Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,001 members, 7,814,413 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Why Pray, When You Can Plan - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Pray, When You Can Plan (4707 Views)

Catholics Celebrate "All Saints" Today(1/11/17), So Why Pray Through Mary? Why?? / Why Pray? / Why Pray For Israel? Breaking Israel News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Nobody: 2:34pm On Nov 20, 2016
plaetton:

Alcohol also soothes the mind and stimulates peace psychologically.Ask anyone who drinks.

Opioids also soothes the mind and stimulates peace psychologically. You can ask any addict.

What the three have in common is that they are all give temporary, illusionary highs.
They are all also addictive and can leave very deep psychological lows once the initial highs diminish.

https://www.nairaland.com/1452318/faith-prayers-law-diminishing-returns

Do you see how silly you sound? Is alcohol not a substance? Are Opiods not subsances? Is prayer a physical "Subtance"? Is Faith Physical or spiritual but with human agency?

Sometimes i just sit back pick my bottle of Pepsi with my biscuits and just watch you guys make an open show of what irrationality truly is.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 2:45pm On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Do you see how silly you sound? Is alcohol not a substance? Are Opiods not subsances? Is prayer a physical "Subtance"? Is Faith Physical or spiritual but with human agency?

Sometimes i just sit back pick my bottle of Pepsi with my biscuits and just watch you guys make an open show of what irrationality truly is.

LMAO....... you're simply ridiculous!

Your self inflicted illiteracy is boundless.

Have you heard the word "indoctrination" before?

It works like physical opium.

I can even risk saying that, it works more accurately than robot being controlled electronically.

2 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by LiberaDeus: 2:45pm On Nov 20, 2016
For the christards talking about the efficacy of prayer.

Lets compare religious Nigeria with Atheist Japan

1. GDP - Nigeria [ $484billion] , Japan[ $ 4.412 trillion]

2. GDP per capita - Nigeria[ $2640] Japan [$34871]

3. Human Development Index - Nigeria [ 0.514 (low)] Japan [ 0.891 ( very high) ]

4. Income inequality (gini ) - Nigeria [ 43.0 ( medium)] Japan [ 37.6 ( medium)]

The funny thing is that Japan's population is just 127 million while we have around 170 million people here.
That means we have at least 40 million extra prayer warriors. Such a huge failure of prayer.

Prayer has no power apart from the placebo effect which makes us feel better when we pray. But am sorry peeps, placebo effect has no effect on national development that's why I used two countries as an example and we can see the result.

The defence for the average Christian falls into 2 categories ;

1. Christians don't pray enough and lack faith - I don't think Nigeria lacks prayer. We have the great mountain of fire within us. We pray on any and every occasion. Concerning faith, out of 80 million Christians you can't tell me we won't have at least 1 million faith filled Christians. Even if its 1 Christian with faith its enough because prayer involves you inviting your mighty god to the party not you literally doing the work yourself. In 56 years of our independence you can't tell me that no faith filled believer has tabled Nigeria's case to his god and received a good response.

2. Its not Gods will - you can say that for a request for a Ferrari or a prayer to be a president of a country. But consider a country like Nigeria, why is it against God's will to prosper us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by damogul: 2:54pm On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:

LMAO....... you're simply ridiculous!

Your self inflicted illiteracy is boundless.

Have you heard the word "indoctrination" before?

It works like physical opium.

I can even risk saying that, it works more accurately than robot being controlled electronically.

smh is undeserved by you as even that is a waste of a perfectly good smh.

Have you ever heard about "experiences"?

If you think actual experiences are indoctrination then honestly your literacy should be brought to question.

You think Christianity is about indoctrination? No wonder you are deluded.

Christianity is a life of experiences. We see and then we do, we read and then we do. we hear and then we do. Faith without works is dead.

I thought that was clearly in naijadeyhias very first response to you but even your alleged "super" literate mind couldnt grasp a simple statement and here you are shooting yourself in the foot with a word like indoctrination.

You shame the Atheist community. I can see the bar has been lowered to accomodate every "Akin" TOM, DICK and IlLITERATE.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:04pm On Nov 20, 2016
damogul:

If you think actual experiences are indoctrination then honestly your literacy should be brought to question.

