Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,025 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. (8924 Views)

Buhari And I Argue Over Issues, Says Adesina / Photo: Some Youths In Nigeria Argue That Nigeria Has 35 States. Leaders Of 2mor / Why We Hate Nigeria So Much - By The Diasporians A.ka. Nigerians Abroad! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Nobody: 12:16pm On Nov 11, 2009
Labelle, you seem to be cursed with a deep inferiority complex.

I've got a lot of pity for you. May I recommend a booster course in racial self-esteem and African history?

I hope you realise blacks have not always been at the bottom, or always had the problems you take to be their ''birth-mark''.

You don't get to hear about this in the mainstream media and educational system, but it is a historically verifiable fact that Black Africans invented writing, invented laws, invented the calendar, invented religion, architecture, medicine, and the sciences. International trade was first developed between African and Asia. The world's oldest mines are located in southern Africa, and dated to an incredible 200,000 years old.

So the black race is a pioneering race, despite the events of the last 500 years which presently keep her in dire straits. But this period of black decline is by no means permanent. A cursory reading of history shows that things ALWAYS change.

In remote history, the whites were living in caves in the Caucasian Mountains of northern Europe, (from which comes the term 'Caucasian')  when Africa LED the world in innovations which later came to shape our modern world. Yet, look at the whites today.

The world they have made could end up in smoke tomorrow, or decline sharply, and it would overturn everything you saw as invincible or sacrosanct.

If history is anything to go by, these events are a question of when, not if.

So do not be deceived by an illusion of permanence to any of this.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Kobojunkie: 12:17pm On Nov 11, 2009
TexMex:

@Radiant.  No one's offended.

I did not start out to derail the thread. The initiator of this thread believed diasporians don't have the current facts about situation in NIGERIA, hence we argue blindly which is funny to him. To him and his supporters, things have improved. [size=14pt]Everyone can now generate his/her own megawatts of electricity. '[/size]Palava quench'. In response, I thought it best to appeal to the general body of NIGERIANS (as I 've begun to notice a growing apathy against diasporians in NL) to view diaporians as partners. It's our love for NIGERIA that compels us to be agitated for her.

At the same time, I 'm not unmindful that in the early days, the whites saw AFRICA as a jungle whose people live on trees. I needed to correct any misconceptions home-based folks have about our perception of them. We feel their pains and sympathize with them. We know how things should have been, but are not. So why don't we use this opportunity to engage each other so that this type of threads will stop forthwith?

Correction! people have been generating their own PRIVATE electricity since way back in 1987, when the eletricity problem started. Generators and many of the alternatives we know of today have been in use for over 20 years.  The idea is not NEW to Nigerians.

We need to stop selling it as if it is and look back to the results of over 20 years of our using these techologies to power our nation instead. Has the problem for which these alternatives were applied been solved? If yes, then we continue being a generator-nation, if no, then it is probably STUPID to continue pushing the same solution after 20 solid years of research .
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by IykeD1(m): 12:17pm On Nov 11, 2009
I love nothing more than a Diaspora-bashing topic as it also affords me opportunity to fling some
missiles backsmiley

I have said it each chance I get and will say it again:  This country called Nigeria is a shit hole!!!!
I might change my mind a bit when they finally fix the Lagos-Benin road which they have been trying
to do for over 12 years as far as I can remember.  If anyone in their right senses will travel down the
Lagos-Benin road and then tell me that all is well with that country, then I need to commit myself.

Fashola is building roads and beautifying Lagos, so what? Wasn't that what he was elected to do?
How hard is it to build roads in the year 2009? But I suppose that's such a major feat in Nigeria!

Someone was very keen to tell us how he was providing consulting services in the areas of database
operations, virtualization, etc., but forget to mention that all of that tech stuff are really need to
have steady power - I wonder how your clients do it, I suppose with generators.

