lives. The allied forces kost nearly 40 million people in the second world war to get freedom in Europe.

Ojukwu was a freedom fighter who fought the combined military might of Britain, Russia, Nigeria and Egypt and held firm for 3 years. When the end was near and the center coukd no longer hold, he exited. If you were waiting for him to stay back and get himself captured and killed in other to prove he is brave, keep waiting. Ojukwu would have been a fool to let this happen.

Ojukwu fough and lost. When you cant beat them, you join them and thats what he did by returning to join politics.

There can never be any shame on Ojukwus part for fighting for the freedom of his people.
mr man u ve too much time on ur side ooh what re u explaining to afonja person? pls leave that guy alone his an afonja nobody take them serious all over the world cus they change later like wole soyinka
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by omofunaab(m): 11:27pm On Nov 18, 2016
Ngozi123:

It is not in your power to determine whether another group should call someone their hero or not as you are an outsider. On the one hand, people like you call Ojukwu a coward because he delayed surrendering for as long as possible, enabling many children to have been evacuated. On the other hand, people like you say that he was a coward because he surrendered too quickly, claiming that he thought his life more important than the lives of Biafran children. Which one is it?

Imo, he isn't a coward in any sense of the word. Cowardice would be him choosing to stay in his comfortable role as the leader of the Eastern region and enjoying his family's wealth whilst his people were being slaughtered in the North. If he didn't care about his people then why not just declare war from the offset? Why go to the effort of signing the Aburi Accord and trying to go through diplomatic means to alleviate the situation? Before you try to say that it was always Ojukwu's intention to go to war, let me tell you that the Biafran side was no where near ready for war when Nigeria declared war on them. Anything that Ojukwu said regarding the strength of the Biafran army at the start of the war was only said to raise morale for the civilians cum soldiers.

You haven't addressed the issue that i raised instead you wrote long epistles

I repeat again.

I said ojukwu commandeered a plane meant to airlift hundreds of sick biafran children for his own personal safety.. Tell me does that shows heroism?

If you can't answer that question then please don't even bother to quote me

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 11:29pm On Nov 18, 2016
I can see that someone is back to to his slithering treacherous behavior, spreading propaganda up and down.

Well, not to worry. I will always be here to pour sand on your garri and watch you lots mourn and console yourselves. grin

Aburi agreement was not adhered to by Gowon. Gowon himself knows this. An agreement is reached after negotiations. Negotiations is where you give and take, once an agreement is reached, it can only be implemented or not implemented. There is nothing like "almost implemented". It's either implemented or not. cool

Now, let's hear from the late Oba of Bini perspective of the Aburi agreement. cool

3 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 11:31pm On Nov 18, 2016
When on March 15, the Secretary of the Benin Traditional Council, Mr. Frank Irabor, announced that “the leopard is ill in the Savannah bush”, we knew exactly what had happened to the Omo N’oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa (CFR), the 38th Oba of Benin, who was born on June 22, 1923 and ascended the throne on March 23, 1979.

Well, to an average Benin man or woman, such an announcement is well-understood. The Benin people value tradition and culture. And they are proud of it. I am from Ufosu in the Idanre Local Government Area of Ondo State that shares border with Edo State, so I should know.

The Oba of Benin is the traditional ruler of the Edo people and head of the historic Eweka dynasty of the Benin Empire.

The services of Oba Erediauwa are well-valued and will not be forgotten. Before becoming an Oba, as Prince Samuel Aiseokhuoba Igbinoghodua Akenzua, he was an outstanding civil servant. He, in fact, rose to become the Federal Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Health before he retired in 1973.

Along with others, he attended the Aburi meeting held at the Peduase Lodge where the conflict of Nigeria was discussed between January 4 and January 5, 1967. Aburi is a town in Ghana and a 45-minute drive from Accra, the capital of Ghana.

