Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,022 members, 7,814,491 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Why Pray, When You Can Plan - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Pray, When You Can Plan (4709 Views)

Catholics Celebrate "All Saints" Today(1/11/17), So Why Pray Through Mary? Why?? / Why Pray? / Why Pray For Israel? Breaking Israel News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 20, 2016
mrmrmister:

And who the hell are you to see the bitterness in someone's soul?
What the exactly do you feel like?
Some holy spotless being?
Shame on you!

By their fruits ye shall know them. His vitriolic comments on his threads and posts prove me right.

say somethibg else.

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by mrmrmister: 9:23am On Nov 20, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

if the Christians say one is bitter, that person don't even have the right to not be bitter because they say he's bitter.

Honestly,
I don't know what that religion makes them feel like
They always act like they're better than and can condemn everyone else,
Very disgusting
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by mrmrmister: 9:25am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

By their fruits ye shall know them. His vitriolic comments on his threads and posts prove me right.

say somethibg else.

Pls shut the hell up
And ask God to give you wisdom
You greatly lack it.

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 20, 2016
mrmrmister:

Pls shut the hell up
And ask God to give you wisdom
You greatly lack it.

So now an atheist thinks I should ask God for wisdom? How sad on a major scale.

Since you are on the God subject why not break protocol and ask him for spiritual sight.

2 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by mrmrmister: 9:51am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

So now an atheist thinks I should ask God for wisdom? How sad on a major scale.

Since you are on the God subject why not break protocol and ask him for spiritual sight.

I told you to ask him cause you believe in him undecided
And honestly, you could really use some wisdom right now

3 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 20, 2016
mrmrmister:

I told you to ask him cause you believe in him undecided And honestly, you could really use some wisdom right now

what manner of foolishness doth the roots in you have?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by mrmrmister: 9:57am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

what manner of foolishness doth the roots in you have?

You lack wisdom!
Ciao
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by calmG(m): 9:59am On Nov 20, 2016
hahn:
Prayer is useless undecided
Even if WISDOM rapes u, u will sill be foolish... grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 20, 2016
mrmrmister:

You lack wisdom! Ciao

You lack spiritual sight plus wisdom.
Ciao.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Image123(m): 10:03am On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:
Prayer

Prayer (from the Latin precari "to ask earnestly, beg, entreat"wink is an invocation or act that seeks to activate a rapport with an object of worship through deliberate communication.

Prayer can be a form of religious practice , may be either individual or communal and take place in public or in private. It may involve the use of words, song or complete silence. When language is used, prayer may take the form of a hymn , incantation, formal creedal statement, or a spontaneous utterance in the praying person.

There are different forms of prayer such as petitionary prayer, prayers of supplication, thanksgiving, and praise. Prayer may be directed towards a deity , spirit, deceased person, or lofty idea, for the purpose of worshipping, requesting guidance , requesting assistance, confessing transgressions ( sins) or to express one's thoughts and emotions.

Thus, people pray for many reasons such as personal benefit, asking for divine grace , spiritual connection, or for the sake of others.
.................................................................................................................

Back in the days, in school, it was common to pray for examination success in this format:

* We prayed for spirit of understanding,
* retentive memory,
* anoint pen and fingers,
* command the lecturer to come under the influence of the Holy Spirit,
* bind the spirit of forgetfulness,
* bind the spirit behind lost answer booklet,
* bind the spirit of error etc

Now, i look back on those days of religious idiocy, and can't but chuckle, and ask myself - what was that crap!

Prayer is such an arrant gibberish, that portrays those who practice it, as someone beside themselves.

Prayer is variant of soliloquizing, with a significant characteristics of schizophrenia, dementia and delusion.

If not,

* how can someone be asking for retentive memory, when the memory is known to function that way normally?

* How can someone be praying to God of fertility, when the land will naturally be fertile?

* How can someone be praying for a job, when the process of employment is known?

* How can someone be praying for success, when the principles that govern success is known?

* How can someone be praying for good governance, when that responsibility rest on the leaders and followers?

It's a pitiable site to behold, when folks, alone or congregate to waste their time and energy, by indulging in:
*shouting,
*crying,
* moaning,
*hysteria,
*shaking of head, hand etc

All for nothing. Other than for the purpose of religious self fooling.

Prayer is the Master key, not only key. You can pray and plan. It's called multitasking duh.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 10:08am On Nov 20, 2016
Image123:

Prayer is the Master key, not only key. You can pray and plan. It's called multitasking duh.

with all his planning he is still an employee while some us with prayer and planning are employers of labour. He should go and ask Carlos Slim and Bill gates who keep playing tag with being worlds richest men.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:
Prayer

Prayer (from the Latin precari "to ask earnestly, beg, entreat"wink is an invocation or act that seeks to activate a rapport with an object of worship through deliberate communication.