Lastly, I am in the oil and gas industry too and believe me almost no one is excited when Nigeria is
mentioned.  Those that goes assume the risk because they are more than adequately compensated,
as companies in some cases may pay close to twice their salaries to provide incentives for them to go.
So they do the math and hope to hang around 2 to 3 years while doubling their incomes.

Unless the Nigerian embassies are not doing a good job, you will think those places will be overflowing
with foreigners applying for visas to go enjoy the goodies in Nigeria if things are so great there.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by TexMex: 12:22pm On Nov 11, 2009
@LaBelle

I beg to dissociate myself from that sickly cursed race you talked about. I 'm black and proud. I 'm not a member of any sickly cursed race. I 'm on NL to share ideas and information.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Kobojunkie: 12:23pm On Nov 11, 2009
Iyke-D:

Lastly, I am in the oil and gas industry too and believe me almost no one is excited when Nigeria is
mentioned.  [size=13pt]Those that goes assume the risk because they are more than adequately compensated,
as companies in some cases may pay close to twice their salaries to provide incentives for them to go.
So they do the math and hope to hang around 2 to 3 years while doubling their incomes.[/size]
Unless the Nigerian embassies are not doing a good job, you will think those places will be overflowing
with foreigners applying for visas to go enjoy the goodies in Nigeria if things are so great there.

I noticed that over years of researching jobs
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by saworoide: 12:28pm On Nov 11, 2009
There are so many things wrong in Nigeria but definitely not as bad as being projected. My personal experience with friends in disapora is that they have this feel-good factor whenever they read bad news about Nigeria. A friend of mine particularly looks out for bad news headlines about Nigeria and would be the first to call me to discuss the issue.

The fact is that a lot of us living in Nigeria chose to do so for various reasons (I never played US visa lottery and I've never applied for the UK's HSMP even as I'm qualified to do so) while those abroad are also there for various reasons. It therefore saddens one that fellow Nigerians will take delight in rubishing Nigeria and calling the country and the people living there all sort of indecent names. There is a big difference between criticism and ridicule .

My take is that unless you have changed your nationality, whether you live in Nigeria or abroad, we are all in this together and we must do our best to lift up the country.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Kobojunkie: 12:35pm On Nov 11, 2009
saworoide:

[size=14pt]There are so many things wrong in Nigeria but definitely not as bad as being projected. [/size] My personal experience with friends in disapora is that they have this feel-good factor whenever they read bad news about Nigeria. A friend of mine particularly looks out for bad news headlines about Nigeria and would be the first to call me to discuss the issue.

Your first statement is a LIE! How you do expect me to take you seriously after that?
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by saworoide: 12:48pm On Nov 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Your first statement is a LIE! How you do expect me to take you seriously after that?

There you go again, you don't have to be insultive to drive home your point. How do you feel if I tell you that you are a liar without any evidence or proof. I have my reasons for my assertion and If you must know, I live in Nigeria and I have not experienced power failure for 1 hour in the last 2 years. You may say it is lie again because you truly do not know everything about Nigeria. Now, this situation is not typical of everywhere in Nigeria but at least it is still a part of Nigeria. In my company, a lot of foreigners will do anything not to leave the country that fellow Nigerians call hell. And before you say they are overpaid, we have a lot of them that are retired and yet choose to remain in the country doing their own private business. If you haven't lost touch so much with the country, you will know that it is definitely not as bad being projected.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Kobojunkie: 1:13pm On Nov 11, 2009
saworoide:

There you go again, you don't have to be insultive to drive home your point. How do you feel if I tell you that you are a liar without any evidence or proof. I have my reasons for my assertion and If you must know, I live in Nigeria and I have not experienced power failure for 1 hour in the last 2 years. You may say it is lie again because you truly do not know everything about Nigeria.