Christianity is a life of experiences. We see and then we do, we read and then we do. we hear and then we do. Faith without works is dead.

I thought i that was clearly in naijadeyhias very first response to you but even your alleged "super" literate mind couldnt grasp a simple statement and here you are shooting yourself in the foot with a word like indoctrination.

You shame the Atheist community. I can see the bar has been lowered to accomodate every "Akin" TOM, DICK and IlLITERATE.

Choi !! cry cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by johnydon22(m): 3:04pm On Nov 20, 2016
WinningSun:

you are still saying the same thing. what affect atmospheric pressure. what wind the wind.

#Jeeez another dumb ass.. I give up..
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:06pm On Nov 20, 2016
LiberaDeus:
For the christards talking about the efficacy of prayer.

Lets compare religious Nigeria with Atheist Japan

1. GDP - Nigeria [ $484billion] , Japan[ $ 4.412 trillion]

2. GDP per capita - Nigeria[ $2640] Japan [$34871]

3. Human Development Index - Nigeria [ 0.514 (low)] Japan [ 0.891 ( very high) ]

4. Income inequality (gini ) - Nigeria [ 43.0 ( medium)] Japan [ 37.6 ( medium)]

The funny thing is that Japan's population is just 127 million while we have around 170 million people here.
That means we have at least 40 million extra prayer warriors. Such a huge failure of prayer.

Prayer has no power apart from the placebo effect which makes us feel better when we pray. But am sorry peeps, placebo effect has no effect on national development that's why I used two countries as an example and we can see the result.

The defence for the average Christian falls into 2 categories ;

1. Christians don't pray enough and lack faith - I don't think Nigeria lacks prayer. We have the great mountain of fire within us. We pray on any and every occasion. Concerning faith, out of 80 million Christians you can't tell me we won't have at least 1 million faith filled Christians. Even if its 1 Christian with faith its enough because prayer involves you inviting your mighty god to the party not you literally doing the work yourself. In 56 years of our independence you can't tell me that no faith filled believer has tabled Nigeria's case to his god and received a good response.

2. Its not Gods will - you can say that for a request for a Ferrari or a prayer to be a president of a country. But consider a country like Nigeria, why is it against God's will to prosper us.

The Richest countries in the world are Christian-dominated countries so what is this one saying ? Do you know that cherry-picking is illogical ?

www.cnbc.com/2015/01/14/the-religion-of-millionaires-.html
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by LiberaDeus: 3:39pm On Nov 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

The Richest countries is the world are Christian-dominated countries so what is this one saying ? Do you know that cherry-picking is illogical ?

The richest countries in the world also have the highest number of unbelievers in any god.

In terms of stats you are talking about cultural stats.
Please Google religious decline in the western world and see the rise of unbelief.

But let's look at this from a logical angle

Christian Czech republic with a 60 percent Christian population and over 30 percent non believing population is actually getting its prayer answered more than Christian Kenya with an 82.6 percent Christian population.
France even gets more answered prayers than super religious Nigeria.

Are you not seeing a contradiction there ?

With the rise of so many anti religious values in the western world and the embrace of religious beliefs in Africa shouldn't the fortunes be the other way around.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by plaetton: 3:58pm On Nov 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Lol.

Actually the fact that faith is not a substance, but affects people in similar and more profound negative ways is the reason why it is much more pernicious than alcohol, opioids and other substances.
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by damogul: 4:10pm On Nov 20, 2016
plaetton:

Lol.

Actually the fact that faith is not a substance, but affects people in similar and more profound negative ways is the reason why it is much more pernicious than alcohol, opioids and other substances.

So now you have taken back your words when you compared prayer with actual substances. When you want to goof up do so with some pride. I have highlighted your ignorance free of charge in your comment. Now read up and take correction.

According to a 2013 Pew Research Poll, over half of Americans pray every day. A 2012 poll found that over 75 percent of Americans believe that prayer is an important part of daily life. Other polls indicate that even some atheists and religiously unaffiliated individuals admit that they sometimes pray.

Our species has probably been praying for as long as we have been able to contemplate our existence. And though we may never be able to establish evidence that a deity or spiritual force actually hears our prayers, in recent years, scientists have begun to consider the potential tangible (i.e., measurable) effects of prayer. And this research suggests that prayer may be very beneficial.