Prayer can be a form of religious practice , may be either individual or communal and take place in public or in private. It may involve the use of words, song or complete silence. When language is used, prayer may take the form of a hymn , incantation, formal creedal statement, or a spontaneous utterance in the praying person.

There are different forms of prayer such as petitionary prayer, prayers of supplication, thanksgiving, and praise. Prayer may be directed towards a deity , spirit, deceased person, or lofty idea, for the purpose of worshipping, requesting guidance , requesting assistance, confessing transgressions ( sins) or to express one's thoughts and emotions.

Thus, people pray for many reasons such as personal benefit, asking for divine grace , spiritual connection, or for the sake of others.
.................................................................................................................

Back in the days, in school, it was common to pray for examination success in this format:

* We prayed for spirit of understanding,
* retentive memory,
* anoint pen and fingers,
* command the lecturer to come under the influence of the Holy Spirit,
* bind the spirit of forgetfulness,
* bind the spirit behind lost answer booklet,
* bind the spirit of error etc

Now, i look back on those days of religious idiocy, and can't but chuckle, and ask myself - what was that crap!

Prayer is such an arrant gibberish, that portrays those who practice it, as someone beside themselves.

Prayer is variant of soliloquizing, with a significant characteristics of schizophrenia, dementia and delusion.

If not,

* how can someone be asking for retentive memory, when the memory is known to function that way normally?

* How can someone be praying to God of fertility, when the land will naturally be fertile?

* How can someone be praying for a job, when the process of employment is known?

* How can someone be praying for success, when the principles that govern success is known?

* How can someone be praying for good governance, when that responsibility rest on the leaders and followers?

It's a pitiable site to behold, when folks, alone or congregate to waste their time and energy, by indulging in:
*shouting,
*crying,
* moaning,
*hysteria,
*shaking of head, hand etc

All for nothing. Other than for the purpose of religious self fooling.

please can you explain to me. what wind the wind. what power controls the wind.
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by johnydon22(m): 10:22am On Nov 20, 2016
If prayer works [though they don't] Someone should remind me again why you need to remind an all knowing being that you need help OR plead with an all loving being before it decides to help you..

Prayer is like a wish, i too also make wishes but wishes are nothing more than wishes - they only come true if you work for them.

You may pray/wish for rain and it rains but yet it also rains whether you pray/wish for it.

The philosopher Xun Zi [China 312 - 230BC] once remarked..

"Pray all you want, heaven can't hear you. It's not going to stop the winter cus you are cold neither is it going to make the earth smaller cus you don't want to walk so far.

You pray for rain and it rains but your prayer has nothing to do with it cus whether you pray or not it still rains anyway.

If you act wisely good things tend to happen, act foolishly and bad things follow - Don't thank or curse heaven cus it has nothing to do with it, its just the natural effects of your own actions.

If you want to better yourself, educate yourself and think carefully about the consequencies of your actions."

Prayer like wishes can induce a sense of hope and comfort that can help people get over difficult situation since they believe they are being looked after, this profound and sincere hopes even though based on a fantasy i think is not all bad or needed to be eroded - sometimes it is necessary and many rely on it - and i won't be so fast or blunt enough to take that away from people.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by sonmvayina(m): 10:23am On Nov 20, 2016
Prayer serves no purpose, God has no mind that prayer can change..whatever is destined to happen willl happen..Only time know that..some people dont know who they are..thats why they still find religion a thril..We are Gods on a human journey. we can say and put our mind to something and it will come to pass..
please it is good we really read positive books that will impact our life , not dwell of jewish and roman fairy tales..."the power of positive thinking" comes to mind..what religion and prayer does is waste your time.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by johnydon22(m): 10:23am On Nov 20, 2016
WinningSun:

Difference in atmospheric pressure causes wind - nothing more than that, so i wonder which powers you are looking for..

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by jonbellion(m): 10:59am On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Shut your bitter lying mouth you 6am lie pundit.

Where has Prayer hindered development of discoveries? How do you even reason?

Has bitterness so eroded your ability to think?

Missionaries came here to africa to remove the shackles of the dark ages from us so we can become creative and some of the best inventors and doctors and workers out there are africans and religious yet they pray and plan.

what kind of reasoning does this guy have bikonu
chaiiii!!!!
Akinton are you gonna take this from him??
Naijadeyhia go to church and stop doing jesus' warrior and Jesus avenger upandan
He's right prayer serves no purpose
It is as flaccid as a 95 year old er*ction and as infertile as a 95 year old spermotazoa
Forget Abraham I know he was around that age or older than that but this is the real world

4 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by freethinker01: 11:44am On Nov 20, 2016
From my own findings, I realised prayer is just as redundant as the p in psychology. It's arrant waste of time...