I don’t have to know EVERYTHING about Nigeria to know that the statement you posted there was a Lie. I don’t live 100% in Nigeria but I shuttle in and out myself and have had to live on generator and inverter 90% of the time I spend down there, which is no different from what I have had to do down there for the past 20 years. Because you claim you can boast of 24/7 electricity in your area of the country does not mean everyone else enjoys same. Not even half of the population can do that.

Now when someone comes online to speak of the GENERAL SITUATION in the COUNTRY and makes such a statement as the one you made, I know that it is a LIE.

saworoide:

Now, this situation is not typical of everywhere in Nigeria but at least it is still a part of Nigeria. In my company, a lot of foreigners will do anything not to leave the country that fellow Nigerians call hell. And before you say they are overpaid, we have a lot of them that are retired and yet choose to remain in the country doing their own private business. If you haven't lost touch so much with the country, you will know that it is definitely not as bad being projected.

What has DOING YOUR OWN PRIVATE BUSINESS to do with the Nigerian problem though? I am sorry; I have a problem with this SELF mindset that seems to be the new trend out with some. Foreigners have been known to settle even in jungles and deserts where most of the natives live with no clothes on. Why is it a big deal that foreigners would want to settle and live in Nigeria? Is that what we ought to use in gauging the situation in Nigeria?

If in the last 20 years, more Nigerians have fallen below the poverty line, I think it does not take a genius to figure out that things are not really getting better for Nigerians as a whole.  I am certain that people can still start businesses of their own to feed their own families. But that does not seem to have changed the fate of over 100 million Nigerians who are still without, and living in the same country.

Nigeria currently spends about 796 BILLION Naira yearly on generators and generator accessories. Imagine if that amount was spent on RENEWABLE energy sources instead? Do you realize how much the country would, not only save in Energy but also in money and lives?

I can go on and on but I am sorry, the evidence is right in your face that the statement is not a correct one. You may choose to take it PERSONALLY but I am sorry, when it comes to discussing all things Nigeria, I think many choose to feign ignorance because it somehow removes from them the responsibility to do something about the situation.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Redman44(m): 1:58pm On Nov 11, 2009
It will take a lot of hardwork, vision and strategic planning to make Nigerian a country where many Nigerian diasporeans would like to return to. While Nigeria is still battling to generate 6000 Megawatts of power, Britain is already working on Nuclear Energy and planning towards more ingenious forms of electrical power towards the year 2050. Yet, there is no home in the UK without power. Almost all homes in the UK has running water. Public services have been privatized and if you don't pay, your power and other services including Gas will be cut off. The Nigerian Government needs to cross the Rubicon by privatizing Public services and bring in foreign investors in this area. It has been done with mobile telephony, let Energy and Water services go the same way. Initially, the charges may be high but the prices will fall as time goes on smiley smiley

There are a lot of opportunities in Nigeria currently, but Diasporeans are finding it difficult to tap into these opportunities because of obsolete infrastructure and an unstable business environment. Diasporeans should not be condemned for demanding for good and visionary leaders in Nigeria. With the hatred being directed at Diasporeans on Nairaland these days, I'm getting scared that people at home will oppose and victimize Nigerians abroad when they come back home. Nothing beats the experience of living in Europe, Australia and New Zealand and North America. What the Nigerian Government should be doing is to make Nigeria receptive and conducive for Diasporeans who relocate back home. Some of the Diasporeans will be coming back with knowledge, better technologies and hard cash that will be invested in Nigeria. There are many good guys of Nigerian origin in the Police force in Britain and America. These guys can be brought to reposition the Nigerian Police Force. The problem with Nigeria is that people are just too envious of the progress of their fellow citizens. We need to start pulling resources together and work towards a common destiny. The poverty in Nigeria is too much at the moment. All sectors of the economy are in a bad shape and there seems to be no Minister or politician who is willing to take the bull by the horns and do things the right way It is very sad.