So here are five scientifically-supported benefits of prayer:

1. Prayer improves self-control

2. Prayer makes you nicer

4. Prayer increases trust

5. Prayer offsets the negative health effects of stress

6. Makes you stress free:

7. Reduces your chances of suffering from depression and anxiety

8. Helps you deal with emotional onslaught

9. Makes you happier

10. Speeds up post-surgical recovery

11. Keeps diseases at bay

12. Is good for your heart

13. Helps you live longer

Read the rest here

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/more-mortal/201406/5-scientifically-supported-benefits-prayer

and here

http://www.thehealthsite.com/diseases-conditions/10-ways-praying-actually-benefits-your-health-p114/

and here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-schiffman/why-people-who-pray-are-heathier_b_1197313.html

and here

http://www.healthfitnessrevolution.com/top-10-health-benefits-praying/

As you can see those are not Christian sites so no way you can say i am cherry picking.

Number 9 there is the reason someone like the OP is very bitter with everything and everyone around him. His diagnosis is simply that he does not engage in prayer.

You plaetton should try it some time especially since your much beloved science endorses it. Or is Science also wrong?

cc Grizzlybear, hopefullandlord

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:14pm On Nov 20, 2016
LiberaDeus:

The richest countries in the world also have the highest number of unbelievers in any god.

In terms of stats you are talking about cultural stats.
Please Google religious decline in the western world and see the rise of unbelief.

But let's look at this from a logical angle

Christian Czech republic with a 60 percent Christian population and over 30 percent non believing population is actually getting its prayer answered more than Christian Kenya with an 82.6 percent Christian population.
France even gets more answered prayers than super religious Nigeria.

Are you not seeing a contradiction there ?

With the rise of so many anti religious values in the western world and the embrace of religious beliefs in Africa shouldn't the fortunes be the other way around.

Mister the article clearly stated that Christian-dominant countries are the richest in the world . This means that in those countries , the Christians are superior in number than any other religious affiliation . Please learn to comprehend and stop obfuscating facts.

And it also mentioned that Christianity has the most millionaires in the world . Do you know that more than half of the over 1800 billionaires are Christians ?

Do you know that Christians - 32 percent of the world's population - own over 55 percent of the global wealth ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by Bandeco(m): 4:16pm On Nov 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

[b]The Richest countries is the world are Christian-dominated countries [/b]so what is this one saying ? Do you know that cherry-picking is illogical ?

You always bank on this stale delusion but always fail to tell us how they attain prosperity by praying or just by being "Christian dominated". Tell us if prayers were on the menu to attain economic development.

No " Richest" country is as religious/christianised as Nigeria per head.

One would expect Nigeria to also be among the richest club.

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:18pm On Nov 20, 2016
Bandeco:

You always bank on this stale delusion but always fail to tell us how they attain prosperity by praying or just by being "Christian dominated". Tell us if prayers were on the menu to attain economic development.

No " Richest" country is as religious/christianised as Nigeria per head.

One would expect Nigeria to also be among the richest club.

You atheists are always unable to comprehend the point . Read his post and understand my response to him.

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by LiberaDeus: 4:24pm On Nov 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Mister the article clearly stated that Christian-dominant countries are the richest in the world . This means that in those countries , the Christians are superior in number than any other religious affiliation . Please learn to comprehend and stop obfuscating facts.

And it also mentioned that Christianity has the most millionaires in the world . Do you know that more than half of the over 1800 billionaires are Christians ?

Do you know that Christians - 32 percent of the world's population - own over 55 percent of the global wealth ?

Calm down, I didn't start with an angry tone so let's not descend down that tunnel.

Ask yourself whether those countries are successful because of Christian prayer, have you not heard of the enlightenment? How can you tie it all to the power of prayer when you can also observe countries that are very religious in your so called right religion and still can't replicate the same effects.

I m not disputing the facts you mentioned above.

I didn't obfuscate the facts but I tried to relate them with the efficacy of prayer.

Please how do the facts above show that prayer works.
You mentioned the richest people, have you also considered poverty and other issues plaguing other Christian counties. How has prayer helped that.