2 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 11:49am On Nov 20, 2016
Many theists' comments here, especially that of naijadeyhia, concluded that, they plan and pray, one doesn't hinder the other.

But that's not the thrust of my thread.

Am saying that prayer, is unwarranted idiocy and waste of time, by those who engage in it.

This is it....

If 1+0 = 1

And 1 - 0 = 1

Therefore, 1=1,

and 0 = 0 (irrelevant)

Now,

If Plan + prayer = plan

And plan - prayer = plan

Therefore, plan = plan,

And prayer = 0 (irrelevant factor)

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by calliope(f): 11:50am On Nov 20, 2016
What will be will be. Why pray? undecided
Its better to invest that energy and time doing something productive rather than wasting it on prayers.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by sonmvayina(m): 11:50am On Nov 20, 2016
Let me make it clear for the religious folks using what they already know from their buybul....it is explicitly stated in numerous places: "God is not a man"...so i wonder what God uses to hear them..the only way to communicate with God is through an Oracle..

2 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by jonbellion(m): 12:25pm On Nov 20, 2016
prayer entails the idea of attempting to make an allegedly omniscient entity aware of something. It also involves messing with an allegedly divine plan, and divine plan or indirectly arguing that the person praying could somehow improve upon God's intent or design.
Lol comedy
Godbotherers never seem to consider that their constant pleading of God might piss him off.
Help me with my body odour even though I have bad hygiene
Help me find my car keys even though I'm careless
Make me better in bed even though I don't practice
Help me with my test even though i didn't read

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 20, 2016
johnydon22:

Difference in atmospheric pressure causes wind - nothing more than that, so i wonder which powers you are looking for..

you are still saying the same thing. what affect atmospheric pressure. what wind the wind.
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by plaetton: 1:10pm On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:
Prayer is an act of faith.

Mathew 26:41...

WATCH AND PRAY SO THAT YOU DO NOT FALL INTO DIVERSE TEMPTATIONS

James 2:14-26 King James Version (KJV)
What doth it profit, my brethren,
though a man say he hath faith, and have
not works? can faith save him?
If a brother or sister be naked, and
destitute of daily food,
And one of you say unto them, Depart
in peace, be ye warmed and filled;
notwithstanding ye give them not those
things which are needful to the body; what
doth it profit?
Even so faith, if it hath not works, is
dead, being alone.
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith,
and I have works: shew me thy faith
without thy works, and I will shew thee my
faith by my works.
Thou believest that there is one God;
thou doest well: the devils also believe,
and tremble.
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that
faith without works is dead?
Was not Abraham our father justified
by works, when he had offered Isaac his
son upon the altar?
Seest thou how faith wrought with his
works, and by works was faith made
perfect?
And the scripture was fulfilled which
saith, Abraham believed God, and it was
imputed unto him for righteousness: and
he was called the Friend of God.
Ye see then how that by works a man is
justified, and not by faith only.
Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot
justified by works, when she had received
the messengers, and had sent them out
another way?
For as the body without the spirit is
dead, so faith without works is dead also.

We as believers are taught faith with works. I suppose you have the ability to see into your future so can plan to avoid bad situations right? If this were possible then even the rich would not be feeling the heat from the world recession and people would not be sacked without reason and babies would not be born without deformities and nobody would die through accidents ....

afterall planning is all they needed right?

Thread is DOA.
Prayer, like the OP stated, is a deluded mixture of phobia, dimentia, schizophrenia, and,..and what's the other words ?
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by plaetton: 1:12pm On Nov 20, 2016
jonbellion:
prayer entails the idea of attempting to make an allegedly omniscient entity aware of something. It also involves messing with an allegedly divine plan, and divine plan or indirectly arguing that the person praying could somehow improve upon God's intent or design.
Lol comedy
Godbotherers never seem to consider that their constant pleading of God might piss him off.

And,
Let thy will be done,but, but please alter it just for me.

2 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by jonbellion(m): 1:17pm On Nov 20, 2016
plaetton:

And,
Let thy will be done,but, but please alter it just for me.
chaiii
See obvious paradox
How christians don't realise this is beyond me
grin
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 20, 2016
plaetton:

Prayer, like the OP stated, is a deluded mixture of phobia, dimentia, schizophrenia, and,..and what's the other words ?

Prayer actually soothes the mind and stimulates peace psychologically...You can ask your shrink. But thats not where we are headed. Spiritually speaking Prayer is Faith (You) Talking to Faith (God). Its not just words because it has a Principle and a foundation.