Setting Nigeria on the path to development is a serious task that needs a focused government and a dedicated and tax paying citizenry. The problems bedevilling Nigeria are just too much and it will take years to set some things right. The postal services need to be reinvented and many post offices renovated. Besides, the Nigerian Governement needs to start working with data which has to be captured intelligently. Solid information is crucial for effective planning of the economy. What we should focus on Nairaland is how to get good leaders into office and how to sell solid ideas to our leaders. We don't need these daily doses of segregation and hatred. Cheers.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by AjanleKoko: 2:02pm On Nov 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Nigeria currently spends about 796 BILLION Naira yearly on generators and generator accessories. Imagine if that amount was spent on RENEWABLE energy sources instead? Do you realize how much the country would, not only save in Energy but also in money and lives?

True talk. Kinda stating the obvious in fact.
saworoide:

and If you must know, I live in Nigeria and I have not experienced power failure for 1 hour in the last 2 years. You may say it is lie again because you truly do not know everything about Nigeria. Now, this situation is not typical of everywhere in Nigeria but at least it is still a part of Nigeria. In my company, a lot of foreigners will do anything not to leave the country that fellow Nigerians call hell. And before you say they are overpaid, we have a lot of them that are retired and yet choose to remain in the country doing their own private business.

@saworoide, even in Aso Rock, PHCN strikes on occasion. Even in Oshogbo, Jebba, Shiroro, and Kainji, PHCN still dey take light.
The only really good place I think was FAAN staff quarters in Ikeja. Power was almost 24/7 there, because of the airport. But how does that help us?
As per the foreigners. . . we all know how these things work, pal. We sef dey work for multinational. Those guys are here to make not just big salaries, but to STEAL!
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Labelle(f): 2:04pm On Nov 11, 2009
@Rossike.

Friend, don't get excited all too quickly. It is apparent you have'nt read my post, take a little time to re-read and you'll see that my grouse isn't with the white race, or said race being somewhat superior or whatever else you jabbed up there, but rather with the growing divisions (mostly fueled by hate) within the black race. That's the reason you'll always remain an object of mockery to the rest of the larger more civilised world. You all act like rabid sniffer dogs. Look at all these people for instance, fuming over status symbols and what not, what basis is all this? Really ?
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Afam(m): 2:26pm On Nov 11, 2009
Redman44:

There are a lot of opportunities in Nigeria currently, but Diasporeans are finding it difficult to tap into these opportunities because of obsolete infrastructure and an unstable business environment. Diasporeans should not be condemned for demanding for good and visionary leaders in Nigeria. With the hatred being directed at Diasporeans on Nairaland these days, I'm getting scared that people at home will oppose and victimize Nigerians abroad when they come back home. Nothing beats the experience of living in Europe, Australia and New Zealand and North America. What the Nigerian Government should be doing is to make Nigeria receptive and conducive for Diasporeans who relocate back home. Some of the Diasporeans will be coming back with knowledge, better technologies and hard cash that will be invested in Nigeria. There are many good guys of Nigerian origin in the Police force in Britain and America. These guys can be brought to reposition the Nigerian Police Force. The problem with Nigeria is that people are just too envious of the progress of their fellow citizens. We need to start pulling resources together and work towards a common destiny. The poverty in Nigeria is too much at the moment. All sectors of the economy are in a bad shape and there seems to be no Minister or politician who is willing to take the bull by the horns and do things the right way It is very sad.

You have raised some valid points but have tainted them with misinformation and baseless allegations.

Who hates Nigerians living outside Nigeria?

Do you believe that you have the right to insult Nigerians living in Nigeria just because you are living outside Nigeria?

Why shifting the goal post and manufacturing issues where there are none?

No one is begging any Nigerian living outside Nigeria to come back to Nigeria. The decision to live outside Nigeria is usually personal to those involved.

Unfortunately, your allegation should be the other way round. It is the Nigerians living outside Nigeria that have been insulting Nigerians living in Nigeria and calling the country all manner of names.

There is a world of difference between criticism and insult.