Those who attended the meeting were Lt. Col. Yakubu Gowon, Col. Robert Adebayo, Lt. Col. Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Lt. Col. David Ejoor, Lt. Col. David Hassan Katsina, Commodore J.E.A. Wey, Major Mobolaji Johnson, Alhaji Kam Selem and Mr. J. Omo-Bare. Others were Prince S.I.A. Akenzua (Permanent Under-Secretary, Federal Cabinet Office.), Mr. P.T. Odumosu (Secretary to the Military Government, West.), Mr. N.U. Akpan (Secretary to the Military Government, East.), Mr. D.P. Lawani (Under-Secretary, Military Governor’s Office, Mid-West) and Alhaji Ali Akilu (Secretary to the Military Government, North.) The Chairman of the Ghana National Liberation Council, Lt. Gen. J.A. Ankrah, declared the meeting open in his capacity as then the head of state of Ghana.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 11:31pm On Nov 18, 2016
The following was agreed upon: “That Army to be governed by the Supreme Military Council under a Chairman to be known as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces and Head of the Federal Military Government; Establishment of a Military Headquarters comprising equal representation from the regions and headed by a Chief of Staff; Creation of Area commands corresponding to existing regions and under the charge of Area commanders, matters of policy, including appointments and promotion to top executive posts in the Armed Forces and the Police to be dealt with by the Supreme Military Council. During the period of the Military Government, military governors will have control over area commands for internal security; Creation of a Lagos Garrison including Ikeja Barracks. In connection with the re-organisation of the Army, the council discussed the distribution of military personnel with particular reference to the present recruitment drive. The view was held that general recruitment throughout the country in the present situation would cause great imbalance in the distribution of soldiers. After a lengthy discussion of the subjects, the council agreed to set up a military committee on which each region will be represented, to prepare statistics which will show: Present strength of Nigeria Army; Deficiency in each sector of each unit; the size appropriate for the country and each area command; additional requirement for the country and each area command.

The committee is to meet and report to council within two weeks from the date of receipt of instructions. The council agreed that pending completion of the exercise in connection with re-organisation of the army, further recruitment of soldiers should cease. The implementation of the agreement reached on August 9, 1966, it was agreed, after a lengthy discussion, that it was necessary for the agreement reached on August 9 by the delegates of the Regional Governments to be fully implemented. In particular, it was accepted in principle that army personnel of Northern origin should return to the North from the West. It was therefore felt that a crash programme of recruitment and training, the details of which would be further examined after the committee to look into the strength and distribution of army personnel had reported, would be necessary to constitute indigenous army personnel in the West to a majority there quickly.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 11:32pm On Nov 18, 2016
As far as the regions were concerned, it was decided that all the powers vested by the Nigerian Constitution in the regions and which they exercised prior to January 15, 1966, should be restored to the regions. To this end, the Supreme Military Council decided that all decrees passed since the military take-over, and which tended to detract from the previous powers of the regions, should be repealed by January 21, after the Law Officers should have met on January 14 to list out all such decrees.”

The decisions at Aburi amounted to, in terms of political and military control of Nigeria, that the country should be governed as a confederation.

Suffice it to say that the vocal military officers like Lt. Col. Murtala Muhammed, Major Martin Adamu and Major Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma did not attend the Aburi meeting. Prince Akenzua along with top permanent secretaries including Alhaji Yusuf Gobir, Phillip Asiodu, Eme Ebong, B.N. Okagbue and Allison Ayida deconstructed in Lagos, all that was agreed in Aburi.

On arrival in Lagos, Prince Akenzua discussed with Gowon and raised objections to what was agreed in Aburi. Gowon asked him to raise a memo which he did. I am sure a copy of the memo is with Gowon today while a copy is in the archives in the Presidency. Civil servants are to be seen and not to be heard and that is why Akenzua never released a copy of the memo to the world.

The memo dated January 8, 1967 began with: “Your Excellency, in view of my discussion with you last night, I am raising this memo in the interest our fatherland, Nigeria”. Akenzua traced the long hard road that Nigeria had travelled and stressed on the need to keep a United Nigeria.

He said in the memo that Gowon had given too much away in Aburi and that it would lead to the destruction of the country. He further added that Gowon had “legalised” total regionalism which “will make the centre very weak.” Akenzua alluded in his memo that a weak centre would lead to confederation and total disintegration of the country. It was the memo that prompted Gowon to summon a meeting of the secretaries to the military governments and other officials which was held in Benin City between February 16 and 18, 1967. If you look at the minutes of the Benin meeting presided over by Mr. H. A. Ejueyitchie, Secretary to the Federal Military Government, you will discover that it was a total rejection of what was agreed upon in Aburi. The Benin meeting interpreted in its own way the agreement reached in Aburi.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 11:33pm On Nov 18, 2016
Till today, both sides (Gowon and Ojukwu till he died), interpreted what was agreed upon in Aburi in their own ways. One of the problems at Aburi was that a portion of the meeting was not recorded. The military excused the civilians at a certain stage during the meeting and it was alleged that during this informal chat that Gowon made certain commitments to Ojukwu especially on full regionalism.

Even till today, judging by the decisions reached at the last National Conference, we are still arguing on confederation or federalism.