And of prayer is so effective then it should be effective everywhere. You glossed over Japan and brought more countries to the argument. Why is Japan appearing to attain all the things Nigeria with its prayer can't attain. You can't ignore that fact.
The law of gravity doesn't work only in some areas but universally. If a law or theory is true then it should be observed everywhere.
Citing Nigeria, how has the power of prayer worked in our 55 year existence? And ask yourself why Japan can progress without any national recourse to prayer.

2 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:28pm On Nov 20, 2016
LiberaDeus:

Calm down, I didn't start with an angry tone so let's not descend down that tunnel.

Ask yourself whether those countries are successful because of Christian prayer, have you not heard of the enlightenment? How can you tie it all to the power of prayer when you can also observe countries that are very religious in your so called right religion and still can't replicate the same effects.

I m not disputing the facts you mentioned above.

I didn't obfuscate the facts but I tried to relate them with the efficacy of prayer.

Please how do the facts above show that prayer works.
You mentioned the richest people, have you also considered poverty and other issues plaguing other Christian counties. How has prayer helped that.

And of prayer is so effective then it should be effective everywhere. You glossed over Japan and brought more countries to the argument. Why is Japan appearing to attain all the things Nigeria with its prayer can't attain. You can't ignore that fact.
The law of gravity doesn't work only in some areas but universally. If a law or theory is true then it should be observed everywhere.
Citing Nigeria, how has the power of prayer worked in our 55 year existence? And ask yourself why Japan can progress without any national recourse to prayer.

Have you heard of National Prayer Day in the US and other European countries that believe in God ? In Denmark , it is called the Great Prayer Day . The UK Parliament recite prayers before they begin any activity
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by plaetton: 4:37pm On Nov 20, 2016
damogul:

So now you have taken back your words when you compared prayer with actual substances. When you want to goof up do so with some pride. I have highlighted your ignorance free of charge in your comment. Now read up and take correction.

According to a 2013 Pew Research Poll, over half of Americans pray every day. A 2012 poll found that over 75 percent of Americans believe that prayer is an important part of daily life. Other polls indicate that even some atheists and religiously unaffiliated individuals admit that they sometimes pray.

Our species has probably been praying for as long as we have been able to contemplate our existence. And though we may never be able to establish evidence that a deity or spiritual force actually hears our prayers, in recent years, scientists have begun to consider the potential tangible (i.e., measurable) effects of prayer. And this research suggests that prayer may be very beneficial.

So here are five scientifically-supported benefits of prayer:

1. Prayer improves self-control

2. Prayer makes you nicer

4. Prayer increases trust

5. Prayer offsets the negative health effects of stress

6. Makes you stress free:

7. Reduces your chances of suffering from depression and anxiety

8. Helps you deal with emotional onslaught

9. Makes you happier

10. Speeds up post-surgical recovery

11. Keeps diseases at bay

12. Is good for your heart

13. Helps you live longer

Read the rest here

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/more-mortal/201406/5-scientifically-supported-benefits-prayer

and here

http://www.thehealthsite.com/diseases-conditions/10-ways-praying-actually-benefits-your-health-p114/

As you can see those are not Christian sites so no way you can say i am cherry picking.

Number 9 there is the reason someone like the OP is very bitter with everything ad everyone around him. His diagnosis is simply that he does not engage in prayer.

You plaetton should try it some time especially since your much beloved science endorses it. Or is Science also wrong?

cc Grizzlybear, hopefullandlord

Placebos, all placebos, whether substance or mental , have the same effects.

I used to talk to myself a lot, often to help me deal with difficult issues.
Also, At times when I am in trouble or under threat, I still feel that my dead ancestors protect and guide me.

So, it's quite natural to create imaginary beings outside of reality to help us COPE.

And COPE is the operative word here. It connotes powerlessness.

But knowledge is BETTER.

With the right knowledge, one doesn't have to conjure imaginary beings to be able to COPE.

With knowledge, there is little that a rational person cannot confront.

Therefore, I agree that prayer is indeed a coping mechanism. But so are also alcohol, opioids, obsessive compulsive behaviors, racism and bigotry, etc etc.

It's easy for people who pray to tell themselves that they are happier.
I beg to disagree.
Prayer itself is a petition, an Oliver Twist syndrome( asking for more than you're given). It is a sign of dissatisfaction for a universe that doesn't give a rat's bottom about personal needs.
Prayer is a way of telling god that the universe is not good enough and should be made better, if only for me.