I criticize the government and its agencies and I have been asked to defend some of those criticisms and because I base everything I say on facts no one has victimized me as I produce verifiable facts to back up my position.

As a Nigerian living in Nigeria I reserve the right to complain and discuss issues concerning Nigeria including unwarranted insults by other Nigerians living outside Nigeria.

So, no one is hating you, as a matter of fact the hard cash you talk about may not even measure up when compared to what Nigerians make in Nigeria legitimately so this idea of trying to make it seem that Nigeria is hell and everyone looks up to those outside for help may be misleading a lot of people.

You cannot insult people and expect them to clap for you. Or is it really impossible for one to make his/her points without the insults?
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Vacora(m): 2:31pm On Nov 11, 2009
WTF? seriously? Sometimes i wonder about these subtle digs at Nigerians abroad? I am not going to be dragged into this one, Nigerians abroad simply refuse to accept and applaud mediocrity as norm.  Nigeria can do better. The whole world is watching. If i may here are two quotations:

""Now my friends, I am opposed to the system of society in which we live today, not because I lack the natural equipment to do for myself but because I am not satisfied to make myself comfortable knowing that there are thousands of my fellow men who suffer for the barest necessities of life. We were taught under the old ethic that man's business on this earth was to look out for himself. That was the ethic of the jungle; the ethic of the wild beast. Take care of yourself, no matter what may become of your fellow man. Thousands of years ago the question was asked; ''Am I my brother's keeper?'' That question has never yet been answered in a way that is satisfactory to civilized society
Yes, I am my brother's keeper. I am under a moral obligation to him that is inspired, not by any maudlin sentimentality but by the higher duty I owe myself. What would you think me if I were capable of seating myself at a table and gorging myself with food and saw about me the children of my fellow beings starving to death".
1908 speech

"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe" - Frederick Douglas
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by asha80(m): 2:35pm On Nov 11, 2009
I hope will not continue to shift the goal post on what a sane society should be.I did not need to leave nigeria a year ago to know that something is actually wrong with the country.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by nolongTing: 2:51pm On Nov 11, 2009
Afam:

You have raised some valid points but have tainted them with misinformation and baseless allegations.

Who hates Nigerians living outside Nigeria?

Do you believe that you have the right to insult Nigerians living in Nigeria just because you are living outside Nigeria?

Why shifting the goal post and manufacturing issues where there are none?

No one is begging any Nigerian living outside Nigeria to come back to Nigeria. The decision to live outside Nigeria is usually personal to those involved.

You are an old FAILURE stuck in Nigeria, its not our fault you cannot get a visa.

Labelle:

@Rossike.

Friend, don't get excited all too quickly. It is apparent you have'nt read my post, take a little time to re-read and you'll see that my grouse isn't with the white race, or said race being somewhat superior or whatever else you jabbed up there, but rather with the growing divisions (mostly fueled by hate) within the black race. That's the reason you'll always remain an object of mockery to the rest of the larger more civilised world. You all act like rabid sniffer dogs. Look at all these people for instance, fuming over status symbols and what not, what basis is all this? Really ? 

Lighten up, you are wrong! you sounded like you wanted to top yourself and your low selfesteem shinned as bright as the sun! @Rossike has given you the right advice.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Redman44(m): 3:01pm On Nov 11, 2009
@ asha 80 @Afam