As long as Nigeria remains one under federalism, the memo of Akenzua which was a wake-up call on Gowon and his efforts later will continue to be appreciated in no small measure.

The nation remembers and the nation appreciates.

http://www.punchng.com/biafra-memo-akenzua-aburi/

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 11:36pm On Nov 18, 2016
As far as the regions were concerned, it was decided that all the powers vested by the Nigerian Constitution in the regions and which they exercised prior to January 15, 1966, should be restored to the regions. To this end, the Supreme Military Council decided that all decrees passed since the military take-over, and which tended to detract from the previous powers of the regions, should be repealed by January 21, after the Law Officers should have met on January 14 to list out all such decrees.”

The decisions at Aburi amounted to, in terms of political and military control of Nigeria, that the country should be governed as a confederation.

Very important points.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 11:42pm On Nov 18, 2016
[b] On arrival in Lagos, Prince Akenzua discussed with Gowon and raised objections to what was agreed in Aburi. Gowon asked him to raise a memo which he did. I am sure a copy of the memo is with Gowon today while a copy is in the archives in the Presidency. Civil servants are to be seen and not to be heard and that is why Akenzua never released a copy of the memo to the world.

The memo dated January 8, 1967 began with: “Your Excellency, in view of my discussion with you last night, I am raising this memo in the interest our fatherland, Nigeria”. Akenzua traced the long hard road that Nigeria had travelled and stressed on the need to keep a United Nigeria.

He said in the memo that Gowon had given too much away in Aburi and that it would lead to the destruction of the country. He further added that Gowon had “legalised” total regionalism which “will make the centre very weak.” Akenzua alluded in his memo that a weak centre would lead to confederation and total disintegration of the country. It was the memo that prompted Gowon to summon a meeting of the secretaries to the military governments and other officials which was held in Benin City between February 16 and 18, 1967. If you look at the minutes of the Benin meeting presided over by Mr. H. A. Ejueyitchie, Secretary to the Federal Military Government, you will discover that it was a total rejection of what was agreed upon in Aburi. The Benin meeting interpreted in its own way the agreement reached in Aburi. [/b]

This was how evil elements in Nigeria, scuttled the agreements reached in Aburi and replaced it with their own version of cooked up arrangements.

Rendering the Aburi agreement null and void.
And they think they can come back 4 decades later to start their history revisionism unchallenged?

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 11:58pm On Nov 18, 2016
13 Before we left Ghana, we had our agreement that on return to Nigeria, I, as Nigeria’s Head of State should make the first broadcast after which the other Reional Governors would make theirs. Unfortunately, I was down with serious malaria that I could not make my broadcast but Ojukwu went on air as soon as he got back and claimed that we agreed to a Confederation to which I had always strongly objected. That and other actions taken by him and his government made us to carefully review the Aburi Agreement. I got the Secretary to the government and some Nigerian Senior Civil Servants to review it. They did and pointed out some serious ramifications of it. Those points were carefully considered and taken into account in drafting the Decree No 8 mentioned earlier. Whoever said that the Aburi Accord failed as a result of pressure mounted on the Federal side (i.e. me and the Federal Government team) to repudiate it was absolutely mistaken.
http://www.odogwublog.com/2015/04/gowon-visited-anambra-and-spoke-for.html?m=1
Gowon is a terrible liar. Akenzua submission already made it clear that Gowon agreed to "total regionalism" at Aburi.
He was simply talked out of it by Nigerian elements when he got home.
And he came back with his useless decree claiming that he had a different understanding of of agreement in Aburi.

Damn! The bloody liar even wants us to believe he probably had malaria during the Aburi deliberations. Perhaps as an explanation to why he claimed that he didn't understand the full implications of the agreement reached there.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 11:59pm On Nov 18, 2016
T9ksy:
GBABE!!!

He's an ardent student of DEDEISM school of thought though at times i believe, it's a genetic trait.

Hehehe, don't mind him. His middle name is 'Revisionist.' cheesy He always writes from a skewed & warped perspective. Take everything he tells you, with 10 pinches of salt. Because by the time you go back & verify what he has written, you will see that it is filled with half-truths, riddled with conjecture & twisted to suit his weird brand of propaganda. By the way.... what is 'DEDEISM School of Thought?' Can you shed more light on this? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by pazienza(m): 12:08am On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

He is not being divisive. He is being true to his Afonjaic nature. He can't help it. Just debunk his falsehood, and leave him to his demons. You can't save him, these people are irredeemable.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 12:19am On Nov 19, 2016
omofunaab:

You haven't addressed the issue that i raised instead you wrote long epistles

I repeat again.