So, one who repeats this petition to a deaf universe several times everyday is unsatisfied with the status quo , and would inevitably grow despondent.

From personal experience, I have never, and I mean it, seen a happy, self-fulfilled prayer addict.

On the other hand, the frequency , pitch and volume of prayers are often pointers to deeper psychological problems and in most cases benign mental illnesses.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by LiberaDeus: 4:48pm On Nov 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Have you heard of National Prayer Day in the US and other European countries that believe in God ? In Denmark , it is called the Great Prayer Day . The UK Parliament recite prayers before they begin any activity

Ok lets look at the your facts

USA can be termed to be the most successful country in the 20th century. So let's examine some points or factors that led to that

A. Prayer
B. Sound national planning
C. Luck [ Britain and France losing their colonies thereby creating a void for U.S. to fill ]
D. Market oriented economy
E. Freedom of speech and emphasis on human rights
F. Immigration and absorption of ideas from other nations

Now lets look at a country like Kenya or Nigeria that observes national prayers on more than one occasion.
Out of the above mentioned factors the only thing we have in common is Prayer.

But we don't have the same stats or success level with the USA, what does that show you?

It implies that prayer is the weakest link in that list and is responsible for nothing. I can list at least seven countries that have national prayer days in the world but they still suffer from so much. Brazil was such a country, very religious for a long while and even older than the USA but until they started putting the right factors in place they never got close to national progress.

You can apply this same rational method to UK, Denmark and every European country and you will get the same results. Its worse for the European countries because they are at least 900 years old and for most of their lifespan they didn't enjoy what you will term as success. Why did the success start coming when they applied the principles I mentioned for USA.

That's on a national level.

On a personal level, can you prove that your night vigils and 7 hour prayers make you slightly better or more successful than your unbelieving neighbor?
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by damogul: 4:53pm On Nov 20, 2016
plaetton:

Placebos, all placebos, whether substance or mental , have the same effects.

I used to talk to myself a lot, often to help me deal with difficult issues.
Also, At times when I am in trouble or under threat, I still feel that my dead ancestors protect and guide me.

So, it's quite natural to create imaginary beings outside of reality to help us COPE.

And COPE is the operative word here. It connotes powerlessness.

But knowledge is BETTER.

With the right knowledge, one doesn't have to conjure imaginary beings to be able to COPE.

With knowledge, there is little that a rational person cannot confront.

Therefore, I agree that prayer is indeed a coping mechanism. But so are also alcohol, opioids, obsessive compulsive behaviors, racism and bigotry, etc etc.

It's easy for people who pray to tell themselves that they are happier.
I beg to disagree.
Prayer itself is a petition, an Oliver Twist syndrome( asking for more than you're given). It is a sign of dissatisfaction for a universe that doesn't give a rat's bottom about personal needs.
Prayer is a way of telling god that the universe is not good enough and should be made better, if only for me.

So, one who repeats this petition to a deaf universe several times everyday is unsatisfied with the status quo , and would inevitably grow despondent.

From personal experience, I have never, and I mean it, seen a happy, self-fulfilled prayer addict.

On the other hand, the frequency , pitch and volume of prayers are often pointers to deeper psychological problems and in most cases benign mental illnesses.

You guys will not read for sake of knowledge but will only do so for sake of attacking Christianity hence miss out on proper knowledge.

I gave you expo by posting a portion from one of the websites but the obvious on what i posted was missed by you. Let me post the particular spot for you again,

Yet you typed all that crap up there just so you can save face. I asked you a simple question. If science endorses prayer is science also wrong?

I have said repeatedly that science supports religion but you guys keep on trying to shoot it down thereby making yourselves look and sound ridiculous. I suggest you read some more and this time pay attention to the details especially since you missed the first expo i gave you.

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Headline/prayer-health-faith-medicine/2015/03/31/id/635623/

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2014/09/18/new-study-examines-the-effects-of-prayer-on-mental-health/

http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/effects-of-prayer-can-lead-to-healing/

The level of ignorance you guys exhibit here on NL is appalling and all in a bid to shoot down religious practices you fabricate all sorts even when your very beloved science says you are wrong you would never admit to your error.