You're right on target. However, when some Diasporeans return to Nigeria, will they be welcomed back? Will they be allowed to set things right in a country where people are very hostile to change? If a scholar like Chinua Achebe returns to Nigeria, sees the way things are done in the university he returns to, will he be allowed to make some changes? Professor Niyi Osundare tried it and got his hands burnt sad sad When he decided to return to the United States, he gave a scorching inaugural lecture '' THE UNIVERSE IN OUR UNIVERSITIES '' which was carried by major Nigerian Newspapers. Do Nigerians really desire change in the polity? What we need to do is to forget about whether we are based in Nigeria or not and forge a common bond that will rescue our country from the jaws of the monsters that rule it. Nigerians need to work on their thinking and learn to accept new ways of doing things. With all the new internet technologies available, is it not a shame that Nigerians have not been able to organize mass protests and pressure groups that will fight for change in the country? God help us.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by redsky1: 3:02pm On Nov 11, 2009
i have a list of things that affect the everyday man and woman in Nigeria that I want those who think Nigeria is heaven on earth to please explain why in the year 2010 (cos we ar almost there) we rank so low in providing for citizens oh and by the way it is the governments responsibility to provide basic infrastructure for its citizens.

Health care

Education

Electricity

Water

Employment opportunities

Law and order

Good governance

Security

Human rights

Welfare provision for the very vulnerable in society

this is not a naija bashing session just what can we do to improve things - i grew up in the UK but if nigeria sorted itself out I would be on the first plane back asap .
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Afam(m): 3:03pm On Nov 11, 2009
asha 80:

I hope will not continue to shift the goal post on what a sane society should be.I did not need to leave nigeria a year ago to know that something is actually wrong with the country.

Has anyone here whether living within or outside Nigeria state that all is well with Nigeria the way things are?

If yes, please point me to the person or his/her comments.

It seems that those who have been insulting other Nigerians have hit a brick wall as regards justifying such actions and now diversions are being created, comparisons are being made the core issues instead of addressing what has led to 5 pages on this thread - Issue of unwarranted insults by Nigerians living outside Nigeria.

This is why I always advocate for facts because when you base discussions on facts a lot of people who have no respect for facts simply disappear while others will do all they can to shift the goal post or create diversions.

Quite a lot of things are wrong in Nigeria and no one can dispute that. So, let us not manufacture an issue and use same as a basis to justify the insults some of us have kicked against.

nolongTing:

You are an old FAILURE stuck in Nigeria, its not our fault you cannot get a visa.

I didn't know that one needed visa to live in Nigeria. Damn! I must go check with the Immigration immediately. It seems that we now have a case of people weeping more than the bereaved.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by nolongTing: 3:03pm On Nov 11, 2009
Everyone knows that in Nigeria Money talks and Bulls$%^t walks,

[size=13pt]Abuja — Bank of Industry (BoI) said yesterday that remittances from about 20 million Nigerians in Diaspora (NIDO) accounted for more than $7 billion of Africa 's $14 billion in 2008.[/size]

No one call the cash Diasporian cash do they? look this Diasporian war is a stupid NL invention; If any Nigerian returns to Nigerian how are Nigerians going to know he/she is a Diasporian?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I have realised that Nigerians living outside of Nigeria are more Nigerian than Nigerians in Nigeria.  Why? because living in the west i.e UK, France, USA, Canada makes you more aware of your Identity.  On the other hand the average Nigerian in Nigeria is more concerned about putting 3 square, meals on the table and lets be honest survival!

But only in Nigeria do you have the flip side where some are sooooo rich and the Law is soooo lax that Nigeria is paradise to them;  as far as I am concerned Nigeria is a beautiful giant that is sleeping right now.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by nolongTing: 3:08pm On Nov 11, 2009
redsky1:

i have a list of things that affect the everyday man and woman in Nigeria that I want those who think Nigeria is heaven on earth to please explain why in the year 2010 (cos we ar almost there) we rank so low in providing for citizens oh and by the way it is the governments responsibility to provide basic infrastructure for its citizens.

Health care

Education

Electricity

Water

Employment opportunities

Law and order

Good governance

Security

Human rights

Welfare provision for the very vulnerable in society

this is not a naija bashing session just what can we do to improve things - i grew up in the UK but if nigeria sorted itself out I would be on the first plane back asap .