The disciples asked Jesus to teach them to Pray and Jesus said WHEN YOU PRAY YOU SAY..... He then taught them the principle. Dont get it twisted alright? When you do as someone who does not believe God exists thats what you need shrinks for who get paid off your ignorance.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 20, 2016
jonbellion:
chaiii
See obvious paradox
How christians don't realise this is beyond me
grin
grin grin
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by plaetton: 1:28pm On Nov 20, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
Amazing Thread!

prayer just gives some kind of psychological "confidence" in face of uncertainty which might be effective on the surface BUT that "confidence" is usually all you needed in the first place

Prayer is like betting to a chronic gambler, you'll never hear them talk about their losses

you'll hear them give testimonies about how prayers helped them overcome a problem but dig a bit deeper and you'll most likely see that a lot of other factors were responsible for that

people who claim prayer works don't know or feign negligence about the laws of probability
Amazing thread indeed.

I like to write from personal experience.
And I can tell you, I really , sincerely feel sorry for many of the Christians, friends and family , that I come in contact with everyday.
I feel sorry for them in the way I would feel sorry for a compulsive gambler, someone who gambles everyday, hoping that his/her luck would shine on the next bet.

I also feel sorry for them in the same way I would feel for opium or crack addicts that can't get through the day without a fix.
There is nothing so ridiculous that I haven't seen concerning prayers.
And this has to be one of the reasons I loathe religion sooo much: how it drains the living spirit right out of people.

I see so many prayer addicts around me. I pity them so much that I wish there was a prayer recovery therapy or rehab that are available to help these people, if at all they can agree that they need help.

I have concluded long ago, and I opened a thread about it, that prayers are more about DOUBTS than they are about the so-called faith.
In fact, by definition, prayer and faith contradict each other, and should not co-exist.

Prayer showcases the inner psychology of faith , and reveals the big surprise that Faith = Doubts + Fear.

There is nothing more contradictory and pathetic about religious faith than Prayers.

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 20, 2016
plaetton:

Amazing thread indeed.

I like to write from personal experience.
And I can tell you, I really , sincerely feel sorry for many of the Christians, friends and family , that I come in contact with everyday.
I feel sorry for them in the way I would feel sorry for a compulsive gambler, someone who gambles everyday, hoping that his/her luck would shine on the next bet.

I also feel sorry for them in the same way I would feel for opium or crack addicts that can't get through the day without a fix.
There is nothing so ridiculous that I haven't seen concerning prayers.
And this has to be one of the reasons I loathe religion sooo much: how it drains the living spirit right out of people.

I see so many prayer addicts around me. I pity them so much that I wish there was a prayer recovery therapy or rehab that are available to help these people, if at all they can agree that they need help.

I have conclusion long ago, and I opened a thread about it, that prayers are more about DOUBTS than they are about the so-called faith.
In fact, by definition, prayer and faith contradict each other, and should not co-exist.

Prayer showcases the inner psychology of faith , and reveals the big surprise that Faith = Doubts + Dear.

There is nothing more contradictory and pathetic about religious faith than Prayers.

There is nothing more painful or pitiful to watch than a man wrapped up in ignorance while claiming to be knowledgeable. When a man who has never seen what a room looks like and gets thrown into that room blindfolded and he then begins to attempt describing the room based on his notion of what he thinks a room ought to look like is pathetic especially when he eventually gets his blindfold removed and discovers he was only placed inside a 40 foot container made to look like a room.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by plaetton: 1:37pm On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Prayer actually soothes the mind and stimulates peace psychologically...You can ask your shrink.

Alcohol also soothes the mind and stimulates peace psychologically.Ask anyone who drinks.

Opioids also soothes the mind and stimulates peace psychologically. You can ask any addict.

What the three have in common is that they are all give temporary, illusionary highs.
They are all also addictive and can leave very deep psychological lows once the initial highs diminish.

https://www.nairaland.com/1452318/faith-prayers-law-diminishing-returns

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by plaetton: 1:44pm On Nov 20, 2016
WinningSun:

If you had paid enough attention during geography lessons in school, you wouldn't be asking that daft question.

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 1:45pm On Nov 20, 2016
jonbellion:
Lol comedy

You forgot this........

God ! God!! God!!!... I need a wife, when single chinene plenty for their churches.

They have waited for the hiding God, that almost all the deluded babes, in their churches, are galloping into menopause!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

OPM Dr Jesus Night With Coconut Friday 26th October. / To My Theists And Atheists Peepz, Y'all Need To See This! / Old Testament Sacrifices With New Testament Typologies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.