Well read up the links provided and be honorable enough to accept you are wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by plaetton: 5:04pm On Nov 20, 2016
damogul:

You guys will not read for sake of knowledge but will only do so for sake of attacking Christianity hence miss out on proper knowledge.

I gave you expo by posting a portion from one of the websites but the obvious on what i posted was missed by you. Let me post the particular spot for you again,

[/b]

Yet you typed all that crap up there just so you can save face. I asked you a simple question. If science endorses prayer is science also wrong?

I have said repeatedly that science supports religion but you guys keep on trying to shoot it down thereby making yourselves look and sound ridiculous. I suggest you read some more and this time pay attention to the details especially since you missed the first expo i gave you.

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Headline/prayer-health-faith-medicine/2015/03/31/id/635623/

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2014/09/18/new-study-examines-the-effects-of-prayer-on-mental-health/

The level of ignorance you guys exhibit here on NL is appalling and all in a bid to shoot down religious practices you fabricate all sorts even when your very beloved science says you are wrong you would never admit to your error.

Well read up the links provided and be honorable enough to accept you are wrong.

You are the one who is reading without comprehending.

We don't need scientists to tell us the tangible benefits of prayer. The people who pray have already told us so, but in the same manner that smokers claim tangible benefits or that sex and gambling addicts claim tangible benefits.
Therefore, there is nothing new there.

And I also reminded you, which you obviously missed, that placebos, whether substances or mental constructs , have the same temporary illusionary effects on subjects.

And I also repeat to you that from personal experience, the people that I see pray the most or engage in religious rituals the most, always seem the most detached, unhappy, unfulfilled. And that religious zeal, whose main symptom is frequent prayers, are very often a mask for deeper psychological issues.
I guess you missed that part too ?

1 Like

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by damogul: 5:16pm On Nov 20, 2016
plaetton:

You are the one who is reading without comprehending.

We don't need scientists to tell us the tangible benefits of prayer. The people who pray have already told us so, but in the same manner that smokers claim tangible benefits or that sex and gambling addicts claim tangible benefits.
Therefore, there is nothing new there.

And I also reminded you, which you obviously missed, that placebos, whether substances or mental constructs , have the same temporary illusionary effects on subjects.

And I also repeat to you that from personal experience, the people that I see pray the most or engage in religious rituals the most, always seem the most detached, unhappy, unfulfilled. And that religious zeal, whose main symptom is frequent prayers, are very often a mask for deeper psychological issues.
I guess you missed that part too ?

Are you deliberately confusing yourself or you are naturally this slow? At the bolded....Even you have admitted to being in error when comparing prayer with tangible things like Opiods and other stuff yet you bring it up again here just so you can keep a failing argument going with proud ignorance?

I am done with you. Such level of dishonest ignorance! Gosh.

As a parting shot, you would do yourself good by reading the links i provided and stop driving this your empty tank argument.

Enjoy your day
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 5:17pm On Nov 20, 2016
damogul:

I thought that was clearly in naijadeyhias very first response to you but even your alleged "super" literate mind couldnt grasp a simple statement and here you are shooting yourself in the foot with a word like indoctrination.

Your moniker betrays you.

Damogul - "demonstration of goofing"

You certainly stray here, otherwise, you would have been familiar with how, the sum total of your religious experience, is a filthy delusion.
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by damogul: 5:20pm On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:

You're moniker betrays you.

You certainly stray here, otherwise, you would have been familiar with how, the sum total of your religious experience, is a filthy delusion.

damogul aka The mogul and i am sure you know what mogul means or you need a dictionary?
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by jonbellion(m): 5:25pm On Nov 20, 2016
Akinton you should really take a chill pill yo
I'm on your side but you can make your points at least less.....errrrr
Vile grin
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by damogul: 5:27pm On Nov 20, 2016
jonbellion:
Vile grin

He obviously needs to start practicing prayer so he can enjoy Benefit number 8 and 9 as science has discovered Prayer offers which is on my prayer benefits list.
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by damogul: 5:31pm On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:

Your moniker betrays you.