Yep its bad but come on! The government cannot do everything! All those items on that list are opportunities for private entrepreneurs can't you see? Like JFK said:

[size=13pt]ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. [/size]
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by nolongTing: 3:10pm On Nov 11, 2009
Afam:

I didn't know that one needed visa to live in Nigeria. Damn! I must go check with the Immigration immediately. It seems that we now have a case of people weeping more than the bereaved.

Thats right old man, get your walking stick and trod along to join the looooooooooooooooooong queue of Nigerians desperate to flee!
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Labelle(f): 3:28pm On Nov 11, 2009
nolongTing:

Lighten up, you are wrong! you sounded like you wanted to top yourself and your low selfesteem shinned as bright as the sun! @Rossike has given you the right advice.

Lol really? Please show me ANY part of my post which remotely suggests I might be compromised, esteem wise. In case you missed it, its on the 4th page, probably the last post, take your time to read (don't think it's so much of a chore), Nonetheless, I appreciate your zeal to make a point.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by MyJoe: 3:33pm On Nov 11, 2009
Afam’s argument since the beginning of this thread is spot on and there is hardly anything to add to it. The tendency by Nigerians based abroad to lump those who live within the country’s borders together as an undifferentiated mass of people who are content to wallow in misery while smiling and hoping to win a visa lottery is reprehensible in the extreme.
While there is no excuse for what the Nigerian elite have made of Nigeria and it is deeply saddening for all us, those who criticise must maintain a decent respect for facts.

@OP
The conclusion that ALL foreign based Nigerians know nothing about Nigeria is not entirely correct. You can live outside the country and know what is happening in the country, for like many have pointed out, we all get information from the media. But is that the same thing as living in the country? No. Media reports tend to exaggerate and we all know this. If you have never been to the United States, for instance, it is easy for you to think that New York and Los Angeles are full of kids running amuck with pistols and making mince meant of anyone in sight. But when you live there, you feel quite safe. True, those things do happen, but they don’t happen everyday. They don’t happen with such frequency as to put the fear of God into people.
In recent months, crime rate, particularly armed robbery, car snatching and car breaking, has plummeted drastically in Lagos metropolis. It is now virtually impossible for robbers to work unchallenged at a spot for one hour like we used to see in the past. Now, you simply don’t hear of bank robberies, in Lagos, that is. How much of that has the media conveyed across the ocean?
Recently a company offered to provide bullet resistant vests for German players when they go for the football tourney in South Africa next year. Now that is based on the media reports, as that country has hosted many international events without a single delegate being attacked.

@ nolongTing
So you really think everyone wants a visa? You remind me of the Lagos fellow in a TV series who took a razor to his own skin to produce visual evidence to impress a Belgian embassy official to give him a visa to enable him flee this vortex of torture where Neanderthals reign supreme.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by MUZBO(m): 3:43pm On Nov 11, 2009
walakolobo:

Yeap, they argue blindly- what is wrong with them?
Damn straight! Kobojunkie and his possé of ignorant a$s aliens don't know jack about Naija.
Not ALL of them sha. . .some are wise.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by nolongTing: 3:55pm On Nov 11, 2009
MyJoe:

@ nolongTing
So you really think everyone wants a visa? You remind me of the Lagos fellow in a TV series who took a razor to his own skin to produce visual evidence to impress a Belgian embassy official to give him a visa to enable him flee this vortex of torture where Neanderthals reign supreme.

Since when did:  "@Afam You are an old FAILURE stuck in Nigeria, its not our fault you cannot get a visa."   mean that every Nigerian wants a visa?  earlier I wrote:

nolongTinglink=topic=349795.msg4903012#msg4903012 date=125795002:

[size=13pt]But only in Nigeria do you have the flip side where some are sooooo rich and the Law is soooo lax that Nigeria is paradise to them;  as far as I am concerned Nigeria is a beautiful giant that is sleeping right now.[/size]

Is that Afam dude your uncle or brother?  And that razor story WTF? You must be talking about your father not me you silly fool!
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by nolongTing: 3:59pm On Nov 11, 2009
Labelle:

Lol really? Please show me ANY part of my post which remotely suggests I might be compromised, esteem wise. In case you missed it, its on the 4th page, probably the last post, take your time to read (don't think it's so much of a chore), Nonetheless, I appreciate your zeal to make a point.

a quick reminder is no problem you wrote:

Labelle:

[size=13pt]We are indeed a sickly cursed race with (apparently) no hope of revival, old young, learned illiterate, Diasporians or indigenes all are guilty.