I said ojukwu commandeered a plane meant to airlift hundreds of sick biafran children for his own personal safety.. Tell me does that shows heroism?

If you can't answer that question then please don't even bother to quote me

When has two paragraphs ever been considered an epistle?

By leaving at that moment, he probably saved millions more children so when you look at the bigger picture, it was indeed an act of heroism. It was also a very pragmatic course of action; had he stayed in the country, he would have been assassinated. If he had died at that moment then the Biafran dream would have died with him.
Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by T9ksy(m): 12:21am On Nov 19, 2016
laudate:

Hehehe, don't mind him. His middle name is 'Revisionist.' cheesy He always writes from a skewed & warped perspective. Take everything he tells you, with 10 pinches of salt. Because by the time you go back & verify what he has written, you will see that it is filled with half-truths, riddled with conjecture & twisted to suit his weird brand of propaganda. By the way.... what is 'DEDEISM School of Thought?' Can you shed more light on this? cheesy

Haba! Have you forgotten the mad old prof(?) Dede with his big grammers devoid of any iota of substance never mind fact,

so soon? Every discourse he jumps into, is always filled with inanities and sheer obfuscations, that's, when he's not trying to rewrite history with

the mind of a wounded soldier who's got a shrapnel stuck in his frontal lobe since the biafran (Nigerian) oil war.

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by laudate: 12:24am On Nov 19, 2016
T9ksy:
Haba! Have you forgotten the mad old prof(?) Dede with his big grammers devoid of any iota of substance never mind fact, so soon? Every discourse he jumps into, is always filled with inanities and sheer obfuscations, that's, when he's not trying to rewrite history with

the mind of a wounded soldier who's got a shrapnel stuck in his frontal lobe since the biafran (Nigerian) oil war.

Oh, yes!! shocked Now I remember.... LWKMD!! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by omofunaab(m): 12:31am On Nov 19, 2016
Ngozi123:

When has two paragraphs ever been considered an epistle?

By leaving at that moment, he probably saved millions more children so when you look at the bigger picture, it was indeed an act of heroism. It was also a very pragmatic course of action; had he stayed in the country, he would have been assassinated. If he had died at that moment then the Biafran dream would have died with him.

Chai And you are a lady.

Okay what has ojukwu being alive for so many years done to the biafran dream?

Ojukwu denounced biafra as a condition to come back from exile

He was given his father's properties but millions of biafrans died in the war..

Ojukwu preserved and cherish his life more than the so called biafran war.

You need to read up on war heroes.
Heroes are meant to make sacrifices and not sacrifice sick innocent children for their own safety.

Ojukwu cared more about his own safety than the safety of millions of biafran children dying everyday of hunger.

You guys have just redefined heroism.

Well you are free to call ojukwu your hero sha

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong's 91st Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ngozi123(f): 12:54am On Nov 19, 2016
omofunaab:

Chai And you are a lady.

Okay what has ojukwu being alive for so many years done to the biafran dream?

Ojukwu denounced biafra as a condition to come back from exile

He was given his father's properties but millions of biafrans died in the war..

Ojukwu preserved and cherish his life more than the so called biafran war.

You need to read up on war heroes.
Heroes are meant to make sacrifices and not sacrifice sick innocent children for their own safety.

Ojukwu cared more about his own safety than the safety of millions of biafran children dying everyday of hunger.

You guys have just redefined heroism.

Well you are free to call ojukwu your hero sha

Definition of a hero:
'a person, typically a man, who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.
"a war hero"'

If that was the case then why go to war and risk his life at all? If he truly cared more about himself than his people then why risk your family's wealth- a significant part of which was not returned to him btw. Why risk that comfy position as the leader of the Eastern region? It makes no sense to me.

I really do care about the little children who died during the war and those who were on the verge of dying. That is why I'm saying that his decision to leave was a good one. If he hadn't left, then one of these two things would have panned out, resulting in the same end. If he stayed and was assassinated by the Nigerian Army then there would have been riots and hundreds and maybe thousands more Igbo people, including children, would have died. If he stayed and somehow managed to find a good hiding spot in the then defunct country, the Nigerian Army would have scoured the whole of Biafraland just to find him, slaughtering many people in their wake. His decision may seem to some to be an act of cowardice but I believe that it actually saved a lot of innocent people's lives. It was a noble act.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FG Launches Probe Into Onnoghen’s 13-year Salary Account / 2023: Gov Emmanuel Flies To Ghana For Spiritual Retreat, Leaves Aides Behind / NASS Election Coup: We Must Return To Regionalism Now - Dele Ogundele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.