Your thread is is all about the futility of prayer so stick to your own thread and stop shifting the goalpost. I have shown you clearly here how your thread is even fighting you and calling you a dishonest person.
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 5:34pm On Nov 20, 2016
damogul:

[/b]

I understand your limitations.

You obviously don't know how to read scientific works. So you can't understand its conclusions.

Subjected to multi empirical variables, prayer has no significant benefit.

Prayer has nothing in it to PRACTICALLY, alter outcome of any practical endeavors.

2 Likes

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by damogul: 5:39pm On Nov 20, 2016
akintom:

I understand your limitations.

You obviously don't know how to read scientific works. So you can't understand its conclusions.

Subjected to multi empirical variables, prayer has no significant benefit.

Prayer has nothing in it to PRACTICALLY, alter outcome of any practical endeavors.

When you are caught with your hand in the cookie jar you start using tirades and attempts at calling another uneducated to give you an illusion of intelligence. Below is the expo i gave Plaetton which he missed. Let me post it again here for you and i hope for the sake of your "intelligence" you do not miss it as well.

Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by plaetton: 5:39pm On Nov 20, 2016
damogul:

Are you deliberately confusing yourself or you are naturally this slow? At the bolded....Even you have admitted to being in error when comparing prayer with tangible things like Opiods and other stuff yet you bring it up again here just so you can keep a failing argument going with proud ignorance?

I am done with you. Such level of dishonest ignorance! Gosh.

As a parting shot, you would do yourself good by reading the links i provided and stop driving this your empty tank argument.

Enjoy your day

Gosh! I really don't know how you guys studied the English language.
First of all, I never admitted error in comparing prayer with opioids.
The comparisons are accurate. Same illusionary highs, same deep lows, same addictive tendencies.

It is you who never fully comprehended my point.
You read, you pick words, but the points always seem to elude you.

The links, the report you are citing is not in anyway controversial.
The report, let me remind you did not mention anything specifically unique about prayers, and it's mind tonic on the human psyche.
And I am reminding again, for the third time, that prayer is a placebo, and that all placebos have the same tonic effects.
The negative consequences of addiction, whether to placebos, opioids or prayers is what draws our attention, not the mild, fading tonics.
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 5:40pm On Nov 20, 2016
jonbellion:
Vile grin

I guess you're referring to this..........

"You forgot this........

God ! God!! God!!!... I need a wife, when single chinene plenty for their churches.

They have waited for the hiding God, that almost all the deluded babes, in their churches, are galloping into menopause!"

Noooooo....... I only added it to the ones you posted. I wasn't on you.

But on the folks, who take pleasure in frittering away the resource as scarce as time.
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by damogul: 5:41pm On Nov 20, 2016
plaetton:

Gosh! I really don't know how you guys studied the English language.
First of all, I never admitted error in comparing prayer with opioids.
The comparisons are accurate. Same illusionary highs, same deep lows, same addictive tendencies.

It is you who never fully comprehended my point.
You read, you pick words, but the points always seem to elude you.

The links, the report you are citing is not in anyway controversial.
The report, let me remind you did not mention anything specifically unique about prayers, and it's mind tonic on the human psyche.

My Convo with you is done bro so you would do well to stop quoting me now. Thank you very much.
And I am reminding again, for the third time, that prayer is a placebo, and that all placebos have the same tonic effects.
The negative consequences of addiction, whether to placebos, opioids or prayers is what draws our attention, not the mild, fading tonics.

My Convo with you is done bro so you would do well to stop quoting me now. Thank you
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by akintom(m): 5:44pm On Nov 20, 2016
damogul:

When you are caught with your hand in the cookie jar you start using tirades and attempts at calling another uneducated to give you an illusion of intelligence. Below is the expo i gave Plaetton which he missed. Let me post it again here for you and i hope for the sake of your "intelligence" you do not miss it as well.

Your point therefore is.......?
Re: Why Pray, When You Can Plan by plaetton: 5:45pm On Nov 20, 2016
damogul:

My Convo with you is done bro so you would do well to stop quoting me now. Thank you
Not so fast Buddy.
It doesn't work like that here. undecided

You err, you get flogged.
You don't decide who flogs you and who shouldn't.
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Can Prove That Christianity Is Not Paganism? / Nigerian atheists should take several seats / Atheists "Have Higher Iqs" (2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.