Please someone tell me, what is the basis of this thread? A 3rd world gathering at its best.[/size]

that sounds quite sad  grin cheesy wink smiley
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by MyJoe: 4:12pm On Nov 11, 2009
nolongTing:

Since when did:  "@Afam You are an old FAILURE stuck in Nigeria, its not our fault you cannot get a visa."   mean that every Nigerian wants a visa?  Is that dude your uncle or brother?  And that razor story WTF? You must be talking about your father not me you silly fool!

I see you can't talk without cursing. I do not engage in cursing matches, now with women on the streets, and not with them in an anonymous forums I will not reply you in kind.

Now let me help you reason, if you can do that without clapping your hands in the air and spewing out a stream of curses.

nolongTing:

The above statement, made without Afam having let on that he ever craved a visa and was denied one, accorded the most basic interpretation,  does mean that you think everybody who is "still in that country" is there because the embassies would not smile at them with a visa.

The razor story comes from a brilliant Nigerian family TV series titled Edge of Paradise, can't recall the direct's name.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by nolongTing: 4:21pm On Nov 11, 2009
MyJoe:

I see you can't talk without cursing. I do not engage in cursing matches, now with women on the streets, and not with them in an anonymous forums I will not reply you in kind.

Now let me help you reason, if you can do that without clapping your hands in the air and spewing out a stream of curses.

The above statement, made without Afam having let on that he was ever craved a visa and was denied one, accorded the most basic interpretation,  does mean that you think everybody wants a visa.

The razor story comes from a brilliant Nigerian family TV series titled Edge of Paradise, can't recall the direct's name.

paleeeeeeeeeeeeeeez biyatch, I apply logic to solve problems and earn a living, some Nigerians like yourself are nosy and rude and only understand one form of language - I put you down like a smelly LovePeddler - period.  Now you have changed your tune and want to act like you are decent; look stop all this reasoning sh%^t you came over like an ignorant fool and got dissed,  I know it hurts but let it drop and walk on by.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by AjanleKoko: 4:30pm On Nov 11, 2009
Thread has gone south as usual.
Time to move on.
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by MyJoe: 4:32pm On Nov 11, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Thread has gone south as usual.
Time to move on.
Yes.

@nolongTing

Goodluck!
Re: All Diasporians Know Nothing About Nigeria, They Make Me Laugh When They Argue. by Labelle(f): 5:08pm On Nov 11, 2009
nolongTing:

a quick reminder is no problem you wrote:

that sounds quite sad  grin cheesy wink smiley

If you cannot see how that statement relates to the unnecessary rattling/division spewed on this thread, then it is pointless furthering a conversation with you.

What I am anxious about is how that some how can be likened to inferiority.

My whole rant was simply attributing the backwardness of a race to its personal weaknesses, the continual urge to attain self-bliss by reigning disdainful remarks on a supposed 'brother', and further creating even wider divides amongst what ought to be 'a people'. Don't you somewhat find inner joy reminding that other Nigerian how hopeless his lot is, because he is based in a failed state?? Even the odd jobbers are trailing along, singing the glory of the Western states who do not give a rat ass about their carcasses.

Incase you missed the point, you are the point. I see no basis for this rivalry, if you do, please tell.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Students Disrupt Ibb Camapign Again In Abeokuta / Jonathan Urges Court To Dismiss Oyinlola’s Suit / Again, Court Stops Hike In Electricity Tariff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.